[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monster hunters ho!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Hunter.jpg (205 KB, 900x1273) Image search: [Google]
Hunter.jpg
205 KB, 900x1273
Hello /tg/

Bare with me for a second, i'm gonna GM a campaign with Pathfinder, but I don't really feel like the system is good for what I want to do.

You see, i always found Pathfinder (and D&D) a system that fares relatively poor in giving the players options to either avoid combat or make it easier with strategy and cunning.
Generally, the greatest exaple of strategy is to try and get he option that gives you the biggest bonus so that ou can beat the monster's AC.

So I am tryng to come up with a new system that allows a more strategic take to battle.

First of all, in my campaign, monsters and the like will be somewhat rare (the main enemies will either be humans or humanoids) but generally a much highet threat for the party, with higher CR.
But, my idea is to give each monster some kind of weakeness that the party can exploit to win by studyng the enemy, find documents about it, laying traps and basically preparing to win the fight with the least amount of combat possible, since assaulting a creature head on would most likely end up in death or severe wounds.

Another point is kitting every monster with some kind of weak points. Part of the body that, if stricken, allow a character to bypass DR or score an automatic critical hit (i.e. when fighting a Wyvern, hitting the soft belly instead of the scaly back would bybìpass DR, while trying to land a difficult shot at the eye might be an insta-crit)

what are other good idea i could use to implement this?

bear in mind that for this kind of fights, I want them to fast and brutal, where recklessness almost always leads to unfortunate outcomes.

Also may or may not be an idea i came up with to teach my murderhobo players the virtues of patience and safety
>>
>>46749557
Try The Witcher? I mean there is a quite decent tabletop RPG for that, created in '01. All the combat and magic rules were fan-translated
>>
Just play something other than dnd/pathfinder, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>46751489
Playing something else is not an option.

i want to try GMing pathfinder
>>
>>46751586
>I want to GM something that is not Pathfinder
>i want to try GMing pathfinder
Get your story straight.
>>
>>46752491
I don't want to GM something that is not pathfinder

I just want to implement some things in pathfinder to try and get what i want

You're not being very helpful
>>
>>46752514
Not him but Pathfinder isn't made for that kind of things, also it would bloat an already too scattered system.
Also all of what you say you want is featured in a lot of other games, like Runequest 6.
>>
>>46752514
And what you want is something that Pathfinder, by design, does not support.
These "some things" you want to implement amount to breaking PF's wobbly spine in an attempt to make it bend over backwards, twisting its torso by 180 degrees for good measure.
>>
>>46749557
>Also may or may not be an idea i came up with to teach my murderhobo players the virtues of patience and safety

While that kind of campaign could be cool, it sounds like it won't be very fun for your current players.
Some people don't want to game by planning everything out in high intensity detail and focusing more on doing research than on fighting. Don't force your group into something that won't be fun for them.
>>
File: 1377367256601.jpg (76 KB, 831x445) Image search: [Google]
1377367256601.jpg
76 KB, 831x445
>>46749557
>>
>>46753044
It's not dnd, it's pathfinder :^)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.