[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most mathematically astounding display of unlikely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: thefuckyouthink.jpg (128 KB, 1419x798) Image search: [Google]
thefuckyouthink.jpg
128 KB, 1419x798
What's the most mathematically astounding display of unlikely probability you've witnessed during a session? I'll start

>be me, playing Agnor, level 5 halfling barbarian in dnd5e
>in some spooky cave looking for Dwarf king's missing daughter
>find a key which opens the door to some living quarters' of the cultists in the cave
>Agnor opens a door, the cultist who is sleeping in his bed within gets a nat 20 on his perception check and wakes up startled
>Agnor attempts to grapple the fucker and to ask where la princesa is
>doesn't work, takes a small fire bolt to the face, no big deal
>combat continues, agnor can't land a hit
>cultist gets a critical with another firebolt
>cultist's next turn he lands another critical with a firebolt
>DM is rolling to hit in front of us to show no bullshit
>cultist rolls another fucking critical with a third firebolt
>three crits back to back to back
>beefy barbarian almost dead from this masturbating cultist who wasn't happy about being disturbed
>use a Frenzy to cut the fucker up in a few slices

Most absurd shit i've seen since I started playing.
>>
>>46756195
I had a time in dark heresy where I failed literally every single roll I had for a 3 hour session, and failed more than half the following session. I missed every time I shot. Every time I opened my mouth to talked I just rambled like an idiot. Every skill test that involved any sort of labor I hurt myself because of how badly I rolled, and those that were mental I babbled like an idiot.

There is a reason I don't like using Roll20 anymore with my group.
>>
>>46756195
One time the entire six-person group showed up in the five minutes before the session, with their sheets and books ready, EXACTLY the right amount of snacks and beer, and enough free time to get through the entire planned session.

Never saw anything like it before that, or after for that matter.
>>
File: time to change dice.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
time to change dice.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>46756259
>>
>>46756195
Tau Gun Drone killing Chaos Obliterator in CC
>>
>>46756195
Once saw three guys roll the exact same random stats for their characters.

They decided it was fate, all changed their class to psion, and asked the DM to let them play as a hive-mind.

Thus began the adventures of THE SHARING and the dwarf cleric who followed them around and provided healing and occasional tanking as needed.
>>
File: giphy.gif (326 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
326 KB, 500x269
>>46756195
>Celebrating a birthday of one of our players. Someone bought everyone those big, red novelty dice that light up when you roll a 20
>Bard has been saying random shit and rolling to see what he gets, just because the die is neat
>DM is getting sick of his shit
>"Bardanon, next time you roll that die, whatever comes out of your mouth is going to be in character. I don't care what it is."
>Bard quiets down but still randomly tumbles the die just because
>Eventually we get ambushed by bandits
>A lot of bandits.
>Like, 20+ bandits. There's only five or six of us in the party
>"SO WHO WANTS WAFFLES?"
>Bard rolls a fucking nat20
>Bandits nod in agreement. Waffles would be pretty dope
>"Oh wait, no. That was just me joking."
>"Too late. The bandits demand waffles."
>cunningPlan.exe
>DM lets our ogre sub in his crafting skill for cooking at a penalty
>Nat20. It's basically mana from heaven smothered in butter and maple syrup
>Wizard rolls to poison the waffles without the bandits noticing
>Crit successes to both
>Everyone's chowing down except for the party (sans the monk because he wasn't at the table when the plan happened and he was being a twerp)
>My orc gets bored. Challenges the bandit lead to a duel. Worst comes to worst he keels over in the middle of combat anyway
>First round passes as normal. It's not really weighted either way yet
>Second round begins. Nat20. Behead the fucker right there
>The bandits all keel over from the poison in their food
>Success

We pulled so many crits out of our ass that session. That whole one-shot was nuts.
>>
>>46756368
I might not have made it clear but it was online. I restarted my browser and my computer during that session but it didn't change a thing. I'm convinced Roll20 hated that character and wanted her dead as fast as possible.
>>
Four nat ones in the span of ~15 rolls.
>Ranger botches an attack
>Cleric chucks her mace over an enemy's head by accident
>Enemy barb puts his greatsword half a foot into a tree
>Ranger goes to stab barb, stabs tree instead
>>
>>46756195
In the final rogue trader session with a buddy who was taking a year trip around the world. Start session , he's injured and need surgery but we're safe on the ship and we had an NPC surgeon and our missionary was assisting for +10.

First roll, crit fail , we all laugh to each other about how shit it would be if our heroic Arch Militant bodyguard died on the surgeon table, fate points the roll (1/2 fate points), crit fails again, laughing dies down DM rolls on the injury table, gets massive internal hemorrhaging which is the 2nd worst one behind straight up dying, since its a 1 in 10 chance as we play it DM says "just dont roll 0 on a d10 and you'll be patched up" , rolls a 0 , immediately fate points and rolls again , we all go silent ....... rolls another 0 , the entire table is crying with laughhter and luckily the system is great and we can burn a fate point to auto pass a role but jesus , it was just the worst string of rolls I have ever scene
>>
>>46756475
That sounds amazing.
>>
>>46756195
GM TPKing us with 6 nat20's in a row. Rolled openly.
>>
>playing shadowrun 4th edd
>high powered game
>ambushing an aztechnology district mannager on a raised overpass.
>hacker raises police baracades and crashes lead car.
>gun bunny hops out and lets loose a law at the rear car
>gets a solid hit
>dm grabs everyones dice
>rolls 40 d6 to soak
>20 ones and not a single hit.
>critical botch
>van explodes taking 3 cybered up street samari with it
>high fives all around.
>dm quietly calculates the probability of that shit happening.

i forget what he ended up saying it was but it was absolutely stupid to one.
>>
>>46756195
I had cast Detect Magic to observe the interaction of divine energy with Far Realm fog that had a corrupting effect on everything (including magic) that had been introduced to it so far. I made a Sanity check, and failed it with a roll of 5. Luckily, I had the Lucky feat on me.
Used lucky - got 5. Used second luck point - got 2. Used third luck point - 5. I end up using a custom spell the dm gave me, which resulted in everyone nearby having to roll sanity.
The rolls they got included two 5's, and another 2, in addition to one person making the save with i think an 11.

So, basically, the dice were fucking rigged or some shit. Fuck you, roll20.
>>
>>46756698
>rolls a 0
Oh really? A 0? That's what he rolled? Really?
>>
>>46756493
>poisoning waffles
Literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>46757732
It's Japanese dice, they are d10, but they go from blank face (0) to 9.

I'm sure that's what he meant.
>>
File: Sachi.png (2 MB, 1736x1170) Image search: [Google]
Sachi.png
2 MB, 1736x1170
My latest character (Ryuutama) is one big dumb statistical anomaly. First session, first roll to climb the tree to look around - critfail. Out of 5 rounds in first combat our party had he rolled 3 critfails. Every his attempt to climb anything, whether up or down, has resulted in rolling 2 or 3 on 2d10 (lately it was mostly 3, since gods of dice fuckery noticed that rolling 2 gives the whole party fumble points). I'm not even talking about him routinely fucking up travel checks, that's basically a mundane occurence at this point.
It's also not bias - i DO sometimes roll high... when it's trivial stuff.
At least it's not one of my previous characters who managed to roll 5 nat1s in a row.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.