[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it wrong for adventurers to kill innocent animals?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: wolf-cubs.jpg (29 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
wolf-cubs.jpg
29 KB, 500x320
Is it wrong for adventurers to kill innocent animals?
>>
>>46834649
Is it wrong for animals to kill innocent animals?
>>
>>46834673

Animals kill animals for food.

Adventurers kill animals for XP. They have rations in their packs.
>>
>>46834649
Is it adventure for wrong animals to kill innocents?
>>
>>46834649
Is it animals for innocents to kill wrong adventurers?
>>
>>46834706
Who the fuck gives xp for killing innocent animals?
>>
>>46834746
DMs.
>>
>>46834706
What do you think is happening when PCs roll Survival to find food? It's not all forage you know.
>>
>>46834746
OP is probably a retard who thinks rust monsters and dire fucking tarantulas and shit are "innocent" and not completely deserving of murder
>>
>>46834777
They're innocent, but who gives a fuck about innocence? Trying to save lives here.
>>
>>46834649
Can an animal be innocent or guilty?
>>
>>46834649
No, because animals don't have souls.

>>46834768
No, they don't.
>>
>>46834796

Sometimes dogs poop on the carpet even though they know they shouldn't.
>>
>>46834811
>DMs do
>DMs don't

both wrong.
>>
>>46834811
>No, they don't
Sure they do. Lots of animals with stats in D&D.
>>
>>46834746
Animals are worth XP in d20.

In 5E they're worth 10 XP each if they have an attack. If a crab can claw me for 1 point of damage, damn right do I want a reward for killing and eating it.

>tfw seasoned fishermen must all be level 3 or higher by now
>>
>>46834837
>>46834846

Competent DMs should generally try to curb metagaming behavior such as animal pogroms.
>>
>>46834859

But then they'll just move on to humans.

30 children in that orphanage? That's an easy 300 XP.
>>
>>46834877
Sounds like STEM or Accounting majors playing D&D.
>>
Is it a cute animal?
Then yes.
>>
>>46834649
Outside of occasionally hunting for food, I'm content to live and let live so long as they don't try to bite my face off first.
>>
Funny enough my Half-orc Barbarian killed a a rather large brown bear last session. He got chastised by the party rogue who felt I attacked in unjustly.

He was rather right since I made to roll a Nat 20 on stealth and pulled a giant bush over my body and walked around it. However, it worked out because we got the quest macguffin and needed to return t back safely. The bear would have impeded on that.
>>
>>46834883
> Sounds like autists playing D&D.

FTFY.
>>
>>46834777
This.
Sure a giant tarantula can be innocent, but isn't a dire monster just an evil, giant version?
>>
>>46834746
That's kind of why I only give out xp in systems where it's more than just an indicator of whether you've leveled up (Shadowrun, the 40k system, etc), otherwise the players gain a level once they've hit a milestone in the story.
>>
>>46835004
>Rogue
>concerned about being just
>>
>>46834883
Speaking as a STEM major, I always prefer to make fun characters instead of powergaming as hard as possible. Far better to struggle for victory than to be an autistic munchkin.
>>
>>46834706
Rations are for when fresh food isn't available. Meat is very fresh.
>>
>>46834846
Deadliest Catch campaign when?
>>
If it tries to eat me, then it'd be wrong not to kill it. It's basic natural selection - animals that try to eat heavily-armed adventurers are unfit, and if allowed to breed will doom their species to extinction. I'm doing them a favor, really.
>>
>>46835088
Yeah, I was shiftyeyed because he loves whores and drinking but had a soft spot for stuff that wasn't causing us trouble like the animals
>>
>>46834706
>XP

I want reddit to leave.
>>
>>46834649
>Is it wrong for adventurers to kill innocent animals?

If they kill themselves in self-defense, it's morally neutral.
If they kill to eat, then it's morally neutral.
If they kill to clothe themselves, it's morally neutral.

Killing just for fun or for the sake of killing is morally dubious.
>>
>>46834673

Yes. http://reducing-suffering.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/wild-animals_2015-02-28.pdf
>>
File: aDfYtTA.jpg (23 KB, 526x308) Image search: [Google]
aDfYtTA.jpg
23 KB, 526x308
>>46834706
Pic.

>>46834877
You don't get experience for killing things, you get experience for overcoming challenges. Slaughtering defenseless things is not a challenge.

Diplomancing 5 kobolds away from your party yields the same experience as killing them as the encounter was resolved.
>>
If players are picking fights with random animals to JUST to level up and not for any other reason, they should receive a penalty to the xp gained.
>>46834846
-10 XP per animal killed in this case.
Never reward munchkins.
>>
Animals are not conventionally innocent or guilty as we understand, but yes, attacking animals without provocation or just cause (food, pelts, self-defense) is unethical. However, the 'adventurers' should be rewarded accordingly if it was a difficult fight; animals are nonetheless dangerous, potentially more so in a fantasy setting than in our world.

Don't forget that actions have consequences. Realistically (I know, bear with me), the wholesale slaughter of forest animals and/or livestock would gain negative attention. The party should expect retribution from any rangers, hunters, druids, priests of nature oriented deities,, and aristocrats who may feel entitled to the game of whatever land the PC's are occupying. Let the party know through storytelling and adventure that 'for the XP' is not a good enough justification for actions, particularly when those actions would make no logical sense to characters without metaknowledge.
>>
>>46834846
>I want a reward for killing and eating it.
Anon, your reward for killing and eating it is killing and eating it
>>
>>46834649
Considering that most DM's play animals like hyper-intelligent murder machines that somehow know to go straight for the spellcasters then it's definitely not wrong, in fact you are doing the world a favor by ridding the world of the hyper-aggressive super-intelligent wildlife.
>>
>>46834846

>gather up a bunch of Lyme disease infected animals
>infect them with hundreds of tics each, using heals to keep them alive well beyond the amount of blood loss they could naturally survive to get even more tics
>the thousands of infected tics now have a potentially fatal bite attack
>fireball the warehouse where you're keeping this horrorshow into a pile of ash
>become god
>>
Only if they do it for no good reason and/or inflict undue suffering in the process. I really don't see how this is even a question.
>>
>>46836411

Ticks do bite, so that's definitely enough to get you to level 20 if you can keep this up.
>>
>>46835597
So he gets experience for escaping from the town with half the population and the whole guard chasing him?
>>
>>46836411
Sounds like some kind of weird cult ritual to gain power. It'd actually be kind of funny if the demon or outsider that the cult were worshipping was just trying to break the fourth wall and explain to the inhabitants of this realm how to game the system, but they mistook it as some kind of religious ceremony and just kibd of assumed that they worshipped some fucked up god of pain and suffering.
>>
>>46836689
>listen you fucking idiots,bfor the last time, I'm not a death god, I'm just an unknowable being from another dimension. Stop fucking sending me virgin souls
>Cool. So herems that human infant covered in botflies and ticks you asked for
>Holy shit, you people are fucked, all I wanted was to show you how to gain "levels"!
>>
>>46835227
>the final battle is catching the Kraken itself
>>
File: AustinBeerworks.jpg (662 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AustinBeerworks.jpg
662 KB, 1920x1080
>>46834673

Is it wrong for OP to keep shitposting contrived moral dilemmas? Asking for a baby orc.
>>
>>46834706
>Animals kill animals for food.
Actually a lot of animals kill for sport.

Deers included.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.