[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recurring character traits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1455177266070.jpg (17 KB, 427x358) Image search: [Google]
1455177266070.jpg
17 KB, 427x358
Do you dudes have any traits or characteristics that appear over multiple characters?

In terms of design I like to shoehorn prosthetic limbs wherever I can. Also I like to have an obscured face but that's just because we draw our characters and I really hate drawing faces
>>
>>46745509
I always give my character's last names that are references to other media, sometimes things as obscure as the authors of fictional books in video games. The last elf wizard I played had the last name Direnni. Nobody got the reference. Perfect.
>>
Is 'trap' a recurring character trait?
>>
>>46745509
Every single one of my characters has the same voice actor :^)
>>
All of my characters have an aversion to water. They're either some fire based magic user, clad in very heavy armor, or are just straight up hydrophobic, water and I don't mix.
>>
File: drink the pain away.gif (1009 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
drink the pain away.gif
1009 KB, 500x280
>>46745509
I almost never make characters who deliberately go out looking for adventure or glory. Almost all of them would be perfectly content living a comfortable mundane life as a shop-keeper or something.

>Playing a mage, she just wants to graduate magic school and become a teacher... part of becoming a teacher at thsi particular magic school involves having a resume with prestigious achievements on it.

>Play orc, get kidnapped, forced to fight as gladiator slave for years, wins freedom, has no applicable skills except killing things and no money to learn anything else, signs on with adventurer group to get the money to start a fighting school/guild.

>Play street-urchin tiefling character. Doesn't even like stealing, just does it because starving sucks. Sign on with the rest of the party because it feels like "honest" work and they're willing to overlook his race.

>Play witch character, mentor gets involved with bad people in order to get funding for her research, goes missing. Join up with the rest of the party because they're bounty hunters hunting criminals and it's the only way I'll ever get a lead. Literally just want to continue learning magic in order to make things that can help people. No interest in fighting, no stomach for it. Not gonna let gonna abandon sensei though.

>Play blacksmith. War happens. Asshole lord taxes starving my family. Keeps demanding I make more weapons for his troops for free. Can't keep up, get accused for treason. Guess I'm gonna armor up, smuggle my family out, and go join the rest of the players over there with the Rebellion.

Life is suffering. All my characters ever want is a "normal" life.
>>
Completely unintentionally, a lot of my characters seem to develop a mentality of restraint. It's currently spanning 4 characters.

One is because of magic, one is because they're destructive and it's a social setting, one is because of a violent poltergeist and last one is because he's the backup plan to our main damage dealer going all in.
>>
>>46745509
I'm rather lawful good IRL so even though I tend to play chaotic good and neutral primarily they invariably end up having a strong lawful good bent. Even when I play evil characters they're usually well mannered and still help people. I think I'm possessed by a paladin spirit or something.

Other than that here are very common traits among my characters:

Tall and black haired (after myself)
Irreligious or only give lipservice (I'm entirely non spiritual IRL so I feel inadequate trying to RP faith)
Have a penchant for tanking (It's in my nature IRL)
High con or toughness regardless of their class/career/profession
Themed (In the sense that I theme their outfits and the cosmetic aspect to their spells, or choose a certain element or school and stick with that)
Very often I go for graft, gene mods, or physical alterations if possible and permissable
Love playing mutants
Snakes and snake themes
Generous/Charitable
Very often have weird or aberrant abilities regardless of class
Always feel compelled to go out of way to save innocents even if it's a huge inconvenience for the party and will often choose spending a good length of time rescuing the defenseless for no reward when loot can be had elsewhere (again in my nature)

My characters are heavily influenced by how I'm like as a person but I always try to give them the most unique and original spins I can to spice things up game to gain.
>>
I realized all my characters are either estranged by their fathers or are the estranging father.
>>
If they are not bordeline evil or Machiavellian, they are tormented knights in sour armour at best.
>>
A combination of >>46746135 and eventually becoming a cripple.
>Eldest son of lesser knight, he lost most use in one leg when his horse broke its leg on a rocky mountain trail and collapsed with the leg under it. Unable to live up to his father's expectations, he becomes a mage and accomplished researched, with a walking stick with offensive runes carved into it.

>Hundred-year-old Druid, slowly losing his mind as he spends more and more time in an animal form and becoming more like the mountain cat he takes the form as. Useless in social situations.

My most recent is an elven blacksmith and mage, whose leg was crushed in a collapsing building during an earthquake, now she has to get used to a running blade while feeling less of a person because of the missing limb.
>>
>>46745509
Weapon fetishism. Like, seriously.
>>
>>46745509
Intelligent characters.
I just can't play a dumbass convincingly, it hurts my soul.
Closest I got was a joke character who was a literal troll.
>>
>>46746915
>I feel inadequate trying to RP faith
I actually respect that attitude and wouldn't mind it being more wide-spread. That said, it's actually rather easy. In a fantasy setting it can be as little as verbally thanking a deity when something goes your way, or offering up an appropriate sacrifice at a holy site. Requesting aid from the deity if something is about to go wrong. The sort.

Unless you want to make a big deal out of it, in which case you'd be best off studying pentacostalism. They have those classic "fire and brimstone" preachers, as well as snake handling.

They let themselves be bitten by (usually milked) venomous snakes to show the strength of their conviction.
>>
>>46747373
That sounds interesting actually.

Believe it or not in 5 or so years I've never actually played a paladin or a cleric.

I can come up with very reasonable motivations for fighters, barbarians, warlocks, wizards, sorcerers yada yada but I might look into faithful people's relationship with their gods to gain a better idea of what a good holy motivation for a character could be.
>>
>>46745509
All my characters drink heavily. Just like me.
>>
I honestly don't know if I have a really consistent trait I latch onto. I've really tried looking back through 15+ years of memories and I don't think I can identify a common thread that really stands up to scrutiny.

The closest I can be sure of is there's several clerics. I like clerics.
>>
>>46745509

All of my characters end up lying or obfuscating the truth, usually pretty badly.
It's guaranteed that all of my characters will end up the party leaders and schemers. Not that I can't make characters who aren't, but if that's the case, the group has no cohesion or direction.
And absolutely all my characters prefer to avoid doing things that risk their lives. If it looks like they're going to die, they run away.
>>
>>46745509
My characters tend to be softies. Even the ones who are dangerously unstable don't attack people they regard as 'nice' as a rule.

If they are stable then they're either a pretty standard Knight in Shining Armor or that's the kind of person they want to become. Even my street-level NEET dwarf in Shadowrun wants to be a hero some day. He just needs to be able to afford it.
>>
>>46745509
Yeah, I always make the ugliest motherfucker ever. I don't even know why I do it.
>>
They always despise one of the party members for one reason or the other.
>>
>>46747419
Oh, I believe it. I'm a religious and I've not played clerics or paladins in... ten years? I found that the other players I seem to attract expect "fire and brimstone" when I'd rather kill them with kindness and quote the Eight Beatitudes as I help the communities I come across.
>>
Most of my current characters are knightly warriors named after knights of the round table

Knights are my fetish
>>
>>46745509
All my characters are white. Before you judge there's a good reason.
>pretty good at art but lack of practice atrophied my talent during school years
>can draw faces but if i make anything other than obvious caucasian face attributes it ends up looking wonky and shitty
>no matter what i do can't get african, indian, asian, etc face attributes and proportions not to look monstrous
>once tried making a bald white guy then just coloring him in chocolate but that just makes it worse
>only successful non-white was when i stopped cowboy bebop during the mushroom episode and screencapped the female black bounty hunter and attempted to copy it
>still looks shitty but better than if i was left to my own devices with no reference

I can't make anything other than missile tits or mature saggers look good either but i don't consider that a flaw.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.