[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if magic healing tomes or potions were available to a modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1460935083316.jpg (28 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
1460935083316.jpg
28 KB, 354x354
So if magic healing tomes or potions were available to a modern society, would that effectively put surgeons and doctors out of a job?
>>
>>46840800
In 'murrica, yeah.
In the rest of the world, seeing a doctor would be considerably cheaper than paying 100 pieces of gold for the potion.
>>
>>46840800
You'd have to define what HP is first, as that's what most potions deal with.
>>
>>46840837
How expensive would potions be though? Especially if they can be mass produced. It might be way more convenient and faster to go to a store and pay than to wait around for a doctor as well and then wait to heal naturally more or less.
>>
>>46840837
>implying the potion makers wouldn't up their prices because they could
I shiggy dig it.
>>
>>46840800
The other issue being how they would handle terminal disease. If a potion simply triggers you to heal more quickly, but a disease is incurable without treatment from a doctor, would the potions work?
>>
>>46840800
Surgeons could still see some use, but that'd be for specific procedures that knitting together flesh wouldn't heal. Getting your tonsels or appendix removed, for example.

Doctors would probably still be around in some capacity to prescribe a dosage of certain kinds of healing potions, depending on what you need.
>>
>>46840800
What kind of potions are we talking about here? Are they the kind to treat physical injuries such as cuts and burns? Or can they also cure diseases? Is there different levels of strength for each potion? Like one potion for minor scraps and bruises and another for cancer and AIDS and shit? Give us some context OP
>>
>>46840800
It depends on how effective and costly the potions are.

>>46840837
Top kek, governments have to pay for healthcare too. The question is why should doctors care about amassing wealth since create food and prestidigitation means everyone can survive on God-tier food?
>>
>>46840965
Potion of cure disease
>>
Depends how exactly the healing potions work.

Do they push foreign objects out of your body, or do they simply close wounds? You might still need a surgeon to dig glass and bullets and shit out of your body.

Do their effects discriminate between normal cells and mutated/cancerous cells? Drinking a potion while you have cancer might make it grow faster.

What about allergies and autoimmune diseases? If the potion works by sending your immune system into overdrive, it could exacerbate these conditions.
>>
>>46840976
The potions can be from any RPG of your choice, but no crossover. So if there are potions from game A then they're all from game A and only game A.
>>
>>46840837
This might be true if potions only showed up in the last 20 years.
>>
People still need to make the potions and perform operations, so no.
Not to mention that most systems (most notable being D&D) use HP as an abstraction of exhaustion and light wounds, so calling them stamina potions might be more apt. Either way, doctors are still necessary.
>>
aren't potions basically pharmaceuticals? Doctors would now be experts in administering potions to the masses.
>>
>>46840800
>So if magic healing tomes or potions were available to a modern society, would that effectively put surgeons and doctors out of a job?
Nope, they would be banned in the same way a bulletproof armor is banned on some countries
>>
>>46841173
That's mainly because real drugs have side effects, are addictive, and can be poisonous if the dose is wrong. I'll admit this is probably true of potions in most RPGs and we're only given a hassle free abstraction. Still, with how effective and (seemingly) hassle free they are why wouldn't they be over the counter drugs like cold meds?
>>
>>46840800
No, they would still have jobs because of two reasons. First there would be people who don't trust magic potions and still use surgeons and doctors. Secondly Magic Tumors.
>>
>>46840800
As long as you have potions of regenerate, yes.
I mean, if we actually funded these efforts I'm sure any ingredients needed could be farmed easily enough.
>>
No, because there will always be a nut who says that this "isn't natural" and will refuse to take the efficient path
>>
>>46841690
But those nuts reject doctors, real drugs, and surgeons too
>>
>>46841253
>I'll admit this is probably true of potions in most RPGs
Pic related
>>
The potions are made of corpse starch. Would you still drink?
>>
Does that mean magic in general exists?
>>
>>46840990
>The question is why should doctors care about amassing wealth since create food and prestidigitation means everyone can survive on God-tier food?

>implying that food is the only motivator to acquire wealth.
>>
>>46843793

It's an absolute fuckton of the reason. I know I would take like half as many hours at work if I had free, infinite, god-tier tasting healthy food.
>>
>>46844173
Plus that would crash the price of land as land isn't needed for food. And any spells like wall of stone make quarries virtually obsolete. And spells like fabricate and stone shape may well crash the labor market. And with land and food effectively free the only major expenses are clothing and heat or cooling assuming free air
>>
Who makes the potions? I mean, we're talking about magic here, they probably aren't mass-producable the same way modern drugs are.
>>
>>46852020
For simplicities sake let's say whoever makes potions in the D&D settings or a setting of your choice.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.