[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW IS 4d6 DMG SWARM A CR 1 CREATURE? WHAT WERE THESE FAGGOTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1424626354931.png (334 KB, 449x628) Image search: [Google]
1424626354931.png
334 KB, 449x628
HOW IS 4d6 DMG SWARM A CR 1 CREATURE? WHAT WERE THESE FAGGOTS THINKING?

Also, my lvl 1 bard is ded. Oneshotted.

Seriously, wtf?
>>
>>46813831
Stay out of the water, nub.
>>
>>46813831

Use a goddamned spear.
>>
>>46813831
>i.am a shitty bad casual and my snowflake died, this isn't like WoW

cry moar
>>
>>46813831
That is a pretty high level of damage for CR1. It's pretty much guaranteed to one-shot.
>>
>>46813831
Keep out of the water
>>
File: 1459162787735.png (257 KB, 424x412) Image search: [Google]
1459162787735.png
257 KB, 424x412
>>46813831
play 4th ed, play a different game, or quite complaining.
>>
File: dnd.jpg (76 KB, 831x445) Image search: [Google]
dnd.jpg
76 KB, 831x445
>>46813831
>>
>>46814583
I don't think the player is to blame for the GM not reading through the creature stats before throwing it at the party. Which I assume is what must have happened. Or the GM hates his players.
>>
>>46813831
>Swim in infested waters
>die
Makes sense to me
>>
>>46813831
Never get in the water
>>
>>46813831
5th Ed. is trying to go back to the old school style of D&D, where it's easy to die because you made a mistake or weren't prepared
>>
>>46816265
>Have to wade through a shallow pool to reach the lever/door/whatever.
>Don't see anything in the water due to single crappy roll.
>Know something is going to happen regardless, because the cautious dungeon-delver is the long-lasting dungeon delver, so I'm ready to split when shit starts going south.
>One-shotted because the CR1 monster the GM though was okay to include deal enough damage to instantly take out anyone that's not rocking a d12 hit dice and at leave 16 CON.

There's a difference between diving dick-first into a pool surrounded with warning signs or fucking around where you obviously shouldn't and the GM assuming CR 1 creatures are okay to use as obstacles and the math being horribly off.
>>
>>46816583
You didn't throw anything in the water or poke a stick in?
>>
>attack reach 0 feet
>no move speed, only swim speed
It's meant to be more of a zone hazard than "fight this enemy". Your DM used it wrong by forcing you to go into its combat zone.
>>
>>46816672
>>46816736
Not OP, just hypothesizing. OP could be a huge fagmuffin that ignored all the signs and *did* dive in dick-first, but I don't feel the scenario I posted is unreasonable for most groups.

I feel that that sort of ultra-lethal dungeon design breeds hyperparanoid players that slow everything into a crawl because they're going to treat everything as Tomb of Horrors, touching every tile with a ten-foot pole and deliberating for an hour every time they come across *anything*. If you want to teach your players to be cautious, you can do so without loloneshotting them, and brash players that leap before they look can be reigned in with methods beyond "roll up a new character." The amount of damage dealt by that swarm is over the top for CR 1 and doesn't allow for any sort of correction; a player that survives the initial attack is liable to retreat and formulate a plan, but one that's dead because of something that's barely a step above "rocks fall, you die" is more likely to just stop caring and start treating his characters as numbers and not, y'know, characters.
>>
>>46814702
>guaranteed
It' not guarenteed. In fact it's not even likely for anyone with more than 7 hp.
>>
>>46816583
>There is a difference between diving in dick first and wading in dick first

No there isn't. You even said yourself that you knew it was risky. Jump accross, mage hand the lever, get a raft, freeze the water, anything but jump into water that you can't be certain of.
>>
>>46816583
If you had 10ft pole, you could pole-vault over the pool.
Alternatively, throw in remains from the last fight, that should keep it occupied long enough to pass through.
>>
>>46814583
Your post sounds a lot more like WoW than OP's.
>>
>>46816672
Many modern GMs (and be honest, most /tg/ers) would complain about the player metagaming if he did that after he failed a spot roll.
>>
>>46820033

This, seriously.

Y'all would be the first fuckers calling the player the spawn of Satan's asshole if the GM had come with a story about how one of his players failed a spot check and went on-guard anyway.

This would've worked back before spot/search checks were even a thing because the character was just an avatar for you, the player, to solve the dungeon.
>>
>>46820098
This is why Im a fan of passive spot.
Players have a base number that things hide against instead of an opposed roll.

If the monsters fail to hide then they are described in full with the room. If they arent, you dont. Encourages cautious play and doesnt meta alert the players to danger if a spot check is called for.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.