[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /tg/ dress for RP ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: RpNight.jpg (20 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
RpNight.jpg
20 KB, 500x278
If no, why not ?
I've witnesses that it helps people play their character better, especially new players.
I think it just adds a lot and do not necessarily require that much $$$.
>>
I have a samurai helmet I wear sometimes.
>>
File: 1460591973593.jpg (105 KB, 500x426) Image search: [Google]
1460591973593.jpg
105 KB, 500x426
>>46725520
No, my wardrobe is fucking tiny and as the GM I'd have bring a costume closet with me for all the different characters in a single session. That said, it might be fun to dress up as the most common mook. If I had more stuff to wear I might actually consider the notion since I love everything related to acting, including costume and make-up.

On a related note, I've been meaning to buy a fancy wizard hat for ages. I think every GM should I have wizard hat, regardless of the system or setting.
>>
>>46725520
We do dress for LotR setting or SW setting.
LotR is easier and much more comfortable tho
>>
>>46725520
We have a joking tradition of the "Gm cloak".
One of the other GM's has an actual black cape he wears sometimes. When I'm running a Viking/dark ages/general Barbarian-type game I have a furry cloak I wear sometimes.
But it's all in jest really. We're not big into larping. Good for you if you are though!
>>
>>46725592
Basically this. as a GM, never. Too complicated.
But as a player i try to always wear something related to the character, even if it isn't the full cosplay
>>
W only do it for StarWars, we decided to do that becasue one tiem regular to the FLGS all came as stormtrooper and it was impossible to tell one from the other.

They were really just their character.
>>
I have pants on
Be happy about that
>>
I own a whole reindeer hide, which is itself sort of a running gag at my house, and I wore it on my shoulders like a cloak once at the table. It looks pretty majestic but it's kind of a pain to take it down and tack it back up on the wall again.

Usually no, though. Even if I wanted to dress up, I usually run crazy homebrews for my players - our current campaign world doesn't even have anything remotely humanoid in it - and you can't really find appropriate costumes for cultures/species I pulled out of my ass.

On a tangentially related note, my dice bag is handmade out of dark blue cloth with stars and planets on it, taken from a wizard costume I wore for Halloween when I was a little kid.
>>
When I GM I'll wear one costume. Whatever I feel like. It's not really to enhance the game as it is to make people feel more comfortable because my other house rules:
You write 1 page back story you get 1 reroll
You dress up you get 1 reroll *per session you showed up dressed up*
Bring your own mini get 1 reroll

I do this cuz the circles I travel in its always like 1 guy that plays regularly and a bunch of friends that want to try and have never played before so I found it makes them kinda commit to being 'present' both physically and mentally when at the game and just makes for a better experience when everyone is kinda on the same page.
>>
>>46725520
No. I would just feel silly.
>>
If I had the armor, I would

If only....If only....
>>
File: 1460655202935.png (145 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
1460655202935.png
145 KB, 400x308
>one player brings wizard cap and cape
>other players laughed at his autistic apparel
>he laughs awkwardly and takes it off
>we never discuss rp clothing again
>party is slowly falling apart from inability to really get into the game
I really want to try it if it works. Anyone with experience, does it really help break any tension we might have? I think most of my party is just scared to get laughed at for acting silly, but I hoped maybe it'd be easier to act like an asshole wizard when you're wearing one's hat.
>>
>>46727656
You just have to not give a fuck:

>he laughs awkwardly and takes it off
This here is were he went wrong. Instead he should be totally straight faced and go "well where's yours then?"
>>
File: SANC_8522.jpg (106 KB, 856x1128) Image search: [Google]
SANC_8522.jpg
106 KB, 856x1128
>>46725520
I was thinking of bringing character themed hats for my players. Nothing amazing just €10 halloween things from ebay. Does it help with roleplay?
>>
>>46725602
Did you own the furry cloak before you started running the game?

Where did you get it?
>>
>>46727656
The party not being able to "get into the game" has nothing to do with what they're wearing, though, and you can have groups that don't "get into the game" that function perfectly well and stick together for years.

It sounds like your group just plain isn't comfortable around each other, which means that you (as a GM) need to do something before your group crumbles. My recommendation is to play something like Everyone is John or even just play Fate, with the setting being "what do we all enjoy?" Something light and player-focused so they can look at each other instead of at the rules and the dice all the time.

Anyways, if there's tension then silly clothes aren't going to help, unless you wear a costume-store wizard costume and deliver all your lines in an old man voice. And even then, it might come off as annoying if you're a bad judge of social situations / trying your hardest to be funny when you're just a dingus in a purple starry hat.
>>
File: SergeiIsAmusedPixilated.jpg (261 KB, 636x960) Image search: [Google]
SergeiIsAmusedPixilated.jpg
261 KB, 636x960
>>46725520
When I do, I tend to Role Play for work. I work at an airsoft field and get into the role when they need someone for VIP-related games, like an attack-defend evacuation game and a downed pilot sort of game. Throw on a hawaiian shirt and the whole "save the foreign national!" theme gets a bit more believable than just another asshole in multicam. I mean, most airsoft is LARP in disguise anyway (and sometimes not so disguised), may as well embrace it.

I don't dress up for tabletop RP though, because it's more work than is really needed for friends around a table or on the other side of a screen.
>>
>>46729288
a LOT.
>>
File: endor-rebels.jpg (456 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
endor-rebels.jpg
456 KB, 1600x1200
>>46725520
>>46727656

We ALWAYS play in cosplay. that helps TREMENDOUSLY shy people and newbs.

When you are surrounded by 4 camo wearing rebels newbs think "omfg that so gay" then 20 minutes into the game nobody is out of character anymore and the next time they show with a old blanket or tent or whatever on themselves.

Works 100%. Also if your setting is pretty generic Fantasy or SW, even a cheap costume (or at least aprt of it) can be used for 2-3 years without redundancy.

It's cheap and gets the job done.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.