[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dwarves suck! >why do they use axes, it don't make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: dwarf_to_elf.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_to_elf.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>dwarves suck!
>why do they use axes, it don't make sense lmao

Sounds like someone hasn't played a fookin' dwarf! That, or there's an unnatural amount of tree lovin' 'ere!

As fer why we use axes, IT'S TO CUT DOWN YER' GODDAMNED PANSY TREES YA' TREE HUGGER! Just cause it pisses yee off~
>>
Digga pls
>>
I love Urist
>>
Okay
>>
Why don't you use hammers instead, though?
>>
>>46849848
OP, you are so unfunny, it's shameful.
Take my advice, and just lurk.
>>
>>46850706
You want shields and spears for tunnel fighting. Axes and hammers are no good.
>>
>>46850787
I feel like if they're actually fighting in the tunnels things have already gotten pretty fucked
>>
>>46850890
Where else would they be fighting? It has to be underground, where you've rarely got wide open spaces. It's either cramped caves or the paths they carved out. After all that's where they live and spend most of their lives. Now, if they were out and about conquering the surface dwellers then sure.

Yet, you don't hear about Dwarves conquering much at all in most settings. For a race that is often built up to be boisterous and hardy warriors it's kind of odd. They just hole up in their mountain fortresses and guard what belongs to them. I guess with all the clans they've got they may be fighting each other more often than other races. Urist was a dummy and dug a path to the Ashbeard fort's geo thermal bath house? WAR!

Which seems plausible. It's usually the people who are most like you but marginally different in some intolerable way that truly drives one up the wall. After all they ought to know the right way of doing things, an elf or human doesn't know because they're elves and humans, but a dwarf? A dwarf doing XYZ?! Blasphemy!
>>
>>46849848
This OP has more cringe in it than half the cringe threads over on /b/
>>
Beardaboos everyone
>>
Everyone loves the idea of half elves, but what about half-dwarves? Dwarves are stout and strong, proud and honorable. To fight like a dwarf is a great honor, for a dwarf fights with the strength of ten heroes. Their tenacity and courage is something to look up to, unlike the elves cowardice and backstabbing.

Our dwarven bretheren are fine examples on what we should be looking up to. To have dwarven blood in running through your veins, is a great honor. Your very body is the meeting ground of two proud and powerful cultures and you have been made into a superior man from a purified bloodline.

Hail to the dwarves!
>>
>>46850787
I always figured axes and hammers for weapons with cultural and religious significance that represent holy dwarven industry.

A noble or priest might carry a finely crafted hammer or axe in the same way that a human officer might carry a sword, but it probably won't be his first choice to use in actual combat.
>>
How far underground do dwarves really live? Shouldn't they be pale or off-colour with penalties in sunlight like drow?
>>
>>46849848
Is this a dwarf version of virtualoptim?
>>
>>46851562
Half elves usually suck, muls (half dwarves) are VERY powerful.
>>
>>46852100
You are now manually discovering deep dwarves are a thing. Cave adaptation/light blindness is a thing.
>>
File: 1361089981497.jpg (21 KB, 270x331) Image search: [Google]
1361089981497.jpg
21 KB, 270x331
>>46851562
what about... half elf half dwarf?
>>
>>46852146
You're goong in my book of grudges just for saying that.
>>
>>46852146
That's called a human. Unfortunately, the offspring is often born prematurely due to the parents being just barely compatible and they don't live very long.
>>
>>46849848
>~

Is this being spoken by a moé dwarf?
>>
epic
>>
File: dat face dwarf.png (151 KB, 1041x1066) Image search: [Google]
dat face dwarf.png
151 KB, 1041x1066
>>46849848
elf genocide when
>>
>>46852146

YE JUST MADE AN ENEMY FER LIFE
>>
>>46852138
Only in Dark Sun. On Krynn, you get Gully Dwarves.
>>
>>46850787
A spear would be terrible for fighting in actual tunnels, unless they were made at great length to be wide and high enough for the spear to be turned about properly. Imagine going around a tight corner with a six foot long spear, spears don't bend as humans do, it might simply be impossible--and if you were determined to make it impossible for someone to bring anything with them beyond a certain length, you could do so quite easily.

Imagine a phalanx advancing through a tunnel system, only to find a chokepoint specifically designed to prevent any rigid object longer than five feet from passing through it. Either this chokepoint must be mined away, or the spears must be abandoned, and beyond, the enemy waits with short maces and knives. I've always assumed that dwarves would end up using short weapons like these because of the tight confines of their battlefields.
>>
File: touch fluffy beard.png (261 KB, 876x567) Image search: [Google]
touch fluffy beard.png
261 KB, 876x567
>>46852187
Since this thread is shit, it's now about the moe dwarves.
Post'em.
>>
>>46853752
Shield and Gladius would probably be the preferred gear for tunnel fighting. Spears would be reserved for garrisons defending dwarven fortifications which had been specifically cut for maximum defensive dickery.
>>
>>46849848
Why did you repost this from the thread a few days ago?
>>
>>46853831
Shield and gladius for tunnel fighting, with ranged weaponry being exclusively crossbows, dart guns and ballista. Gunpowder makes absolutely no sense underground and is even worse than using axes in a tight shield wall. Spears are best for defense, and a dwarf phalanx would be near impossible to dislodge. A Macedonian phalanx would be absolutely perfect for clearing out the wider, more developed sections of the underway. Dwarfs are an engineer race, they should always bring the right tools to the job at hand
>>
>>46853928
I'd say >>46852016 is probably the case for axes and hammers. They're symbols of divine authority linked with the dwarven gods and the dwarven ideals of industry. They aren't wielded by the rank and file who are going to engage in bloody tunnel skirmishes, they're for noble officers, priests and warriors of holy orders who are only likely to be in the thick of things for more glorious endeavors where there's enough room to swing them, or at least use them as a banner to rally your forces.
>>
>>46853992
Which probably lead to the idea by non-dwarves that all dwarves use axes and hammers, because dwarven carvings of their gods, kings and heroes are shown wielding them almost exclusively.
>>
>People assume dwarves are fighting in tiny little badger holes and not just carved stoneways

Look at shit like Mines of Moria and The Lonely mountain in the movies, look at how they're built in Warhammer.

Dwarves are not fighting battles in tiny little hidey holes, they're fighting them in vast undergound caverns and wide open halls.

Axes and Hammers work perfectly because they're ancient enemy is Goblins, who hide behind massed rows of shields an Axe can quite easily cleave through, goblin and all, or a Hammer can grind into a pulp.
>>
>>46854011
>when this happened in real life because gimli had an axe

I like this as a great in universe explanation as to why dwarfs get stereotyped as carrying around axes, definitely using this general idea for my settings
>>
>>46851562
Humans were made of dry, crumbling root, and kindle too easily. They burn bright, but like all flames they are doomed to die.

Dwarves were made of young, moist roots. They dig deep and far, but the further they burrow, the more root they become. Eventually they shall return to root entirely.

But Elves were made from old, strong roots, and fashioned with experience gained from the failures of Humans and Dwarves. They are greater than both, stronger, wiser, fairer and undying. Their fate is to serve the Gods, ruling all the world in their name.

Hail the Elves, our rightful lords! Hail the Elves, for the Gods will it!
>>
>>46853848
Zero shame, zero self-awareness, and obviously Zero sense of humor.
>>
I remember reading in Salvatore novel that the dwarves preferred war axes because they would be able to smash giants knee caps with the hammer end and cut the tendons in their legs with the sharp end.
>>
>>46849848
I like how the elf is basically just waiting for the retarded little manchild to finish so they can continue the journey.
>>
>>46853848
It's bait
>>
>>46849848
sauce?
>>
>>46861047
Kill yourself.
>>
>>46861099
You can't spell kill yourself without elf.
>>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about muh Silmarils, you filthy Moriquendë? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class of all the House of Finwë, been involved in numerous secret raids on the fortress of Angband, and have over 300 confirmed kinslays on those boatfucking Teleri cowards. I am trained in gorilla warfare and am the top bowman of all the Calaquendi. You are nothing to me but just another spawn of Morgoth. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen since the War of Teleri Aggression, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Palantir? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across Middle-earth and your address is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, goblin. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can slay you in over seven hundred different ways, and that's just with my beautiful hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to all the hosts of the Noldor and I will use them to their full extent to wipe your miserable hröa off the face of the continent, you stunted piece of dwarf-shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down on you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit the fury of the Eldar all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>46854126
And than the fire came and burned the tree and it's roots, but sadly the fire died out after it's destruction was done.
>>
>>46853376
How are Krynn?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.