[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shouldn't the good fantasy races be created by evil deities,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: EricLofgrenorc_vs_elfonline.jpg (47 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
EricLofgrenorc_vs_elfonline.jpg
47 KB, 500x336
Shouldn't the good fantasy races be created by evil deities, and vice-versa?

>A good god wants his creations to be happy
>He gives them a strong sense of self-interest. They put themselves first because their creator puts them first.

>An evil god wants devoted slaves
>He makes them selfless martyrs who only exist to serve others and will even sacrifice themselves without complaint. They put others first because their creator puts himself first.

It just makes more sense.
>>
>>46839803
I dunno, shouldn't the good fantasy races be created by good deities, and vice-versa?

>A good god wants his creations to be happy
>He gives them a drive to assist others and find happiness in seeing those around them as happy

>An evil god wants devoted slaves
>He makes them value power above all else so that they are more likely to brutally control others but adhere to his (near) almighty power

When you don't establish setting rules or even god rules, it all comes down to silly contrivances.
>>
>>46839803
Maybe you could justify anything with the 'right' perspective.
>I'm always right from my own perspective, so I deserve to command everything as king!
>>
>>46839803
Just read Atlas Shrugged, eh?
>>
>>46840766
Having a bunch of people producing something is pointless if there are no consumers or end-users. Anything given to a selfless person is wasted because they're just going to pass it along to someone else. It leads to those situations where a group is trying to make a decision but each is afraid of upsetting the others so they end up doing something that none of them want. You need to have someone with enough self-interest to break that deadlock.

>>46840918
Ironically, Rand and Marx are stupid in a lot of the same ways, because they're both obsessed with the idea of production to the point that they disregard the consumer.
>>
>>46841480
Consumption isn't evil. Lack of moderation is.
>>
>>46839803
>good fantasy races
>evil fantasy races
When will this meme die?
Cultural upbringing has less to do with a race and more to do with geopolitics and societal structure.
>>
>>46841480
Well, a selfless person would realize that passing along something in an endless chain would come at the cost of the gifter (something given and never used is wasted at the cost of who gave it) and consume what they needed, passing on the gift only if someone else needed it MORE than they did.
>>
>having a strong sense of self interest is evil

You know, you can be a good person and still put yourself first as long as you respect the rights of others.

Of course you are just trying to start an idiotic political argument using a deliberately nonsensical premise.
>>
>>46841506
>>46841603

But people whose resources are moderate or less are still seen as good if they sacrifice what little they have. Being immoderately generous, ascetic, or self-sacrificial counts as very good. However much you have, it would be more good to have less.
>>
>>46841586
>When will this meme die?

Memes are ideas, and you cannot kill an idea.
>>
>>46841817
The fuck I can't.
>>
>>46841586
That ignores the fact that your inherent biology can massive predispose you to behaviours considered good and evil.

Like orcs being unintelligent and inherently more aggressive than humans leads to barbarians who like to raid/murder others.

They aren't going to settle down and build an empire like the Franks did after they conquer a civilisation or its remnants if they are not inherently capable of that level of thought and social organisation.

>>46841744
The idea that having less is more good is far from a universal ideal.

Excessive generosity is also seen as a negative thing, especially if it hurts people you are responsible for or who are dependent on you.
>>
File: gun b gud.gif (804 KB, 350x191) Image search: [Google]
gun b gud.gif
804 KB, 350x191
Oh boy, /tg/ is gonna discuss politics and economics again, the two most polarizing pseudo-sciences know to man. This is not gonna be good. This is not gonna be pretty. And I have a big bag of budget nachos.
Let the games begin.
>>
>>46841817
>implying
Internet is literally the graveyard of the memes, memes that had experienced their proverbial 15 minutes of fame and perished just as abruptly.
Do you remember demotivators? Me neither.
Memes are viral, and every infection dies out very fast if there's no one new left to infect, and everyone else is already immune to it.
>>
>>46841910
> they are not inherently capable of that level of thought and social organisation
What is genetic admixture?
What is running out of shit to conquer, due to various geographical reasons (literally "romans, barbarians, mountains")?
>>
>>46839803
Every time I see one of these threads, I wonder how so few people have ever heard of the Tragedy of the Commons.
>>
>>46839803
I lik it
>>
>>46841506

What's truly evil is creating an environment where those who overindulge don't experience the consequences of their choices and actions.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.