[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Because all the planets miraculously aligned YOU have somehow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 17
File: 1414772140126.png (46 KB, 632x496) Image search: [Google]
1414772140126.png
46 KB, 632x496
Because all the planets miraculously aligned YOU have somehow been given full control of D&D 6th edition's development. What changes, mechanics, races, etc. etc. do you implement?
>>
Casters need an activation roll for all spells. Cantrips don't exist.
>>
Cash in on the OSR craze by just repackaging AD&D 2E with faux-retro DeviantArt.
>>
Default setting is science fantasy inspired by spelljammer
>>
For D&D 6e, I
>Remove alignments, magic, and monsters
>Remove all nonhuman races
>Game is now ultra gritty ultra low fantasy politics and plague set in the Dung Ages
>No dungeons
>No dragons
>You get wounded in a swordfight? Save or die of infection
>Laugh as the community attempts to implode and explode simultaneously and Hasbro jettisons the IP
>>
File: are you not entercraned.jpg (66 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
are you not entercraned.jpg
66 KB, 500x386
>>46797607

I reprint 2.5 letter for letter, word for word and update the art assets.
>>
>>46797607
Split the franchise into three games: One OSR game, one 4e equivalent and a functional 3.PF equivalent, i.e. Fantasy Craft.
>>
>>46797607
Replace HP with STUN and BODY so every attack has an opportunity to effect even the mightiest of warrior.
>>
Scrap Forgotten Realms.
>>
I'd use 3e as the basis but, unlike 3.5 and Pathfinder, I'd make real attempts to fix it.ToB/PoW-style martials, specialized casters like Beguiler and True Necromancer instead of do-anything clerics and wizards, and replacing all the shitty options with ones someone might ever take.
>>
>>46797636
>Cantrips don't exist
What's so bad about Cantrips?

>>46797820
>Split the franchise into three games: One OSR game, one 4e equivalent and a functional 3.PF equivalent, i.e. Fantasy Craft.
Eh, I don't know about three different games...
4e style battle chess, sure, but I think the OSR and 3.PF could be done as one game with optional expanded rules.
>>
>>46797607
I make Inspiration useful and hardcode multiclassing in by default. Every character is two classes, taking the same class twice gives you more starting bennies for the cost of versatility. Soellcasting is now a skill roll.
>>
>>46798166
And I disagree.
>>
>Divide spellcaster classes by something similar to Paladin oaths.
>Split the cleric spell list into groups, each under a patron deity
>>
>>46797607
Hire actual game designers to do most of the design work for me, maybe altering the alignment system to something slightly less restrictive along the way.

Then I go and get a software team together to make a website sort of like Roll20, but with more features. You get access to this website with the purchase of a book (or you can just buy access), and you can subscribe to a monthly service delivering art assets, full campaigns, and other goodies for a small fee. It would also include most of the core rules built-in, so basic attacks and such work automatically. Of course, if you want to go outside the written rules you are free, but if you just want to swing a sword and have the enemy's HP update it's automatic.
>>
>>46797607
I have some actual game designers help me hash out mechanics, then put out multiple settings in the first DM Guide- One low-fantasy, exclusively human setting, one high-fantasy kitchen sink setting, and one offbeat and dark setting with exotic races and cultures along the lines of Dark Sun.
>>46798948
This guy knows what he's talking about.
>>
>Call everyone that ever played a d&d edition
>Make polls that will discover what each person like about d&d and changes they didnt liked (or old edition stuff they didnt liked)
>Based on polls and what people said they liked and hated split those guys into groups
>CREATE AS MANY GROUPS AS NEEDED
>"IN WILL CREATE JUST FEW GROUPS BECAUSE....."
>"ok, no new edition will be made, if thats the case this entire idea ends here, if not read the rest of this text"
>anyway lets continue
>After creating as many groups as needed, make new polls to decide what each group like, a person from a group can only answer his own group poll and he will know the group he is on because this will be used later.
>release an wip, each group will have their own wip, and each group will test their wip and give opnions based on only his group wip, his opinion is worthless to other groups.
>continue fixing stuff based on the group opinion.
>after some amount of fixes you finish each group edition and release, but you only release after every group new edition is finished
>each edition have the group it was aimed for on the front cover. it will also have something on big letters saying "DONT BUY THIS BOOK UNLESS ITS YOUR GROUP BOOK, IF YOU BUY SOMETHING NOT FROM YOUR GROUP DONT COMPLAIN SAYING IT SUCKS, YOUR OPINION WILL BE WORTHLESS, WE WONT CARE ABOUT IT"

This is the only way of fixing d&d.
>>
>>46799795

>applying feedback from the masses will fix D&D

kek

fastest way to ruin anything
>>
>>46797607

I establish some simple ground rules.

> Half-orcs exist solely through rape, when orc savages subject women to unspeakable horrors.
> Paladins have a lot more lassitude when it comes to fighting evil. They're depicted more like zealous crusaders, and their morality is guided by the god's will rather than an overarching Lawful Good code.
> Homosexuality is something only evil people and degenerates do, and is depicted as a negative thing.
> Female adventurers are extremely rare. It's stressed that only exceptional women are as good as male adventurers.

Basically, I give the middle finger to diversity and all the tumblr-kinning.
>>
>>46800491
Should replace pally with ToB's Crusader in this case. Or just take Crusader and name it Paladin. They're allowed to be any alignment except neutral of course.
>>
Make 4.5 E
Instead of d20 we now use 2d10
Remove class levels
Make armor stop damage, instead of contributing to dodging
Also this >>46800491
>>
>>46800393
its not from masses
apllying feedback from everyone (yes everyone since, when od&d it was the only rpg on the market) is what kills d&d
and this is specifically what my idea tries to avoid

thats is specifically the reason, why I said this:
>"IN WILL CREATE JUST FEW GROUPS BECAUSE....."
>"ok, no new edition will be made, if thats the case this entire idea ends here, if not read the rest of this text"

as many groups as needed is created, to make sure each group edition is made based on the specific group desires only.

So you dont have the equivalent of creating a new editon of gurps, based on what fatal players want, also cyberpunk 2020 players, also gurps ones, also phoenix command ones, also pathfinder ones, racial holy wars players, Vampire: The Masquerade players.....
>>
>>46800926
Stop damage as in DR?
>>
1. Eliminate classes
2. Eliminate races as a game mechanic (they're all just flavors of humans anyway)
3. Remove grid combat REMOVE GRID COMBAT, we are fucking around with rulers, line of sight string and protractors now
4. Remove attributes as a game mechanic
5. FEATS ARE YOUR NEW GOD
6. Remove utility spells entirely from the game. Offensive magic users now have to choose between blasting, crowd control, or buffing/debuffing.
7. Magical healing is now out-of-combat-only.

dare you enter my magical realm
>>
Stop making D&D, farm out campaign settings to other systems. Or go back to boxsets.
>>
>>46801089
>7.

Was this really a problem? Hardly anyone did this anyway.
>>
>take Star Wars Saga edition as a base and bring in 4e style abilities.
>per encounter and dailies are removed and replaced with a fatigue system sort of like 4e's psionics
>bring back Birthright as a setting

>>46801182

It's a poor choice in most editions since enemies will often outdamage your heals, so spending your actions killing or aiding in killing usually helps keep your crew alive longer.
>>
>>46797607
-All player characters must be human
-All spells require skill checks to not fizzle
- there are as many combat moves as there are spells, and no normal attack
>>
>>46798166
>OSR and 3.PF could be done as one game with optional expanded rules.
No, the playstyles are fundamentally at odds with each other.
>>
>>46799795
>>46800938
That's how you get 5E.
>>
>>46801403
This. When D&D came out with a miniatures-focused variant I was like "FINALLY, someone realized that the grid combat is only fun if you're playing a wargame like heroclix"

And then nothing came of it and they kept grid combat in the game because by that point people were doing tactical combat because the video games had picked it up and run with it
>>
1. Only the big 4 classes: Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Thief
2. Vancian magic removed. Spells can be cast at any time, but take long to cast/can cause injury to caster/need focus to cast
3. Cleric and Wizard magic made distinct
4. No feats. If a PC wants to do something special, it's DM's discretion
5. Less rules. People will houserule most of it anyways.
6. Less focus on miniatures. Use the theatre of your mind.
>>
>all these human only posts

Why? I play humans more than half the time, but why would you do this? Yes, it's a bit campy but people like that. Why don't you just introduce a human only setting for D&D, since the game has multiple settings?

The main issue, in my experience, is people playing weird obscure races or hybrid snowflakes because they want to powergame. Not because it truly interests them. In that case, just remove racial differences from crunch and make it 100% fluff. If Mike wants to pretend he's an elf then let him, just don't change his ability scores or anything.
>>
>>46801563
The reason is the slippery slope argument you just made. If races convey some mechanical advantage there will never be someone making a character of that race because the storytelling options are fun and compelling
>>
>>46801476
>That's how you get 5E.

There is only one 5E, so the obviously a NO, OBVIOUSLY A NO.

This specifically what my idea wanted to avoid
>>
>>46801623
Well, okay. I sort of get what you mean now, but HOLY FUCK you're bad at formulating things.
>>
File: 10.png (220 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
10.png
220 KB, 500x450
>>46801545
We have a winner.
>>
>>46797607
>instead of being "wizard but better", bards get their own line of performance-themed spells
>bardic knowledge doesn't mean you know everything
>any cantrips in any class that can cause direct damage are replaced with less powerful "comfy" spells like one that makes armor soft to touch or to warm a patch of earth for X hours
>>
>>46798948
>try to make an online platform
>turns out all programmers are schizophrenic sociopaths
>programmer literally axes your whole team and an-heros
>what do?
>>
>>46797607
>>>46797636
>>Cantrips don't exist
>What's so bad about Cantrips?

Don't wanna let those gosh dern casters not be useless after 3 rounds in the first 5 levels.
Otherwise why will anyone play martials???
>>
>>46801605
Just don't give them mechanical advantages then. Less people will play them if it's just a fluff thing but that doesn't mean no people will.
>>
>>46801403
>No, the playstyles are fundamentally at odds with each other.
They are?
Sorry if I'm a bit too young, but what are these fundamental differences?

>>46801477
>This. When D&D came out with a miniatures-focused variant I was like "FINALLY, someone realized that the grid combat is only fun if you're playing a wargame like heroclix"
>And then nothing came of it and they kept grid combat in the game because by that point people were doing tactical combat because the video games had picked it up and run with it
Well they had their digital development head go and murder/suicide on them, which kinda killed their plans for virtual tabletop, thus making the physical version more difficult to prototype.

Still, I don't know why you are all hating on grids...
Even without miniatures, grids help with spatial visualization, plus Graph Paper is still a readily available resource.
>>
>>46801886
What was the argument against magic - users carrying a crossbow or such instead of having unlimited damage spells?
>>
>>46802182
Crossbows had full-round reloads.
>>
>>46802182
>What was the argument against magic - users carrying a crossbow or such instead of having unlimited damage spells?
Ammo and encumbrance mostly...
It also calls into question Weapon Proficiencies.
>>
>>46797607
I let it die peacefully.
>>
I made it D&D 5.5e, change around a few minor changes, rebalance the feats a little, give Ranger a little more do to, and add a couple more archetypes.

Then I publish some fluff books with extra goodies and optional rules if they want them, and let everybody have a good time.

Because I'm not a fucking faggot who gets asspained about the fact that Dungeons and Dragons still exists.

Nobody is going to fucking play your stupid knockoff fantasy game that pretends to be better.
>>
File: 1375871888223.png (73 KB, 397x595) Image search: [Google]
1375871888223.png
73 KB, 397x595
>>46802350
>I made it D&D 5.5e, change around a few minor changes, rebalance the feats a little, give Ranger a little more do to, and add a couple more archetypes.
>Then I publish some fluff books with extra goodies and optional rules if they want them, and let everybody have a good time.
>>
File: cinderella.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
cinderella.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>>46802350
Bless ya sir, that's kind of exactly what I want 5e to do right now anyway.
>>
>>46802350
What minor changes would you apply?
>>
short my stock buys secretly and go to an all d6 system.
>>
>>46797652
But /tg/ will call you an evil jew.
>>
File: fuck.png (110 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
110 KB, 300x250
>>46797607

No more alignments, complete in-universe moral ambiguity, you do whatever you believe in, and other people judge you for it, but you are never inherently anything.

No more gods. Instead they are just very powerful entities, but all of them came about through natural processes (as far as magic is natural in the realm as well).

No more classes or races, you just pick and choose any combination of skills, traits, appearance, and proficiencies you want.

No more character levels, it's all pure exp and you select yourself where to put the exp to increase skills, abilities etc. Continuous progression, not discrete.

Background options are now incredible fleshed out, and can determine everything about your character, and the old class/race combinations can be found here as part of backgrounds / origin.

Inspiration is now much more important, and carries heavy bonuses and penalties dependent on if you are roleplaying in line with your character and his/her background. There are actual rules for this now, to level the playing field against shitty DMs.

Finally, all spells are now something you have to come up with yourself, using point rules based on your exp, for effects, conditions, damage, casting time etc, Some of the classical spells from previous edition can be found as examples using the new system.
>>
>>46803122
Gods are kind of already like that they are just extra powered up by belief which they can share with a few of their followers.
>>
>>46797636
How about only cantrips exist?
>>
>>46803122
>cont'd

No more plane / dimension shit. There is only one universe (or multiverse), and everything that exists is inside this universe, some under your booth, some at the edges of the expanding space.

All weapons, armor, accessories, etc, have a similar counterpart to the new spell system, (and I forgot you can substitute exp for gold and/or other precious materials) and there are included examples from previous editions using new system.

Completely revamped combat system, where instead of being damage sponges, you have quick and extremely deadly battles, with huge room for narrative and choices. There are now actual rules benefitting roleplaying in combat, such as describing how you wish to swing your sword. Combat system is no longer turnbased in the usual sense, since independent actions can happen on the same turn from two entities.

Finally, better, more, stronger, harder, huge ass tables of rolling up adventures, npcs, quests, worlds, everything, for alleviating the DMs work and just procedurally generating shit on the fly..
>>
>>46803122
>>46803431
And instead of 6th, 5.5, Next, whatever,

I name it Dungeons & Sometimes Dragons too.
>>
>>46802452
Oh, I don't know. Give ranger the favoured enemy weapon bonuses back, maybe make versatile a little more attractive to use instead of just grabbing a great weapon instead. Bump up some of the feats to bring them more in line with the really good ones, just to give more variety. I don't really know what sort of drastic changes I'd need to make. I'm the heretic in here that actually likes 5e.

>>46802418
Get out of here, ND. Foron's better.
>>
>>46804963
5e is pretty well recieved, even on /tg/. This is just some people targetting D&D stuff across all editions.
>>
>>46805013
The worst thing you can say about 5th ed, and I do, because I don't like it, but the worst thing about it is that it's badly organized and aggressively mediocre.
It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but it is why most people say it's their 2nd favorite edition.
>>
>>46805633
I don't disagree that it's badly organized.
>most people say it's their 2nd favorite edition
Unless your name is 'most people', I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt
>>
>>46802118
>Sorry if I'm a bit too young, but what are these fundamental differences?

In OSR the game is based around surviving. Instant death is everywhere, making it to 2nd level probably won't happen the first time you play it. Advancement makes you slightly more durable, but not much. The numbers are bound within a certain scale, and there's almost no customization. The character classes aren't even all that different.

3.PF the game is based around character advancement and getting your toys to work. The numbers aren't bound at all, and can get really far apart from each other to the point where a type of roll that is tough for you might be autopass for a teammate. It's expected that the thing you're good at, you're really good at. Having system mastery helps you here because there are good and bad character options.
>>
>>46806784
That's just what I hear anecdotally.
4e people don't love it because they perceive it as caster edition again, and the encounter building system that 4th got really right got scrapped for something that doesn't work as well.
3e people don't love it because there just aren't a lot of options and it doesn't have the vast customization potential.
2e people don't love it because despite its sort of retro feel, there are a few too many things that irk them, like Hit Dice being re-named Healing Surges.

But none of them hate it.

1e people are busy playing one of 5 different OSR clones and don't give a shit anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 125x110) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 125x110
>>46797762
>filename
>>
>>46801168
This
>>
>>46799795
Perfect Pasta Sauce comes to mind. Or really, Moskowitz in general.
Here, a nice wrap-up what's the idea is about. Even if it's about vidya, the basic concept remains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZ-159xsZY

>>46800393
>HURR CUSTOMERS SHOULD STAY SILENT DURR

>>46801476
Not really. Having a small pool of people to ask is not the same as actually making broad polls about what people want. Especially when in the end there is ONE 5e, not at least a dozen
>>
>>46801545
We already have game for that.
0D&D

You are welcomed thou
>>
>>46805633
>>46806784
How is it poorly organized?
>>
>>46797607
1- Armor is now Damage Reduction as god intended

2- your HP is your con score + bonus from your class

3- you now have strain. No lethal damage, mental fatigue, and exhaustion go here. Go to zero strain and you are out cold. Any more and it goes to HP.

4- Normal armor shifts damage to strain. Special armor traits like Adamantine stop it entirely (maybe, haven't decided on this)

5- strain is used to activate special abilities, such as cleave or attacks of opportunity or bonus actions. Try to do too much in a short amount of time? tough you over exerted yourself. Plenty of fiction has someone do great things then immediately collapse in exhaustion.

6- strain is gained through leveling like it is now (ie., fighter gets 1d10 strain per level). Some classes get HP bonuses, but health gains mostly just come from your con modifier every level.

7- there are now only 10 levels. The differences within each level are now bigger. You gain a feat every odd level, attribute increase every even level. I'm open to dumping this depending on feedback.

8- keep advantage, but leave open minor +1/+2 modifiers to DM, because giving advantage like candy seems like a bit much.

9-Bring back incorporeal things to their full glory. I don't think you should be able to kill a ghost with a sword if it isn't silver or magic or something.

10- paladin is now "crusader" and isn't forced to be lawful good at every insane opportunity. Technically this may be unnecessary but many people are stupid when playing paladins.

Make vehicle combat more functional, like for carriage chases and stuff.

A full size introductory quest, the logic behind the set design and monster choices too. New Adams can't just be given the set, they won't learn anything following verbatim, they need an explanation as to WHY it works that way.

Cut down on GP and cost bloat. I have the GDP of a major G20 nation in my personal cache and I spend it on one wonderous item, that's insane.
>>
>>46807397
>like Hit Dice being re-named Healing Surges.
Not true, try again?
>>
>>46799795
>>46801623
>>46807690
This

Seriously, you just can't make ONE 6e and try to make it good for everyone. It's not fucking possible. And if you make it "broad" in appeal, most of oldfags will get instantly defensive about dumbing it down (and they will be right for a change).

Either the game goes for variety of versions and what people want, or it will be just a stale and stagnant dinosaur, a remnant from the past that became dated two generations of tabletop RPGs ago.
>>
>>46800491
Tumblrites and /pol/tards really are just as retarded as each other, in the exact same ways.

No GM or player has to listen to the crap you have to say.
>>
ITT: Autists don't understand the point of the OP.

Guys, the whole point of making a 6th edition here is not making what EVERYONE wants, it's making what YOU want. Of course you can't make an edition that everyone likes.
>>
>>46807973

Honestly, I find /pol/ less annoying than Tumblr. It's cool to be bad, and I kind of see where they're coming from.
>>
>>46808010
Someone should tell WotC.
>>
>>46807397
>like Hit Dice being re-named Healing Surges
HD in 2e works basically the same way as 5e. Actually HD was worked pretty much the same way in every edition.

What the fuck man
>>
>>46809112
Yes, I'm quite sure you do.
>>
>>46809132
But if they do a 4Eish edition again they'll get bullied!
>>
>>46809271
At this point it's impossible for them to do anything right in the eyes of the customers, aside from their inability to do anything right in general.
>>
>>46809271
Also, the problem was not them making 4e.
The problem was them selling 4e as the definitive version of D&D, discontinuing support for 3.5 and making fun of people for playing 3.5, while Paizo was simply waiting and watching, with a legal rip-off of 3.5 ready and raring to go.

4e was a relatively good game, it's just that everything around it smacked of sheer idiocy.
>>
>>46797667
>default setting is science fantasy inspired by spelljammer
Yup. Add in some magic based steampunk to piss people off. Mana steam. Mana gas. Whatever, eat a dick.

>add in Sigil and reworked planes so they aren't so alignment intensive
>alignment is now a scale instead of a fucking black and white grid of full retard faggotry

and finally

>bring back THAC0 because FUCK YOU
>>
File: received_1118165811567141.jpg (14 KB, 407x685) Image search: [Google]
received_1118165811567141.jpg
14 KB, 407x685
>>46800491
/pol/, please, go talk about "politics" with your aspie beta friends who blame jews and niggers for not having a girlfriend. We're trying to play a shitty high fantasy game and no, my character isn't a transvestite degenerate, it's a fucking changeling rogue, now please go.
>>
File: fuck off pol.png (44 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
fuck off pol.png
44 KB, 706x674
>>46800491
>>
>>46810622
>calls your evidence invalid

Those who argue with /pol/ never post evidence they just call them bitter racist neckbeards and then think that wins them the argument. I really wish that weren't the case but it happens more often than not and it probably only reinforces their beliefs.
>>
>>46810682
>just call them bitter racist neckbeards
Isn't that the definition of /pol/?
>>
>>46810926
/pol/ has come to mean everything anyone hates on 4chan at the moment. its basically become a boogeyman at this point, people bitching about /pol/ are a hell of a lot more common than the people they're complaining about. Its basically a giant parody of itself at this point.
>>
>>46810926
Yeah, but they're still putting the effort to make arguments on the subjects they obsess over. Note the latter part of the sentence.

>and then think that wins them the argument

If a bitter racist neckbeard says 2+2=4 it's still gonna be 4. Not that they're correct a lot of the time but there's rarely anyone who will actually engage them in an argument outside of

>I'm right because I'm right and have the moral high ground
>>
Nothing, 5e is already literal perfection.
>>
>>46811026
It's a pile of shit covered in air fresheners.
>>
>>46811095
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46811159
You forgot the frog.
>>
>>46797607
Fighter
Wizard
Cleric
Thief

Every other concept is a 2e-esque kit for one of the four. Utility spells reigned in, no charima casters.
>>
>>46811225
Non-human races are class kits, not PC options.
>>
>>46811259
I disagree. Two members of different races who receive the same training should have the same skills. Doing it that way forces certain things setting-wise.
>>
>>46811225
This

Last time D&D did classes right, it was 0D&D. Then it literally turned out into shitting out classes for quick buck in the 80s
>>
>>46811026

How do I put this...

3.5 is like anal sex. Sloppy, painful anal sex.
Pathfinder is like anal sex with a little bit of lube, but then Paizo makes you go ass to mouth.
5e is like anal sex with generous lubricant, and they do an enema beforehand.

Whereas oldschool D&D is like regular penis-in-vagina sex in mssionary position, while holding hands and 4E is basically the titty-fucking of D&D.
>>
-feat system is now point based, with some feats costing more or less than other for balance purposes and allowing shitty feats to be good.
-martial classes often get "for every 8 talent points spent in the fighting style you have most feat in you get 1 point to be spent on another fighting style feat" to help them diversify their shit.
-optional rules to turn casters into pathfinder Spheres of Power kind of system.( which basically restrict their versatility and shift them toward at-will rather than daily uses)
-modify the skill point system so wizards won't become a can-do-all god and fighter gets more point.
-character at lvl 1 start with 2 full hit dices + CON
-the part where the book explains that alignement is a simple tool to classify various behaviours for game interaction purposes and not a way to restrict characters will be written in BOLD AND ALL CAPS.
-antipaladin is lawful evil
-All gods have a philosophy(sometime shared), some behaviour rules,ideals, a way to view society and the world etc. and they all need a reason. instead of "I AM THE GOD OF [discipline or physical phenomena] AND [object or landscape] YOU MUST KILL ALL WHO DISRISPECT [object or landscape] ".
-standard SAVE OR SUCK encounter-winning spells get a delayed/increasing effect, a save every turn to end the effect, decreased effect on failing the save while still doing something if it succeed by few points, basically everything is needed for the wizard to have fun without winning the encounter on the first turn
-haste spell (from 3.5) get nerfed. For example the bonus attack might be at a -5 penalty that eventually decrease with caster levels.
-no standard race lives more than 200 years. fuck your shitty immortal elves.
>>
>>46810968
Let me get this straight
A false argument, made upon false facts and strenghtened by false assumption wins the day, because hey, it has a proper structure to pass as an argument, so it "wins" over people who simply say to shut the fuck up?
Not to mention the whole idea of "winning" added to it. The hell you are trying to win? And how exactly? Shitstorm on anonymous internet imageboard is not even a discussion.
>>
>>46811329
>Here, let's add another layers of patchworks over this rag that we are trying to sew together for past 40 years

Why people are so desperate to "save" or "fix" D&D?
The system as such at this point is a convoluted mass of tumorous tissue, in few different layers, constantly trying to "fix" something, instead FINALLY realising certain concepts (D&D armour, Vancian magic) are simply shit and no amount of patches will make them work.
>>
>>46797607
I would start with hiring Howard Moskowitz or at least people well-trained with his techniques.
Then run his procedure, namely making a series of long and extensive surveys to see what people actually want and what suits them more from proposed samples.
Armed with that, it's just a matter of time to see what sets of elements different groups of people want to play and creating GAMES (fucking PLURAL) based on those preferences.
Maybe some people like the way it was done in edition N. Maybe someone hate Vancian Magic, but is perfectly fine with everything else. Maybe somone like their settings less heroic fantasy and more grim-dark. And maybe the survey will discover some new group, that so far was completely neglected, thus creating a nice niche to fill and profit on.

So instead of trying to destill single, "perfect" D&D 6e, create MULTIPLE versions of it, each catering for different preferences. This way you have a product that REALLY appeals to absolutely everyone possible (or at least groups large enough to be noticed), all under your brand, all giving you pure profit. And I bet my fucking arm there are at least few niches that are completely neglected, because creators didn't even think about it and people didn't realise they would like to play it.

Seriously, Moskowitz and his method absolutely revolutionised the way things are made and yet so few companies actually apply this, instead trying to do a guessing game to figure out what the customers want.

Mind you, it's not about making few different games. It's about insterting into them variety. It's mostly about realising you just CAN'T make a single product that will appeal to everyone and the harder you try to cram everything into single product, the smaller target group for it gets.
>>
>>46811366
hey man, i was tasked with making a new edition of D&D, not a new game.
i know that vancian magic and the entire spell list are fucked and not worth saving, but that's D&D for you.

what's wrong with armor class
>>
>>46811573
Armour as is has only single purpose - you are harder to hit. Armour doesn't work that way. At all. And this is just amazing how prevailing this thing is over the decaded

Besides, I think this bit
>hey man, i was tasked with making a new edition of D&D, not a new game.
Is the main reason why D&D is sitting in a comfort zone for past 30-25 years. Because the guys are no longer hired to make a new game, they are hired to churm out a new edition of it. Meaning instead of making new, better rules, they try to fix what's already in, even it that's just not going to work.

I get your point, I get their point, but just read this anon: >>46811448.
This is how you change a game and make new edition out of it.
>>
>>46811573
>what's wrong with armor class
It's an enormous abstraction that in no way simulates real combat, but people try to force it to anyway.

>vancian magic
Can you even pretend to call 5e casting Vancian? I don't think so.
>>
>>46811646
Not the anon (I'm this guy: >>46811366), but does the fact 5e casting can no longer be called "100% Vancian" makes it any less awful?
>>
>>46811662
I think it's less awful that now you don't have to prepare the same spell multiple times if you plan to use it multiple times, but I might be in the minority for all I know.
>>
>>46811631
>Armour as is has only single purpose - you are harder to hit. Armour doesn't work that way. At all. And this is just amazing how prevailing this thing is over the decaded

i am sorry for your simulationism preferences then, but i am perfecly ok with the fact a game needs some abstractions and AC seems adeguate to me.It's an abstraction no more unjustifiable than the game being turn based or the character being able to fight at 100% of their forces until unconsciousness.
I am ok with AC despite the fact i am somewhat simlationist myself and me and my group menage to roleplay it well anyway.

that said i am ok with trying something new, but i would prioritize easiness of use and balance more than the need to better simulate chance to hit and damage resistences.
>>
File: 1401766879518.jpg (18 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1401766879518.jpg
18 KB, 224x225
>>46811759
>This entire post
>>
>>46802232
>>46802206
And I signed up to use MAGIC.

5e got Cantrips right, at least. Very slow scaling, and at lowest levels, sub-crossbow damage, and never outdamages a Martial's strike.

But it lets you throw around a bit of magic the whole time.
>>
>>46803122
>Finally, all spells are now something you have to come up with yourself, using point rules based on your exp, for effects, conditions, damage, casting time etc, Some of the classical spells from previous edition can be found as examples using the new system.

that's unpractical for everyone, unbalanced, it makes it hard to have funky spells and is extremely unwelcoming to new players.Just put it there as an option just like creating custom magical items is in the main books right now.

we barely menaged to have our new player read and select some standard spells for her level 2 sorcerer without dooming her character to complete incompetency.
>>
>>46797607
D20 roll-under, core attributes are the standard six from any D&D edition. So to see whether a character succeeds at a task, you roll a single D20 die, and if it is less than the relevant attribute, that character was successful at a task. If the roll is EXACTLY the attribute or greater, then that counts as a failure.
The range for each attribute is 0-20, with the various main player races generally having stats in the range of 8-12.
However, while for most situations, a simple roll of the D20 is suffice to resolve whether a character succeeds or not, there are sometimes mitigating circumstances that add a level of Difficulty to a roll - these difficulties are represented by the addition of a minimum to the dice roll in addition to the, so to succeed, not only must someone roll under the relevant attribute, but they must also get more than the degree of difficulty. But do not fear difficulty, this is where character Skills come into play - each skill that a character has ranks in gives that character one additional die that they get to add to the D20 roll for the purpose of whether or not they got more than the difficult (but not whether they got less than the character's attribute). The dice progression is simple, no ranks in a skill give you no die, one rank gives a d4, two a d6, three a d8, four a d10, and maxes out at 5 ranks with a d12. This additional die is called the Skill Die and the D20 is called the Success Die - the purpose of these two degrees of success (or, for the bleaker player, degrees of failure) is to add an extra bolt in the GM's narrative quiver.
>>
>>46797607

Reprint 4e, update the first two monster manuals with the MV and MM3 math, bake in 5e's disadvantage mechanic, and buff essentials classes up to par so the 'MARTIALS SHOULD ONLY BE ABLE TO SWING SWORD' people have something to do.

Start up DDI, Dragon and Dungeon magazine again, continue support for 5e as they're currently doing it (half-edited articles once a month and an overpriced adventure path every few months).
>>
This thread is excellent proof of why game designers should always take player feedback with a grain of salt.

>>46807690
>broad poll
We take a broad poll for who should run the country every four years--look how that's turning out.

People are stupid, and will cry that they know exactly what they want right up until the second they get it--and then they'll start complaining again.

People also often want contradictory or mutually exclusive things, or the same thing in different ways.

If you tried to write a novel by polling everyone about what they thought was the perfect novel, you'd wind up with gray, uninspired dreck. Why would you do it with a game that has many of the qualities of literature?
>>
>>46811759
It's not that simulationist. I don't know why D&Dfags draw this biased line with their game.

The armor grants a 4+ bonus, Bob is hit for 6 damage. Can you figure out how much damage Bob took from the hit?

It's 2, you fucks. It probably didn't take you long at all unless you're mentally disabled.

>Anything with a bit more crunch than D&D is too simulationist 4 me and is unplayable!
>However, anything more rules light is cancer and is what's killing the hobby! Unplayable narrativist garbage!
>>
>>46803122
>>46803431
Just play fucking Runequest
>>
>>46811631
>Armour as is has only single purpose - you are harder to hit
Harder to threaten. Or to wound if you prefer meat points
>>
>>46814411
You just don't get it anon--if it doesn't come in three shiny overpriced books with DEEunDEE printed on the cover, it's a bullshit faggot hipster game.
>>
>>46797607
I make this into rule 1: USE A FUCKING COASTER

The rest is all window dressing at my table and should be for everyone. And during organized play events I want players to have a dice bag and a coaster bag. I want coasters to be part of gaming lexicon because fuck you if you leave a ring of condensation on my table that fucking stains jesus fucking fuck.
>>
File: 1460260679518.gif (973 KB, 500x216) Image search: [Google]
1460260679518.gif
973 KB, 500x216
>>46797607
> What changes, mechanics, races, etc. etc. do you implement?
1) Remove abilities: no more Str/Dex/Con/...

2) Remove all dice except d6.

3) Remove hit points. Now there are only states (wounded and dead are among them).

4) Killing monsters does not grant XP

5) Take over the world ... Try to make this work

Also, limit Corebook to 100 pages.
>>
>>46814888
So, Fate?
>>
>>46814904
Hell, no. I hate Fate.
>>
>>46797607

> proficiency stays
> try to make skill points work again, if I can't they go
> feat at 1st and every 4 levels, make them good
> monsters don't get feats to ease monster creation
> tone the class features down
> spell points where each spell costs its spell level in spell points
> any SoDs have huge downsides such as taking huge backlash damage or taking permanent ability drain
> saves go back the way they were
> ability increase two different abilities by 1 every five levels
> bring back +2/-2 modifiers for races
> shittons of options that are balanced

Basically 3.5 and 5e mixed together. I tried 5e for the first time last night and really liked it, but it felt hollow compared to 3.5. If both could be mixed I think the game would be perfect.
>>
>>46797607
I'd add to the monster manual Effectiveness Icons, telling scrub DMs how to adjust an encounter around their party level. eg +1 vs Martials, -1 vs casters, vice versa, etc.
>>
>>46814921
It's funny, then, that you've pretty much literally made fate then.

Maybe Fate with Feats? No, Fate uses Aspects, which are basically the same thing once you've taken everything else out.
>>
>>46815067
> It's funny, then, that you've pretty much literally made fate then.
Nope. Fate is ambiguous. Nothing I offered adds any ambiguity.
>>
>>46802350
I like it. 5e really just needs some more fluff imo
>>
>>46809424
Them screwing over Paizo in the first place was also a bad idea.
Idealogically, Paizo was completely aligned with WotC on a great deal of the bad ideas that went into 4E. They probably would have happily kept making Dungeon and Dragon for 4E if they were allowed to, with the same shitty rules and aesthetics.
But no, Hasbro got IP-greedy and forced them out, like a typical dumb corporation, so they adapted, swooped in, and took in everybody who'd just been alienated.
>>
>>46815778
>the bad ideas that went into 4E
Such as?
The ideas that went into 4e were pretty great for the most part. They just fucked the dog in their execution, as always.
>>
>>46816099
>The ideas that went into 4e were pretty great for the most part

I think he's referring to the ones that don't fit into the 'for the most part' thing. 4e's completely fucked monster design in the beginning of the game's run, for example, would fit right into Paizo design.
>>
>>46816215
I'd chalk that up to the execution, but okay. I see your point.
>>
>>46816315

I don't disagree, actually. One of the reasons I like 4e so much is that it actually learned from its mistakes and improved over the course of its run.
>>
>>46816362
And then 5e came and tossed almost everything they learned right into the trash. Even though the playtest started out promising.
I'm not even angry. Just disappointed.
>>
>>46816527

I'm in the same boat. I bought the books, tried a game or two, but it was just a step down from 4e in pretty much every fashion. It's like it tried to please 4e fans and 3.5 fans and just failed at both.
>>
>>46816362
But they had to show up those turds at Paizo!
>>
>>46816670
It's not just like it tried to please both, that was pretty sure the actual intention behind 5e.
I believe that if WotC recognized that their fanbase is irreparably fractured because the game does not know what it wants to be, they could stop trying to unite them under one extremely bland system and instead make two separate versions of D&D that would be genuinely good. But of course, that's not going to happen.
>>
>>46814976
>"felt hollow"
Don't take it the wrong way, but I think it may be you that feels hollow.

I know that for me, nothing will ever click quite the way AD&D2 did, even though it was not a great game by most measures, and a rather bloated departure from the predecessors.
>>
>>46817411

You may be right.

AD&D is a really good game, minus the bloated rules.

If 5e had actually been an AD&D reboot instead of a schizophrenic cross between two fundamentally different playstyles, it might have felt different.

But it was not minimalist enough for that.
>>
>>46817695
>AD&D is a really good game
Do I really need to remind about THAC0? Or how absolutely awful magic was?
>>
>>46818402
There is literally nothing wrong with THAC0
>>
>>46818535
Aside from pointlessly being done backwards, that is. The system could easily work on growing numbers, not decreasing ones, becoming more intuitive while using exactly the same mechanics
>>
>>46807814
>And if you make it "broad" in appeal,
This is not possible because what the ideas different users want on d&d usually clash with each other, so you will always have to fuck with someone to make another person happy.

This doenst happen with other rpgs, because you know people find the rpg they want to play and play them.
You arent forced to play gurps and thats ok, if gurps sucks for you thats ok, if fatal sucks for you thats ok since you wont be forced to play it.

But with d&d you have all those guys that should be playing different rpgs playing the same single rpg.

This comes from the fact that when gurps started it was the only rpg on the market and so you had people with different opinions on what an rpg should be playing the same thing.
Then some will without a doubt discover some flaws (since of them shouldnt be playing d&d on the first place, but its their only choice) and then a new edition is released.
People quickly jump to new edition and this extreme amount of people quickly jumping to this recently released rpg bring new guys to rpg, new as in "I never played rpg before". While other rpgs systems exist now, those new players end in the same way as the first ones that played when d&d was created. The same thing that happened with the od&d players happen with them, and the same happen on every edition after it.

This lead to all those different players playing the same rpg when they should be playing their own things.
>>
File: double eagle chick.jpg (225 KB, 780x587) Image search: [Google]
double eagle chick.jpg
225 KB, 780x587
If I was in charge of making D&D 6e, it would basically be my house-ruled 3.5 game, cleaned up and finished. But boy, the art would be fantastic. Not because I am great at art, but I'm fucking in charge so that's where we'll be spending the money: hiring an excellent illustrator and making the rulebook beautiful. It'll have full-art borders which tell a visual story of a team of adventurers as they journey through a dungeon, then the underdark, then the Abyss, Diablo-style. In both outer corners, there'll be an animation: one of a fighter kicking ass, the other of a dragon breathing fire (you hold the corner of the page and let the pages flip down to see him move).

It'll take too long to list my rules-changes in this post. Some notables:
. . • Fighters are a cross between Warblade and Swordsage
. . • Mages deal nonlethal damage to themselves when they cast, which can't be healed with magic. Kind of like the Spell Point system, except HP are the spell points. Fewer spell slots, too.
. . • damage (lethal and nonlethal) has an actual effect on people when they reach half and quarter HP.
. . • Fighter and Mage are the only core classes, its Generic Classes style. More classes can be in expansions, but F&M are meant to cover just about every archetype.
. . • feats are better, no boring prereqs to get to the cool stuff
. . • Most class features are now feats, characters get more feats.
. . • Some skills get merged, and there's no longer a class/cross-class distinction.
. . • There are only three ability scores.
. . • Combat actions (disarm, grapple, etc) don't provoke attacks of opportunity.
. . • LA races and monsters are modified into LA+0, with the rest of its powers in a monster class.
. . • My fantasy heartbreaker setting is default
And more, though underneath it all it'll still be good ol' 3.5, more or less. I believe a game designer should make a game they and their friends enjoy playing. You can't truly know what anyone else wants.
>>
File: tumblr_o1vx4eaXim1rrm90jo5_1280.png (577 KB, 818x1189) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1vx4eaXim1rrm90jo5_1280.png
577 KB, 818x1189
>>46797607

>Fix that MAD ass monk.
>Get rid of racial buffs - instead attributes are build based in backstory building. Get people away from claying cliched archetypes.

Seriously. Gene pool seems shallow for all people in the same race to get the same natural attributes.
>>
File: TRASH.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
TRASH.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>>46820946
>>
>>46803115
>But /tg/ will call you an evil jew.
They already call me that.
>>
>>46812052
>And I signed up to use MAGIC.
>5e got Cantrips right, at least. Very slow scaling, and at lowest levels, sub-crossbow damage, and never outdamages a Martial's strike.
>But it lets you throw around a bit of magic the whole time.
Pretty much.
The only real negative is that Martials still need ammo for ranged attacks.
>>
I'd steal ffgs narrative die and use them as a core mechanic.

Skills and spells both take the same resource to learn. Any class can learn a spell or skill if they meet the requirements.

Classes just give you perks that modify your spellcasting or sword hitting as appropriate.
>>
>>46811319
I like the analogy.
>>
>>46814253
Okay, now why would anyone use a dagger (or anything else with a smaller damage die) to fight a man in full plate? Unless of course you plan to add a system involving stabbing him in his slits holes or armpits?
>>
>>46822704
You mean called shots? Maybe. It's not like that hasn't existed as an alternative rule in D&D before, and imho people who haven't played called shots before were already doing something kind if similar crunchwise with power attack so it's not really that alien if you've never played with called shots.

You could also have surprise attacks do something like flat footed but it bypasses armor. Or rework some existing combat maneuvers to give you a chance to hit heavily armored foes. Just throwing these off the top of my head by the way, but they seem doable. Not the guy whose plan was to rework D&D this way (I'd make it more Fantasy Craft).

Obviously if you're going to scrap AC you would (re)balance a lot of things to work with it. Under AC people with fullplate of some kind are harder to hit, and relatively difficult at lower levels, but not impossible. If you had meh BAB you were in just as bad a place, and that was a sign that maybe you shouldn't fighting them. And then what about enemies with DR that already exists in D&D? But I digress.

TL;DR You don't just change one (big) thing and leave everything else unchanged
>>
Take 4e,
Give everyone temp HP
(equal to their bloodied),
Flatten the action economy.
Keep At-Wills the same
(maybe nerf the ranger's insanity?)
Fuel encounter powers with pain,
dailies with health regain
(turning healing surges into something less lame)
And give everyone ability,
to not make combat not so tame,
have all actions the same
(except for minors, which might as well be half-ers, round up like you've being doing always)
three attacks per turn
the frenzy you'll learn
makes initiative a concern,
so don't roll at the start
just when someone has a chance
to interrupt, counter or block.

Now this might seem like a lot
but I'm not ready to stop,
so that's enough for this block,
and I will continue in a following post.
>>
>>46797607
You die in the game your real cat dies too
>>
>>46823890
What if I don't own a cat?
>>
>>46797607
Adjust alignment so that it grants bonuses rather than restricts characters. You're a Lawful Good character? You become more persuasive when living by your code of honour. Chaotic Evil? You regain health by harming innocents. True Neutral? You get nothing.
>>
>>46823627

NO RHYMING RULES!
>>
>>46823627
>Start with 4e

Didn't read any further than that. You are clearly drunk anon.
>>
>>46824814
There is literally nothing wrong with 4e
>>
>>46827146
There's 4e fans, and then there's 4rries.
As one of the former, I am ashamed of you.
>>
>alignement is a simple tool to classify various behaviours for game interaction purposes and not a way to restrict characters
>antipaladin is lawful evil

You can see how that is contradictory, right?

Or did you mean to say "Alignment is a purely mechanical and not 'role play' system"?
>>
>>46797607
Remove the daily super power ability things.

Replace them with a daily power granted from specific deities or alignment.

Humans get +1 Wis +1 cha

Elves get +1 int

Halfligs get -1 dex

Dwarves get +1 con -1 Dex

Half-anythings get +1 Wis
5 more spaces for knowledge skills.

Clerics don't start with heavy armor Prof. But can take it as a feat.

Clerics get weapon focus mace.

Introduce a Dodge/party system.

Fighters cleave now hits all targets in 5ft., greater cleave doubles range and ignores allies.

Fighters get a special attack for their weapon they use.

Lunge
Riposte
Slam
Bash
Etc.
>>
>>46828065
>Dodge/Parry

You'd need to make armour do something else as well since Dodge/Parry mechanics would replace AC.
>>
>>46828139
I would treat it as follows.

When taking an attack choose whether you dodge, or parry the attack.

You dodge. Or fail or you parry, or fail

After you pass you either ignore the damage or deal damage by parrying and getting a free attack of opportunity which cannot provoke more attacks of opportunity of be parried/dodged.

If failed then you pull your shield up or arm, etc. And take the damage.

Now AC would need to be changed but I would do it so that armor blocks a specific damage off each attack, and anything over armor value is damage taken.
Or
I would have armor block a number of dice. 1d4 2d6. Etc

Also AC would also be used for attack rolls determining how hard it is to hit/damage.like it always does in addition to it reducing damage.
>>
>>46828139
>>46828349
Since I forgot to add.

I would make shields block a number of damage, and count for bonus AC. but they can't dodge.

Only 1 dodge or parry can be attempted. Per round probably.

You know what let me just copy and paste CoC rulebook and mix it with d&d 3.5 and that's what I want 6th edition to be.
>>
Honestly, I like a lot of 5e. Here's what I would do

> Focus on Content. Hire more people. Do mini folios every month/two weeks with setting or rules stuff. Seriously depends on how much they can handle, but I like the idea of keeping interest.
> Build a mobile app and website services that actually work well. Especially for referencing material. Partner with roll20.
> PDF releases. Please and thank you.
> Release a system hackers book for 5e with a fuckton of optional subsystems.
> Eliminate grid combat in the default product. Go with range banding. Include grid stuff in the optional stuff. (after market research)
> Cater heavily to new players and advertise. Impossible to make most of the fanbase happy, so why not. Lore stories every week on the website, possibly a good game/series/movie.
> Make startup game company with offshoot products that are more complex to cater to different groups. Don't link to wotc, but use the crap out of their market research.
> Support "player rolls the dice" as a primary thing. Also make the monster building more robust. Focus on minimizing GM load.
>>
>>46797607
Lethal and nonlethal damage buildups (with enough nonlethal damage cascading into lethal damage)
Damage type differentiation even for physical damage
Generalized AP system for ability activations and 4e-style martial powers to go with it
Discourage encounter short-rest encounter mentality and introduce fatigue as a thing you can take to restore AP or use HD to restore HP, but it reduces all rolls so you're balancing on that slope for all eternity
Classes are feature tracks you purchase from using XP, so you can pick and choose certain features and build how you like using XP-total restrictions (so you can buy X feature for 250XP provided you have a 2,000XP total or higher), races provide a similar feature set for certain racial features, but generally come with more than just the couple
Provide settings and rules in separate books, with any purchase qualifying you for a download and a 20% discount on physical books of the Forgotten Realms setting book
For core settings, Paladins stop being a thing and instead "Faithful of X" is implemented as a prestige class to something else - so for Mielikki in FR, the Faithful class would be ranger
All physical books contain a QR code to register to an online account allowing you to download a PDF of it and probably do some serialized shit for settings so they can be easily imported into Fantasy Grounds or some shit I dunno
Oh and also encourage players to start at different XP totals for different campaign tones because I swear the lack of talking about it in core material has to be contributing to the mindset that starting at anything other than level 1 is verboten

Basically, design a game that is a vague silhouette of D&D if you squint at ranges from 200-500m, but up close is not D&D, then use the brand name so it sells and people buy D&D then get to play something better
Ideally I'd even get to name it something other than D&D and get wizards' marketing to work their magic and tell the plebs it's really D&D 6th
>>
>>46797607
>4d6-4 instead of 1d20.
>Remove classes.
>Remove abilities.
>Introduce health, stamina, mana attribute system.
>Everything else, including martial and magical abilities, is based on skills and feats.
>Social encounters are roleplayed instead of rollplayed.
>Cut the skill list down to nine.
>Write a long list of feats which can be used to create nearly any character archetype.

I just want to play Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>46829118
>d6
>remove classes
>everything based on skills and feats
>a long list of feats which can be used to create nearly any character archetype.

Literally GURPS (minus ability scores).

Also if you're going to do stamina and mana have it work like psionics power points and fatigue.
>>
>>46816099
...No, I'm one of the '4e was shit on toast' guys.
It's great for making skirmish games of superpowered mutants fighting each other. It's probably great for simulating your MMO guild's raid night. From my perspective, it's terrible for actual DnD.
Aside from the system not being to my tastes at all, I also didn't like the aesthetics they were going for - aesthetics that are pretty much mirrored in those early, terrible, pre-Pathfinder Adventure Paths Paizo made. (Remember the part where you end up on the Isle of Dread, remembered as the setting of an adventure with no set goal where you explored where you wanted, but it just railroaded you around the island to specific set pieces? Yeah, those were shit times.)
>>
>>46797607
Make Pathfinder 6e
Just pull out the 10% thats bullshit
>>
>>46830129
You're working with Wizards, not Paizo. But if you were I recommend firing That "I used a computer mouse as a reference for weapon cords errata" Guy.
>>
>>46830004
>actual DnD
There is no such thing.
D&D had meant various different things even before 4e rolled around.
4e was WotC's attempt at making a game they knew something about.
Apparently, going back to flinging random shit at a wall and seeing what sticks seems more profitable to them.
>>
What do you guys reckon 5.5 or 6e will actually be like?
>>
>>46806784
Not him--and I would not say *most* people say it--but I've heard it often enough.

Just google '5e "second favorite edition"' and you'll get a lot of people saying it and why.
>>
>>46811319
>and 4E is basically the titty-fucking of D&D.
This...actually really works. Some people are really into it, other people say it doesn't count or didn't go far enough.
The whole metaphor works more than it probably should. Fair play.
>>
>>46815123
So Fate while also running a setting or scenario book.
Seriously, it's still Fate.
>>
>>46830688
RRRRREEEEEEEEEE! But I don't wanna play Fate! Next you're going to say >>46829235 is right too!
>>
>>46830688
> Seriously, it's still Fate.
You are just trolling now. Fate requires Fate Points to work. And nobody even mentioned Fate Points.
>>
>>46830991
D&D has had those for a while too.
>>
>>46831022
Eberron Action Points? I don't think they regenerated the way fate points do.
>>
>>46797820
perfect
exactly perfect
>>
>>46800491
> Half-orcs exist solely through rape
I just assumed that this is how all half orcs are made. Anyone who thinks differently is wrong!
>>
>>46810682
Bitter racist neckbeard detected!
>>
>>46814888
Let's elaborate.

1) Remove abilities: no more Str/Dex/Con/...
Some basic stats (Agility/Toughness) may still exist, but they are determined by class and (chosen or randomly rolled) background. Background also grants specific bonuses ("Ugly/Pretty" or "Persuasive" instead of high/low Charisma).

Why?

Rolling stats straight is too random, while giving players ability to put stats wherever they want makes those stats tied to the class.
>>
>>46809112

So has every other nihilistic high school freshmen. It's not like tumblrtards don't follow the same logic themselves.
>>
The only races are monstergirls. :^)
>>
>>46797607
>bard is a rogue subclass
>ranger is a fighter subclass
>sorcerer is a mage subclass
>Paladin is a cleric and fighter subclass
>clerics by default don't get armour
>=ore races are human, elf, dwarf, half elf, halfling,

>first supplement adds a massive ammount of new spells, magic items, monsters, and feats, you know, the fun stuff.
> second supplemt has epic level play rules, as well as monsters, traps, magic items, etc fitting the level

>third book is ebberron, adds ebberron races, lore, monsters, dragonmarks etc, because the lore is the same this book is cheap, in fact fuck you it'll be a small book. we'll make a load of lore free on the wizards site. printing costs down, book cost down = less people only getting pdfs maybe idk.

>fourth supplement is planescape, adds planetouched, genasai, etc. good shit all round;
>>
>>46830512
Another disaster.
>>
>>46831380
Cleric should also be mage subclass, no?

Provided it stays caster, not going monster-hunter Hellsing style, of course.
>>
>>46831511
Yeah, I'd like that actually.

My vision of the cleric is effectively a mage but with some different spells.

The cleric as it exists now will be the paladin option, a subclass of Fighter.
>>
>>46831333
You would probably get the monmusu audience but lose the grognard one
>>
>there are people in this thread who play humans in a fantasy game

Absolutely disgusting. You don't even deserve a mfw.
>>
>>46831511
>Cleric should also be mage subclass, no?

no, magic is powerful and versatile enough without giving it all to a single class. there's more than enough mechanical/fluff room to make two or more.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.