[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did R get saddled with haste? Over the years all the other colors(particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: Mana_R.png (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Mana_R.png
15 KB, 250x250
Did R get saddled with haste?

Over the years all the other colors(particularly U) have gotten cool and useful abilities, while Red is still stuck with the old stuff.

Why?
>>
>>46732491
R recently just got primary menace and secondary prowess.
>>
red's biggest power to come out of nuMagic is having to pay 5 mana for a 5 damage to one creature sorcery because dealing damage to a creature needs to be penalized even more compared to normal removal.
>>
Red's effects are very powerful aswell despite being old, idk if you've heard the saying "Red deck wins" but red jano is always solid and doesn't really need that many keywords. Although menace is becoming a red norm.
>>
>>46732579
Unconditional removal in general is way overcosted in new sets to try and make limited more about the creatures.

I kind of hate it that white ends up with the best removal as a result, because that's not supposed to be what white's about.
>>
File: Image-7.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image-7.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Haven't played in a long time. Is R still about pissing people off and humor, or is it all speed now?
>>
File: Image.jpg (36 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
36 KB, 223x310
>>46732762
Speed.
>>
>>46732491
Red is a very simple color.
That is its greatest strength and greatest weakness. Its the best at what it does, but what it does isn't pretty. In every format there is a deck called 'Red Deck Wins' for a reason. Red can't be more then what it already is...or formats could break, but what it currently is is unimaginative and not conducive to longevity. I don't think its because they've been saddled with haste. I think its more the design team just lacks people who can think of what Red would really want.

If red got mechanics like the other colors, I think other colors would just run the good ones anyways and not go full tilt with it. Red is very easy to splash in for in that sense. For instance. Red got the sub theme of being able to cast the top card of your deck from exile but it was overcosted and couldn't be used. In blue that'd probably be 1-2 less mana.

They just don't know what to do with red.
>>
>>46732491
>U is broken
When will you dumb fuckers cut it out with the persecution? Blue doesn't get any special treatment from wotc or maro
>>
>>46734655
>They just don't know what to do with red.

I guess you could say it's the red-headed step-child of design.
>>
>>46732491
>Did R get saddled with the one ability everyone wishes every creature had?
>>
>>46734655
>>46736776

I don't blame them for not knowing what to do.

Take card drawing for instance. Incinerate or Shock with a cantrip tacked on would be insane.
>>
>>46734655
to be fair it's pretty hard to make flashy red cards when there are already so many good ones.

oh a 1 CMC red card? Is it as good as Lightning Bolt, Switfspear, or Goblin Guide?
2 CMC? IS it it as good as Young Pyromancer, Incinerate?
3? Shit man I'm playing RDW.

Compare to any other color where the 1 and 2 drops are varied enough that they don't go in every X color deck.
>>
>>46737305
Honestly they should really re-print lightning bolt.
>>
File: 1460933398460.jpg (1 MB, 2925x490) Image search: [Google]
1460933398460.jpg
1 MB, 2925x490
>>46734524
>the days of expensive game-breaking cards are over

I know they are impossible to use, but I loved them.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>46737423
4-way EDH game and the person enchanted with pic played warp world. Then everyone decided to play their free copies as well...
>>
>>46737703
I would love to see R EDH decks like this. No idea what they would use between the 2-drops and the 7-drops/10-drops.
>>
>>46737305
True enough, but they could still stand to do it even if its not as good. OP was asking for more variance, not just 'more good cards'. I think a change in flavor would help them come up with ideas, considering everything that is really good in red is blowing shit up or a fighter of some kind. Make an artist, or something. A creature that gives menace and is flavored as a 'Skin painter' or something.
>>
File: 110 (1).jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
110 (1).jpg
76 KB, 312x445
>>46732491
Red has finally started getting some pseudo-draw, which is nice.
>>
>>46737804
Probably all the red walls and some "if you attack you'll get fucking board wiped" stuff (which I'm sure Red has in plenty of)
>>
>>46737904
We need more red walls
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.