[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping Gods Quest #30
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 6
File: SGOP.jpg (309 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
SGOP.jpg
309 KB, 1280x800
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping%20Gods%20Quest
Character journal: http://pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
https://twitter.com/MolochQM
https://ask.fm/MolochQM

If nothing else, you've learned one thing today – you despise leeches.

You're not talking about the kind of parasitic nobility that you will soon be rubbing shoulders with at Kurasu's undeserved party, but actual leeches. Fat, black slugs that cling and suck at anyone who so much as sets foot in their territory. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem – you could just stay out of their territory, after all. Unfortunately, that isn't always an option. Like, say, if you need to fish a bloated, stinking body from the stagnant waters of an underground lake.

You're not bitter. Not even a little bit.

Still, it might be dirty work, but it's work that needs to be done. If allowed to fester on sacred ground, human remains can cause a god to become cruel and spiteful – especially if the body belonged to a murder victim. You don't know for sure if that was the case or not, and only Tawn could say for certain.

It's about time, you figure, that you had a few words with him.
>>
File: Tawn (Better Times).jpg (194 KB, 1066x1599) Image search: [Google]
Tawn (Better Times).jpg
194 KB, 1066x1599
>>46833092

As you flick away the last of the leeches – still fat and smug with the blood it took from you – you turn your attention to the body. An unknowable length of time spent floating face down in the dark waters here has done it no favours, leaving it almost as dark and bloated as the leeches themselves, but you force yourself to consider it closely. You came down here on a rope, and that same cord might just serve as a harness to lift the body up. As plans go, you're yet to think of a better one.

With the loose end of the rope tied tightly around the body's torso, looped under the armpits, you give it an experimental tug. Good enough, you mutter as you try not to imagine the body tearing, giving way beneath the cutting rope. You might help dragging it up, a little extra muscle, but that's something you'll deal with later. One or two of the trapped soldiers would suffice – it might be a change for them, doing some hard work for once.

Taking the rope in hand, you walk yourself up the rough cavern wall until you reach, once more, smooth and worked stone. Grunting out one last breathless curse, you haul your weary body up and into cell 21 once more. You're about to start dragging the cadaver up after you when you pause, listening to the air. You're not alone. Cautiously prowling out of the cell, you find Tawn leaning against the railings, looking out over the rest of the prison.

“Told you not to come up here,” he says quietly, forming his words very carefully, “Guess you saw, then.”

That's right, you reply, you saw. That was Rin's brother down there, wasn't it?

“The other anarchist,” Tawn nods, “You know what happened down there, don't you? You can guess, at least.”

>It doesn't matter. You did what you had to do
>You murdered him, is that it?
>I want you to tell me, in your own words
>Other
>>
>>46833097
>I want you to tell me, in your own words
a lot of things could have happened, really. That said, I dont think Tawn knows about the god?
>>
>>46833097
>>You murdered him, is that it?
What the hell is going on Tawn? I get you're angry, but this is overboard.
>>
>>46833097
>>I want you to tell me, in your own words
>>
He murdered him, you offer in a calm – casual, almost – voice, is that it? When it looks as though Tawn is about to answer, you shake your head and cut him off. No, you correct yourself, you want to hear it in his own words. What did he do, and what dark motives brought him to that point?

“In my own words,” Tawn repeats slowly, the fingers of his left hand tapping out a rhythm on the metal railing. “I wanted answers,” he begins, “Knew that I'd never get straight ones out of them, not if the two were together – or close, even. Had to split them up, make them believe – really believe – that they were on their own. That place, that cave, one of the soldiers found it early on and I knew it was perfect. So, I started with Oad.”

Oad, you repeat the name, Rin's brother?

“Right. He was the weaker, I figured,” Tawn turns to glance your way, searching your face for some clue, before continuing. “He was an idiot,” he explains, “All the time, he wouldn't say anything, just claiming that he didn't know a thing. If he gave me something – even some excuse – I could have worked with him. He didn't, he just stuck with that story, not knowing anything. So, I thought the water might loosen his tongue.”

A little gentle persuasion, you suggest with a kind of bleak humour, was that the plan?

“I didn't set out to kill him,” Tawn does his strange half-shrug, “It just happened. Maybe I lost my temper with him – you know what that bomb could have done, in a factory like that? Dozens dead, and that's a low guess.”

This is personal, you realise with a pang of dismay, Tawn's own crippling injuries coming back to sway his hand. It was a bomb that left him maimed and nearly took his life, so is it any wonder that he came down so hard on the anarchists? It's no excuse, but...

[1/2]
>>
>>46833328

“So,” Tawn looks at you once more, a curious lack of any real feeling in his eyes, “You know. That's what happened, in my own damn words. Now what, Ira?”

Now what, you ask, is that all he has to say?

“That fog lifted some time ago, I could have ran – as much as I CAN run – as soon as the door was open. Taken the ship, if I had to,” the visible half of Tawn's face finally twists into a faint frown, “I didn't. I stayed.”

He did, you agree, and you're pretty damn curious about that.

“Running wouldn't stop this,” Tawn shakes his head, “Might have put it off, some, but this was inevitable. The way I see it, this island could swallow a whole lot of secrets – if you think there's justice to be done here, I don't see how I could stop you. So that's why I said what I did, and why I'll say it again – what now?”

>I'll take this to Ra. It's his call to make, not mine
>You said it – this island could swallow a lot of secrets. I won't say anything about this
>I don't think you deserve to see the mainland again
>Other
>>
>>46833369
>I'll take this to Ra. It's his call to make, not mine.
Try mediation Tawn. You need a cool head if you are going to have a job like this. You cannot use prisoners as scapegoats and outlets for your aggression.
>>
>>46833369
>>I'll take this to Ra. It's his call to make, not mine
A little paranoia is fine, expected even, but you can't let it control you.
>>
>>46833369
>I think, Tawn, that you need to cool your head before you hold any more lives in your hands.
>I'll take this to Ra. It's his call to make, not mine
> I didn't have to be the one to fix this. You used to be a Wanderer. You could have, with a clear mind.
>>
This isn't your call to make, you tell Tawn, it's Ra's job to keep him in line. You're going to take this to the old man, but it's up to him to decide Tawn's fate.

“That's right,” Tawn says with a kind of aimless sadness, “Judging men isn't your job, is it?”

It's not, you agree, but you seem to end up doing it more often than not these days. In this case, though, you trust Ra's judgement – he'll be fair, you assure Tawn, as fair as any man can be. A moment passes in silence before you speak up again, asking the question that has formed at the front of your mind. Is that what he wanted, you ask, for you to judge him? Is that why he stayed here, waiting for you?

“Might be,” the crippled man nods, “We're close to equals, you and I. We're both hunting hounds, chasing down our targets. You understand how things work out here, in the field.”

Maybe you do understand, you retort, but that doesn't mean you'll let him walk away without any repercussions. He needs to keep a cool head for this job, especially if it means having lives put in his hands. That's why you need to tell Ra – so something like this doesn't happen again. He can't just blame prisoners for whatever crimes he likes or use them as a target for his aggression. That's not what his authority should be used for.

“I wasn't...” Tawn hesitates, looking away from you in shame, “I didn't set out to do this. Things just happened this way. They got... out of hand.”

This paranoia of his, you tell him, is getting to be a problem. He should try meditation – does he remember anything he learned at the Nameless Temple? Slow down and think things over, that's the key to resolving a problem without all this mess. He could have been the one to end this, you add, not you. All it needed was a clear head.

[1/2]
>>
File: Captain Murasa.jpg (44 KB, 700x760) Image search: [Google]
Captain Murasa.jpg
44 KB, 700x760
>>46833618

“Perhaps you're right,” Tawn tilts his head to the side, “I saw this as a human problem, one to be solved as an Imperial agent. It feels like so long since I saw the world through a Wanderer's eyes. Maybe I need to get back to my roots.”

It couldn't hurt, you shrug, and it might even do some good. You can't promise anything, but spending some time away from the field might settle his thoughts. At the end of the day, though, it's Ra's call – you can't give him any orders. Now then, you say half to yourself, it's time to get this body out of here.

It takes a while, and a fair effort to achieve, but you eventually manage to wrestle the reeking corpse up out of the caverns below. All too aware that you'll be walking among polite company within a few days, you throw the corpse over your shoulders and take it out to the fresh air. The sun has risen, warming the stone beneath your feet, but it offers you little comfort. Maybe a few years spent asleep might be enough for that.

The Hijiri waits at the dock, a few of the crew milling about aimlessly as Murasa, up on deck, calls out orders. She waves you on board, taking in the sight of the dead body with barely a raised eyebrow. Straight away, Tawn heads below deck – to sleep, he claims.

“We're heading out as soon as possible,” Murasa tells you, “While we've got good seas. Any objection to that, Ira?”

>Get us out of here. I need to get some rest
>Is this body going to be a problem?
>I needed to talk to you about something first... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46833708

Phew no angry glaring Howa
>>
>>46833708

Then
>>
>>46833708
>Any food we can spare for the prisoners? I mean, whoever's left?
>>
>>46833753
Aren't the prisoners still in the prison?
>>
You don't have any problems with that, you tell her, but isn't this body going to cause some difficulties? It's not exactly... fresh.

“I figure we'd bury it at sea,” Murasa shrugs slightly, “Say a few words and everything, just to keep it all nice and formal. It won't be the first time I've seen it happen. The kind of work I used to do, it got to be a regular thing.”

You spent all that time dragging the body up, you mutter with exasperation, just so she can dump it in the ocean?

“Not dumping it, burying it at sea,” the captain corrects you, “No different from cremating it, really. Relax, Ira, we're not about to make an enemy of the sea. I mean, any more than it's already out to get us.”

Hardly reassuring. What about the prisoners, you ask with a weary sigh, is there any spare food for them?

“We've got supplies,” Murasa nods, “The soldiers brought them out as soon as they got the chance. Tied and shackled, yeah, but they looked happy to be out of there either way. They're below deck now, nice and safe. Chances are, they'll just be coming back here in a few days, but...” she shrugs, “Not my problem, right?”

No, you agree, you suppose it isn't. Well, those were the only issues you needed to speak with her about, so she can get back to work. You need to rest, you add a moment later, is there still space below deck?

“Might be a spare bunk you can borrow,” Murasa grins, “I'd offer you the captain's cabin, but I got a feeling that you're already promised to someone. Got an eye for these things, you know?”

Well, you clear your throat awkwardly as you try to figure out what to say to that, you'd better go looking for that bunk.

[1/2]
>>
>>46833976
Pirate chicks dig eye patches.
>>
File: Ra.jpg (89 KB, 495x702) Image search: [Google]
Ra.jpg
89 KB, 495x702
>>46833976

When you're shown into Ra's private office once more – a strangely innocuous looking room, with little to tell it apart from a regular clerk's quarters – you immediately see a look of distaste flash across the old man's face. You came here as soon as possible, you start to tell him, and you didn't have time to-

“There was a dead body involved, then,” Ra deduces, “That complicates matters. Was it one of ours, or one of theirs?”

It was a person, a harsh note creeps into your voice as you tell him this, a person named Oad.

“Oad, the anarchist,” Ra nods, “Was that the only fatality?” A moment passes as Ra considers the issue a little more. “How did he die?” he asks, “In fact, why don't you just start from the beginning? I won't ask you for a written report – it might be best to keep this entire affair as unofficial as possible.”

Meaning, he wants to keep your name out of this.

“Is that surprising?” Ra raises an eyebrow, “I assumed you would want the same. As far as official records need to know, the problem has been resolved. A less honest man might pretend that there was never a problem in the first place. So...” Ra pulls across a sheet of paper and a little jar of dark ink, “Was there a problem?”

>Tell him everything – omit nothing
>Explain the situation, but leave Tawn out of it
>Make no mention of Panoptes, the god beneath the prison
>Tell Ra that there was no problem at all
>Other
>>
>>46834055
I know it's not practical, but I'd recommend not having a prison there with Panoptes under it.
>>
>>46834055
>>Tell him everything – omit nothing

I'd recommend moving the prison, or at minimum have a very nice priest and shrine put their with much better prison conditions.
>>
>>46834055
>>
>>46834055
>>Tell him everything – omit nothing
Honesty is the best policy.
>>
Better to tell Ra everything, you decide, and let him figure out the best way to deal with the situation. After all, this is the Emperor's business, and Ra might be the best person to handle the impulsive teenage ruler. So, taking your time to lay out the facts, you explain everything that happened on that lonesome, nameless – if that place has a name, you never heard it – island. When you're finished, as Ra is digesting what you've just told him, you recommend that the prison – or the prisoners intended for it – be moved elsewhere. Either that, or the prison is modified to accommodate the god beneath – a resident priest, perhaps, and better conditions.

“First of all,” Ra pauses for a moment to blow upon the still wet ink, “I'd like to thank you for your honestly. I've known many people who would be far less upfront with the facts – or, to put it plainly, they would have lie, deceive and misdirect according to their own motives. I'm almost entirely sure that you've not done any of that, and I appreciate the courtesy.”

Well, you reply, it seemed like the best policy. He's been good to you before, and you're not about to disrespect that now.

“As it should be,” the old man nods, “Next – Tawn. I have an idea of how to handle him, but I'd like to leave that until last. It's something that you might be able to help me with.”

You're not sure you like the sound of that.

“Now, to get to the heart of the matter,” Ra pinches the bridge of his nose, as if warding off a headache, “Moving an entire prison is, as you can imagine, not practical. At the moment, however, there are plenty of other dungeons to fill. In the short term, there should be no issue with leaving the island empty. The god itself, however, complicates matters.

They often do, you reply lightly, in your experience.

[1/2]
>>
>>46834439

“I'll say it plainly,” Ra's voice is frank, almost blunt, “If the Emperor got wind of this, he'd send a company of riflemen into those caverns and have the problem dealt with in the most direct way he could. I don't like that, but we need to consider the facts.”

You say nothing, but you can't keep a dark frown from passing across your face. You didn't spare Panoptes, you think, just to turn the role of executioner over to someone else.

“However...” a faint light of what might be humour enters Ra's eyes, “The caverns themselves might be as big of a problem. Building a tower on such uncertain ground is not a wise decision. It could waste a great deal of time and resources, for very little gain. I think... I believe that is what my report will say. Structural difficulties make building anything larger than a hut on that island a risky proposal.”

That's the official verdict, you reply, is it?

“Unless you had a better idea?” Ra spreads his hands, “I'm interested in anything you have to say. I can't guarantee that it will change my mind, but I welcome all opinions.”

>Structural problems are the perfect excuse. Now, what about Tawn?
>I think the Emperor should have the truth, whatever the consequences
>It seems like you're trying to protect this god. Is there a reason for that?
>I had a better story for the “official” report... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46834498
If you don't mind me asking.
>>
>>46834498
>>
>>46834498
>I had a better story for the “official” report... There are a series of vents that leak a gas that causes mania, hallucinations and eventually death.
>>
>>46834583
That could more easily be tested against and people were 'exposed' to it for a long time and no one died. How would we 'know' it causes death when that symptom never came up?
>>
>>46834651
The anarchist brother anon
>>
>>46834666
Died of blunt force trauma that some prisoners and the crew of the Hijiri knew about. Officials might not believe them initially but it would cause suspicion.

Also if these vents existed how come the original builders of the prison didn't go crazy?

Sorry I am just finding there is many more ways to poke holes in your story.

Why the change? At least with the structural plan we could eventually have a village or just a shrine out there.
>>
It seems, you think aloud, like he's trying to protect this god. Is there a reason for that? Assuming, of course, that he doesn't mind you asking. It just seems odd, you explain, for him to be so concerned about a single god.

“I have my reasons,” Ra replies vaguely, “For one, this could easily be used as propaganda. The Emperor ordering the destruction of a god would always stand the risk of provoking retaliation, and this cult situation only increases that risk further. On a more personal level...” He pauses here, and it seems like a long time before Ra can decide what to say. “It's unnecessary, let's just leave it at that. In this case, the god has not earned destruction.”

You suspect that there's something he isn't telling you, but you can accept that. You've got plenty of secrets that you've not shared with Ra, after all, and his “official” answer was good enough. No sense in goading the cult any more, even if the odds of the word spreading were fairly low. Letting the issue rest, you move onto your next issue. Structural problems, you decide, are a good excuse. Good enough, certainly.

“It's settled, then,” Ra rubs his hands together, “I'll see to it that the Emperor gets this report. Next...”

Tawn, you finish, right?

“Correct. I think you're right, in your assessment of his behaviour. Tawn needs rest, time to settle his thoughts and clear his mind. In that regard, I have a proposal,” Ra pauses, watching you for any reaction as he prepares his next statement. “I would like to send him back to the Nameless Temple,” the advisor declares, “Temporarily, you understand. Just so he can relearn some of the skills he needs to be a better agent. You could consider him an apprentice, if it helps. Just one that is a little... older than normal.”

[1/2]
>>
>>46834872

While you recognise the value of his suggestion, you counter, there is one problem with it. As a servant of the Emperor, Tawn's move to the Nameless Temple could be interpreted as an attempt at spying. If he was suspected of reporting back to the Emperor, he'd make a fair number of enemies. Worse, he might come to see the apprentices as enemies. You've already lost one of them, you tell Ra sternly, to one of the Emperor's men. Any more, and you might start to sympathise with their hostility.

“Yes,” Ra nods grudgingly, “I'm aware of the tensions, and how Tawn's presence might... complicate matters. I had hoped, however, that his arrival would be taken in good faith – a sign of cooperation, for example. He would be there to learn, to show understanding and appreciation of their ways.”

You're not sure about this, you say as you shake your head, you're really not. Tawn still has a few enemies among the other Wanderers – some people took his departure quite personally, as if he was a traitor to some larger cause. It would open a lot of old wounds, you add, if he came back.

“And if he came with a letter of recommendation?” Ra offers, “I don't know how much weight your word carries at the Nameless Temple, but...”

So, you think, that's what this is about. He wants you to open one of the few doors that he can't influence. It's a risky idea, no mistake about it, but you've got to admit that Tawn could benefit from it. You yourself suggested meditation, and a return to his roots. The thought that it might prevent another senseless death is also a pretty convincing one – that's a cause worth a little stress.

>Fine. I'll do what I can to ease his acceptance
>I don't think this is worth the risk. I can't help you
>I wanted to ask you something about this... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46835003

The Temple is neutral. Hell, we'll even accept Cultists who come in peace to learn and not be agitators. The Temple will be a place of positive dialogue and safe spaces.
>>
>>46835003
>>
>>46835003
>>
>>46835003
>>Fine. I'll do what I can to ease his acceptance
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. The irony better be not lost on all concerned.

I just hope Ra will be the forthcoming if the situation of a temple member goes to such lenght
>>
>>46835003
Only if you keep the Temple safe from another military occupation or any other bullshit that comes up.
>>
Fine, you decide with a sigh, you'll do what little you can to ease his acceptance. You might not be tremendously influential among the other Wanderers, but you like to think that the Mentor would take your advice. His word, in either case, would do more good than yours. This might all prove to be a learning experience, a way to expand the current debate – assuming that nobody tries to start any trouble, of course.

“Excellent news!” Ra begins, “I'm glad that you were-”

But, you interrupt, you've got conditions. First of all, you want Ra to keep protecting the Nameless Temple from a military occupation, or whatever else they might try to spring on you. Second, he needs to share some of the responsibility if trouble does come of this – no blaming it all on the apprentices or the temple itself.

“All very reasonable,” Ra agrees, “If anything, having one of my men at the temple should offer the military some assurance that the situation is being monitored. It doesn't matter if Tawn is there as a student, so long as they think he's there as a spy. A little misdirection can be very useful.”

For someone who prefers honesty, you think, Ra certainly isn't afraid to lie. All part of the job, you suppose.

“Now, Ira, you'll be pleased to know that I was able to arrange for an invitation to Kurasu's little event,” Ra offers a sly smile, as if there had been any doubt, “Tomorrow evening, as you recall, so you've got plenty of time to prepare yourself for it. There were a few issues I wanted to discuss with you, though – a few things you may benefit from knowing. Before we get into that, did you have any questions about the event itself? A quick lesson on protocol and etiquette, perhaps?”

You'd ask what he was implying by that, but you're fairly sure you wouldn't like the answer.

>Fine. What do I need to remember?
>Am I going to go unarmed?
>No questions. What did you want to say?
>I did have a question, actually... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46835266
>>Fine. What do I need to remember?
This'll be good.
>>Am I going to go unarmed?
"I'm supposed to be body guarding correct?"
>>
>>46835266
>Fine. What do I need to remember?
>Am I going to go unarmed?
>How likely is it Kurasu is going to try something when he sees I am there. He really doesn't like me after the last time we met.
>>
>>46835266
"I'm not 'accidentally' supposed to shoot Kurasu right? That's etiquette right?"
>>
>>46835266
"So title's don't really mean shit to me and I have trouble giving respect (kissing ass) to people that haven't earned it and I like to speak my mind. Is that going to be a problem?"
>>
>>46835266

How do I screw with Kurasu the most without being, you know, treasonous or anything. Ideally, how do I get the Emperor to laugh at him.

Bitches hate getting laughed at.
>>
>>46835266
> If shit goes down, who can I rely on to help me out - don't try to tell me you won't have people there.
>>
Fine, you sigh, what should you be keeping in mind?

“First of all, it's possible – likely, even – that someone might try to bait you into making a fool of yourself,” Ra says this bluntly, “The most important thing to remember is to avoid making a scene. If someone insults you, they'll do it in the most vague way possible – ignore it. It'll work out better for you in the long run.”

Is that the only thing you need to remember?

“I could sit here for a year and not explain everything there is to know about protocol,” Ra shakes his head in disgust, “And the information I began with would be out of date by the time I finished. You're a clever man, Ira – you'll figure it out. If not, best just to stay quiet and lurk in the background.”

That was your general plan, you tell him. After all, you'll be playing bodyguard for much of the evening – speaking of that, are you going to be unarmed?

“There will be no openly worn weapons,” Ra says carefully, “Take that how you will. Every loose sleeve might be hiding a pistol or dagger, and yours should be no different. Do be careful, though, if you choose to take a pistol – we wouldn't want it going off at the worst possible time, would we?”

Shooting Kurasu - “accidentally”, of course – would be bad, you agree. That must be what he means by etiquette.

“Quite so,” Ra nods with a faint smile, “See? You're getting the hang of it already.”

Speaking of Kurasu, you add, you wanted to raise that issue. How likely is it, you ask, that Kurasu will try to start trouble when he sees you? After all, you hardly parted company on good terms.

[1/?]
>>
>>46835685

“That was something I wanted to mention,” Ra sounds glad, as if he had been hoping you would be the one to raise the difficult subject, “Yes, it is likely that Kurasu will try to provoke you into an open argument. Again, I can only recommend that you avoid taking the bait. Likewise, I would advise against provoking him.”

Is there a reason for that, you ask, or is this just another “protocol” thing?

“In his day, Kurasu was quite the duellist,” Ra explains, “He'd draw swords at the slightest disrespect. In fact...” Rolling up his sleeve, the old advisor displays a long scar down one arm, “A disagreement over the military budget led to this. It seems like a lifetime ago now.”

Well, you shrug, Kurasu doesn't look like much of a duellist these days. He looks more like the type to struggle climbing a flight of stairs.

“Very true. However, rumour suggests that Kurasu has been nurturing a young duellist to act as his second, to fight in his place,” Ra thinks for a moment, “I've not been able to confirm that, though – being away from the capital has given Kurasu some time to cover up his tracks.”

And what would be the best way, you ask, to offend Kurasu without being openly treasonous? He could do with being taken down a peg, especially in front of the Emperor, but you'd rather not get yourself executed over it.

“Ideally, you'd want something that couldn't be traced back to you,” Ra considers the issue, “And even then, it's a risk that I wouldn't take. Still...” A pause, during which Ra can't quite hide the amusement in his eyes. “I hear Matsuhiro won't be attending this little event, choosing to remain down in the south-west instead. That's quite the snub, especially for a man of Kurasu's temperament.”

Perfect, you grin.

[2/3]
>>
>>46835868

Now that social conflict has been covered, you ask, what about the possibility of actual combat? If something goes terribly wrong, who can you trust to have your back? You're going to assume that Ra will have men in place, and you won't believe any denial.

“Security will be discrete, but they will definitely be watching,” Ra confirms, “But if you're looking for a specific person you can fight alongside... I hear Miura has a particularly competent bodyguard, these days. She might be your best chance of an ally. Assuming, of course, that the situation calls for it.”

Crescent Moon. Ra's agent within Selene's temple. It stands to reason that she'd be there, watching over her young charge. You've not fought alongside Ishida before, but you trust Ra's judgement – you'll have to keep her in mind.

“Was there anything else?” Ra asks.

Maybe. Titles don't mean much to you, you tell him with a grin, and you don't care for giving respect that hasn't been earned. Not only that, but you like to speak your mind, even when it isn't political to do so. What you're trying to say is, will that be a problem?

The only way Ra could look more pained, you decide, was if you had punched him in the stomach. He practically winces at your blunt words, or possibly the savage look on your face when you say them. “Please,” he asks, “Please tell me that was insincere. This is not a laughing matter, Ira, no matter what you might prefer to think.”

You wouldn't say if was “insincere”, so much, but...

“That invitation could quickly vanish,” Ra reminds you, “Now, I wanted to speak to you about the Emperor. This is sensitive information – it does not leave this room, understood?”

That gives you pause. Ra has spoken of sensitive matters before, without this level of precaution. What kind of dire secrets does he have for you?

>I understand
>I can't promise that
>Don't tell me. I reckon I'm safer not knowing
>Other
>>
>>46835961
>I understand
>>
>>46835961
>>I understand
>>
>>46835961
>>I understand
>>
>>46835961
> Sure. What's one more earth shattering revelation? I mean, do you want to hear about the most recent one I got?

> Well you can't. Because I know how to keep a secret.
>>
>>46836167
Anon what is the point of that entire post? Just to give Ra shit as he is about to put more trust in us? Kinda dumb.
>>
You understand, you swear, you won't mention this to anyone outside.

You might even be telling the truth.

“This concerns Sho's family,” Ra begins, “Do you remember what I said about them, not long before you first met with the Emperor?”

He said not to ask about them, you answer as you think back, not to even mention them.

“Correct. Now, I think I should explain a little more,” Ra takes a deep breath, looking more uncertain than you've ever seen him, “Not long after Sho was born, a messenger arrived from Garuna. They came from the sisterhood of Selene, bearing a prophecy. It is no exaggeration to say that the contents of that prophecy destroyed Sho's family. His mother abandoned him, fleeing from the capital under the cover of night. To this day, we never could figure out her fate – she simply vanished. That, combined with whatever was within that prophecy, left Sho's father a broken man.”

Silence, then, as you consider the story. What, you begin to ask was-

“The prophecy? Sho's father never said,” Ra shakes his head, “To the best of my knowledge, there is only one person alive today that might know, and that's Sho himself. He never speaks of it, not to me at least.”

Go back a little, you ask, what did Ra mean when he said that Sho's father was a “broken” man?

“He lost most of his will to rule,” Ra explains, “It rarely showed on his public face, but he was weak – easily manipulated by anyone who could whisper into his ear. I suspect that the current dominance of the military is largely down to this, to Hirohito making a grab for power. In many ways...” the advisor looks away from you, grimacing a little at some bitter memory, “It would have been better, I think, if Sho's father had died sooner.”

>Why are you telling me this?
>Ra... how did Sho's father die?
>I see... I think
>I need to ask something... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46836234
>>Ra... how did Sho's father die?
>>
>>46836167
Sounds like the kind of things a young Ira would say, just with a lot more "fuckin'" added into here and there.

Kinda want a flashback episode where we play a foul mouthed Ira.
I swear on me mentor, mate I deck you in the gob.
>>
>>46836234
>>Why are you telling me this?
>>Ra... how did Sho's father die?
>>
>>46836234
>Other
"Selene's prophecies cause more trouble than they are worth. She told me herself that the ones she makes are a potential future, but one of many. There's no point in knowing the future, specially if it might not even come to pass. Life is hard enough without that knowledge hanging over your head."
>>
>>46836340
All that said though she could have lied to us, but the idea still stands.

We can probably ask her about Sho's prophecy when we see her int he Catacombs.
>>
>>46836234
She freely admits she can't see all futures, and unless you see her true form and speak to her directly, she will lie to you. After all it's "No word fallen from her lips" Not words fallen from the lips of an oracle or a proxy.
>>
Ra, you begin slowly, how exactly did Sho's father die?

“I believe it was called an imbalance of the humours,” Ra replies vaguely, “That, at least, is what the court physician claimed.”

Okay, you nod, and how did he really die?

“You're suggesting that someone murdered the man who was, at the time, Emperor,” Ra points out, “That's a very serious accusation to make, Ira – even just making the accusation could be considered treason, depending on who you were blaming.”

Nobody is blaming anyone, you offer, you're just talking. After all, this conversation will never leave this room – so why not speak plainly? When Ra doesn't answer, you try a different approach – why, you ask, is he telling you this? Why even start this conversation?

“I felt it was something you should keep in mind when you next meet Sho,” Ra answers, his silence breaking, “I'll be open about my motives – I'd like to know what that prophecy said. Sho has lived under its weight for most of his life, and knowing what that prophecy said might give me some hint at his motives. I don't know if he'd ever open up to someone, least of all someone like you, but the chance is good enough. Perhaps you might have the right mindset for him to open up to.”

You've got to advise against trusting too strongly in Selene's prophecies, you warn Ra, they can be wrong. Selene herself admitted that she sees versions of the future, and not all of them. Knowing the future can be a terrible burden, but so can believing in a false future. This prophecy that has been guiding Sho's life might be nothing more than a falsehood – if not a deliberate lie. If it doesn't come from Selene's own lips, it's no more honest than the words of a regular man or woman.

[1/2]
>>
>>46836565

“That's exactly what I mean,” Ra nods, a faint trace of eagerness entering the motion, “The insight into Selene's ways. That might just be the key that unlocks Sho's secrets. If you should get the chance to speak with him, come the event tomorrow...”

You can't promise anything, you tell Ra before he can ask, but you'll how willing the boy is to talk. That's about the best you can do.

“Very well,” Ra sighs slightly, leaning back in his chair, “I think we're done here, Ira. If you wish, I can refer you to a good tailor – someone who can make you a good suit at short notice. And... a bathhouse, perhaps.”

Of course. The smell. You can't carry a dead body around on your shoulders and not have some of the smell rub off on you. It's just not possible. You grimace slightly as Ra scrawls a few addresses on a scrap of paper and hands the slip over. One more thing to deal with. After bowing, you turn to leave, only for Ra to call out softly.

“Tell me, Ira,” he begins, his voice barely above a murmur, “If you thought you could steer this land down a better path, if you really believed that, what would you be willing to sacrifice?”

With your hand on the door, you hesitate.

“No, a bad choice of wording. I don't mean for you to do it religiously,” Ra shakes his head, “What would you be willing to do, if you thought you could fix all the problems this land had?”

>You killed him, didn't you? Sho's father, I mean
>It's not my place to decide these things
>A weak leader has no place ruling, that's all I should say about this matter
>Other
>>
>>46836724
>Other
"I don't know Ra, but I have a feeling that I will find out sooner rather than later. I just try to make the best decisions I can, day by day."

>You killed him, didn't you? Sho's father, I mean
>>
>>46836724
>>It's not my place to decide these things
I lack Context, I couldn't say. That said RA I do not believe you are an evil man. Just remember sometimes the road to hell is paved with the best intentions.
>>
>>46836724
>>It's not my place to decide these things
the land is it's people. Both mortal and immortal.
>>
>>46836724
>>You killed him, didn't you? Sho's father, I mean
>>
>>46836724
>Until I get such an opportunity, I don't think I'll know.
>>
You don't really know, you tell Ra honestly, and you're not sure that it's your place to decide. Still, you've got a feeling that you might have to, sooner or later. At the end of the day, all you can do is make the best decisions you can, just like anyone else. You don't have enough information, enough context to give him a more solid answer than that. For what it's worth...

“Yes?” Ra asks, the polite detachment in his voice covering up something else, a kind of eagerness that the old man would never allow himself to show.

You don't think he's an evil man, you answer honestly, and you do believe that he had good intentions – but those aren't always a guarantee of good results. In the silence that follows, you barely need to whisper your next question for it to be heard. He was the one who killed Sho's father, you ask softly, wasn't he?

“What I did,” Ra replies plainly, “I did for the good of the land. We were friends, you know, not just an Emperor and his advisor. No matter what my personal feelings were, I saw the way things were going, the way they would end if he had lived longer. It could have been a coup, the military seizing power through the back door. In order to prevent that, would you have done the same?”

You don't think you can answer that, you tell him with a shake of your head, not unless you're faced with the same choice.

[1/2]
>>
>>46837182

“Strange,” Ra manages a small laugh, “That's exactly how I thought. Until circumstances demanded it, I had no idea how I would react. I couldn't even contemplate choosing between my Emperor – my friend – and the good of the land. The good of the land...” Ra repeats bitterly, “Look where we are now. Can this really be considered the “good” of anything? Maybe the land would have been better off in the hands of the military.”

The land and the people – mortal and divine – cannot be separated, you tell him, the military would not have been kind masters.

“Ira?” Ra asks, “I would like a moment alone, and I'm sure you have other business to attend to. Please, keep in mind what I asked – keep this a secret. I hope you appreciate how much power I'm giving you, how easily this could destroy me.”

Why say anything at all, you wonder, in that case?

“Because you're the first person in a long time that I could consider a friend,” Ra answers honestly, “And I dearly felt the need to tell someone.”

That's... you're not really sure what that is.

>Leave in silence
>Say something to him (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46837233
For what it's worth I consider you one too, as for what we talked about? I really do need to shave and bathe after carrying a corpse. I am starting to smell.
>>
>>46837233
>Other
Shake his hand.

Then leave.
>>
>>46837233
Smile

I don't appreciate the power you give me, Ra. I appreciate the friendship we share.
>>
For what it's worth, you begin as you offer Ra your hand, you consider him a friend as well. The naked honesty in Ra's smile as he takes your hand, shaking it warmly, hit you hard. How long, you wonder, has he been keeping this bottled up inside? Well, that's something you can answer easily – ever since Sho's father died. Ever since he murdered his friend and ruler. You appreciate the friendship he's given you, you tell him, not the power you hold over him.

“You're a good man, Ira,” Ra replies solemnly, “An excellent man, in fact.”

A man in need of a bath, you correct him, he was right about that much. You need a good wash, a good shave and a change of clothes. Dragging a dead body around does that to man.

“Then I'll let you get away,” Ra smiles again, your flippant comment defusing some of the tension, “Do you think you can say clean for a day or so?”

Just about, you shrug, with a little luck. Shaking his hand once more, you turn and leave. Your mind is busy as you walk down the palace corridors, churning with uncertainty and the new information you've just learned. Just who, you ask yourself, is to blame for Sho's current mindset, one that is dragging Tenngaru closer to war? Ra, for taking away the boy's father? Selene, for cursing the family with an unknowable prophecy? The heads of the military, for luring the boy down a darker path? Maybe Sho himself is to blame, motives of his own driving the boy forwards. You might never get the chance to find out.

Somewhere along the line, you take a wrong turn and find yourself walking down a different corridor to the one you arrived by. Simple curiosity urges you further down the plushly decorated pathway, and you soon emerge out into a lush garden. Scores of servants scurry back and forth, carrying flowers as they work to get the place as beautiful as possible.

[1/2]
>>
>>46837586

At least the scent of flowers will drown out your own stink, you think with a wry smile as you wander across to a bench and lower yourself down. The sun has grown warm, now, and it's finally starting to ease some of the tension from your body. It's not as good as a hot bath, but it's a good way to stop and gather your strength.

This garden must be where the party is going to be held, you guess, and that's the reason for all the hustle and bustle. At such short notice, the servants must have been working flat out to get things in some kind of presentable state. Your job might be more dangerous, but you've never envied the constant labour that these kind of servants do. At least you get the chance to sit like this and appreciate their hard work.

Then you see it, flashing across your vision too quick for you to get a good look. It seemed to be a glimpse of red hair – a most unusual colour. In fact, of all your time spent travelling the land, you've only seen one living person with that precise shade of red hair.

Soma. Once an apprentice of the Nameless Temple, now a member of the Seer's violent cult.

Could she be here? Could the cult have infiltrated this deeply?

>Chase after them. You need to be sure
>Let them go. You're getting paranoid
>Other
>>
>>46837701
Oh no.
>>
>>46837701
>Chase after them.
>>
>>46837701
We don't need a cultist doing bad shit at this party.

Ah who am I kidding, it's totally going to happen.
>>
>>46837701
>>
>>46837701
>>Chase after them. You need to be sure
we have that wind card that can allow us to close the gap if need be. We should use that among other things.
>>
File: Soma.png (310 KB, 347x700) Image search: [Google]
Soma.png
310 KB, 347x700
The last cultist you chased after pulled a gun on you. Shots were, in fact, fired. In a public place like this, with workers coming and going in a constant flow, that kind of gunfight would be a disaster, a pointless waste of life.

But you can't let them get away. You need to be sure.

Desperately trying to consider the possibility that you might be wrong, that it might just happen to be someone else with the same colour hair, you take off after that flash of red. With so many workers moving in and out of the area, many of them wearing wide hats or scarves tied over their heads, it's hard – damn near impossible – to check every single one of them at a glance. Just as you're starting to give up hope, you catch another glimpse of red, one moving away to a more secluded part of the gardens.

Tawn called you a hunting hound. Now it's time to show the truth in those words. Preparing your magic, just in case this pursuit turns into an open chase, you follow the trail. As your quarry moves away from the rest of the workers, it becomes easier to pick out their footprints, to follow the tracks they've left in the soil. You prowl forwards, glancing back and forth to keep watch for any ambush – any other cultist that might have been waiting for you to fall into their trap – but you spy nothing. Nothing, that is, until you emerge in a shaded corner of the garden.

People don't come here often. The overgrown bushes and untrimmed hedges are proof of that. Fat, spoiled nobility wouldn't suffer the indignity of taking shelter here, not like the redhead standing silently before you.

“Hello Ira,” Soma – her face is unmistakable – greets you, “Don't run and fetch the guards. Please.”

>Give me a damn good reason not to
>That depends. Are you alone?
>It's good to see you safe
>Other
>>
>>46837987
> That depends, what are you doing here?
>>
>>46837987
>That depends. Are you alone?
>It's good to see you safe
"Though I'm not sure I like what you being here implies. Why are you here?"
>>
>>46838008
This.
>>
>46837987
>Other
"While certain members of tomorrows party I would not miss, I hope it would not turn into another Dragons Head."
>>
That depends, you begin as you reach down and touch the grip of your sword, on what she's doing here – and if she's alone or not.

“I'm alone,” Soma promises you, “And I'm not here to cause trouble. You... might not believe that, but it's the truth. I'm here for... well, it's a little hard to explain.” Falling silent, she brushes aside the loose and shapeless garb she wears to reveal the butt of a revolver. Slowly, moving with exactly the kind of care you like to see when someone is handling a gun, she draws the weapon out and places it on the ground. “See?” she offers, “I'm not looking for a fight.”

That's good, you reply, because while there are some members of tomorrow's party that you wouldn't miss much you have little desire to see it turning into the Dragon's Head. Once was enough. Soma has the good grace to wince at that, at the implication behind it, but she says nothing. Instead, she takes a single measured step away from her gun and sits on a patch of overgrown grass.

“I'd like to speak like a normal human being,” she asks, “Not an enemy, not some cultist. I just want to talk.”

You sit close to her gun, letting your hand fall protectively over it. In terms of simple advantage, you have her at your mercy. It's good to see her safe, you admit, even if you don't like the implications of seeing her here.

“I have two reasons for being here,” Soma tells you plainly, “I was sent here as a spy. I won't try to deny it – I'm here to test security, to get a feel for the mood of things, to gather as much information as I can. Not to fight, not to sabotage, not to kill anyone.”

Very noble, you reply, but what does she think that information would be used for? The Seer won't exactly be sending a present to Kurasu's promotion.

“Is that why they're holding a party?” a faint smile, bitter and insincere, crosses Soma's face, “I never knew.”

[1/2]
>>
>>46838306

So she isn't here to spy on the party in particular?

“No,” Soma shakes her head, “My orders were to infiltrate the palace, by any means necessary. This... party seems to have called for a lot of servants on short notice. I was able to get a job here, in the gardens. I might see about upgrading, switching to something in the party itself. They'll need a lot of people, I imagine, to carry the wine and food.”

She said she had two reasons for being here, you point out, what about the second?

“This isn't as easy to explain,” she warns you, “But I wanted to see this place for myself.”

The capital, you ask, she wanted to see the capital?

“Yes. To see my enemies. To see a city without gods,” Soma glances around, sighing softly, “At least it's nice here. You can't see the factories or the slums, and the sky isn't dark with smoke. I suppose that's what they expect, these nobles. It feels like we're miles away from the real world.”

Her home at the cult enclave, you point out, felt the same way to you. Detached from the rest of the world. Isolated.

“True. I suppose it would feel like that, at first,” Soma sighs again, “Then it becomes your whole world. The cultists become your family. The Seer becomes, well... I don't know. Not quite a god, but something close – if you believe some of the more devoted members. I don't.”

She sounds... sad. As if the world here doesn't please her, but the idea of returning home is an unwelcome one as well. She sounds like a rootless wanderer, desperate to find a new place to call home. She sounds... vulnerable.

>What's it like over there, with the cult?
>You can leave any time you like, you know
>You should know, I killed the Seer's faceless servant
>Other
>>
>>46838431
>>
>>46838431
"And you can come back to the Temple if you want. You haven't lost your place there."
>>
>>46838431
>The Nameless temple is always open to those with nowhere to go, provided they come in good faith.
>>
>>46838494
You want Tawn to kill her in her sleep, don't you, anon?
>>
>>46838648
Tawn doesn't know her former allegiances.
>>
>>46838648
Tawn is going to be a fish out of water almost as much as she is. He doesn't need to know about her ties to the cultists either since it shouldn't matter in the Temple as long as they are willing to learn.
>>
>>46838674
>>46838709
Her ties with the cult will inevitably come out.
>>
>>46838820
Tawn is kind of angry right now, but I don't think he is going to try an assassinate someone due to her previous ties. Specially if we are working to calm him down. He's not unreasonable, he was feeling shame towards what he did to the anarchist.
>>
What's it like over there, you ask, with the cult?

“What's it like?” Soma repeats the question to herself, “Quiet, I'd say. It's a little hard to say for sure because people come and go, but the place feels deserted lately. It's almost...”

Almost, you prompt, almost what?

“You ever see rats running from a burning barn?” Soma asks, “Well, it's not like that. It's nothing like that. I've got so sense of fleeing, of a disorganised retreat. It's more like everyone has been ordered to relocate, to move somewhere else. I don't like it – I wasn't told about this, about any of it... whatever “it” is.” The words flow out of her, as if she's desperate to unburden herself.

You consider her words, mulling them over in silence. It sounds, you think, like the cult might be moving its soldiers to their next target. They might be ready to make a move soon, if they move at all. Glancing across at Soma's grim expression, you realise how uncertain she must be. Something about this sudden migration has shaken her faith. She can leave any time she likes, you mention, she should remember that.

“Leave?” Soma turns, her eyes widening slightly, “Leave and go where? I've burned every bridge that I have, all except for this one.”

The Nameless Temple is always open to those with nowhere else to go, you tell her, as long as they come in good faith. She has a place there, if she wants it.

“A place there...” Soma manages a small smile, “My turn to ask a question, Ira – what's it like over there, back at the Nameless Temple? Has it changed much?”

It might be nice, you admit, to have someone returning to it rather than leaving.

“It's that bad?” Soma breathes.

>It's bad. I won't lie
>Isn't that what you wanted?
>Now I think about it, you might not be safe there. Are you prepared to risk that?
>Other
>>
>>46838911
>Well Seer had his agent there stirring up trouble, trying to make apprentices kill each and make everyone miserable. It is that bad. Even with him removed recovery is long in the coming with all the tension happening. A wild God could easily rampage across the land killing as it willed, and we'd be too depleted to stop it, just as Seer intended. After all in his mind, Men deserve Gods who push them down and devour them.
>>
>>46838911
>>It's bad. I won't lie
>>Isn't that what you wanted?
"Not you specifically, but your cult was killing Wanderers and taking in easily convinced apprentices as foot soldiers. That led to the military occupying us for a time until I finally got them to leave, but the tension remains. With your Nameless agent dead finally we are on the road to recovery though, so there is some light to look forward to."
>>
>>46838911
>>It's bad. I won't lie
>>Isn't that what you wanted?
people from both sides have caused problems and there was one cult member who tried to instigate a fatal duel amongst apprentices.

Not sure if we know IC, but if we do, said cultist also used a sorcerous tool to try and kill a bunch of worshipers by instigating the military. Likely to further aggression amongst both groups.
>>
>>46839069
The Solitude incident? Yeah we knew it was Nameless that did it. It's going to be part of the newspaper.
>>
>>46839116
then there we go. For his talk of not letting the things that happened at the 'rest' of the world, he's very keen on using said methods if it furthers his goals. Including lying, decieving, and using his own followers.
>>
Well, you begin, the Seer had his agent hidden among you trying to stir up trouble. He tried to get the apprentices to kill each other, if she can believe that. Even now that he's gone, the recovery is going to be a slow process considering the tensions gripping the land. If something happened that demanded the service of a Wanderer, if a great and terrible god rose up to dominate the land, the Nameless Temple might not be able to do much about it.

So, you conclude, it's pretty bad.

“I didn't...” Soma begins, but you don't let her finish.

What's wrong, you ask, isn't this what she wanted? It's what the Seer wanted, to reduce men to prey for the gods. It's his actions that have led to murdered Wanderers and wayward apprentices, his actions that led to a military occupation of the Nameless Temple. You were able to end it, but the scars are still there.

“Now hold on!” Soma insists, “We're not... I mean, the military has their share of blood on their hands. They've done as much to stir things up as we have!”

Like Solitude, you ask quietly, is that it?

“They almost burned the whole damn town down!” Soma presses, anger entering her words, “What about the people who lived there? What about-”

The military wasn't behind Solitude, you tell her, that was her faceless friend. He pulled the strings, playing both sides against each other at the Seer's orders.

“He...” Soma's voice dies, her shoulders slumping low, “You're not lying, are you?”

No, you tell her, it's the truth. It might not be what she wanted to hear, but that doesn't change the facts.

Soma is silent for a long time, her posture broken and defeated. “I'd be welcome there?” she asks in a whisper, “At the Nameless Temple?”

>We'd be happy to have you back
>I can't guarantee you a pleasant time, but you'd be safe
>I don't know. It might be dangerous
>I think you should turn yourself in, give yourself up to the soldiers
>Other
>>
>>46839283
>>I can't guarantee you a pleasant time, but you'd be safe
many there are looking to redeem themselves and improve themselves. You won't be the only one.
>>
>>46839283
>It might be dangerous
>There may be other cult agents
>There also will be a paranoid Imperial agent
>But the rest of us will be happy to have you back
>>
>>46839283
>>
>>46839283
>>46839328
this
>>
>>46839283
"I can't speak for everyone, tensions are still high, but I'd be happy to have you back. As would Howa, Mentor, and some of the apprentices I'd imagine."

>>
You can't guarantee her a pleasant time, you admit, because things aren't so peaceful over at the Nameless Temple at the moment – as you may have mentioned – but you think she'd be safe. You can't rule out any other cult agents hiding among the temple – or Imperial agents, in fact – either. Still, you're willing to wager that many would be willing to welcome her back. The Mentor, for one, and Howa. She won't be the only one there looking to redeem and improve themselves either.

Above all, you add, you'd be happy to welcome her back.

“This doesn't change everything,” Soma murmurs, “The gods need people to defend them, that hasn't changed. If anything, they need that protection now more than ever. I still have faith in the heart of the Seer's beliefs – but not in the man himself. Not if he's willing to put the gods themselves to the torch. There's just one thing.”

One thing, you repeat with a raised eyebrow, is that all?

“If you're lying to me, I won't forget it,” Soma warns you, “And I won't forgive you.”

You're not lying, you tell her, you've given her the truth.

“Then...” Soma stands, dusting herself off, “I'll have to consider it. It's a long road to travel – I'll need some time to prepare.”

Looks like you've got another letter of recommendation to write.

>I'll end things here for today. Next thread on Sunday, and I'll stick around for a while in case of any questions!
>>
>>46839635
She should read the paper coming up.

Thanks for running Moloch.
>>
>>46839635
Does she know we offed the agent? Are Tawn and Soma going to hit it off despite previously being on opposite sides?
>>
>>46839672
They still got super opposite ideals. Hopefully with Ira's influence they'll stray away from extremism. Koa could probably help them too, he's mature enough.
>>
>>46839672

I don't think we mentioned killing faceless, but that wouldn't really sway Soma against us. She didn't like him much - for obvious reasons!
Tawn and Soma hitting it off? That's downright implausible!
So I might have considered it.

>>46839658

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when the next issue of the paper comes out!
>>
>>46839791
So Selene's bullshit seems to be causing most of the bad shit that's been happening, giving 'prophecies' to Seer and the Emperor. I wonder if she is trying something, her followers are trying something, or this is all one big terrible coincidence.
>>
>>46839791
>might have
>>
>>46840000
she herself is likely doing nothing, but the words could easily be messed with by any number of third parties. For all we know, this is a long game with Mentor. As is, we need to find out more information.
>>
>>46840000
That Selene is really, really conspicuous.
>>
>>46840000

One unfortunate thing to consider is that gods and humans don't always think the same way. For Selene, a goddess of truth - among other things - it would only be natural for her to share her insights with people. The fact that her prophecies rarely bring any happiness never really seems to occur to her.

Then again, she might also have her own axe to grind!
>>
>>46840108
Something to ask her when we see her in the catacombs, among other things.

How did Seer receive his vision?

What else does Selene and her priests do besides prophecy?
>>
File: 1460999080261.png (17 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1460999080261.png
17 KB, 500x400
>>46840000
Maybe we should
remove Lunar
>>
>>46840108
Anyone notice us following Soma?
>>
>>46840171

The Seer received his vision through a very old - and now forbidden - ritual. It involves having a specially prepared candle lit and held against one eye, so it's quite a barbaric affair. Interestingly, it doesn't receive a vision so much as it takes one. It has an element of sorcery to it, which is largely why it was struck from the records.

Selene and her temple have a lot of influence in Garuna, where they operate as a sort of local government. Her priests often take the role of teacher, spreading literacy and instruction on living a good life. The church does a lot of good in the world, although their influence isn't infinite.

>>46840289

A few of her fellow garden workers might have taken notice, but what are the odds of a servant being a spy for a greater power?
>>
>>46840324
>but what are the odds of a servant being a spy for a greater power?
HHAHAHAHAHAHa , Fuck
>>
>>46839283
>“He...” Soma's voice dies, her shoulders slumping low, “You're not lying, are you?”

Moloch I don't want to be that guy, but Soma was in the room when we were confronting Seer about Solitude and Titanos. And his whole 'ends justify the means' thing. It seemed like she knew about all his bullshit already.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/46287269/#p46290850
>>
>>46840440

...Fuck. I went back over what we told her, but I totally blanked that bit.

I'm going to have to think about this.
>>
>>46840476
Seer magic'd it so the conversation was between Ira and him only while Soma was messing around in the background maybe?
>>
>>46840440
>>46840476
there is a bit of difference though, from using what comes and outright instigating it. We knew someone was causing problems, but the way it seemed it felt like 'I do not condone but if it happens I will use it.'. This is being contradictory to that. Least thats what I saw.
>>
>>46840521
>He tried to orchestrate a massacre at Solitude, he tried to drag Titanos back to his primal past, and he killed so many at the Dragon's Head. All to derail any attempt at a stable future – or did he have some other reason? He can hardly blame this on the Emperor, when he has been the one pulling the string.

>"Because I see this... war as a necessity,” the Seer tells you gravely, “It is not one that I take delight in, but I know that it must be done."

That's pretty much him confirming the he did it.
>>
>>46840511

It's what it might have to come down to, that or having the Seer "edit" out parts of Soma's memory. I'd rather not use a heavy handed excuse like "a wizard did it", but I feel like an overt retcon would be worse. In either case, I try to avoid situations like as best I can, but I guess I slipped up this time. I have to apologise to everyone reading - it's my mistake.

I could also argue that Soma's trust in the Seer changed a great deal, and she was already feeling uncertain and vulnerable, but that's not a perfect excuse.
>>
>>46840633
It's all good, shit happens.
>>
>>46840633
well, mentor always seemed to have access to spell cards and healing, so it wouldn't be surprising if he used a few social ones as well to remove focus or make him seem more reasonable. Early on we did consider the cult using methods similar to the hashashins, and considering how much we jostled soma's world view, it likely broke her out of it.
>>
>>46840668
>>46840703

Yeah, I don't think I've crossed a line that I can't come back from, it's just a little frustrating for me.
In a way, it's frustrating because I wanted the Seer to be genuine. I thought that it weakened his argument if he needed to brainwash and manipulate people.

I'm just glad that everyone has been understanding. I'm very lucky in that regard!
>>
>>46840779
People can be genuine while still using methods to ease worries and the like. We have done it before several times with our own spell cards. Easing tense situations and then helping everyone involved.

In a way, Seer is a neat mirror to both Mentor and Ira. All three want to do the right thing, but their methods to go about and goals are different. After all, the most dangerous sort of person is someone who belives they are doing good and are blinded by it.
>>
>>46840856
>After all, the most dangerous sort of person is someone who belives they are doing good and are blinded by it.

I think that sums up Seer very well. So damn blind. See's one damned potential future and that's all he focuses on.
>>
>>46840856

That's certainly true. When I started working on the quest, I tried to keep the possibility of siding with both the Seer and the Emperor in mind. Neither of them was really a "bad" path to take. I wonder what the story would be like by now if we'd sided with the Emperor?

>>46840882

Part of the Seer's problems is that the vision he endured was so vivid that it seems - to him, at least - as though any other possibility is a pale imitation. That's no excuse, though!
>>
>>46840955
If we were working on the Empire side it brings up another question of whether we help the military or only report to Sho.

Even now things are looking like we might possibly help Sho out or at least establish some kind of positive relation.
>>
>>46840882
Ironic considering his name. Same could be said for mentor and not being a good teacher at times.

Hell, Ira is a cool headed man compared to his start. Makes me wonder what Ira in his prime would be like and if we could get the chance to do so during a climatic fight.
>>
>>46841072

Honestly, I feel like it could have turned into a completely different kind of quest if we'd gone along a different path. Not to complain about the path we did take - I'm having a lot of fun writing this!

>>46841077

I've been mulling over the idea of a flashback episode or something similar, a look at Ira as a young man, for a while now. I've just never quite been able to think of a good time for it, or a good reason to look back. The idea, at least, is still on the table.
Interestingly, the art I used for Murasa was originally going to be a younger Howa.
>>
>>46841219
>Honestly, I feel like it could have turned into a completely different kind of quest if we'd gone along a different path.

That can definitely be said about all your quests so far. Like if Amelia went Law or Chaos back in the day. New Cycle would be completely different or might have just not existed. And it doesn't just end with the alignment choice. Like would Law Amelia stick with hard-line YHVH or do something like Cass's revolution or something completely different? Chaos Amelia trying to overthrow Lucifer or something else.

Hell our Neutral route wasn't really standard either.
>>
>>46841219
>Interestingly, the art I used for Murasa was originally going to be a younger Howa.

>Murasa is unused Howa asset.

That explains the...well did Murasa actually dig Ira or was she just teasing? Was it the eyepatch?
>>
>>46841377

In many ways, I think that's one of the best things about the "quest" format - the fact that a few small decisions can easily spin off into a totally unexpected direction.

>>46841448

She offered him a room, there's absolutely nothing suggestive about that!
It was the eyepatch. Pirate chicks dig eyepatches.
>>
>>46841219
Eh, sure there's way to use that stuff yet. If mentor and seer could slow their age and regenerate grevious wounds, there is always the possibility of rejuvination of the body. Not really useful for them considering they sorcerors, but good for Ira.

That and I am picturing Howa trying to handle seeing a young Ira again.
>>
>>46841500
So what made Ra open up to us so much? Has really not had someone to talk to that isn't mired in political bullshit that Ira was just awesome for him?
>>
>>46841500
I was surprised at Howa not teletporting in and glaring from the water after that.

In a more serious note, Is the immortality of Seer and mentor transferable? Whether voluntarily or "broke it you bought it" sense? Also how does it work? Did it make them as look as old as they feel, or did they legit age?
>>
>>46841712

In a way, yes. For a man in Ra's position, it's very hard to make a reliable friend and ally that isn't neck deep in politics. Ira has a lot more flexibility, and that makes him a valuable friend.
Admittedly, there is a slight element of cynicism in there as well. I think Ra would have been a lot slower to talk if Ira had been more loyal to the Emperor

>>46841726

Sorcerers could devote a certain amount of the power they stole to prolonging their lives, which often had the effect of causing their apparent age to change wildly. With enough power, a sorcerer could become completely ageless, simply choosing to appear whatever age they like. In the case of the Seer and the Mentor, they were very old when they got their greatest powers, and they chose to remain old. Partially, it's a humility thing, but it also lends them an air of authority.

As for their immortality, it's not something they can gift to someone else. Sorcery tends to be inherently selfish, bound to the wielder alone.
>>
>>46841889
Could it be used as a curse?
>>
>>46841889
>I think Ra would have been a lot slower to talk if Ira had been more loyal to the Emperor
That makes sense. Ra would die if we told Sho that Ra killed his father.
>>
>>46841942
The immorality?
>bound to the wielder alone.
Don't think so.
>>
>>46841942
>>46842002

Immortality itself couldn't be forced upon another as a curse, but a sorcerer could wither someone's body if they felt particularly cruel. A young man might be trapped in the body of a frail old man, say.

>>46841948

I certainly can't imagine Sho would be very happy about it, that's for sure!
>>
>>46842069
Is Sho's mother still alive?
>>
>>46842147

That's honestly something I've not decided yet. I didn't plan for her to have any greater significance beyond her influence on Sho's childhood, but that might yet change.
>>
>>46842217
>her influence on Sho's childhood
Or lack thereof.

>Leaving your kid based on some 'prophecy' that anyone could have written.
Shameful. At least Seer had a sorcery vision, Sho's parents just got a fucking telegraph.
>>
>>46842309

An absence can be just as influential as a presence. I won't defend her actions, though - it's a pretty shitty thing to do, leaving suddenly like that.

Sometimes, some people are just weak.
>>
>>46842426
>Sometimes, some people are just weak.
Time for a World. Of. Strength!
>>
>>46842426
Can Mortal weapons harm a physical embodiment of a god?
>>
>>46842571
Isn't that what we've been doing?
>>
>>46842595
We're a priest, not sure we count honestly.
>>
>>46842610
We don't imbue our sword and gun. They are as average and mundane as the next weapon.

Ra even said that if Sho found out about the Spider God he'd send a bunch of riflemen to take it out.
>>
>>46842571

They can, yes. Ultimately, a line of riflemen would put a god to sleep just as efficiently as anything we could do. Something like Lapis, a great big dragon, might take quite a lot of killing, but it could certainly be done. Wanderers will typically have access to magic that makes the job easier, though.
>>
>>46842634
The party next up for us next thread?
>>
>>46842744

I hope so. That's the plan, at least, but I have a habit of getting sidetracked. In either case, I'm preparing material on the assumption of getting to the party.
>>
>>46842804
Is Murasa available to hired whenever? Having a fast ship could be useful every now and then.

Do we have to go through Ra first?
>>
>>46842926

Her services as a captain are available, yes. She is technically one of Ra's "assets", but he's currently sharing resources with us so we'll have access to Murasa and her ship.
The only drawback is that she might not always be available immediately, we might need to wait for her to return. I shouldn't worry about it - I can't foresee any desperate rush to get a ship in the future!
>>
>>46843060
Well one situation I was thinking of was getting a certain possible fugitive reporter out of the city if the worst case comes up.

But you know, you telling me I shouldn't worry with that little exclamation point totally eases my fears!
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.