[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I create an illusion that fools sight, hearing, smell and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 49246d36x962a41eeaba8690.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
49246d36x962a41eeaba8690.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
If I create an illusion that fools sight, hearing, smell and even tactile senses to the point where if the illusion attacks your brain reacts and causes you damage then what's the difference between that and something real?
>>
>>46732154
It's an illusion.
>>
>>46732154
Perception does not create reality. The illusion, however "real" it may seem, exists within a limited corporeal framework. It is lesser in scale than the sum total of reality.

Postmodernism ruined philosophy and the sooner we forget it the better. Look what it did to the Wachowski Sisters.
>>
>>46732154
This is a debate for the wrong board, anon. This falls into the realm of philosophy, and, to a lesser extent, psychology. Look up the phaneron and subjective reality.
>>
>>46732221
Underrated post.
>>
>>46732154
>point where if the illusion attacks your brain reacts and causes you damage

And how would THAT be accomplished without real stimuli.
>>
>>46732221
>Wachowski Sisters

Who?
>>
File: Tidus_art.jpg (500 KB, 1280x1624) Image search: [Google]
Tidus_art.jpg
500 KB, 1280x1624
>>46732221
Does this mean I'm not a real boy?
>>
>>46732221

The Matrix is a poor example of illusion and is a better exploration on the power of symbol and language.

Suffice it to say, a world where reality and simulation are shot using different colored lens filters (green for the Matrix, blue for the real world) is a poor example of a narrative that explores the idea of what's real and what's not. Really, there is never any question as to where the characters are at any given moment, the characters understand this and the audience picks up on the duality of the filters intuitively.

The debate is instead about what symbols mean, trading in ideas rather than truth, and what we do to acknowledge these realities, buying into a world we know is glossing over the truth or diving deeper into our understanding of the nature of symbol and power in order to exert our own influence over them.
>>
>>46732154
The brain can't actually cause that much damage to the body. Bruises, rashes, and bloody noses are the most visible things that can be caused, while things like heart attacks are the most extreme. But its not like you can convince someone that the nerves in their arm were severed and actually prevent signals from traveling along them. A person who thinks they are paralyzed will act as though they are, but if convinced that they aren't they will stop being paralyzed because there isn't anything actually wrong with their body.
>>
>>46732262
One of the directors of the Matrix is transgender.
>>
>>46732603
Which one? The fat one or the bald one?
>>
>>46732154
Can it fool my body into thinking it's getting nourishment, too? Because that seems like it would be a big difference, if I couldn't sustain myself off of eating illusory food.
>>
>>46732603
Actually, they both are now. Makes sense, I guess, one of the leading theories of the cause of gender dysphoria is weirdness in the uterine environment and they'e twins. I guess it just took Andy (now Lily) Wachowski longer to come to terms with it.
>>
>>46732154
>to the point where if the illusion attacks your brain reacts and causes you damage
You've entered the realm of pseudoscience.
>>
>>46733792
Eva is truth, Eva is life
>>
>>46732154
Descartes, is that you?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.