[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /tg/ Which 40k army should a newcomer go for? This person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: 1246883354_evil_john_mccain.gif (291 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1246883354_evil_john_mccain.gif
291 KB, 420x420
Dear /tg/
Which 40k army should a newcomer go for?
This person is mainly looking for very high firepower and it should be assumed that cost of models is not a factor.
I just want to hear everybody's opinions on it
>>
>>46730796
IG.

You can also play the RPGs with them.
>>
Depends. Do they want to have fun or do they want to win?
>>
>>46730864
Yeah so far it seems like it's between the Guard and Necrons
>>
>>46730892
They're not entirely serious or dedicated but still don't want to lose.
>>
Undead space egyptians always sucked to me
>>
>>46730796
everybody will shit on thid post, but personally, I recommend you to go for the army you like the most design-wise.
If you pay for models you hate to paint, I don't see how the game can be appealing.
>>
It's hard to go wrong with space marines.
>>
>>46730796
Sisters of Battle
>>
>>46730796
Is GW the only hobby community around your area?

If there is literally any other game I would go for that. Fuck me, I would join a knitting club if it was a choice between that and GW.
The game's not bad, but that company makes a habit of pulling dick moves out of its ass without a single ounce of rhyme or reason.

If you're dead set on starting it up don't worry too much about the meta. Pick the army that speaks to you, as chances are that in 2 or 3 months your army will see an update. Next wave of broken ass rules will hit the shelves and your current armies best units will suddenly become the worse, and your previously worse units will become your new rape train.
>>
File: 46846516549.jpg (11 KB, 127x183) Image search: [Google]
46846516549.jpg
11 KB, 127x183
While on the topic of new players,
My sister got her first paycheck from her first job today.

I asked her what she was gonna do with the money.

Turns out she already spent it all on 40k figures.

>"Cool, we can play sometime. What army?"
>"Play? No, anon. I'm not gonna waste my time on nerd shit like you. I just like the figures."
>mfw
>>
>>46735939
>buying figures to play with them
>2016

Get with the times, grandpa
>>
>>46730796
>very high firepower

That's Tau or Eldar. Not IG, not Necrons, not Space Marines.

It's Tau and Eldar.
>>
>>46731476
This should have been the first post, because it's the best post.

WISDOM
I
S
D
O
M
>>
not the op, but I'm interested in starting out too

For some reason, the thought of buying just imperial guard infantry and moving around a giant blob is very appealing to me
is this remotely viable?
>>
>>46739001
and also, what is the theoretical maximum number of guardsmen I can have on field in an average game?
>>
>>46739001

Yeah, you have to take them as Conscripts and add leadership enhancer attachments though.
>>
>>46731476
This. If you hate your army you'll never have fun.
>>
>>46739065
Depends on points, but a platoon of Guardsmen is 130 points for two squads of nine, each with a Sergeant, and a command squad of four Guardsmen and a Platoon Commander.
>>
>>46739196

I love my army and lose every game because it's based on an oudated FW Imperial Armor chapter meaning you know it's doomed to failure on both the tabletop and in 40k's historical timeline, but I still enjoy the game.

You spend 99% of the time painting and modelling your army anyway unless you're an unpainted army gamer who plays many games a week, so it's important to like your army's aesthetics and story more than the way they play.

That said, I do have some basic 3 color minimum DV bikes and grav centurions I snagged for cheap on eBay to play serious builds.
>>
>>46739258
>>46739163
much obliged

how many points are in a typical game? Or I guess, what I should be asking, is approximately how many models I should get of what
>>
>>46739493

1850 is the norm but 1500 is where the game is best played. You will have trouble finding games below 1250 except against other new players or people in a rush.
>>
>>46739493
Between 1,500 and 2,000 points. You'll probably want an HQ of some kind, a platoon or two of guardsmen, maybe more, then some Leman Russ tanks for armor, Chimeras to transport your Guardsmen around in, and I'd say some Basilisk artillery to shell people from across the table with. Really though your best bet is to get the codex, rule book and Battlescribe, then throw some things together until you like the look of it.
>>
>>46730796
Necrons or Space Marines. You'll have the dakka with Necrons, and any dakka you lack with marines can be taken as allies.
>>
Play 30k instead. I am sure you would love the mechanicum.
>>
They shouldn't get anything. Run away, and play a better game. Any other game. Fuck, even WizKids makes a better balanced game system at this point...
>>
>>46739881
If OP wants to waste his cash let OP waste his cash.
>>
>>46739592
>>46739550
thanks bros

are air units any good?
>>
>>46740273

None of the IG ones are. Vultures and Vendettas are okay but they're not the rape machines they used to be. The superheavy FW ones like the Marauder Bomber/Destroyer might be good.
>>
>>46740350
holy fuck those are some pricy models
>>
ATTENTION PEONS IN THIS THREAD

DO NO BUY 40K
DO NOT BUY
>40K

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW MUCH YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND ON THIS SHIT IN THE LONG RUN.
NO 40 $$$K

step 1.pirate the rulebooks
step 2. get a bunch of poker chips
step 3. buy your "armies" and tape labels to you chips. use sticks to tape together larger multi-chip units

step 4. play at 1/100th the cost and realize what a simple game dominated by RNG the mechanics actually are
>>
>>46740420
China is your friend for FW stuff.

reddit / r / yoyhammer
>>
>>46744235

Why would you play this shit game if you don't even have miniatures.

That's like drinking bad tasting liquor that doesn't get you drunk, or fucking a woman where the sex doesn't feel good.
>>
>>46744397
I did this once with my girlfriend. She had sold her miniatures days before but I thought it could be something to do together

actually I advocate the poker chip or quarter approach to every singe miniature wargame
>>
>>46730796
I really like Harlequin, and we'll be getting an HQ soon if rumors are true, making us an actual army.
>>
>>46739550
>1850 is the norm now
What? Like even last year I swear it was 1500
>>
>>46744397
Because dropping $500 on minis isn't an option for poor people and $15 for poker chips is?
>>
>>46744803

1850 has been the standard for everything from tournaments to shop play where people don't play 2000 or 2500 for years and years. The only place it's been 1500 standard is at GW. Even the Europeans who went to 1750 instead of 1850 when 6E made 2000 obsolete (look how fast those 1999+1 tournaments died out) have switched to 1850.
>>
>>46744881

Why the fuck would you even waste $15 and a good set of poker chips on this shitty game? The entire game exists and is only worth playing as a way to push around miniatures.

That you fail to comprehend this even after that post shows why people who play 40k for reasons besides the miniatures, terrain, or lore are idiots. Maybe if you weren't so stupid you could afford $500? $500 isn't even a lot of money. It's like less than one monthly payment for an expensive car, one payment for a middle of the road sports car, and two months payments for a cheap ass econobox. You're literally "I can't afford car payments" poor.
>>
>>46744931
Dude you sound disgustingly entitled right now
>>
>>46744982

That's what happens when fucking idiots whine about prices all day long every single day. People get fed up with your bullshit.

>calling other people entitled
>I CAN'T AFFORD THIS I SHOULD GET IT ANYWAY WHY'S IT SO EXPENSIVE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT
>>
>>46730796
Have them browse the lines and fluff for Tau, Eldar, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, and SkitMech. Whichever they are most interested in is the right choice.
>>
File: 1460861083872.jpg (147 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1460861083872.jpg
147 KB, 500x730
>>46735939
>I'm not gonna waste my time on nerd shit
>wastes money on useless nerd shit
She better be fucking collecting to sell some day.
>>
File: image.jpg (299 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299 KB, 1920x1080
>>46739065
Yes.
>>
>>46730796

Sphess Muhreens are a good starter army.
>>
>>46735939

Rape her.
>>
File: 1450129124745.jpg (53 KB, 539x539) Image search: [Google]
1450129124745.jpg
53 KB, 539x539
>>46744982
He sounds like he has a job
>>
>>46744397
But the miniatures are fucking awful. Everything is lumpy, squat and even the "elegant" Eldar have hands like shovels and equipment and weapons bulkier than bloody keyblades.
>>
>>46745642

Stop playing with metal RT miniatures, Anon.
>>
>>46744235
Only a waac fag could play with poker chips instead of models. The only reason I even play anymore is so I can show off a finished project.
>>
Necrons are very newcomer-friendly. They're durable as fuck, and within the 24" range they can outshoot just about anybody else. You can literally just march them across the table, firing every turn, rapid firing if you're within RF range, and pull off wins through overwhelming firepower and a relentless advance.

It is a LITTLE more complicated than that, of course. Necrons get bogged down something awful in melee and can be ground down (very slowly) by almost anyone who engages them in close combat. Because of this, you want to avoid getting into melee range with your target unless doing so will give you enough rapid fire to have a good chance of wiping out the unit, or at least making it fall back.

Also, despite being a very shooty army, almost nothing in the Necron arsenal has a range past 24", so that's the magic number. So you have to get close, but not so close that you'll be melee'd. It's a tricky balancing act.
>>
>>46744892
>The only place it's been 1500 standard is at GW
And people accuse Geedubs of making them buy bigger armies. Heh.
>>
>>46735939
So, either she isn't going to paint them or is going to spend more time painting than playing with them would require.

>>46745473
And people wonder why 40k kids have the worst reputation amongst miniature hobby.
>>
>>46745811
>implying the trash GW shovel out nowdays is an improvement compared to RT-era minis.
>>
>>46739493
Doesn't this depend who you're playing with? Who are you playing with?
>>
>>46746343

If you don't want to be triggered, stay in tumblr.
>>
>>46746375

If you're the guy who said metal Nagash is better than plastic Nagash, I will fly to your home and murder you, if I had the money for airfare and a means to evade law enforcement indefinitely.
>>
>>46746426
Rape jokes just aren't usually funny, kiddo.
>>
>>46747068

>>46746426
>>
File: clown doll.png (399 KB, 479x452) Image search: [Google]
clown doll.png
399 KB, 479x452
>>46747068
Picture a woman, half-naked, running down an abandoned city street at night. Tears are running down her face as she gasps and sobs. You hear an odd noise, quiet at first, barely there but soon it becomes louder. Squeaking. Constant squeaking from multiple sources. Then they come around the corner.

Clowns. A dozen of them, their shoes making loud squeaking and honking noises, their painted on smiles only slightly larger than the real smiles they have on their faces. The woman is barefoot and is quickly caught and surrounded by these painted up attackers.

Before she can cry out, a balloon giraffe is shoved down her throat as several clowns take out their own balloons and begin putting them onto their throbbing erections. She's bent over one of the clowns while two others come at her from the front and behind. They quickly penetrate her and begin honking their horns in rhythm with their thrusts while the idle clowns perform somersaults and pratfalls as they wait their turns with her.

The honking begins to speed up as the clowns near orgasm and increase the rate of their thrusting. Shortly after, they all pull out of her and ejaculate into their balloons. They quickly remove them, blow them up and make them into different animals as the other clowns move in to take their turns.

This goes on for nearly two hours. The woman is exhausted and bruised, trembling from the cold and the trauma. Most of the clowns have left, save one final clown fucking her throat raw. He pulls his cock out and blows his load all over her face, then stands back to admire his handiwork.

She looks up at him, tears in her red eyes and tries to talk.

He hits her in the face with a pie.
>>
>>46747890
Eh.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.