[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: FAGNESS (2).png (32 KB, 300x120) Image search: [Google]
FAGNESS (2).png
32 KB, 300x120
>Previous Thread
>>46763315
>Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/NjH6gQqi

>20th anniversary editions
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lfa6qw2ocfd2y/Roleplaying#mt9aacn2r93i2

>Mage Sight Spoilers
http://theonyxpath.com/i-can-see-for-miles-and-miles-mage-the-awakening/

>Question
Are there any more eras you want to see?
>>
chronicles of fagness
>>
Honestly I think they should just rewrite Beast as the go to evil campaign.

The way it was written really gives off a "it was just a prank bro" vibe
>>
>>46777303
>Are there any more eras you want to see?

1950s America for Promethean, where xenophobia and Communist witch hunts make life even harder for the Created and the power if the atom births the first Zeka. The Bronze Age Collapse for Mummy, where the entire Mediterranean seems to be dying off in bloody wars and incredibly natural disasters - and that's before the demons wake up. I'd love to see more Requiem for Rome content. Crossover settings are dynamite; I'm thinking some combination of Mage, Changeling, and Hunter for a psychadelic Cold War thing.
>>
File: Giddy Up.jpg (27 KB, 289x399) Image search: [Google]
Giddy Up.jpg
27 KB, 289x399
>>
>>46777389

Beast doesn't know what it wants to be, and CofD was never made to have evil campaigns. It's too aware of the human cost. Even Slashers was made largely with the idea that you're basically playing, at worst, an anti-hero.
>>
>>46777303
I wanna see Witch Trials Mage or Second Sight, desu

Also Monday Meeting Notes and the Thousand Steel Teeth spoiler since Fagness forgot them
http://theonyxpath.com/all-pitched-out-monday-meeting-notes/
http://theonyxpath.com/get-your-motor-running/
>>
>>46777583
Well slashers was made to hunt slashers, with the side option to play them if you really really really want to. Just like how you can play Pure.
>>
>>46777731

Yeah, you can play the Pure, or the Seers, or Slashers, but they were never the main splat, y'know? Beast exists entirely to be awful.
>>
>>46777954
And to feed off of the success of other, more popular books.
>>
File: SamHaighAd.gif (177 KB, 600x788) Image search: [Google]
SamHaighAd.gif
177 KB, 600x788
So it's been a good 10 years with nWoD/CofD and the question is lingering.

What's stopping me from playing a Wolf-Blooded Ghoul with Mortal (GMC) magic?
>>
>>46778111

Well, for one, mortal magic requires you to not be supernatural, and Ghouls count as a lesser template.
>>
>>46778111
Nothing except your GM, and hopefully some modicum of self awareness.
>>
>>46777303
Great War Hunter, with all major belligerents using monsters and counter-occult teams, the driving question being if the use of monsters by your side is justifiable or pure hypocrisy.
>>
>>46778111
Nothing, assuming you get the mortal magic before you get ghouled.
>>
>>46778165

There's a brief mention in Dreams of Avarice of "the no-name group," a bunch of US government/military guys romping around the sandbox trying to find and understand supernatural stuff.

I want more of that.
>>
>>46778165
WW2 Geist.
>>
ignorant american here, what exactly happened in New Zealand in the 1950's that makes it relevant?
>>
>>46778720
Very little has ever really happened in New Zealand.
This coming from an actual New Zealander.
>>
>>46778796
Isn't the most interesting thing to happen to NZ is their participation in WW2?
>>
>>46778796
Then for what purpose?

It seemed completely left field
>>
>>46778720
the great emu war
>>
>>46778720
Nothing that didn't happen pretty much everywhere else, with countries having to deal with the socio-economic after effects of World War II.
>>
>>46778845
Also our eternal pissing match with my other nationality, Australia.

Oh, we also ahve a smug sense of satisfaction that we told America to go fuck themselves when they wanted to stick Nuclear Subs in one of our harbors.
>>
>>46778796
>>46778935

Hold on..., New Zealand isn't just a little known, widely ignored and generally insignificant province of Australia? Who knew?
>>
>>46779072
Might as well be sometimes.
The Australian consitution has a clause permitting New Zealand to join without a referendum.
>>
>>46778796
Don't you mean an actual Kiwi?
>>
File: Toronto-Mentalist-Magician-IM.jpg (872 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Toronto-Mentalist-Magician-IM.jpg
872 KB, 1920x1080
General noob question: I'm playing my second game of WoD, and I'm trying to make a performing magician who stumbles upon "true" magic while researching old magic tricks. Is there a way in the rules to allow him to perform magic out of a spellbook, or have to rely on a magical item, that doesn't necessarily involve him being a Mage? Or is this something I just have to work with my GM on.
>>
>>46779369
if it was oWoD you could've been an orphan. new mage you'll have to fluff the setting a little differently.
>>
>>46777303
>Are there any more eras you want to see?
read it as
>Are there any more ears you want to see?
>>
>>46779448
Yeah it's using Mage: The Awakening but nWoD for everything else.

What's this about an "orphan"?
>>
>>46779369

Classic WOD or nWOD/CofD?

In the CofD, most magic is not the Supernal magic of true mages, and you ideas would be perfectly appropriate for a mortals campaign.

Take a look at the supplement, Second Sight. It has the rules for mortal magic, psychics, and similar phenomena.
>>
>>46779493
In old mage, everyone had a tradition of magical might and fuckery they subscribed too. Everyone except the orphans. These poor fucks usually have no idea what's going on, get magic powers they can barely control, and get spit on by every other magical group. But they can just about anything as a magical tool.
>>
>>46779532
Cool, thanks anon. I'll check out that Second Sight, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

>>46779566
If my DM doesn't want to add the supplement above ^, I'll work some story out about him finding a book that contains knowledge of the awakening, and becoming an orphan from there.
>>
>>46779855
No problem, anon. Someone needs to love the Orphans
>>
Don't the Banishers generally have uncontrollable magic they happen upon?

Alternatively, could anon play a hedge mage or aegis hunter, or sleepwalker who just happens to chill with mages?

Speaking of sleepwalkers, have we had any hints how they are doing in 2e mage? I loved what they did with wolfblooded.
>>
>>46780086

Sleepwalkers: theonyxpath.com/supporting-cast-mage-the-awakening/

We also had an example Proximus in Dark Eras, weird ant-men who are really good at fighting but have to obey any orders goven in High Speech.

As for the Banisher thing, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Mad? Banishers are just mages that hunt Mages.
>>
>>46780086
From what DaveB's said, Sleepwalker is still just a 1-dot merit which makes you immune to Quiescence.

If you want actual powers, you've got to go Proximi.
>>
>>46780378
>>46780386
Were proximi already in mage? I mean last time I looked in that book was years ago so I could just not remember them.
>>
>>46780463
Yep, artificially created human bloodlines who have an innate ability to learn certain Rotes.

Created in centures past likely by Archmasters in supreme acts of hubris. Despite this, they are of exceptional use to the Pentacle, and I would also assume the Seers. But I don't remember reading anything about the Seers and Proximi.
>>
>>46780463
I think they were introduced in Silver Ladder? Either that or Seers.
>>
>>46780521
This would make more sense to me, or my memory is just that bad that I've forgotten them. I never read the silver ladder splat though.
>>
>>46780521
Core book, page 334
>>
>>46780569
>>46780521
>>46780463
Proximi are in the book, but it's just a merit that does nothing. Silver Ladder (and Seers) give actual mechanics. As far as I'm aware, there are only the three Proximus Dynasties. Seers, Merovingians, and Myrmadons.
>>
>>46780704

Statted up. There's mant more in-setting.
>>
>>46774440
It'd explain the quality of his writing. Or lack thereof.
>>
File: Gayracula1983_10.jpg (121 KB, 848x794) Image search: [Google]
Gayracula1983_10.jpg
121 KB, 848x794
>>46777313
>>
>>46781338
Which things that DaveB wrote do you think lack quality?
>>
>>46781759
I think he's saying that Brucato is Dave's evil half.
>>
>>46781828
More that he's doing the rough equivalent of writing fanfiction for AScension that totally isn't ascension, guys.
>>
>>46781851

So we know we're getting three new Hunting Grounds in The Pack (Makta, Bangkok, and Dubai), amd I believe DaveB mentioned we're getting New York City in an upcoming Mage supplement.

I've gotta ask; what cities would you like to see in future supplements for each line?

I'm dying to see Istanbul, Rome, and Cairo get treatments in Vampire; the only ancient city we saw in VtR 2e was Athens, but its age didn't really feature.
>>
A unified cosmology promised from the beginning.

Unfortunately i have to wait on Paradox.
>>
>>46782480
That won't happen. Continue waiting.
>>
How do Legacies work in Mage 2e?
>>
So how can I use these guys for Geist.

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/NextWorld
>>
>>46782433
I wanna see Phoenix, Arizona, get featured in Vampire, Demon, or Mage.

Vampire because of the irony of a bunch of vampires living in the Valley of the Sun, Demon because it's got a good mix of religious nuts an odd takes on larger religions that it could be interesting to see(There's a legitimate shinto-styled Christian church in the city, I've passed before), Mage because with a name like 'Phoenix' you know there's gotta be some legit birds of flame in the city, either in reality, in the Shadow, or in the Astral.

>>46782913
The only example we've got is the Nagaraja. Going off of that, iirc, you can join them at Gnosis 1, as long as you meet the other requirements, and there are 5 attainments, one for each dot of Gnosis up to 5. Otherwise, same as 1e.
>>
>>46782913
http://theonyxpath.com/legacies
>>
>>46782480
What is currently off with the cosmology?
>>
>>46782993

As someone who moved to Phoenix about six months ago, I can't see the appeal in a chronicle here. This place is a hellhole.
>>
>>46783331
Sounds like a demon campaign.
>>
>>46783157
Let's just start with the one that starts an argument:

Why is everything else subject and subordinate to the supernal? It's been pretty clearly shown that the spirits Luna and the like using improvised numina don't actually affect the supernal. So there's something up there sponsoring vampires and the like.
>>
>>46783496
Doesn't that imply the opposite too? That the supernal just doesn't influence much in reality? If godlike spirits numina doesn't reflect there, and we known these spirits directly influence the fallen world, is the supernal just off pretending it matters?
>>
File: BaitPres3.jpg (10 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
BaitPres3.jpg
10 KB, 250x375
>>46783496
>>
>>46783715
Well, yeah. The entire argument always brings out the DaveB taint-lickers who argue against Mage being in charge. It's why I sort of danced around it.
>>46783673
Not really. Check out Imperial Mysteries - anything erased in the supernal ceases as though it never was. Anything destroyed in reality still exists in the supernal and has meaning.
>>
File: shadow gods are spirit..png (230 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
shadow gods are spirit..png
230 KB, 480x800
>>46783496
The supernal effects the fallen world but the reverse is also true. The supernal reflects the truth of the world, if the world changes so does the supernal.
That's how thing like luna are the patron in the Ascension War.
Why else would archmasters need to worry about the Shadow Gods for making werewolf like creatures?
>>
>>46783792
>Mage being in charge

mage isn't in charge because mage doesn't technically-speaking exist when you're not playing a mage game. Why on Earth would I, acting as ST in my Werewolf campaign with some upcoming mage crossover, have the NPC start screaming about how the uratha are but motes in the eyes of gods & utterly meaningless before the might of the Supernal, etc. and then have that turn out to be actually, literally correct? That's not fun or interesting!
>>
>>46783877
Isn't the same true of the shadow? The shadow influences reality, and reality influences the shadow. If someone managed to take down mother Luna, the Moon would probably start having a bad day, and if the moon was destroyed DBZ style, Luna would either go unhinged or cease to be herself (only surviving off of other similar essence)
>>
>>46783877
They improvise numina that do things LIKE the imperial practices, not the imperial practices themselves. Do you really think exiled gods would have any trouble returning to the supernal if it were otherwise?
>>
File: 1460181086991.png (26 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
1460181086991.png
26 KB, 480x479
>>46783903
..'just a toolbox'..

For those not yet playing at home, here you go. Unified cosmology. Does it every time.
>>
>>46784060
i played the game. i took that hook into my mouth without a second thought. i am a fool.
>>
>>46784083
For God's sake, find the shift key.
>>
File: ichiba009.jpg (742 KB, 800x993) Image search: [Google]
ichiba009.jpg
742 KB, 800x993
>>46784109
what are you, a cop?
>>
File: Bearapy_Required.jpg (44 KB, 400x417) Image search: [Google]
Bearapy_Required.jpg
44 KB, 400x417
>>46783331
>This place is a hellhole.

>Missing the point even though you directly point it out.
I'm actually running a game set in Phoenix, already. It's going pretty well, overall, except for the fact that the 2 people I started with have both dropped out, and 2 of the 3 I've got now have shitty Covers.

also
>tfw atamajakki lives in the same city as you
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-19-20-43-13.png (240 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-19-20-43-13.png
240 KB, 480x800
>>46783992
Yes that does stand true for the shadow as well.
>>46784031
I did not bring up Numina, my point was that the dupernal must reflect the world just as the world must reflect it. Also lets not forget the Gods of the supernal were kicked out, even injured in someway.
>>
>>46784265
I don't really get why people want to beef with atamajakki. They're pretty inoffensive compared to your Aspels or Camillas.
>>
>>46784060
Funnier than the fifth time!
>>
>>46784297
Not as bad as Aspel or Camilla, no, but something about people known by a name in a /tg/ thread just screams bad news to me. Especially when they proudly display that name with a tripkey on all their posts.

DaveB and other devs are exceptions, though, since I'm aware that they're not shitposters.(Generally)
>>
File: conga.jpg (26 KB, 236x377) Image search: [Google]
conga.jpg
26 KB, 236x377
>>46784292
Why must it? Please point to the 1e passage on the topic. Because there are plenty saying otherwise, like aponeia.
>>46784306
Man, if you think that's funny, wait until you see what I saved from the last thread in case he didn't show up.
>>
>>46784350
Im actually looking for it now.
>>
>>46784060

People who want a unified cosmology for CofD are just people who want to read books instead of play games.
>>
What do you guys think of Tech Infantry?
>>
>>46784496
I kind of wish they'd put another square in there for "You disagree with me so you've never played a single game."
>>
>>46784576
Just for you.
(also haven't seen a mpreg post in awhile.)
>>
>>46784576

It's usually far more than not having played a game. It's a matter of not actually having thoroughly read the relevant books, often originally misunderstanding a rule or setting element and never been corrected or just having a houserule or change they incorrectly consider canon.

Far too many people base their understanding of a game, both setting and mechanics, on forum discussions or casual conversation, rather than reading a books themselves. When you repeat something enough, you begin to believe, even if a book explicitly contradicts it and the person is provided with clear citations.

Of course, we can never discount the fact that some people are just malicious trolls or sadly autistic or stupid.
>>
>>46784726

I can't wait for Mage 2e's release.

The "Mage 2e When" will be gone, but "Dave Say What" will be on fire.
>>
>>46784770
Or high school intellectuals desperate to impress folks on the internet by saddling their vocabulary up and taking it for a ride.
>>
File: Late Night Llama.jpg (190 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Late Night Llama.jpg
190 KB, 1280x853
>>46784726
>>
>>46784496
But cofd is the one that actually has a unified cosmology. It is a feature of the game over Wod that it works together. Saying otherwise us sort of silly.

It isn't a perfect cosmology because no information is perfect in cofd, but it is there.
>>
>>46784808

If you honestly believe that earlier post was a demonstration of an expanded vocabulary or intellectualism, it's truly a sad commentary on your educational development and peers.

It's no wonder you haven't read the books and apparently fail to understand the various settings and rules. They are well above you level of reading comprehension and emotional maturity.

Don't worry, there are games more suited to your level. Maybe you should try some with talking cartoon animals...
>>
>>46784882

Games that have consistent mechanics and some common elements is not necessarily the same thing as a "unified cosmology,"

Further, the fact that the cosmologies of the various CofD games are often inconsistent, confusing and incomplete is an intentional design choice to emphasize personal horror and permit open creative space for future games and supplements.
>>
>>46785024
What like mouse guard? Because that game is amazing!
>>
>>46784808
>Or high school intellectuals desperate to impress folks on the internet by saddling their vocabulary up and taking it for a ride.

OK, we got, it you find big words and complicated ideas very scary.
>>
>>46785096
Yes, but unified cosmology doesn't require a perfect and finished cosmology. It is easy to agree that the cofd cosmology has intentional holes and vagueries, but several games cross reference the other cosmologies, heck Mage touches nearly all of them. The unified cosmology is right there.
>>
>>46784798
>I can't wait for Mage 2e's release.

If the book doesn't drop tomorrow, it will be at least another week.
>>
>>46785127
>>46785024
Or funny. Anyone who feels the urge to burn half a dozen words to say what two can do is an idiot.
>>
>>46785152
>The unified cosmology is right there.

Yes, there certainly are a number of unifying *elements*, but also contradictions and worse among the gamelines.

You can infer your own unified cosmology, but each game is supposed to be independent and stand on its own (grrr, except possibly the abomination that is Beast). It's doubtful that WW will ever provide the necessary material to truly unify the CofD gamelines' histories and cosmologies because it would detract from each games' themes and ultimately limit each setting.
>>
>>46785264
You can say that, but I dunno, you should like quote some stuff or something, make a case. Because anyone who has read more than one cofd book can see how they connect, I would say it is on you to prove they do not.
>>
>>46785264
It's fairly self evident that the game cosmologies don't conflict with one another at all. Where do you think they conflict? Cite examples, please.
>>
>>46784830
I'm pretty sure those are alpacas, friend.

>>46785152
The game lines may share a cosmology, but that doesn't mean they're intended to be run as a single universe.
Hell, Hunter alone is evidence that the default setting doesn't feature Forsaken, Kindred, or Awakened. Each of the big three has their own Hunter-specific version that is assumed to be what you will be running with, and a single sidebar in the book that explains that you could also just use the big splat they're based on if you want to.

Honestly, I'm all for running games where most/all of the splats exist in the same world. If only because it means I can throw Idigam, Werewolves, Kindred, Strix, Prometheans, Pandorans, Qashmallim, Demons, Angels, Changelings, Huntsmen, Sin-Eaters, et cetera, at my players, whichever they aren't expecting based on the splat they're playing, purely for the sake of surprising them and reminding them that the Darkness stretches beyond the nooks they call home.

>>46785342
There is no need to prove they do not. The point is that they aren't required to. Yes, there are connections, but no, that doesn't mean that you have to involve or expand on those connections in your game. Running a game of Werewolf, and your Iron Master bought the Death facet that lets you see Ghosts? Cool, you can introduce a Sin-Eater for him to puzzle over, if you want. Or not. It's entirely up to you.
>>
>>46785416
Yeah but saying it isn't required says only that. The games like hunter include their own rules so you don't need five books to play hunter, and because hunters generally don't know wtf they are fighting. That is a matter of perspective, not different cosmologies.
>>
>>46784576

What possible benefit to a game would a truly unified setting give, besides "you bought all the lines, go you"?
>>
>>46785461
Are you actually arguing for a set of game lines explicitly set in the same universe, using the same rules, designed as a part of a universe to be 'crossover friendly' to have massive irreconcilable differences?
>>
>>46784350
>>46784031
I just went through the entire imperial mysteries book, and i was wrong. There is no direct line saying "changes to the fallen world changes supernal."
And so I apologize.
>>
>>46785492
Here's a first on 4chan, folks. Now adopt a tag so we can hold it over you forever, wrong-be-er.
>>
>>46778140
some minor templates can use mortal magic. Stigmatics & Wolf blooded, yes. Ghoul, pretty sure not because they get vampire magic.
>>
>>46785552
Some should be able to. Minor telepathy, the assorted luck magics, geomancy, etc. Flavour it differently for them all, of course.
>>
>>46785552
>>46785588

I believe Dave also indicated that Proximi can acquire all the mortal magical and psychic merits, and that many have them in addition to the Supernal abilities. If they Awaken, the dots will be redistributed appropriately consistent with the Sanctity of Merits.
>>
>>46785588
Maybe. I as an ST would probably say "No, you already get access to vampire magic so you will have to pass on mortal Supernatural merits", I'd say the same for fae touched as they get access to some changeling magic if I recall. But for TRULY minor supernatural templates, wolf blooded/stigmatics who basically just get a tell, it's a bit different.
>>
>>46784726
Do none of you people know how BINGO works?
>>
>>46785704
Wolfblooded get a lot more these days. But I'd almost expect a stigmatic to have another supernatural merit.
>>
>>46785460
>The game lines may share a cosmology, but that doesn't mean they're intended to be run as a single universe.
I'm not saying the cosmologies are different. In fact I explicitly said they're the same, and I like to run games with a shared cosmology.
I'm saying that when Hunter tells you to run Werewolves as the classical myth monsters that only turn on the full moon and slaughter mindlessly, it's because they games aren't designed with crossover in mind, not because Hunters don't know that Werewolves are actually half-spirit border-patrol agents who can turn any time they want.

>>46785740
I love how someone says this every time that shitty bingo thing gets re-posted, but nobody ever bothers to answer or explain what's wrong with it.
>>
>>46785792
>>46785704
Stigmatics SPECIFICALLY, EXPLICITLY get 3 dots to distribute in Supernatural Merits.
>>
>>46785815
Actual and factual!?!
>>
>>46785864
Yes.
>>
>>46785670
Well, of course they can. They're mages, written by their greatest champion.
>>
>>46785864
Yea, just as a matter of course. That's only during character creation, as far as i'm aware however . May also pop in just as a matter of fact.
>>
>>46785906
Proximi are like mage ghouls, pay attention.
>>
>>46785946
No thats sleepwalkers, you fucking dunce. Proximis are like Revenants not ghouls.
>>
>>46785946
They're still part of the mage line.
>>
>>46785992
Sleepwalkers can use spells now?
>>
>>46785992
Sleepwalkers are more like blood-bound mortals. Revenants dont really have a proper equivalent .
>>
>>46785946
>>46785993

The only thing that's relevant is that Proximi are definitely not mages, and have nowhere near the depth and breadth of their power and abilities, although do retain significant weaknesses.
>>
>>46786033
Any mortal magic user is a sleepwalker. So yes technically they can.
>>
>>46785993
>They're still part of the mage line.

So? Proximi are treated like wolf-blooded and ghouls with respect to their ability to acquire mortal supernatural merits.
>>
File: read.png (160 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
read.png
160 KB, 480x800
>>46786056
It has been mentioned multiple times that Proximi like Revenants. But here the open dev to look at. Hell I will even screen shot some of it in case your to lazy to open a page.
http://theonyxpath.com/supporting-cast-mage-the-awakening/
>>
>>46786074
But can they use supernal spells? Because ghouls can use disciplines
>>
>>46786139
Then that's wrong and the person who wrote it was a fucking idiot. Point me to the spellcasting sleepwalker, please.
>>
>>46785793

The whole point of this kind of bingo is that there's supposed to be common and specific options, so that it's a challenge while still being funny. The fact that the person's getting nearly the same bingo pattern every time makes it boring.

I get that the point is that these threads are bad, but it's so low effort.
>>
>>46785992
I know he said they aren't like ghouls, but I not knowing Revenants (and not caring really, don't often play vampire), I don't see why.

Sounds like Proximi get transformed by a certain type of magic (as ghouls get warped by the type of vampire that ghouls them), can take arcana, but aren't as good with it (as ghouls can take disciplines but aren't as good with them), and retain parts of the mortal template (as Ghouls do).

They seem pretty similar to ghouls, and sleepwalkers (unless they get a lot of changes in 2E) are nothing like ghouls.
>>
>>46786183
Actually, I've only posted my end pattern once. I do fairly routinely end up with everything, depending on which particular shitposter gets to the thread to defend the honor of Dave-sempai.

So there's that.
>>
>>46786156
All the people who are Sleepwalkers because they have a supernatural merit that actually gives them some cool power or another rather than the hyper bare-bones one, I guess?
>>
>>46786149
No. But in the link I posted above has some information about sleepwalkers.
While they can't cast sleeps they can help mages cast ritual spell faster for example.
The fact of the matter is we don't know exactly sleepwalkers have in 2E.
>>
>>46786216
Sleepwalkers don't have a shard of the abyss in their soul. They don't have powers.
>>
>>46786208
Ok, sorry.
Proximis are closer to Revenants because they are both beyond the point of no return. They are for like their "major splat" then they are human.
Proximis are also born and breed, not created like ghouls. They are in someways people who made it to the watchtower but did not sign their names on it.
>>
>>46786331
Ah, that makes sense. So they don't really retain any mortal nature, they are like magical homunculi, creatures morphed by magic. While ghouls could at some point go back to being mortal (even if they would hate it like a meth addict going cold turkey).

(Though the comparison is still a little off, since you can't turn off being a sleepwalker. It seems to be something you are just born with.)
>>
>>46786237
sleepwalker is a catch all term for every person how has some sort of innate supernatural ability.

But there may be some follow up merits for the sleepwalker merit to let them help mages better.
>>
>>46786393
What? No. That's stupid. You're stupid. Go suck a million dicks.
>>
>>46786372
Being a sleepwalker can be forced upon you.
For example a demon can grant a supernatural merit to a human, thus making him a sleepwalker.

But then again points for sleepwalkers neven going back to the lie. "What has been seen can't be unseen." Its a nice little bit of horror for mage.
>>
File: Idiocy at its Finest.gif (514 KB, 500x244) Image search: [Google]
Idiocy at its Finest.gif
514 KB, 500x244
>>46786436
>>
>>46786438
Horror for the people around them, not the actual Mages. It's not scary when it's no danger to you
>>
>>46786436
Yeah I don't know if something has changed, but originally sleepwalkers were a specific merit/minor template. Not a catch-all.

You specifically took a merit to represent someone who didn't cause paradox as hard, and didn't forget magic.
>>
>>46786454
It what you have done to others.
You took there happy Lie from them, exposed them to the greater world of darkness and monsters the lurk around every corner.
All because you couldn't handle it yourself.

Besides apart of mage horror is the damage you do to those close to you.
>>
>>46786469
Terminology evolution - anyone with supernatural abilities essentially gets sleepwalker merit for free.

Couldn't have vampires or other character types causing paradox, that might harm mage's supremacy
>>
>>46786469
Well I will direct you to the link on this post (>>46786139 ). Read up on how they changed sleepwalkers if you like.
>>
>>46786503
But they're not sleepwalkers. They're vampires, werewolves, the reborn, prometheans, purified, changelings.

It's not evolving terminology because a sleepwalker is a very specific thing that raises a mortal to the level of a major supernatural in one very specific aspect. Nothing more.
>>
>>46786503
Well that could be a RAW vs spirit ruling, since paradox was supposed to be caused by sleepers or plain mortals seeing magic, and vampires and werewolves definitely don't fall under that header. Same reason no one would try to argue a vampire or changeling should suffer lunacy.

(Though in typical 'we hate this game line' fashion, I'm pretty sure Prommie specifically says supernaturals suffer from disquiet... can't remember for sure though)
>>
>>46786533
>the reborn
>purified

Did someone read Immortals last night?
>>
>>46786546
Purified are my favourite kind of character to play, mostly because I'm a cunt and like to try and pretend to be whatever everyone else is.

Reborn is just an interesting concept that makes no actual difference on a mortals game.
>>
>>46786546
N-no, shut up. It isn't like I wish I could play an immortals game or anything, baka!
>>
>Purified would be the Mages of an Immortals game

fuckin hax spirit bullshit
>>
>>46786580
>>46786546
Which one are the reborn again?
Purified are the spirit immortals, and then blood-bathers are the slasher immortals... I can't remember reborn.
>>
>>46786635
Reborn are one of the minor NPC immortals in the final chapter.

Essentially they're humans who reincarnate when they die. They live normal lives and are reborn over and over, either because of spiritual preparations they make in life or because that's just a quirk of what they are. They have a power that lets them draw on their past lives and get bonus dots in a skill for the scene.

The last chapter of Immortals is fucking great
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-19-23-09-18.png (178 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-19-23-09-18.png
178 KB, 480x800
>>46786542
>>
>>46786670
I like that whole book. It is one of those great books that I just never get to do anything with. Unless I want to mess with players in a game to mess with their player knowledge (like when they thought they were chasing down a vampire, but it turned out to be a bat shifter).
>>
>>46786677
Lets see what the actual book ends up saying. A short dev blog that doesn't do a good job of explaining much of anything is not really going to help here.
>>
What if Purified aren't just created by dying on a Locus, those rituals are just the only ones people have mastered because loci and spirits are so commonplace?

How would a "Purified" who died on an opening to the Hedge, or an Avernian Gateway be?

What if there's an Obrimos out there killing sleepers in bizarre rituals on an Iris or Hallow, trying to make a Purified fueled by Mana instead of Essence.
>>
>>46786753
Sounds like a hook for a 2e mage game!
>>
>>46786753
>What if there's an Obrimos out there killing sleepers in bizarre rituals on an Iris or Hallow, trying to make a Purified fueled by Mana instead of Essence.

Some Obrimos simply call this a Tuesday.
>>
>>46785793
>I love how someone says this every time that shitty bingo thing gets re-posted, but nobody ever bothers to answer or explain what's wrong with it.
First off, most of the boxes are bad. They're dumb, and don't actually fit most threads.

The whole "Gayracula" thing is something that started, what, last week, two weeks ago? It's dumb.

"Going off topic" (or maybe "Dumb metashit") should be the free space--which generally in bingo cards for things like this is something that's a given.

Half these things are going to go away in a week. No one is going to talk about the Black Hand pdf.

Some of them are just stupid, like "It's a toolbox. Just do what you want." as if that was some negative thing.

No one has ever "unironically" posted about Mage supremacy. It's people who don't like Mage complaining about it and trying to stir up shit, and I would say that whoever made this BINGO card should know that, but they've got "Gayracula" on here as if that's some meme as old as the thread.

I've also never really seen the authors being all that apathetic, and Dave going "what" isn't really worth a space. Neither is "Random sad and pathetic AmyV post". Or even "that one guy who likes Beast".

But more than that, that isn't how BINGO as a game actually works. You don't get one BINGO card. The reason it works in pic related is because you're not playing with the same people in the same place. If you want an ACTUAL Bingo card for the thread, you need to randomize the squares (and everyone would need to have different cards). If you give the same people in the same place the same card, how the fuck would anyone win?

They're bad choices and that's not how BINGO works. Also, here's your Aspel post before I go forget the thread exists for another twelve hours.
>>
>>46786806
While riding a unicycle.
>>
>>46786753
Wouldn't the Avernian gateway Purified be the more boring of the two? Like, I died, and went to the underworld, and then came back... Huh. I mean it would still be weird, but it isn't as cray as going to the shadow.

Now ending up in the hedge, that is rough. Like, your soul falls into the thorns the first time and gets shredded on the journey, the strange and backwards rules of arcadia start to take hold, but if some gentry doesn't capture this strange thing... what happens with it? Do you come back with some weird emotional connection to everyone? Does death bloom around you once you come back as if the contract with 'dying' is bowing to your presence?

What if a gentry DOES take interest? Every time you die, they put your soul-thing in a cage in their space, like a trophy. Then occasionally they let you out, with the agreement that you bring them back something the next time you pass. Maybe it is a nonsensical trinket, maybe they want more like you, maybe they want someone that they lost before that they swore they would capture.
>>
File: Obrimos Unicycle.jpg (163 KB, 819x1036) Image search: [Google]
Obrimos Unicycle.jpg
163 KB, 819x1036
>>46786894
>>
>>46785941
I'm pretty sure they just happen during the same period you go from being an ordinary mortal to suddenly being able to see the Gears and gain your Stigmata.

>>46786825
Reminds me of how another board I frequent has a yearly tradition of making 'bongo' cards for E3, and last year someone finally got around to making a randomizer so everyone could have a unique card.

But, yeah, no, the random/unique thing doesn't apply at all in this case, because /cofdg/ is just a bunch of dumb nerds who wanna rant about dumb shit.

Honestly, if I were gonna make a bingo for these threads, I'd make "When is X coming out?" the free space, with the other shit being
>Mage Supremacy
>Gay Werewolves
>Hunters should be immune to Lunacy/the Lie
>Dev-post starts an argument
>Aspel posts a homebrew
>That one guy posts about his latest session in greentext format
>Fagness starts the thread
>Off-topic posts
>Someone confuses WoD and CofD
>Despair about the future of a line/splat
>Geist needs more books
>Monday Meeting Notes
>Hype-worthy Open Dev spoilers
>Usable, good homebrew
>Unified Cosmology
>Purified
>NEW BOOK RELEASE!
>VtM:Bloodlines
>One of the named posters(GaySkull, WoD Larp Fag or w/e) tells an interesting story
>Someone's confused about the metaplot
>Complaining about art
>Trying to port WoD to CofD 2e
>Someone bitches about Beast
>Arguments about pronouns/sexuality
>>
>>46787066
Fagness is a numeme and pretty lame. wodg is gay, no point in arguing that. bringing it up every thread wont last.
>>
>>46784265

Hey man, I'm just here for the chesp rent. I'd move back to San Diego if I could.

>>46784343
The only reason I tripfag is because people kept accusing other people of being me and also had me confused with some Werewolf fan on reddit.
>>
>>46784343
>>46784297
I don't understand how Aspel is offensive. And I don't think Camilla has ever *actually* posted in the thread.

>>46787130
You're also letting people who don't like you filter you.
Which is why I don't use a Tripcode
>>
>>46787325
Camilla has tripped before and admitted to posting. Aspel also posts some weird gross shit sometimes but he's not really "offensive", more annoying. They try to draw all the attention to themselves and of their homebrews, they ask for input and refuse to take it citing that the people who give it "missed the point.", they're just a grating person.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndGinZXoKE
This made me think of the Thousand Steel Teeth.
>>
>>46787337
"Weird gross shit"?
Also, I feel like you make a lot of assumptions there.
>>
>>46787363
As someone who has no idea who >>46787337 is describing, you are sounding pretty suspect right now.
>>
>>46787363
Weird gross shit like /ever/ talking about their awful ERP games.
>>
>>46787381
I already admitted I'm me :V

I've taken plenty of input in homebrews. I've also ignored plenty of it, and those people get pissy. And other people draw attention to me more than I draw it to myself. Case in point, the people who I was replying to in the first place (and the people who put me on BINGO card). I haven't even really been in the threads for the last two or three weeks.

I assume the "weird gross shit" is that I'm an 'adult' who's roleplayed sexual situations with other consenting adults. But I don't actually tend to bring that up often, other people do.
>>
Changelings who learn to use the Internet can often
make contact with their loved ones online, getting to know
them again under an assumed identity. Although often a
lengthy, difficult and frustrating process, this method is
also one of the most successful. A few lucky Lost manage
to regain friends, and sometimes even parents, spouses or
children in the guise of a stranger who slowly finds a place
in their lives.

>Zuckerberg is a Changeling
>>
>>46777313
You don't have to chronicle our fagness everytime, once is enough
>>
>>46787508
Fuck man, Aspel hasn't posted homebrew in forever, honestly(FINISH GEIST HB). He doesn't even haunt the threads nearly as often as he used to. Atamajakki has been here a lot more though.
>>
I like playing "Who is secretly scaredofshadows".
>>
>>46787924
You're talking to Aspel.
>>
>>46788042
Well do as the man say. Get back to Geist.
>>
>>46787924

I've been here just as often as I always have been, just with an old trip thrown on. Who did you think was posting >tfw Mummy every single fucking thread?

I'll take it off if it's bugging people, just the whole mistaken identity thing was bugging me.
>>
>>46787344
Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPQYbQJJYY
>>
>>46788054
I suppose I should. I keep putting it off because I expect a Geist 2e announcement right around the corner, but that's not happening until AT LEAST Gencon. And the game itself won't be out for another year or two after that.

Need a better idea for these
> Blessing: The Silent can often live up to their name. While they aren’t all quiet, they know how to keep out of the way. So long as she moves at half her speed, no one notices one of the Starved without a Wits+Composure roll.
> Blessing: The Torn are all about violence, whether it’s trying to stop it or causing it, and almost all of them are capable of bringing it about. Once per scene, the Bleeding One can inflame an injury that happened in the scene--whether she caused it herself or not--causing a relevant personal Tilt, most often Arm or Leg Wrack. Some use this to flee the scene, while others use it to gain the upper hand.
> Blessing: Disease and wasting are a part of the Stricken, and they can give a bit of that feeling away. Once per scene, the Stricken may touch a target and in doing so inflict the Sick Tilt. Each turn the penalty mounts, the target also takes one point of phantom damage.
> Blessing: Those who’ve crossed the Pale Threshold are in many ways hunters, whether it’s just seeking arcane knowledge and shamanistic insight or something more real. And by taking measure of someone--and an instant action’s worth of concentration--they can keep track of them for as long as they like, gaining the Direction Sense Merit focused towards their quarry.
> Blessing: Fortune favours the bold, and Lady Luck’s chosen ones are as bold as they can afford to be. Once per scene, one of the Lightning-Struck can cause something to be rerolled. If it’s the Forgotten’s roll or an ally’s, the reroll gains 9-Again, but if they want to jinx someone else, the reroll loses 10-Again.

Then again, I could scrap it. I've probably done enough to differentiate the Thresholds without it.
>>
I require MONSTERS. Tell me about your antagonists, beasties, assholes! I wanna know about the fucked up things your players have to deal with
>>
>>46788135

I've got a pair of Deceived - one for the Dancer, one for the Keeper - who fled East ages ago. Their Cult is a faux-Shaolin monastery that preaches a doctrine of utter submission to muscle memory, forsaking all thought.

Angry evil kung fu mummies.
>>
>>46788113
Maybe something to do with skills. Much like the werewolf lodges.

But personally I would like to see them have conditions similar to the House Conditions from the demon translation guide.
>>
>>46788155
Something to do with Skills is a bit too narrow for an X-splat, in my opinion. I'm trying to go a little lower than the Auspice Blessings. How are the House Conditions done?

I'm also still torn on "Ghost Kiths", or some sort of minor ability from the Geist.
>>
>>46788055
Honestly, your more bearable with the trip, because I don't think everyone with shit taste is you. Your taste isn't as bad when you're not a boogyman.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-39-13.png (360 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-39-13.png
360 KB, 480x800
>>46788182
It a flaw in the character that the can choose to overcome. For demon it shows how their house and rebellion torments them. But when push comes to shove they can use their house traits for their own advantage.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-39-23.png (384 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-39-23.png
384 KB, 480x800
>>46788217
>>
>>46788153
That's... Kind of awesome.
>>46788135
I made a horror that lures mages into it's domain to devour their mana. It finds their obsessions, crafts false mysteries that pertain to it, and has the labyrinth power. When it dies, it discorporates to spiders.
>>
>>46788153
Deceived?
>>
>>46788311

One of the antagonist groups in Mummy.

They're the same as the regular Arisen, but when the bosses of their Guild did the ritual to make themselves immortal the other Guildmasters betrayed them. So while they're still eternal god-slaves, they have their crazy former bosses living inside their heads. Theirs was the Guild of art and philosophy, so they get a little bit abstract.
>>
>>46788217
>>46788228
Hrm. I think I like it. The themes I have for the Thresholds are:
>Torn
Loudmouths and political activists who suffered and want change. Some are heroes, some are bullies. They're not all violent, but they tend to be at home with violence or at least violent rhetoric.
>Silent
Trying to make them less... sad. 1e basically has them continue to be depressing, while here my problem is that they feel too 'in-transition'. "They're the wallflower learning to be prom-king". It's not very useful. I really feel I need to rewrite them to better indulge in the Silence while not being mopey, as opposed to eternally trying to speak up.
>Stricken
Regal kings who feel like they can take anything. They're basically Ventrue if you play up the Resilience instead of Dominate. They fought the biggest killer of men and won. They were unconquered by the greatest conqueror.
>Prey
Mostly focusing on the self-sufficiency instead of the "what do the numbers mean!?" aspect. They're your spooky Gangrel type hobos and hippies, with a bit of Irakka "don't wait up for me" loner-but-not-alone stuff.
>Forgotten
Thrill-seekers and lucky dumbasses who jump into the unknown.

>>46788135
I had a plot lined up for a Hunter game that fell through where a Slasher based on Kuchisake-onna was hunting down the journal of Quincy Harker.
She wasn't stated using the Slasher template because I don't like that. She had two dots in the 2e Vampire Physical Disciplines, and could basically stun people when she asked "do you think I'm pretty?"
>>
>>46788344
Oh! The 'sixth' guild or some such, yea?
>>
>>46788419
Yeah. They basically don't have the possibility to fall to Ammut, but instead are basically meat-puppets for their tem'akh. They can never enter any spirit realms, or anything BUT the Material. POrtals are solid walls to them.

If they achieve their own form of Apotheosis, they basically end up slaves to Fate. They re-and-discorporate at random, and have little idea of what they do. But no temakh, and they're not hideously deformed anymore.
>>
Can Mages enter other people's Onierous? (or however it's spelled - astral lvl 1)
>>
>>46788419

Yup. The Arisen tell themselves that they're all dead, when actually they're still around and fucking pissed.
>>
>>46788531
Yeah. Mortals too. Dream travel merit.
>>
File: Sin-eater 2e chargen draft.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sin-eater 2e chargen draft.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Helps if I actually attach files. Here's the Sin-eater 2e template so far. I'm going to go... well, honestly I'm going to play video games.
>>
So I have a minor template of folks who tap past lives for skills in their current one.

How do I spin this into a Hunter conspiracy?
>>
>>46788632
Use the reborn template from immortals, since they've got one. Make it a minor conspiracy of demon hunters or whatever who come together from life to life for training in an out of the way temple, then get deployed into the world.

Make anyone able to be initiated into the group, but doing so shears off a point of integrity.
>>
>>46788632
If its a conspiracy, it at least deserves a series of merit-style abilities related to making use of those skills, or tapping into their power. If its just left at 'can tap into past lives to for skills' then it is barely conspiracy level.

Fluff wise, how do they cultivate this? Going through family trees to keep close track on who they were in the past, what skills they have? Rituals and runes to read into what their past lives think of the now? How does it all function?
>>
>>46788550
>Yeah. Mortals too. Dream travel merit.

Then what's special about what Changelings can do?
>>
>>46788850
They get it for free, and can do more than just travel.
>>
>>46785492
No, that's from the Free Council (especially in the 2e previews), and from what we learned in Dark Eras.
Before that, it was just speculation.
>>
Hey, can someone post the image with the culist/vampire/whatever players? You know, the "Thai Cuisine" one.
Can't find it on google, and apparently it's not on my HDD.
>>
so quick questions
i recently bought and played vampire:the masquerade-bloodlines which got me interested in world of darkness

what would be some good books to start for someone mainly interested in the vampire stuff ?

also, does it play any similar to d&d 3.5 or not ?
>>
>>46788850
>>46788550
Damn it. The Oneiros isn't dreams. The Oneiros is the astral realm of self. The unconscious and all that.
>>
>>46788946
I'd say start with NWoD Vampire just because it's easy, but if you're used to 3.5 you shouldn't have "too" much trouble with masquerade. And no, nothing like D&D. In pretty much all iterations it comes down to "You have a pool of dice equal to skill+attribute, roll to get successes"
>>
>>46788946
>what would be some good books to start for someone mainly interested in the vampire stuff ?

What parts of it did you like? There are two versions of Vampire out, and they are somewhat different.
They play on different themes.
Masquerade is all about the ancient conspiracies, and age-old mysteries coming to fruition.
Requiem is all about the personal horror, and the small-scale politics.

>also, does it play any similar to d&d 3.5 or not ?
Not at all. Neither mechanically nor thematically. Thankfully, they are rather simple (Requiem, which is part of nWoD/CofD, in particular is easy to learn.)
>>
>>46788999
>>46789011
>3.5
>hard
???

are there any torrents or do i have to buy ?
masquerade seemed more interesting to me

also, does it have a big roleplaying factor or not ?
>>
>>46788980
Mortals can get there, though. Dream and dream travel merit. As can a mage, quite easily.
>>
>>46789054
It's not a matter of "hard", it's just not really what most people would call a "good" system. Yes, there's torrents, in the Mega in the OP and elsewhere. Yes, roleplaying is a big factor, it plays heavilly into CoFD more I'd say if only just because you spend less time dealing with the kinda....janky rules for OWoD.
>>
>>46789103
alright thanks

i also have to agree, i liked 3.5 but the more books and different things one used the worse the balance got, despite the standard books not being to balanced either
>>
>>46789103
WoD rules aren't janky at all... You guys literally just keep saying that without justification for it at all.
>>
>>46789270
Janky isn't quite what I meant. But here, let me give an example. One attack requires like, three or four rolls, no? It's kinda...silly.
>>
>>46789242
Other way around, bro. 3e was at its worst balance level possible with core only and could only improve from there.
>>
>>46789293
It attack roll then damage roll.
Then i think the opponent rolls to dodge roll and then a roll to soak the damage. Am i right on this?
>>
>>46789318
I believe that's the case. It's just one example, it's not necessarily bad, but it's an old system and it shows. It is, at the best of times a bit intuitive and slow. But this comes from someone who will suck CoFD off all day long over how relatively simple the rules are without being useless.
>>
>>46789346
unintuitive, that is.
>>
So I am playing oWoD for the first time and from what I've seen generation is a pretty big boon. Is it easy to run a group with elders and new vampires together? I ask this because I'm playing as a 14th generation vampire with little skills outside of looking REALLY human and is ignorant to how the vampire Hierarchy(Convinced its all just a bit of hazing) and society works and the exact details of the Masquerade.

There are other players who are like 8th generation vampires who spend like four times my point in character creation. Will I still be able to keep up even if all of contributions are through RP?
>>
>>46789376
Sure. Just get yourself Temporis to 5 as soon as possible. Or make yourself a temporis like discipline since you're a thinblood.
>>
File: Thanks captcha.jpg (60 KB, 400x629) Image search: [Google]
Thanks captcha.jpg
60 KB, 400x629
>>46789376

No, I'm sorry you are fucked. :/

The GM should've either told the others not to play elders, or should've told you to put points in the generation background.

Pic unrelated, it's what I got when I tried to respond.
>>
>>46785906
I have to admit, I'd prefer gamelines to be written by people who really like those gamelines rather than people who don't much care. The developer for a line *should* really a champion for it 'cos if not him or her, then who?

>>46788155
Lodge blessings are a bit more varied than just stuff affecting skills; skill-based dice tricks are a good choice but of the sample Lodges in The Pack, the Garmir and Banshees give rather different skill-related bonuses while the Thebans and Erboru do their own thing entirely.
>>
>>46785906
>>46785670
Proximi could always have mortal psychic or magical merits.
>>
>>46789882
Author apathy. Check.
>>
>>46789936
>Talking about how people should love their game is apathy
Do... do you know what that word means, Anon?
>>
>>46789991
>Meh, he might fuck it up constantly, but he likes it, so that's okay. I guess.
>>
>>46790088
Whats DaveB fucked up?
>>
>>46790228
What hasn't he fucked up? Every product he's ever touched has turned into a 3.5e D&D wizard wankfest.
>>
>>46790240
Ah! I assume you have evidence for this?
>>
>>46790240
>Every product he's ever touched has turned into a 3.5e D&D wizard wankfest.
What could possibly have caused you to come to that conclusion?
>>
>>46790240
We going to need citations for this one.
>>
>>46790240
Thanks for this, anon. I haven't laughed this hard all day.
>>
In Requiem, if a vampire with no canine teeth is embraced, what happens? Lets assume he got punched in the mouth, or had terrible hygiene, or is really old and has just lost them, and is then embraced - does he grow new ones, or do you get a toothless vampire trying to gum the blood out of people?
>>
>>46790367
Considering that the canines mutate a lot during the Embrace, I assume they grow new ones.
>>
>>46790266
Of course he doesn't.
>>
>>46790240
Oh, thank God!!!
I was worried you went to some ditch and off yourself.
I'm so glad your here to spread your lies and propaganda.
>>
>>46790291

Some people don't like 2e's percived overall power creep, and they need a figure who seems responsible.
>>
File: 18444d2kg92f.jpg (148 KB, 900x1335) Image search: [Google]
18444d2kg92f.jpg
148 KB, 900x1335
I got a question! Vampire the Masquerade 20th Anniversary-related.

Me and my friends are going to try it out for the first time together... but a friend of mine asked (after reading the V20 pdf rulebook) whether it was possible to use blood in the middle of combat to heal wounds. The pdf says:

>A vampire may spend one blood point to heal one normal (bashing or lethal) health level of damage. Characters must be resting and relatively inactive for this healing to take place, though this recovery is rapid: One blood point per turn may be spent to heal one health level, though vampires of lower Generations may heal as many health levels per turn as they can spend blood points.

So... can it be done? When it says "resting", does it mean they have to be completely alone and meditating or some shit, or could they do it in the middle of a firefight as long as they just concentrated really hard and did nothing else during their turn but heal themselves?

HALP!
>>
Did the anon who was making a Demonpire based on the Songbird from Bioshock Infinite ever get back to us about it?
>>
>>46779369
Could go with Mortals, although AFAIK there technically aren't any rules for magic items - it's all GM fiat/plot.

... unless ... you could model it as an Ephemeral Entity tied to the book, that'd work. I know there's a Merit somewhere for having a working relationship with a Spirit.
>>
>>46791386
Except Dave has had nothing to do with the power levels of games that aren't Mage, which has had the smallest power increase?
>>
>>46791598
No, I didn't think anybody was that interested in it.
I statted both the Demon and the Strix up with what I know about Songbird in mind, but atm it's basically just a Demon possessed by a Potency 6 Strix whose Potency is being treated as 2 because of Synthesis, and I've only come up with a single unique power for it as of yet.
>BLOODHOWL
>Cost: 1 Aether, 1 Vitae
>Dice Pool: Power + Expression + Shadow Potency
>Dramatic: Sparrow's howl instead acts as a call to Angelic forces, straining his vocal chords. Take Aggravated damage equal to (Shadow Potency), and roll for Compromise at a -3 penalty.
>Failure: Sparrow lets out a pitiful shriek, which does nothing.
>Success: Sparrow lets out a blood-curdling howl, which does lethal damage equal to his successes, and applies the Deafened tilt, to anybody within (Shadow Potency*10) yards who takes damage in this way.
>Exceptional: Damaged targets apply the Stunned, instead.

It probably doesn't help that I never played Infinite, and most of my knowledge about Songbird is that it flies around screeching and acting as an guardian to Elizabeth.
>>
>>46791545
Huh. I had no idea oVampires didn't reflexively heal in combat like nVampires do.

I wouldn't qualify any combat situation as "resting and relatively inactive" unless you're uninvolved in the fight.
>>
>>46791971

When have facts actually stopped people from scapegoating? Besides, it's an effective trolling tactic, especially when you throw in a 3.5 reference.
>>
>>46792194
I dunno, I feel like referencing 3.5e D&D makes it too obvious.

And if you were gonna pick anyone to scapegoat it should be Matt McFarland, considering he was the mastermind between Demon (and Demons are absurdly OP in white-room scenarios, since the balancing factor behind their powers is "is this out-of-character for your normal-human identity", which white-room fights get to completely ignore), and Beast. Beasts are both crazy OP and generally loathed.
>>
>>46792079
This is the anon who asked. And aye, that's what I thought as well :\

But have no fear! I actually managed to find an answer in another of the V20 pdfs!

V20 Dark Ages says:
>A character may spend one blood point to reflexively heal one health level of bashing or lethal damage. Wounds seal. Bruises fade. Bones knit. Limbs regrow. Indeed, if the vampire spends enough blood to heal a wound in the turn it’s inflicted, the body never fully suffers the wound; the blood wells up and draws the broken body back together effortlessly.

So, I guess we'll be using that rule in our upcoming VtM games, since it sounds silly to me that vampires wouldn't be able to heal mid-combat. I mean, they can do all sorts of other stuff with diciplines and whatnot, so I found it odd that healing simple bashing and lethal damage was LOL NOPE IMPOSSIBLE.
>>
>>46792068
A specific set of musical notes also calls him.
>>
According to 2e rules, if a mage uses Active Mage Sight will it ping on another mage`s Peripheral MS ???
>>
Am I missing something or are there no drawbacks to being in Crinos form in W20, other than being a pissed off 9-foot tall monster? It certainly seems better overall than Forsaken's version.
>>
>>46792585
Yes
>>
>>46792826

Wait, Active pings Peripheral as well as Focused? Huh...

Well, that changes things a little.
>>
>>46792826
Nice! I assume there is a Prime Veiling spell to hide it though?
>>
>>46792263

No, see, invoking 3.5 always works. No matter how obvious it seems at bait, there will always be people to say "how DARE you!" or "3.5 wasn't THAT bad, guys..." and you're off to the races.
>>
>>46792903

It's a supernatural power you have to turn on, so it pings mages' Periphery.

This is, in function, no different to 1st ed where Mage Sight was the result of a spell and Scrutiny (1e "Focused") a task you could perform under that spell. As spells, Mage Sight triggers 1st ed mages' unseen senses.
>>
>>46793406
Are the Latin Order names (Alea Draconis, etc) still in the setting?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.