[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/ - GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: GURPS OP.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Newfriend's Questions Edition

In previous series: >>46745890
>>
Favorite rule?

Least favorite rule?
>>
>>46808633
>Favorite rule?
Rule of 14
>Least favorite rule?
Rule of 16
>>
Has anyone got the Divine Favour pdf they could share?
>>
>>46808633
Dramatic deaths I guess. Worst is probably how Dodge easily fucks over ranged weapons without high RoF.
>>
>>46809380
Already.
>>
Man, putting talents in GCS is nuts, no wonder nobody bothered to insert all of them from power ups. Even in half-automated way it's still tedious.
>>
File: 1402833372073.jpg (86 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
1402833372073.jpg
86 KB, 666x1000
>>46809773
I sort of want some kind of rule that makes cover more useful and dodge less useful. So the primary reaction to people shooting at you becomes to get behind something, as opposed to drop everything until unencumbered and do a line of coke.

>>46808633

Major Wounds. They keep combat dramatic and are pretty damn simple.
>>
>>46810856
>I sort of want some kind of rule that makes cover more useful and dodge less useful.

There's a Douglas Cole article called "Dodge This" in one of the Pyramid issues which addresses this - you need to make vision rolls to spot people shooting at you, and you can only dodge against attacks from one specified enemy, etc.
>>
File: ss (2016-04-21 at 06.46.42).png (184 KB, 1014x878) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-04-21 at 06.46.42).png
184 KB, 1014x878
>>46809773
>>46810856
Have you two considered using the 'Realistic' dodging rules?
>>
>>46810958
>>46810969
Good points and decent options. Cover in GURPS still bugs me, but that might just be me.
>>
Chalk Zeppelins.
>>
>>46810991
Tactical shooting then?
>>
What's the best one-handed gun at TL 8 or lower?
>>
That thread where people are actually defending once per day abilities for martial characters makes me really glad not all systems are retarded immersion destroyers.

Can you imagine how stupid Martial Arts would be if you could only use the techniques of your style once a day?
>>
>>46810088
That's one of the reasons I stick with GCA. Once you learn how to create and edit them data files are a breeze. I also find templates easier to do in GCA.
>>
>>46812214
Unless it has some simplified interface for talents that allows to just dump all skill names instead of manually creating modifier for each, I doubt there is any difference. Also, I already finished.
>>
>>46812269
Honestly, I cheat and copy stuff from the official data files anyway.
>>
>>46811942
What's your definition of best? Ammo capacity? Damage? Concealability?

In a semiauto .40 cal hits a sweet spot in the rules and so is probably 'best' if all categories are given equal weight.
>>
Haha!
>>
>>46808633

I like how Broad-Minded is a Quirk: you actually get a point back for being accepting.
>>
What actual difference in mechanical side of dividing pistols to three tables: Non-Repeating, Revolvers and Semiautomatic?
And how much problems it make on game, if i stake it all in one table?
>>
>>46814548
Non-Repeating shoot once and need reloading, revolvers need to be reloaded bullet by bullet (unless you use a speedloader) and semiautos use magazines. Mostly makes differences in reload times and sustained rate of fire.
>>
>>46814597
>Mostly makes differences in reload times and sustained rate of fire.
And all this is noted in RoF/Shots columns.
So there no big mess of merging all pistols in one "master" gunshoppe table?
>>
Okay, assuming a GM is gracious enough to let you roll versus Perception to spot a foe that is behind you via a reflective surface (such as a truck's driver-side mirror), what Active Defenses/Active Defense options can you attempt versus their attack and how, if at all, will they be penalized?
>>
>>46814548
You mean like in high-tech? It's a formatting decision to make finding the kind of gun you want easier even if you don't really know anything about pistols; if Little Jonny wants to play a cowboy, he checks the Revolvers table instead of looking for guns with Shots: 6(3i). Also because a table for all the pistols would be fuckhuge; they should have broken up the equally fuckhuge rifle table too.

>>46814713
-2 for awkward angle/lack of exact timing, same as runaround attack.
>>
>>46814768

Can you "Retreat" forward in this situation?

I know that Martial Art allows you to do this with a "Slip", but that is when you are directly facing your opponent and are charging *into* their attack.
>>
>>46814871

GURPS Martial Arts*, rather.
>>
>>46814871
Moving away from the attack is a retreat, moving towards it is a slip; I'm 99% sure your personal direction (taking a step forward or backwards) is irrelevant.
>>
>>46814768
>Also because a table for all the pistols would be fuckhuge; they should have broken up the equally fuckhuge rifle table too.
Exel doesnt care.
>>
>>46815008

>being a GURPSter
>using Excel
>not using LaTeX
>>
File: I Love Sorcery!.jpg (190 KB, 499x750) Image search: [Google]
I Love Sorcery!.jpg
190 KB, 499x750
>>
Pyramid #3/90 After the End is out.

RPK's "Are We Not Men?" is more mutant powers, plus a table to roll for randomly instead of picking them.
"Robots After the End" is Reign of Steel + AtE. Not much else to say here.
Pulver's "The Mercy Dolls" is an AtE setting; not much to say about this either as I can't really judge it until I've read it in full, but the tagline doesn't make it sound too interesting, despite the title.
"Warping Monsters Into Mutants" looks like a guide to reskinning DF threats to AtE ones. This looks like an unnecessary article; who needs a guide to refluffing?
"Survival After the End" from Rice looks decent, though, as it expands on the survival rules from AtE 2.

At first glance, only the first and last articles look worthwhile, and really only the last one. Maybe it'll turn out to be better than expected, though; I also thought Alternate Dungeons II was meh until I actually got a chance to crack it open.
>>
File: Pyramid - 3-90 After the End.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid - 3-90 After the End.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46817273

Here you go. Haven't had a chance to really read it yet...
>>
>>46818446
Thanks, anon!
>>
File: u4hLCdI.jpg (821 KB, 2496x1872) Image search: [Google]
u4hLCdI.jpg
821 KB, 2496x1872
>>46818446
Thanks man, I've been digging on the ATE stuff.
>>
>>46818446

You're a saint, anon.
>>
>>46818446

Are We Not Men: More mutations. Some pretty nasty - Cryogenic Kiss, exhale freezing breath for 2d(5), and if they breathe it in, they have to save vs temporary paralysis. Nerve Gas is a subtler one - harder to use well due to friendly fire and use limits, but extremely effective.

Freakish Pheromones is a pretty interesting ability. Cosmic Charisma, that causes their reaction to persist and resist lowering. NPC-recommended, but

Robots After the End: Pretty much pointless. Could have been one page - but works as a setting overview.

Mercy Dolls: Interesting-ish. Lots of mutants, and the plot is pretty centered around the remaining TL9 sapient medical androids (playable), and what they know. Calls Blue Moon, "Blood Moon" a couple of times. "Hundreds" of Mercy Dolls down to "a few" is probably a typo - unless they're talking local scale, that would make them basically irrelevant except to Plot.

Monsters to Mutants: Pointless. "Just buff them".

Survival At the End: So-so. Useful if you want to track or hunt food, but I can't help but think the AtE conversion is just slapped on. Overly detailed on the bits you don't care about, hints at really interesting stuff - using certain plants to decontaminate land - but doesn't expand on them.

Random Thought Table: Presents a campaign arc. Mostly cliched, but interesting choice at the end.

Overall... kinda meh. Saves some effort collecting info though.
>>
>>46820356
> Calls Blue Moon, "Blood Moon" a couple of times.

'Blood Moon' is what it's called when it activates from a dormant state in an infected child. Kind of like the difference between Chickenpox and Shingles.
>>
>>46820356
>To use Gardening (or Farming) in an After the End campaigns,
adopt the following simplified rules: Properly tended
garden (mostly staples and some vegetables) provide 10 meals/
week on a successful roll, modified by the Meals/Hour ratio
under Faster Gathering (The New World, p. 30). This requires
at least 2 hours/meal (1 hour on a critical success!) spent pulling
weeds, fertilizing, irrigating, and other agricultural activities.
A failed roll still produces some food (2 meals worth),
while a critical failure results in no food and wasted time. This
is for small gardens (approximately 600 square feet); multiply
the yield (and required man-hours) for larger areas.

So to feed yourself with SL 12 in Farming you'd need 3 beds. On average you fail 1/4th the time and generate a slight surplus, part of that you have to keep on hand for weeks when more then 2 beds fail at once in a week and you aren't making enough food to keep yourself fed.

You also need to put in 60 hours a week, or about 8 hours and 40 mints a day, with no days off. On an average week you produce 24.2 meals and require 21.

So on the value of 3.2 surplus meals per week you are supposed to buy everything you need, tools, supplies, security, shelter, ect.

For the SL 12 farmer adding a 4th bed is optional. It means 11 and 1/2 hour days, every day, but means they are producing 32 meals on an average week. Working with a spouse they might even be able to keep one child fed until the kid is old enough to work.
>>
>>46822124
TL 8 agriculture methods produce enough food with one farmer to feed 155 people. They are assuming TL 0 subsistence farming with no tools or agricultural animals.
>>
Going to try running some GURPS when I get back on campus for the fall semester. How bad of an idea would it be to limit the party with regard to their adventuring skills in a world that has not concept of "adventurers" like in D&D? It just doesn't really make sense for them to have much of an adventuring skill-set. In a sense, they will be the first adventurers.
>>
>>46822726
Depends on:
1) if you think a real slow startup as the players develop basic competency is fun. I mean, if you are playing by the Basic Set optional learning rules, it'll take 200 hours of adventuring to accumulate 1 point in a completely alien skill.
2) If your players think that sounds fun and wouldn't get frustrated with "Roll traps at default, Roll physiology at default, roll hazardous materials (magic) at default" for the first few sessions.

To me, it sounds like it would start off as a chore, but be kind of a rush the moment you become the world's only expert on... Hidden Lore(Goblin Conspiracy)
>>
>>46822899
>To me, it sounds like it would start off as a chore, but be kind of a rush the moment you become the world's only expert on... Hidden Lore(Goblin Conspiracy)
That's the idea. I also think it might help them adjust to a new system by limiting them a bit in the beginning, and allowing possibilities open up as they familiarize themselves with the system.
>>
Now I want this thing. How much penalty should be applied for aiming from unusual position?
>>
>>46824703
I want to say -4 and +1 Recoil to reflect the position. Maybe -3 for more sophisticated rigs to shoot around covers and above cover and -6 and can't aim for 'fuck it, just use a mirror' options.
>>
>>46825173
Well, it's used with collimator sights (not sure if that's correct term in english) so you don't need perfect alignment like with iron sights or simple optics.
>>
pg 10 spell of life roll
>>
>>46818704
It makes me sad when such cool building become forgotten. Why nobody bought it? I mean unless it's in some shithole without normal sewerage and electricity around.
>>
>>46828095
To be honest, I think buildings like this look much cooler after they've been forgotten and abandoned for a while.
>>
File: North-Brother-Island-19.jpg (153 KB, 800x716) Image search: [Google]
North-Brother-Island-19.jpg
153 KB, 800x716
>>46828095
It's in a good area but it's also a coal mine, so to turn it into, say, houses you'd need to clean up mine tailings and do a bunch of other stuff to legally occupy it. That said.. After the end, anything goes.

Given how these buildings are often still around because they are durable and too expensive to tear down, they make good ideas for after the end shelters.

>>46825264
That's the right word and a good point. The unlimited relief of collimator sight with little parallax means you can see the sight picture without careful alignment.
>>
File: 1452888044618.png (1 MB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
1452888044618.png
1 MB, 861x1169
>>46808633
>Favorite
Edge Protection and Blunt Trauma from Low-Tech.

>Least favorite
Rather an engine feature than a rule; 1 second combat turns with no serious consequences for attacking every turn (unless you use some clunky hack like Last Gasp).
>>
>>46829093
>Rather an engine feature than a rule; 1 second combat turns with no serious consequences for attacking every turn

What, you don't like a longbowman being able to shoot 120 arrows a minute?
>>
>>46829093
Have them lose FP after the fight.
And then have fresh enemies wander in.

>>46829152
>120 arrows a minute
wat
>>
>>46829273
That's with techniques and one or two cinematic advantages, of course.

The best you're going to do with a small investment (Bow and Fast Draw (Arrow) both at DX just costs [3]) is one every other round, for 30 rpm.
>>
I'm interested in picking up GURPs for a new game I'm going to be running in a few weeks. I can't decide which edition I should use and I need help! I want one with plenty of sourcebooks to pull from, and I don't have an issue with crunch or a more complicated rule set. I have the time to read the books. Any suggestions?
>>
If axe can be throwable, pick can be throwable too, right?
>>
>>46829462
> That's with techniques and one or two cinematic advantages, of course.
In a cinematic game, yes, I am 10% okay with a heavily invested archer launching 120 arrows per minute.

> The best you're going to do with a small investment (Bow and Fast Draw (Arrow) both at DX just costs [3]) is one every other round, for 30 rpm.
And this, again, is fine... even in a realistic game. Since you're not aiming, you're missing a lot of those shots... aiming drops you to 1 shot every 3 seconds, or 20 shots per minute. Not to mention the fact that, if you've spent only those 3 points, you've got a 50% chance of dropping each arrow you draw (the effect of a failed fast-draw check), which adds at least one second to either draw the arrow normally that turn, or wait until next turn to try to fast draw again... meaning half your shots take an extra second to get off, for a rate of 2 shots every 7 seconds, or about 17 shots per minute (that's assuming that you draw the arrow normally after a failed fast-draw check instead of trying another fast draw, which will have another 50% chance of adding another second to the shot).

So in the end, you either invest a huge number of points into being a highly trained bowman that can fire 30 arrows per minute with acceptable accuracy (not amazingly realistic, but given the points required, at least palatable), invest a moderate number of points to fire 20 arrows per minute with acceptable accuracy while aiming, or you spend a few points to fumble along at 17 shots per minute while dropping half your arrows and looking like a dumbass.
>>
>>46829553
4th edition is basically better in every way and from what I understand 3rd edition sourcebooks are not hard to convert to 4th edition mechanics where necessary.
>>
>>46829462
>>46829629
> ...or you spend a few points to fumble along at 17 shots per minute while dropping half your arrows and looking like a dumbass.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the part where you're still missing most of your shots - even while aiming - unless they're against someone right in your face.
>>
>>46810969
>>46810991
>>46811875
Personally I extend the dodge rules it with a custom rule by saying that if your character is within 1 step of cover, he can step into cover to gain a bonus just like how Dodge and Drop works. The size of the bonus depends on how much it cover after the step (note that you can also use this step to change posture, and the cover amount is determined after the posture change). The bonus is +1 for at least 1/3 cover, +2 for at least 2/3 cover, and +3 for full cover). If the shot misses by equal to or less than this bonus, then treat it as if it hit the cover (checking for the cover's DR, penetration, etc.). You can also combine this rule with an Acrobatic Dodge for an extra +2.

The idea being that cover becomes more useful, as does tactically maneuvering while close to cover so that you can pop behind it when you need to. I haven't done extensive playtesting with it, but it's been working out so far. You can also easily play around with the size of the bonuses.
>>
>>46829553
I'd go with 4th. Also, check out the pdf called How to be a GURPS GM, very handy.
>>
>11 points on signature gear
Okay, maybe fabulous etching on the blade was a bit over the top.
Also, how price is calculated if I have CF modifier and plain +x$ cost increase from different things?
>>
>>46830915
>+x$ cost
I mean like just +50$, not multiplier.
>>
File: 15157684.jpg (463 KB, 1417x945) Image search: [Google]
15157684.jpg
463 KB, 1417x945
>>46829629
>>46829273
>>46829152
>>46829093

Humm..

As a patch to this problem (that isn't a huge problem, fights rarely go on that long)..

Everyone has Breath equal to full FP. Attacking with a muscle powered weapon, moving at full rate or using dodge uses up 1 breath. Every turn you don't perform an action that cost FP or Breath, you regain Breath / 10. If you Do Nothing, you instead regain Breath / 5. Double those if you have Fit or Very Fit, and double your base Breath pool if you have Very Fit.

At 1/2 Breath, take -1 to all actions. 0 Breath you instead lose FP.

Result: You can sprint or fight flat out in combat for a short time, then need to rest. You can catch your breath slowly by going on full defense (as long as you don't dodge) or faster if you can safely lower your guard and do nothing for a couple seconds.

A person in good shape can fight flat out for 5 seconds with no penalty, then at -1 for 5 more seconds. If they can't or won't stop at that point they have 5 more seconds of burning FP before they hit the wall.

IRL, you can sprint flat out (or shoot off a hard combo on a boxing mat) for about 6-8 seconds at a time. This makes 15 seconds at maximum intensity a bit generous, though the rule still falls into the case of harsh realism.

That said, Very Fit makes it not matter that much, as it gives you a Breath pool twice the size (less clunky then losing it at half the normal rate) and doubles the rate you recover.
>>
>>46830918
In general you add flat modifiers to cost after the CF.
>>
So, anon posted Pyramid 3-90 here, but... Pyramid 3-89 isn't on the Archive. Anyone have it?
>>
File: MNY145074.jpg (69 KB, 753x550) Image search: [Google]
MNY145074.jpg
69 KB, 753x550
>>46824703
What are you talking about? It should give straight-up bonuses!
>>
>>46831792
I, for once, ask for #85, since it was removed. Not sure if I will even use it, but want for full collection.
>>
>>46831847
Thanks, Anon. And, in return, here is 3-95. Which, if I may say, it's one of my favourites.

mega (dot) nz/#!D5d2EJjI!HIRkONGDbMpaztdv_ROJH5Sw5A-msIozccuDTjwircA
>>
>>46831889
Thank you, misspelled anon.
>>
I have a question about insanely over-the-top gunplay in GURPS.

Is it possible to combine "Spraying Fire" with the Skip Shot Perk/maneuver described in the Gun Fu supplement?

This combination of options could allow a highly skilled shootist to strafe a line with automatic weapon fire and bounce the bullets over to an area they cannot target in a straight line.
>>
>>46831980
If Gun-Fu, yes. If anything else, hell no.
>>
>>46831980
It's Gun-Fu: OF COURSE!!
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (115 KB, 640x765) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
115 KB, 640x765
Bump with shitty jokes.
>>
>>46833805
Post magic!
>>
>>46833805
And I just realized I fucked up second line. Whatever.
>>
>>46833835
I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, m80.
>>
>>46829571

Sort of, but I'd expect it to function more like a thrown hammer or mace (i.e. best lobbed with the head leading rather than spun end-over-end).

Actually getting the spike to stick into a target seems like it would be significantly harder; throwing axes have broad blades which can cut from a wide range of angles while a pick needs to hit at a fairly precise one to stick in. On the other hand, throwing knives seem like they would have the same issue and they exist so it can't be that much of a problem.

I'm inclined to say yes, but with Acc 0.
>>
>>46834364
Yeah, I forgot axes work a bit different.
Knives use thrust damage, though, since they don't really benefit from spinning. I believe properly thrown knife is not even supposed to spin.
>>
>>46818446

>random mutation generator

I'm going to repurpose this as a space opera animal generator but it's pretty cool.
>>
Quick question, can the British Bulldog Number 2 variant fire SAPLE rounds too, or only the Webley RIC Number 1?

(High-Tech Page 94-95)
>>
>>46835578
If it fires .442 RIC I don't see why not.
>>
File: GURPS.jpg (371 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.jpg
371 KB, 960x600
Bump

We are using GCS for the Character Sheets

Is it a good idea to leave the equipment space blank and keep track of items with pencil and paper?
>>
>>46837603
No? I mean unless you are willing to ignore encumbrance or calculate it manually.
>>
>>46837603
Why more people don't use GCA? It's MILES better
>>
>>46837603
>>46837687

I'd love to have some kind of way to have GCS character sheets synced up somehow. So as a GM I can add and remove stuff so players can see it, look at things without players seeing, and so on.

Basically I want GCS roll20 integration or something.
>>
>>46831722
It sounds like you're basically re-inventing The Last Gasp.

A simpler alternative is to just subtract 1 FP after a battle if you think the character over-exerted themselves, or 2 FP if they really went nuts.
>>
I remember seeing an unarmed combat technique that acts like a RoF 50 ranged attack (i.e. the number of hits is the attacker's margin of success-defender's margin of success), but I can't remember where it was. I think it was an issue of Pyramid. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>46838138
It's a power up for Dungeon Fantasy Martial Artists. If it's not in any of the main series books, check the Way of the Warrior issue of Pyramid; IIRC, it has an article dedicated to power ups for Knights, barbarians, swashbucklers, etc.
>>
>>46837867
Because it's shittier, clunkier, slower.
Its only advantage over GCS is the extensive library, and libraries are slowly released and added to GCS nowadays anyway, it won't be long until GCS is plain better for everything.
>>
>>46839170
GCS UI is ridiculously clunky, unintuitive and shittier. I can do a sheet in GCA 20x faster than in GCS
>>
File: bob_0.png (455 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
bob_0.png
455 KB, 640x430
>>46839170
>>46839361

>opinions

Come on GURPSfriends, we're pluralistic here. Use whatever programs/aids/optional rules that makes you happy.
>>
>>46839361
I think you might just be a bit.. slow. I figured out GCS's UI on my own in about five minutes.
>>
>>46839702
I think he'd just have been one of those people complaining computers now have mice when the keyboard alone already works so well.
>>
>>46839702
>>46839815
I'm complaining about the fact that everything written in the sheet is so small and I can't zoom in. I don't like how this program makes the work are into a print preview. It's clunky and annoying as shit to work with. That's why I prefer GCA. The UI has a helluva lot more options and I can customize it to however I like it. I specially like how everything is set up in tabs.
>>
>>46840052
Meant work area*
>>
>>46837867
>Why more people don't use GCA
Dont you have to pay for that shit?
>>
File: moot knows it.png (54 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
moot knows it.png
54 KB, 300x100
>>46841245
>pay
>>
>>46830112
>How to be a GURPS GM
Where can I find it?
>>
>>46841390
Check the OP. There's the Archive link there.
>>
>>46841437
The search function of Mega sucks. It only searches for the name of the folders, not of the files.
>>
>>46841437
Looks like they might be onto us. THeres a copyright claim for How To be a GURPS GM on 4chan. Its not possible to upload it.
>>
>>46841530
It's funny, the one book that could encourage more people to actually get into GURPS, and they don't want it to spread...
>>
>>46841530
If someone has a program that can edit pdfs, you could try making an insignificant edit like adding an innocuous space somewhere or changing the font size of one letter slightly, that won't mess up the formatting or anything, but would technically make it appear like a different file, then maybe you can upload it?
>>
File: 1460639541080.png (8 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
1460639541080.png
8 KB, 220x229
>>46841722
GURPS lite is great for a entry level GURPS game. I kind of feel SJG, especially since a lot of people here have been hollering for a lot of new supplements (vehicles). And they don't make much money off of GURPS now in days, presumably because of the pirating.

They need to realize though that everything they try and enforce copyright on here will just be put up somewhere else.

And that most supplements are necessary. I think SJG is trying to Jew the shit out of people who do pay to make up for the people who don't pay...

Thats why I just pay for the basic set and a few of the more important hardocvers.

Steve Jackson is batshit if he thinks anyone on this planet would pay for all the GURPS supplements that are out there.
>>
>>46841901
As a proviso I'll support Mook and his book, but unfortunately he's down on the list a bit, and I hate paying for PDFs; Mooks a really great person for helping people get into GURPS and his site has a lot of free info, so Its worth it to help support him.

Paying for PDFs though...
>>
>>46841944
Just saw on Ospreys website they think its a good deal if you buy the physical book and pdf/epub together and get 25% off both.

Which is absurd, if an ebook version is available it should be included free with the printed book. They will pirate it anyway if they want a digital reference copy.
>>
>>46841901
Honestly, their main problem is that the completely fucked up the organization, presentation, and marketing of 4th Edition, but now they don't have the money to do a 5th Edition. If they did a 5th and had it organized so that the core rules are small, simple and easy to get into, with more advanced stuff as optional extra books, then they'd do much better. Might not even require a 5th Edition, they could just do a re-release of 4th but just have it organized and marketed better.
>>
File: 1459051514083.jpg (41 KB, 640x258) Image search: [Google]
1459051514083.jpg
41 KB, 640x258
>>46842541
>reformatted reprint of 4th ed rules
>2 column text, not 3
>categorical advantages section, with alphabetical subsections
>checklist examples of rules for X, Y, Z campaign themes and genres
>all combat rules in one section
HNG
>>
>>46842541
Agreed. My biggest issue is that with how massive the two books to begin with they still felt compelled to include the completely setting specific Vanilla magic section and the not that useful psi section. Yea mind reading is a psi power, not shit Sherlock.
>>
>>46837867
>implying I use non-free software
>implying I'm ever playing non-free RPGs
GURPS lite and GCS is enough for everyone.
>>
File: 1458153429317.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458153429317.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>46843761
>being content with bare bones everything
>>
>>46843528
>all these references in splatbooks that no longer point to the right page
That would be fun.
>>
>>46843963
That really kills the possibility that this will ever happen. They can't touch the basic set without going full 5E.
>>
>>46843963
>>46844005
4e Rules Compendium?
>>
>>46843528
That would have been great.

>>46843705
Yeah, a simple generic Powers system to cover any kind of supernatural abilities would have made far more sense in the Basic Set.

>>46843963
Yeah, sadly that's why it would likely have to be a 5th Edition, followed by 5th Edition reworks of every other book. Not gonna happen for a long time, if ever. Though, maybe they could do it if they did a Kickstarter or something to raise funds for it.

Although, sudden inspiration strikes: What if the reprint book had a massive table at the end where it lists all the page references found in splat books and the corresponding new pages in the reprint. Like for example, looking at a random page in Tactical Shooting, it has a reference on page 28 to the Cover DR section on B559. So in the reprint's reference table, in one column it would list something like "Tactical Shooting, 28: Cover DR (B559)", and then in the corresponding column it would list the page (or pages) where this is covered in the reprint. Also this table could be broken up into smaller tables for each splatbook for easier reference. Not exactly ideal, but it could work.

>>46844020
That could work too, but it would be pretty massive and might scare even more people away.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
21 KB, 470x313
>>46839543
>posting God and telling people to be courteous to one another

You're the best kind of GURPSfriend
>>
>>46844105
Oh, also... the PDFs of splatbooks could just have their page references updated since they're PDFs.
>>
I was so sure there was an Advantage that gave you a bonus* against certain types of foes, but for the life of me I can't remember.

*I don't remember if it was bonus to damage or what.
>>
>>46845559
Oh shit

Higher purpose? Man you're taxing my brain too
>>
>>46845992
Higher purpose could work, considering one of the examples given is "Slay all demons".
If that's not it, it sounds similar to the DnD-rangers racially-profiled-serial-killer-trait, so it might be in dungeon fantasy somewhere.
>>
Can somebody, please, in a simple way, the lifting rules? The basic lift stuff in the character creation section makes no sense to me.
>>
>>46846523
You can, in one second and with one hand, lift anything that weights equal to or less than your BL.
You can, in two seconds and with one hand, lift anything that weights equal to or less than your BLx2.
You can, in four seconds and using both hands, lift anything that weights equal to or less than your BLx8.
>>
>>46846709
Oh. So that doesn't say for how long you can do it?
>>
>>46846747
Nope. It's up to the GM to judge what's sensible. The expanded lifting rules on p.353 states that you loos 1 FP per second carrying extra heavy lifting(over BLx10, more than you can actually lift of the ground on your own.)
>>
>>46846523
Basic Lift determines your encumbrance limits: the stronger you are, the more you can carry without being slowed down.

Carrying gear that weighs, in total, up to but not exceeding your BL has no effect on your Basic Move or Dodge.
Carrying gear weighing up to, but not exceeding, 2x Your BL multiplies your Move by 0.8, and subtracts 1 from your Dodge score (keep in mind that Dodge is calculated from Speed, not Move).
Greater levels of encumbrance (larger multiples of BL) reduce your Move and Dodge further.

So, say you have Basic Speed 6, which gives you Move 6, and Dodge 9 (Dodge = Speed + 3), and Basic Lift 20.
You're carrying a backpack with a couple of bits in it (6 lbs.), a gun(8 lbs.), and you're wearing some armour (5 lbs.) - your encumbrance is (6+8+5=) 19 lbs. This is less than 1 * BL (20 lbs.), so you're not encumbered at all.

Now, you pick up a couple (2) of small grenades, each weighing 0.5 lbs. Your total Encumbrance goes up to 20 lbs, but this is still under the 1 * BL threshold, so you're still unencumbered.

Later, you toss one of the grenades, so your encumbrance goes down to 19.5 lbs - still unencumbered. Then you find a bundle of rope with a grappling hook, which weighs a total of 4 lbs, and stow it in your pack. Your encumbrance now totals 23.5 lbs. - that's over 1 * BL, but under 2 * BL, so you're now 'Lightly Encumbered". This means you reduce your Dodge by 1, to 8, and multiply your Move by 0.8 (6 * 0.8 = 4.8, but you must drop the fraction!) to Move 4.
>>
What magic system would be recomended for a Warframe-style game (each character gets one broad style of magic to use)?
>>
>>46847637
Sorcery has limitations to the 'theme' of spells you can use, I think, it's been a while since I read it. Alternatively, you can just use Powers.
>>
How often do you spend FP on a character without Magery? (or the other advantages that substitute for Magery)
>>
How Alternative Abilities work?
Say i have an IA Machigun with IA Shotgun as AA.
I can on turn (1) Minigun Spray and then on turn (2) Shotgun Pounding?
Or i should use Ready on turn (2) to Shotgun Pounding on turn (3)?
>>
>>46849041
If your GM allows in-combat uses of Extra Effort, fairly often. The benefits (including getting All Out Attack: Strong without losing defenses, or halving the penalties for Rapid Attack) are pretty useful, especially in a pinch.

Otherwise, in my experience, most FP loss is through various forms of exertion, which won't likely come up unless it's a focus of the story... like a long overland march in rough terrain, or traveling through a desert, or something like that.
>>
>>46849211
From my understanding, you can use them one after the other, you just can't use them on the same turn... for example, you couldn't use an All Out Attack: Double to use both the minigun and the shotgun in the same turn.

But I could be wrong, the AA rules do seem a little vague in places.
>>
Does anyone else here find that Extra Effort makes combats take way too long? Feverish Defense is a helluva drug.
>>
>>46849284
I'm glad my book-only understanding is in line with your experience.
Very much looking forward to getting to play, thank you.
>>
>>46849284
>All Out Attack: Strong without losing defenses
This is what Committed Attack: Strong is for.
>>
>>46849354
Not really. Even if your GM uses extra effort for average mook types, that might save them a round or two, but it'll also drain their FP, which is just another way to get them down. Plus, +2 to a defense that's already low isn't going to be a huge deal. It also doesn't help against attacks where you don't get a defense at all, and most mooks tend to All Out Attack (which is the suggested maneuver to represent how a low-skill combatant usually fights).

If it's used for a more powerful enemy, it can definitely allow them to last longer... which is a good thing, because a powerful enemy should be a longer, more involved fight.
>>
>>46849428
You still suffer a -2 penalty to defense, can't parry with the weapon you used to attack, and you only get half the damage bonus.
>>
>>46849330
Yeah.
At the moment we use "turn (1) Minigun Spray and then on turn (2) Shotgun Pounding" variant, but players start doubting with that.
>>
>>46849284
>>46849041

We've got an after the end game going where everyone is pretty much down some lasting fatigue damage at all times.

>>46849354
>>46849459

Going from Dodge 8 to Dodge 10 with feverish defense really helps though, as it takes you from 25..9% to 50% chance to dodge.
>>
>>46844208

Yeah, it'd be a big task, but it's very much doable. If you keep a master list of corrections, then most of the reference changes will be known by the time you're a couple of supplements down.

Requires the 5th or 4.5e book to be finalized though - you can't even start it before then.
>>
Says a lot about the system when the vast majority of the fans want nothing but better formatting out of a new edition.

I mean what major improvements to the system itself could they actually make?
>>
>>46852444
>major
Dunno. But I have a couple small ones.
Fix thrust/swing damage difference. I believe alternative strength from some pyramid did it well enough.
As other anon said, default magic should be universal, not dnd-oriented grimoire.
Wealth. Do anyone of you really played with that much difference in wealth between characters? Something like in After the End with guidelines for different TLs and playstyles would work better for vast majority of the games.
Dice deck should be default way to play because fuck you
>>
>>46852444
>>46852582

I'd like an entire chapter devoted to optional rules, rather than a single page focused on combat. There are a lot of great rules hidden in sideboxes around the Basic Set and splatbooks and having a bunch in one place would be nice.
>>
>>46852582
>>46852444
More comprehensive detection/stealth rules.
High DR is too overpriced, it should increase exponentially, probably based on range table. Also using range table for RoF bonuses - not only it makes one less table to keep track of, it also makes 3-round bursts actually useful.
>>
>>46852717

>using range table for RoF bonuses

This sounds interesting - can you elaborate a bit more?
>>
>>46852582
And what is 'universal' magic?

'Wizard learns spells from book then casts them' is about the most generic kind of magic.
>>
>>46852775
"Wizards cast random shit at will" is more popular trope in media in my expirience.
>>
>>46852774
http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com/2013/08/using-size-modifier-table-for-rapid.html
Basically, you take the number of shots, look it on Range/Speed column, then use corresponding SM as RoF bonus. There is also some additional stuff on making sure that more shots hit if you have really high RoF, but I think things work perfectly good even without it.
>>
>>46853018
That took me a minute to wrap my head around, but it's actually pretty cool. Seems to work pretty well, without randomly selected rof bonuses.
>>
>>46853018

When I took a look at the Speed/Range table, I got as far as yards = number of bullets and SM = bonus myself. It inflates the bonus for rapid fire slightly but I think that's okay, since I felt the rapid fire bonuses were actually a little low. I'm not entirely convinced about the Margin of Recoil stuff, though. It feels like an extra step that'll break combat flow.

I came up with a quick-and-dirty edit to sum up the rules, remove the Margin of Recoil concept and simplify the dodging rules:

>Bonuses for rapid fire are taken from the Speed/Range Table (Basic Set p. 550). Look up the number of rounds you fired in the Linear Measurement column and look at the corresponding SM column. This is your bonus to hit. If the number falls between two categories, use the lower one. For example, firing 3 shots gives +1, firing 12 shots gives +4, etc.
>When dodging a single attack with multiple shots, you also use the same table. Find your Margin of Success for the Dodge roll and look it up in the Size column. The number of shots you successfully dodge is the number in the Linear Measurement column, minus 1. For example, with a MoS of 0, 1 shot can be dodged. With a MoS of 1, 2 shots can be dodged. With a MoS of 3, 6 shots can be dodged, etc.

Seem okay?
>>
>>46853555
Hmmm, I was thinking more about just using vanilla rules (I didn't liked that Margin of Recoil stuff either), except with RoF bonuses coming from Range table, but your idea seems interesting, though I'm not sure that it wouldn't make dodging too easy.
>>
>>46853621

The issue I saw was that with inflated rapid fire bonuses, more shots will hit. Without some change in dodge to compensate, rapid fire is just a turbokill button.

...which might be what you want, I guess. It's just not my thing.
>>
If you remove margin of recoil it upsets the balance between weapons AND makes things less realistic.

A FAL is much harder to keep on target in full auto than an M16 which will in turn be harder than a laser rifle with effectively no recoil. And if you want to try and hip fire an M2 it should be harder still to keep shots on target.
>>
>>46853555

Recoil is kind of an important stat. It makes sense that a .38 revolver is easier to keep a handle of when popping off multiple rounds than a revolver firing .500 S&W.
>>
>>46853791
>>46853837

My edit doesn't remove recoil though - just the "Margin of Recoil" stat. Recoil still affects how many shots hit the target as it does normally.
>>
>>46853791
>>46853837
No one is talking about removing recoil, you doofuses.
>>
>>46853882
Basically what >46853686 says.

If you use the Size Mod table and Margin of Recoil, but still do dodge the standard way, more shots will still connect.

The aim of these houserules is to bring the Rapid Fire bonuses into closer alignment with standard GURPS sizing rules, not necessarily to make Rapid Fire more effective.
>>
>>46854131

I'm the anon that wrote both those posts you referenced. And I can't tell whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
>>
>>46854228
I was agreeing with the second post: it makes high RoF much more lethal.
I wouldn't do it. Either use the standard rules or the "margin of recoil" houserules, but don't alter either.
>>
>>46854662

But that was my point. Altering the dodge rules to use the Speed/Range table allows you to dodge more hits when facing rapid fire. Both systems get modified the same way, so they should be equivalent?
>>
>>46854068
You do realize that the recoil stat only applies to Margin of Recoil game mechanic correct?

Without MoR, recoil in and of itself is useless.
>>
>>46855728
No it's not correct. Recoil stat is used in vanilla rules.
>>
>>46855797
Post reference.
>>
>>46855797
Margin of Recoil is in the vanilla rules you flaming tard.

Unless you're referring to GURPS-Lite, which simplified some of the Vanilla rules and left out MoR intentionally

Either way you're retarded.
>>
File: GADnLIp.jpg (71 KB, 1659x931) Image search: [Google]
GADnLIp.jpg
71 KB, 1659x931
Hey GURPSfriends. I like Dungeon Fantasy. I don't like bullying. Let's enjoy GURPS together.
>>
>>46855920

It's in the rules in the sense of "your margin of success divided by recoil" but there's no technical term for it and it's not used anywhere else. Applying it to anything but the number of hits scored is only in No School Grognard's post.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>
>>46856729
What is wrong with people like you?

Why are you so horribly offended when people disagree or correct someone else's mistake?
>>
>>46853018
What's RoF bonus? I don't remember reading about in the core books.
>>
File: 1460760722917.jpg (239 KB, 776x1029) Image search: [Google]
1460760722917.jpg
239 KB, 776x1029
>>46856910
Different anon, anon
I'm just pointing out the futility of arguing with an idiot online.

Modifying rate of fire bonuses to match in line with size/speed/range is a neat idea.

The inflation of bonuses is arguably manageable (as any instance where firing thirty rounds gets a +1 shouldn't be your contention point. Mini guns and assault weapons are already deadly).

The interaction with recoil? Non issue. I don't know what the other guy was even trying to argue: he may have confused or misread the acronyms :/
>>
>>46856962
Rate of fire bonus: shooting more shots in one attack, and getting a statistical bonus based on the 'shotgun' approach. You're more likely to hit at least once, if you fire multiple projectiles in one burst
>>
>>46856679
When did anybody here talked shit about Dungeon Fantasy, though?
>>
>>46857029
Where is it on the books? I seriously cannot find it.
>>
>>46857030
I just wanted to say I like Dungeon Fantasy. ;3~
>>
>>46857074
Rate of fire 270, 373
Right in the index man.
>>
>>46857392
I searched for "rate of fire bonus" and the pdf game me nothing. Guess that was my mistake.
>>
>>46857448
Ah yeah, when you search text for something as specific as that, I can see how it didn't work.
Text searches in these scans are hit and miss; when in doubt, go to the actual printed index. You should be fine.
>>
I found a mention of Rapier Wit being enhanced with Heart Attack, found it in some fan built abilities. But I can't find any actual rules that say you can do that. Am I missing it somewhere?
>>
>>46857530
>But I can't find any actual rules that say you can do that.
Gurps saves time by assuming you can do whatever you want (within the limits of the rules and gm approval).

I'm assuming they linked the "heart attack" in with the actual advantage modifier Linked, and paired it that way. Heart attack is an Affliction status, afaik
>>
>>46857501
Yeah, I was thinking there was going to be a phrase somewhere to give me a clue.
>>
>>46857592
It's more that the coding used to parse selective text is weird. Searching for strings of characters is always hit and miss, I find. Better to use "rate of" or "fire bonus", rather than the whole lengthy string.
>>
File: The GURPS Reich.jpg (95 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
The GURPS Reich.jpg
95 KB, 610x458
>>
>>46856723
>It's in the rules in the sense of "your margin of success divided by recoil
So its not in the rules, you just read it into the rules because you are a smarmy faggot. Good for you that you want to run your shit homebrew, but don't go confusing people when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>46857005
I was arguing that taking out MoR and leaving recoil stat in is pointless since Recoil stat is used solely to determine hits scored based on MoR.

And you (or other anon) can't seem to understand such a simple concept.
>>
>>46860844
>>46860806
Holy shit guys
>>
File: tumblr_m4ru1nnjhU1rx1tx1o1_500.png (190 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4ru1nnjhU1rx1tx1o1_500.png
190 KB, 500x384
>>46860806

Anon, I was saying that it isn't in the rules. I'm the one who doesn't like it and wants to get rid of it. Perhaps I should have phrased it better. But please calm down.

>>46861559

What is with the generals this week? Everyone seems angry. Can't we all just be happy little GURPSfriends?
>>
File: 1457471078045.jpg (67 KB, 500x702) Image search: [Google]
1457471078045.jpg
67 KB, 500x702
>>46862561
People get cross sometimes. It's just a chance to be nice in return.
>>
Ultra-Tech lists some laser types as being umavailable for chemical lasers. Is this a physics limitation or a game limitation? Got an undersea horror game where chemical blue-green lasers would be useful and in line with existing tech, but they're not chemical laser available.
>>
>>46862561
>post to say it's in the rules
>posts again to say he never said it was in the rules

These GURPS troll threads need to stop
>>
>>46862561
>What is with the generals this week? Everyone seems angry. Can't we all just be happy little GURPSfriends?
maybe finals are coming up or something? I dunno, I graduated so it's not my problem.
>>
>>46808633
>Least favorite rule?
The fact they didnt used linear dice
>>
>>46863237
Is there any lewd with her?
>>
>Enchants a magic staff – see Magic Staffs (p. 240) for details. Though many magic items must be in the form of a wand or staff, they do not have to
have this spell on them. Cost: 30. Prerequisites: Enchant
>B481

What exactly does this mean? How is this different from enchanting a staff with another spell?
>>
>>46867468
I think B240 explains it pretty sufficiently. It simply let's you cast spells from a staff as if the staff is your hand, which for the most part, just means that your arm is an extra yard longer, and usually helps a teeny bit with distance penalties.
>>
File: security officer marathon.jpg (147 KB, 1100x990) Image search: [Google]
security officer marathon.jpg
147 KB, 1100x990
Does anyone has pdf of GURPS Marathon?
>>
>>46867728
Ah, so it turns the staff into a casting aid? I also read the B240 as well and wasn't really understanding.
>>
>>46867935
Yeah exactly, it probably could've been better worded as in "Enchants staff into magic staff", but that's pretty much what I got out of it.

A normal staff or wand then becomes a casting aid as discussed in B240
>>
File: Adler.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Adler.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Making a villain for a cinematic WWII campaign on the Eastern Front. Ex-Security Service, now in the Waffen-SS. All Nazi villains now live in the shadow of Landa, and I'd like your thoughts on him.

And holy shit is IQ 15 crazy. I never realized it until I designed this guy.
>>
>>46869524
>IQ 15 is crazy

Yeah I think GURPS recommends a cap on Primary Stats at 15 for baseline humans in the Char creation rules.
>>
>>46867282
I don't think so, sorry.

>>46869668
You can cap stats at 14 in general, other then ST where there's no real point in capping it (given it's a bad investment and it's hard to judge just how high a human could get).
>>
>>46869524
>implying Nazis were villains
>>
>>46869524
Is he supposed to be a threat because of his potential as a leader and genus, or is he supposed to directly threaten them?

His big beautiful brain could be splattered all over the ground by a ten cent bullet. His stats are nice, but unless he has some kind of exotic defense not reflected in his stats he won't last long in direct combat.

At his most dangerous is behind the lines commanding his army of goons. I'd be tempted to make him unpopular with high command, seen as a threat and a rival, partly because after the first rush of success being scent to the eastern front was something of a punishment.
>>
Thinking of doing a game focused around 'aliums' and conspiracy theories. Any suggestions for books that I might find of use?
>>
>>46876827
GURPS Illuminati and GURPS Black Ops are a fun read.
>>
File: 1402477385853.jpg (223 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1402477385853.jpg
223 KB, 640x960
>>46876827
GURPS conspiracy X is my first thought. Beyond that you gotta have high tech for modern junk and GURPS Black Ops is fun to x-files inspired stuff.

Those are 3rd edition sorucebooks though. You can convert easy.

>Alien picture related.
>>
How to make a good character?
>>
>>46877244
Make sure he has good variety of skills. Don't overspecialize, it's not a D&D 3.5
>>
>>46877244
Mechanically speaking, a good variety of skills with stats, talents, and advantages to back them up.
RP wise, make sure he's got a personality and backstory, and reinforce that with suitable disadvantages.
>>
>>46877244
Some stuff to consider:
Combat reflexes are a must for combat characters.
If you have a combat character, make sure he has at least one grappling skill, one ranged skill (Guns if they are available, otherwise take Crossbow or Thrown Weapon if your character is not a designated ranged fighter, Bow or Sling if you want to specialize in ranged combat) and one melee skill that has good improvised weapons (such as Axe/Mace or Knife).
Fit is a good advantage. I don't really like Very Fit and prefer to take +1 HT instead, but it has some minor advantages.
Take Hard To Subdue or Hard To Kill if you want to spend some spare points - HTK is better if you really like your character and don't want him to die, HTS is better if you want your character to stay in combat as long as possible.
Berserk is a good way to get your character killed.
If Allies are allowed, take one. Dog ally is really useful - not so much in combat, but to track things, serve as sentry or intimidate someone.
I can't think of any character who shouldn't have First Aid skill. Well, except for ones who have Physician skill.
>>
File: 3712-934x.jpg (61 KB, 800x706) Image search: [Google]
3712-934x.jpg
61 KB, 800x706
>>46877451
>>46877383
>>46877244

My advice for new players is to work in rounds.

In round 1;
Try to figure out what sort of character you want to play. A hard bitten detective, secret agent, ex-solider turned Mafia hitman, wandering justice seeking swordsman, ect.

Buy Combat Reflexes and pick what skill you will use to kill someone, if you have to kill someone. Put 20 points into it.

Round 2:
Spend 20-50% of the points you have left on attributes and advantages that work like attributes (fit, ect). If you are stumped how to spend points HT 12 and DX 12 cost 60 points and makes you tough, with a basic speed of 6 and a quite respectable dodge of 10.

Next pick other skills critical to your character's concept and spend 4 to 8 points on them. Investigation for detectives, Survival for Bear Grils, Shield for a Knight, whatever you've got planned.

Round 3:

Buy advantages and pick your disadvantages. Try not to buy advantages that you could more cheaply get the effects of by increasing a skill. If you want to powergame any non-phobia mental disadvantage with a 15 Self Control number is pretty much free points.

Adjust your secondary attributes. Think about more HP or Perception, they can keep you alive and don't cost too much.

Pick secondary skills. Put 1 or 2 points into these. This is stuff you want to be able to do if it comes up but won't be your ass if you fuck up, these also show who the character is. Grab Housekeeping, Forced Entry, Hiking, Climbing, Stealth and Drive or Riding

Buy any magic or crazy stuff your ST is allowing.

Round 4: Pick some quirks, grab perks that look useful out of Martial Arts and check the gear list for any Must Have. You might be able to buy it with the points from quirks.

Go back audit what you have so far. See if there's anything you really don't care much about you can drop to free up points, then finish up spending your points.
>>
>>46877494
First Aid is a garbage skill if there's any kind of healing magic around.

Rapid Healing is good. Very Rapid Healing is bullshit.

Berserk's trigger conditions, without Bad Temper, is so rare that anything but a low SC number will never come up.
>>
>>46877494
>>46877666

It's always worth chucking a single point in First Aid, if you've got one to spare. What if you're alone and out of potions? Or your healmage is unconscious and bleeding out? Basic-level proficiency costs next to nothing and can save a person's life.
>>
>>46877244
You don't make the character, the character makes you.

Think of an archetype and find the advantages/disadvantages/skills that fit that type.

Then flesh out your character by adding more skills/perks that help you roleplay your chars personality.
>>
>>46872524

The main thing is to make him a little different from previous Kraut antagonists. Hopefully he stands out.

>>46875038

Oh, no, he's absolutely the evil mastermind villain. He's decent in combat, but his preferred method is to throw mooks at the players.

PCs are resistance fighters. He's nabbed their leader. They're rescuing him. Very simple.

I also did imagine him as being thrown out of the Security Service for pissing off somebody somehow and was assigned to the 36th, the SS penal battalion, who the PCs will be facing.
>>
Anyone run a campaign with this yet?
>>
>>46877666
First Aid is still important, it stabilises people and lets you use your magical healing more wisely.
>>
>>46879262
wtf am i looking at?
>>
>>46880007
A non-English rap album with a coincidental title in a foreign tongue. That, or the most radical approach to splat books ever written.
>>
Does GURPS has a good, big fantasy monsters bestiary. Dungeon Fantasy - Monsters is so small, is like a joke.
>>
File: NatEnc.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
NatEnc.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46882155
Here's a big unofficial one. It has a few issues, but there's a lot there. I'm going through the list on my blog statting out the difficulties using the CER system.
>>
>>46882155
There are some more for 3e.
And then somebody on the forums wrote this, it's fiiine:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9pdv6fffj8lnvgq/Mailanka+Templates.pdf
>>
>>46882351
What's the CER system?
>>
>>46882428

Carryover from the D&D Alignment system. "C"haotic "E"vil aka. "R"etard evil.
>>
>>46882351
>World Book two
Where is the first one?
>>
>>46882428
Combat effectiveness rating. It's in pyramid 3/77. It's a little like CR from d&d but the numbers are a lot bigger, and split into offense and defense ratings. It's used to tell if a monster would be strong enough to count as a boss or for character point rewards in Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
File: GURPS 23.png (44 KB, 495x308) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 23.png
44 KB, 495x308
>>
>>46883929
>Illuminati Games
>Fnords
Spoopy
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (182 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
182 KB, 500x650
So, any good ideas on how to use the THS setting? Or, to put it another way: I'm a big fan of Eclipse Phase, but I want to try something slightly different and am somewhat annoyed by EP's mechanics. What campaigns make good use of THS material?
>>
>>46886634
I heard it's good for space operas, but I never played it myself.
>>
>>46886634
I've always wanted to do a campaign in that setting, but the problem is it's so hugely different and out there that you really have a lot of new stuff to absorb before you can figure out what is even going on. I think the best way to start would be to have a very focused campaign in a specific place, perhaps a place where the technology is not too far off from the modern world so it's easier to relate to, and then you can gradually branch off from there. That's been my plan anyway, but I have yet to get a group together to try it. I think there was a Pyramid article suggesting something like that too.
>>
I'd like to try this game, but the books are daunting and most of the people I know who want to try tabletop RPGs would rather just play DnD.
>>
>>46888422
GURPS Lite and Dungeon Fantasy, friend.
>>
File: GURPS Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46888422
Have a free distilled 32-page GURPS, friend.
>>
>>46888395
I play (and love) Eclipse Phase. "A lot of stuff to absorb" isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned. What I have a problem with is "okay, having read THS and In The Well, how can I turn this into an actual game".

I can do that in Eclipse Phase. Pick a spot in EP's Solar System, there's instantly opportunities for adventure and plots and Things Happening. In THS, I can...I don't know. Let's say the moon. What does a Luna campaign look like?
>>
>>46888717
There's some ideas in Pyramid 3-15 Transhuman Space, and Pyramid 3-62 Transhuman Space II.
>>
File: 1458424768488.jpg (642 KB, 2560x1138) Image search: [Google]
1458424768488.jpg
642 KB, 2560x1138
My group got to reach a big climax fight this weekend; they've been adventuring for weeks irl, and everything points to the bad guys being holed up in this place.

They kick in the door with a cannon. They start murdering dudes left and right.
They face down a massive SM+2 orge in armor, and melt one of his legs off with acid.

All told, lots of fun and theyrelated halfway through things there. Big shout out to my homies on roll20 playing GrimWyrd; I wouldn't be gaming without you!
>>
Hey anyone get a copy of the original GURPS reign of steel book to share?
>>
>>46864138
It's a technical limitation. Blue-green lasers are very short wavelength (470-550 nanometers) while chemical laser weapons are much longer wavelength.
>>
File: conclusion_by_marfrey-d7420re.jpg (84 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
conclusion_by_marfrey-d7420re.jpg
84 KB, 600x911
>>46890096
It was a great game!

I ended up running back and fourth knocking down orcs while our glass-cannon wizard guy limped up slow and ended up in -perfect- position to get off an AoE shot on the second wave of enemies. The Super Dwarf Fortress brothers swept the ramparts clear with gunfire, then an ogre got melted.
>>
File: 1457637232535.png (172 KB, 507x454) Image search: [Google]
1457637232535.png
172 KB, 507x454
>>46890944
Incidentally; I forgot you could running shield bash. Quite delighted to see you throwing around several dice of velocity, shrugging off the murdered mooks.
>>
When you take the disadvantage Enemy, do you have to choose its power, intent and frequency or some of these three are optional?
>>
>>46891410
Non-optional. Frequency and intent are multipliers for the power, so they're required to get the final point cost.
>>
>>46891410
They are part of the core calculation of the disadvantage value, so no they are not optional.

As a gm, though, I tend to build the enemy with player input.
>>
>>46890874
Just to add to that though, if your campaign doesn't care about "realism" according to the modern understanding of these things, and you want to just do it anyway and make up some technobabble about how they did it, then I say run with it.
>>
I want to make a faerie character that can throw a fireball that is actually an illusion. The fireball causes no actual damage but everyone thinks it did. The illusion can be dispelled by cold iron. Obviously I would use innate attack for the fireball but how would I do the illusion part? I do want it to be able affect multiple people at the same time.
>>
>>46892334
You mean you want it to be a multi-censorial illusion?
>>
>>46892712
I think so. I checked the illusion advantage in GURPS Powers but that said it shouldn't hurt people or even fake hurt them unless you took both mental and Stigmata but then you can only affect one person at a time and I didn't see anything about dispelling the illusion. Actually that makes the injuries real which is not what I want.
>>
>>46892783
Affliction (Hallucinations) of some sort with linked Illusion?
>>
>>46892814
what about affliction (Delusion)?
>>
>>46892841
That works well. Delusion (I'M ON FIRE), [-15], and... a linked Illusion with Extended (Touch), area effect/ranged, limited to only making illusory fire? Not sure about the accessibility limitation on that.

I'm not too sure on this, never really messed with illusion before, or making shadow fireballs or whatever these are.
>>
>>46892841
I don't think hallucinations would work as that seems to just make you crazy but Delusion (injured) would work. And I recall seeing something about powers being conferred by mundane objects, such as could iron, being worth -20% I think that's just what I need. Thanks!
>>
And thinking about it, if you add independence to illusion you could make it so they look burned too.
>>
>>46890858
i have a copy but it's too big for 4chan and I don't like registering for shit. where do I upload this thing?
>>
>>46893632
check op's file. upload it to Mega
>>
>>46890858
>>46893632
Isn't it already in archive?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.