[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM 3OCAQMP8 The Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: download.jpg (88 KB, 1000x581) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
88 KB, 1000x581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM3OCAQMP8

The Dark Souls board game looks really fun
>>
File: 1435569878896.jpg (79 KB, 496x499) Image search: [Google]
1435569878896.jpg
79 KB, 496x499
>>46789089
brilliant, now i can get fucked by the dice even harder
>>
>>46789089
I really like how the boss AI is not reshuffled every time so that it encourages you to memorize the pattern. I also liked how it showed that rushing in to do a shitton of damage will fuck you over quickly. I also liked how facing sides of the boss left vulnerable gives bonus damage

Those dice are unforgiving though. It looks like the blue dice only go up to two, while the red dice go up to three.
>>
>>46789089
They're scraping the bottom of the barrel with those stretch goal already tho
Started out with new classes, bosses, now it's barrels and a bonfire.
>>
why keep diluting the market? This is worse than the kids who want to run a game about every show they watch or game they play
>>
>>46789154
They obviously didn't expect this huge of a jump in funds. But I guess the release of Dark Souls 3 was great timing on their part.

I'd like to see at least one 'massive' boss like the Gaping Dragon added. Maybe add it as an expansion with extra characters you can purchase by increasing your pledge by 30 bucks or so.
>>
>>46789154
>>46789185
They could add a digital release on Tabletop Simulator as a stretch goal or something. I am sure that would peak the interest of players who want to play with friends online.
>>
>>46789185
That's legit already an option. Add £28 and get Gaping Dragon, which doesn't really seem worth it desu.
>>
>>46789211
Shit really? Is it JUST Gaping Dragon or is it a lil expansion that adds things like giant rats and slimes? If it's just the dragon then yeah, it isn't really worth it.
>>
>>46789176
meme game for hipsters who watch tabletop

souls is the worst meme game, played by psp lickers who unironically talk about NINTENDO HARD and have never played a real game like BUBSY
>>
>>46789228
Oh fuck yes man. That's a REAL man's game.

When the fuck are we getting Bubsy Tabletop? You better get bonuses on rolls for making cat puns.
>>
>>46789089
I'd probably never play the board game, but those minis are actually pretty sweet.
>>
>>46789228
Does Dark Souls let you go EXTREMELY HIGH at forty coordinate units per frame? It takes seven seconds to fall
>>
>>46789089
Models look good too. Not great but solid.
>>
>>46789251
>>46789260
Not even close to worth the cost for that I think. I got Descent with a similar amount of minis for half the cost.
>>
Looks alright, but I'll probably stick to Kingdom Death.
>>
>>46789260
He's right. Desent has 80 minis and dark souks has 28. Right now they are both priced the same at 80 euros.
>>
>>46789465
>80 miniatures
Don't bullshit dude. The initial
Descent set had 31 with 8 character minis.

That's still more than the Dark Souls set so far, but don't be making up numbers.
>>
Seriously. I hate it. It's like whenever I work in my basement on small prototype of a game, someone is just about to release something that uses similar ideas (I use grid instead of nodes, and yeah cerain enamies attack certain spaces on the grid) - I can already hear ppl screaming 'plagiarism', when I'll show them with what I came up. And who the fuck cares that it's loosely based on a mechanic from a skirmish game with a lot of tweaks. No one, because DS the board game will be a huge hit. It's the second time in last four months.
>>
I can't stop wondering why they based the game on the 3th and not the first, which would have been a better choice. Also no iconic characters are presents besides Ornstein & Slayer.
I find those choices odd.
>>
>>46789613
I know the feeling dude. Truth is, in this day and age, having a neat idea isn't enough if you aren't quick to market it.
>>
File: Plus Four Judgemental Skull.png (54 KB, 306x421) Image search: [Google]
Plus Four Judgemental Skull.png
54 KB, 306x421
>>46789761
>Ornstein
>Smough
>Gargoyle
>Titanite demon
>Silver knights
>Sentinels
>Based off the 3rd game
>>
File: 53242323t.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
53242323t.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>46789796
>Herald
>Winged Knight
So is it a mix of the two..?
I just played a bit of the third game
>>
>>46789761
The game is a mix of all 3, they just used to most recent and recognizable cover art
>>
>>46789275
I've had Kingdom Death sitting around since the fall, and only last weekend did I find people who were interested in playing with me. I'm considering backing this so my shitty memefriends will actually try it out : (
>>
Fuck this is awesome, I need this.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>>46789089
I really don't like the miniatures. I get that the proportions are modified to make them work better as game pieces, but they really don't look like they would be fun to paint. It just makes me wish they would scrap the boardgame idea and just go for detailed minis instead.
>>
>>46790307

Huh, I really like the miniatures. I won't even paint mine, I like how they look.
>>
>>46789275
I really wish that Kingdom Death wasn't so fucking expensive to get. I think it even rivals 40k in cost and you end up with less minis.
>>
>>46790322
It's really more painfully noticeable on the Gargoyle with the tiny ass wings and super short tail.
>>
>>46790333
The phoenix alone would cost you easily $100+ for the equivalent from GW. It's fuck off huge.
+20 odd dudesmen with options. That's like another 100 maybe, on top of the zillions of cards.

It's expensive for what it is but once you break it down it's actually not as horrendous I'd say.
>>
>>46790307
>they really don't look like they would be fun to paint.
My same thought. But any CAD model gives me that vibe.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3259x1659) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3259x1659
>>46790385
Well, I love the morbid monster design and to my knowledge it's the best one on the market that comes in plastic sprues. Just the White Lion alone has me interested in buying the core game, although, I'm not that interested in any of the survivor minis at all. What really bust my balls is that $400 is a lot of money just to get my hands on a few minis. I have been saving my money for a new computer, that I know I will get more use out of than a weird boardgame a most of my friends wouldn't be into a whole lot. So ultimately I wish I would have invested in the original kickstarter.
>>
Stamina and health as one seem weird,and reshuffling the deck each time a new card is drawn to the bosses deck is pure RNG and bad.

Would buy for models/10
>>
>>46789465
counting the stretch goals DS has like 64 miniatures right now
>>
>>46790676
The shuffle and add only happens once.
>>
>>46789089
Why bother using nodes if grids work just as well? Nodes are just a bigger version of grids.
>>
>>46789089
Why is the sold out option even a thing? It seems to be the exact same thing as the second option. Was it cheaper or something?
>>
Looks cool, but after currency conversion and shipping it'd cost me about $180.

As much as I love DS, I can't afford Dark Souls 3 at the moment, let alone that much.
>>
>>46792177
It's called an early bird bid that you can snatch if you're one of the first people to show up for the kickstarter. You just save a few bucks.
>>
>>46792062
They seem to be more like bigger versions of hexes, really.

I'm guessing that they went for nodes since that lets you have a slightly less busy board.
>>
>>46792297
A hex grid is still a grid.
>>
>>46792062
The nodes are more symbolic of dark souls since exact positioning is not something easy to pull off in the heat of a boss battle, and this also represents their reach by hitting nodes rather than measurable distances.
>>
>>46792543
Sure, I get it. Deadzone has a similar thing, but with grids.
>>
>>46789089
I don't reqlly care about the game, but I'd pay for nice, high quality minis
>>
>>46792543
>>46792945
It might just be a design decision; you have to admit, the tiles look a lot more 'open' than they would if they had a grid superimposed on them.
>>
>>46793426
Sure. I guess I would have just used more nodes.
>>
>>46789873

Seems fairly solidly rooted in 1, with the speculation that they might pull some in from 2.
>>
File: white-sign-soapstone.png (7 KB, 102x120) Image search: [Google]
white-sign-soapstone.png
7 KB, 102x120
>>46789203
>players who want to play with friends online
There's already a way to do that.
>>
The Four Kings just got added to the main set.
>>
>>46793486
I like the amount of nodes because barring a few fights you really dont fight bosses in too huge of a room.
>>
>5 Invader AI Cards added

Fuck yes, we got invader characters now
>>
>>46795665
Source? Looks like they're still just an add-on to me.
>>
>>46797737
Stretch goals son
>>
>>46790510
Trust me when I say that you could very much resell the survivor kits and even possibly the game's nonmodel materials.

There are people who do want just the game and none of the hobby. You could even offer to make 2d cardboard versions of the monsters, or at least provide resource for it.
>>
>>46798049
Anon, the stretch goal, for one, isn't until £1,000,000 which is a ways away yet, and two, is a paid add-on and will probably be £28 like the rest. So no, not stretch goals.
>>
File: 1461094153852.png (232 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1461094153852.png
232 KB, 1080x720
>>46789089
>four kings but not remaining knights of Gwyn
>guardian dragon but not Seath
>STILL NO NITO
>>
File: 111029_355050_6.jpg (33 KB, 450x261) Image search: [Google]
111029_355050_6.jpg
33 KB, 450x261
So it's just a Dark Souls flavored Mansions of Madness? I mean, that's good an all but it will end up JUST like MofM with people not wanting to play it because it's literally impossible to win and takes FOREVER to set up.
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 973x855) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 973x855
>>46798217
Well, I'm somewhat tempted to give Kingdom Death a go some day. Maybe not in the near future, though. The whole managing a community aspect of the game makes it pretty interesting for a boardgame and seems like it would be good for quick and easy campaigns.
>>
>>46799672
They're advertising this game as "fast setup", so I wouldn't worry about that.
>>
>>46789089
The main thing that is really holding me back is the fact that they're using a dice mechanic. It would be much more Dark Souls-y to have player cards with static effects that the dice can enhance.
Players play cards and then the enemy action is revealed. If they played their cards right they succeed, if not the enemy fucks them in the mouth and they have to better learn the enemy patterns.
Dice just feels like, why buy this if it's basically a tougher version of Descent or Kingdom Death Lite?
>>
>>46789491
My bad.
>>
>>46800262
That's patently horse shit. No game with miniatures and cards has fast set-up. The physical act of unboxing the stuff will take 15-30 minutes.
>>
>>46801339
They claim that it's because of the unfolding nature of the game, you don't unbox everything up front, you reveal the game world and encounters as you travel.

If the box is well designed I could see it working: pull out starting tile, put down players, get all your basic world exploring card decks ready and then get going.

I don't think it could possibly be 30 mins.
>>
>>46801902
>you reveal the game world and encounters as you travel.
You realize this makes things slower right.
>>
>>46789089
I really like the Silver Knight minis.

Heck, why can't they just sell the minis? I'd buy all the Dark Souls minis.
>>
>>46799334

Nito would have to come with a lot of skeleton models, I would see him being his own expansion honestly
>>
>>46789137
I can't be 100% certain, but from the KS page they look like SDE dice without the heart/potion side.
>>
File: 1461089078957.jpg (682 KB, 750x1200) Image search: [Google]
1461089078957.jpg
682 KB, 750x1200
>>46802356
Man, I would love skeleton minis, especially a Nito one.

The stretch goals are mostly done. I might back it to get all of those delicious minis.

Wish there was a Firekeeper one.
>>
>>46789796

Shitting on DS2 may be popular but I loved the mirror knight and those lanky ass ruin sentinels. Mirror knight is prob one of my favorite boss fights in souls game. Not the favorite, just a really good solid fight.
>>
>>46802553
>mirror knight.
>good
Literally a rip off of the demon souls boss except he's shittier.
Way to be a pleb.
>>
>>46802672
"Mirror Knight is a bitch ass trick"

-Penetrator
>>
>>46802402
They keep adding more, they originally only went to 90,000
>>
File: dark souls board game minis.png (2 MB, 1278x1566) Image search: [Google]
dark souls board game minis.png
2 MB, 1278x1566
>>46802964
That's quite a lot they added. I wonder what the last stretch goal is.
>>
>>46802553
His design was great but the fight was a letdown.

I'm bummed 2 of my favorite bosses have been relegated to Addons, Kalameet and Four Kings. Looks like I have to throw even more money at them
>>
>>46803018

My guess it the Million mark will be an entire expansion, they hinted at it before and it's an appropriate reward for £1,000,000.
>>
File: dark souls board game minis.png (2 MB, 1278x1566) Image search: [Google]
dark souls board game minis.png
2 MB, 1278x1566
>>46803144
Yup. I wonder how detailed they'll go with these models as well, especially for the dragons.
>>
>>46803195
You're forgetting the retailer only add-ons, which are a seperate stretch goal. They only have The Last Giant though and aren't even at the second one, Manus, yet.
>>
>>46802146
>Having to set up less things at the start of the game makes setup slower

I think you might be wrong.

The alternative is you mean it makes the post-setup game slower which I don't understand why you think it's relevant to a discussion of setup times.
>>
>>46789228
I used to think it was a meme game until I actually played it and enjoyed it. The vidya, I mean.
>>
>>46799889
Kingdom Death is not quick, or easy.

it is really good though.
>>
>>46804699
What makes it so good anon?
>>
>>46805311
It has an apparently innovative (I don't play these games) settlement and resources system.
I've heard people say they'd buy it if it didn't cost so much, hoping for some kind of "no models" edition.
>>
>>46789089
Yeah, it looks neat but i really want to see how it plays out and what everything looks like in retail versions to decide if I'm going to buy it, really just interested in the Minis. Shit i would just BUY the mini's if that was an option, get a good fig of Capra Demon or Pinwheel.
>>
>>46789089
I have a friend who's a shopkeep. Think I might be able to give him money for him to get me the retail edition, or is there some kind of risk or tax associated with stuff like that that I don't know about?
>>
>>46806036
>It has an apparently innovative (I don't play these games) settlement and resources system.

Use resources from killed monsters to build a wide variety of gear from various crafting stations (which you also build and upgrade over time). Can also use resources to craft new types of innovations to help advance your settlement, which in turn set up unlock trees for innovation lines (language yields ammonia, drums, paint, faith, symposium, and hovel, all of which have their own branching unlock systems as well).

Combat keeps everyone involved by having the enemy controlled by an AI deck, similar to this game. Everyone takes turns playing out the attacks and sorting out what happens to whom.

>I've heard people say they'd buy it if it didn't cost so much, hoping for some kind of "no models" edition.

Not looking good. The lion's share of the cost comes from all the cards, tokens, and other printed media. Cutting the models won't really save much in terms of cost. There are some people working on getting everything scanned and put up as mods for TableTop Simulator on the sly, though.

>>46806142
I'd kill for a capra demon, taurus demon, Havel, Seigmeyer, Tarkus, or the Iron Golem.
>>
>>46805311
It's a coop game that's more about resource management and group effort than individual plays.

You can build equipment and gear, or build more stuff for your settlement like a blacksmith. You can by giving birth to more settlers. As a group, you have to decide things like whether to bury your dead or cannibalize them. Whether you'll innovate languages or buy another settlement structure.

All the monsters have a AI system that's pretty robust but can be manipulated by smart plays in the same way that you "learn" a dark souls boss fight over many attempts.
>>
>>46806154
The retail edition is the same as the version you would get by backing it yourself, it's just that they will be offering paid expansions to retailers that other backers can't get through the kickstarter.

You can get your friend to order you copies of these paid expansions but whether you take one of his 6 copies or you back your own basic copy you (at least so far) will get the same product.
>>
File: 1385288039468.gif (907 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1385288039468.gif
907 KB, 320x240
>>46789089
JUST SELL THE FUCKING MINIATURES ON THEIR OWN
JESUS SHIT CHRIST DO THEY REALLY THINK MOST PEOPLE WANT A BOARD GAME
HALF THE FUCKING PREORDERS ARE JUST GOING TO BE FOR RESELLING THE MINIS ON EBAY
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>46807597
>The retail edition is the same as the version you would get by backing it yourself, it's just that they will be offering paid expansions to retailers that other backers can't get through the kickstarter.
The retail edition will not include any stretch goals. So no, they aren't the same. You'd pay half the price, but get less than half the content. In the end, it's up to anon if that's a good deal.
>>
>>46807872
I want a board game.
>>
>No Paladin Leeroy playable character.
Dropped.

Seems kinda cool but honestly I'm not sure how it's gonna work with the PCs. Part of the fun of dark souls is making a build. They should've made it to where you could customize your dude or have an extremely diverse set of PCs based on builds that existed in game.
>>
>>46807899
>The retail edition will not include any stretch goals

Oh shit you are right, I had misunderstood their clarification post about the retail exclusive stuff, I thought they were saying the retailers would get the free stuff in their 6 copies.

So yeah, definitely not worth doing it via a retailer.
>>
>>46807872
>DO THEY REALLY THINK MOST PEOPLE WANT A BOARD GAME
>HALF THE FUCKING PREORDERS ARE JUST GOING TO BE FOR RESELLING THE MINIS ON EBAY

This suggests one of two things, either:

a) The value of the mini's exceed the cost of the box, so the fact they are including a board game is just like a free extra, in which case why you cryin?

b) There's a significant group of players who want the board game but will re-sell the minis and play using tokens because they just don't like models in their board games and want to make some of their money back in which case why you cryin?
>>
>>46793850
At least half of those core set models are from Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>46808368
>There's a significant group of players who want the board game but will re-sell the minis and play using tokens because they just don't like models in their board games and want to make some of their money back in which case why you cryin

literally no one does this
>>
>>46807958
>most people
>>
>>46789089
>you can get a roll of 0 in the dice
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>46790510
And then you realize that half the cost of the minis is so that you can change out your character model every time you get a new fucking armor set.
>>
>>46803018
Damn, at this point I might pick it up just for the minis.

I want to run ornstein as a chaos lord
>>
>>46808558
because git gud
>>
>>46789089
Game looks like it could be fun. Definitely just want the miniatures though, because I'm a faggot like that.
>>
File: Biorr.png (225 KB, 278x508) Image search: [Google]
Biorr.png
225 KB, 278x508
>>46808666
Satan does not lie.
>>
File: 1373757336965.gif (496 KB, 405x308) Image search: [Google]
1373757336965.gif
496 KB, 405x308
>>46789089
>Stretch Goals haven't been updated yet

COME THE FUCK ON
>>
>>46808748
blame bamco for being cunts about approval
>>
Pretty keen for those mimics to come up, though.
>>
>>46808748
>>46808763

It's also like 7am in Britain.
>>
File: 1390837483050.gif (37 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1390837483050.gif
37 KB, 200x194
>>46808763
>>46808876
But what about my uncontrollable hype? I need to see what else I'm getting
>>
>>46807597
>>46807899
I was considering giving him the money to get me the six games so I could sell them myself through him on consignment but I'm not sure that would be profitable for any of us now.
>>
>>46790065
Yeah I bought it during the pre order period and it was 275$ including shipping. If you didn't get it during a discount or the kickstarter it's way too high of an entry cost at fucking 400$
>>
>>46789089
Seems like a worse version of Kingdom Death: Monster. Less variety and less enemy types.

On the other hand, I do like the node system. I just feel like this game is too simplistic and short of options.
>>
>>46789465
actually the dark souls set now had almost double that with the stretch goals.
>>
>>46789225

Tile set, a deck, a dial, and the mini.
>>
>>46810249
>Seems like a worse version of Kingdom Death: Monster. Less variety and less enemy types

what do you expect, its made for normies triggered by KDM having sex in
>>
>>46789089
Have they stated what material the models will be made of? I know pewter is a long shot but I was hoping for something more than Bones-tier plastic
>>
>>46810963
i looked at KDM and its so fucking sexy, i wish i knew about it, now all the cool miniś are sold out and will probably never be available again.
>>
>>46810963
Dark Souls could really need more sex in it.
>>
Gapping Dragon is set to be at 12cm-15cm

Aside from that I cant wait to see what the armour set expansion has to offer [Spoiler] One can dream of being Giant Dad [/Spoiler]
>>
>>46811018
Eww, no. Just grind two slim jims together, it would look like that.
>>
>>46800843
I agree. The Mage Knight board game has a pretty involved card management system and I was hoping to see something which offed a similar level of player control here. Maybe they tested with cards and it was too easy or fiddly?
>>
>>46808037
The player sheets have zones for: left hand, right hand, spells, items, and inventory and you discover/earn loot during play. Even if it isn't extensive, it looks like they included some customization.
>>
>>46810981
Then you realize that the game uses a die roll to determine movement. The game is literally roll to move.
>>
>>46802672
>>46802553
I actually kinda wish there was a full mirror knight based covenant.

But, on the topic of 2
>Port weapon from DS2
>Not the fists with interesting moveset
>Nor the whipsword that can easily tie in to the gimmick of the other recent FromSoft game
>But the generic ultra greatsword
>>
>>46810963
KD also has way more downtime, more book keeping, requires more dedication for assembly, (let alone owning enough to actually play) and at this point seems less streamlined.
Sex doesnt seem like a major factor IMO.
>>
>>46810981
>now all the cool miniś are sold out and will probably never be available again.
Every now and then they put up non-collector edition reprints of various models up. If you missed out on something, it's just a matter of waiting for more to be put up.

Current plan is to put up an expansion each month, along with some reprints and some new collector edition minis. So keep an eye out, and your wallet fat.

>Executioner chariot boss unlock
Why would they include that? It's hardly even a boss, really. More of an obstacle course to work through.

Also, is there any word on the material they plan to use for the figures? Hard plastic of some sort would be preferred over soft plastics (like the soft stuff used in Mansions of Madness).
>>
File: 20160420211228_1.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160420211228_1.jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
>>46789089
Decided to ask them what material the miniatures are made of since I noticed they had a section for answering questions.

Semi-related, but my DnD 5e group is currently running through Dark Souls 3 as the classic 4 man party. Due to needing the Dried Finger, the invasions are near constant, but so far it's pretty fun.
>>
>>46811150
You're turning me on, Anon.
>>
>>46811417
>Then you realize that the game uses a die roll to determine movement. The game is literally roll to move.
What the fuck are you smoking, Anon?
>>
>>46811472
The Executioner Chariot is one of the coolest looking bosses in the game, though.
>>
Gaping Dragon model. Update claims it is 12 to 15cm tall, or 5 to 6 inches. Looks bigger around than tall, too. Puts the scale at the top end of the Cthulhu Wars minis.

>>46811472
>Also, is there any word on the material they plan to use for the figures? Hard plastic of some sort would be preferred over soft plastics (like the soft stuff used in Mansions of Madness).
The game's manufacturer confirmed PVC plastic in the KS comments section.
>>
>>46804003
It's a solid game that doesn't hold your hand as much as current games do last ten or so years. It's the first and one of the only taste of this kind of game for an entire generation, so it makes sense why it's so over promoted and people latch onto it so much
>>
>>46811550
They are mostly good games because they don't tell you how to exactly play the game like most modern games does today. You are supposed to make your own plans and use critical thinking to advance.

They also have features that basically breaks the difficulty in half withna sickening crack; like a combination of the Thief Ring with a bow in Demon's Souls will make the enemies hilariously easy to deal with. This is because their AI is terrible at responding to ranged attacks and the Thief Ring makes them lose track of your location. So typically they give up looking for you within 7-15 seconds after you put an arrow in them. You can just keep reapeating this with poison arrows to take down some of the hardest enemies in the game.

People just think the Souls games are hard because most modern games have conditioned them to be lazy players.
>>
>>46811533
is this good ?
>>
>>46811550
It's also a very simple and straightforward fairytale about a knight on a quest fighting monsters, in a faded land painted with melancholy and subtle dread. You know it's a gem when even the literal rehashes of the same game released later as sequels fail to recapture the feeling.
>>
>>46811440
Even with all those things you mentioned the major downside is price. 400 fucking dollars, by the time the thing would arrive at my door in Canada it would be close to 750 dollars Canadian.
>>
>>46811807
Probably because all the game pieces comes in multipart plastic sprues, unlike most boardgames. The guy running the project apparently wanted the best quality moulds he could get, so naturally he spared no expenses. This is reflected in the price they have to sell the game in to turn a profit and not implode the company. Had they made more dedicated research they could probably have found a much better deal for similar quality and not ending up having to sell the game at a high price.
>>
>>46811965
Most of the cost comes from all the cards, tokens, boards, and books they had to print. It also accounts for most of the weight for shipping. The thing is pretty heavy. The minis are really great, and have set a very high bar for board game minis. If the Dark Souls minis are even half as good, I'll be really stoked.
>>
>>46811807
I know that feel fellow canuck
>>
>>46811965
Oh I understand it's a quality product your getting. The price is still a downside, I wish there was a 4 survivor 1 1 monster starter. Would feel better if I could try the game out for a lower cost before fully committing.
>>
>>46811994
I wouldn't expect them to not be near the same fine detailed OCD quality as the KDM plastic minis. They wanna be able to sell it in stores with a pricetag that is reasonable to most consumers. They also want to keep it on a brisk schedule while the Dark Souls 3 hype might still be alive. So that means keeping as many expenses as possibly down.
>>
>>46812072
Tabletop simulator. Ask in the KD threads for more info (let's try to get this thread back on track, and stick to the Dark Souls game).

>>46812091
A man can dream.
>>
>>46812072
The creator seemed to express in the company blog that putting the game in a more affordable average consumer bundle would cheapen what they have been trying to do. So I wouldn't expect it to happen.
>>
>>46811795
PVC plastic it's not HIPS plastic. You will not get Warhammer or KDM quality miniatures from PVC. But, PVC is the industry standard for board games, and there are board games with PVC minis that look really good. Another big upside is that the minis will be preassembled, unlike HIPS minis.

As for size, 120mm to 150mm is pretty damn big, especially for board game minis. I own Cthulhu Wars, which is why I keep comparing it to that because it's the same scale, and I can verify that those sized minis are extremely impressive on the table. But, it is ~$40. For one mini. So, YMMV.
>>
>>46812175
You can soak PVC minis in hot water and bend them back into shape correct? I plan to fix and paint my minis when I get them so they're not bland or bent out of shape
>>
>>46812306
You can do that with any molded polymer, yes. PVC will do that, as will HIPS and resin.
>>
>>46812306
Actually I should specify, you don't have to even bend the plastic if you get the water hot enough. Polymers have a property called mold memory, which causes internal stresses in the material when it deforms away from its molded shape. When you heat the material up enough, though, the strength of the material will drop enough such that the mold memory stresses can deform the material back into its molded shape. You do have to be careful not to melt the material, but boiling water is usually not got hot enough to get close to the melting temperature.
>>
I must be an autist, because I'm trying to pledge but my card keeps getting denied. I know I'm entering everything correctly but that postal code seems janky.

Is there a trick to this, or is my card a shit? I'm in the states.
>>
>>46812537
Try calling the bank that issued your card, and seeing if it's being declined due to fraud protection. If so, tell explain the purchase to them, and ask them to let it go through.

They might just be blocking what they see as a suspicious transaction.
>>
>>46812553
I figured as much, right on. Doesn't look like anyone else had this issue
>>
>>46812553
>'Darkie Souls'? Is that some kind of Jamaican voodoo magic bullshit? Sounds like a scam to me, best block that
>>
>>46812446
>>46812501
Cool, thanks. I imagine these will hold primer just fine?
>>
>>46812644
More like
>Huh, our client has a sizable credit transaction, being requested by some business set up in a derelict warehouse in Bongistan.
>>
>>46806310
>I'd kill for a capra demon, taurus demon, Havel, Seigmeyer, Tarkus, or the Iron Golem.

An Iron Golem expansion that also lets you summon Tarkus to beat the shit out of it would be pretty fun, but I don't think NPCs/summoning is going to be part of the game.

On a similar note
>invader model
>isn't a shitbag Darkwraith twink or Giantdad

ONE JOB
>>
Who else is hopping that the base classes become add-ons? I'd drop 30 quid on 3 more Depriveds so me and my roomies can go full man mode
>>
So any idea how regular enemies work in this? Do they have an AI deck too or just generic attacks?
>>
File: more stretch goals.jpg (404 KB, 700x1558) Image search: [Google]
more stretch goals.jpg
404 KB, 700x1558
>>46812828
>>46806310

We might be in luck. The next stretch goal is alternate armor sets, of which two of them are clearly catarina armor and Havel. One of them miiiiiight be Solaire, its hard to tell from the outline.
>>
>>46812840
The mechanics look simple enough that you could write new classes or copies of classes down on index cards.
>>
File: nice.jpg (29 KB, 335x430) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
29 KB, 335x430
>>46813060

> top row
> far left

Is that some fucking Lautrec I see?
>>
>>46813100
Lets not be greedy, now.

Ha ha ha ha ha
>>
So Ive heard that the developer running this Dark Souls kickstarter has a history of not delivering on promises.
Any anons have thoughts or info on this? Im about to pull the trigger and back the game, but Im hesitating.
>>
>>46813147

Its a little over a hundred bucks for you to get the basic kickstarter rewards. Which is a fair amount, but that gets you the core game + everything listed in >>46813060 and extra cards for bosses and shit.

If we get even half of what we have been promised, the price is very fair and reasonable. If we get everything we have been promised, its a steal.

Id say that its worth the risk, compared to how much this would cost in retail. If you have the $100 to spare, then there is little reason not to.
>>
>>46813060

I also see Black Knight, Dragon Knight, and what might be a darkwraith?

Anyone else want to have a go at guessing who that pokemon is?
>>
>>46813060
So from left to right
Top row
>Propably Lautrec,because you can see part of his helmet
>TARKUUUUUUS
>Looks like a variation of a Black Knight's armour
Middle Row
>Amour of Catrina aka Onionbro
>Ingward or "generic" Sealer of New Londo
>Kirk?
>Quelana or another of the with of Izalith daughers
Bottom row
>Oolacile golem
>Havel the Rock
>Black Knight

And still no dragonbro or elite knight armour
>>
>>46813060
Lautrec / Tarkus / Ayy Siwmae
Siegmeyer / Gatekeeper / Darkwraith / Quelaana
Stone Guardian? / Havel / ???
>>
>>46813306
> >Looks like a variation of a Black Knight's armour

I'm pretty sure thats a dragon shrine warrior from DS2

> Kirk?

Like 90% sure thats the Darkwraith set, it has the spikey bits on the knees and an obvious hood
>>
Nameless King when
>>
>>46813060

Lautrec
Tarkus (or Solaire without the feather in order not to spoil it)
Domhall of zena

Siegmeyer
Laurentius
Darkwrath
Quelana

mossy stone golem armor
Havel
Black Knight
>>
>>46813060
Armor Sets
>Top
Set of Favor (Lautrec)
Black Iron (Tarkus)
Adventurer's Set (Domhnall)
>Middle
Catarina (Seigmeyer/Seiglinde)
Crimson (Ingward)
Dark (Darkwraith)
Gold-Hemmed Black (Quelena)
>Bottom
Guardian (Forest Giant)
Havel's
Black Knight
>>
>>46810981
KD looks cool, if you can get past the artificial scarcity.
>>
>read about this
>expect some shitty cash in job
>watch the video about how boss fights go down
>see all the unlocked stretch goals and planned expansions

It actually looks like something I'd bring to gaming night to play with people and we'd have fun doing it.

But, how will the Executioner Chariot fight go?
>>
I just want to paint a few.
>>
>>46813937
Possibly a larger tile than normal with a node ring around the edges?

Or possibly just the second phase fight where he doesn't circle around

>>46813971
This is the main reason I'm backing. I want to paint DaS minis
>>
Oh boy, Tarkus is already the next stretch goal :D
>>
>>46812681
Yeah, PVC primes just fine. You might even be able to get away with just top coating with paint.
>>
>>46813147
Can we get a link? What has he failed on? If it's big we could at least spread word.
>>
>>46813147
The developing company had a successful KS hit in the past is my understanding; game by the name of Guildball. Can you provide any more evidence of what you're saying? Cause people would like to hear, but without anything concrete then you're just shitposting.
>>
>>46816111
I didn't follow Guildball too closely, but from what I saw it was well received.

Is it just one member of the team or did they have to recant some modules? From what I know there hasn't been any negative press.
>>
>>46789225

It's the boss and all the stuff you need for him. I agree he's not really worth it (though hte mini is cool as fuck at least). The four kings on the other hand...

really though I wish they'd add Artorias as a stretch goal. He's the #1 boss I want to see them add. Not the fucking Last Giant.
>>
I'm expecting the likes of Gwyn and Artorias to be announced towards the end of the pledge cycle to get last minute people still sitting on the fence to commit.
>>
>>46816938
I don't get why those addons are so expensive. That better be the retail price. If it's even more, they are insane.
>>
>>46817430

It is the retail price I believe. The deal with that stuff is that in order to support brick and mortar stores those add-ons are for store owners to stock and stuff once it releases, but you can buy them directly from the KS so it looks like they're being sold at MSRP. Which makes sense because the board game itself isn't getting a discount and is at full price - just more bang for your buck in all the stretch goals (which appear to just be MORE PCs right now... no thanks give me bosses).
>>
>>46817486
they added pursuer, alonne and the smelter demon
>>
>>46817710

Yea I meant looking past that. Most recent one is the Black Iron Set PC, and the next mini unlock appears to be another PC set. Alonne is one of my favorite bosses though so I'm happy to see him in there.
>>
>>46817783
I'm gonna say that the next regular boss will be either an early boss like the dragon rider or Vordt, because everyone knows them, or one of the big names in the franchise, a la Artorias or Alonne

the next store level boss has to be Sif
>>
All this also comes with it now for the base price
>>
>>46817886
Alonne is already in m8
>>
>>46789089
If I had friends I'd play it
>>
>>46818084

> Its a 1-4 player game

Who needs friends?
>>
>>46818036
wait, shit

I meant Raime
>>
>>46818084
You can always leave the front door open and have a home invader play with you.
>>
>>46790307
Sometimes I forget /tg/ is Warhammer central, only to read a comment like this one.
I legitimately can't imagine how anything can be "fun" to paint -just varieties of greater and lesser pain in the ass.
>>
>>46818084
Seriously, what sold me is solitare mode.
>>
>>46818485
Easy answer...you're not a hobbyist and there's nothing wrong with that
>>
>>46818526
This.
>>
I have a very important question.

How do you paint the "phantom" effect for the darkwraith model?
>>
>>46818014
I was really hoping they'd add more tiles with the expansions.
Maybe it'd just be the same mechanic for the tiles, but ones with the Iron Keep aesthetic would be nice.
>>
File: kirk-knight-of-thorns-large.jpg (76 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
kirk-knight-of-thorns-large.jpg
76 KB, 600x338
>>46818608
Definitely important
>>
>>46818485
Damn bro, sounds like a hard life.
>>
>>46818608

Black/very dark blue or red basecoat, build up to red highlights.
>>
I really hope the Havel set gets funded.
>>
>>46818485
Clearly you don't enjoy painting then. I love painting and drawing in general. I often don't even need to think about what I'm doing. It just flows and whatever I'm doing typically turns out great because I don't mind putting hours into something. I can put 20 hours into a doodle on and off over the period of 3 months.

To me it's never a pain in the ass.
>>
>>46818811
I like drawing (though it's fair to say I'm shit at it) because I feel like I'm creating something.
Painting over an existing minature just feels like a chore. But I guess >>46818526 has the right of it. Different strokes for different folks.
>>
File: 1456029077424.jpg (141 KB, 1024x1253) Image search: [Google]
1456029077424.jpg
141 KB, 1024x1253
I really feel like this game could be fun and the kickstarter bonuses are a huge deal.
Sadly... I'm so fucking poor.
Why God why
>>
>>46818902
I like painting minis because drawing or painting on a canvas doesn't compare. It's really in it's own class. It's also something I can experiment with and learn new tricks to get something to look the right way.
>>
>>46819032
3D, nothing tops the creation of a physical object. It's the only thing I'm at peace.
>>
>>46818971
Take out a loan. :^)
>>
>>46819049
I enjoy most creative processes. I can often take something I learn from one medium and apply it to another in some sort of manner.
>>
>>46818971
damn #14 sounds like a whole ides of fun
>>
>>46803018
The last stretch goal is the inclusion of online pvp troll builds as minibosses
>>
>>46819459
the prospect of fighting Giantdad is actually ore interesting to me than fighting Pursuer again
>>
>>46819516
Giant Dad is not a troll build.
>>
>>46819108
That's cool, you get to enjoy so much more. I just can't get into 2D or nonphysical.
>>
>>46819551
It is made to borderline exploit poise and be difficult to start or stop. Only slightly less annoying than constant backstab fishing.
>>
Can players invade without anyone's consent and dick over the players for fun?
>>
>>46819566
That's okay. There is technically more things you can do in 3D than 2D. I'm actually still kinda inept at sculpting with greenstuff after having miniatures as a hobby for well over 15 years now.
>>
>>46819516
I'd love to see invader models with all sorts of goofy mismatched armor.

>Smough chest
>Artorias legs
>Xanthous Crown

Ready for the runway, baby.
>>
>>46819551
That's true Giant Dad aint no dad joke.
>>
>>46819756
>modular invader figures
>>
>>46819725
>playing darksouls the boardgame with your friends at your house
>dark and stormy night outside
>BOOM, BOOM, CRASH
>A chubby man crashes through your front door with a lunchbox sized briefcase
>He runs up to the gameboard and shouts "DARK SPIRIT FAGOLINA IS INVADING YOUR WORLD" as he opens his box mid lunge and slams his custom Giantdad miniature on the gameboard
>you are contractually bound by the boardgame to fight him
>>
>>46819830
>Claim you're activating the Seed of a Tree of Giants
>Call the cops
>>
>>46819872
>the cops realize what's going on
> all pull out blue sentinels
>Gank the shit out of the (home) invader
> confiscate his piece as evidence
> leave
>one of the players just packs up and goes home afterwards
>>
>>46819830
>you were indicted
>>
File: grossly incandescent.jpg (168 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
grossly incandescent.jpg
168 KB, 1280x720
Do players get extra Estus doses if they bring their own Sunny D to the session?
>>
File: 1460070873357.jpg (96 KB, 600x627) Image search: [Google]
1460070873357.jpg
96 KB, 600x627
really hoping we get some Lord Gwyn model
or maybe even the Ancient Dragon and he's just a fucking bitch to kill, fight taking forever?
>>
>>46819830
>U
>>46819872
>>46819927
>>46819950
Glorious. Simply glorious.
>>
>>46819830
>BOOM, BOOM, CRASH
>Five men in spiked leather bdsm gear burst into the room
>They move in synchronized harmony, dropping five identical unarmed Armour of Thorns figurines onto the board
>they lay their cards out onto the table before rolling away to assume the ginyu force pose
>and as Awaken My Masters starts playing, muffled from an mp3 player nestled in one of their latex jockstraps they announce in unison "Your move~"
>>
>>46820227
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE
>>
File: JUST.jpg (36 KB, 680x318) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
36 KB, 680x318
Someone tell them to fix that gargoyle, holy shit
>>
>>46820992
>"Work in progress version"
Someone can't read.
>>
>>46819551
Yes, it's just a shitty build that was viable when noone really knew how to play the fucking game.
>>
>>46811422
Guts' sword is easily the most popular weapon in DS2.
>>
>>46821124
It's more about the fact that it worked better before later patches - you could flip-roll with under 50% load (now it's under 25%) so original Dad would go with Favor & Protection + Dark Wood Grain Ring, have even more HP (because you don't need that much weight limit and can add more Vitality).
Also would do more damage (because Humanity synergy on Chaos weapons used to have different formula).
>>
File: 1455868398339.jpg (166 KB, 700x989) Image search: [Google]
1455868398339.jpg
166 KB, 700x989
>>46811550

Honestly the draw for me is the gameplay in general and aesthetics.
>>
Just played a little Kingdom Death. If this is what the combat feels like in this, I'll like it.
>>
>>46811510
That sounds really fun! I might have to do something like this with my friends.
>>
>>46811510
Didn't they already say it was PVC?
>>
>>46789228
The difference, of course, is that Dark Souls is a good game (with the exception of DS2) and that Bubsy sucks.
>>
>>46829043
Dark Souls 2 is a good game compared to most other games on the market, you spoiled twerp.
>>
>>46830084
>compared to most other games on the market
Means literally nothing. Jurassic World was better than most movies released in 2015 but it was still a boring mess.
>>
I have never been that interested in Dark Souls.. but fuck me, that looks cool as fuck
>>
>>46830167
das2 was a very good game, it was just worse than 1 so people sperg on it.
>>
>>46830462
>das2 was a very good game
No it wasn't.
>>
>>46789089
Next stretch goal is Donald of Zena!
>>
>>46830765
Need onionbro.
>>
>>46830462
This. DaS2 was a fine game on it's own merits. It doesn't even come close to what I would consider a bad game. The only problem I have with it is the soul memory mechnics.

Only spergs whine like a broken engine over DaS2 not being as good as DaS1.
>>
>>46830818
>>46830462

I wouldn't even entirely call it worse. Das2 did something that more game devs should try. They tried to innovate and change up some areas that didn't work fantastically the first time (Pyromancy/PvP etc).

It didn't end up working out perfectly but at least they didn't just try to shit out a soulless rehash.

I like both of them a lot, though I'll admit the overall design of the environment was better in DaS, DaS2 has some of my favorite environments like the Old Iron Keep.
>>
The problem with DaS2 is that it cut its own legs off running out the gate and that's followed it ever since.

Regardless of whether the game is good (it's all right, not great, vastly prefer every other game in the series), there are literally hundreds of thousands of diehard souls fans who will hate it forever for what Bamco and From pulled with the development cycle of this game (until a few months ago I was one of them). It's better to just admit defeat and accept that you will never be able to have a serious discussion about it on 4chan. It's equivalent to trying to get a legitimate thread about Hitler as a leader going, it's just not going to happen.
>>
>>46830857
I rather liked that I didn't have to grind for specific upgrade materials in specific locations. That shit was never fun, challenging or interesting.
>>
>>46803018
Not only does the game look fun, but I could totally get a lot of mileage off the miniatures with my local DnD group. Ornstein and the Invader are both BBEG material
>>
>>46789089
Not bad, really captures the feel of the games.
>>
>>46818608
>>46818656

I'd say like modern dark eldar where the armour is mostly black just with coloured edge highlighting.
>>
File: dumbamericans1.jpg (29 KB, 470x315) Image search: [Google]
dumbamericans1.jpg
29 KB, 470x315
>>46829043
>Darksouls 2 is a bad game
Stop this meme.
>>
>>46829043
If Dark Souls 1 is such a well made game, how come Lost Izalith is such a shitty designed area compared to anything in Dark Souls 2? How come the performance in Blight Town is absolute shit due to halfassed coding? How come it's okay when Miazaki does it?
>>
>>46832117
DS1's bad areas come at the tail end of the game. DS2 is ass right out of the gate.
>>
>>46832376
DaS2 had a troublesome development because the director, who figured that he was apparently the wrong guy for the job, decided to bail halfway through development. So because we live in the real world where From Software is a small studio that can't afford to restart costly developments, they had little choice but to salvage what had already been done. Whatever the original vision for it was disappeared halfway through the development. Originally the entire game world was intended to be darker and you were supposed to rely on torches. So I figure that's were a lot of the flat level design comes from.

Considering the situation the development was in, I would say it's impressive that it wasn't a Duke Nukem Forever tier catastrophe right out the gate.

Some of the better things DaS2 did was have teleportation from all the bonfires, revision the asstastic weapon upgrade system and the DLC areas are better than most areas in DaS1.
>>
>>46818014
>Armor set Expansion
Are those menat to be miniature or cards?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.