[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you explain fantasy things happening in your sci-fi settings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 16
File: Endless_Legend_Artwork_5.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Endless_Legend_Artwork_5.jpg
301 KB, 1920x1080
How do you explain fantasy things happening in your sci-fi settings and vice versa?
>>
File: magic witch tits.gif (2 MB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
magic witch tits.gif
2 MB, 768x576
>>46783911
>fantasy things happening in your sci-fi setting
it's magic, don't got to explain shit
>sci-fi things happening in your fantasy setting
its also magic, don't got to explain shit
>>
>>46784052
Source for the gif?
>>
>>46784071
Renkin 3-kyū Magical? Pokān
>>
>>46784071
It's from Renkin San-Kyuu Magical Pokan for anyone else who's wondering, sorry about the off topic post

As for the thread, you don't, and if you do it's either: a) giving a plausible explanation that's more consistent with the setting. Sci-fi tech can be just really refined magic, and magic can be extremely advanced sci-fi tech (it's shit either way) or b) go the Dune route and just never fucking explain the odd elements in any way or form, let people make their theories
>>
>>46784180
Oh, beat me to it
>>
>>46783911
You pick a setting and stick with it.
>>
>>46783911
Sci Fi: Psionics or mastery of physics far beyond human comprehension.
Fantasy: no explanation or magi-tech
>>
>>46783911
>How do you explain fantasy things happening in your sci-fi settings and vice versa?
The same way I describe science things happening in sci-fi settings and fantasy things happening in fantasy settings: I focus on the important details, which ones will be most relevant to the characters, and remember to highlight more senses than just sight. Most characters are going to get a chance to hear, feel, or even smell the results, so don't be afraid to mention them if the sensation is strong.
>>
>>46784243
>when you thought it was a fantasy setting the whole time but then the GM reveals you were actually in a sci-fi setting the whole time
>everything makes sense and works still without feeling contrived
>>
>>46783911
I don't explain the fantasy things happening in my sci-fi, no one in universe understands it, so why should the player/reader?
>>
Nanomachines.
>>
Don't bother, and ignore that blurry line between scifi and fantasy like how it used to be so long ago.
>>
>>46783911
I am the DM, I am your God now
>>
All the sci-if stuff is just the magic of the world being more efficient through conductors and the like.
>>
>>46784378
what is star ocean till the end of time for 300 alex?
>>
>>46783911
> Fantasy in sci-fi
> vice versa
> dat pic

What your people call magic and what my people call science are one and the same
>>
>>46783911
>Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
It follows that magic is indistinguishable from sufficiently advanced technology.
Basically, the difference is nominative.
>>
File: Cultists.png (3 MB, 1080x667) Image search: [Google]
Cultists.png
3 MB, 1080x667
>>46783911
Can we please have an Endless Legend thread? Its pretty amazing. I should like to run a game using the setting.
>>
>>46783911
With scifi happening in magic, that's easy.
Older fantasy fiction and scifi were always a LOT less differentiated and oftentimes magic was treated almost like an advanced science we just lost the knowledge of how to use.

That would be why Blackmoor has an alien spaceship in it.
>>
File: Arcane assembly.jpg (29 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
Arcane assembly.jpg
29 KB, 600x462
>>46783911
>Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
>Any sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from technology.
>>
>>46786514
>I should like to run a game using the setting.
I feel like it really should have it's own system made for doing an Auriga based setting.

Just some way we can make mechanics like abilities that consume dust instead of having some kinda mana system or casts per day that most systems have.
Ardent mage style spell casting also incorporating the caster's pain threshold and physical durability as components.
>>
File: 1448244222650.gif (3 MB, 406x300) Image search: [Google]
1448244222650.gif
3 MB, 406x300
>>46786575
>that entire image
>>
File: rip the skin.png (360 KB, 504x461) Image search: [Google]
rip the skin.png
360 KB, 504x461
>>46786439
IIRC, science in the Endless setting is shit that actually follows physics and the laws of the universe. Dust is the driving force of the setting because it really is magic. It lets you do things that completely ignore physics, and it does crazy shit like make rocks come to life and form a civilization.

It has been a hot minute since I read any of the deep lore mind you, so I may be completely and utterly wrong here.
>>
It's speculative fiction
>>
>>46786612
I've been wanting to do a homebrew game for Endless Legend for a while, and that idea about the magic system using Dust instead of Mana is awesome. I'm pretty sure that all self-aware beings and certain other organisms have some Dust in them, and that is how they can use magic without Dust on hand. Am I wrong on that?

I really love the idea though of using external Dust to cast more and better spells. How would the Ardent Mage style interact with all that though? Isn't their whole thing something about pain giving them greater clarity of mind? Does that allow them to use their inner Dust more easily?
>>
>>46786621
Dust is essentially nanomachines created by the Endless, and varies between the Virtual Endless and Concrete Endless. It's self-replicating, and can store bits of information.
Basically, it's a galactically-permeable grey goo that isn't evil, and can change reality in such a way that replicates magic.

The Ardent Mages' ability to power it through pain could just be a combination of the Virtual's form of dust (transport information) and the Concrete's dust (manipulate the environment) via the physiological response of the caster. Maybe?

>>46786514
I was thinking about this earlier! Been loving the game, and felt that translating the setting to the tabletop would be productive.
>>46786612
Such a great idea. Pain magic sounds really neat, and it would be interesting to see how it'd differ from other forms of casting.
>>
>>46786612
Morale should be a big thing in combat since they try to make it a large element of the game's combat, especially with the new faction the most recent expansion added.
>>
>>46784180
NEVER EVER
>>
File: it might have been.jpg (54 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
it might have been.jpg
54 KB, 850x400
>>46786733

>>46786720
So would the pain magic be using the Virtual's Dust to transport the information of what they want to happen and simultaneously transporting the Concrete's Dust to manipulate the environment? It seems redundant, but I guess you could allow pain magic to let you cast self-maintaining spells. That could be very interesting, especially if everyone else is restricted to one spell at a time.
>>
>>46786621
Dust is nanorobots able to restructure matter at the atomic level. It's not magic, though for all intent and purpose it could be considered as such.

Cloud of nanobots used as magic is a really, really, really old idea in science fiction. 60's old idea to be precise. Nothing too fancy in there
>>
>>46786621
>Rocks come to life
You mean the Harmony? They were already living and a hive mind. Dust just made them into individuals.
>>
>>46787072
Nah, I meant the Silics from Endless Legend.

Sorry I spouted off apparently without knowing anything about the Endless setting. I've played precious little Endless Space, and it was years ago at that, but I've played a lot of Endless Legend, so my knowledge of the series comes almost entirely from that.
>>
>>46787196
The Slics are the Harmony.
>>
>>46787208
Well I guess it's time to jump head first into the Endless Space wiki. I'm just grateful you guys haven't been tearing into me for my wild ignorance. It happens plenty on /tg/ but not always, and that's why I like and actually post on this board but only lurk on the one other I visit. Thanks for the patience and/or unspoken disgust.
>>
File: NecrophagesTradingCard.jpg (257 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NecrophagesTradingCard.jpg
257 KB, 1920x1080
>>46786514
>Play Clans
>Do trade and production
>Military is shit
>Doesn't matter by mid game I already have 6 factions under my control through trade
>Check score
>I'm in second place, "Da fuck is this bullshit"
>Turns out Bug faction been gaining ground
>Alright seeing how they ain't killing anyone yet I guess I wouldn't go to war
>Later dragons go to war with bugs, their war help me boost my score
>Near end game, start too see Bugs winning the score
>Turns out while I was busy dusting it up the bugs been winning the war, taking land, and form a trade agreement with some pissed off Vaulters
>Bugs are winning the game by A LOT, game is about to end fast
>Tell the 4 remaining factions that are still under my control to go to war with the bugs
>But it's too late, bugs held off all 4 factions and took land from them
>Game over bugs won

Why the fuck are theses bugs so damn good?
>>
>>46787480
Bugs always seem to be in second or first place under the AI, yet I'm shit at playing them.

What is their civilization like (in fluff) anyway? How many of their "citizens" are self-aware?
>>
File: 289130_2015-01-29_00002.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
289130_2015-01-29_00002.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>46787480
Proliferator doomstacks.
>>
>>46787480
You gotta wipe the bugs out early, or they are gonna roll all over the whole world.
>>
Hah, I love this. My GM and I were just playing a game earlier.
>>
How big of a project would it be to make an Endless Legend RPG system?
>>
File: 1455885838152.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455885838152.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>46789660
Not very. I'm sure you can adapt existing systems (rules lite or rules heavy, whatever you want) by changing or overhauling only a few systems. Properly depicting the tech level, equipment and the magic of the setting would be harder, but that's mostly busywork to refluff and tweak existing stuff.

Mostly, the Endless setting does not need it's own system, but a creative enough GM to capture it's feel.
>>
>>46789710
I always hated how the Vaulter crossbows had the vertical limbs on their bows that would smack their wrists when fired.
>>
File: 1447464750250.jpg (561 KB, 1000x647) Image search: [Google]
1447464750250.jpg
561 KB, 1000x647
>>46789912
I imagine they are offset to the side a bit, but we can't see it because of the view angle.

Or maybe the strings are so incredibly tensed, firing each bolt only needs to release it a bit, not all the way.
>>
What do you mean by fantasy and sci-fi things? I have never design my settings by some arbitary limits on what is supposed to be fantasy or sci-fi. Besides that would be kind of hard since fantasy can be anything and sc-fi basically just means the that story is based on science in some way.
>>
>>46784378
Actually this is probably one of oldest and most overused fantasy meme that is present in many popular fantasy settings (in some cases most people even don't know about it such as with Might and Magic) and shouldn't really surprise anyone.

It's still not a bad meme though and can be actually used to justify many things that otherwise wouldn't make sense.
>>
File: TLG.jpg (38 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
TLG.jpg
38 KB, 500x333
>>46783911
Nanomachines
>>
>>46790345
Hello Mr Kojima.
MGS 6 when?
>>
File: Men_Laughing_With_Salad2.jpg (138 KB, 302x397) Image search: [Google]
Men_Laughing_With_Salad2.jpg
138 KB, 302x397
>>46790351
Once you give me enough money to buy out the license from Konami.
>>
File: 1429561843189.png (668 KB, 910x1200) Image search: [Google]
1429561843189.png
668 KB, 910x1200
>>46790345
Nanomachines!
>>
>>46787620
>How many of their "citizens" are self-aware?
Not clear, but probably only the queens and the Dust altered drones truly have the ability to reconcile themselves as individuals separate from their colony as a whole.
>>
>>46790125
I like it when the technology present in the setting is really obvious to the reader but the protagonists have never seen anything like it.
>>
>>46793329
Yeah, that can be pretty cool. I personally love post-apocalypse based fantasy where everything is pretty medieval or otherwise primitive, but occasionally old things that no one understands pop out and get repurposed or analyzed in very odd ways by people in the setting.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.