[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think f Michael Kirkbride and his godly lore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11
File: images (13).jpg (7 KB, 233x216) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
7 KB, 233x216
What does /tg/ think f Michael Kirkbride and his godly lore? I figured if anyone on 4chan would appreciate this, it would be you guys.
>>
fucking pretentious stoner with a dark elf muatra up his ass
>>
pretty cool guy. I like how his lore treats gameplay stuff as part of the in-universe lore.
>>
>>46807959
Hes better than you.
>>
>>46807932
It's shit and I'm glad it's been removed from later games.
>>
>>46807932
He's an overly pretentious fuck, who thinks he's smart because he uses the word "metaphysics". This whole CHIM thing being fourth wall awareness is essentially a Deadpool thing. CHIM makes me angry.
>>
>>46808555
>CHIM being fourth wall awareness
It's really not
>>
>>46808589
don't bother.
>>
Todd Howard is still a game director. Kirkbride spends his time making dumb fanfiction about his favourite elf freak.
>>
>muh kirkbride
>muh chim
>muh deepest lore

Kill yourselves.

It reads like a 16 year old just discovering philosophy for the first time.
>>
>>46807932
Isn't that the guy that threatened to kill a guy while he slept at a forum?
>>
File: they pre ordered.jpg (142 KB, 780x763) Image search: [Google]
they pre ordered.jpg
142 KB, 780x763
>>46808653
this.
Todd makes games beloved by millions.
Kirkbride writes weird shit.
>>
>>46807932
Pretty good. He was the best thing to happen to the series, and the games and lore got significantly worse after he left Bethesda.
>>
>>46808589
Whatever it is it sounds stupid as hell.

Nothing ruins a fantasy like saying "it's all a dreeeam" :^o It takes away all sense of conflict, danger, and relatability to the setting. Nothing matters anymore because it's just some fagnut dragon's imagination.

Not the guy you replied to btw.
>>
>>46808674
The idea is implemented beautifully in the lore though.
>>
>>46807932
Kirkbride thinks he's hot shit and instead has hot shit for brains.

His lore is cool, the cult around it is not.

I prefer Borges himself.

BTW, did he manage to actually make something of his own, even publish it?
>>
>>46808942
>His lore is cool, the cult around it is not.
/thread
>>
>>46807932
>Being into vidya for some eragon-tier lore written by a pretentious dork.
>>
>>46808983
>being into tabletop for some eragon tier lore written by a bunch of bong suits
>>
I don't know a lot about who wrote what parts of TES lore, but Kirkbride seems like a huge dick with a inflated ego whose output is mostly fanfiction tier shit

It's clear that if he actually had any influence over the creative process by the time of Skyrim the Aldmer would have been a race of gods. There's one post in another site where he tells about an idea he had for Skyrim but which obviously didn't get into the game, where the Aldmeri Dominion had literally killed Talos and any attempt to reproduce the image of the Amulet of Kings would result in some sort of explosion.

>Ex: A bard, knowing the "cracking diamond effect", attempts to describe the symbol in verse, to avoid the physical danger. He performs the verse to a crowd of secret Talos worshipers. They begin to see the diamond in their minds and are overjoyed. Then the screaming starts. Two hours later, a throng of headless corpses are found, strewn diamond-pattern in a courtyard. Other worshipers arrive to look on them, seeing a sign of their god in the bodies of his martyrs. Crowds gather at this holy site. Dominion lets the hope set in, declares small doubt in the finality of Talos' erasure. People go "whoa" and flock to the site. Thalmor button is pressed. The new settlement blows up as anything around the diamond shape regards it in a chain-reaction explosion of viscera, language, spellfire. Half a province surrenders to the Thalmor.

He has a Tolkien hateboner too which is a huge red flag for shitty fantasy writers.
>>
>>46808653
You do know the two get along now and sometimes Todd or other people directly in charge of the games contact Kirkbride or just include callouts to his stuff on their own?
>>
File: DpRExVZ.png (78 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
DpRExVZ.png
78 KB, 2000x2000
>>46809145
>replying to a shitpost
>>
>>46809188
Sorry anon, I don't really know how you guys shitpost in the /tg/ TES threads. I just assumed it's a guy thinking Kirkbride has no connection to the present company.
>>
>>46809210
He was merely pretending
>>
>>46807932
It was some great, insane bullshit. Really invoked that authentic mythological crazy vibe. I'm sad that more of it didn't actually get into the games, as the overall cosmology he established was pretty good.
That said, it's a good thing he didn't have full creative control. The man needs limiters if he's going to make a consumable product.
>>
>>46807932
>*Vivec teleports behind*
>*Vivec rapes Azura*
>Nothin personnel... whore xD
>>
>>46809320
I can't be the only person who likes Azura more than Vivec. People dislike her for being smug/manipulative but he's way worse.
>>
>>46807932
The patrician answer is that he is a bit of nut that can create some very good lore as long as he's kept on a leash by a competent handler.

He needs to spend more time doing worldbuilding lore and less on metaphysics.
>>
>>46809330
>he
>>
Given that /tg/ has a contratian squad with a hateboner for him, I think he's pretty great.
>>
File: true to Caesar.jpg (69 KB, 634x900) Image search: [Google]
true to Caesar.jpg
69 KB, 634x900
>>46809330
>caring about the gods and devils of some pansy semi extinct knife ears
>>
>>46809390
>implying daedra are restricted to mer
>not caring about morally bankrupt godlike beings that regularly interact with mundus
>>
File: 1443233133242.jpg (325 KB, 682x5000) Image search: [Google]
1443233133242.jpg
325 KB, 682x5000
>>46807932
Decent lore writer who can really lend that arcane mythological feel to his work, so long as he's got someone to pull his head in now and again. He's fucking insane of course, and his fanbase get's pretty damn obnoxious.

Like OP for instance, can you stop spamming these threads already? You've already got the weekend threads, save it for them.
>>
>>46808555
>This whole CHIM thing being fourth wall awareness
Pfffft.
>>
>>46807932
Half the shit he writes is just repackaged Hinduism.
>>
File: tumblr_nrxbf7JhSN1tug3pjo1_500.jpg (99 KB, 500x663) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrxbf7JhSN1tug3pjo1_500.jpg
99 KB, 500x663
>>46807932
Morrowind was the most interesting game lorewise, so I'd say he's pretty good kept in check, but c0da is just a mess.
>>
>>46807932
Some of the most pathetic fanfiction I've ever seen.
>>
>>46807932
Quit making these fucking threads and just wait for the weekend you fucking faggot.
>>
>>46808892
If the universe a dream in the mind of God, it's as real as can be for any mortal or immortal being within the universe. For all we know, our own universe could be God's dream, or less romantically, a computer simulation on some ridiculous supercomputer somewhere in our "father universe".

>>46807932
It's overrated, but I still like it a lot. His being a pretentious fuck, as people are saying ITT, does not really preclude his lore being enjoyable and interesting.

>>46808555
>CHIM being fourth wall awareness
Other people have simply quoted this and said "lol", which isn't really helping dispel the image of Kirkbride's cult, so I'll actually explain; CHIM isn't a character in the fictional universe realising he's there in my real-world computer and gaining access to the command console, it's a character in the fictional universe gaining an understanding of his being part of, as I said above, the "dream of God" (still all in-universe, nothing has broken the fourth wall between me and the fictional universe of the setting and my monitor) and through this understanding, gaining some measure of magical power which doesn't work the same way as other magical power in the setting.
>>
Given that /tg/ hates it, it must be pretty good.
>>
>>46809074
Haha wow that's stupid.
Another red flag is shitty self insert.
>>
>>46807932
His lore's pretty good, but he can't write for shit.
>>
>>46813524
If I understand CHIM correctly, isn't is sort of like knowingly embodying the dualism and conflict of the Godhead? You see it in yourself, and see yourself in it, so you don't lose your identity, which is really just an illusionary representation of a fragment of its conflict and thus can't hold on to its identity while seeing and being the whole thing at the same time? The conflict is between Stasis and Change, after all. The Godhead is split in two. Vivec, too, is a being of duality and conflict. He sees "I", and in "me, myself, the Vivec identity", in the much greater Dream, because the Dream's duality reminds him of his own duality. While those who see the Dream without being reminded of "I" lose their identity as fragments of the Dream.
>>
>>46813789
>"I", and in
*"I", as in
>>
>>46809330
I literally modded a shrine of Azura into Severin Manor when I saw Dragonborn had added them to the game.

Anytime I needed a divine blessing to cure disease I hoofed it back to Solstheim.

I killed Vivec in Morrowind
>>
>>46813887
>spoiler
Good.
>>
>>46813887
>spoiler
You are the worst human on the planet. Go jump into red mountain.
>>
>>46816851
It's spiritually important that Vivec die. He may have realized his flaws, but he was never fully punished for them. Killing all three of the triumvirate alongside returning Dagoth Ur to sleep is necessary to establish that a new age is come for the Dunmer.

Not that he stays dead, but it's still good to rub his ultimate impotence in his face.
>>
>>46808447
No he isn't
>>
>>46809330
Same. Vivec is an absolute fucker. Azura is also a fucker, but A) she's a Daedric Prince so that's to be expected, and B) Vivec is a lot worse.
>>
>>46818033
The Tribunal were more like Daedra than Aedra. They got their powers from the Heart of Lorkhan, Lorkhan being a Deadra, and they weren't fundamental aspects of the Mundus, like the Aedra.
>>
Someone post that "Awaken, Tribunal" JoJo edit, would you?
>>
File: 001.jpg (59 KB, 384x816) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
59 KB, 384x816
He should create a new age cult. He's halfway into it without trying.

That said, time to unshit this thread. Post your boner triggers.
>>
>>46818623
Those are some honking tits on that muscle elf.
>>
Is the thing about the morrowind theme being the entire song of Nirn something a fa/tg/uy made up?
>>
File: Mmm mmm mmm.gif (922 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Mmm mmm mmm.gif
922 KB, 400x225
>>46818954
And the back muscle to carry them
>>
>>46818623
Source?
>>
>>46808447
Go home Michael, no one gives a shit.
>>
File: tg titelcard.png (93 KB, 1159x351) Image search: [Google]
tg titelcard.png
93 KB, 1159x351
>>46819182
You have a point, eyebrow man.
>>
>>46819063
Don't know, but the heartbeat is almost certainly Lorkhan's.
>>
File: 1398480193354.png (3 MB, 1290x1260) Image search: [Google]
1398480193354.png
3 MB, 1290x1260
>>46809330
>People dislike her for being smug/manipulative but he's way worse.
Could you say no to this face?
>>
>>46819063
Considering they've reused it in every game since?
>>
File: img749.jpg (348 KB, 827x1328) Image search: [Google]
img749.jpg
348 KB, 827x1328
>>46819378

Honestly I don't think the rest is as good as that:
http://g.e-hentai.org/tag/artist:hidari-kiki
http://kunpara.web.fc2.com/
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=92527
>>
>>46819578
>gambled on a fart and lost.jpg
>>
>>46809330
You can't beat Azura to death.
>>
>That awkward moment when you're a Hindu
>That awkward moment when you share names with Vehk
>>
>>46821940
DESIGANTED
>>
>>46821979
>DESIGANTED
One job.
>>
>>46821979
>Autistic memer is also functionally illiterate
>>
>>46822007
shit
>>
Is there an ES system. If so link that shit
>>
>>46808894
Yeah, making it shallow shit created by 16 year old just discovering philosophy for the first time.

I'm not sure what's really worse here. Lore under Kirkbride or lack of any lore under Todd
>>
>>46822493
I never saved it but there is one in the op of /tgesg/, search the archives
>>
>>46822039
ing
streets
>>
His lore is more interesting than the generic garbage being written up now.
>>
>>46822538
One of the main problems with TES lore is that apparently nobody taught them "show, don't tell".

Just to put it on a extreme, compare it with the legendarium. Not counting what Christopher Tolkien published later (which is unnecessary to gain a good understanding of the setting and not purely Tolkien's writing in any case) It has the Silmarillion, The adventures of Tom Bombadil (which is a bit of a stretch already), The Hobbit and LotR. Those would be 4 books taking in mind that LotR wasn't originally intended to be split on 3 parts, and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil is a poetry book with not a lot of lore. In those 4 books Tolkien creates what is widely considered one of the best and most in-depth examples of world-building, and even if his themes deliberately burrow a lot from christianity he makes them interesting to the point they're subject to academic study.

TES, on the other hand, has 5 games just in the main series, 6 more for mobile, a card game, 1 MMO, literal hundreds of in-game books, 2 novels and 3 books specifically about lore with more probably coming on the way, and the lore is still proportionally still rather scarce and poor. This is from a combination of its main medium just not lending itself to worldbuilding that much, and from the lack of a overarching theme beyond "dude hinduism lmao". And a lot of lore gets retconned or just ignored once a new game is made.
>>
>>46818623
Source?
>>
>>46818623
There already is one. It's called Thelema.
>>
>>46823838
Thelema is not new age. People into occultism usually mock new age for being so shallow and commercialized, while Thelema is more or less considered a legitimate practice but still mocked for both how hilariously edgy Thelema itself and Crowley both are.

Crowley literally used "sex magick" as a way to get laid, and as a excuse to fuck the girls she rused in front of his son.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.