[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever resent having to save the world? It's just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1429196619704.jpg (42 KB, 470x375) Image search: [Google]
1429196619704.jpg
42 KB, 470x375
Do you ever resent having to save the world?

It's just one of those goals that does nothing to help define the character, and puts itself at such a priority that all your other goals end up being secondary.
>>
>>46730114
Yes. He makes snarky comments a lot and occasionally goes on an ear blistering rant when, for the 32nd time, the royalty didn't believe them and shit has predictably hit the fan.
>>
File: Incs1.jpg (516 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Incs1.jpg
516 KB, 1680x1050
>>46730114
>implying secondary concerns somehow suffer

False dilemma is false.

Heroing is not a "job" and people - especially Supers - never "resent" doing what they love doing.
>>
>>46730114
Yeah.

Mostly I resent the other stuff though. Where the GM throws six plothooks at us, then punishes us halfway through the second for the four we haven't gotten to yet. It's pretty vexing.
>>
>>46732110
Time stops for no one.
>>
File: Girl-Leapt-Time-6.gif (858 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
Girl-Leapt-Time-6.gif
858 KB, 500x280
>>46732185
I still cry every time.
>>
I've legit never played a save-the-world-kind of game.
>>
>>46732185
That's reasonable, but literally nobody else in the entire world being able to resolve a plothook if their life literally depends on it?
What the heck, man. We physically can't solve all of these before he stars punishing us for them, even if such herculean exertion would be in character.

Getting blamed/punished for things we couldn't prevent gets really old after a while.
>>
Personally my favorite campaigns are selfish "get rich and powerful" schemes where we hire ourselves onto a title claimant and conquer a kingdom in his name, William the Conqueror style.

Campaign ends with us as Kingmakers, living the good life on our new land and new noble titles, probably dukes!
>>
>>46734130
you're thinking of it the wrong way.

You have to choose which thing to handle and in what order, and conversely you also have to choose what you aren't going to do. You need to actively think as if you can only accomplish a few of your objectives with the time given and consider the consequences and rewards thusly.

tl;dr, choose what to do like you were playing XCOM
>>
Saitama pls
>>
>>46736775
Right, but I'm playing a character, not XCOM. And my character, tremendous ego aside, doesn't have any particular reason to think that they're the only one in the entire world who can solve problems and all happening hinges on their choices.
>>
>>46737054
so why are you playing PnP? It sounds like your would prefer reading Kafka.
>>
File: 1449408268220.png (102 KB, 560x421) Image search: [Google]
1449408268220.png
102 KB, 560x421
>>46730114
I fucking hate save the world plots to the point where I've started saying "fuck you, let someone else deal with it" when it's presented and actively steer my party away from them.
They are the absolute worst. I really should just quit every game where the GM presents one but then I would never get to play ever because EVERY GM I GET DOES THIS WHAT THE FUCK.

Even when the party starts at level-fucking-one we are still tasked with saving the world almost immediately, I am so salty.
>>
>>46737270
Additional Information: Every single time it's some kind of demon lord darkbad god being unsealed from his nether realm.
>>
>>46730114
I generally enjoy saving the world and make a fortune while doing so.
I think this is because saving the world is kind of a rarity for me, being a non-D&D player.
>>
All the time yes! I never speak up, but fuck. I have shit I want to get done too, and I can't do it if assholes destroy the world.
>>
>>46737353

Next time it should be climate change or over reliance on nonrenewable magical fuels for industry.
>>
>>46737153
Not that anaon but... What? He's just saying that every problem isn't the players problem. Chances are there is some bad ass legendary hero who can solve the problem too.
>>
>>46732082
>implying secondary concerns somehow suffer

But they do.
For example, let's say you want to defeat your evil twin brother.
And save the world.

If the choice is between defeat your evil twin brother and save the world, you basically have to save the world, so you can't pursue the goal you set for yourself.
And, if defeating your evil twin coincides with saving the world, then regardless of the reasons you originally wanted to defeat him, people will say you defeated him in order to save the world.
"Saving the world" is something just about everyone has to do if they are able to, regardless of whether they are good, bad, ugly, or simply inconvenienced by their own deaths and the deaths of everyone they know.
>>
>>46741043
I guess not saving the world is a good way to defeat your evil twin brother.

>"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering-" evil twin brother "-to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."
>>
>>46730114
Only one of my characters, hell only one campaign I've played had 'save the world' as an objective.

And yes, she resented it. If the world was never under threat then she wouldn't have been aware of who she was. She would have lived her life unknowing she was fated to bring so much death and fear into the world. A fate that couldn't have even come to pass unless she was aware of it.

Every morning she wakes up wishing she never even opened that first letter.
A small part of her hopes that this is the day the end has come. That it'll come so suddenly she won't even be aware as it claims her life.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.