[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Non-official Keys words.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Mill.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Mill.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
Hey m/tg/ just wondering if you or the groups you run with use informal "Keywords" to describe magic cards.

For instance everyone already knows and uses "Mill X" to replace:
>Puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard

What else do you use?
>>
>OP here
Here are some of mine that I use. About half of these my whole LGS use, the other half are just me and my wife.

Two more obvious ones first
Reanimate: To return a permanent from the graveyard to the field.
Cantrip: A instant or Sorcery that lets you Draw a card in additional to other effects.

Grow X: Place X +1/+1 counters on a creature
Blink/Flicker: To exile a target permanent then return it to the field. Blink is usually returned at end of turn. Flicker is usually instantly.
Manadork: Often just "Dork" for short. A CMC 1 creature that produces mana some how.
Impulse X: That thing where red often exiles X cards off the library and you can cast them until end of turn.
Gravedig or reclaim: Return a creature / any card from the 'yard to your hand.
>>
>>46796354
Burn X: Do X damage to target creature, planeswalker or player.
>>
>>46796354
Is Unblockable a keyword yet? I kept running into cards with it the term "unblockable" wasn't officially a keyword at the time.

Also:
Plink: "Deal 1 damage to target creature or player." Or Planeswalker, I guess. It's the Prodigial Sorcerer ability.
Bounce: "Return target to owner's hand."
>>
>>46796354
Ping: >>46797998's Plink
>>
So far I've used every term listed except Gravedig/reclaim.

Saboteur: Creature with combat damage triggered ability.
Megatrample: Can assign all combat damage to player even if blocked. Not a common ability.
High Flying: Flying but also can only block fliers.
Freeze: Tap down, and doesn't untap on next untap step.

I'm personally pulling for "Obliviate" for O-ring type effects (exile on ETB, bring back on leave)
>>
>>46798419
>I'm personally pulling for "Obliviate" for O-ring type effects (exile on ETB, bring back on leave)
I know O-ring was first. But I prefer banish (as in banisher priest) as it rolls off the tongue easier.
>>
>>46798541
We all call them Onion Rings in my group
>>
Decking - Milling
Ping - Anything that does only 1 damage
Mind Rape - any card that lets you steal a spell from another players deck
>>
>>46797998
you mean tim?
>>
>Drain
Deal 1 damage, gain 1 life.
>>
>"Firebreathing"
1 mana for +1/+0 until end of turn.
>"Boardwipe"
Anything with "destroy/exile all..."
>"Reanimate"
Casting a creature from the graveyard.
>"Cantrip"
1 mana to do some shit, then draw a card.
>"[Subtype] Lord"
Gives +1/+1 and a keyword to all creatures of certain subtype.
>"Mine"
Any card which can destroy/exiler a Land.
>>
File: loot.png (131 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
loot.png
131 KB, 223x311
>>46796354
Filtering, or looting: Draw a card, then discard a card - as seen on Merfolk Looter.
>>
>>46796354 Grind X: Mill until you hit X lands.
Almost got officially keyworded under that name, but Dimir got Cipher instead.
>>
I "Crack" my fetch lands
>>
>>46800731
Firebreathing is specifically spending red mana.
Spending black mana for that effect is called Halitosis.
>>
>>46804713
Is crack specific to fetchlands, or is it any self sacrificing ability or non-creatures?
>>
File: Oubliette2.xlhq.jpg (667 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Oubliette2.xlhq.jpg
667 KB, 745x1040
>>46798541
>I know O-ring was first.
>he doesn't know about Oubliette
>>
>>46803066
And rummaging for Discard and then draw!
>>
>>46804917
Not original guy, but I've always used the term for any self-sacrificing ability. Except creatures, I guess; I don't think I've ever said, "Crack my Sakura-Trade Elder".
>>
>>46805109
I see now that I've typo'd "on" to "or".
Very mysterious.
>>
>>46797998
There's some sort of rules issue with making "unblockable" a keyword. The confusion is why they changed it to "cannot be blocked".
>>
>>46805129
Funny that one doesn't "crack" a creature though, English is a weird language.
>>
>>46804917

I say 'pop' for creatures

"I pop my Fume Spitter to put -1/-1 on that guy"
"poppin my Eldrazi Spawn for the mana"
>>
>>46796354
Ping : 1 damage
Shock : 2 damage
Bolt : 3 damage
Dome you for X : X damage to the player
Mill X : same as OP
Bounce : return to hand
Crack : activating a self-sacrifice ability ie fetchlands
Wrath : any variant of Wrath of God
Say Go : pass the turn
Flip : Transform

That's all that comes to mind
>>
>>46796354
Chump: Block with an expendable small creature
>>
>>46806782
I use Chump to mean "block, my guy dies yours doesn't"
Similarly Trade means both creatures die
Block means I expect my guy to survive
>>
File: food rice.jpg (93 KB, 433x433) Image search: [Google]
food rice.jpg
93 KB, 433x433
>>46806077
Then what the hell does "snapple" mean?
>>
>>46807188
A delicious fruity drink?
>>
>>46805141
I think it because there is an issue whenever a creature, already blocked, is made unblockable before damafe is dealt.
>>
>>46806935
Same, but we say potato instead of chump.
>>
>>46809203
What issue? works/worked just fine.
>>
>>46809203
There's no issue, it just stays blocked.
>>46805141
The reason why they stopped it was unblockability was often conditional , keywords don't work for that, so they stopped phrasing it like a keyword, even though it never was.
It was the same like indestructible before it was a keyword, it just looked like one, but it was just ''something that is true" about the creatures.
>>
>>46804917
You also crack Expedition Map, eggs, Oblivion Stone and any Planeswalker that hits the bin after using an ability (-2 Lili when she has 2 counters).
>>
wheel, discard hand, draw 7 (or redraw handsize)
sac, sacrifice anything
etb, enters battlefield trigger
value, a powerful/useful card that is cheap to purchase with real cash
tutor, search library for a card
>>
>>46806782
>>46806935

Question: In a chump block, is the chump the idiot who steps in front of the Giant Growthed Wurm with eighteen +1/+1 counters, or the one who wastes their entire 23/18 attack bopping a Soldier token on the head, then gives up and goes home? Use techniques of writing to persuade, argue and advise to explain your point of view in 500 words or less.
>>
>>46809367
the chump is you.
>>
>>46804934
>That wording
Oh how far we've come.
>>
>>46809367

Chumps or mooks are little creatures whose use to you is their ability to die instead of you

Chump blocking is when your blocker will not survive nor kill what it's blocking, the chump is definitely the creature that dies
>>
>>46798419
>Megatrample: Can assign all combat damage to player even if blocked. Not a common ability.
>Not Supertramp
>ISHHIFSSDYEFD
>>
>>46812365
Goodbye Stranger.
It's been nice.
Hope you find your, paradise.
>>
>>46796354
Some guy at my LGS calls "when [creature] deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it" tromple, e.g. "My Vampire Tromple deck won 4-0 at FNM"
>>
>>46810736
Have no fear!
Oracle text is here!

>When Oubliette enters the battlefield, exile target creature and all Auras attached to it.
>Note the number and kind of counters that were on that creature.

>When Oubliette leaves the battlefield, return that exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control tapped with the noted number and kind of counters on it.
>If you do, return the other exiled cards to the battlefield under their owner's control attached to that permanent.
>>
>>46812607
That's also called Slithing (after the Mirrodin cycle of Sliths).
The name tromple comes from RNN card egenerators, if you're curious.
>>
>>46812664
*generators
>>
>>46796354
Semi-related: I don't like how they changed "is indestructible" to "has indestructible."

"Avacyn, Angel of Hope and other creatures you control are indestructible" is much cooler than "Indestructible; Other creatures you control have indestructible."
>>
>>46815256
It emphasizes how it applies only when Avacyn in aboard.
>>
>>46815256
>>46815302
The main change is that indestructible used to be just a fact. Now it is an ability. So the old wording didn't mean they gained an ability, they just were indestructible. The new wording means they gain an ability, would can then be lost.
>>
File: Cast Aside.png (284 KB, 396x554) Image search: [Google]
Cast Aside.png
284 KB, 396x554
>>46796354
Some friends and I were thinking of making some homebrew mtg cards, and we realized that what the game needs isn't more keywords, but more subtypes.

For example, in out homebrew mtg, cards like lightning bolt and doom blade have the subtype 'removal,' while cards like cancel have the suptype 'counter'

This allows for the design of cards that, before this change, would have been much more difficult to design, pic related.
>>
Seeing as we are on the subject. What do you guys think are the most retarded slang terms in mtg? For me it's probably tangolands. When bfz was spoiled I thought the board was meming when they brought up the term but no, some people actuallt think it's such a fitting name for em.
>>
>>46796496
>Impulse X: That thing where red often exiles X cards off the library and you can cast them until end of turn.
I've never heard this one.
Most of the time when people say "impulse", they are talking about the actual card.
>>
>>46796496
I've heard Impulse (with no number) as what you would call Impulse 1.
But I've never heard it with a number.
>>46816359
>they are talking about the actual card.
This too, sometimes.
A lot less often though.
>>
>>46816422
Impulse is kinda the pet cantrip of all the blue players here. It ends up on sticks all the damn time.
>>
>>46816474
As a Pauper player, I don't think it's seen play since WotC banned the Esper Familiars wincon.
>>
>>46798903
"I'm gonna cast quarantine field for 8, so it comes in with three onion ring counters"
>>
File: sensible chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>46804765
>Spending black mana for that effect is called Halitosis.
>>
>>46818721
I've never heard anyone call it anything else.
>>
>>46815894
Might be interesting. Doom blade and bolt don't belong in the same subtype though, because bolt can hit face (and often is meant to).

I feel like you need to go really general with your subtypes if you don't want your design space to feel restricted. Too specific, and you'll feel the need to force any new cards into a specific subtype (having a ton of them like with creatures is impractical for what you want).

Then what about spells with modes? Do they change type depending on the modes you pick, or is it always every subtype? What about spells that draw cards AND kill a creature? Is it one of those two subtypes, or does it have both?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.