[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /tg/ feel about pirate campaigns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: dmw-pirate-3.jpg (58 KB, 540x297) Image search: [Google]
dmw-pirate-3.jpg
58 KB, 540x297
How does /tg/ feel about pirate campaigns
>>
File: TRASH.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
TRASH.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>>46826964
>>
>>46826964
I think you should pay for your campains instead of illegally downloading them off the internet
>>
>>46826964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HICfXbFBM
>>
>>46826964
Yarhar fiddle-de-dee, etc.
>>
File: 1433303337393.jpg (45 KB, 640x893) Image search: [Google]
1433303337393.jpg
45 KB, 640x893
>>46826964
There are other kinds of campaigns?

In seriousness, they work fine, but generally speaking the campaign should have more to it than "pirates after money."

Note, for example, that none of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are driven by any character's simple desire to be wealthy.
>>
File: landing.jpg (207 KB, 1356x589) Image search: [Google]
landing.jpg
207 KB, 1356x589
>>46826964
I'm enjoying mine for the reason >>46827425 points out, we're searching for treasure, but the crew all have personal goals that are not money related.
>>
>>46826964

Works just like any other game. Give the party a good reason to stick together beyond the loot, and you're golden.
>>
>>46826964
Love 'em. Pirates are great because even though their motivations are often uncomplicated, you never know when they're going to stab you in the back. It makes for great roleplaying when the players have to distrust each other.
Another great thing is the setting of a pirate ship on the high seas--it's basically inescapable, and it's usually too enclosed for archers to just dashscum around so consequences matter a lot more. Try this: have your NPC on the ship be murdered in the middle of the night, causing the whole the crew to engage in a whodunnit type scenario--it's so fun to see the wild theories that the players come up with.
>>
>>46826964
>How does /tg/ feel about pirate campaigns

I've not taken part in one. So I don't know, but I am interested.
>>
Only acceptable if everyone uses airships.
>>
>>46826964
I have an idea to run a no-magic pirate/western campaign.
The coast is covered in thick jungle and privateer hideouts. Deeper inland is the desert, ruled only by the law of the gun. The harshness of the region has rejected all but the hardiest attempts to establish civilization. As a result, it is the perfect place of scoundrels of all sorts to escape justice.

It'll be like a post-industrial Age of Exploration.
>>
>>46827487
Personally if I were doing a pirate game I'd probably riff the actual Golden Age of Caribbean Piracy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Piracy#The_post-Spanish-Succession_period
>>
>>46827487
I will admit, being the only one who knows anything about boats IRL does hamstring things.
>>
File: 1459981813375.gif (5 MB, 320x139) Image search: [Google]
1459981813375.gif
5 MB, 320x139
>>46826988
>>
>>46826964
Rarely done well, but that's true for campaigns in general.
>>
>>46826964
I'm currently running a slightly steampunk-ish pirate game set on earth, circa 1717.

At least, I set it up to be a pirate game. The players seem more interested in smuggling and fighting 'the man' than actually doing thieving and piracy; but hey, I'm happy to accommodate them. Game is going really well so far.
>>
I want to run one but my group play 5e and AFAIK D&D has never had a good naval combat system.

Is there any that /tg/ would recommend for importing?
>>
I'm trying to get one going if my crew would get their heads out of their asses
>>
>>46828085
pathfinder has a nice one
>>
File: dean 70.png (146 KB, 324x328) Image search: [Google]
dean 70.png
146 KB, 324x328
>>46826964
wish I finished mine
>>
>>46828596
how many deans do you have
>>
File: yVdNm6.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
yVdNm6.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>46828596
>>46828803
And more importantly, can you share them?
>>
>>46826964
They can be fun.

Like all campaigns where the characters are playing villains (or at least criminals) you need to make sure that everyone agrees on the general themes of the game. If some people wanted to play "good guy pirates" who rarely kill victims and possibly only prey on corrupt governments and other criminals while other players want to play RAPE-PILLAGE-BURN pirates who sell slaves and rape children then you get party conflict which often ruins the game or at least spoils the experience for the players.

But like >>46827562 and >>46827425 said it is a good idea to have some other objective as well rather than merely "lets get some BOOTY and then spend it on ale and whores" or the game might lose direction.

Perhaps the players are former navy crew who either mutinied or simply were branded as pirates falsely and want to avenge their treatment but are forced to piracy to survive while planning revenge.

Perhaps they are on a quest for a legendary treasure or the title of pirate king.

Or maybe like in "Pirates of Drinax" campaign they are privateers trying to return a fallen kingdom to glory.
>>
File: dean4.jpg (21 KB, 415x329) Image search: [Google]
dean4.jpg
21 KB, 415x329
>>46828803
>>46828828
I actually don't have 70 deans.

But here are my deans:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzzI7eNfSPUrNGxsc2FPbFZLSkU
>>
File: oh my god yes.jpg (23 KB, 422x362) Image search: [Google]
oh my god yes.jpg
23 KB, 422x362
>>46829274
>storytiem still browses
what have you been up to??
>>
>>46829274
THANKS FOR THE DEANS
>>
>>46828569
How easy would it be to adapt that to 5th edition? I homebrewed a "splatbook" of nautical-stuff, but didn't do ship combat rules (it's about 75% a bestiary, and the reast is some aquatic races, sea-themed class variants and some gear and spells) since I wasn't really sure what to use as a base and coming up with the them from scratch would've been quite difficult. However, it does sound like something I should do, so if the rules are somewhat compatible, I can try to do that and add it in.
>>
>>46826964

They're either the best damned time you'll ever have at the table, or they are absolute fucking messes and are utter unenjoyable.

There isn't a lot of middle ground with piracy - your players are either all in for being unhinged and ridiculous all the time, and the game becomes aggressively silly and a lot of fun. Or they aren't, and it's underwhelming and dull and it comes out sounding like somebody watched a daytime TV re-run of Pirates of the Caribbean and decided it'd make a cool campaign sort of.
>>
>>46830102
I don't know much about 5e. Most of the pirate stuff is seperate, naval battle guide
>>
>>46827425
>none of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are driven by any character's simple desire to be wealthy.
A case could be made that the first one is driven by the consequences of a character's desire to be wealthy. A stronger case could be made that the later movies are driven by the actors/producers/etc desire to be wealthy.
>>
>>46830636
Reading through the advanced naval battle rules on the Pathfinder SRD page, I think I could adapt at least some of those rules. Ships having a facing (you can't make a ship reverse, or do a 180-turn on the spot, after all), and having to use an action and make a check to turn the ship 90 degrees or do other manouvers more complex than going forward-ish makes sense and shouldn't be hard to implement, and adding rules for attacking the ship's sails to prevent it from moving or grapping it (with grappling hooks, not with your barbarian jumping on top of it and rolling to grapple) to launch boaring actions also seem cool.

Also, for some reaosn, unless I missed something, the ship statistics in the DMG don't list the sizes, which is strange because they do have hit points, and size category generally has an effect on attacking things (some other vehicles, like the Apparatus of Kwalish, do have a listed size category in addition to hitpoints and AC). I should probably add ones.

One big issue is that ship speeds are only listed in miles/hour, and in combat you'd instead need speed per round. I quess I'll have to convert the speeds to rounds (1 round is 6 seconds, right? so 1 mile per 60 minutes is equal to 0.01 miles per round, which is roughly 53 feet. Can probably round it down to 50 for a nice, round number).

I'll probably get to work on it once I get home later tonight, and stick the rules as an appendix on my homebrew (I can post them here independently if you don't want 20 pages of stats for random sea creatures).
>>
>>46830866
look at the actual splat book for Skulls and Shackles and it has speed/ round etc
>>
>>46827690

Ok Vaan.
>>
>>46830866

>not getting a Mermaid Sabin to suplex the enemy ships.
>>
are barbarian sea-reavers technically pirates?
>>
>>46831136
>Sabin

Alex Shelley was the superior MCMG.
>>
I'd love a One Piece game that obeys flashback rules.
>>
>>46829331
I never left. I'm here forever. Always lurking.
>>
File: Skull_Face.png (243 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
Skull_Face.png
243 KB, 580x326
I patterned my pirate campaign after MGS V.

Last thing they're gonna fight is a zwarth powered by the corpse of a child as a result of the experiments of Not-Dutch

haha SPELLJAMMER
>>
Brings back annoyed memories.
>>
>>46831147
Yes.
>>
>>46826964
Inherently pointless because any time you actually get anything done other than make money you're no longer pirates, you're adventurers.

Its like playing Mount and Blade on 10x speed, because at least in MnB it takes a ton of time to do anything. In a pirate game you just pick your marks carefully, and eventually you have more money than god. The only way to slow that down is to be realistic and have players loiter for weeks waiting for a merchant ship, but thats skullnumbingly boring.
>>
>>46833280
>Spelljammer

Magical cosmic pirates?
>>
File: Naval Combat.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Naval Combat.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46830866
Done-ish. It's kind of a mess, admittedly, since I didn't want to add a huge amount of completely new mechanics and wording of some thing was pretty hard.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.