[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1415895148146.jpg (66 KB, 417x599) Image search: [Google]
1415895148146.jpg
66 KB, 417x599
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous: >>46807785 (Archived)

Surprised there wasn't a thread up.

To start us off let's share some great encounters and why they were so fantastic.
>>
Official 9gag approved meme tier list list:

Hilarious, always funny, bring these up as much as possible tier
>glaives/halberds/pikes/polearms/tridents
>4 suits of plate armor
>fudging rolls
>non dms shouldn't criticize DMs
>non dms giving bad advice to DMs
>bags of rats
>mage hand dropping bags of daggers
>bladelocks
>Martials are uninteresting (true, but a meme)
>dragonborn are a meme race
>dragonborn are a meme race is a meme meme
>gnome hatred
>calling people you disagree with Virt

Crappy unfunny junk tier:
>calling warlock players edgy
>>
>>46823289
You forgot one:
> accusing anon of needing to get a life when called out on your shit-tier rules lawyering
>>
>>46823289
Virt's figured out how to ruin our threads even harder.
>>
>>46823289
nice memes
>>
If mage hand can't drop bags of daggers, can unseen servant?
Can a PC who is under the Invisibility spell drop a bag of daggers onto a target without losing invisibility? Technically, he should be able to if he's allowed to drop things.
>"oooh, you dropped your shield. that's an attack; you lose invisibility"
>>
>dragonborn are a meme race
But it's true.....
>>
>>46823289
I miss cone of cold horse
>>
>>46823709
I'm not familiar. Is that casting cone of cold and find steed?
>>
>>46823654
Just go full Lawyer and decide based on intent
>>
>>46823734
When you cast a spell that targets you and you're mounted on a steed from find steed, it effects it too. Cone of cold has the target self, so people said it would cast it too
>>
File: Bardic_Ultrahorse[1].png (975 KB, 1239x2971) Image search: [Google]
Bardic_Ultrahorse[1].png
975 KB, 1239x2971
>>46823734
>>46823892
>>
>>46823892
That's what I figured. It doesn't seem too bad. Kind of silly that cone of cold targets the self, but there you go.

As an experiment, what would the most memetastic character be?

Dragonborn Paladin/Pact of the Blade Fiend lock?

He can spend his turns shifting his pact weapon between glaives/halberds/pikes, while using bonus actions to mage hand bags of daggers and bags of rats?
>>
>>46823947
Why does he need to be a Paladin again?
>>
>>46823289
You know what's a fun topic to bring up?
If you have 30 foot movement speed and use the jump spell to have a jump distance of 60, do you end your turn in midair if you try to jump 60 feet in combat?
>>
>>46823997
Find steed, needs to have a martial class in there,
>>
>>46824018
If there's not an official ruling on this, I would say yes. And at the very beginning of your next turn, you plummet.
>>
>>46823638

he's been busy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqd8NBKqTc

>>46823920

I love how someone spent time figuring out this garbage just to cheat at a roleplaying game. Kinda sad how butthurt 3.5 fags are.
>>
>>46824045
Your jump distance is limited by your movement. It's a form of movement--like flying or climbing, each foot traveled costs a foot of movement. If you don't have the movement to move the full limit, you go as far as you can.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/ (ignore Mearls)
>>
>>46824109
>(ignore Mearls)
if only more people did this
>>
I'm trying to create a gang of outcasts as villains for my campaign. What would be some good outcast races? I already have drow and kenku.
>>
>>46824018
I think its covered in a general rule that you fall, but I'm on my phone
>>
>>46824205
Kuo-Toa, rogue modrons
>>
>>46824205
Gnoll, Lizardfolk, Kobold
>>
File: underworld.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
underworld.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw you want to play a high stakes gambling fiend warlock
>spells refluffed as throwing magic imbued playing cards
>settles everything with gambles, originally won powers in a game of dice/cards with a devil
>continuously takes new bets with devil to gain new powers
>forever dm
you cannot kill me, for i have been dead for a many year
>>
Okay I've gone too long without asking, wtf is up with the 4 suits of plate armor?
>>
>>46824205
Kender.
>>
>>46824332
Nigger. Please.
>>
>>46824205
Why make it complicated? Goblins
>>
>>46824332
It's a shit interpretation of something in Death House, the intro adventure to Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>46824358
>shit
more like legit
>>
>>46824364
leshit.

If the GM interprets it that way then fine, otherwise players that read the adventure and whine about it? Too bad, you're a whiny baby if you expect to get plate for less than 5x it's cost in Barovia! Suck it!
>>
>>46824358
What is it interpreting?
>>
>>46824443
4 sets of plate armor with no notable blemishes of any kind
>>
>>46823065
The 5e wild mage can be teleported into the Astral plane for a bit. I set up an encounter where he came up on a gith warship raiding another vessel and got to fight a round as an astral spelljammer pirate. He got a sweet repeating crossbow out of it and was super happy. He was low int so he went around telling people he got it from aliens.
>>
>>46824443
>>46824498
This, when it describes some suits of armor lining a hallway. It's more reasonable to assume it's display armor of 0 value, but some insist that it CLEARLY means full plate that everyone can wear and doesn't instantly disintegrate like basically everything else does.
>>
>>46824498
Where are they at? They are interpreting that to mean they can't be damaged?
>>
>>46824552
They are interpreting it to mean they are wearable plate armor in the first place instead of just display armor, that anyone can wear it without being refitted, that it won't just rust to uselessness on being taken out, and that any GM would hand out 4 suits of plate armor to a level 1 party.
>>
The thing I find most amusing about the four sets of plate mail is that, if you're using point buy (which you should be), it's impossible to start with the 18 Str necessary to wear the damn things.
>>
>>46825152
It's 15.
>>
File: read the book.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
read the book.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>46825152
>it's impossible to start with the 18 Str necessary to wear the damn things.
The Strength requirement is only to avoid a movement penalty, and it's not 18 Str, it's 15, which is super-easy to start with.

It's also relatively easy to start with 18 Str anyway, since 4d6 drop 1 is the default stat generation method.
>>
>>46825227
>rolling
>>
File: 1366949253551.png (225 KB, 451x473) Image search: [Google]
1366949253551.png
225 KB, 451x473
What ever happened to the dropbox folder that had a compilation of homebrew made by /tg/?
>>
Yo, what are some good maneuvers for Battlemaster? What's the tier rankings for them?
>>
>>46825787
I'd be interested in what /tg/ thinks about each maneuver.
>>
>>46825787
Menacing, push, trip, and precision are all pretty great.
Parry is decent if you've got nothing else to do with your reaction.
>>
>no cunning action to spread caltrops/ball bearings

????
>>
>>46826426
That's what Fast Hands is for.
>>
File: unspecified.jpg (446 KB, 1600x1028) Image search: [Google]
unspecified.jpg
446 KB, 1600x1028
Why aren't you watching Critical Role?
>>
>>46826426

Thief, Fast Hands.
>>
>>46826480

I tried. I found it really, really boring.

I mean, I can watch other people play video games and be entertained, but trying to watch other people play D&D just did not work for me. Which I think is unfortunate.
>>
>>46824065
>he's been busy

Would you believe the guy has a tumblr? Well, I mean, obviously he does, but specifically it's a tumblr about how /tg/ is shit?

http://virtualoptim.tumblr.com/

He's like some kind of creepy stalker, the kind that hates a thing so much that he obsesses over it.

I wonder if this post will make it onto his little personal shrine of hate...
>>
>>46826482
Ah, my bad. And for Arcane Trickster, the mage hand legerdemain can do it.
>>
>>46826480
Dnd is way too slow to not play yourself.
>>
Is there a character builder for 5E yet, I've not been following that much as I've been running a FFG star wars game for about a year now and that's it.
>>
Are there any items that activate on a time-release that would cause direct damage to a target if picked into their pocket? For example
>pull grenade pin
>put grenade in passerby's purse
>run

Except something that exists by RAW in 5e
>>
>>46826821
There's orcpub: http://www.orcpub.com/dungeons-and-dragons/5th-edition/character/generator?

Also this attrocity: http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

Honestly 5e characters are better made by hand, especially by newbies.
>>
>>46826835
RAW? No.
>>
>>46826835
Hand a guy a folded-up note with a glyph of warding on it.
>>
>>46826846
Orcpub seems fine but thi

"The sources for the options here are from the 5e SRD, the Basic Rules, and The EE Player's Companion, the only freely available official sources I am aware of, not the Player's Handbook."

Am I reading that right that options from the PH are just not in there?

I ask because my group loves playing role playing games but would shit their pants at the idea of having to make a character by hand, no matter how easy. It would immediately scare them off.
>>
>>46826516
i watched for about 7-8 episodes then missed a couple and came back. I couldn't pay attention at all because I was bored out of my mind.

Just recently I spent some time catching up on what I had missed (my buddy kept raving about it) and filled in some blanks, and now I'm really into it again. I think just knowing what's going on plays a big part in how much I give a shit. Now I feel invested and want to find out what happens.

that said, I'm usually doing other shit while I listen. I couldn't sit still and just watch for 4 hours.
>>
>>46826516
I always try to find good DnD actual plays but to this day the Acquisitions Inc ones are the only ones that entertain because Chris Perkins knows how to move a game along.
>>
>>46826950
>Am I reading that right that options from the PH are just not in there?

Yes. Only what was listed was included. So, for example, dark elves aren't included.
>>
>>46826992
Interesting, I started making one myself but then I got a much better and more trying job so I've not had time, maybe I'll finish it.
>>
File: 1459794479377.jpg (160 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1459794479377.jpg
160 KB, 1024x708
My players went about completing a quest in a really cool, unexpected way and I want to give them a good reward in addition to what I was originally going to give them because of how much i liked the way they handled it.

What should I give them though? I don't want to give out magic items like candy, but I could give them something. Would a scroll that conjures two really beefy demons to fight with them when they're in a pickle be a shitty bonus reward since it's just a one-time thing?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>46827393
Get out of jail free cards are never that cool imo, especially if the party is still undergeared. But I do agree that throwing magic items around like candy makes them less special.

Depending on the quest, you could have them be awarded with just Mastercrafted Gear, or maybe be given lordship over a piece of land in the area (so they could have tax income in-game, and other cool shit)?
>>
>>46827393
The knowledge that they did something cool SHOULD be enough, but you can give them more XP for clever playing. Maybe something like favors from an NPC, a follower, or a blessing/charm from the DMG?
>>
>>46823920
This is mentally retarded.

For starters, it says a spell that targets ONLY you.

Cone of Cold doesn't target you. It's a blast of ice from your hands.

Are 3.5 manchildren THIS desperate to pull their bullshit?
>>
>>46827393
gonna need more info. whatever you give them should be story appropriate and not just a throwaway magic item bonus.
>>
File: Machinist - WIP.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Machinist - WIP.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hi again everybody, got the machinist 90-ish% finished.
Still missing:
>Fluff
>A few images
>A few extra recipes when I come up with them
>Balance

As always, C&C welcome and encouraged.
Also looking for ideas for more inventions!
>>
>>46823065
>blood hunter is caught sneaking through town past curfew by a concerned guard.
>blood hunter fails deceit check
>bribery doesn't work, either
>runs away, climbs up on rooftop
>entire night shift soon shows up with pikes and ladders
>blood hunter uses Haunted One background feature to find asylum in the bed of a young woman brushing her hair before bed by a nearby window.
>passes persuasion roll and gets in bed with maiden
>fails constitution roll, premature ejaculation
>outside the Sorcerer casts illusion to distract guards who chase after a pantless fake of the Blood Hunter
>Party finally gets back to the business at hand

This happened in the town Vallaki in CoS. The Blood Hunter went on to convince the populace that the alleged pantsless rapist was his evil twin. I have a love/hate relationship with my party.
>>
>>46827703
>fails constitution roll, premature ejaculation
Fuck off.
>>
>>46827591
The beefy demons mentioned before we supposed to be removed from an area. They could have simply killed the demons, although it would have been a tough fight, then collected the reward from questgiver.

Instead, they went to a different city to seek the person the demons were after, crawled a dungeon that was actually prepared for a different sidequest, then brought person back to the demons, who take the insolent mortal to the Afterworld to be judged by Kind Enma.

Anyway, these demons are who are giving the bonus reward ideally. They were just getting rid of the demons for cash from a landlord-ish character.
>>
>>46827703
>allowing homebrew in your game
Well, I found your first problem
>>
>>46827752
If he's going to do stupud shit make him roll for stupid shit.
>>
>>46827808
>not allowing good homebrew into your game
I too hate fun
>>
>>46823654
I'd allow the attack with disadvantage, with a success breaking invisibility.
>>
>>46823065
>To start us off let's share some great encounters and why they were so fantastic.

My 8th-level character slew a CR 13 dragon, essentially by herself. It was fantastic because typically 8th level characters don't even fight CR 13 creatures with the rest of their party, let alone solo.

Hang on, this was a few threads back...ah, here we go.

https://desustorage.org/tg/thread/46604740/#46608818

Oh, and to answer something left unanswered...

>I bet that you didn't do your Constitution saving throws vs extreme cold when under the ice water

Only had to make one (and technically I shouldn't have even needed to make that yet, you make your first check after X amount of time has passed, not as soon as you hit the water. But I didn't point this out to the DM and managed to pass the DC 10 Constitution check). You only have to make them once per minute as per DMG's rules, and Iliira wasn't underwater for that long.
>>
>>46826981
I love AI, but at this point i'm 80% sure it's discussed the general plot arcs of each encounter with the players.

Unrelated question:
Are Perkins and Kurtz gay?
>>
>>46824205
Humans, duh. Why use gimmick races as a crutch? Make some real fucking characters that aren't just an extension of racial stereotypes?
>>
>>46827973
Perkins is. I don't think Kurtz is.
>>
>>46827703
My party agrees that Blood Hunter is a solid class and a good for the setting. We have fun.
>>
>>46827832
Pretty much. We're not above stupid shit for the sake of humor
>>
>>46827804
Look into the DMG. Past the magic item section is a section of boons. King Enma or the demons could bless the party with a boon for their services. Probably one the more minor boons if they are still low level.
>>
>>46827973
I thought Kurtz has a wife and a kid?

I know the guys who do Penny Arcade are married and have kids.
>>
>>46827973
What?! So my odds of banging Chris Perkins just got less slim...
>>
>the only way to solve any problem is with violence
>all NPCs are assholes who 9/10 betray us
>any attempt to talk to enemies fails
>us players now just screw around and murder everything

DM recently said he was concerned about our "murder-hoboing" and that he'd need to punish us for it. Get fucked. Just hurry this campaign up so we can get back to the better DM
>>
>>46828201
This sort of behaviour is like vegemite.
Good in small doses, but don't lay it on too thick or people will get salty
>>
>>46827878
It's no different than activating a trap
>>
>>46828755
Firing a crossbow would be closer to activating a trap than the magehand-bag-of-dicks trick.
>>
>>46828755
If someone were to pull a lever that activated a mechanism to fire poisoned darts at you and say "I'm not attacking you!," would you believe them?
>>
>>46827546
Even ignoring that, the spell's point of origin is still "caster and horse." This does not mean that a new spell is cast out of nowhere, just that the horse is included in the point of origin of the original casting. Not that you can convince anyone who is dumb enough to think it works in the first place of this.
>>
>>46829052
Pulling a lever that activates a mechanism is not making an attack. It's using an object.
>>
File: Death Knight.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Death Knight.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Not sure if the anon who mentioned wanting to play a class like the deathknight from Warcraft is still around, but I finished writing the Deth Knoob class. Probably needs som rebalancing, since some of the abilities are rather strong.

Pretty much everything is named after the class abilities, although admittably a lot of them don't really share anything with the original ability but the name, or are based ona different ability but took a name that I thought fit better/sounded cooler.
>>
>>46823065

>fantastic encounters

Had a player (playing a Goliath) challenge a troll to a drinking contest last session. I was so flabbergasted, I had to allow it. I mean, they find this troll in a brewhouse, and the original idea was that they'd throw the barrels of booze at the troll and light it on fire, but then the goliath player came up with that shit.

Despite the fact that the troll had a huge stat advantage, the goliath player rolled so good that he beat him easily.

After that, when the troll was passed out momentarily from all the booze, they cut a hole into his stomach and put a piece of twine in, and then lit it, running out before the troll blew up.

...I was very happy with my group that day.
>>
>>46829329
>610 HP at level one

Found your first problem.
>>
>>46829329
>610 hp
so much power...SO MUCH UNBRIDLED POTENTIAL
>>
File: Donkey Kong.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46829467
>>46829490
God damn it, I thought I spotted all the typos. It chould, of course, be 10 + Con modifier. Here, fixed it.
>>
>>46829295
That's still an attack. It's not "using the Attack action," but it's still attacking.
>>
>>46829692
Having that break invisibility would just be silly
>>
>>46829729
Says you.
>>
Anybody got a good Kenku PC homebrew?
>>
>>46829594
> Asphyxiate
Constitution saving throw against what? This class doesn't define a save DC anywhere.
> runic attenuation
Free magic weapon at level 10 might as well be nothing.

Overall I think this could benefit from another go-through. There's a couple of spell-like abilities that can be used without limit (no SoLR required) and the archetype features add new shit without extending core class features in a meaningful way.

And the Empowered Rune weapon bennies are weirdly balanced against eachother. Nobody's gonna take an extra d4/d6/d8 of commonly-resisted damage types when they could give casters disadvantage on concentration spells.
>>
>>46830002
> level 6: can cast animate dead
At what spell level?

I just animated 14 skellies, put my thumb in my ass for 30 minutes, and then animated 14 more. At level 6.
>>
>>46830047
Was for >>46829594. Apologies, anon.
>>
>>46830002
>Free magic weapon at level 10 might as well be nothing.
Tbh that was intented purely as a "ribbon" ability. It makes sense for the rune weapon to also be magic weapon, but considering you already get so much other stuff, I just put it on a high enough level where it wouldn't really make a difference and is purely there for fluff.
>>
>>46830002
>>46830047
Ok, how's this for changes?

>Raise Dead is cast as if you used a 3rd level spell slot (ie. you raise 1 zombies/skeleton per use).
>DC for most things is 10 + 1/2 your class level, with the exception being Asphyxiate and Scourge Strike, which are 10 + prof bonus (I felt the effects are powerf enough that the max DC can be lower).
>I'll probably just remove the spellbreaker rune unless I can come up with something. The game ability it's based on gives you a small chanse to reflect spells, but that wouldn't really work so I'd need some kind of anti-caster effect.
>Fallen Crusader lets you regain 2 runic power when you roll for initiative and have 0 left, instead of 4 (so you can still use some of the abilities, but not spam the more powerful ones that cost 3 rp).

Not really sure what, if anything I should do with the specialization features. They're designed to mimic the things each spec does in the game (Blood makes you more durable, Frost makes you hit harder, Unholy has debuffs and minion). I could adapt some of the abilities that let you regain runic power in combat or make you "Strike" attack (frost/death/plague strike in the game, but I've just rolled them up into Runic Strike) infect the target with a debuff, or heal you, but I feel those might be too good.

Also, unless I missed something, all the "spell-like ability style" features cost runic power, which regenerates on a short rest. except at level 20.
>>
>>46825670
Seconded. Anyone have the link?
>>
>>46826657
why does he have 21 videos of mass killing civilians in g mod
>>
>>46826942
>If you choose an object, that object must remain in its place; if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered.
>>
File: Death Knight.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Death Knight.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Redone Death Knigga.
Will probably make some more changes later, but I don't have time now, and I actually have another, more interesting (to me, at least) ideas I should work on, or rather add to something I've already done.
>>
>>46829594
>max 6 runic power
>regain 4 on init

kill urself fagget
>>
>>46831121
>weird DC calculation for Unholy Blight

for what purpose. I hate it and I hate you
>>
>>46831144
Yeah, dropped it to 2 for a reason, so you can still use runic strike twice, or one of the 2-cost abilities once in a battle.

I probably should change things so that you'd have some way to regain runic power but could only use it for runic strike, because I intend that to be your "bread and butter" ability (hence all the specs getting at least oen ability related to it), but just regaining runic power in general would let you spam the other abilities as well.
>>
>>46827393
http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php
>Barbed Weapon: After an attack roll, the bearer may add 1d4 to the damage roll. If so, the bearer takes 1d4 damage.
>Bloodthirsty Armor/Weapon: The bearer of this armor/weapon can expend a hit die to turn this armor/weapon into a +1 armor/weapon for 1d4 turns.
>Cruel Weapon: The bearer may re-roll damage from critical hits scored with this weapon and take the second result.
>Dark Weapon: The bearer may replace the damage type of this weapon with Necrotic, and its damage roll gains a +1 bonus.
>Grim Armor/Weapon/Trinket: The bearer gains a +1 bonus to Charisma (Intimidation) checks if this armor/weapon is visible.
>Gruesome Weapon: This weapon has no sheath, but rather sinks into the flesh of the bearer to no ill effect. The bearer may spend an action to draw forth the weapon from their flesh, or to stow it away. A regular perception check cannot detect the presence of this weapon, although a detect magic spell will reveal it.
>Haunted Weapon: Smoke rises from this weapon when drawn in dim light or darker, revealing the apparitions that haunt it. They lash out at the target every time the bearer scores a hit, doing an additional +2 necrotic damage.
>Hellish Armor/Weapon/Trinket: When in the Nine Hells, the bearer has advantage on saving throws against Pervasive Evil.
>Reaper's Weapon: The bearer has advantage on death saving throws.
>Smouldering Weapon: The bearer may replace the damage type of this weapon with Fire and gain a +1 bonus to damage.
>Spiked Armor: Whenever a creature begins their turn grappling or being grappled by the bearer, they take 1d4 piercing damage.
>Vile Armor/Weapon: Treat this as a +1 armor/weapon at night when attuned to an evil aligned character.
>Violent Armor: The bearer may choose to treat the heavy metal gauntlets of this armor as a Mace.
>>
>>46829795
And also, the RAW
>>
One of my players wants to take the Waterdhavian Noble background from the SCAG. I told him I'd think about it.

It doesn't really mesh with the rest of the party, who are all chilling as regular jackoffs, and the player in question already has Main Character Syndrome. He's used to play-by-post forum RPs, so he's great on the fleshing out the character front, not so great on the cooperative party-based rpg front.

Anybody here had experience running groups where one PC was orders of magnitude more wealthy and important than the others? The obvious answer is to look at how Rogue Trader does it, but that's not really the dynamic the rest of the group want to go for.
>>
File: 1375587716607.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1375587716607.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
>>46831677
Just have one of the early sessions end with his house being disgraced and him now being fair game for a number of rival houses who regularly send assassins after him to prevent re-establishment of his house.

Make him being a noble have fucking gay downsides along with the upsides.
>>
>>46831677
What? The Whaterdhavian Noble is significantly worse than the regular PHB Noble. Why do you think that background is so broken?
>>
File: sad_keanu.jpg (33 KB, 307x409) Image search: [Google]
sad_keanu.jpg
33 KB, 307x409
>join tons of online games
>90% of them are total trainwrecks in every single way possible
>the good ones end after not too long thanks to RL getting in the way of the DM every time
>figure maybe I should DM then
>try weed the bad players out in the application process but maybe get 1 good player out of the 20 applications
>game finder threads are dead and nobody can play at the times that suit me (aussie with a job)

Fuck this shit. Why did my local group have to all move away man.
>>
File: Legion.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Legion.pdf
1 B, 486x500
A warlock path I worked on some time ago, decided to continue, is it shit? If it is, why?
>>
>>46831777
Doesn't seem unbalanced to me, but having every feature related to a single once a day transformation seems a little off. Take a que from the druid and make it twice a day.
>>
>>46831758
I don't think it's broken. I think it will cause issues with group cohesion if one guy is an important noble whose family is rich enough that he doesn't need money, and the rest of them are opportunistic peasantry.
>>
>>46824254
literally a huckster

Also, just make it a recurring villain. One of the bets can be for his soul... And he always wins; keeps on coming back to torment the party!
>>
>>46831841
>important noble

How important he is, is up to you. He could be from a fallen house, or far off lands, or only a minor title of little influence.

>whose family is rich enough that he doesn't need money,

He needs money, he just doesn't pay living expenses, which are trivial anyways. His family isn't shipping him platemail by post.
>>
>>46831923
He wants to be the second son of one of the masked lords of waterdeep
>>
>>46831763
Have you tried you local gaming store?

At the very least you're likely to find willing players.
>>
>>46831923
>>46831950
Even then, why would his family ship him any plate armor when everyone knows he can just get it free in ravenloft?
>>
>>46831950
I don't know what that means because I've never played in the Realms, but if your problem is with how influential he wants his family to be, and not with him being a noble in general, then you need to tell him that.
>>
>>46827642
>9 pages
Dam son
>>
>>46831960
Top kek

I'm more concerned with him dominating any rp scenarios with any npc of any importance. Which may make sense, but isn't great for the other four players who get to sit around and listen to Sir Nobleborn for hours.
>>
>>46831950
>>46831962
Right. Communicate with him that you think that level of influence is not appropriate for someone who is going to be spending the majority if their time playing with commoners. He can play a member of a noble house, but it has to be a minor one.
>>
>>46831958
I went there. Small town so there is only a handful of players. All were wacky lol randum obviously ex-3.5ers, including two furries, who had moved over to 5e for seemingly no reason as it obviously doesn't suit them. None of them know the rules in any way. One session was enough for me to nope the fuck out of there.
>>
How does death house know who its victims are?

Does it magically read their minds? Or is it purely a mundane visual/auditory type check?

I ask, because my party all chose mastermind rogue after leveling up, and want to disguise themselves to go in again.

I think they want to start robbing the death house blind.
>>
>>46832022
It's a cursed horror house, it's fueled by plot power.
>>
>>46831982
Ouch.

I guess I'm kinda lucky.
My shithole town at least has a (slightly) less shithold town nearby with a new store that's opened up.

Still have the usual assortment of fucknut snowflakes, munchkins, and superedgelords but the DM is a total bro.
>>
>>46832048
Besides, everything decays or is useless anyway.
>>
>>46832048
That also means there is inevitably a lower budget sequel where the same characters have to interact with it again. Usually with a new guy to replace anyone who died.

So what they need to do is recruit a new party member.
>>
>>46831763
>>46831982
aussie student here, what are you looking to do specifically? i might be able to fit some online play in

wouldn't mind playing something new anyway, my current campaign has been going for 5-6 months (we play 1-2 times a week, 6-8 hours at a time) but we're still level 6, and the DM's homebrew campaign that seemed cool at first has unraveled into an aimless mess of loose ends with too much filler. he also doesn't really challenge my character's strengthes, so i just end up doing the same 'optimal' thing in most fights because i can get away with it
>>
>>46831950
>He wants to be the second son of one of the masked lords of Waterdeep
He does know that the identities of the masked lords of Waterdeep are secret, right? And that their position is not hereditary? So it's not terribly OP if his daddy is a masked lord. He might get favors now and then, but unless he also happens to be of noble blood he can't act like a noble.
>>
>>46832073
How have you been playing so long and are still only lvl 6?

That's actually impressively bad
>>
>>46832116
yeah, it gets boring as hell sometimes, especially because most of the time the plot progression doesn't make up for the lack of character progression.

like i'd be okay with slow leveling if there were actually tonnes of cool developments going on in the world, but this DM brings up a quest, we follow that quest for one or two sessions, then he brings up two more quests, we follow one of those, and forget the original one. get what i mean?

he's not a bad DM overall, but pacing and hombrewing really aren't his best points. i think he'd be awesome at running an official adventure using milestone awards
>>
>>46832161
forgot to mention, we only just got our very first magic item two sessions ago. it's for our death cleric, a gift from his god, which every time it kills an enemy it sucks out and absorbs all their blood. this adds +4 to its damage rolls for each enemy slain (stacks up), which resets after a long rest (or dawn, i forget). the implication seems to be it sends their soul to his god or something

also FUCK we play with fumble rules and everyone but me seems to be happy with them. every time, every time you roll a 1, you hit yourself. luckily, i play a wizard doing mostly utility, buffs, and saving throw spells. our cleric has only just realised how retarded the fumble rule is because he realised after soaking up a bunch of mooks, a single 1 could down him
>>
>>46830171
Can't you just make any magic melee weapon a rune weapon? It doesn't say you can't in the level 1 feature.

It honestly sounded like the equivalent of Pact Weapon/Weapon Bond.
>>
>>46832161
>but this DM brings up a quest, we follow that quest for one or two sessions, then he brings up two more quests, we follow one of those, and forget the original one.
Sounds like it might be the party's fault for not finishing quests, if all the DM is doing is making new quests available before the old ones are completed.
>>
>>46823289
Is gnome hatred a meme?

I just gate manlets
>>
>>46831158
>>46831121
> Weird DC calculation
Seconded.
>>
>>46832161
Have you tried having your characters be proactive rather than reactive?

Get party goals. If you've been doing aimless quests by the dozens, you should have a decent stash of cash, right? It's about time your party had a base of operations. Do some investigation, find a mansion inhabited by an evil noble or a keep infested with goblins or an underground base crawling with undead and clear that shit out. Outfit it as your headquarters. Get retainers and staff. Advertise your services to local lords as independent troubleshooters for hire. You'll need money to cover the startup costs, so put some feelers out for potentially lucrative dungeons to delve or rewards to claim.

Give your DM a helping hand, man. D&D is a group effort.
>>
Can a character with the guild artisan background be famous?
I have a player who made it his backstory and acts surprised when not every single person in his profession in the realms knows who he is

How do I deal with this?
>>
>>46832283
Not terribly famous. I would actually assign an amount of fame (for most circumstances) based on your level. The higher level you are, the more well known you are, since you've been doing higher profile stuff.
>>
>>46832283
Talk to him. Let him know that there is no fantasy internet. People from his town will know him, if he's really good then people from the towns a days' travel around might have heard of him too. Beyond that, nada.
>>
>>46832283
What kind of artisan?
>>
>>46832264
i've tried man. i wanted us to actually commit to this one quest about a goblin king at some mountain to get what would have been our first magic item, but everyone else was like nah that sounds too big and too hard, let's just roam around doing more of this other little stuff, and when [DM's name] wants us to actually go there he'll drop us a hint or something

everyone seems to be having fun though, i guess i'm just out of my element
>>
>>46832283
I mean it's possible, but unless otherwise justified I find it hard to believe a level 1 character would be famous for anything.

There are lots of guild artisans in the world, and most of them probably haven't even heard of most of the others.
>>
>>46826657
Fuck, I actually agree with him in the AW vs DW post. DW is really bad compared to AW, because it's trying to be two really different things.
>>
>>46832315
Your party sounds like they're playing D&D like it's a fucking MMO.

You should kill them.

Does your DM know they're waiting for him to railroad them?
>>
>>46832258
I quess I'll have to give it a proper "casting stat", making the DC for the abilities be 8 + prof bonus + Cha modifier, or something. 10 + 1/2 class lever results in a roughly comparable DC (although at level 20 you get DC 20 instead of max 19), but does admittedly look weird.
>>
>>46832301
That's basically what I told him, but he seems convinced he can get away with shit like requesting audiences with the highest of royalty and whatnot

>>46832299
I might go that route, if he actually does something while in-game that warrants it though..

>>46832314
A shoemaker
>>
>>46832375
>shoemaker
>thinks he can request audiences with royalty
lol, what a jackass. That makes a great character flaw, but let him know that that will actually never fly. Usually, adventurers can't request an audience with any sort of royalty because, well, they're dirty, lowly scrubs who live each day by the sword and spell. They would have to do something to get in the royals favor to be able to request audiences like that.
>>
>>46832375
>a shoemaker
>audiences with the highest of royalty

What the fuck? On a scale of one to ten, exactly how autistic is he?
>>
>>46832355
well, i think two of them actually used to play WoW, and one of them is huge on PoE, so it's not surprising

by now, the DM has to know that we just mindlessly follow whatever carrot on a stick he waggles in front of us. problem is he has dozens of carrots and can't decide which one to waggle

i haven't really said anything because it's not really that bad (especially since we're all good friends so at the very least it's an excuse to hang around, talk, and have dinner), and because no-one else seems to mind so i don't want to spoil the fun
>>
>>46831958
I wish I had a local game store. I live in a secluded small town, and have to drive two towns over just to find many things that are commonplace in other towns. It makes it hard to find people who share my hobbies. At least I have the internet.
>>
>>46832411
Dude, just tell your DM that the other players prefer rails to sandboxes and will carry on searching for the rails every session. Never assume that anyone "just has to know by now". People are retarded.

It sounds like the DM is trying to run a sandbox, throwing out a dozen quest hooks and seeing which one/s the group latches on to, but the group is waiting for the rails to show them exactly where they should be going and what they should be doing. Clearing that mismatch up will make the game more fun for everyone.
>>
>>46832427
Well Roll20 is probably your best bet. It's rarely as good as even a cut rate group but it'll do..

Otherwise, have you considered moving?
>>
Is there a comprehensive list of archetypes for 5e?

I'm looking on the wiki right now to compile them all, but it's a mess. The new archetypes are scattered everywhere, in the PHB, the Sword Coast add on, blog posts.

Making a list of all of the new races was a pain too.
Any handy tools would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>46832479

Tabletop games is a good alternative to Roll20 in my opinion. Does cost $20 though.
>>
>>46832504
Look further up the thread. Every thread some anon posts his list of character options.
>>
>>46832504
Yeah. Right here:

>>46827462
>>
>>46832513

Tabletop Simulator that is.
>>
>>46832411
Your party sounds a perfect fit for published adventures and I dont mean it in a bad way at all.
>>
>>46832514
>>46832516

Thank you very much.
>>
>shit timezone
>barely no groups on roll20 and other gathering places
>everytime I dont check daily a thread pops up by a gm looking for players
>answer it a day after he posted it
>"sorry I already have 4 players and 3-1000 on reserve, I'll contact you if there's a slot open"
>>
So how's this for a pact boon?

Pact of the instrument
Gain a magical instrument of your choice, it can be used as an arcane focus for your warlock spells. While you are holding the instrument you can use a bonus action to cast the guidance,message, or vicious mockery cantrips

Devil's fingers (invocation)
Req. Lv12, pact of the fiddle
Whenever you cast a spell of 1st level of higher that uses a spell slot you make a performance check with a DC of 15 + the spell's level, on a success you regain the spell slot
>>
>>46832623
Should put a performance check requirement on the boon
>>
>>46832375
I agree with what has been said in regards to level 1 fame. But, you could make his master, or whoever he learned his craft from, actually known throughout the land. Then a situation could be "Oh I heard master X took an apprentice, blah blah." Now he's pseudo-famous.

Also this could lead to easy plot hooks: "your master needs you to find his missing shipment of shoes" or "oh no, the master is dead. Find out who did it."
>>
>>46832607
>be GM
>enjoy being GM
>get to swipe left on hundreds of players a day until I find an elite group
>laughing all the while
>I might even be shit (no complaints so far), but everybody is too afraid to leave my game and take their chances trying to find a new GM.
Life is good on my side m8.
>>
>>46832623
It's too similar to the Pact of the Tome, which gives you three cantrips from any spell list.

The invocation you proposed is crazy powerful. The warlock will probably be making those checks left and right, and never run out of spell slots.

Try to make the boon not give cantrips. Give it something else, to differentiate it from pacts already in the book. Forget about giving spell slots back.
>>
>>46832623
>1 level in rogue for expertise
>You now have a 75% chance to not use a spell slot
>>
>>46831080
'Cause he's really sick.

>>46832343
Agreeing with Virt on any one thing isn't necessarily bad. But if all his arguments start making sense, then you need to stop a moment and seriously rethink your life choices.
>>
If Rangers are shit what is your best option to play a ranged class ?
>>
>>46833192
Fighter
>>
>>46833192
Warlock. You can't beat eldritch blast for ranged damage.
>>
>>46833192
Rogue

Boom. Headshot.

BADADA-DA-DADAAAA!
>>
>>46833235
I'm not a crazed bowman dad, I'm an assassin...

Well the difference being one is a job and the other's a bad roll in the long-term madness table!
>>
>>46833192
Hunter Rangers are perfectly fine. They just aren't
'sharpshooter 9 times on one turn with a crossbow for 150+ damage while using all your battlemaster dice to push the target 135 feet away from you' good
>>
>>46833312
>Hunter Rangers are perfectly fine.

Until level 11.
>>
>>46833192
Rogue or fighter.
>>
>>46833561
Yeah, it's weird how rangers' damage just stops scaling after a certain point. Maybe if Hunter's Mark had scaling damage similar to Divine Smite. Comparing rangers and paladins really show that rangers are unfinished.
>>
>>46833312
Rangers are garbage because their class is designed to be good at things 99% of DMs handwave or don't include.

If your DM strictly tracks overland travel speed, food and water, etc, or you're playing a LotR style hexcrawl "chase the Orcs that kidnapped the hobbits" campaign, then Rangers can shine.
>>
>>46833597
I think the trouble is that their level 11 features are good, but they're an alternative to the better attacks that Fighters and Paladins get rather than an addition to them. So they're less consistent.
>>
>>46832623
For what purpose?

>bard-lock
>free cantrips
>free spell slots

What is your fucking theme, here?

Maybe I'm biased because I hate Bards, but you've not got a solid fluff niche or a solid mechanical niche.
>>
>>46833611
True since 1E
>>
>tfw you're just going to give Mark and Quiver to an Ancient's Paladin if someone really insists on going Ranger
>>
How do you guys do jumping rules? My DM seems to just ignore the whole strength thing and just make us roll athletics for any jump, 5 feet or 20 feet
>>
>>46833611
It seems like they wanted to make them a martial option for controlling large numbers of weak enemies. The old Legolas taking out swarms of goblins.

I think Ambuscade was a tentative step in the right direction with some botched ideas. Rangers should be ambush (avoiding or enacting) and survival specialists. No sneak attacking or anything like that, but good at making sure a fight starts in your favour, and tough enough to see one through.

Actually an ability to shuffle initiative around at the start of a fight could be a neat idea, I don't think there's much (if anything) which can do that.
>>
>>46833611
>Rangers are garbage because their class is designed to be good at things 99% of DMs handwave or don't include.

martial utility features (outside of skills) are poor in general. the ranger has it bad, but some of the rogue subclass features are truly awful. but the ranger suffers more because they are core features inherent to the class rather than subclasses, so the subclasses need to make up for it, which they don't.
>>
>>46833892
what rogue subclass features are truly horrible?
>>
The problem with rangers is they got pushed to half casters when they shouldn't have been.

Paladins and Rangers were 1/3 casters in 3.5 -martials with a dash of clericy feel and druidy feel, respectively.

Paladins fluff-wise survive the transition to half-casters - before they were slightly blessed crusader types, but now the ones people think of are much more magical - thank vidya.

Rangers though were originally slightly based on Aragorn, and then expanded on that basic wilderness hunter/trapper type. But fluff-wise, they've always just barely been magical, even in vidya. Hell, WOW hunters now don't even use mana. So the transition to half-caster doesn't feel right and they fucked it up.

I get that it's an iconic class, but honestly it would be better served by finagling the two new fighter and rogue subtypes from this month's unearthed arcana. Add some of the hunter combat maneuvers into the Monster Hunter die moves. Give advantage on insight checks against favored enemies. Stuff like that.

Then remake the half-druid half-martial as a shaman or something.
>>
>>46833913
Second-Story Work
Infiltration Expertise
Impostor
Thieves’ Cant
Master of Intrigue
Insightful Manipulator
Soul of Deceit
>>
>>46833955
That's not really the problem and the 3.5 Ranger was also incredibly shit and situational unless your party acually needed a dedicated tracker with a grudge on the particular creature you were tracking.

The problem, already true in 3.5, is that "Wilderness Warrior" is already taken up in 3rd edition by Barbarian.

It's just that 3e accomodated itself well with 5 million classes with overlapping niches.
>>
>>46833955
You know if there was one place I thought Superiority die should've been copied to, it'd have been the Ranger.
That they made Monster Hunter a fighter subclass just boggles my mind.
>>
People who play Rangers at this point are special snowflakes or their clinging to the 2e version

Just play a Fighter ffs
>>
>>46833992
All of the mastermind features are top notch though, and really useful. Maybe not in combat, but combat is only a third of the experience.
>>
>>46824205
Demonspawn, heh. Start with stats of human and appearance of a creepy human, mutate randomly with spooky eeeevil stuff like acid spit, horns, unnatural strength, scales, aura of fear etc. every 3rd level
>>
>>46833993

Barbarian has some wilderness fluff, but it doesn't really cover the ranger design space.

Barbarian is the tribal strong-huge angry naked guy.

Ranger is the dextrous lone wolf survivorman.
>>
>>46834048
>Help as a Bonus Action
>From 30ft

It's an amazing ability in combat. I'd take the subclass just for that alone.
>>
What would you rule katars as for a monk? I'm thinking shortswords.
>>
>>46834122
Yeah, shortsword.
>>
>>46827642
Very nice Machinist-dude. Throw in a few fluff paragraphs and some generic recipes so people get the rules a bit more
>>
>>46834122
Punchy, piecey shortsword. Punches gotta be slower with a piece of metal strapped in here...
>>
>>46834028
But Hunter's Mark.

Honestly Hunter is mostly solid and I generally do tell parties to roll either a Ranger or an Outlander, because I do care about this stuff when it's likely they'll be out on their ass in some places.

But my games are more witcher-always-on-the-verge-of-being-broke-and-out-of-vodka
>>
>>46834258
Paladins can have hunter's mark.
>>
>>46834122
Dagger. I'd probably let the Monk apply his Martial Arts damage to the weapon, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar_%28dagger%29
>>
>>46834258
Hunter's Mark should have been the Ranger's 1st level non-ribbon class feature.
>>
>>46834318

Add Hunter's mark as another die move for Monster Hunter.
>>
>>46834277
A katar would be a monk weapon, he can apply martial arts to a shortsword anyway.
>>
>>46834318
I agree, sort of.

I know people consider it an exploit, but having the archery spells be a thing allowed Arcane Archer to be a thing, even though it's an exploit of Bard's special powers.

But yeah, Hunter's Mark should have been, and Swift Quiver should debatably have been Hunter's Action surge.
>>
>>46834371
Yeah, it probably would be a monk weapon. And since he can apply Martial Arts to shortsword, I don't see a point in using a katar. All it would do is made your unarmed strikes deal piercing damage.

Since it's a monk weapon, though, the damage die is irrelevant. The only reason you would even use a monk weapon is for the cool factor.
>>
>>46834419
>The only reason you would even use a monk weapon is for the cool factor.
Plenty reason, I say.
>>
>>46834419
Yeah, that's the point, it's just for cool/fluff.
That's how Monk Weapons work. You take the short sword stats and you say "This is a katar". But in all game terms it's a short sword.
>>
>>46834430
Yeah, totally.

>>46834444
I don't think it would have shortsword stats, though. At worst, all it would do is change your unarmed strike's damage from bludgeoning to piercing, and at best, it would be a dagger without the thrown property.
>>
>>46833992
>Second-Story Work

Bullshit, Second-Story Work has been one of my most consistently useful and used class features ever since I got it. 5 extra feet of jumping distance is so-so, but the ability to climb at full speed is amazing, particularly when combined with the ability to Dash as a bonus action.

Climbing 90 feet in a round is the best.
>>
>>46833913
imposter and infiltration expertise are particularly bad. they are way too situational in the first place, they take far too long to use, they have stupid limitations on top of that (like you can't establish an identity that belongs to someone else, which also prevents any synergy between the two), and imposter seems especially pathetic by time you get it at level 13 considering alter self is a 2nd level spell.

these are arguably worse than useless, because if these features didn't exist then the DM would probably let you do the same thing much faster and easier using skills, which the rogue excels at. the kind of thing which might have taken you a few hours takes 7 days instead, the kind of thing that might have attempted instantly takes 3 hours. because they exist, DMs have a bad guideline for everyone.

utility features need to be very good to compete with skills and spells, but they're usually meh instead, or just plain bad. i know they have the advantage of being able to use them without fail or using spell slots, but 1. being able to use a boring feature over and over is still boring and 2. when it takes 7 days it's not much of an advantage and 3. most of the time these abilities are so situational that you won't use them much anyway.
>>
>>46825227
The default stat generation method for 5e is point allocation, as described in the PHB

Take your own fucking advice and READ THE PHB
>>
File: wow.png (101 KB, 352x118) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
101 KB, 352x118
>>46834496
>>
>>46834496
>>
>>46834456
No that's...read the Monk Weapon entry.
A nanchaku is just a club.
A kama is just a sickle.
You just take the stats from a weapon and call it something else.

A katar was typically about the same size of classical swords, or a sax. Easily able to be either a dagger or a short sword depending on what the player wanted.

If a player said he wanted his shortsword to be a katar, and you said "No it has to have these special rules instead" he may as well just say he'll just stick to a regular short sword instead.
>>
>>46834496
PHB pg. 13.

>You generate your characters six ability scores randomly. Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five more times, so that you have six numbers. If you want to save time or don't like the idea of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

So in fact rolling is the default method, OR if you're a girly-man and don't want to roll, you use the Default Array.

On the same page, Point Buy is actually expressly referred to as a VARIANT.

Because it has a big VARIANT in capital letters right above its description.

I think I'm required to end this with either "you dumb shit" or "you illiterate piece of trash." Take your pick as to which one; I recommend the first. It's more succinct.
>>
>>46834496
It was actually a variant rule even in 3rd edition, you were supposed to roll.
>>
>>46834574
>>46834569
>>46834543
>>46834532
inb4

>i w-was just pretending ... haha...
>>
>>46834574
To my knowledge, some variation on rolling has been the default in every edition of D&D, although I'm not familiar with 4E and so can't say for certain.

But in 3E you most certainly were supposed to roll; alternate methods of character generation weren't even in the 3rd Edition PHB, but rather contained as variants in the DMG.

And of course in 5E as we've just demonstrated, you're supposed to either roll or use the Default Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). Point buy is expressly a variant, not the standard.
>>
>>46834566
I know what the monk weapon bit says, and I know what you're trying to say. You don't understand what I'm trying to say, and that is I don't think that a Katar would count as a Shortsword or a Dagger.
>>
>>46834618
I'm not certain it's meaningfully distinct enough from either that it couldn't just be represented by one or the other.

But, hey, if you feel differently, that's okay too. There's nothing wrong with coming up with a custom weapon, as long as your DM okays it.
>>
>>46834618
They were almost entirely functionally the same as both depending on length, you just held them differently.
>>
>>46834690
This is false. You don't fight with a katar like you'd fight with a common dagger or shortsword. So no, they're not functionally the same.
>>
>>46834720
>you just held them differently
Also at least with a dagger you're not supposed to swing like a tard, you're supposed to hold it firmly and punch straight towards the front.
>>
>>46834720
Let's rephrase then.

D&D 5E is not a granular enough system to meaningfully distinguish between a katar and short sword (if the katar has a very long blade) or katar and dagger (if it has a short one). So just pick one or the other. OR, if you feel really really strongly about it, design it yourself and get it okayed by the DM.

And that's about all that can be said in this conversation.
>>
>>46834618
What on earth would a katar be that a short sword or dagger isn't? It can't just be "convert unarmed to piercing" because a non martial artist dealing 1d1 damage with a blade is ridiculous.
>>
File: PHOTO_18264676.jpg (84 KB, 1029x704) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO_18264676.jpg
84 KB, 1029x704
>>46834750
A dagger is actually also one of the few bladed weapons were a reverse grip actually makes sense and is a valid way to hold it throughout the fight; holding it that way provides actual benefits rather than just looking cool.
>>
>>46834750
>you just held them differently
Lol.

>>46834765
I know. Weapons in 5e are horribly lacking.

>>46834775
It can't just be "convert unarmed to piercing" because a non martial artist dealing 1d1 damage with a blade is ridiculous.
Why not? I suggested it being a dagger but lacking the thrown property as an alternative, but I don't see a problem with simply making unarmed strikes deal piercing damage.
>>
>>46834618
Here is a Xiphos.
>>
File: ph-0.jpg (21 KB, 640x329) Image search: [Google]
ph-0.jpg
21 KB, 640x329
>>46834618
>>46834826
Here is a Katar.

How on earth do you get short sword from one and "unarmed to piercing" from the other?
>>
File: 1e-weaponstable.jpg (104 KB, 900x824) Image search: [Google]
1e-weaponstable.jpg
104 KB, 900x824
>>46834809
>I know. Weapons in 5e are horribly lacking.

Oh, go back to 1st Edition.
>>
File: Katar.jpg (23 KB, 595x321) Image search: [Google]
Katar.jpg
23 KB, 595x321
>>46834826
>>46834836
Because this is also a Katar.

>>46834841
Bring back weapon speed please.
>>
>>46834809
>Weapons in 5e are horribly lacking.
The reason for this is simplicity's sake.
It's easier to say "a blade of this length deals 1d8 damage and can be used in one or both hands, so katanas are the same as longswords" than to make an array of similar weapons with minor differences in stats.
This is why 5e is so easy to pick up.
If you and your group don't like it, homebrew up an expanded list of weapons.
>>
I don't think there's anything 5e can do to weapons to make them more dynamic. I do want more weapons in the game in a future splat, but I don't really care about adding in additional mechanics to weapons.

That being said, what about 6e? Would a weapon triangle ala Fire Emblem be something that might be enjoyable?
>>
>>46834858
So some katars are smaller than others.

So you can represent a katar with either a knife or a short sword. And just never throw the knife.

There, problem solved.
>>
File: Notched-cinquedea.png (53 KB, 378x373) Image search: [Google]
Notched-cinquedea.png
53 KB, 378x373
>>46834858
And this is a Cinquedea.

A dagger.

Are you getting the point yet?
>>
>>46834864
Totally, and I like that bit of it. Some weapons don't fit the mold, however. You can make them fit, but it's never perfect.

>>46834868
>And just never throw the knife.
So you take the thrown property off of it then? Creating a new weapon entirely. Like I suggested earlier.
>>
>>46834881
Yes. Why not. Or you just use a damn knife instead of a weapon that never really made it out of India.
>>
>>46834879
A cinquedea is not a dagger, it is a style of weapon. Size ranges from dagger to shortsword.
>>
>>46834905
Like a Katar
>>
>>46834809
Because each of the basic weapons is designed, mostly, to fill a mechanical niche with varying trade-offs. This is why Glaive and Halberd end up being meme weapons.

There is little to distinguish katars from either a dagger or short sword mechanically, which is why rather than having kama and nunchaku and three section staff or wakizashi and tanto and kris or any other bunch of useless exotic weapons there is a way for monks to rule of cool some unique tools whilst still filling their mechanical niche.
>>
>>46834905
So

Like a Katar?
>>
>>46834569
>>46834543
>>46834532
>being this told
Damn, anon better check into a burn ward
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.