[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say one day you come home and find that there's a new door
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1352134765592.jpg (180 KB, 929x860) Image search: [Google]
1352134765592.jpg
180 KB, 929x860
Say one day you come home and find that there's a new door in your bedroom that leads to an apartment in the middle of a fantasy world. In the second apartment is a note saying the apartment is in your name and the connection will follow you as long as you pay the rent (a nominal fee in gold).

What would you do with this portal?

I'll try to preemptively answer some questions I know will be asked
>The common species don't have access to magic
>There are however magic substances, so alchemy works
>The EM constants are slightly skewed; advanced electronics won't work
>>Or rather, recalibrating a computer to operate correctly is possible but you can't take your laptop in without breaking it
>There are no humans, but there are elves
>Society is on the cusp of the renaissance era, varying from region to region
>There are other modern earth people with similar apartments scattered across the world
>It seems to just be a money making venture on the part of your absentee landlord
>You speak the language and your antibodies are mostly transferable to the new biosphere
>>
>>46752430
I would explore the land on the other side, and publish the stories about that in a best selling novel on my own world side, as a way to fuel further exploration of this fantasy world on the other side.,
>>
File: 1413320023962.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
1413320023962.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1414
look for a job i guess if i want to keep the place. If the rent is payed in gold then i can also sell some and pay my rent in this world too.

explore the city and surrounding areas a bit. live life in fantasy land while still keeping in touch with family in real world.
>>
>>46752430
>Write down a lot of the shit that was invented during the renaissance era
>Take it with me into this new world
>Become this world's Leonardo Da Vinci of inventions
>???
>Profit
>>
First things first, I would definitely move my actual bedroom out of this room, and fortify it the best I could with my wages. Don't want any surprises coming through while I'm absent.

Besides that, I would do everything I could to keep it open; taking the deal at face value, it's like a portal to another world without any of the bullshit you usually find in these sort of situations; the fact I can come and go at will means I don't have to choose between elves and The Internet, and I won't even need to force my uncrippled crippled little brother to give up being able to walk!

My next course of action would be to find a way to get some sort of gold. The biggest hurdle would be balancing a fantasy world job and a real world job, so some way to combine the two would be best. The problem is, I don't think taking fantasy gold back to the real world would be viable, at least not in the long run; exchanging it for real world bucks would probably tank the gold value, especially if the other human visitors decide to do that. Speaking of which, that would be the next thing I do, seek out the other modern humans in Alfheimr or wherever this is. See if we can get a facebook group or something set up.

So for other questions;

>How do the elves see these human visitors overall? Are they okay with these roundear immigrants, or are they barely containing their contempt because they are a form of income and/or labor in the form of these apartments?

>How restrictive is elf society about creating these portals? Did my landlord have to jump through a lot of hoops to do this? If so, they might have a lot riding on me making myself useful.

>I can go through the portal just fine, but how about people from this world to mine? Can I bring an elf over to see a movie? Are the elf repo men going to repossess my (non-electronic) goods when I'm late for payments?
>>
>>46753224
You very much overestimate the impact youd have on gold value. Also, the landlord isnt an elf, the portal is magic which is something elves cant do.

As for perceptions of you, the world is a strange place with many non elven races. Go to dwarven lands and you can pass as an elf, in elven lands pass as a defect or a halfelfling or something. Uts going to vary too much to give an answer on how youll be perceiced, but there arent enough other humans that itll become common knowledge in the fantasy world.

Oh, and theres a failsafe that should you lose control of the portal, itll be severed, leaving whoever on whichever side.

Hows that for answers?
>>
>>46753110
But you have no credibility
>>
>>46754740
Start with small inventions to establish credibility and then move to bigger and bigger projects.
>>
File: 1. Draco familiaris sm..jpg (633 KB, 720x551) Image search: [Google]
1. Draco familiaris sm..jpg
633 KB, 720x551
>>46752430
Well, if this is a fantasy world, then it is probably inhabited by fantastic creatures. I would spend my time finding these strange and fascinating creatures, hunting them down, and bringing them to science. Even a goblin or giant insect would be profitable.My nominal gold fee would easily be payed off through exploring or simply bringing actual gold from the real world.
>>
>>46756385
This would expose you and your portal to the world, most likely leading to you losing control of it
>>
>>46752430
>You speak the language and your antibodies are mostly transferable to the new biosphere
>mostly transferable
That's plague talk, damn Nurgalite.
>>
I'd tell the government like a responsible citizen.
>>
>>46752430
So assuming I can pick up a job on either side, I've got one of three options.

>1. Screw this up so hard I get cut in half trying to cross through the portal the moment I lose control of it - which is in less than a week.
>2. End up flopping about aimlessly in dead-end work for the rest of my days, with no new drives or ambitions coming to replace the ones I've already exhausted.
>3. End up growing into a better person by making several quirky new friends on the other side, becoming a productive member of the fantasy society, and eventually even forgetting I ever came from Earth.
>>
File: Bowie.gif (1 MB, 257x200) Image search: [Google]
Bowie.gif
1 MB, 257x200
>>46756709
>>
>>46752430

I go le-happy merchant and sell exotic goods like ballpoint pens and hard hats to the fantasy people, use it to by magical stuff, and sell said magical stuff back in Mundania.

This is gonna end in some sort of political fallout when one of the other apartment people eventually tattles on da Gov. and things get into GATE-level shit, but until then, I can be a profiteer!
>>
Honestly? Ide probably just leave earth all together.

I have a good bit of biology knowledge so i could probably and easily revolutionise allot of their sanitation and medical sciences. Alchemy in regards to magic would be fun to play with as well.

Its not like earth has anything to really offer, apart from a few modern conveniences that could be easily replicated with magic.
>>
>>46757400
B-b-but how will you shit post on the internet?
>>
>>46752430
>there are no humans
>There are other modern earth people
Make up your fucking mind.
>>
>>46752430
I would buy quality steel blades here on earth and sell them relatively cheaply in the fantasy world, then move on to other more profitable ventures.
>>
>>46753787

Fair enough.

Well, I'd probably do something along the lines of >>46757176 and make my fortune selling knicknacks back and forth. Just like how elves are known for their mythril, and dwarves for their iron, humans will be known in this land for their master craftsmanship of plastic.
>>
I shall give this one bump
>>
>>46752430
I would call ghost busters.
>>
>>46752430
Start selling items form one world in the other and vice versa, eventually lead a massive trade empire on both worlds.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.