[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you play a game that takes place within a Virtual Reality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
Would you play a game that takes place within a Virtual Reality game?

The idea being that players are characters in some sort of extreme advanced virtual reality. The game would be full of cheesy quests, random item drops, 0 time to equip and change items (but inventory limit) etc. The plots would not be reality to the Vidya plots, but rather guilds intrigues, raids to get better items, dealing with problematic players and hackers. Death would result in full item lost and spawning back in town. Players could 'break' character without breaking character. Items would always be decided by a random drop table based on the mob, etc.

Before anyone ask, no, it has nothing to do with that anime. Or any anime.
>>
>>46811601
Sounds like fun. Meta as fuck.
>>
>>46811632
That's one of the ideas. Make fun of the genre while still being able to have a couple 'serious' plotlines. Such as making the classical level up ding, or players camping to grind a boss until they all have purple tier / epic gear
>>
>>46811601
I did something similar once because I had a party that liked to mess around and fail plotlines purely for the lulz factor of seeing what would happen.

Rather than getting frustrated and trying to make them play seriously, I just said everything was virtual and the could "reload checkpoints" when they finally got bored of seeing the town/city/world burn because of their screwing around.

It worked surprisingly well actually.
>>
>>46811601
It would be great to shift this into reality and back again. Imagine if there's protests against the fighting in it (MURDER SIMULATORS!, the old war cry of the 90's) as well as efforts to ban nudity and other bothersome content. Or whenever you walk into a marked dungeon you step into an interactive advert or some shit and have to tolerate it for a minute before you get back to your dungeon.

What about physical changes as well. What happens when 300lb big fat Ron logs in as scrawny harpy girl? He'll be falling all over the place trying to get used to , well, everything.

Lots of ideas to roll around here.

>Would you play a game that takes place within a Virtual Reality game?

Hell yeah.
>>
File: 9tquwt6g.jpg (31 KB, 297x399) Image search: [Google]
9tquwt6g.jpg
31 KB, 297x399
>>46811601
So pretty much Avalon: The Tabletop RPG?
>>
>>46811601

Would cross-gender characters be okay? What about ERP?
>>
File: 1426562939088.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1426562939088.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>46811915
Whatever your group is OK with is OK, that's the fucking point of roleplaying.

But you already knew that, didn't you?
>>
>>46811905
>So pretty much [insert some RPG here]
Weak bait.
>>
>>46812343
The fuck it has to do with bait? Have you seen the fucking movie? Because apparently no, but you instantly go all "b8"
>>
>>46812530
Well, I'm from Poland and even here the movie is not really known.
>>46812343
The movie is about people playing a Battlefield like game in virtual reality - real enough to have a chance of becoming brain-dead if you die in the game.
>>
>>46811601
To be honest, you're basically describing a typical DnD game.

Bugs/Glitches/Cheats are just replacing Gods/Magic. The only difference is the coat of paint.
>>
>>46812530
>Have you seen the fucking movie?
>>>/tv/
>>
>>46812588
>Guy posts a movie poster about a flickvery similar to OP's idea
>HURR /tv/ get lost DURR
>>
How would the game deal with the more dangerous aspects of life?

Would you feel pain if you were hurt? Or just a warning flash and a polite little 50/25 hp in the corner flickering up?

Would shedding your clothes make you a pixelated mass?

Would swearing literally be bleeped out?

How is death handled? Does it force you to keel over and lie down until you are brought back, respawn at a town?

I like the idea of trying to mech mechanics with reality. It'll go badly.
>>
>>46812588
>Have you played Warhammer Total War?
>>>/v/
>Have you read the D&D rulebook?
>>>/lit/
>Have you played Maid RPG?
>>>/a/
>Have you been thinking what could your character really eat in that tavern?
>>>/ck/
>Have you played a game set in historical times?
>>>/his/
>Have you played a sci-fi game?
>>>/sci/
>Was there any sport in your game?
>>>/sp/
>Was your character buff?
>>>/fit/
>Did your character have any reproductory organs?
>>>/d/
>Have you been to your LGS lately?
>>>/out/
>Oh, you drove there?
>>>/o/
>You mean you took a bus?
>>>/n/
>Have you played with your friends through skype?
>>>/g/
>You invited them home to play with you?
>>>/b/

I bet you're one of those guys who actually asks /g/ about space marines
>>
>>46811601
OP, you have a webcomic with this premise. 4 adventurers (i know there is a druid dwarf) are actually suspended in a WoW like VR amniotic chamber, and the CEO of the company actually has a magical grimoire IRL (in comic).
>>
>>46811601
Nah, because I know it'd turn into every "characters are in a video game" anime ever, i.e. "Ah, shit, something in the game's causing bad things to happen in the real world!"
>>
>>46811601
Depends on how good the game is.
>>
Hearing the idea I automaticly thought of a roleplaying guild roleplaying as their character in the virtual reality, in some sort of meta mediëval cancer meme. Literally every guild member's parents are dead, and they can't stop saying "thy" "thou" and other dumb shit you see when starting up roleplay on a MMO.

Heck, you could even throw in a few jokes about the players making overdramatized versions of the tropes or last characters they played.
>>
>>46812708
>>46812724
>Getting this upset
Buttblasted.
>>
>>46812712
> Would you feel pain if you get hurt?
Yes, the serve connects to your brain almost seaminglessly. Most servers are 'non-hardcore'. So they have failsafes in place to avoid loading too much pain into a player. It hurts, but not nearly as much as it should. Being burned alive feels like a very unconfortable hot shower, which with visual impact can seem like painful, but wont scar you for life. Hardcore servers remove this failsafes, they are illegal but have niche groups of people who enjoy them.

>Would shedding your clothes make you a pixelated mass?
Same as above. Server limitation. Most servers censor nudity and have either pixel censor or 'unremovable underwear'. This whoever don't apply to all.

Would swearing literally be bleeped out?
Same as above. Server sided. Usually not though.

How is death handled? Does it force you to keel over and lie down until you are brought back, respawn at a town?
Whenever you reach a certain level of stress due to the simulate pain and your wounds, and your character XP, the 'convinces' you with impulses to your brain that you simply can't stand up, and along with a feel jolts of 'pain', it gives you partial control of your character while also ragdolling it for a result that is convincing 50% of times and ridiculous other 50. After death your game conscience is reloaded in your avatar back in the nearest spawn point, and your body remain where it is for one hour, where it can be looted. Full equip loss a la ultima online, but retain skills.

>>46812879
Dun intent to use a lot of 'real world' plot problems. It beats the point of the VR to me.
>>
File: Lets Eat Trash.jpg (81 KB, 741x487) Image search: [Google]
Lets Eat Trash.jpg
81 KB, 741x487
>>46813205
>Anyone who disagrees with me is automatically completely invested into my argument and therefore upset
>>
>>46813410
Have you taken any painkillers for that butthurt?
>>
>>46813400
All that makes sense. I'm pretty sure the greatest threat within the game will be the one that threatens all games and things. We even have an example of it in this very thread.

Drama.

People having screaming matches over Loot/Erp/Buffs and other vapid shit.
People emptying guild banks.
People making false reports to guards and whatnot.

I'm wondering if it will be mostly population controlled (Ai guards or even volunteer player guards) or GM controlled (A gm logs in, magically fixes everything then vanishes again)
>>
>>46813473
One could run a game in an 'abandoned' server. Like those games that keep running but have no admins and very few players for a while. But for some reason in this game it also meant NPCs are bugged and acting odd, monsters migrated and some bits of code are all wonky. There is no DM to fix stuff so people need to like, organize parties to kill the monster infesting the town before they kill the only shopkeeper. Or find out why the blacksmith will only sell iron daggers.
>>
>>46811601
No, if I would want that experience I would go back to actually playing MMOs.
>>
>>46813600
Wow, they already have virtual reality MMOs? And for so long you stop playing them? Please link them to me anon. Here I thought full VR was a cyberpunk fantasy. But you came here to tell us its the truth. And it's been so for a while! Please, enlighten us.
>>
>>46813531
I like this idea a lot. Stealing it for my new campaign.
>>
File: 1443630672659.gif (691 KB, 255x209) Image search: [Google]
1443630672659.gif
691 KB, 255x209
>>46813420
Not him, but that was a pretty weak response, I was hoping for more from you
>>
File: 1449603774957.png (45 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1449603774957.png
45 KB, 554x439
>>46813647
>Not him
Not him, but that was pretty weak damage control, I was hoping for more from you.
>>
>>46813531
>"Bring me five wolf tails"
Player goes out, kills five wolves. Brings quest, gets reward.
>"Bring me five tolf wails."
Player is confused. Kills five wolves, bring the tails to npc. Get rewards
>"Bring me all your teeth."
Player tries to kill five wolves. Doesnt work. Decides to go to another town. Stops to rest his stamina, NPC jumps him from a bush
"Bring me ALL your teeth."
Fights npc, kills it. Arrives in next town, town guard at the gate has 4 players body in front of him. Same name as weird quest giver. Looks at player.
"ALL YOUR TEETH".
>>
>>46813531
This is actually a great idea. Well done!

Makes me think of all the ancient mmos out there that have been utterly abandoned yet still trundle on. Hell, imagine a group within a group discussing what they want to play that evening.

"How about that ninja one?"
"We could do that monster one again, so what if everyone spoke Chinese?"
"I revisited an account I made ten years ago. I had so many letters in the mailbox they flooded the street."
>>
>>46813707
An abandoned, bugged MMO becomes a digital nightmare of the strange, eerie and outright unconfortable?

Yes.
>>
>>46813707
>>46813760
Sounds great and way more original than the usual "if you die in-game, you die IRL" anime shit.
>>
>>46813801
The only Matrix movie ever produced, written, designed or conceived did it first and did it better than any anime.
>>
>>46813682
As the original >>46812708 anon, I must say this went just as planned
>>
>>46814036
>I was only pretending to be retarded
You truly belong in >>>/tv/
>>
File: whoa.jpg (13 KB, 299x274) Image search: [Google]
whoa.jpg
13 KB, 299x274
>>46813834
>Be me
>Reading some Abhidharmakośa for yesteday's Buddism discussions at the uni
>Suddenly you realise why everyone was talking about the philosophical values in the only Matrix movie ever produced
>Suddenly half of the chosen one cliches cease to be chosen one cliches
And I was like pic related
>>
File: 517.jpg (9 KB, 248x233) Image search: [Google]
517.jpg
9 KB, 248x233
>>46814127
>>
File: Smug overload.jpg (42 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
Smug overload.jpg
42 KB, 448x595
>>46814175
>>
>>46814159
The only matrix movie ever produced has a very complex net of references to several philosophies. Buddhism is one of the main inspirations, but there's a lot of winks and nods to nihilism, Kant and others, such as utilitarism ethics.

I'm not even trying to sound smart and I'm going to be honest, i probably missed more than half the hidden meanings in that. But reading a little bit on Nietschzehdsdhheshehdhedh (or whoever his name is spelled), you start seeing the movie is deeper than the first layer you originally think you see
>>
>>46811601
can a be a sexy busty amazon warrior in high heels?
>>
>>46814459
It's not even my point. The fragment I was reading was about how things can be seen as they are, even if we are unable to see anything else than different manifestations of them and not the thing itself.
And then it hit me the moment Neo starts seeing everything "in code" is probably the closest thing we will ever have to properly summarise and visualise 10 pages of absolutely mind-bogging high-tier philosophical "explaination" that only makes thing more complex and aggregated.

That's why it was suddenly so mind-blowing. Because I've realised it's not all the cheap tricks and faux symbolism spread all over the film, but actual bits of pure brilliance...
... if you only know the proper context
>>
I was in a similar game once, we were a bunch of gamers who had personas in an ARG game. The game would give you an objective, like "go ride a bike" and would get increasingly more difficult and dangerous the longer the game went on (my personal favorite was "find a goat", "steal the goat" and much later on "sacrifice the goat"). Eventually the players found they couldn't turn off the game or pause the missions- if you failed a mission, there was a penalty based on the level you were on- later penalties were mostly death or madness.

I thought that was a fun format to play, but I'm not sure if OP's game has that sort of atmosphere. I mostly go for horror settings, but I could see the appeal in a game sort of like .hack
>>
>>46813834
>>46814159
>>46814459
>>46814507
Anons, you do realise you are talking about intellectual qualities of trilogy of so-so action films based on chase sequences, martial arts and rebel AI bullshit... right?
>>
>>46814541
>trilogy

But anon there is only one matrix film
>>
>>46811601
I'll try anything once.
>>
File: matrix_revisited.png (46 KB, 742x167) Image search: [Google]
matrix_revisited.png
46 KB, 742x167
>>46814541
>>
>>46812530
There are tons of books, movies, series etc about the same concept. It's not new in the slightest.
>>
>>46814541
Wut? Triology? man, we talking about matrix. 0.0
>>
File: Marche.png (115 KB, 500x229) Image search: [Google]
Marche.png
115 KB, 500x229
>>46815375
>>46814661
>>46814615
Shouting them away won't make them not exist.

You cannot run from your sins.

Even now the evil seed of what you've done germinates within you.
>>
>>46816060
Believe me, it's effective enough to be useful
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.