[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about those glorious times /tg/, I was not around back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: Warhammer 40.000 Rogue Trader.jpg (53 KB, 400x417) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer 40.000 Rogue Trader.jpg
53 KB, 400x417
Tell me about those glorious times /tg/, I was not around back then. How was it like? Are there any stories worthy to be passed down?
>>
>>46755511

You know the faggot bullshit 30k blood angels can do with assault cannons? EVERYBODY did that shit back then.
>>
>>46755511
Anyone else remember Space marine roundhouse kicks?
>>
>>46755570
NEEDLE SNIPER RIFLE
>>
>>46755511
just grab a pdf of rogue trader and play out the battle at the farm

it's pretty fun
>>
File: KillIt.jpg (74 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
KillIt.jpg
74 KB, 250x250
>>46755570
>EVERYBODY did that shit

In the day, bits sales were considered a key source of revenue. GW was happy to profit from sales of do-it-yourself models players could buy and construct bit-by-bit from Bits Wagon purchases all mixed up in a ziploc baggie because pewter bits were sold BY THE GRAM.

That's right - Citadel sales were based on ye olde supply-and-demand system. They - and everybody else - somehow managed to stay profitable on the moderate margins they garnered giving the people what they wanted.

Then Citadel bought out GW so they could take "the market" out of the equation and name their own prices. Under this new system, they slashed overheads to the bone and passed the savings on to their beloved serial customers.

Haha. j/k: They made insane short-term profits (the only kind that matter to profiteers) and fuck everyone else - just as they teach in college these days - "Not Bad People - Good Business!"

[swigs geritol] Where was I? Oh, yeah -

If I wanted a Cyclone missile launcher on my Assault cannon Termi, I just bodged one on there and my opponent would "do-ho-ho" and counter it with an equally absurd-but-kinda-cool-looking kitbash model in his army next time. That's "how it was like." Today's young whipper-snappers only think it sounds crazy because Kirby & Co have priced The Hobby so far into the tardosphere, an army is considered an "investment" now. tl;dr:

We went from,
GW sells us what we want, to
GW tells us what we want.

They made bank on the Worst Generation not noticing the ruse.
Now get offa my lawn ...
>>
>>46757115
>Bits Wagon

Ah, those were good times. You could go into their catalogue and listed under the kit were all the individual pieces that made it up. Wanted Yarrick's power claw? Order just the claw! Have a hankering for 5 Killa Kan buzz saw arms? Done! What's more, they would throw in a baggie of whatever they had laying around. I've still got a pile of pewter dreadnaught bits in my box from back then. I miss the bits orders....
>>
>>46757391
>those order lists in the back of WD
>the collectors section on the site
>all those little bitz like metal mounts, familiars, little dragons and barrel etc

all gone
>>
It sounded like heaven....
>>
>>46755511
It was shit. The rules were overcomplicated as fuck and the fluff was just as bad as it is today.
>>
File: chaos_bitz_large.jpg (98 KB, 1280x1008) Image search: [Google]
chaos_bitz_large.jpg
98 KB, 1280x1008
>>46757391
>Ah, those were good times. You could go into their catalogue and listed under the kit were all the individual pieces that made it up. Wanted Yarrick's power claw? Order just the claw! Have a hankering for 5 Killa Kan buzz saw arms? Done! What's more, they would throw in a baggie of whatever they had laying around. I've still got a pile of pewter dreadnaught bits in my box from back then. I miss the bits orders....

Me too.
>>
>>46755511
Does anyone have 3rd edition rulebook pdf, I need it bad.
>>
If you didn't make a hover tank out of a deodorant container don't talk to me about old school.

I still have much of my old lead. I hate what GW has become. I love what it once was.
>>
File: hector_and_johnny.jpg (179 KB, 1800x642) Image search: [Google]
hector_and_johnny.jpg
179 KB, 1800x642
>>46760740
>Does anyone have 3rd edition rulebook pdf, I need it bad.

The one with no index? Yeah, that was dumb. I don't have an electronic copy, but for some reason I have all the codices in PDF.

>>46760800
>I still have much of my old lead.

Much of my old lead is in my army.
>>
>>46760954
>but for some reason I have all the codices in PDF.
Odd that there is no 3rd edition rulebook online. Not in torrents or anything. Trying to figure out how to assing tithe grades so 3rd RB would be a great help.
>>
>>46760516

Whose dick do I have to suck to get some 2E plastic chainswords that don't have a hand on them so I can glue them onto normal marines?
>>
File: 2nd_edition_close_combat_sprue.jpg (258 KB, 1112x1002) Image search: [Google]
2nd_edition_close_combat_sprue.jpg
258 KB, 1112x1002
>>46761705
>Whose dick do I have to suck to get some 2E plastic chainswords that don't have a hand on them so I can glue them onto normal marines?

I'm sorry, Mr. Burns, but I don't go in for those kind of back-door shenanigans.
>>
>>46755511
Rogue Trader? When the newly described Grey Knights were using the random psi powers table? When a Harlequin Solitaire could clear the table alone? When Rhinos were three for $11? When any dude with rank could take a Vortex Grenade? When everyone else could take Virus Grenades? (Watching a board clear due to one volley of Virus Grenades is awesome in a ridiculous kind of way.)

Or maybe late RT, when one squad of Swooping Hawks could clear a trench full of dudes *in the movement phase.* When Tyranids still meant "Zoats and some new bullshit". IG armies could bring a unit of beastmen, a unit of penal troopers with blast collars, or both.

Lots of silly back then. Very much why the old fogies of 40k get misty-eyed about a game that no longer exists.
>>
File: metal_beastman_trio.jpg (133 KB, 1271x681) Image search: [Google]
metal_beastman_trio.jpg
133 KB, 1271x681
>>46762146
>IG armies could bring a unit of beastmen

>Beastman bad!
>Bad Beastman! Emperor no like!
>Beastman dirty!
>Beastman take heads for Emperor! Spill blood for Emperor!
>Beastman say sorry...
>>
File: archer_hey_phrasing.png (320 KB, 490x489) Image search: [Google]
archer_hey_phrasing.png
320 KB, 490x489
>>46761051
>assing tithe grades
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.