[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fate Core? Do you love it, do you hate it? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Otto Von Bismarck.png (992 KB, 1280x798) Image search: [Google]
Otto Von Bismarck.png
992 KB, 1280x798
Fate Core? Do you love it, do you hate it?

Why?
>>
>>46736708
>master diplomat and statesman
>LET'S HAVE HIM WAVING A SWORD IN FRONT OF A TATTERED FLAG
>>
>>46736766
this.
Bismark is such an incredible historic figure.
Let's not cheapen his awesome image.
>>
File: Code of Nine.jpg (686 KB, 1742x2000) Image search: [Google]
Code of Nine.jpg
686 KB, 1742x2000
>>46736766
>>46737014
Have another image as consolation for poor Otto.

Otherwise, any on-topic comments?
>>
>>46737719
On topic of the picture, it's a good game, evokes the period's feel much better than eu or ck imo.
>>
>>46736708
The quality of Fate Core depends largely on the sort of game you're playing. There's a reason why the book suggests running all these premade settings: if you and your group love Star Wars and do a Star Wars campaign, you all 'get' it off the bat. You don't need extensive and exhaustive mechanical tweaks to underpin each thing you'll do in the game and you don't need to do so much committee-style discussion in your campaign/character creation session.

An original setting has less that's predefined, which means a lot more groundwork at every stage to cement everything.

Fate Accelerated is also pretty good, and is a lot more foolproof for people new to the system's ideas or execution.
>>
>>46737874
Interesting, thanks. Do you think Fate would work well for a more "grounded" setting as opposed to pulp, something akin to "14th century Europe-but-not"?
>>
>>46737948
I can't think of any reason why it couldn't.
>>
>>46736708
Fate is great.

It's different. People who have always played DnD, Gurps, Shadowrun, Traveller, and consider Savage Worlds a daring innovation will be in trouble with Fate. Newbs won't. Fate characters aren't sheets filled with tables, lists, and numbers. They are their aspects first and foremost, and this is what matters to the dice.

/tg/ seems to like talking about Fate. I have only met 3 or 4 people here who have actually played it like me.

I strongly advise playing FAE which is the small and easy version. It does everything anybody would ever need and expands into more complex mechanics as needed with time. But before every player is comfortable with creating an advantage as an action to stack and with invoking aspects against their own character for Fate points I wouldn't get into more complex rules.

Fate is not a freeform game like BRP that you call when you want something tricky resolved. Fate's mechanics govern every action, no matter how mundane. If it has stakes, roll for it. If it doesn't, skip it. In Fate being a miserable bastard barely holding on when shopping for a sword and rations gets you the points to later in the dungeon be the superior combatant, you can't just be one without the other.
>>
Can Fate be played in a somewhat "immersion"-facing fashion? I value being able to get into character. Not necessary 100% of the time, just something I value that makes things feel more "real".
>>
Fate is good, but the writers are completely pozzed out with tranny genderqueer non-binary pronouns.
>>
>>46736708
>Do you love it, do you hate it?
Love it.

>Why?
Because a large number of ideas I have for characters, situations, and campaigns either don't stat well in more detail-oriented systems or are a pain in the ass to piece together. In Fate, though, I can just pick a certain aspect or skill which will cover what I have in mind.

I actually preferred some older versions of Fate, where you named the skill you had in mind. A character with Sword & Shield, Herbalism, White Magic, and Arcane Study? Sure, not a problem at all for the system.

It does depend a large part on the players, though. You want players who are willing to go out on a limb, willing to do a bit of description and narration of their own, and can accept that they aren't playing D&D for a bit. The biggest concerns I've seen with Fate Core are people expecting it to be just a standard D&D campaign and ending up disappointed as a result.
>>
>>46740521
>I actually preferred some older versions of Fate, where you named the skill you had in mind
It still sort of does that, it's just also contingent on the group agreeing the skill exists. It's supposed to be part of the game creation process.

>willing to do a bit of description and narration of their own
100% crucial. In one campaign a friend of mine wanted to be a great driver with a great car, proficient at stunt driving--all that jazz. The archetypal 'it's his baby' sort of thing, it was practically his trademark. He had chase scenes and freeway action sequences in mind making the character, and we both had a lot of fun coming up with his car, and he even had a bad-ass reference shot for it--something like pic related.

But, when it actually came time to play out this stuff, he only offered "I don't know" to describe what he was doing and a much more stressed and emphatic "I don't know" when I tried to coax something out of him.
>>
File: Fate ME sheet 1.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Fate ME sheet 1.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>
>>46736708
I think it's good but flawed. It's not good enough to love, not flawed enough to hate.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.