[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Unnecessary acrobatics edition: tell me your tales of players wanting to do stupid shit in the middle of fights, just because they think it sounds cool

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/YhdxTQS6

Previous thread: >>46777366
>>
Jump up on tree / rock to shoot their bow.
>>
>>46790358
The party was charging into a royal ball to stop a poisoning attempt on their patron (a duke and about sixth in line for the throne, for whom they worked as private agents). It started as a fight on the rooftop when they were prevented from entering without an invitation. So they went over the fence and planned to use the roof, but a dispel rune caught them and killed the invisibility, starting the fight with the guards that hamstrung them because they had to stay nonlethal.

While dueling on top of the glass skylight, one of the players, the Magus, happened to look down and with a stupidly high Perception result (~33 or something) saw the duke speaking with the countess they thought was a vampire (she wasn't) and poisoner (she was).

So he wanted to shatter the (magically hardened) glass, leap down, swing off the chandelier to avoid the fall damage from the straight drop, and save their patron.

Unfortunately he flubbed the roll. He broke the glass, cracked his face on the chandelier and then fell into the buffet table before impaling his shoulder on stag antlers. Ironically the stag had been killed by the party when they accompanied their patron on the hunt earlier that day.

On the bright side, the commotion and abrupt halt to the festivities meant that the duke wasn't poisoned that night.
>>
>>46790358
One of my players dove out of a 40 ft. high window after an enemy who had jumped out of the window to escape. Neither the player nor the enemy could fly.
>>
>>46790485
Mission accomplished, then.
>>
>>46790358
Once the party was in a dragon lair and fighting through a horde of kobolds. They were currently trying to get through one of several murderhalls the kobolds had made, this one being ten feet wide with short barriers alternating between the left and right side, such that you'd have to take a wiggling, zig-zag path to walk down the wall. There were kobolds with crossbows behind most of these barriers, using them for cover when they weren't popping up to briefly snap off a shot at the PCs. There were also holes in the left and right walls, where more kobolds on the other side of said walls could stab at PCs with their spears, but that's not relevant here. The dwarf ended up doing an acrobatic leap and running across the barricades, jumping from one to the next to get to the opposite end of the hall so that the party could attack the kobolds from both ends of the hall at once.

So, that was pretty cool.
>>
Olney listened to rumors of old times and far places, and heard how the kings of Atlantis fought with the slippery blasphemies that wriggled out of rifts in ocean's floor
>>
>>46790358
I once had my players in a chamber with a 20 foot wide river of lava flowing through it. There was a draw bridge across the river, but both sides were raised at the time. They pulled the lever on their bank and their half of the bridge lowered, but the other side was still raised. I expected them to use a rope as a lasso or fire an arrow at the lever on the opposing side to lower the bridge, but the ninja had other ideas: he was dead set that he was going to jump the river. Okay fine, a DC 20 acrobatics check isn't too bad, and it's made trivial since he had acrobatics master. Unfortunately instead of trying to jump across the river, he decides he'll run along the lowered section of bridge and jump up to catch the top of the other section of bridge (10 ft. horizontal and 10 ft. vertical makes for a DC 30 check with high jumper). It's still doable, so he makes his roll. Natural 1. He also flubs his check to catch himself while falling. Out of mercy I allowed him to spend another ki point to vault off of the wall and tumble back onto the bridge. They used a lasso to pull the lever after that and went on their merry way.
>>
How would i make a shout barbarian like diablo ii? I just want to yell at things until they die. Skald and just use shout spell?
>>
>>46791506
>I just want to yell at things until they die.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/sound-striker ?
>>
File: beguiler_beguiler.jpg (99 KB, 400x628) Image search: [Google]
beguiler_beguiler.jpg
99 KB, 400x628
> http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qmqe&page=12?Beguiler-conversion-for-Pathfinder#582

Is it just me or did Ertw just suggest that my beguiler could have a beguiler as his familiar?
>>
>>46791546
Looks like you could get pretty close using a cat as the base familiar, yeah.
>>
>>46791506
Thundercaller bard.
Soundstriker bard.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>46791546
Unsurprising, used to be a running joke to try and do that in 3.5.
>>
Is there any way a cleric can cast barkskin at their caster level without taking one of the domains with it in eg defence domain? I'm looking to boost my AC to ridiculous levels but giving up luck/liberation/travel would suck.
>>
>>46792197

Reminds me of the time my friend made a beguiler beguiler. He met an NPC he liked, so he wanted to beguiler beguiler beguile 'er, but he wasn't enough of a beguiler beguiler to beguiler beguiler beguile 'er. He needed to become a beguile-r beguiler beguiler to beguiler beguiler beguile 'er.
>>
>>46792289
Buffalo?
>>
Something I never liked about d20 was that the fantasy world operated according to how modern science described real life except with magic tacked on. Ignoring for a moment that magic throws modern scientific understanding out the window, this led to such annoyances as the martial/caster disparity, unnecessary monster ecologies, all encompassing anti-magic, and the arbitrary distinction between natural, extraordinary, supernatural and spell-like abilities, among other annoyances.

I always preferred if the fantasy world operated the way animistic peoples, medieval peasants and pseudoscientific crackpots in our world thought it did. Spontaneous generation, miasma theory of disease, the four humors, spiritual forces, etc. Gravity doesn't operate because there's gravitational force, it operates because the gods made it a law enforced by gravity spirits. People don't get sick because of pathogens, they get sick because of evil spirits. And so forth.

The delusion of fantasy worlds being exactly like reality except magic ruined the genre for me.
>>
>>46792419
This makes writing lore and fluff so much harder and time intensive.
>>
>>46792419
Sounds cool, why not make your own campaign setting utilizing those themes? I'd sure as hell play it.
>>
>>46792419

You could try reading some of the more out there stuff in Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>46792468
Which does?

>>46792503
There is one. It's called Exalted.
>>
>>46792599
>Which does?
Makes it more difficult to write for when you are using a pool of people, compared to a single or handful.
On top of that, most people ignore such intensive fluff bits anyway.
>>
>>46792599
Exalted isn't exactly european fantasy, bro.
>>
>>46792279
Are you willing to give up the spells from one of your domains in order to get the spells from the defense domain, if you can keep the domain powers from your original domain? Because the Ecclesitheurge archetype will allow you to do that... At the expense of not being able to wear armor. But you get a couple other perks out of it.

It's an archetype that seems pretty divisive, everyone seems to think it's either AMAZING or ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT. I guess it probably depends on who your god is and what domains you get to play around with.
>>
Question PFG:

I'm a new DM, and one of my players is a level eight zen archer. A different player is a alchemist.

So far, the alchemist has not given an extract of fly to the zen archer, but I think he might soon and then I have a problem.

Apart from saying "welp, you in a dungeon with a 5 foot celing", how do i deal with a flying zen archer?
>>
>>46792599
>Which does?
Writing a fantasy world that operates like people used to believe, the research required alone quadruples the effort involved; writing accurate historical period drama is difficult enough.
>>
>>46792644
>>46792756
It's still silly and arbitrary. PF already has kami and psychopomps, why not everything else? Just assume everything has a magical or otherwise not real explanation, like the sort of nonsense Greek philosophers and children would make believe. Everything.

>>46792665
Not that difficult to reflavor. Add European weapons and architecture and fashions.
>>
>>46792748
Flying enemies.
Ranged enemies.
Enemies with reach.

What's the issue with a flying zen archer in the first place?
>>
>>46792748
Flying enemies, enemies with tanglefoot bags or similar spells/defenses, enemy archers defended by enemy shieldbearers, mages prepare one use of dispel magic, Darkness and other obscuring effects and magics, reach weapons, lassos or nets, ceiling obstructions.

In other words, have enemies act intelligent and not videogame mooks
>>
>>46792807
You are ignoring how supernatural forces created the world to begin with, that it is not a "d20" issue, or that there are actual definitive powers that exist that can say "This is how and why this works the way it does".
As soon as you throw in something on the scale of gods and primal powers, which can be communicated with, into the setting, what you want makes absolutely no sense outside the most backwater, isolated communities.
>>
>>46792748
Supress him with mages fire power, or send him tons of flying enemies, that should work, its not a big deal desu.
>>
File: image.png (102 KB, 314x333) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102 KB, 314x333
>>46792748
Why are you even worried, he's still just a monk.
>>
>>46792748
Well there are multiple entire species of creatures that live on ceilings and stalagtites that you could have... but it's probably best to just start putting creatures with ranged weapons or ranged attackers in amongst them. And a spellcaster every few encounters is not uncalled-for: they have virtually no impediment for dealing with him and can in fact cause his own flight to stop working.
>>
>>46792840
the main issue is that i'm a scrub. First game i ever ran, and I don't have much experence playing ether.

>>46792890
Thanks. Didn't think about using vision blocking abilities.

Is there a "list" of monsters and what they do? I can read the stat block, but I often can't really figure out what they actually DO in combat.
>>
>>46793005
he is the only player that is actually really good. I think he knows the rules better than any of us and has played a lot before.

I think he intentionally isn't asking for an extract of fly.
>>
>>46792921
And you are ignoring that the cultures who invented the myths d20/PF liberally rips-off believed that the world ran on magic and gods' fiat, not science. When modern writers tried to tackle it, they didn't understand this and thus the resulting cosmology was inconsistent and Earth-centric.
>>
>>46792748
What is wrong with flying at level 8?
>>
>>46793017
>Is there a "list" of monsters and what they do?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary

You can click on the skills and abilities to get a description.

If you are a newbie, I would advise against DMing such a "high" level campaign. Starting at low level allows you to get a hang of things more easily without your players having too many options for you to consider.
>>
>>46793017
>but I often can't really figure out what they actually DO in combat.
That's often up to the GM. My advise is to look at the creature's Feats, Special Abilities, and magical capabilities, then think about how to use/make this things interact in the world.

And remember, its in your power to take a creatures abilities feats and magics, and rearrange them around as appropriate. Nothing is stoping you from giving guys one or two tanglefoot bags, or give the guy with Wizard or Druid Casting Sirocco
>>
Pfg i have a question: Can i somehow play the darkness domain without have to go shouting "booh, booh!" around? (being evil or neutral)
>>
>>46793017
Horn of fog, smoke pellet/bomb, mist, fog. Windwall.
>>
>>46793079
I think you can be within one step of your deity, and there are a couple and at least one good deity with the darkness domain. If those don't do it for you, then you can be a cleric of a concept, embracing the darkness to haunt/hunt the monsters that live in it. Though that doesn't work in some settings.

http://archivesofnethys.com/DeitiesByGroup.aspx
>>
>>46793079
http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Tanagaar

Owl are not bird.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (8 KB, 355x142) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
8 KB, 355x142
>>46793079
Cleric of Desna or some moon/star based god

Darkness is peaceful and quiet. It grants respite and comfort for many as a soothing blanket. While other use darkness for protection or to provide them their nightly livelihood. While light may blind, dark conceals and hides away the dangers of the world.

There is a serene clarity in the dark, one that is needed to balance life in the light. While those of the light bear the mantle of illumination, you carry the blanket of dreams
>>
>>46793047
Oh, then again, why are you even worried, he sounds like a great player
>>
>>46793185

>Grants respite and comfort for many as a soothing blanket

TELL THAT TO THE FUCKING COFFEE TABLE I BANGED MY SHIN ON.

FUCKING DARKNESS.
>>
>>46792503
>>46792419
Glorantha operates like that. The sky is a solid hemisphere, diseases are caused by spirits, etc. Very much not modern science.
>>
>>46793144
>>46793155
>>46793185

Thank you so much, mates.
>>
How much money do you think permanent DR 5/Bludgeoning would be worth, compared to a smaller amount of DR pierced by adamantine or something else enemies aren't as likely to have??
>>
>>46793241
>owning a coffee table
>not ottomans
You brought this one on yourself famlam
>>
Quick question guys!

I heard sleep is a fairly amazing spell for a witch, just wondering how common things are with more than 4 HD?
>>
>>46793521
S L U M B E R
H E X

Fuck sleep as a spell, use the slumber hex. Read a witch guide.
>>
>>46793535
I literally just found this.

Thanks brother man.

Also any suggestion of a guide to read? Or just google any old one?
>>
>>46793521
Generally, you will be fighting monsters whose number of HD is close to or a little lower than your level. That rule becomes less and less accurate as you get to higher levels though, and by the time you're at level 20 you should expect everything to have 30-something HD... But of course, Sleep and other HD-limited spells will have become useless long before then.

Anyway, you're thinking of the Slumber Hex. The Evil Eye and Cackle Hexes are also very popular choices.
>>
>>46793017
>Is there a "list" of monsters and what they do?
Not as such, this is probably the closest to it and it doesn't seem like it would be very helpful to you: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-roles

>I can read the stat block, but I often can't really figure out what they actually DO in combat.
As for that... well, it's hard to give a singular answer, since it really varies by the encounter itself - a lone monster is often forced into melee whether it has abilities to support that role or not, unless it has movement capabilities beyond what the PCs do, while a group of monsters can benefit from more advanced tactics. And then you have to account for terrain, morale and other factors. The best way to start is to look at it's special abilities, SLAs and the like: If they're usable in combat, the monster will generally prefer to use those and even form its tactics around them. If it has abilities like fireball, for example, chances are that it prefers to stay away from melee and use the spells(or spell-like abilities) to attack before or instead of wading into melee. Then you look at normal attacks and other abilities: Large(and bigger) creatures, for example, are generally at an advantage when it comes to combat maneuvers as well as having reach which can help them avoid AoOs. That means ability to use trip and other combat maneuvers without provoking AoOs even without feats to support them. And of course, creatures with ranged attacks will generally prefer to use those instead of closing into melee. (cont)
>>
>>46792599
Exalted is kind of in an odd spot, though, because it actually runs on magic, except it's magic that looks like modern physics, except it's magic that looks like modern physics except when magic takes over.

Like, there's gods and beastpeople and whatever running about, but there's also explicitly cholera and dysentery and people dying of malnutrition and other distinctly real-world stuff, and even study of chemical and biological science that resembles the real-world equivalent.
>>
>>46793558
The zenith guide repository in the op pastebin has a lot of good guides. I don't really like the witch guides personally, but they're better than nothing, even if they're old and missing a few of the newer things.

Admittedly, the only guide I really really like is that one magus thread on gitp.
>>
>>46793596 (cont)
You also need to factor in their intelligence(and wisdom, to a lesser degree): a mindless creature will generally just attack the closest creature until dying, an animal intelligence creature, especially if predatory, is smart enough to target the weakest appearing members of the party and, unless either driven by someone smarter or insane with rage(or just generally insane), will often run away if wounded(or in case of pack animals, if the pack is weakened enough). A creature with 3+ intelligence is capable of abstract thinking however crude, and might attempt to use terrain, simple traps or deception to its advantage(though rarely very well). A creature with 10 intelligence or higher can generally be assumed to be capable of advanced and complex strategies, at least if given time to prepare.

Let's use an adult black dragon as an example: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon/chromatic-black/adult-black-dragon
First, we look at its special abilities and attacks: It has a potent breath weapon, frightening presence, at-will darkness, dragon senses(which includes darkvision and blindsense), corrupt water(not important in a combat encounter), speak with reptiles(not important unless it has reptile minions), swamp stride, water breathing and a bunch of spells. You can also see that it has 14 intelligence - it's damn near genius-level! - an impressive set of melee attacks and a fly speed faster than the PCs can possibly achieve at the level where it might be a threat. It also has a fairly decent defences.
>>
>>46793631 (cont)
So how might this encounter play out? It's not stupid, and it has much better senses than the PCs, so it's not going to be caught by a surprised unless your players are really good at planning. The obvious strategy is to drop darkness on the PCs, hit them with the breath weapon and maybe cast obscuring mist to further hinder the PCs before dropping into melee, but if it can overcome its arrogance and is convinced that the PCs are actually a threat to it, it won't be doing that except maybe the first part. With fast flight speed an unlimited use breath weapon, dragons are virtually purpose built for kiting. It can also take the combat under water: Grapple the nearest squishy target and dive! The victim is almost certain to perish, and the rest of the party members can't easily help them. Start over and repeat, and it might well wipe out an entire ill-prepared party.
>>
>>46793363
I'm of the opinion shit like 5/bludgeoning is more worthwhile than 2 or 3/adamantine, because you'd be surprised how often enemies have piercing or slashing (most animals/humanoids) and how often DR doesn't matter.
I also hold the opinion that DR is one of the most overblown, overpriced abilities in the whole of the OGL. I'd charge 1k per pip, up to 20 for bludgeoning.
>>
>>46793652
>you'd be surprised how often enemies have piercing or slashing (most animals/humanoids)
Humanoids, maybe, but most natural attacks(including bite and claws) deal bludgeoning damage or some combination of bludgeoning and other damage types. See http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks
>>
>>46793711
Claws are slashing/piercing, bites are piercing bludgeoning.
You are more likely to encounter claws than bites.
>>
>>46793737
Read the damn chart I just linked. Bites are all damage types, claws are bludgeoning and slashing.
>>
>>46793628
Walter's guide to the Magus? Hah, it's because of that guide that for the longest time I associated the Iconic Magus more with the name Walter than I did with... Whatever his actual name is. Actually, I still associate him more with the name Walter.
>>
>>46794060
Actually the Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel one. For all intents and purposes, assuming 1pp only, it covers absolutely EVERYTHING you would need to know, and gets updated every time paizo releases anything that would add to/change what the magus has.

>tfw still haven't gotten to play a magus yet, even though it's my favorite 1pp class.
>>
>>46793711
How do attacks that deal multiple types of physical damage interact with DR? Like, an attack that deals slashing and piercing damage against DR/Slashing? If it works like energy damage and resistance do, being a mix of the two physical types means the slashing part will get past the DR but the piercing part won't, and the damage will be reduced anyway. If you have an attack that deals half fire and half electric damage, having Fire Resistance 10 means the attack is still reduced by 10 damage (or less, if the total portion of fire damage is less than 10).

>>46794109
Magus was the first class I ever played, and I love it.
>>
>>46794133
>How do attacks that deal multiple types of physical damage interact with DR? Like, an attack that deals slashing and piercing damage against DR/Slashing? If it works like energy damage and resistance do, being a mix of the two physical types means the slashing part will get past the DR but the piercing part won't, and the damage will be reduced anyway. If you have an attack that deals half fire and half electric damage, having Fire Resistance 10 means the attack is still reduced by 10 damage (or less, if the total portion of fire damage is less than 10).
Counts as both types simultaneously. So a morningstar completely ignores both DR/bludgeoning and DR/piercing, for example.
>>
File: GGXrdKyKiske02.jpg (485 KB, 925x1530) Image search: [Google]
GGXrdKyKiske02.jpg
485 KB, 925x1530
>>46794133
Actually I lied, Alchemist is probably my all-time favorite. The Magus is still close second, and I really wish I could get a chance to play one sometime. I've been wanting to try an ice-themed bladebound/hexcrafter ever since I realized the frostbite build was a thing.

Being able to do an Alchemist||Magus gestalt would be even MORE ballin', though.
>>
>>46794286
I actually prefer Investigators to Alchemists.
>>
File: 1447263270212.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447263270212.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
Why isn't there a comfy AP set in Qadira built around the party becoming the wealthiest shits in the land of wealthy shits?
>>
>>46794380
Probably because that basis alone probably wouldn't sell many copies. I'd recommend where the players instigate incursions against Taldor, and use that as opportunities to capture businesses in Qadira.
>>
>>46794286
I too have a secret desire for a gestalt Magus build. Ever since I saw the Vortex Spells revelation that Wind Oracles get (stagger enemies with no save every time you crit them with a spell) I've known I want to combine that with Magus.

Honestly, even though people complain often that the Magus is a one-trick pony that does nothing but ride Intensified Shocking Grasp, I think the class is actually way more versatile than people give it credit for, mostly on account of the variety of good archetypes it has.

Also, I had an Alchemist character once, but I haven't had a chance to play him. He's a CN "I look out for numero uno" Alchemist that prestiges into Master Chymist, and the persona splitting rent on that body with him is a LG mantis-bee-hybrid looking monster whose priorities mainly include protecting its "colony", AKA the rest of the party.
>>
>>46794380
Misandry.
>>
>>46794650

Do you think people would really do this?

Go on the internet and post memes?
>>
>>46794380
Die capitalist scum
>>
>>46794380
Well there has to be more to it than that for the campaign to be compelling at all. A lot more.
>>
File: e75.jpg (33 KB, 413x569) Image search: [Google]
e75.jpg
33 KB, 413x569
Are you ready for book three of Hell's Vengeance, /pfg/? And more importantly, are you ready for round two of the Evil Iomedae memes?

From the first review on Paizo's own site:
>A random encounter has the party run into one of said Glorious Reclamation intelligence agents whose detect evil and keen wit cuts through Bluff checks, disguise, polymorph, and undetectable alignment like a hot knife through butter. He is a Paladin of Iomedae, and is accompanied by a group of s*!~ty fighters, made s$@@tier by the fact that all of them are Fatigued. This Paladin of Iomedae hails you(!), acknowledges you as agents of thrune(!!!), and offers surrender, because his troops are so tired. In exchange for leading them back to the path, he promises the contents of a chest his idiot buddies are carrying ten feet behind him, as well as his solemn vow that he will go back and tell the other Glorious Dudes to back off, Thrune has this whole Gate situation handled. What casts this into the realm of complete and total insanity is that he is LYING. In this course of this adventure path, you will be lied to by a paladin of iomedae, with the game noting that he will seek atonement later. They do not say this causes him to fall.
>Okay, what. First, the whole premise is bent from the very beginning, since the book assumes that the Lawful Evil, Bad guy, Puppy Punter, Back Stabbing maniacs in the party will EVER accept surrender. If the situation was reversed, and you were a posse of paladins who ran into an Antipaladin who had run out of underlings to cannibalize, you would be expected to murder him! What's more, paladins of Iomedae have specific tenets in Inner Sea Gods, two of which are "I will suffer death before dishonor," and "I will not be taken prisoner by my free will. I will not surrender those under my command." According to paizo, this particular example should have fallen THREE TIMES, once for lying, once for surrendering, and once for surrendering for his troops!
>>
File: CONSTRUCTION MAN HARDER.png (73 KB, 505x443) Image search: [Google]
CONSTRUCTION MAN HARDER.png
73 KB, 505x443
>>46794494
The ISG build is just kind of the braindead-but-effective build, which is acceptable. If people can't notice that you have a billion options, that's their loss.

I initially started looking at gestalts because my GM wanted to run a solo campaign, and I didn't notice that master summoner was a thing at the time. Unfortunately he still doesn't really get it, so I doubt I'll ever get my chance to make "Single dad with a snarky intelligent sword" a reality. On the bright side, at least master summoner would be on the table.
>>
I'm a level 15 zealot, I have ~65k gm left to spend, and unsure what to spend it on.

I completely gave up on AC, didn't even buy armor, so I have 9 AC. If I spend the rest of my gold on AC items I can get it up to like ~31 AC.

My saves are good:
Fort: 28
Ref: 19
Will: 28

And my HP is 192

I don't really need vision based items because I have a stance that does that, same with flying and endurance for surviving in various environmental conditions.

Really drawing a blank here. Amy those crystals that give me back power points? I only have 105 per day.
>>
>>46794822
I hope it gives a LOT of information on what is supposed to happen when the party kills him.
>>
>>46793604
>Like, there's gods and beastpeople and whatever running about, but there's also explicitly cholera and dysentery and people dying of malnutrition and other distinctly real-world stuff,
Medieval peasants knew about malnutrition. Any agricultural society does.

Cholera and dysentery are obviously caused by evil spirits who may be warded by boiling the water they infest.

>and even study of chemical and biological science that resembles the real-world equivalent.
Yeah, that makes no sense considering Creation is not even composed of atoms, much less the periodic table of elements or biological macromolecules.
>>
>>46794822
book two is out?
>>
>>46794904
>Creation doesn't have biological macromolecules

But it does. They explicitly reference biological chemical compounds as one of the things the First Age studied in one of the 1e caste books.

The setting is simultaneously "magic drives everything" and "something that looks like modern physics drives everything". When the two conflict, weird fate errors happen and the Sidereals get dispatched to go out and slap a bitch.
>>
>>46794872
Buy armor, not for the AC, but for the special abilities.
At this point, you are better off pumping for miss chances and such.
>>
>>46794904
>Medieval peasants knew about malnutrition

It wasn't quite that simple, they knew about simple wasting malnutrition but didn't understand why somebody could die from starvation despite having fat on their bones or specific foods that should be eaten to get rid of a deficient.
>>
>>46792748
By level 8, creatures that don't fly or have ranged attacks might as well not exist. If you had a wizard in your party, they'd be irrelevant by level 3.
>>
>>46795086
I'm having trouble finding literature on this. Know any sources?
>>
>Any weapon held by the cavalier gains the Flaming enchantment, and if the weapon is already enchanted with Flaming it gains Flaming Burst.
>At a later level, the weapon is also imbued with Holy

Does this seem too strong for an archetype that replaces the Tactician aspects of the Cavalier?
>>
>>46795194
Look up the history of scurvy on wikipedia for a simple example.
>>
>>46795199
No
>>
>>46795227
The Ebers papyrus states that the ancient Egyptians treated scurvy with onions (containing vitamin C).
>>
>>46795199
It's too weak. Past the early levels a lot of enemies will be resistant or immune to fire, and the damage is trivial anyway.
>>
File: Ion.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Ion.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
>>46793017
First, be careful with the very notion of "how do I deal with". You're immediately treating the player's ability as being "a problem" that "needs to be solved".

A Flying Zen Archer can and will be safe from a lot more than he used to be. This is only natural. At the very minimum, even if there's a ceiling 10ft up, if you can hover a foot above the ground you're at LEAST no longer triggering them pressure plates!

Of course that's if he flies. Just as many players forget about it and walk along the ground until they need to use the flight to directly avoid a chasm or something.

Now, if he can put 2 and 2 together and can make that DC 15 on a 1+ (and if he's level 8, that should already be the case - only questionable because maybe his dex ain't so great because his build) he should be up in the air whenever he can.

At this point, many things simply can no longer threaten him. They can't. If you're 20ft up in the air raining arrows down on your enemies, and the enemies have claws and teeth and could jump 10ft up, They're fucked.

However, there is little cover in the sky. There is also, for sapient entities, an inherent understanding. "Geek the Mage, Autocannon the flyers" and so on. It's understood by those WITH range that if they don't take you down ASAP, their side may VERY soon be left to FUCKING DIE HELPLESSLY. And they won't like this.

A true flyer is a priority target for those things that CAN target and threaten him, for the same reasons he likely targets them.

One freebie for you though: you'd be amazed even outside in the plains how fucking often flying PCs will stick to like 20ft above so they're close to their companions, and basically stay there..... Until some large critter with a polearm, or a huge, or whatever - things that can easily whack shit at that distance - takes a full attack to bite their fucking leg off.
>>
File: Racialmax.png (788 KB, 1122x616) Image search: [Google]
Racialmax.png
788 KB, 1122x616
>>46793631
>14
>Genius

You're right. But it's really fucked up how people often look at that 14 and think "wow, what a fucking retard".

Yet, they're not retards at all with a 14. That wizard with 28 after items,etc is a fucked up anomaly, his thought process now utterly fucking alien and disturbing.

Of course then you have "it's how you use it" caused by the player behind that score, like how the guy with 16 int in our party has put his intellect to far greater, more creative, and more complex uses than the one with 22 ever did.

The 22 may have a lot of spells per day, but she's a little..........
>>
>>46795482

Who was it that said something to the effect of "dumb people can only make dumb mistakes, but a smart person can fail in truly incredible ways"?
>>
If I played a setting where reality runs on magic like Glorantha and Ars Magica, not modern science, what sorts of plot hooks do you suggest this opens up? What sorts of house rules would be necessary to reflect the cosmology?
>>
>>46795482
That's why "Intelligence" was supposed to mean "computational speed" (Because Magic is hyperdimensional mathematics and takes a crazy amount of cycles).
>>
>>46795684
Well for one thing crossbows and firearms would no longer have an excuse for sucking.
>Uh, we made it slow because realism
>We can't make it strong that would be bad game balance, ignore realism
>Ignore realism? No it needs to suck!
>>
File: 3IQ.jpg (87 KB, 386x335) Image search: [Google]
3IQ.jpg
87 KB, 386x335
>>46795635
Though Anon's picture is referring to a girl that's kind of....

"godlike intellect" is a goddamn insult in konosuba isn't it.
>>
>>46795832

Well, yeah, but I was referring to Anon's talk of a 22 INT party member who doesn't quite live up to it.
>>
Could anyone please upload the trailblazer .pdf?
I can't find a pirated copy anywhere.
>>
How good are feint builds? I'm considering going sanctified slayer and with me being my party's only melee, I need some way to make use of sneak attack.
>>
>>46796762
Generally not too great. You're probably better off with a more direct Slayer build, especially as the only frontliner.
>>
>>46796834
Well, fuck. Is there any other decent Inquisitor archetypes? I loved Sanctified Slayer but I don't know if I can get the most of it with my party setup outside of feinting all the time.
>>
>>46796887
If you don't think it'll work with your group, play something that will and refluff it.
>>
>>46796762
>>46796887
I think >>46796834 confused the Sanctified Slayer inquisitor with the Slayer class. It's a perfectly good archetype, just don't bother with feint. Studied Target is a much more consistent source of bonuses anyway, so just keep sneak attack in reserve, maybe take Press to the Wall if you think you'll be in close quarters often enough.
>>
How many weapons can I hide on my body with Sleight of Hand?
>>
File: 1459127706103.png (14 KB, 191x234) Image search: [Google]
1459127706103.png
14 KB, 191x234
Have you ever run a game where the PCs were children, /pfg/? Tell me about it! How did it go?
>>
>>46796887
Sanctified Slayer is a way better Slayer than Slayer is, don't listen to that anon.

You should have some spells capable of letting you flank/deny dex to enemies, and Inquisitors are also just really good at inflicting fear conditions so the Shatter Defenses feat can help a lot. Honestly though, your Sneak Attack progression should be treated more like a side benefit rather than the main show - flank where possible, don't worry if not. Sanctified Slayer Inquisitors are more than capable of fighting without always getting Sneak Attack.
>>
>>46790358
Is it possible to make a Hammer user from Monster Hunter in Pathfinder?

Something that wields a hammer and can cause exhaustion and other conditions that can make monsters helpless for a round?
>>
>>46797422
>>46797422
Initiator using a Hammer with Cursed Razor Maneuvers
>>
>>46797552
Path of War, again, solves every possible awesome martial build question.
>>
>>46797562
Not "how do I make einhanding good in a way that actually distinguishes it from zweihanding", and the same for crossbows vs bows. There are a lot of fighting styles that are just strictly outclassed by others because the things people try to fix them with are just resources spent on making them the same or "only a little worse" with nothing actually niche-creating about it.
>>
>>46797291
One PC was. Player was pretty nice about it and played them as a healer.
I killed them for being a fucking sissy and they quit.
>>
>>46796887
>Is there any other decent Inquisitor archetypes?
Monster Tactician and Sacred Huntsmaster. Maybe Warpath Follower, if 3pp is allowed.
>>
File: FFT - Cidolfus Orlandeau.jpg (421 KB, 598x830) Image search: [Google]
FFT - Cidolfus Orlandeau.jpg
421 KB, 598x830
>>46797562
I just realized that I can make Thunder God Cid with a Discordant Crusader (Zealot).
>>
>>46797803
Cid fucking ruined that game, fuck you.
>>
>>46797696
Throwing weapons, too.

Although there's actually a fairly amusing Fumee build with Piercing Thunder where you can abuse the shit out of Martial Charge, but it's still niche as hell and still doesn't really compete with a lot of other options.
>>
File: spurdo triggered.jpg (12 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
spurdo triggered.jpg
12 KB, 320x371
>>hype for this week's session
>>ready to be flinging fireballs and black tentacles left and right
>>rolling loads of d6
>>DM doesn't prepare anything
>>doesn't improv
>>probably speaks for about 5 minutes total
>>stares at their laptop for the whole session
>>
>>46797856
You could just not use him, anon.

Also, it was Sacred Geometry - I mean Calculators, that ruined the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 720x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 720x478
>>46798274
>hyped for next session
>gm is currently building the next dungeon floor
>extra hype because this floor is apparently something they've been waiting to do for months now so they are putting even more effort into it than usual
>hints that combat maybe high
>hope levels currently at max
>your reading this expecting a let down
>there isn't, just good times ahead
Hype
>>
Hey /pfg/. I'm world simulating using the PRD and I need an explanation for why the different creature types exist. While types are nonsensical and arbitrary OOC, I need an IC reason for why class abilities and spells key off these. I need each type to have a defining shtick that justifies their existence. What makes an aberration different from a magical beast or monstrous humanoid? Why are otherwise identical monsters placed in different types?
>>
>>46798652
Magical beasts are animals, that upon being exposed to magic, gained some degree of sentience but fundamentally remain animals.

Monstrous Humanoids, like other humanoids, gained full sentience and cognitive faculties. Their base forms just happened to be more animalistic or magical in nature.

Aberrations, on the other hand, were exposed to specifically foul and twisted magics, and have something that is definitively "wrong" about them. Mutations that don't make sense, or mindsets that would be considered insane in any other beings are their characteristic.
>>
>>46798652
They're pretty much a hodgepodge. Animals, outsiders, undead and dragons are generally fine.
>>
>>46798274
My DM's grandparents had him fixing their gate for ten. fucking. hours. the day we were supposed to play. We DID eventually get to play, but started two hours late.

What the fuck could they possible need done that takes ten hours?! Bless my DM for being willing to run after that horseshit.
>>
>>46798652
Think Taxonomy.
>WHAT makes these different?
>WHERE did the evolutionary lines split off?
>WHAT caused them to do so?

>Magical Beasts are high-mana mutations of otherwise regular fauna, diverging due to their environment enough for speciation, while still holding a majority of common traits

>Believed to be caused by direct sapient interference generally in the form of mass-transmutation specialists or "deific" global psychovores [aka faith-eaters or 'gods'], Monstrous Humanoids are to Magical Beasts as humans are to other mammals; a mere distinction to artificially elevate common humanoid form and heightened intellect vis-a-vis standard non-sapient creatures.
>The 'Magical Beast' divergence category used for entities with unique, unsustainable or amorphous structures, "Aberrations" are primarily used as a catch-all category for hybrid or unique lifeforms often lacking discernable critical anatomies.

Don't forget to include the existence of a local manasphere unlike our own world, to account for changes and evolutions technically impossible in our world.

Also, this research is most fun when done in concert with a player, letting the character define and explain these from the interactions and descriptions you give him when he Sciences.

Gets you equivalents to Hackmaster's [an otherwise sadly gone abandoned and awry system by now] Hacklopedia of Beasts hardcover from a few years back; an absolute wonder of monster manuals to behold.
>>
>>46798855
>Magical beasts are animals, that upon being exposed to magic, gained some degree of sentience but fundamentally remain animals.
There are several magical beasts with 1-2 Int and no magical abilities, who are classified as magical beasts simply because they don't exist on IRL. Why is the type so Earth-centric when those creatures would otherwise be considered mere animals by the native inhabitants? Why are gorillas labeled animals when IRL they can learn sign language?

>Monstrous Humanoids, like other humanoids, gained full sentience and cognitive faculties. Their base forms just happened to be more animalistic or magical in nature.
Then why are ratfolk, kobolds, gnolls, etc merely labeled humanoids? They are humanoid animals.

>Aberrations, on the other hand, were exposed to specifically foul and twisted magics, and have something that is definitively "wrong" about them. Mutations that don't make sense, or mindsets that would be considered insane in any other beings are their characteristic.
Then why are many of them indistinguishable from other types? Arachnid centaurs like driders and girtablilu are aberrations and monstrous humanoids, respectively. Humanoid-headed snakes like goblin snakes and naga are aberrations whereas humanoid-headed quadrupeds like sphinxes, shedu and lammasu are magical beasts. Why is this?

>>46798889
Why are dragons separate from magical beasts? Why is the outsider type so inconsistently applied? Why are 98% of extraplanar monsters outsiders?

>>46799038
Why are most such monsters exceptions to those rules? Most of the time the type label is purely cosmetic because the writer wanted the monster to have specific hit dice. Any IC explanation needs to account for why the types are utterly arbitrary from OOC perspective.

For example, the Complete Guide to Fey provides an explanation of the profound biological differences between fey and other forms of life.
>>
>>46799243
These classifications, much like "mammal" are extremely generalistic, but are used due to a critical factor: magic and weapon effects can affect entire such kingdoms or genus.
>>
>>46799317
>These classifications, much like "mammal" are extremely generalistic,
That comparison is false. Types are arbitrary and cosmetic labels with vague and overlaping meaning. "Mammal" is a well-defined scientific taxonomic group: a mammal is any animal with mammary glands, because that is the literal definition of the word itself. It cannot overlap with any other taxonomic group on the same level.

What reason would the fantasy laws of physics differentiate the ten or so creature types? What genuine fundamental differences within the setting would set apart otherwise identical creatures so that they are not valid targets for effects that rely on creature type? Why is a centaur not subject to charm person despite being a man's torso stitched to a horse's neck?
>>
>tfw building entire setting just so my players can't go "yeah, path of war and psionics just don't fit golarion so i won't use them
>pitch campaign to them, ask players to make characters
>none of them take advantage of the options i've given them because they say they don't want to wreck my campaign
>>
File: marid.jpg (24 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
marid.jpg
24 KB, 480x480
So how have your sessions been going?
>DM used random dungeon gen for today's session
>underwater temple, room has 9 marids
>I keep my distance, gnome wizard players decides to seduce
>ffs man, we're on a mission
>rolls a 16 on (houseruled) Fondle check, somehow works, gnome gets sizegap snu-snu in a corner
>I think they're trying to kill him, I open fire
>wasn't even intended to go magical realm
Normally I would say "fuck genies", but that would give my friends too many ideas.
>>
>>46799620
Are any of them playing Wizards or Clerics or whatever? Because if so, they're being fags.

Also, I don't understand why so many people don't want to even TRY PoW and Psionics. PoW is a good bit different than normal martials, but Psionics is casting with a different coat of paint.
>>
File: 1448230022350.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1448230022350.png
22 KB, 804x743
>>46799659
>Fondle check
>>
>>46799704
My GM is a perv. I wanted nothing to do with it.
>>
File: 1458154094810.png (168 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458154094810.png
168 KB, 400x400
>>46799659
>wasn't even intended to go magical realm
>rolls a 16 on (houseruled) Fondle check
>>
File: Jimo, the Feathered Wang.png (863 KB, 3796x2428) Image search: [Google]
Jimo, the Feathered Wang.png
863 KB, 3796x2428
I knew I saved this for a reason!
>>
>>46799737
Let me rephrase that. The DM has a Fondle skill on the books "just in case", but I doubt he expected the players to actually use it.
>>
File: 1458209917745.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1458209917745.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>46799777
>>
>>46799818
Yeah, it's stupid. It's my turn to GM next, so I'm doing nothing but construct encounters.
>>
>>46799773
>literally screencapping his own posts for asspats
>>
>>46799845
Like that'll stop anything
>>
>>46799679
Cleric, Magus, chained ironskin drunken ki monk, and a paladin.
>>
>>46799679
Because martials can't have nice things and nobody understands that casters break the setting.

People are actually offended by martials doing more than hitting stuff for a couple dice of damage, while casters can fly around protected by invulnerability and turn their foes into frogs while shooting lighting and acid rain.

Read the licensed D&D/PF novels, then read the D&D/PF fanfiction. You'll notice that the fanfiction is written by actual players who memorized the RAW, and thus portray casters as reality warpers that break the setting over their knee.
>>
>>46799893
>Cleric
>Doesnt want to break the game
loving every laugh
>>
File: FossilGolem-01.jpg (30 KB, 432x377) Image search: [Google]
FossilGolem-01.jpg
30 KB, 432x377
>>46799878
How about this? I hate genies as-is, because the DM is smart enough to corrupt wishes rather than grant them outright.
>>
>>46799929
If he's corrupting wishes that are on the wish permission list then he's cheating.
>>
>>46799608
>>46799243
>>46798652
As you demonstrated, the type system is retarded. Use something else, like this: http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/06/race-problem.html
>>
>>46799956
Really? I figured DMs corrupting wishes was pretty much a given.
>>
>>46792748
Dispel magic, strong wind, protection from arrow, those arrow block things, deflect arrow, flying enemies, and shit like trees or some kind of cover/concealment.
>>
>>46799990
>http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2012/06/race-problem.html
>Omorashi Empire

What?
>>
>>46799997
Yes, for wishes that aren't explicitly allowed, which is given in the wish description. If your DM is changing the rules on your mid-game then they're a jerk.
>>
>>46799679
With psionics, they whine about it being "too sci-fi".
>>
>>46799243
>Drider
>Created from the body of a drow, warped and mutated through special poisons and elixirs to take on the characteristics of a giant spider, the drider is a dangerous creature.
See the "This is some twisted shit" part?

>Girtablilu
>The scorpionfolk known as girtablilus guard many of the oldest ruins in deserts. They drive intruders out of their territories with dire warnings and violence to protect ancient secrets. The race maintains a tribal culture of family groups who live near the sites they guard.
Desertfolk guys that are anatomically a considerable step away from normal humanoidism.

Compare the Girtablilu you mentioned vs a ratfolk, kobold and gnoll. While their cranial structure isn't exactly humanoid, most of the rest of their body clearly is. Girtablilus got a fully working scorpion body from their abdomen below.
>>
File: Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg (110 KB, 256x355) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
110 KB, 256x355
>>46800076
Speaking of sci-fi...

Wouldn't d20 Future equipment, Tome of Battle classes, and everyone having Psionics = Pic related?
>>
>>46800076
for what purpose

It's mind magic. Guess what Arcane magic is? That's right, math mind magic! I swear, hasn't "psionic powers" been a thing for centuries in some Asian countries? I could have sworn it was definitely a thing in like, India?
>>
>>46799956
I guess it's about how the player phrases it.

"I wish I could cast disintegrate" and "I use wish to cast disintegrate" could be interpreted differently - still, this is ultimately down to the DM and the list of wish uses should not be exploited IMO.

Now, using blood money for the 25k cost and wish, or planar binding a genie, or otherwise exploiting obvious loopholes, that is something I don;'t mind the DM manipulating.
>>
>>46800132
Good god he's right.
>>
>>play wizard for the first time
>>know that I have forever ruined pathfinder classes of tier 4 and below for myself
>>know that if I ever play those I'll always be less relevant than my wizard
>>
>>46800091
The vouivre, a woman/dragon centaur with a head on both ends, is a monstrous humanoid. The owlbear, the creation of a mad wizard, is a magical beast. There's no logic to it.
>>
>>46800322
And this is why you shouldn't play anything over tier 3, kids!
>>
Two questions pfg,

1. How worthwhile is a 1~2 level MoMs Dip for a synthesist?

I realize that its been nerfed and I can only qualify for the "starter" style feats but not the rest of the path, but being able to fuse two styles seem cool. Currently considering combining Dragon + Pummel styles for a biped Synth.

2. Since an enhancement bonus like a str belt can help people qualify for feats (provided theyve been worn for 24 consecutive hours), does it mean that I can run a marathon and wear my synth overnight without sleeping and be able to use its ability scores to qualify for a stat prerequisite feat?
>>
>>46800476
If I only played gestalt/high level games in the future it might not be such a problem, since the difference between high level wizard/high level fighter and mid level wizard/mid level fighter is pretty small. One outclasses the other in many ways by miles from at least level 7.

In all honesty I just love the idea of a spellcaster who can bend reality to his will, and has enough flexibility in his actions to never be a one trick pony.
>>
>>46800597
It's a cool concept. It's just that people forgot that those world-altering jerkwads share the planet with guys who have few skills beyond "hit thing with stick" and yet are billed as being equivalent.
>>
>>46800644
Damn straight. I almost wonder if playing a low-tier class would justify the use of more powerful races, more feats, or some other bonus for the player in an effort to bring him up to speed with casters, or at least lessen the gap.
>>
>>46800528
Obvious pros for a synth getting Dragon ferocity + Feral combat training
>Lowers the price of 1.5x str evo natural attacks. Bites are the only one that comes to mind and cost 4 pts per extra attack (2 for the head another 1 for getting the bite, then another 1 for the 1.5 str multiplier) as opposed to claws
Cons
>Ridiculous feat prerequisites (IUS, Stunning Fist, 13 dex 13 wis on top of feral combat training and two dragon style feats)
>>
>>46800043
I'm hoping that it's because he doesn't know. Because the alternative is that it is the most magical of realms.
>>
>>46800132
I literally never expect anything else but Phantasy Star when it comes to putting modern weapons in the game.
>>
>>46800832
And by modern I mean magical sci-fi..
>>
>>46799620
Sounds like you have a bunch of non-munchkin players who earnestly want a fun game and are aware of the difficulties of balancing a party of high tiers. What a nightmare...
>>
>>46799659
>So how have your sessions been going?

Hahaha. Not at all.
>>
I want to play a character focused on bees.
Is some kind of Druid my only option?
Any 3pp.
>>
File: 1455598318690.jpg (92 KB, 845x360) Image search: [Google]
1455598318690.jpg
92 KB, 845x360
>>46801004
Considering the stupidity I'm involved in, that might be a good thing. A bad session is worse than no session at all.
>>
>PC pitches ridiculous space traveler concept
>Begs me to also allow him access to a plasma sword
>Tell him that it doesnt fit the theme of the campaign, but end the discussion in such a way that I may yet be convinced later
>Next time he approaches me he tries to tell me about Numeria and other similar high tech/fantasy crossovers
>Also tells me that he's willing to pay an NPC twice the cost of crafting it
>Grant him his plasma sword but tell him its the one and only technology weapon that he may have
>He burns most of his wealth to get his fancy sword
>It apparently deals half lightning and half fire damage
>Literally almost every enemy appropriate to his CR is immune to at least half his damage while being resistant to the other half
>>
If you were a wizard biologist in a fantasy world, how do you think you would order a phylogenetic taxonomy of creatures? Ignoring the game jargon about types and focusing on differences quantifiable by real life standards.

For example, aboleths are vertebrates related to lampreys and hagfish, gnolls are related to hyenas like humans are related to monkeys, etc.
>>
>>46801088
Its magic
>>
>>46801081
Are you going to reimburse them for something that they feel is cool but is actually underpowered? Gonna try and make it better? Laugh at them?
>>
>>46801143
>Indulge players ridiculous request
>Somehow obligated to compensate him when it runs afoul
I will do nothing, I will not taunt him nor will I coddle him. What I intend to do is run the campaign as intended.
>>
>>46801240
"Ridiculous" It's hardly different from any other magic weapon except it's shit.
>>
>>46801081
>ridiculous
>in golarion
Bitch, part of the continent is literally littered with part of a crashed CONVOY of fucking starships.

The fact so many enemies are immune to half the fucking damage types is the real tragedy there. Hope you're not secretly applying hardness and DR against it even though it ignores those like A CERTAIN GM I HAVE HAD RECENTLY, to "keep the fight challenging" when it even fucking works (you certainly didn't hold back on those immunities though DID YOU. YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY HD THOSE FUCKERS HAD?)

If he was ranged though he could do okay with Solar Wind Style. But yeah, all the technological options are literal trap options, specifically and specially designed so that at absolute best they're "just as good but twice as expensive" and far more often "you have raped your future away by choosing this", deliberately because JJ and friends only want Sword and Longbow to am the winrar.
>>
What player-OK races have innate fly speeds?
Is it just Syrinx and Wyvaran?
>>
>>46801306
You can play Kobold if you're willing to pay 4 feats to get it.
>>
File: 1356735295567.jpg (25 KB, 216x282) Image search: [Google]
1356735295567.jpg
25 KB, 216x282
>>46801326
>Kobold
>4 (four) feats
Uh...
What else is there?
>>
>>46801351
Crippling depression
>>
File: 1391407159144.png (9 KB, 326x343) Image search: [Google]
1391407159144.png
9 KB, 326x343
>>46801306
pretty much
wyvaran has limits on their flying though due to already being clumsy, having it is still rad
>>
>>46801058
I'm in the mood for schadenfreude. Care to tell us more?
>>
>>46801405
See >>46799659
>>
>>46801306
Don't forget Strix!
>>
>>46801306
Our quarter-dragon and succubus homebrews both have flight-potential! I think the quarter-dragon can jump really high and glide, and the succubus can just land safely, but both can fly if you take their racial feat.
>>
File: giantslayer`1.jpg (162 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
giantslayer`1.jpg
162 KB, 500x655
Anyone know where to find PDF scans of the first 3 Giantslayer adventure paths? Seems like they are missing from the link repository
>>
>>46801589
here, they're in our thread pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/6Fjskgux
http://pastebin.com/YKvDBWnC
>>
File: image.png (93 KB, 639x295) Image search: [Google]
image.png
93 KB, 639x295
>>46801326
>paying feats to play an already disadvantaged race
What layer of hell are you located in?
>>
>>46801653
>Being in a party with one such kobold rogue/assassin
>10 con and wis
>Tell him maybe its a good idea to work on his bad saves
>"Nonsense anon, saves are what magic items are there for"
>He wonders why he almost always fails the first save he has to roll and why he often gets disabled on the first round for seeing something spooky
>>
I want to play a sky-based magician person.
What are my options? I'd like wind powers and flight, but not a lot of focus on electric damage. Pathfinder seems to have linked air with electricity very closely, and while I can understand that, the amount of purely wind-based stuff seems low. Should I just go for a Sylph Sky Druid?
>>
>>46801809
>Be any arcane caster
>Cast overland flight
>Customize the remainder of your spell list as desired
Done
>>
It was mentioned that there was a misprinting that said Iomedae was LN rather than LG. What book was it?
>>
So, Gifted Blade has full BAB and access to expansion, with half giant that brings up my effective size to Huge.

Is size category the only major obstacle to grapplers? Maybe dip two into strangler for the extra damage and no dex penalty?
>>
>>46802191
Size category only adds a bonus to the defenders CMD, it doesn't prevent you from grappling the target, unlike Bull Rush or Trip which have size restrictions.
>>
>>46802191
Did they ever errata Strangler? Last I checked, it was just flat-out broken and didn't work at all.

That said, a Half-giant Gifted Blade War Soul would definitely want to trait into Steel Serpent to get Steel Coils for delicious constriction damage on grapples.
>>
>>46802258
Strangler the feat? Why wouldn't it work?
>>
File: 12942057_p0.jpg (882 KB, 1039x1225) Image search: [Google]
12942057_p0.jpg
882 KB, 1039x1225
>>46802191
You can use the aasimar/tiefling/skinwalker size rules to play an aasimar/tiefling/skinwalker descended from an eclipse giant or a rune giant with the Giant template.

You can be a Colossal character at level 1!

Still only +2 Strength at best though, with a -8 attack penalty.
>>
>>46800946
You're kidding, right?
>>
>>46802316
Wait, the feat? All I know of is the Brawler archetype that sucks dicks.

>>46802353
You keep saying this, but I've never once seen you prove it.
>>
>>46802379
Look at the sidebars for non-human aasimar/tieflings/skinwalkers.
>>
>>46802353
I'd like to tap that island.
>>
So we were going to play a fantasy sort of mad max game, and I wanted to play a synthesist summoner who was a sort of mutant who became a sort of summoning witch doctor for our gang of bikers. DM said no, and he pointed out how borked synth is. How does one turn it down to be more in line?
>>
>>46802654
>DM said no, and he pointed out how borked synth is.
By being worse than unarchetyped summoner? What exactly did he point out to you?
>>
>>46802716
You're flat out better than a martial character. that's broken BROKEN
>>
>>46802654
Offer to dump the Summon Monster stuff entirely. You probably wouldn't use it as a Synthesist, anyway, and it's the thing that makes Summoners retarded, far moreso than any other class feature or spell they have.

>>46802716
It IS probably the worst-written archetype in all of PF. Paizo is literally so inept that it's like fifteen paragraphs of THIS IS HOW THIS IS AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULES but then still leaves most important questions unanswered.

I sort of want somebody to homebrew a Spiritualist archetype that is effectively a Synthesist.
>>
>>46801589
That one guy also made Sphinx who could get fly speedswith an alt trait. No clue on links though, it aint in the pastebin.
>>
>>46802761
>Synthesist Spiritualist

We Shaman King now?
>>
>>46802760
You already were before!
>>
>>46802830
Less apparent on the sheet. You can dump stats on synthesist so it appears more munchkiny
>>
>>46802761
>>46802824
I want to gestalt Id Rager and Spiritualist!
>>
>>46802824
I just want to wear a sentient suit of ANGER and punch fuckers in the face.
>>
>>46802760
>Better than martials
You mean like every other 4th and 6th level caster with 3/4~Full BAB
>>
>>46802888
4th level casters are martials, don't even pretend they can accomplish anything with their spells.
>>
>>46802910
My distant dreams of Mystic Fire Sword of the Arcane Order Battle Blessing Paladins make me cry.
>>
>>46802937
Battle Blessing didn't combine in any meaningful way with SotAO, it only affects your Paladin spells. And I miss it too god damn.
>>
>>46802379
Oh. Strangler the feat lets you add your sneak attack damage to successful grapple checks.
>>
Hello, pfg i have a question about one goldie prestyge class of 3.5: The Fleshwarper, can anybody suggest me a way to copy this in pathfinder?

My first idea is trying something with the alchemist or investigator but im not sure. Some suggestions?
>>
>>46802989
No, but still being able to cast your paladin spells as a swift (and there were some darn good ones added later) was a nice boon
>>
So opinions, using only paizo stuff, so no deadly agility, is it worth it to grab 3 levels of unchained rogue with a magus to get dex to damage? Using 20 PB. Was thinking about going dueling sword for weapon.
>>
>>46803048
Probably not, that's three levels of losing even more spells.
>>
>>46802057
Inner Sea Magic.
>>
>>46803048
Absolutely not. Doesn't Dervish Dance still work?
Even without it, it would not be worth it at all, it's too big a hit on Magus casting and feature progression, which itself will include the ability to pump the attack/damage of your weapon further, so the gain isn't even as much as you think it'd be.
>>
So much hate towards the synthesist considering that paizo has done things so much broken, in fact every 9th caster can bring down a summoner when it comes to late game and things like lunar oracle or sorcerer false priest can do things far much worse. Synthetist are not the worst thing you can see out there
>>
>>46803139
Why are you even comparing it to things out of competition with it and out of any Summoner's league, compare it to a SUMMONER AND EIDOLON PAIR WHO HAVE 2 SEPARATE SETS OF ACTIONS.
>>
>>46803139
You're whining to the choir, m8, nobody ever bought into the synthesist hate here.
>>
>>46803139
>poorly-written archetype that is actually significantly weaker than the base class
>pointing this out is "hate"
No, anon. It's stating the truth.

>>46803191
The only hate I have for the Synthesist was that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when I made one. Damned dice fucking hated me.
>>
Anyone that used regular summoner over unchained summoner deserves what they get.
>>
>>46803257
No appreciable difference?
>>
>>46803282
Biggest difference is the spell list, and the customization points/max natural attacks on the eldion from what I remember.
>>
>>46803282
Let's be honest, the changes to the spell list and evolution costs were a good thing! The restriction of the Eidolon to specific types is absolutely bullshit, though.

If I want a floating outsider that looks like a scale model of a pirate ship that attacks with tiny cannons, that's my fucking choice!
>>
>>46802258
>flat-out broken and didn't work at all.
Huh?
>>
>>46803374
It's been fucking ages, but I seem to recall it trading away an ability it needed to function at all.
>>
>>46799038
>>Hackmaster
>>abandoned

I thought they were putting out a new edition soon?
>>
>>46803357
This
>>
>>46803257
>Hating based summoner
>Hating the most creativity driven class in the game
>Hating the class that lets you pull off almost any crazy concept
>Suggesting the poorly written, restricting unchained summoner

The summoner has some bullshit, but unchained is trash.
>>
>>46803409
From what I see, it loses gaining improved unarmed strike as a bonus, higher damage die, AC bonus and its flurry of blows equivalent

it doesn't *actually* lose the ability to make unarmed strikes, just the features titled "Unarmed Strikes"
>>
File: image.gif (25 KB, 1128x666) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
25 KB, 1128x666
I'm writing a new monster (see pic). What type would be best? Aberration? Protean? Demon?
>>
>>46803722
This looks like an aberration
>>
>>46803702
They might have changed it. I probably haven't actually read it since the Brawler first came out, and I'm going on my admittedly foggy memory.
>>
My friend's playing a crafter wizard.
What kind of character should I play that'd work well with that?
We already have a tough martial guy, and the forementioned craftsman has all the support stuff locked down, so the party is lacking basically nothing in combat. I could reinforce our combat capabilities by playing a save-or-suck caster, or load buffs onto the martial, but I'm really interested in working with the crafter wizard somehow. I'm not creative enough to come up with ideas, though. Is there, like, some kind of time wizard I could play to give him more time for crafting? Can I play a spell-stealing magician and produce scrolls for him to learn magic from? Something like that. A co-operative character.
>>
Would an Esquire Cavalier's cohort come with NPC starting wealth or would it be up to the PC to equip them?
>>
>>46803722
Opabinia deffo needs to be an abberation.
>>
>>46803722
That's opabinia, a real invertbrate animal that existed during the Cambrian. Therefore it would be a vermin.
>>
File: 2b642bddda557daaa236ca3542e5030b.jpg (559 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2b642bddda557daaa236ca3542e5030b.jpg
559 KB, 1920x1080
What's the best class to gestalt with Vigilante?
>>
>>46803984
Which Vigilante?
>>
>>46803984
Antipaladin since most of the Vigilantes' good talents work when the enemy is intimidated.
>>
>>46803984
Go for Aegis and form your psychic armor as part of your transformation.
>>
How can i make a spiritualist work? I want to try one because i love the concept of psychic summoner, but i find the phantom rather weak, and difficult to bring the spiritualist to the front line. Our party is starting at lvl 10
>>
>>46803840
The thing about Wizards is, they're not great with people. Their solution to everything is 'cast a spell that gets it done', which yes, does work, but casting Charm Person every time you want to buy a drink is more than a bit of a hassle.

The thing about crafting is, it's more effective if you know what you're about to deal with - sure, a potion of CLW is handy just about anywhere, but a scroll or three of Remove Paralysis is GREAT for that Ghoul-infested tomb the local temple's priest wants you to clear out.

Fortunately, it's not too difficult to do both of these things. It's easiest if 3PP is allowed, and since you didn't particularly specify what is and isn't allowed, I'll go with it for now.

You'll want to go for a Dual-Discipline Telepathy/Clairsentience Psion, or a Psychic Mage Wizard. The former is less cheesy than the latter, but less flexible or capable. Generally, they have the same plan: Use the good Telepathy powers, high Intelligence, and a combination of the Student of Philosophy trait + Pragmatic Activator to be good at both social situations and at activating magic things with UMD. You'll want to take the always-good combat options like Slumber and Mind Control, but Attraction and Empathic Connection can be a powerful combination in their own right, and are generally less messy when their duration expires than outright domination. Psychic Mage has the unique advantage of having full Wizard spell list access alongside the ability to take Expanded Knowledge, and if you take Expanded Knowledge later on (10th is a good time, spend your bonus feat on it) for Psychic Reformation, you can swap which extra powers you know around between adventures.
>>
>>46803840
Crafter divine caster.
>>
>>46804118
Besides the social manipulation and ally-gathering tactics, Thrallherd is a good PrC to enter via either route, since it's the most literal cult of personality - just be sure to take a Drawback and grab Psionic or Magical Knack so you don't lose out on ML/CL.

Either way, you should be using Clairsentience powers/Divination spells to gather information at a distance for the party - not something to do too much of at an early level simply for lack of good divinations to be had, but even the simple Augury spell can be good to have at your disposal, and Clairaudience/Clairvoyance is something most enemies won't expect at the level you get it.

Lastly, should you end up in the silly high levels, you should probably go for the Mindborn template; it's the Psionic equivalent of a Lich, except you become an Outsider rather than Undead and don't shift alignment or anything. It will, amusingly, make you nearly impossible to find or be investigated, as at that level, enemy casters will Scry you just as much as you will them.
>>
>>46803984
Probably Antipaladin or Dread, with all the fear effects.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.