[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do half-elves live long enough to become master wizards, or do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: hM8e0J7.gif (797 KB, 844x475) Image search: [Google]
hM8e0J7.gif
797 KB, 844x475
Do half-elves live long enough to become master wizards, or do you need real elf hours to become the best at spells?
>>
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>46832718
Boring old FR.
>>
>>46832698
Only elves actually take that long to master anything. They say they're better than humans but the numbers say otherwise. Half-elves, of course, get their Mary from their human side and the Sue from the Elf side so they can do whatever the fuck they want apparently
>>
>>46832698

I think that most high-tier mages in D&D settings actually are (or were) humans.
>>
It's not that half-elves don't live long enough, it's that elvish parents don't demand their half-elf children study the arcane the way they do of their "real" children.
>>
>>46832698
They live just long enough to begin to understand true power, only to have fate rip it from their hands.
>>
>>46832739
Then its all about INT aka how good you are at memorizing multiple pages of text since its Vancian casting.

In fact, with a vancian magic system the most autistic person would probably be the best spellcaster.
>>
>>46833172
That depends on the Edition. The most powerful non-deity spellcaster to date in the Realms is oddly enough not Elminster but Larloch who was/is a Netherese Wizard turned Lich.
>>
>>46832698
Humans live 70 years, give or take. Half-Elves live about 200. Full on elves, anywhere from 850-1100 years.

Give all three of them a couple thousand xp per year of age, and see where you get.
>>
File: Something like that.png (363 KB, 771x826) Image search: [Google]
Something like that.png
363 KB, 771x826
>>46832698
>Playing a setting where magic can't artificially extend your life span
>Playing a setting where the best wizards aren't humans because elves are a bunch of conservative clunges.
>Playing a disgusting mongrel half-breed
>Playing a disgusting mongrel half breed that has aspirations of greatness and isn't just grateful their position as a slave is better than having been killed at birth anyway.
>Playing a coward wizzerd instead of glorious melee swordsman melee master race
>No appreciating that the art of the sword is an actual ART unlike needy insecure magic that constantly tries to convince itself it's a legitimate form of media because for some reason this matters to the basement-dwelling grognards who devote their lives to it while hiding from the real world.

Somewhere along the way I think I forgot what my point was or what I was parodying.
>>
>>46832698
Well, the longer you go as a virgin the stronger your magic gets, so while a human would just be getting powerful in his or her old age and an elf would be near godlike at the end of their's, a half elf would at least be powerful enough to call themselves a master.
>>
>>46833283
>the world has fallen to the demonic machinations of the dread sorcerer Chris Chan
>are you a bad enough 'sperger to save the president?
>>
File: autism.gif (512 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
512 KB, 480x270
>>46833567
I want to play this so bad
>>
>>46832698
It depends on how talented you are. If you suck at it it won't matter if you are immortal while somebody can just be born good enough to basically become a wizard god before hitting puberty.
>>
>>46834747
Actually wizards in most system aren't really about talent (besides intelligence), but more about rigorious studying. What you're thinking about is called sorcerer in D&D.
>>
>>46833283
>>46682647
>>
>>46835922
>in my settings
Ftfy
>>
>>46832698
>>46832739
Yes, half-elves can, but Vancian magic is the very worst part of D&D.
>>
>>46832698
>or do you need real elf hours to become the best at spells?
That's not going to gt you there with a brain like a rock.
>>
>my setting's Elves are hippie Druids
>Druids can heal people and fertilize crops
>Half-Elves can become Druids
>90% of the time, they're going to become Druids
The only people who can afford Wizard College are nobles, anyway.
>>
>>46832698
I don't know much about realms, but wasn't Elminster a master wizard within a human lifespan?
>>
>>46832698
Most half-elf wizards in my setting usually wind up like your pic.

Sexually frustrated and utterly insane.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.