[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wqdt/ Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: WeekendQuestDiscussionThread.gif (461 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
WeekendQuestDiscussionThread.gif
461 KB, 600x600
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

>QM
How different would your current Quest be if you started it anew from the beggining?

>Player
What's the strongest emotion or sensation that a quest or a MC has ever given you and when was it?

>Bonus
Would you buy Reviewanon a drink if you meet him/her?
>>
>>46851971
>How different would your current Quest be if you started it anew from the beggining?
I don't think I ever would reset, it's kind of a one time deal. Also, people seem attached to the characters.
>>
>>46851971
>How different would your current Quest be if you started it anew from the beginning?
So very different. It was my first quest and I made a ton of rookie mistakes I wish I could retcon, but I'm in it for the long haul now.
>>
Was there a wqdt on friday?
>>
I wonder how many people are up to posting in a quest thread at this hour. I've been thinking about trying it
>>
>>46852064
Most Burgers are sleeping right now. If you want players you'll have to wait.
>>
>>46852058
I don't think so. I believe this is the first wqdt of the weekend.
>>
>>46852014
It's a hypothetical question, not a "would you" question.
>>
Hm, should I run a star wars quest or an OC quest as my first, and hopefully only quest?
>>
>>46852282
I would say Star Wars first because it already has a fanbase behind and getting players will be easier. It will let you learn for the time you might try an OC quest. Which in my opinion is harder to do.
>>
>>46852282
>>46852306
Yes, do a fanfic quest first.
Having an already established setting as a base is both easier and attracts a larger audience.

Don't do OC quests unless you already have experience
>>
I miss crusader quest whatever happened to it anyway?
>>
>>46852306
>>46852324
Problem is, most people want clone quests and I absolutely hate writing detailed range combat.
>>
>>46852371
How about doing one about a Clone who is the only survivor of his platoon. Its considered dead by the rest and then manages to survive on its own.

Meets an hermit Jedi and slow yet steadily develops Force Powers.That way you could focus on lightsabers and not ranged combat.

I mean, it is said anywhere that clones couldn't become Jedis?
>>
>>46852387
>I mean, it is said anywhere that clones couldn't become Jedis?
Force sensitivity can only develop in a clone if the original DNA donor was Force Sensitive. Jango Fett wasn't, so that plot would fall flat.
>>
>>46852395
Some people think jango might have been force sensitive, but only very mildly so a clone would probably be a weak ass force user anyway and thats only if they gain the ability to actually use the force some how.
>>
>>46852371
Don't run a clone quest and you'll be fi
>>
>>46852410
I highly doubt he's force sensitive, but I guess it's up to Disney to determine that.

Even if that was the case, a clone would either desert or return to active duty, not become some Jedi. And if they did become a Jedi, it would take enough time for the clone wars to end or they would still be branded a deserter and shunned from the Jedi order.
>>
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jek-14
The only canon force wielding clone of Jango Fett, who became one of Count Dookus personal "Sith Clones". He was created when Count Dooku channeled extreme amounts of powerful force powers into his pod when he was in early development.
>>
What's the best (or worst) drawfaggotry you've ever seen for a quest?
>>
>>46852463
Predator Quest had two really good ones.
>>
>>46852331
He died.
>>
>>46852476
Specific examples?
>>
File: pq1.jpg (326 KB, 1200x448) Image search: [Google]
pq1.jpg
326 KB, 1200x448
>>46852497
>>
>>46852573
Jesus fucking christ.

Nice.
>>
>>46852573
I doubt he made that. He just took a picture and added text.
>>
>>46852604
Just snapped a picture of three real life predators posing, y'know.
>>
File: 1460657032935.jpg (8 KB, 309x85) Image search: [Google]
1460657032935.jpg
8 KB, 309x85
>>46852616
>>
>>46852282
>>46852371
Then make a Jedi or Sith Quest? There's an untapped interest in those areas since most of the recent SW quests have either been about clones or smugglers.

>Padawan on a quest to become a Jedi Knight or a seasoned Jedi Knight takes on a padawan and partakes in a war, teaching this padawan stuff on the side and being an example for him/her.
>Powertrip Sith quest, becoming stronger and stronger and smarter. Make allies and enemies outside and inside the Sith Empire, surpass your Master, become a Sith Lord and rise to the top through strength and deceit.
>>
I wanna do a Hero quest with a mixed Daredevil/Green Arrow feeling to it:
A man decides to become a masked vigilante and clean up the crime and corruption in his city. There could be individual chapters/arcs that deal with different plot lines, but they all have continuity and they tie together. The Players decide what kind of hero they are. (Are you like the Punisher or like Daredevil or something in-between for a concrete example?)

I imagine the first thread would introduce the main character, what is other identity is, some of the people around him, and push him into the general direction of the first plot. At the end of it, the origin story could be determined or it could be fleshed out over time.
>>
>>46852879
With powers or nah? Cause if it's capeshit i'm fucking in, love that shit.
>>
>>46852726
I always wanted to right a Jedi doing some sleuthing, but I'm not that familiar with SW's lore.
>>
>>46853062
Never been a fan of heroes with super powers like Superman or Flash.
>>
>>46853109
Tone it down to street-low city tier at max. Heroes like Spiderman or Thing, not heroes like Hulk or Thor. Aquaman at max.
>>
How many people have a full-time job and make the time to run quests?
>>
>>46852879
>>46853062
>>46853109
>>46853608
How about something more akin to Nightcrawler? It allows the MC to govern a larger city while mostly relying on their own physical strength and dexterity to fight crime while using their teleportation ability to save people and get from one location to the next in no time?
>>
>>46853870
This could work if it takes a good amount of energy or it's painful to teleport. That would nullify the option of constantly teleporting all over the place, especially mid-fights.
>>
>>46853898
Maybe it just takes time. I've been tinkering around with a quest where the MC has the choice of becoming a teleporter in the start, and in the beginning he can only teleport if his feet have been in the same place for three seconds, and it produces a very high pitched sound outwards.
>>
>>46853913
>they become the perfect sniper
Now try to make it interesting
>>
How much lewdness is tolerated on /tg/ when it comes to drawquests? I feel that mods are more severe toward pictures than writing.
>>
>>46854015
Don't.
>>
>>46854015
Probably none whatsoever. If you want to do a lewd drawquest, do it on /aco/, there's one running there right now that the mods haven't removed.
>>
>>46854015
I too would wish to see butt-naked Rachel, but unfortunately, you'll have to keep that to a third-party website.
>>
>>46854015
Go to /aco/ theres a lewd quest there going on and they love that shit, here anything graphic is not really allowed.
>>
>>46853913
I remember a book that I read in my Teens. I think it was about a girl called Peggy Sue who learned to hypnotize and afterwards gets more powers including time traveling.

The thing is that every time she time traveled regardless of it it was backwards or forward a great noise was done, and this was because the space that she used to occupy was suddenly empty and the surrounding oxygen made the noise when they occupied that same space.
>>
>>46854014
They become "deadshot"-incarnated, a hired assassin that uses a sniper and never misses and has never been caught.

Make it a modern Dark Brotherhood-esque quest where the MC goes down a hit list provided by a company in the private sector all while discovering a deep and twisted conspiracy.
>>
>>46854097
I guess you could just keep adding extra security every hit they do. Suddenly the rooftops are patrolled and there's dogs on the street and cameras everywhere.

It becomes a stealth game where you can teleport, but anyone in hearing range will come and investigate.
>>
File: thedarknessultimatecover.jpg (354 KB, 750x1159) Image search: [Google]
thedarknessultimatecover.jpg
354 KB, 750x1159
Player Question:
If there would be a "The Darkness" Quest, which age would you like the vessel (MC) to be from?
>>
>>46854158
And the more you teleport to get into position for the kill, the wilder the dogs will become from the constant high pitched sound.
>>
>>46854192
A twenty-something going on her thirties single mother struggling to keep her and her son fed and paying rents and utilities.
>>
Is running a quest similar to a pre-existing one at the same time a bad idea?
>>
>>46854244
No.
>>
>>46852726
Still waiting for a Sith Apprentice quest done right. I hated the smut-shit it devolved into.

>>46854244
As long as it's not exactly the same, it's a free-for-all.
>>
>>46854192

An elderly novelist, beloved and successful, retired on an island somewhere. He has an idea for a literary novel that may immortalize his works, but he fears it's the last act of a hack grasping for legitimacy. He walks the beach, the wine and the sun combining to form a pleasant blur over reality. He worries about his much-younger girlfriend as well. She wants to marry him, have a kid. He knows he's not long for this world, and it would he cruel to make her a young widow raising a child by herself. Or is that just cowardice, just one more happiness he's denying himself because he's afraid of looking like an old fool, a silver-bearded and wrinkled new father?

Then he gets the Darkness and fights a demon or something, whatever.
>>
>>46854045
I'd prefer the R&D chick desu
>>
>>46854335
>>46854045
>not CBW
>>
>>46854192
A young boy in kindergarten who is then thrown into a hostile world which rips his innocence away.

All the while he has to keep fighting against The Darkness which is slowly but surely either consumes or corrupts him.
>>
>>46854192
A young teenager with white hair who has a dark and mysterious past ;^)
>>
>>46854232
I'd rather just rewatch witchblade desu
>>
>>46852879
>Green Arrow

PTSD flashbacks of CW here
>>
>>46854333
I like it. I'll like it even more if he feels an irrepressible urge to make literary comparisons during Darkness episodes or just rambles out some massive chunk of prose which has little to do with the current situation and more to do with his inner angst.
>>
>>46854542

>Darkness tentacles are eviscerating everything in sight as he fights a cartel that's threatening his beloved island. Tentacles do the work, he's sitting in a comfortable chair, absent-mindedly swirling a Cuba Libre in his hand.
>"Jesus, is this all a metaphor for my fears of sexual inadequacy in my old age?"
>Darkness tears a guy literally apart, blood everywhere. The author takes a deep drink.
>"There's the cumshot. God, I really am a hack."
>>
>>46854635
>>46854542
Hnf. But we all know how it's going to be: some kind of operator operating operationally, because that's always how it ends.
>>
>>46854244
Depends if want to run it in the same time slot. Which quest are you talking about?
>>
German Hollow Quest 12 is live boyz.

>>46855229
>>
>>46854244
there has, for a time, been 2 SMT quests running in the same timeslot. 3 if you cound Persona.
>>
>>46852604
>>46852625
No, but seriously the drawfag was amazing he made others of equal quality.
>>
>>46855877
Also, look at the symbol on the middle one's chest, if you search for predator quest, you'll see we designed that.
>>
What are some fun ways to fuck with the players?
>Write and post an update about how the MC finds his waifu dead and he goes insane
>Wait 1-3 minutes
>Delete post and post the real update
>>
>>46856022
meh
>>
>>46856043
Can't think of anything? That's a shame.
>>
>>46856022
>Do that
>Players get understandably upset
>Do real post
>Everyone thinks you retconned out of backlash
>Desperately claim 'i-it's just a prank bro'
>No one believes you
>Come off looking like a worse writer because of it

Great plan famalam.
>>
>>46856022
weak.

Better if it's framed in the context of player control. MC has been hinted at possession and/or not entirely in control of their body. It starts ramping up in intensity but not in consequences like not noticing you stole a pencil to realizing you just did a few war crimes drawing out the pain instead of dealing a quick kill like you intended.

Then, THEN you have a single post that involves casually killing the waifu before deleting it and having the MC blink a bit before continuing as normal.
>>
>>46856022
>waifu is dead
>just kidding
>it turns out you weren't kidding
>a necromancer reveals you've been lusting over a dancing corpse for the past few weeks
>waifu crumbles into dust
>laugh uproarishly
>>
QUESTION:

How often does a drawfag ragequit a quest, and how badly has it affected quests before?
>>
>>46856135
You missed the part where the post is deleted before anyone can make a reply...
Great reading skills famalam.
>>
>>46854837
>operator operating operationally

That's quaint. Until you realize giant monsters give no fucks.

Man I love the idea of opertionally operators getting slaughterted by giant monsters until they realize going /k/ is the wrong way to do things.
>>
>>46856334
Drawfags don't matter. It's a nice plus, nothing more.
>>
What percentage of your peak playerbase do you have to come down to in order to make continuing your quest seem pathetic
>>
>>46856454
0%
>>
>>46856454
If you go from 20 players to <5 then it's time to stop.
>>
>>46856454
Quests are by nature pathetic. You're dumping hours into bad writing for the sake of at most a few dozen dickheads for a reward that will at most be shits and giggles.

The only justification you need is if you're enjoying it.
>>
>>46856401
Now I want a drawfag to draw the waifu being gangraped by niggers while the MC cries like a faggot in the corner.

Or some guro. Preferably for a Planefag quest or a shitter of a similar caliber.
>>
>>46856508
As a QM I'd take that as a compliment that you would put in so much effort for my quest, even if you meant to be shitter.

I know planefag would fucking love it.
>>
>>46856504
So much this. Wasting time on writing quests is time wasted that you could spend on writing a book or getting a job etc.
>b-but it's a h-h-hobby
Pathetic excuse tbqh family.
>>
>>46856504
Not him, but I wonder if "I'm just not having fun anymore" is an acceptable reason to end a quest without a proper conclusion
>>
File: CLAIRE_TESTP_03.jpg (360 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [Google]
CLAIRE_TESTP_03.jpg
360 KB, 600x1000
>>46854352
I see that you are a man of refined taste.
>>
>>46856572
That was Whiskey's excuse. That and he apparently didn't get enough discussion in his threads.
>>
>>46856585
More than most
>>
>>46856585
>That and he apparently didn't get enough discussion in his threads.

Which was total bullshit, he got a lot. More than most Quests. Spoiled child.
>>
>>46856582
I prefer her portrait.
>>
File: 1460684839957.jpg (55 KB, 598x370) Image search: [Google]
1460684839957.jpg
55 KB, 598x370
>>46856625
>people are still this salty
>>
>>46856625
And that wasn't enough for him. Which I can understand. Back when I was running quests, player discussion was everything. Fuel for plot, my excuse to lose hours of sleep to post on a Laotian picture panel, excitement, ideas, it was everything.
>>
>>46856625
If you go back through the archives of the last couple of threads on his quest, there was literally close to no talking or discussing. His reasons weren't bullshit. Stop being such an entitled hater.
>>
>>46856667
I'm pretty sure the last thread before the thread he quit went to autosage cause of discussion. Granted it was due to backlash of how poorly handled his intrigue was and players blaming each other.

>>46856706
The last thread was the spy pulling on over on us. How was that entire fiasco 'no discussion'?
>>
>>46856625
>spoiled child
>Calling someone who probably dedicated up to 30+ hours writing entertainment for you spoiled
Holy shit the arrogance on this little shitter. I bet you've never written a single quest and still bitch like you own the place. Is that you, Vaelys?
>>
>>46856785
>>46856706
>>46856647
Defense Force is strong this morning goddamn.
>>
>>46856667
what's funny is that a different QM just mentioned how he found the lack of discussion REFRESHING.
>>
>>46856831
Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
>>
>>46856809
Stop acting like a spoiled kid and we we'll stop shitting on your attitude.

>>46856831
Tumblr-Vox isn't a good example.
>>
Whiskey is an entitled flakey piece of shit that should never run a quest again.
>>
File: 1460759164108.jpg (22 KB, 249x291) Image search: [Google]
1460759164108.jpg
22 KB, 249x291
>>46856625
>>46856882
I quit just to see you cry & bitch about it.
>>
>>46856867
>we
Sure bud.
>>
>>46856882
A lot of anger there, buddy. Seek help.
>>
>>46856882
Do you think he killed self out his depression yet?

I hope so.
>>
>>46856867
It, uh, wasn't Vox.
>>
>>46856928
Pretty sure he was in the AT-TE quest when it last ran when Observer mentioned Joker.
>I hope he killed himself
>>>/b/
>>
>>46856882
What did Whiskey run anyway_
>>
>>46856966
>Still alive
Damn. There is no justice in this world.
>>
>>46857012
You must have really loved his quest to hate him this much. I feel for you man.
>>
>>46857004
Republic Commando Quest. Started strong but progressively became shit until the QM quit.
>>
>>46857063
Fuck, i remember that i really enjoyed it.

Shame when quests end for good i dont really realise it because of how sparse updates can be
>>
>>46857063
>QM quit
In the most beta way possible too.

>Starts thread
>People trickling in since its been a long hiatus.
>Gives up before the first update, doesn't say anything, deletes Twitter.

It was pretty funny.
>>
>>46857139
You're really going all out with this bait, aren't you? I'll give you credit if whiskey actually responds with his trip on.
>>
Heres a question i´ve thought of given the current discussion

How often do QM´s quit and come back as a "different" QM ?

Anyone ever been caught doing it?
>>
>>46857174
Well you keep responding to me, it hasn't been exactly hard.

Like I think you responded to me three times at the spoiled child comment. You're good for some morning (You)s.
>>
>>46857222
SOMINUS is notorious for it and always gets caught way before he 'outs' himself.
>>
File: 1451428194293.jpg (67 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1451428194293.jpg
67 KB, 500x354
>>46857225
>You're good for some morning (You)s.
No problem. I always find the time to help the poor and unfortunate whom didn't get enough attention from their parents. :^) Have a great day, son.
>>
>>46857222
taleanon doesn't REALLY count, but regardless doesn't take a name and is very distinct in writing style even without one.

Unless tale is secretly ALSO a named QM, considering how persistently she posted on /tg/ despite the trolls.
>>
File: 1410529925136.png (275 KB, 906x653) Image search: [Google]
1410529925136.png
275 KB, 906x653
>>46856626
It's okay, I understand.
>>
>>46857281
Sick burn anon. You really showed him!

Man what happened to good flaming on the internet. Kinda shit nowadays.
>>
>>46857316
Don't worry, Rachel in her test plugsuit is amazing. But again, Rachel is amazing no matter what she wears.
>>
File: sheev.jpg (72 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
sheev.jpg
72 KB, 880x880
the butthurt is strong in this thread
>>
>>46857421
You're telling me.

It turned into a 'Whiskey's fanboy can't stop getting baited' episode. Again.

Fucking reruns.

We need new discussion.
>>
Let's talk about quests you like instead.
>>
>>46857463
Add "haters can't stop being salty" to that and we got a good rerun of what usually happens in these threads.
>>
>>46857491
Anon no one actually cares that much about RCQ. Once you sperged out over someone ribbing Whiskey a little people started fucking with you. It was pretty obvious. Chill out next time.
>>
>>46857469
This isn't the place for discussion of quests people don't feel spite for
>>
File: mouseguard-blackaxe3.jpg (506 KB, 1170x594) Image search: [Google]
mouseguard-blackaxe3.jpg
506 KB, 1170x594
Quest pitch:

Taking inspiration from the comic "Mouse Guard" by David Petersen, you're a Mouse Squire who wants to become a Teutonic Mouse Knight. It's the 1400 and there's a civil war raging across the kingdom and no one feels safe, not in the cities nor out in the countryside.

A quest filled with a mix of gritty war, a fight for survival, and a struggle to achieve knighthood amidst the chaos.
>>
>>46857552
>people
That implies multiple persons. Let's face it, you were both just flailing around at each other like a pair of autistic kids. Drop it.
>>
>>46857632
>Taking inspiration from the comic "Mouse Guard"
I'm out
>>
>>46857670
Different strokes for different people.
>>
>>46857469
I liked Magical Girl Liberty for a while, but I fell off when life got hectic
>>
Well, my last thread was pretty much a failure; i had only one player who stopped partaking after a while, the thread failed for the second time.

Should i just give up or should i just give another try?
>>
>>46857776
Maybe the premise just isn't hooking them
>>
>>46857776
It might be better to try a different quest.
>>
>>46857776
What was your quest?
>>
>>46857776
Mystery doesn't do well on a forum that loves shonen-styled adventures and grim science fiction.
>>
>>46857776
What was the quest?

Honestly either you gotta try another time frame or a different premise
>>
OPMUQ has returned, if you feel like jumping in, please feel free too, even if you have no idea what's going on.

>>46857630
>>
>>46857824
>>46857865
>>46857865

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Old%20Bone

it revolves about a skeleton detective simply named Grim in a low urban fantasy setting.

Every case was supposed to be drastically different according to the persona the player chooses. For an example: choosing the hellhound persona will increase Grim's sense of smell and so on.

>>46857806
>>46857816
>>46857833
funny thing is in the first and the second thread, both where positively received. I just don't know what went wrong....
>>
BBEG is beginning, today we might actually do something evil I hope

>>46857981
>>
>>46857222
EGO was that. And not very good at concealing, either. His name was a meme for bad QM's and bad QMing, and of course "everyone is EGO."
I'm glad that shit died.
>>
>>46857878
Glad to see you're back, but probably a bad move starting with your already in progress one, rather than a new one off.
>>
>>46857984
Hard to QM a mystery senpai. Maybe people gave you a chance and then it went to shit.
Basically impossible to QM a mystery quest well since all plot relevant things needs to be known by the players or you need to railroad really hard.
>>
>>46857984
One thing to remember is that almost every quest has three times as many lurkers as posters. Not sure why, just the way it is
>>
File: Badge and Gun.jpg (141 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
Badge and Gun.jpg
141 KB, 1191x670
Is the world ready for the return of Robot Cop and his sidekick the Bouncy Brunette?
>>
>>46857632
Approved
>>
>>46858041
Particapting can intimidate people believe it or not.
>>
File: merde.gif (818 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
merde.gif
818 KB, 400x225
>>46858071
I.. I thought you were dead...
Yes please
>>
>>46858074
I wish it didn't. Every time that little ticker goes up in the bottom right I feel like giggling, because it means one more person is invested enough in my silly stories to click his mouse at least three times
>>
>>46857632
Why does it have to be a mouse?
Why not just a person?
>>
>>46858041
>>46858074
What the fuck? There's no barrier to entry on 4chan and you don't have an identity either.

Yet I do keep hearing this about lurkers vs posters, and if the site stats are accurate it has to be true. Maybe it's all just FBI agents or journalists looking for their next scoop.
>>
>>46857984
Your faithful player here. Sorry man I was really really busy that wednesday
>>
>>46858074
No shit when participation can make people jump you like rabid fucking sharks unless you agree to whatever dumb fucking plan they have in mind.
Imagine trying to get into HMQ during the SS/FB debacle. Whatever you picked half the fucking thread jumped you right away.
>>
>>46858104
Because that's boring af. If it's a mouse, you can do funny spins on it and explore the world in a different way.
>>
>>46858120
Well I know only lurked Hive Queen back in the day cause I wasn't as knowledgeable about everything as my fellow anons and felt I couldnt make an educated vote, so I didn't.
>>
>>46858030
>>46858041
So i just moved on? i think the quest had some potentials to be honest.
>>46858136
hello anon. there is no need to apologize.
>>
>>46858140
>tolerating that shit in your threads
QMs need to slap some face now and then
>>
>>46858196
>move
>>
>>46857984
When you have a small playerbase you really feel it when a player or players can't make it to your quest. Larger Quests have lots of players that can cover for each other but not much luck with smaller ones.
>>
>>46858104
In my opinion, because if you are a person, then your world revolves around other people mostly. Maybe the world will be fantasy one, but that only means that not all people are human.

If you are a mouse, then some things change, for example how a mouse looks at the world, and whatnot. How predators that no human would give a shit about (cats,owls,etc) become mythical beasts of epical proportions.

All in all, I think it sounds fun
>>
Harry Potter and the Deadly Dungeons will return on Sunday
>>
>>46858196
Try doing the session again on a weekend like this and advertise. See what happens and make judgement from there.
>>
>>46858041
Honestly im one of those people

I only really post if i think im contributing something of worth like a write in, if im just going for a typical vote especially if its already a popular one i dont bother
>>
>>46858120
Well anon for example I'm following all quests currently active on the board right now. But I've only posted in two of them because I haven't read any decision in the others I can contribute meaningfully to.

It's very often I go through several sessions of quests only reading because there's just nothing there to discuss or commit to with fervid attention. There's no underlying mechanics to discuss, there's no character defining decisions to lean in one direction or another, there's just a sequence and a strangely weak method following through with it like they're going through motions imitated from glances.

And this happens in the quests I like, too. Sometimes there's just not shit going on that is interesting. Character in a market? Not gonna bother with that thread. Character fighting or tackling issues with allies? Yep. Time to post up a storm. A challenge up ahead in the form of a puzzling enemy or otherwise unknown environ? Count me in, it's time for action.

Anything else? Fuck no, my attention span is short and I get bored of comfort zones fast.
>>
>>46858252
That trip makes me giddy
>>
>>46858244
Owls are known as feathered dragons that swoop down in the midst of night and Cats are fearsome hunters fathers tell their children about to scare them at night. Sounds pretty neat.
>>
>>46858289
>>46858041
Yeah I do that many times too. When I am not sure about a decision, or we have to vote about something I know it's not important for me, or we got multiple choices that doesn't give any advantage, then I just lurk, and wait for someone to make the call. then I roll with it.

I mean it's a "collective game" after all
>>
>>46858329
"Basilisks" are actually just snakes/lizards to the Mouses.
>>
>QMs who want active participation are entitled whiny shits
>Run your quest and be grateful I take the time to copy/paste a default vote option
>Your Quest is shit
>Oh you quit? Whiny entitled loser cuck fucker
>>
File: Smarterest.png (16 KB, 300x179) Image search: [Google]
Smarterest.png
16 KB, 300x179
>>46858694
Players aren't known as the smartest bunch of people.
>>
>>46858694
>Stirring shit
>>
File: 1st level adventuring.jpg (84 KB, 600x769) Image search: [Google]
1st level adventuring.jpg
84 KB, 600x769
>>46858316
If I were to describe the quest at the moment in one image, it would be this.

For those who weren't there, let me summarize. The premise is "what if Harry Potter were a first level magic user in old school D&D?" The session involved getting attacked by giant rats; the first time, Harry had Sleep prepared. The second time, thanks to the vagaries of random encounters, the party was mauled by a over a dozen giant rats - at which point they decided to book it.
>>
>>46858293
This.

NERV Bridge Simulator has got it all. Nonstop happenings, drawfagging, an imouto, waifus, and then it hit 700 posts while it's barely in the second digits.
>>
Is Crusty actually dead? I remember he posted something on twitter about stressing himself into the hospital and now there's been silence for about a month
>>
>>46858101
Not dead, just busy. I'm itching to do another arc though.
>>
>>46858041
I do it. Generally I don't care what decisions end up getting made and refresh every now and again to pass the time
>>
>>46859002
He ran like, last month and said he'd run the following week. He never showed up ;_;.

And talking about something totally different, is it wrong that i think a quest that, while not having the best writing and some shitty railroading, is the best right now solely because of the fanbase having awesome discussions?
>>
>>46859181
Not at all. You like what you like. But remember it's subjective.

What quest?
>>
Which quest do you think deserves more players? Which one is overrated?
>>
>>46859221
German Hollow Quest.

Team Piano motherfuckers, where we at?
>>
>>46857222
I only know one faggot who did it and its one of my friends in real life. I give him shit daily about it.
>>
>>46859255
>Which one is overrated?
DLQ hands down.
>>
What is the best questing platform and why is it Spacebattles?
>>
>>46859181
Yeah that's not wrong to think. After participating in quests saturated quests with non-discussion repetitive nonsensical useless shitposting it's nice to enjoy easy low commitment talk. Though the quest I liked for that is now long dead.
>>
>>46859308
I really want to try a space quest, but every time I start thinking of one it either becomes Gundam or Outlaw Star in my head, and that feels lazy
>>
>>46859304
>>46859308
Please not again.
>>
>>46859358
Every weekend until you like it.
>>
>>46859271
Its definitely the one im enjoying the most, but yeah we get railroaded a heck of a lot, we get forced to make promises and decisions that are pretty big considering. I honestly dont think any encounter rolls we make actually make a difference.
>>
>>46859405
Our rolls in this current fight do matter.

Nel just got fucked up.
>>
>>46859358
>Oh no, they're discussing quests!
>>
>>46859271
>>46859405

I'm surprised its had such a strong drawing. We also haven't been railroaded that hard yet but we have been a few times.

RIP Nel, now she's going to be fucking retarded.

>>46859425
He rolled that, not us BB.

>>46859354
Gundam is always good if you run it more like Char then the other guy he fought who never lost shit.
>>
>>46859434
fuck me i'm retarded, I forgot the end tags.
>>
>>46859434
I was thinking of doing something where you play as a discharged pilot who salvages an old mech, attaching one of a few possible arms to complete it. Then it would be trying to lead a small group of rebels to a neutral zone, where they can wait out the war in peace. I was even going to doodle some stuff for it
>>
File: 10.png (42 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
10.png
42 KB, 625x626
>>46859433
>>
>when you run in 2 minutes and you're having second thoughts
>>
>>46859500
Chill out dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwFKJuZJF0
>>
>>46859500
Do it you dubs having fuck. If it sucks dick, i promise i'll tell you.
>>
>>46859478
Which war man, has been like 3-6

>>46859500
Don't lose your faith. You got this, just link to this thread when you get it up mate. You are your own greatest enemy.
>>
File: 1438625871235.png (646 KB, 809x716) Image search: [Google]
1438625871235.png
646 KB, 809x716
>>46859500
You can do it! It'll be a ton of fun!
>>
>>46859531
It's not actually Gundam, I just keep feeling like it's too similar in concept
>>
>>46859518
This video motivates me way more than it should
>>
>>46859500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAyyg-qGJrg

JUST DO IT
>>
>>46859557
If they are rebels wouldn't they just be hunted down?

I knew that...totally.
>>
>>46859573
Just run it! I need to read a fresh mecha quest for more inspiration before I run one myself. Come on, becomes fuel for the great fires of mech quests, what're you waiting for?!
>>
>>46859500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQ0XiPxx4Q

Look at this goofy motherfucker. If he can live the fucking dream, you can run your quest.
>>
>>46859597
Yes, that's the point. They're trying to escape
>>
>>46859630
Sounds like a lot of dead people, Let do.
>>
>>46859666
I need to work on my doodling skills. I can barely make a straight line with this tablet I found
>>
Well, third time is the charm, i guess.

>>46859790
>>46859790
>>46859790
>>
>>46859802
STOP MAKING FUCKING EXCUSES TO US AND GIT GUD

ACTUALLY DON'T EVEN BOTHER
BECAUSE GUD ISN'T WHAT I READ QUESTS FOR
SAME FOR MOST

QUESTS ARE NOT READ FOR THE GUD OF THEIR CONTENT
BUT FOR THE GIT OF THEIR INTERACTIVITY

SO FUCKING GIT TO IT
>>
>>46859827
I'll hope in after my store run.

>>46859912
You fucking relax mate before stroking out. Its not like your running a quest after all.
>>
>>46859912
most QM inspiring line ever
>>
>>46858837
This is false though, we barely hit 400 replies
>>
>>46859947
One thread was 300+, the second was 400+
>>
>>46859941
Sure, I'll relax. But damn if meek excuses don't tick me off right proper.
>>
How would one run a Yu-gi-oh! quest?
>>
>>46859995
SKULL
MOTHERFUCKING
SERVANTS
>>
>>46859995
Don't, shit does not make sense.
>>
>>46859995
First I'd tackle it down to what I'd what the players to be doing.

Card battles. Then I'd go through deck simulations of the kind of fights I'd want them to have and compose decks like that.

Then from those decks I would create the people most likely to play them, figure out some mish-mashed plot and make some of those people antagonists and some others perhaps allies along the way.

It would not be related to the anime or manga, because there exists constraints in those that are annoying.

I have thought through at least this much for a MTG quest, and then promptly quit because I realized how bad of an idea it is.
>>
>>46859995
Play Dark Hole every turn
>>
>>46859995
Honestly you probably couldnt, it´d be too complicated to co-ordinate with players

Although the whole heart of the cards bullshit really lends itself to rolling a d20 and having crits and shit
>>
>>46859995
Ask MZion. Or don't, since he's running that gay-ass trap quest now.
>>
File: I-ship-it.png (103 KB, 657x675) Image search: [Google]
I-ship-it.png
103 KB, 657x675
>>46851971
>>Player
>What's the strongest emotion or sensation that a quest or a MC has ever given you and when was it?

Profound regret for my (and I guess other people's) actions. And hope for it to get better.

But also a fair amount of boundless creativity. Whenever I find a quest I like, I do a fair amount of drawing in it.
>>
>>46859995
>Are you a bad enough dude to escape the Shadowrealm and then punch Yugi in the face?
>>
>>46860082
Can I run a hyperviolent quest, but replace all the mentions of 'murder' with 'send to the shadow realm'
>>
>>46860111
This is ultimately the best advice.
Its what got me through posting on 4chan in the first place, all those years ago.
>>
Would you enjoy a quest where each new party & MC are the ones who killed the last?
>>
>>46860282
No. There'd be no point in getting invested
>>
>>46860282
Nah
>>
>>46860282
Would you be able to run it? That's a shitload of character to create, can you make them compelling enough, each time, so that players stay hooked?
>>
>>46860282
What >>46860300 said. You can't run a quest where you reset every thread.
>>
>>46860346
To be honest I'm not sure. The real quest begins when the New Party fails their extermination.
>>
Has anyone made a quest about a guardsman having to ally himself with any other xenos in order for them to survive a bigger threat?
>>
>>46860350
Wait, is that a challenge I hear?

Are you saying there could never possibly be such a thing as,
Retcon Quest?
>>
>>46860440
Groundhog Day Quest
>>
>>46860440
Well, i mean you can. I can even imagine something like a quest where the MC goes back to a set point in time every new thread could be pretty awesome, and he has to prevent some awful happening.
>>
File: 1456722993676.png (134 KB, 300x377) Image search: [Google]
1456722993676.png
134 KB, 300x377
>>46860439
>>
>>46860439
let's say the Tau and the Imperium were fighting in a backwater world, and by some complicated sequences one individual of each army has to temporaly ignore their grievanceswith each other in order to survive, let's say a tyranid invasion is the bigger threat perphaps?
>>
File: Merfolk-civ.png (2 MB, 1913x2443) Image search: [Google]
Merfolk-civ.png
2 MB, 1913x2443
so I've been wanting to work on pic related, mostly after drawing for a couple threads for a while and being inspired by Cyclops Civ.

Play a band of nomadic merpeople exiled by their main civ as they try to make a name for themselves in an aquatic world. Meet other races, discover lost ruins, and maybe eventually return to the home civ after a long search.

I definitely want to run it on a smaller scale. and keep a bit of an exploration/worldbuilding tone. and keeping the d100 Ideas/Self Improvement and the d20 Actions.

One thing i was debating was adding survival/resource mechanics, but I worry if that is too complicated.
>>
>>46859995
can't be done
>>
>>46860493
>*events (forgot to put right next to sequences)
>>
>>46860476
That reminds me, I still haven't finished my notes on a quest inspired by All you need is kill and Edge of Tomorrow. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>46860507
Is this not more of a civ then a quest? And using merfolk will probably seem like fetishbait, but if you do it properly it might work as a civ.
>>
>>46860493
*temporarily
>>
Re:Metagamer Quest

You are an avid gamer that through some accident dies and is re-incarnated as a traditional fantasy world.

You are given a few generic classes to pick at the start and from there onwards you become an already existing adventurer. The thing is though, the world is extremely deadly, like wtf thats stupid deadly dont expect your character to last over 2-3 threads deadly.

However when you die you´re character simply respawns again and gets to select another class, possibly even more advanced ones if you gather the right knowledge in the previous ones. You must use the knowledge previously acquired to do missions and fight foes. You are a metagamer-tm
>>
>>46860606
No.
>>
>>46860606
Give it lewds so you can use info gathered from a girl previously to seduce them like groundhog day
>>
>>46860606
>deadly
>not fun
>not goofy and stupid like my fantasy animes
It's shit
>>
>>46860606
>Thread #155
>You have FINALLY reached the Demon Lord's throne room
>You have lost all your loyal companions and your waifu/lover on the way there. Even your faithful warhound is dead.
>You face off against the Demon Lord
>After two critical failed rolls, you die
>Respawn at the beginning to pick a class
>Thread explodes into a fiery mess of anger and sadness.
>Nobody returns
>Quest dies
>>
>>46860606
More fun if, on death, you rollback the character and the world to some previous set point. Say the first day of every month. And so you get the chance to do it over again and do it better. You also retain knowledge.

So a plot like Mother of Learning, but it'll take place over a longer period of time,a and the status quo will actually change.
>>
File: 000000000.gif (960 KB, 488x275) Image search: [Google]
000000000.gif
960 KB, 488x275
>>46860697
Fucking. Perfection.
>>
A merchant of semetic origin quest.

You are a happy merchant in a small town, you know everyone and everyone knows you. your main goal is to horde the biggest amount of gold

Y/N?
>>
File: file.png (52 KB, 383x581) Image search: [Google]
file.png
52 KB, 383x581
>>46860598
Yeah I was debating where I should've posted this.

Mostly because my experiences with "Civs" has been more questy/story driven by nature (i mentioned Cyclops Civ earlier.)

I was thinking because of plot-driven nature, and the smaller scale might make it more questy.

But I'll take it over to the civ general thread when it pops up.

and as for merfolk being fetish bait? Kinda? I like drawing fish people, but i do hope to err away from that in the thread proper. Especially since i got multiple flavors of merfolk in mind.
>>
>>46860774
>hope to err away from that in the thread proper
>already called them by flavors
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.