[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did your character learn to read? Who taught him/her?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Where did your character learn to read? Who taught him/her?
>>
>>46767637
A Catholic priest.

He's a Norse convert.
>>
My character is a cleric. Sort of a gimme.
>>
>>46767637
She learned from her father, who's basically a book-keeper/logistics lackey for the local lord.
>>
>>46767637
School. A teacher.
>>
>>46767637
A christian priest.

He's from argos.
>>
Not!Celt barbarian, he doesn't read. Can swing an axe like nobodies business, learned from father.
>>
A bard, can read in both latin and ogham scripts
>>
>>46767637
>reading
>not ugly killing
based 1 int and 1 cha.
>>
>>46767637
>CG Drow Thief

At home, from her adopted human father, though she was only basically literate from him. When she moved to Baldur's Gate, however, she became an avid reader, mostly because she couldn't go outside much and so didn't have much else to do. Whenever she burglarized a home she'd always make sure to steal a book or two in addition to the valuables.
>>
What the fuck is with faggots asking small, petty questions about people's characters on /tg/? Yesterday it was "what does you character wear" and "why does your character wear a cape", and months ago it was "what odd sleep habits does your character have". Who the fuck wants to know this? It's highly unlikely that these questions would ever come up in-game. Even if they did, anyone with a single scrap of creativity can come up with a short, concise answer that isn't terribly interesting in 5 seconds and there's just not enough substance in the questions for interesting, longwinded answers to be feasible. What's the fucking point?
>>
He can't read, he can barely speak common.

The bard is trying to help him though.
>>
>>46767637
As part of her priesthood training she was taught how to read and write the ninety eight different written languages and dialects of the region.
She is also versed in mathematics and legal writing of both Modern and Traditional Court and Legal Common.

She is also one of the few who can read the scrolls from the Throne of Fire and in time she'll be required to scribe the next scroll herself.

Through all this she has had several teachers, all full Priests from the region, all who have had the same formal education as she did.
Her tutor for Legal Common was a travelling scholar who was surprised how quickly she learned it. They had a brief romantic affair but her duties and the scholar's wanderlust led to their separation.

She was formally gifted the knowledge to read the scrolls by the Goddess, The Great Lady of Fire, to who's cult she is training in.
>>
Actually, it's one of the downtime things the bard and cleric are working with, as just one of many things they're attempting to turn the former-lab-experiment into an actual, genuine person.

Honestly, when my warlock bit it and my GM offered me this bit-part, I thought I was just gonna be the big, dumb muscle for a session. Five months later and I'm still feeling the feels, and coming back for more. Damnitall.
>>
>>46767637

My barbarian learned to read, in secret.

>grok son of krog
>krog son of grokk was barbarian King, but was actually never a barbarian..but a really dumb fighter.
>krog taught his son in secret for many years, teaching him "booksmarts" to never get cheated.

>lvl5 adventuring with friends.
>friends hand grok a note to give to tavern owner
Sounds good.itsatrap
>GROK READ NOTE FROM PUNY HUMAN
tavern owner, kill grok he stupid as fuck. We give 1k gold. Love. Traitor friends.
(Obviously not what the note read)
>GROK ATTACK PARTY IN RAGE OF TRAITORS.
GM out of game "you guys didn't realize he could read huh?"
Entire party..."nope"
>barbarian, unleashing rage with 2? Free rounds. Vs a sorcerer, a cleric, and a rogue.
Grok wins.

Turns out my party wanted me dead because they found a note that Grok was the name of the raiders boss and my friends are idiots.

Tonight they bring their new characters to the game and we get to continue the campaign.

Also serves them right because they could see on my character sheet I wrote knowledge reading. And feat: barbarian reading.
Plus anyone can see character sheets..they deserve it.
>>
Let's see

>Base 5e game
Character is a son of a Hobgoblin Warlord. So his dad taught him so he could keep records and plan logistics

>Zelda 5e game
Character is a Kokori who learned from The Great Deku Tree after finding a book on plants from the forest

>Shadowrun
Compulsory education
>>
>>46773350
Can the deku tree even read? I mean it's basically a corpse of his own kind..
>>
His parents, and then his master.
>>
>>46767637
Her father was the shaman for her tribe. Buncha barbarian nomads, right, but he made sure to bring her up proper. Taught her to read and write two languages. Even current in campaign, savage barbarian tribal still knows the most languages in the party.
>>
>>46767637
A pair of bookish Paladins.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.