[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw this is 100% true
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16
File: Its all ogre.png (925 KB, 922x681) Image search: [Google]
Its all ogre.png
925 KB, 922x681
>tfw this is 100% true
>>
File: Original Kaldor Draigo.jpg (45 KB, 441x480) Image search: [Google]
Original Kaldor Draigo.jpg
45 KB, 441x480
WHFB pretty much started fading into obscurity even before Age of Sigmar, being overshadowed by 40k, which is pretty sad because it was one of the cooler fantasy settings out there IMO. It's sad it didn't get even half the write/drawfaggotry and love/attention 40k got.

You also reminded me of my friend who bragged about painting some Knights of Morr of his several years ago, but in the end never did it.

We remember you, Sigmar, and occasionally pray to you when Ministorum isn't looking.
>>
>>46732759
It's kinda funny that Battlefleet Gothic and Warhammer Fantasy are both getting top-tier RTS vidya games despite being dead in tabletop.
>>
>>46732759
>We remember you, Sigmar
I miss when he was the emps more successful, more caring, Cohan the Barbarian cousin
>>
>>46732814
Fantasy is getting one BECAUSE it's dead. CA wanted to do this in 2005, but they were told 'no' because the game would drag people from model buying.

You really think Little Timmy is going to drop £200 on some plastic army men, paints and tools, paint them to a good standard and learn a 400+ page rulebook and 100+ page rulebooks just to push two blocks against each other?

Or is he going to buy a game which costs £30 and allows him to smash thousands of troops together and have big monsters and actual magical effects?
>>
>>46732967
that sounds silly

dawn of war already showed that video games get people buying figures
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
>>
>>46733000
When 40k is popular already, the loss isn't a problem, because people are already buying your product enough for you to go "This won't be a problem". Furthermore, the average 40k game didn't involved over 100 figures each side. Blocks of 20, 30, 40, 50.

Either way, that's irrelevant, that's the logic GW went with and told CA know. I read an interview they did and they said "We've wanted to do this for a long time, since 2005 actually [laughter] but GW didn't allow us to do it" and then I forgot the rest of the stuff. Either way, they asked after Medieval 1 and got told 'no'. This was the period of time where Warhammer Fantasy got 1 (ONE) game (and an expansion for said game). From Dark Omen (the last good WHFB game) to 2006 Mark of Chaos (one of the best intros of all time) and 2008 expansion Death March, that was all you could get. They weren't very good games either. GW then decided unless people paid a stupid amount for their licenses, they weren't worth it.

It's likely a reason Relic/THQ died.
>>
>>46733000
If there's one thing that GW isn't: It's smart.
>>
>>46733160
>relic dead
relic isnt dead, they're making dow 3 and keep coh2 and dow2: retribution up to date
>>
>>46733134
>now imagining the breakfast club with a tomb queen, high elf prince, empire battle maiden, and a brett knight
>>
File: Blackfire.png (2 MB, 885x792) Image search: [Google]
Blackfire.png
2 MB, 885x792
>>46732861
He managed to pull-off the "Distant-God-Emperor" trope without dying horribly, becoming a vegetable or having his philosophies turned upside-down. 40k is about every-single-thing-that-can-go-wrong actually going wrong, while WHFB had that less grimderp approach of life being shit and full of death lurking everywhere, and yet still had place for hope, normal life instead of being doomed to serve as a cog in a totalitarian machine.

I pretty much liked that.
>>
>>46733205
Sorry, I should qualify, dead and not owned by the greedy monster that is SEGA.
>>
>>46733218
It would be magnificent, anon.
>>
>>46733218
Eh. Remove the Elf, they're still in AoS. Replace with... Err... Well nobody else is missing yet.
>>
File: Blood-Bowl_Prince-Moranion.jpg (109 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
Blood-Bowl_Prince-Moranion.jpg
109 KB, 864x864
>>46733518
those Aelfs aint the glorious sons of Uthuan nigga
>>
File: High_Queen_Kahlida.jpg (198 KB, 400x951) Image search: [Google]
High_Queen_Kahlida.jpg
198 KB, 400x951
>>46733218
>Tomb Queen

Time for a Khalida hijack.
>>
File: Tombkings_Khalinda3.jpg (295 KB, 762x1085) Image search: [Google]
Tombkings_Khalinda3.jpg
295 KB, 762x1085
>>46733754
>>
File: Tomb_Queen_Alive.jpg (134 KB, 705x1132) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_Queen_Alive.jpg
134 KB, 705x1132
>>46733778
>>
File: Khalida_Mini.png (243 KB, 369x540) Image search: [Google]
Khalida_Mini.png
243 KB, 369x540
>>46733803
>>
File: Khalida_Chokes_A_Tick.png (474 KB, 417x632) Image search: [Google]
Khalida_Chokes_A_Tick.png
474 KB, 417x632
>>46733835
>>
File: Khalida_Bust.jpg (137 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
Khalida_Bust.jpg
137 KB, 774x1032
>>46733875
>>
>>46733160
I don't know whose understanding of how cross marketing and tie-in media works is worse, Yours or GW's.

There is almost no way that a successful tie-in game from a, then respected, game developer would result in anything other than a mutually beneficial sales bump in both. And WHFB was never marketed to children, it's had the same target audience since it started.
>>
File: Khalida_Comic.png (864 KB, 1024x1439) Image search: [Google]
Khalida_Comic.png
864 KB, 1024x1439
>>46733907
That's all Tomb Queen art I have on me right now, it'd be cool if someone else could post some as well.
>>
>>46733533
They are. Are you not a Son of, I dunno, America cause you move to Latvia?
>>
>>46733754
Get that lesbian coward out of here.

>>46733955
Look this is GW's logic, not mine. Okay, faggot, if you're so smart, WHY DIDN'T THEY DO IT THEN?
>>
>>46733218
>What do you care what I think anyway? I don't even count, right? I could disappear forever and it wouldn't make any difference.
>>
>>46734031
>WHY DIDN'T THEY DO IT THEN

I can take two guesses, both better than the shit you spewed like you knew anything. The first is that they hoped by making the cost of getting a license higher, they would protect a fragile (in their mind) IP. You see, while a good movie/game/book tie in can increase sales, a bad one will do the opposite. It will turn your game into an object of ridicule just by being associated with it, see the D&D movie and D&D. They where likely worried that Warhammer couldn't survive something like that.

The second, is that they actually don't do market research.
>>
>>46734422
That's a truth. The funny thing is, Lizardmen remained completely unchanged, even their fluff is relatively unchanged.

Were Lizardmen REALLY that popular? I know people in my bunker played Lizardmen a fair bit (I did too) along with Elves, Skaven and Empire... But the fact Lizardmen have not changed much. I mean, they're the only race without a God, they've reinforced the link between Sigmar and Lizardmen even more, but no-Gods = bad for me... But really? Are they really that popular?

I need to speak to Josh Reynolds and ask him to put some Lizardmen Gods into his next AoS book. He's the only guy to shit on Sigmarines.
>>
>>46734565
>The second, is that they actually don't do market research.

That isn't even a guess, it's just a fact. A fact that they actually -brag- about.
>>
>>46734574
>Lizardmen have no God

What about Sotek?
>>
>>46734574
If I had to guess its because they've got a reasonably unique silhouette, very few other companies make lizardmen and now they've been shorn of all that interesting Aztec flavour they're much easier to claim as a uniquely GW thing than knights, mummies and poofy pantalooned Germans.
>>
>>46734565
>shit a spewed

That's not what I spewed, it's what CA said iirc. As for the other point, GW must have had a reason to do it. License fees isn't a good enough excuse.

Warhammer Fantasy wasn't very popular. For fun numbers, Mark of Chaos sold 30,000 copies. Dawn of War sold 7 million.

The majority of people would prefer animated combat, not models and learning rules. 40k was massively, to the point of ludicrous, more popular

Therefore, GW did not want to lose the small amount of people buying their models, buying a game which did better shit. How many people who played DoW went out and bought 3000 points of 40k models? I'd like to know numbers, you must have those somewhere to back up your argument. So I'll give you 5 mins to copy and paste them and the source here, or, well, I'll just have to assume you're making an assumption.

Oh and don't bother doing "HUR DUR FAGEIT XDD" shitposting or I'll just dismiss any hope that you have a modicum of intellect.
>>
>>46734731
>much easier to claim as a uniquely GW thing than knights, mummies and poofy pantalooned Germans.

GW's obsession with protecting its IP is probably one of the things doing the most damage to them.
>>
>>46734634
Nope. No Gods are mentioned being worshipped by Lizardmen. There are Old One inspired constellations. That's it. No actual worship. Josh Reynolds wrote a book about them destroying plaques from the Old World which were 'wrong calculations'. So they kinda seem to have dropped the whole 'god' thing.
>>
>>46732967
>30 quid
gotta be joking senpai
>>
>>46734982

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sotek

"Sotek is the God of Serpents of the Lizardmen of Lustria. Though the Lizardmen traditionally worshipped the Old Ones, Sotek established himself as an important deity, specially for the Skinks. Initially only existing in prophecies of a few stone tablets from Chaqua, he rose from an upstart minor god to a major one, nearly surpassing the Old Ones themselves."

It sounds like either there's a fluff inconsistency (Oh GW, you've done it again) or they changed their minds about worship.

Maybe I should read more WHFB novels after I finish the Space Wolf series. The only book I went through was about Knights of Ulric.
>>
>>46734620
>A fact that they actually -brag- about
Do you have source for this handy? This sounds dense, even for GW.
>>
>>46734927
I'm pretty sure the Judge in the Chapterhouse case told in so many words them that going ahead was a stupid move, and they went ahead anyway.

>>46735118
http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2013-14-Press-statement-final-website.pdf

search "otiose"
>>
>>46735261
Searched and went straight to "we do no market research" lol
>>
>>46735261
>We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants.
Says it all, really.
>>
>>46734574
>no-Gods = bad for me.
This is fucking stupid. Why can't there be ONE fucking group of people in a fantasy setting who don't have to worship something? That's one thing I always look for in a new setting-- "Which one of these groups doesn't have some giant faggot whose cock they have to suck?"
>>
>>46735889
Fantasy people are inspired from real people; it's really difficult to find cultures that don't venerate some sort of powerful beings, especially in the less technologically developed ones.
>>
File: 200w.gif (145 KB, 200x261) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
145 KB, 200x261
>>46735889
>>
>>46735085
>http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sotek
m8, he's speaking about the age of sigmar's incarnation of lizardmen, there's no mention of old ones worship there, the closest things are mentions of old ones (or sotek) for names of constellations or that some of them believe sunbloods to be fragments of some lost war god of theirs.
>>
>>46734924
I was doing the same thing you where doing, making an educated guess based on almost no fucking evidence. Only difference between you is me is that I work in marketing, so my educated guesses have some experience behind them. I've worked with companies like GW, companies with their heads lodged so firmly in their ass they can't see what's best for them.

For one, Mark of Chaos sold so poorly because it was a meh game released in a year with a lot of better games as competition. It was also a buggy fucking mess worse than Dawn of War, and a totally different type of game btw. It also wasn't popular by Warhammer fans, the actual target audience according to the game's publisher.

>The majority of people would prefer animated combat, not models and learning rules
People like that aren't even considered the target audience for these companies and shouldn't play into any sort of plans at all. Of course every single person who plays the game isn't going to buy the models, you bank on some people doing it, which is usually a good bet.

>Therefore, GW did not want to lose the small amount of people buying their models, buying a game which did better shit.

That doesn't even make sense. People who already invested into the game have an incentive to continue, and would see a successful game as a good investment that marks growing popularity.

> I'd like to know numbers, you must have those somewhere to back up your argument. So I'll give you 5 mins to copy and paste them and the source here, or, well, I'll just have to assume you're making an assumption.

Ya, let me go get the market research GW did and I'll...Oh shit, wait. That's all we can do dick for brains, assume, because we are talking about a company led by retards that forgot how to do fucking market research. All we know from CA, was that they where denied the ability to make the game back in 2005, anything else is speculation.
>>
>>46736231
Also, I wouldn't assume that Fantasy was struggling. I think it was just not experiencing the positive growth that 40k was, and GW wasn't happy with that.
>>
>>46734012
Oh, you would still be. But in, like, two thousand years? Your Latvian descendants won't be appreciably American in any way.
I'm sure they'll be very symmetrical, though.
>>
File: 1414742824953.jpg (1 MB, 1755x2483) Image search: [Google]
1414742824953.jpg
1 MB, 1755x2483
>>46730948
I'm never going to let it go
>>
>>46736308
Until GW fucked it up it was a top 5 selling wargame and making about a third of their revenue.
>>
>>46736552

I need to see the sales numbers for next year, so I can justify editing a bicycle comic of GW jamming an Age of Sigmar logo into their front tire and eating shit.
>>
>>46736552

By fucking it up do you mean 6E or whatever edition the WHFB players always complain about? 7E? 8E?
>>
>>46738310
6e is generaly considered one of the best

8th and the introduction of bigatures along with end times will be on the top of most disgruntled peoples shitlist however.
>>
>>46736527

How is this any different to the OTT crap in AoS?
>>
>>46738758
It has grit
It gets to a huge level but is rooted with crazy every day dudes
no spacemarines
>>
File: warhammer.jpg (571 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
571 KB, 1280x1024
>>46738758
It's cool, drawn better, has blood, ties to the lore, numbers, a guy with dummies on his amputee forelimbs reenacting the victory over the chaotic invasion and the big guys in heavy armor are more sensibly proportioned.
>>
>>46738758
it's background decoration. it is never really mentioned anywhere
>>
>>46738758

It's not really, but lots of Fantasy players like to close their eyes and pretend that they're playing a game which was supposed to be super realistic.
>>
>>46740551
You're 100% right, AoS looks fully legit and tradtional

Spacemarines are love
Spacemarines are life
>>
>>46740597

It may not exactly match some of the highest tier stuff in AoS, but neither does it match up with the absolute realist point of view that lots of Fantasy players liked to espouse, particularly when complaining about new models.
>>
>>46734012
But anon, what if Latvia was the moon. And space that was actually the gazpacho soup of a derpy god?
And that derpy god was you?
And the Americans were seagulls?

That's more what it would be like.
>>
>>46740803
it still has at the very least a semblance that can be identified with some realism, rather than AoS which has no flavor or anything to relate too
>>
>>46740803
>realist point of view that lots of Fantasy players liked to espouse
>Warhams
>realistic
You dumb nigger.
>>
File: 1411807917965.jpg (186 KB, 630x866) Image search: [Google]
1411807917965.jpg
186 KB, 630x866
>>46741027

Don't tell that to me, tell that to the people complaining about the models that got added to the Empire and High Elves in 8th Edition, off the top of my head.

And I'm not talking about big models either, but models like the Demigryphs and asking stupid questions like how a boat can float in the air a world full of magic.
>>
>>46741027
tbf the badlands is a good depitcion of the middle east
>>
>>46740597
>yfw AoS takes place on a series of asteroids in the Warp right inside the Eye of Terror, and the Sigmarines appearance is just how Space Marines appear to the other races
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.