[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fluff wise, whats the best source to run a planescape game through?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11
File: Morte-Planescape-Torment.jpg (52 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Morte-Planescape-Torment.jpg
52 KB, 600x400
Fluff wise, whats the best source to run a planescape game through?
>>
>>46822083
AD&D Planescape. Is this a trick question?
>>
The same as the best source to run anything through? 5e. Duh.
>>
File: 1451940137202.png (721 KB, 467x746) Image search: [Google]
1451940137202.png
721 KB, 467x746
>>46823233
>>46824283

Don't Trust /tg/
>>
File: Planeswalker's Handbook.jpg (533 KB, 812x1060) Image search: [Google]
Planeswalker's Handbook.jpg
533 KB, 812x1060
>>46822083
Take a look at the AD&D 2e Planeswalker's Handbook. It's got everything you'll need to know to run Planescape.
>>
>>46824283
Fluff.
>>
File: Harmonium patrol.png (894 KB, 805x1041) Image search: [Google]
Harmonium patrol.png
894 KB, 805x1041
>>46824997

Ah, then you want the AD&D 2e books, check the OSR thread for torrents of all that stuff - the only confusing thing is that the "planes of conflict" books include more than the purely neutral planes like gray wastes, gehenna, elysium etc... but also the fairly aligned planes like Carceri and Arborea.

But start with the Planeswalker's handbook - one thing you probably aren't expecting is that there's a bunch of rules for how magic changes from plane to plane, and you have to keep in mind how magic sometimes has to "travel through multiple planes" and thus gets diminished slightly along the way (but don't worry, it's not too much of a book keeping nightmare because the shortest route between any two planes is usually either tha astral or ethereal plane).

From the planeswalker's handbook, either move onto any of the books covering a specific plane, like the book of lwaful planes or the book of chaotic planes etc... or have a thumb through the various adventure modules, which help flesh things out more generally on the nitty gritty of what doing a planescape campaign truly entails.
>>
File: suggestions.jpg (108 KB, 692x544) Image search: [Google]
suggestions.jpg
108 KB, 692x544
>>
I've always been curious about Planescape. It sort of feels like the last hurrah of ultra-constructed 90s RPGs, from right before the internet really exploded, when the only options for a specific class of nerds were hyper-crunchy computer games and escoteric, philosophical RPG settings. And Planescape was especially weird because the basis for its particular philosophy was decades of gonzo D&D cosmology. It sort of feels like the apotheosis of the Dungeons & Dragons brand, right before the dark days of D20 SRD era, and World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings making every fairweather nerd an enthusiastic fantasy amateur.

Has anyone successfully run a Planescape game recently? Years after the fact, it feels like a paper setting - something for dreamers to aspire to, rather than something you can actually get five people to study and get on the same wavelength with.

Also, I have the 2E Planescape Monstrous Compendium, which I picked up a used bookstore, because of DiTerlizzi, and because one of the monsters has the same name as me. Can you guess which one it is (pic not related)?
>>
>>46825846
I think planescape would be better if just the DM knew about it... That said I've never run it soooo... Fuck me.
>>
File: KSBD Broken World 1.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
KSBD Broken World 1.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Got you covered senpai
>>
>>46826494
>Designing a setting-specific supplement around a - what is it at this point? 100Pages? - internet comic.

Why do broken internet people do this? If you like something from that comic, incorporate it into
your game. Your friends are playing The Witcher and stuff. They don't know shit about your indescribable setting. There's no need to dedicate yourself to a PDF that'll be hideously oudated in four months.
>>
>>46822083
>best source
Define best source?

Are you asking for a system. Or looking for a module/setting?
>>
>>46826868

Dude that's FROM the comic's creator. I should hope he wouldn't outdate himself.
>>
>>46827009
In that case, I earnestly retract my statement.

The setting'll still undoubtedly diverge from whenever this was written, and I can't speak to its merits as a piece of game design, but whatever.

Being a nerd on the internet nowadays is just a constant stream of dorks over-extrapolating and overreaching on the flavor of the moment, though, yeah?
>>
>>46827340

Yeah no, I get that.

/tg/ alone is a showcase for
>just watched/read/saw [thing]
>I WANNA RPG/STATS/CLASS FOR IT
>>
File: knight.jpg (352 KB, 587x704) Image search: [Google]
knight.jpg
352 KB, 587x704
>>46825846
>Has anyone successfully run a Planescape game recently?
Not a full campaign, but a 7-month-long arc of my 5e campaign went to the planes. It was contained to Sigil and Baator, though. I'd love to do a full Planescape campaign sometime.
>>
File: Torment.jpg (126 KB, 740x628) Image search: [Google]
Torment.jpg
126 KB, 740x628
>>46825846
>Years after the fact, it feels like a paper setting - something for dreamers to aspire to, rather than something you can actually get five people to study and get on the same wavelength with.
Running a successful Planescape campaign is the unattainable dream of many DnD players, it's true. I'm not even going to attempt it until I have a group that can get past level 2.

In the meantime, at least we have pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20160422_074142.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160422_074142.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Got a bunch of Planescape stuff from someone selling off his collection. Heard about it and thought it was an interesting setting. I've just started running a game of it.
I've read most of the books thoroughly already but any advice for my first Planescape?
>>
As cool as it could sometimes be, it also felt like a setting that went out of its way to waste its potential in the worst ways possible.
A little too often, supplements talking about a given plane would go on and on and on about why you would die if you traveled to this place, without even bothering to mention a reason you might want to go there.
The adventures....well, the adventure anthologies are pretty cool. 'Modron March' is awesome, as long as you don't care about the metaplot going on - since you'll never really find out why the Modrons are marching early, nor would it make any difference if you did (ie, the standard status quo of a Planescape adventurer). And Dead Gods and Faction War are both gawdawful. The climax of Dead Gods hinges on remembering that nothing can EVARR!!!! harm the Lady of Pain. And Faction War consists of watching NPCs wank off for hours on end - including, at the climax, The Lady. Again.
I've never really understood why Monte Cook gets to be called a genius.
>>
>>46829634
>I've read most of the books thoroughly already but any advice for my first Planescape?
Be thoughtful about how and when you use The Cant.

Make sure your players understand some setting basics, particularly information about Sigil and the Factions.

Planescape is more dialogue and roleplay focused than most DnD settings, make sure your players know this and prepared their characters for it.

Similarly, make sure you have a plan for handing out non-combat exp to the party.

Decide the level of detail you want to go into in navigating Sigil. Maps of every place the party goes? Or leave it to the imagination?

And last but not least: be ready to improvise strange situations. A lot.
In Sigil, devious or creative players can derail your campaign faster than you can say "wait, don't touch that, cutter"
>>
>>46827368
That's the whole point of /tg/ existence though. Moot was tired of all these 40k and "stat me" threads and created a Haven for us to circlejerk among ourselves.

Praise be.
>>
>>46824997
>>46825292
If you want ideas on how Planescape meshes with Elemental Chaos, Shadowfell or Feywild check the 4e Maunal of the Planes.
>>
File: baator.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2996) Image search: [Google]
baator.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2996
>>
>>46834288
>A pretty garden on the first layer of hell

Explain?
>>
>>46834475
I assume that's a way to "entice" sinners into Hell.
>Hey, this place looks nice, let's continue.
>Oh shit fire everywhere get out GET OUT!
>Where's the exit?!
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.