[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever base your plot/characters/settings on your dreams?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: aXm7859xjU.jpg (62 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm7859xjU.jpg
62 KB, 650x650
Do you ever base your plot/characters/settings on your dreams?
>>
File: 546820.jpg (164 KB, 339x502) Image search: [Google]
546820.jpg
164 KB, 339x502
No, what little I remember of them tends to be utterly nonsensical and as focused as the ramblings of someone in a padded cell, and soon entirely forgotten.

I did have a brush with Inception a while back though, when I dreamed that I was having a nightmare.
>>
>>46837660
Yeah, I had my average workday with my average wage. Even after subtracting expense for food, accommodation and other life expenses, I'm in the green numbers.
But this raises a question - when I wake up tomorrow do I wake up to be more broke that day? Because while there will be things to do, they won't be things to get paid for.
>>
>>46837660
No. The last dream I remember having was about the National Trust starting a facet regime and my friends committing suicide to escape the reeducation camps because they crossed the velvet rope.

Maybe I should give turning my dreams into plots a go.
>>
>>46837660
Dreamt once with a twelve headed pyro werewolf lernean Hydra attacking an Aztec city with a complex underground maze filled with ghosts similar to those in ff spirit whitin. Shit was cool but my players at the moment only cared about killing monsters and looting rooms.
>>
>>46837660
And yet, my current life is a series of milestones marked by the next due bill
>>
I have like, 2 dreams a month and even then I forget what I was dreaming, so no.
>>
God, I hope not.
>>
Not yet, but I will use it in the future.
Specially since I created a setting on a dream (yes a setting, I was not even present on the dream)
>>
I had a dream about a giant, ever shifting building with doors leading to different worlds. After clearing some puzzles another set of doors would open. I wanted to put it in a game, but, unfortunately, it ended before I had a chance to.
>>
Last dream I remember was that I went for a walk in the forest and found out that Freddie Mercury plots to take over the world by replacing all railroads with rollercoasters. I don't think that would make a good game.
>>
>>46837660
No. Because I like the people I play with and would like them not to look at me like someone that needs keeping away from sharp objects.
>>
do you mean my lost ambitions or my stress-induced night terrors?
>>
>>46837660
No.

And I'll tell you why.

The last dream I remember was weird as fuck. First, I remember I was on the moon, in a lunar colony thing. It was semi-defunct. I was talking to the President of the United State. But he was in a robot, think Fallout Protectotron style with a screen for a face. I put a data storage device, looked like a cassette for some reason, into the robot. It snapped into being a full human mind instantly. The President and I chatted for a while, then I let him know what happened.

Apparently, and I don't remember saying or hearing this, but the entire world underwent a nuclear holocaust. And the President I'm talking to was semi-responsible. For his part in destroying most of the world and humanity his mind was dulled and shoved into a robot. After he "woke up" and I explained what happened the robot grabbed me by the arms and started shaking me violently. Screaming the whole time. "I AM A GHOST MADE BY THE HANDS OF GHOSTS!"

After that I remember chilling out in Paris with a serious cutie. And for some reason Einstein was there explaining something about super science to both of us. There was tea, food, shade, and music. Pretty nice right? Well, next thing I know we were being shot at by G-Men, and that devolved into a firefight that took to the streets of Paris. Last scene there was myself, the cutie, and Einstein on the wheel peeling out towards the Eiffel tower for some reason.

Between there were a lot of images. A laser rifle, a broken mountain, a giant field full of glass, and the look through a scope.

Weird fucking dream.
>>
>>46837660
I had a dream once about a concrete house in the woods. It was built like an upside down L with the I and _ sections both being equal scale hollow cubes. The upstairs cube was unreachable, but appeared to have a perfectly square window. The downstairs cube had a perfectly square window and an empty door. Inside the downstairs cube was a chair in the dead center. Nothing else was inside the cube. The "house" was in the middle of a heavily wooded area. Damp, green, wild woodland but not unpleasant. I walked in, sat down, and stared out of the doorway for a while, feeling like I was waiting for something, but at the same time totally at peace. Woke up feeling weirded out.

One of only very few dreams I can remember.
>>
>>46837660
Once I had a dream so interesting, I immediately wanted to write a story based on it. For some reason or another I didn't, and now I can't remember a thing about it other than that it was wicked awesome, and I'm going to regret my tardiness for the rest of my life.
>>
>>46837660
No, because the only dreams I can manage to remember are my magical realm and my nightmares.

Six out of every seven are nightmares.

Sometimes the same dream is both.

Save me.
>>
>>46837660
No but I intend to. I keep a notebook of weird ideas for writing/gaming projects and at least one dream has made it in there.
>>
>>46840305
Try keeping a few notes on it. Helps keep the memory intact even.
>>
>>46840652
This, the very action of writing stuff down makes you remember it.

>>46839785
I love dreams like that. It's a shame they rarely have enough coherence to shape them into something usable.

>>46837660
Speaking of which, once I had a dream about a post-apoc world. The world got almost destroyed by a soul-tainting disease, remnants of humanity hid in bunkers, kept safe by some kind of priests, but sometimes they would need to head out outside to gather resources.
I was on a mission like that when a sudden and unforseen blowout happened; sky became purple in a moment. I headed back as fast as I could, but my soul got tainted and they needed to remove part of it. I think I've never been so afraid I'm a dream before. There's been quite a lot of details, but I don't have my notes with me right now.
Either way, I think this could be made into a functional and interesting setting with just some work.
>>
>>46837660
In hindsight, some of my nightmares would be pretty terrifying if I could properly portray them. Some are >>46839785 levels of weird, some are just bone-chillingly terrifying, and some are both. They can't ever be properly explained, though. They tend to be meandering or oddly specific.

In the last one, everyone was under some kind of mind control drugs to keep us docile and gullible. There was a huge pool area connected to an equally huge mall where everything was free, but you could never leave. Most didn't think to, either. They just partied all drugged up while the unknown overlords did horrifying things to them. All food in the pool area was laced with drugs, although some stuff in the mall was safe. I was part of those who tried to resist the control, but in the end I was forced to eat some drugged mango pudding to fool the guards I wasn't onto it all. Then I remember thinking that the pudding tasted like bath cleaner. Then that perhaps I was overreacting and it wasn't so bad after all. Then the horror that I just thought that. Then nothing.

Eh, like I said, nothing makes that much sense even if that kind of weird setting can be done. There's a bit of Dark City in there, too.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.