[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1449688672459.jpg (96 KB, 309x550) Image search: [Google]
1449688672459.jpg
96 KB, 309x550
Low magic settings, pros and cons, any tips for running one as a GM?
>>
File: 1409118296175.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1045) Image search: [Google]
1409118296175.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1045
Define low magic.

If you mean it in terms of very few magic items and few magical enemies, then they can work great. Just be aware that the players will expect to be able to do everything in the PHB and more, and the odds are they will all want to paly as charaters with access to magic. The main thing you will need to emphasise to them is that there will be little or no magic coming in from outside the group. mo friendly wizards guilds who can teach you spells for a standard price, no temples stocked up with clerics who will que up to heal your wounds, and not to expect to find healing potions on every enemy.

The other way to do it is as above, but with the players estricted in their choice of classes. This almost always results in bitching and whining from players who usually play a barbarian, but as soon as they hear it's a low magic campaign want to play a sorcerer. You can sometimes get round this by promising them they can multiclass into magic classes from level 2, and have their first adventure expose them to some form of magic that allows them to break the normal asumptions of the setting.

Either way make sure the players know what the deal is frmo the start, and I strongly sugest spending at least a few hours going through backstories and discussing characters with them, create the charcters as a group. IT can feel like a waste of time, but it's usually worth it in the end.
>>
>>46812638
>D&D
>low magic

Do you also walk into a Japanese restaurant and order a hamburger?
>>
>>46812638
>The Black Company (D&D 3.5E variant)
>Pros: The Black Company.
>Cons: Everybody dies.
>>
>>46812853
>unironically recommending D&D 3.X in the year 2016
>>
>>46812638
Pros: you don't have to remember gazilion of messy spells from thousands of books
Cons: I can't find any.

If you want to put magic there, just say that a character does something and X happens. If you need mechanics to that, just make up one.

I love low-magic settings.
>>
File: WWP16154_500.jpg (140 KB, 500x676) Image search: [Google]
WWP16154_500.jpg
140 KB, 500x676
>>46812638
Everything you need is in Iron Heroes, bro. Including tips.

http://zaffudo.com/Iron%20Heroes.pdf
>>
As far as I don't know how dnd works, high level might be pain without heavy magic.
Killing 10d10+30 hp guy with 2d6+5 damage per round is 11 rounds, assuming 100% hit rate.

But fear not for Warhammer fantasy is out there!
Setting may have some high magic and heroics but not for the PC, who are ratcatchers, farmers or tax collectors. And if by any chance someone is apprentice wizard he may kill himself by spellcasting. Praise Sigmar!
>>
>>46812638
>any tips for running one as a GM?

Don't use D&D.

Low magic gets retarded when you're using a system meant for superheroes with swords.
>>
File: 1461243676073.jpg (82 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1461243676073.jpg
82 KB, 500x375
>>46812638
Do you believe in magic?
>>
File: natural_20_dnd_03.jpg (44 KB, 500x772) Image search: [Google]
natural_20_dnd_03.jpg
44 KB, 500x772
>>46812638
Melee combat is the way to go. How else would you get great memes in your games?
>>
Low magic? Runequest 6 combat system could do you a favor, if you want to avoid the problems of DnD in high levels.
>>
>>46812638
Unless you disallow most of the classes it's not going to work out. You'll have much better luck playing some other game.
>>
>>46812638
Manly melee as Khorne intended it to be is always the way to go.

>Be me
>Play Goliath Fighter
>Get swallowed by T-Rex
>Cut my way the fuck out of his stomach with a nat 20 roll that auto kills it.

fuckyeah.jpeg
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.