[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game good ? / Munchkin General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: Munchkin_game_cover.jpg (77 KB, 443x642) Image search: [Google]
Munchkin_game_cover.jpg
77 KB, 443x642
Considering purchasing it, seems like a decent balance between competitive and cooperation/ seriousness and casual gameplay

just looking for a fun party game with a dungeon crawly feel, let me hear your thoughts on it/ any of its expansions
>>
I like it. I'd advise you not to get too many expansions though, they bog the game down.
>>
No it's dumb and has zero replayability.

It doesn't have a dungeon crawly feel and it's not a fun party game.

Buy it anyway so you can support the makers of GURPS.
>>
>>46851553
im suicidal any advice
>>
>>46851498 Mechanically it's shit.
The cards are funny but only once each.
>>
>>46851632
WHATS A GOOD BOARD GAME THEN
>>
>>46851498
It's fun to play, but only once or twice. The fun being laughing at new bullshit cards. Once they repeat, it becomes an absolute borefest.
If you have the money to spend and liked that one playthrough, you can spend the same money at the other base-sets and get a laugh (or two) out of them again.
Due to the really low replayability I would't recommend buying it, but those few playthroughs are fun, I guess.
>>
>>46851498
>just looking for a fun party game with a dungeon crawly feel,

You can't make a better choice than Munchkin.
>>
>>46851850
I disagree on the low replay value. The replay value comes from stitching up other players and fucking people over. The cards can be funny but you get over that quick and turn to either winning the game or making it difficult for other people.

>game that taught me how to palm cards to fuck other players dot jay peg
>>
>>46851498
The Adventure Time version is the only good one.

The rest are ugly and unfunny.
>>
>>46852002
Wait! There's...an adventure time version?
>>
I have never had a game of Munchkin end in a satisfying way. It just goes on forever until someone gives up and lets someone else win.
>>
>>46851540
Yeah, dungeons expansion is just horrible, but other ones I have are okay. You can easily end up having too many cards to play though. Also, one interesting thing is that you can combine different versions of games, particularly Cthulhu Munchkin and Star Munchkin produce pretty fitting combination.
>>46851850
Never had problem with having fun with Munchkin, but then again I the groups I have played with have been always good friends and we have been drunk as fuck. I guess with strangers and without beer it wouldn't be so fun.
>>
>>46852201
In my experience this isn't very common. I've seen it happen only when all players get lucky with cards leading to a situation where everyone is almost level 10 and has good stuff. Then it obviously can drag on for hours and hours. It's worth for new players to know that it can happen though.
>>
>>46851498
I find this game so much fun but every time i play it with someone that is in to board games they ruin it. The thing to remember is munchkin is a game of cheating you should be taking extra cards when no one is looking and lying about rules or abilities. If you stop the game to check the rules because your not sure how something works then you dont understand the game
>>
>>46852321
To be honest Munchkin can also be easily ruined if cheating is taken too far. There should be fine balance between cheating and playing by rules for it to be fun and interesting.
>>
>>46851727
As an alternative party game to Munchkin, Fluxx is good. Both are silly card games with silly themes and lots of expansions, but mechanics in Fluxx are far more interesting than in Munchkin and it works better.
>>
>>46852155
http://www.amazon.com/USAopoly-MUS085-Munchkin-Adventure-Time/dp/B00L2DKS74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461408320&sr=8-1&keywords=adventure+time+munchkin
>>
>>46851498
Eh, I don't like how it drags on towards the end. I wish there was some way to make the backstabbing a more throughout thing rather then holding on to your dick cards til the someone get to level 9.
>>
>>46852805
>I wish there was some way to make the backstabbing a more throughout thing rather then holding on to your dick cards

That's what I've been wondering too. Haven't figured out a house rule for it though, but it might be possible without ruining game.
>>
>>46852861
I'd have made a lot of card not work on Characters/monsters level X and up so they loose there worth as anything but gold fodder. but I certainly don't like the game enough to go through the effort of balancing that shit.
>>
>>46852861
reduce the handlimit, players won't be able to save up their bullycards. The downside is that you won't be able to devise devious plans with certain combinations.
>>
>>46851563
across for attention, along for effect
>>
My experience with the game is limited. Overall it can be some pretty dumb random fun, but as others in the thread said it drags easily due to the wincon being actually pretty far-off depending on the randomness, and if you have enough players that will play it for serious be prepared to longingly think about Monopoly while sitting at the table in never-ending card drops and dickery.
>>
>>46853638
Even in normal play it's very long for a card game. Average session is about 2 hours and even something like 4 hours isn't unusual. I'm fine with that and have had fun even on long sessions, but worst case of game dragging on I have had with Munchkin was about 6 hours and that wasn't very fun anymore. It's definitely not a game to play if you don't have time for it and I can see many people being put off by long playtime it has.
>>
>>46851498
Um, no? I'm not sure where you get the idea that it is cooperative. Sometimes some players may "work together", but it's always just to beating down another player to prevent them from winning. It's fairly random and winning seems mostly just the other players not having enough cards to stop you.

Which is perfectly fine, if that's what you want. But it's mostly a silly card game which makes fun of D&D, and didn't feel too much like going through a dungeon crawl. And hey, if you're playing it and like it, nothing wrong with buying a copy for yourself.
>>
>>46853733
Well most sessions I had were a lot shorter than that, like 30-60 minutes length, but I certainly see how it can easily last 2-4 hours without someone winning the game, yes.
>>
Munchkin is average. It's one of those games which is meant to be played every now and again for a laugh or before playing a bigger game.

However, it has this awful tendency to become everyones 'favourite' game and it becomes the centre of their universe.

Mechanically, it's just a bit dull. It's one of those games that punishes you for leading and it just drags out at the end where your just waiting for someone to luck out and "win"
>>
Alright, listen to amazing story of my first experience with that game.

>Be on some convention or shit
>Friend says to play Munchkin in gamesroom
>"Whatever, can be fun"
>Be on second or third place in lvls
>Early in game find "bower" monster, lvl 7 or some shit
>"Its terrible, you need to face it alone." type of monster
>Shit, it becomes my mortal enemy as a joke
>Play the game
>Joke about fighting it for whole game
>Got to lvl when I can fight it
>Im fighting with it. Suddenly every other player keeps makeing it stronger by adding cards to increase it lvl and shit
>It ends up being a monters lvl 40 or something like that, everyone laugh at me
>smugme.jpg
>I place a card that instantly change monster into parrot but I can keep treasures and exp
>By selling shit and exp I win the game.
>I laugh at them, stand up and point at my dick
>"You may now proceed to suck it"

Noone wants to play this game with me now. But it was fucking fun.
>>
>>46854604
That sounds like average Munchkin game and I don't get why your fiends don't want to play with you anymore. Sounds like sore losers to me, but Munchkin is kind of game that brings It's funny how many grown men can get really pissed off by a silly card game. I have played few times with strangers and it always ended with some guy being pissed. Luckily group I play with doesn't give shit about winning or losing, but still plays "seriously" enough for it to be intense.
>>
>>46854604
You cheated. You CAN'T buy the last level to win the game, it has to be earned by defeating a monster or being a Priest and playing Divine Intervention.
>>
>>46855781
I don't think he meant buying last level because that definitely wouldn't be allowed by such serious players. Probably he just meant that he used that tactic in general.
>>
>>46854604
I remember this one game that was going on for about 6 hours, I was constantly on top with a lvl 9 wizard. Everytime I tried to win lvl 10, people would be buffing the monster, I would run away with my wizard power. So I wouldn't win, but I would remain lvl 9 with very good equipment. So they made me switch it to Priest with some 'switch classes' card, at which I mentioned it would be too awesome if I would now win by someone drawing Divine intervention. Which happen within 2 minutes. It was great.
>>
>>46855781
They didn't call it, so it's allowed.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.