[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should mind uploaded persons and heavily altered cyborgs be affected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: infomorph.jpg (18 KB, 268x512) Image search: [Google]
infomorph.jpg
18 KB, 268x512
Should mind uploaded persons and heavily altered cyborgs be affected by turn undead ability? These are things that should be dead, yet they keep moving and thinking via unnatural means, thus they are pretty similar to undead of traditional D&D-esque fantasy

On one hand, they aren't powered by the negative energy plane (or positive in case of mummies), but on the other, magic should operate on poetic logic not made up physics.
>>
>>46851994
Nah. But I'm sure there are some construct-related variants lying around that should work just as well on them.
>>
>>46851994
in the universes in which turn undead works, it wouldn't work on robots because that's not what undead means in those universes.
>>
>>46851994
Undead are specifically individuals and beings who have been brought back from the dead. Joe's walking corpse actually has Joe's spirit/soul rattling around in it.

Uploading a mind into a robot or mainframe is effectively creating a copy of a brain pattern, not bringing a spirit back from the dead. Instead of bringing Joe back you've effectively just made Joe 2. As much as it might act like Joe 1, Joe 2 is its own entity. More importantly, Joe 2 does not originate from the land of the dead and thus does not qualify as undead.
>>
>>46851994
Does it work on this kind of vampire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdCvGDpM9k
>>
>>46851994
>via unnatural means
Science is always perfectly natural, if man made. It's physics, and all physics are natural.

If turn undead worked on uploaded people, it would work on AIs, sentient robots and any sort of manufactured being too.
>>
>>46852175
not op, but I'd like to ask, if a spirit possessed a machine/A.I. would it work then?
>>
>>46852645
If it's a spirit returned from the dead, then yes.
>>
>>46851994
That depends entirely whether the mind uploading process also transfers the soul. THEN it depends on whether the movement of a soul is treated as "death".

....and if that were true, shamans with their spirit forms would be considered undead.

If it's a NEW soul entirely, well. I dunno what it is, but it ain't UNdead.

Cyborgs are more or less alive, unless they have implants specifically designed to revive them and scratch far too close to necromancy.
>>
>>46852175
What about using Joe 1's body, but with a mind that is either a copy of Joe's or entirely from somewhere else?

Applies for both magical (comes back wrong/something else comes back) or scientific (using an AI/mind-copy/mechanical mind), methods, but the important thing being that there's a corpse in there
>>
>>46853157
If you're using science and the body's mechanics, it can't actually have died very long at all or it would no longer be useful.

If you're not using the body as the primary motivator, than any turn undead spell wouldn't work, as it would not affect the primary motivator.

If you ARE using the body as the primary motivator, it's probably too fresh to have every fully died.
>>
>>46853254
I'm thinking of science* examples, emphasis on the asterisk - the one I'm thinking of in particular was from Mortal Engines, but anything Frankenstein-y would work, so long as the controlling force isn't Joe or Joe's soul - could be a demon summoned to use the body like a puppet, could be an electrode net that sparks the brain to make the body move, and the body could be jigged up with all sorts of preservatives and chemicals*
>>
>>46851994
Just pull a HAL, pull its plug.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.