[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Untitled2.png (24 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
24 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

>QM
How would you run an Afrofuturist quest?

>Player
What genres of science fiction are underrepresented?
>>
>>46716323
>How would you run an Afrofuturist quest?
I wouldn't. Ask a better question and skip the namefaggotry.
>>
>>46716323
>What genres of science fiction are underrepresented?
Roadside Picnic stuff I guess
>>
Man what is up with these threads and the bait QM questions lately? We get it, you want to start shit.
>>
>>46716323

Non-military, hard science fiction is almost non-existent in this century.
>>
>>46717075
You know, I haven't seen that in awhile. I'd love to play in such a quest.
>>
Asking again since I didn't get a response last thread, is it okay to use create.swf to illustrate a quest?
>>
>>46717199
What is that even?
>>
>>46717199
If you want to.
>>
File: deathofacyborg.png (444 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
deathofacyborg.png
444 KB, 500x432
>>46717142
>>
you know, I can kind of understand why qtg was completely banned and forced everyone into spooky for a while, if this is going to happen even on weekends.
>>
>>46717812
Can you please use proper capitalization? You are not on Tumblr where such behavior would be considered acceptable.
>>
From previous thread:

>>46711359
What if it's a neatly-concluding batch of 20-25 threads per "season" with breaks in between and new plot arcs per season?
>>
>>46718183
Then it's a serial, not a story
>>
>>46717845
It's not like I disagree, these thinskinned, limpwristed faggots don't know how not to take the bait, but I don't really want to read through more than a hundred posts of people "testing" and "punishing" them.
>>
>>46718206
Elaborate.
>>
>>46718261
Pass.
>>
>>46718183
As someone who runs a Quest that does exactly that, >>46718195 is correct.
>>
>>46718195
I disagree. Plot bloat is characteristic of megaquests, or someothersuch. Having things broken into chunks is far more digestible and less intimidating to backlog.
>>
>>46718316
>>46718195
I'm not talking down on serials though, I honestly think they're a better format than running a single storyline for hundreds of threads. An epic story is all very well, but no quests that length aren't padded with filler threads, sidequests and fetch arcs.

Oneshots are my favorite, because so much happens so quickly.

>>46718542
It's still a serial. Honestly, it's for the best since the plots are self-contained and each new interval is an opportunity for people to pick it up straight away. You can have a big meta-plot behind it all, but until that actually comes into the main body of the story it's either window-dressing or the wheels behind the scenes that you can't see.
>>
>>46716405

What the shit?!

I didn't post this. Like, I'm the guy from the BBEG quest, who originally had that title.

Weird stuff OP.
>>
>>46718585
Well, you know plot bloat in shonen manga and all, and that's usually not very welcome, right?
>>
>>46718656
Nobody cares about you namefag. Post something of content or shut the fuck up.

>>46718700
Banished Quest - Serial, Plot Bloat, or massive troll?

Anyways I would say QM burn out is the worst thing about long quests. House and Dominion, HMQ, heck Hellborne to a degree although it's coming back.

Let's not even begin discussing the post rate of MGNQ. Fucking hell.

And all the quests that completely died because after a couple years surprise! Life can change.
>>
File: Autism.jpg (38 KB, 300x553) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg
38 KB, 300x553
>>46718871

What the actual hell OP...
>>
>>46718871
>Banished Quest - Serial, Plot Bloat, or massive troll?
Yes.

But seriously, it's Sidequest the Quest. There's no real overarching plot and the objective is to explore Soma's world and get stronger. It'll keep going as long as Soma wants to showcase different aspects of his world and anon keeps biting the side tracking bait. Which we do happily cause we like that shit.

Most of time. Mines of Longia was pretty bad.
>>
Put /wqdt/ in the damn title you idiot
>>
>>46718871
You make a fairly good,n encouraging argument for formatting a quest in the serial/seasonal format.
>>
>>46719202
>Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
>>
>>46718902
It's a name, not a trip.
Anyone can make their name "The Biologist" by typing "The Biologist" in the name field.
>>
>>46716323

I'd enjoy some really old-school Golden Age sci-fi. Less militaristic, more emphasis on explorers and scientists encountering wacky pseudoscientific bullshit and weird aliens while blasting around in rockets. If I had the time I'd love to run a retro Rocket Patrol Quest or something like that
>>
>>46719447
I wish Asimov were still alive.
>>
Can you change the nature of waifu? Say you wrote a character that you weren't expecting to be waifu'd and want to make her a more sustainable character. Just steal traits you might of given to others?
>>
File: deathamongthestarsquest.gif (41 KB, 190x223) Image search: [Google]
deathamongthestarsquest.gif
41 KB, 190x223
Death among the Stars 45 is up! The Armada is under attack

>>46719523
>>
>>46719936
Just kill her later. Problem solved.
>>
>>46719936
Just flesh her out inbetween sessions.
>>
>>46720027
I see you also play Joker Quest.
>>
How many QMs here read other quests to learn from them?
>>
>>46720635

I still wonder if JQOP intended to do that. He seemed utterly thrown for a loop afterward.
>>
>>46716323
>QM question
Uh, I wouldn't, I guess.

>>46720835
Pandora Quest is up! I swear, I didn't fall asleep watching anime.
(You are the head researcher at a government facility. Your sole responsibility is to teach the world's first autonomous AI, nicknamed Pandora, about life, the world and her existence.)
>>
File: crossbone_gundam_cover.jpg (160 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
crossbone_gundam_cover.jpg
160 KB, 970x546
Mecha Space Pirate Quest is live!

>>46720807
>>
>>46720787
I do. I think if you're a QM and have never read another quest before, you're either overconfident or foolish. You need to learn from others who came before you. Find out what works and what doesn't. Plus some of the old ones are pretty much required reading, like Ruby Quest.
>>
>>46719936
What is character growth? Develop her personality, nigga.
>>
>>46721452
Make her fall in love with another character.
>>
>>46722187
I'm sorry?
>>
>>46716323
Sword and Planet
Adventure
>>
>>46721452
I tried, I really do. But for some reason I just can't muster up the enthusiasm required to follow most Quests.
>>
File: xuelsemoa.png (1 MB, 1600x1078) Image search: [Google]
xuelsemoa.png
1 MB, 1600x1078
>>46722642
>Sword and Planet
We could definitely use more Jean Girard!
>>
>>46722874
Find that niche that really fits you. Some fanfic quest of your favorite IP. Your favorite genre. Some drawquests. Hell, there are even a couple decent lewd quests if that's your thing.
>>
>>46718195
How is a serial story not a story? Are you sure you don't have your terms mixed up?
>>
>>46721922
>>
>>46724253
This is a thread for quests, not using /tg/ as a random character generator.
>>
>>46717075
>>46717142
>>46719447
The only thing I can think of would closely resemble Dead Space.

One of Humanities explorer-class ships find themselves scouring beyond the currently established "safe zone", but the limits of that zone is usually expanded with the help of people like yourself. Explorers, travellers, voyagers, you name it.

Beyond the safe zone you happen upon a pretty damaged space station, floating in the middle of the space, seemingly abandoned. The crew votes on whether or not they should check it out first or report back to the Fleet about their current position. You all decide that reporting back would be for the best, but before the helmsman man steer the ship away, its caught in something similar to a tractor beam and is forced inside the dark maw of the space station.

It's now up to you, and the crew you're with, to search the ship to find a way to free your ship and leave. Unbeknownst to you, you're not alone on the space station. Some of its defense systems are still online and who knows what other things lurk in the dark?
>>
>>46724482
It is character creation for a quest, fool.
>>
>>46724637
Check the guy's thread again, fool. He isn't doing a quest, it was literally just him using /tg/ as a random character generator.
>>
File: glitchygreen.png (198 KB, 281x278) Image search: [Google]
glitchygreen.png
198 KB, 281x278
Idea:

>>
>>46721452
>pretty much required reading, like Ruby Quest.
While I agree with everything else you said (even if I run a successful long-running quest and I've never glanced at another), reading Ruby Quest is not required to succeed as a QM.
>>
>>46722877
His work is one of my biggest inspirations
>>
>>46725070
The nature of technology that makes coding methods evolve and relics to become obsolete is very incompatible with a continually reincarnating Hero.

At least, it couldn't possibly be a human, with the time needed just to grow up.
>>
>>46725070
Its called the Matrix. Neo is the last databender.
>>
File: talk to the hand.jpg (444 KB, 1920x1010) Image search: [Google]
talk to the hand.jpg
444 KB, 1920x1010
>>46725070
So, the Matrix?
>>
>>46725126
Well, not REQUIRED, but it's one of the very, VERY few near-universally loved quests, not to mention the grandfather of all quests. You'd be a fool to skip it.
>>
>>46725346
>it's one of the very, VERY few near-universally loved quests
Quit memeing, son. RQ is only beloved by furries and ponyfags.
>>
>>46725376
Quit memeing, son. Stop hating on older quests.
>>
>>46725346
>You'd be a fool to skip it.
That's only your opinion. It carries as little worth as someone saying "You'd be a fool if you didn't play daggerfall before playing Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim" for an example.

Reading RQ is not required in any way and calling others fools for not doing it is just juvenile, AMPM.
>>
>>46725439
Well excuse me for having respect for the old guard.
>>
>>46725489
You're excused.
>>
>>46725489
>it's automatically good just because its old
Get over yourself.
>>
>>46725489
>>46725513
The delusions of Nostalgia-fags, even the ones who are blatantly just jumping on the love-bandwagon.
>>
File: STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE.jpg (121 KB, 350x377) Image search: [Google]
STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE.jpg
121 KB, 350x377
>>46725545
I'm not really a nostalgia fag, it was just a really good quest. I loved it. I love a lot of quests, no harm in enjoying things.
>>
>>46721452
You're right. Whenever I am in doubt, I reread your quest to see what I shouldn't do and it all gets better. Thanks man!
>>
>>46725582
Good idea. A very sound plan. Good luck with whatever you decide to run, anon.
>>
>>46725576
>no harm in enjoying things.
True, but when you act just like the arrogant little brat in the picture you just posted (which you are in this thread) it becomes a problem.

Stop telling people what they should or shouldn't do, and if they don't do what you said, they are wrong and I quote, "a fool"
>>
>>46725576
It's ironic you should post that picture, given how butthurt you are over people not liking what you liked
>>
>>46725576
>it was just a really good quest
Provide proof.
>>
>>46725615
It's just an expression, anon. I don't think anyone here is actually a fool. It and many other quests are very good and worth a read.
>>
>>46725646
If it's just an expression, why are you defending what you said so diligently?
>I don't think anyone here is actually a fool.
Obviously you do since some of us haven't read RQ.
>>
>>46725627
I'm just going to back out of this now. You are welcome to your opinion one way or the other.
>>46725644
All I can say is if you like character growth, surprises, fun art and a little bit of horror/mystery, read the quest. I don't want to give away any spoilers for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
>>
>>46725695
>character growth, surprises, fun art and a little bit of horror/mystery,
RQ had literally none of this.
>>
>>46725695
>I'm just going to back out of this now.
So instead of explaining yourself you're just going to leave? That's a poor attitude for a QM, tbqh family.
>>
>>46725695
>You are welcome to your opinion one way or the other.
Sure I am, I'm just an idiot if I don't agree with yours, right?

Those are your words, after all
>>
>>46720835
AMPM got BTFO his own thread. Lmao.
>>
>>46725852
Dude why do you care? Stop stirring up shit just to stir up shit. Let it go. QM drama is fucking stupid.
>>
>>46725875
He's stirring up shit, not us.
>>
>>46725933
Then ignore him. Shit can't be stirred if nobody truly gives a fuck.
>>
>>46725933
No. Shut up. You're stirring up shit. You're perpetuating it. Don't like it? Ignore it like a fucking adult, don't post links to shit like a fucking middle schooler tattling on another kid. You are no better than the QMs you hate. Drop it and stop contributing to the idiocy.
>>
>>46725951
>>46725960
I can understand it if you want to be a bitch and roll over whenever a QM calls you something derogatory, but most of us aren't like you.
>>
>>46725969
This is the internet and everybody's anon. There is no rolling over.
>>
>>46725969
>be a bitch
>BAWWW, MUH FEELINGS
What are you, fucking new here? Get some thicker skin or fuck off to a hugbox like Tumblr, you baby. Ignore it and move on.
>>
>>46725994
>everybody's anon
Not when you put on a trip.
>>
>>46725995
>BAWWW, MUH FEELINGS, MY QM WAS BTFO
That's basically you right now. Get a thicker skin, man. Your favorite QM shit himself, got told, and left like a bitch and now you're trying to defend him.

Go back to Deviantart and Tumblr.
>>
We're truly back to /qtg/ levels of shitposting.
>>
>>46726024
I'm not trying to defend anyone, I'm saying stop stirring up shit like a fucking autist and get on with your life. You're being an annoying faggot and only perpetuating the bullshit you say you hate. Go jerk off in a corner or something and come back when you've blown off some steam.
>>
>>46726038
Be sure to thank AMPM.
>>
File: COME AT ME BROTHER.png (693 KB, 623x706) Image search: [Google]
COME AT ME BROTHER.png
693 KB, 623x706
>>46726038
inb4 somebody calls you a bitch and tells you to go back to tumblr
>>
QM Defence Force to arms!

Someone is disrespecting a QM, shut them down!
>>
>>46726038
I just got here and I can safely say that responsibility for that lies with AMPM. The dude just doesn't understand the basic etiquette of posting with a trip, as opposed to posting anonymously.
>>
>>46726047
The thing is, you're doing the exact same thing right now. Stirring up shit. Stop being a hypocritical bitch and calm down.
>>
>>46726049
>>46726060
I blame the faggots that won't let shit go and get boners at drama. It happens almost daily now. /qdt/ is pretty much nothing but nonstop shitposting all the time from QMs and anons alike. No one person is at fault, EVERYONE is at fault.
>>
>>46726088
see
>>46726058
Really, it was AMPM that started this by being utterly disrespectful.
>>
>>46726116
Kek.
>>
>>46726116
We're ALL disrespectful, fuckface. That's how this whole fucking website works. You only care about the tripcode. Me, I care about not having to wade through hundreds of posts of people bitching about whichever quest or QM they decide to hate today or how shitty and overrated (old quest) was or how (quest archetype) is killing quests or /tg/ or just the nonstop torrent of idiocy that gives /qdt/ it's shit reputation. You realize the rest of the board considers this a containment thread, right? That the nonstop shitposting is why it became limited to weekends only, right?
>>
Anyways, I've been reading Promises of Power, and the QM is pretty good at failures and forcing players who want it safe to actually take decisions. Time limits and seemingly endless ways of fucking oneself over goes a long way in a diplomancer quest.
>>
Batman Quest Y/N
>>
Holy shit what the fuck happened. He only made a comment, albeit stupid, that he later backed out on.

Just let it go senpai, the people that keep arguing are the ones shitting up the thread.
>>
>>46726177
see
>>46726058
>>
>>46726196
You are a moron. Every anon is a moron. Every QM is a moron. That work better for you?
>>
>>46726208
Stop stirring up shit.
>>
>>46726192
>>46726177
Stop replying you fucking idiots. You're not going to win the argument because they don't fucking care about it. Stop being so fucking stupid and keep on biting the bait.
>>
Sometimes i write absolute garbage and go, wow, that's why I have no one reading my quest.

Then sometimes I write what I think must be gold.

And I still don't have anybody who reads my quest.

And then I get depressed.
>>
>>46726231
That's because you haven't read any other quest, fool. :^)
If you haven't read Ruby Quest, you'll NEVER be a good QM. :^)
>>
>>46726231
Hurts, but you gotta learn from mistakes. Figure out what went wrong, start again. We can't all have twenty billion players.
>>
>>46726231
Deep down you know that It's all garbo anon.
>>
File: IGNORE IT.jpg (99 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
IGNORE IT.jpg
99 KB, 700x700
>>
>>46726239
oh god it begins here, the new 'such defiance'

>how can I improve as a QM wqdt?

>read Ruby Quest, you're a fool if you haven't already
>>
>>46726257
I'll be sure to report AMPM next time. I hope you'll do the same.
>>
>>46726208
>Every QM is a moron

MUH QMouto!
>>
>>46726243
No. Sometimes what I write isn't garbage, I swear.

>>46726239
I have ready RubyQuest though. Oddly, QM behavior and the nature of railroading and whether it belonged on /tg/ was slightly more interesting than th quest itself.

>>46726242
But isn't starting again, as in quitting in the middle, wrong to the two or three people that enjoy what I wrote?
>>
>>46726284
>I have ready RubyQuest though.
Then you should be a good QM and have a successful Quest. :^)
Unless a certain someone was wrong, but that can't be, right? :^)
>>
>>46726284
Explain on twitter or w/e that you feel the current quest is a failure and you want to try anew.
>>
>>46726284
Lots of QMs start over. If you're not enjoying your own quest then it'll only suffer because of it. QM burnout is like the #1 quest killer.
>>
>>46726189
N. Would quickly descend into Batwank or just outright murder of every villain because /tg/ fails to see the entire point.
>>
>>46726308
>advising a QM to drop his quest

you monster
>>
>>46720027
I did that but most of my players ragequit
>>
Imagine that you die and you are given two options afterwards.

>Becoming the "GM" of a soul and controlling most of his life choices but being unable to foresee the future and how will those choices develop

>Being reborn once more, not knowing that some other soul is choosing for you.

Which one would you choose?
>>
>>46727549
GM for sure

That sounds like a very interesting system. I think it would be a good story to either be the GM who accidentally made his 'player' self-aware, or the player who somehow found out he has a GM.
>>
>>46727549
>>Becoming the "GM" of a soul and controlling most of his life choices but being unable to foresee the future and how will those choices develop
Sounds like real life.
>>
>>46727671
Not really, it would be mostly like a visual novel in which you choose for a soul who isn't yours.
>>
>>46727700
>Not really
Really, it sounds almost identical to real life except the "choosing a soul" part.
>>
>>46725615
>getting this butthurt at standard chan mannerisms
>>
>>46727831
>Trying to open the shitposting session again
Gtfo.
>>
>>46727869
>Responding.
>>
>>46727869
I forgot to update.
>>46727927
>Responding to a response
>>
How big of a cast can the Antagonist side be in a quest without going overboard?
>>
>>46728338
>Real villain
>Battle couple subordinates
>Evil church + ministers
>Quirky miniboss squad
Past this point it'll get too bloated
>>
>>46720976
I am 100% certain he has no idea what's going on anymore
>>
>>46728416
>Also, I look back at the combat log, sometimes, and I wonder what I was thinking when the six-on-six fight started.
Yeah, I can understand why you think that.
>>
>>46728406
>>Real villain
Check!
>>Battle couple subordinates
Added an idea and Check!
>>Evil church + ministers
>>Quirky miniboss squad
Not Check. Back to the drawing board. Thanks anon!
>>
>>46728524
>Not Check. Back to the drawing board.
What.
>>
Running a drawquest is fun, you can practice while telling a story
>>
>>46724551
>The only thing I can think of would closely resemble Dead Space

Oh boy does that say a lot about how far the optimism has been drained out of science fiction sense the Hugo Gernsbeck days.
>>
>>46726038
>We're truly back to /qtg/ levels of shitposting.
I read /qtg/ to feel better about my own quest.
>>
>>46726038
We're back to /qtg/ levels of shitposting without any of the positives that came with /qtg/
Sasuga /wqdt/
>>
We'll be running again today, stay tuned for the updates.
>>
>>46728416

It's basically a high-level D&D fight. Past the copious amounts of purple prose, both sides are taking turns to hit each other. The problem is that they all play like a mixture of classes, so shit is confusing.

You get stuff like Rook and Armaros taking a dirt nap for nearly the entire fight.
>>
As a Eurofag what time do you think is the best to debut a quest?
>>
>>46729538
At Midnight and run for 6-8 hours. Basically, fuck up your sleep schedule for the best results.
>>
>>46729538
Probably around now. Americans are up and Euros are still up for a bit.
>>
>>46729538
Two examples:
>>46729563
Is for middle of the week.
>>46729620
Is for weekends.
>>
/wqdt/, what is your experience with players attaining setting-altering or similarly reality altering powers? Powers that alter one aspect of a world, or greater, but are unique.
>>
>>46729889
they bitch about not having anything to challenge them and then complain when they encounter anything they can't just wish away.
>>
>>46729908
>>46729889
And on the other end of the spectrum they bitch about being too weak to do anything.
>>
>>46729908
>>46729948
And this is wrong? Being overpowered or being unable to do anything is boring as fuck. Imagine playing something like "God game" where you go around and try to beat up bandits and just wish them away. Or you play crusader quest where you are a unarmed squire that has to either run or die. Both fucking suck.
>>
>>46729977
That crusader one sounds interesting as hell. Better to run as an SoS fecht, though.
>>
>>46729977
I asked because I was worried about exactly this feeling.

How about the world altering power has limited use per day, or week, or requires some sort of payment based limiter?
>>
>>46730064
>Squire, do as i say and fetch me wine.
>No guys let's do this instead.
>Executed for insubordination.

Real fun right there.
>>
>>46730087
Nah, if you leave any kind of loophole when it comes to powers your players will find it. But world-altering powers at a specific location maybe? The ability to bend space to create portals, but only at the center of the deadly volcano Abazoratos.
>>
File: CapesofRainCityOP_0.gif (83 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
CapesofRainCityOP_0.gif
83 KB, 500x708
Running Capes of Rain City in about 6 hours, hoping to get a 12 hour session barring any major shenanigans.
>>
I need the loopholes there, though.
I use them too. It wouldn't be fair to restrict them from the players when the setting depends on them, espeically if they discover how to use them and don't mind making friends with everyone else who abuses them.

Specific locations enchanted to function with the proper talents present are common, though the power in mind could be weakened or reinforced by these, which isn't something I'd considered. Thanks.
>>
>>46730266
>>46730158
Nearly every time.
>>
File: greater tumble dryer fiend.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
greater tumble dryer fiend.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
A quest focusing on the failed life of a magically inept scholar mage who discovers something special and sets forth for adventure.
Or
A quest related to hunting monsters in space with mechs with a focus on mercenary lifestyle choices and a semi-serious tone.

Which do you think has the least longevity? I'll run that one.
>>
>>46730087
>>46730158
I sort of agree, but isn't one of the greatest appeals of battle style shows and comics the ability of characters to work around their own limits to win? I'm just saying, having the players discover a way to cheat could make for a climactic moment. And you can always have something prevent them from doing it more often in the future
>>
>>46730461
Both has equal opportunity to be just as long as the other and they sound very much like sandbox quests, which is almost never good. Give them a proper goal each.
>>
>>46730507
I'd prefer to have goals selected during the introduction phases, there's about four for the first and roughly three for the latter.
>>
>>46730461
>A quest focusing on the failed life of a magically inept scholar mage who discovers something special and sets forth for adventure.

If you make the goal of the mage to undo whatever fucked him up. Maybe he accidentally became a spooky ghost at night in exchange for great abilities, but he's found a book that might kinda help him reverse the curse but keep the powers being spoopy gave him.
>>
>>46730534
Then right now they don't have much of a plot hook without a proper goal.
>>
>>46730595
Restoration. Yep, that's solid. Thank you anon.
>>
A pair of siblings are the BBEG of the quest. What is your reaction?
>>
>>46730666
Kill one. Keep the other one alive but powerless.

Woop woop ya fuck, this is what you get for being evil :^)
>>
>>46730666
Well Satan I think you should have them wear matching garb with contrasting elements of color.
Red and blue or blue and orange, for instance.
>>
i got an itch for any recent cop/detective quest. will you help me laddies?
>>
>>46730740
There are none.
>>
>>46730740
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Old%20Bone%20Quest
>>
>>46730740
>>46730753
Samefag shill to the max, Grim.
>>
>>46730740
>>46730753
The answer came exactly 1 minute and 1 second later. I smell samefagging.
>>
>>46730793
>>46730765
It wasn't, I had suptg up so it took like no time, but you're not going to believe me anyways so whatever.
>>
>>46730814
Screencap it or I'm calling obvious samefag and a very pathetic attempt to shill your quest.
>>
File: f33.png (34 KB, 617x449) Image search: [Google]
f33.png
34 KB, 617x449
>>46730793
>>46730753
nope.
>>46730753
is it gud?
>>
>>46730233
>in about 6 hours
Welp, I guess I'll be participating when I wake up tomorrow before going to work.
>>
File: Whatever.png (55 KB, 1365x649) Image search: [Google]
Whatever.png
55 KB, 1365x649
>>46730829
inb4 photoshop

>>46730843
>is it gud?
No idea. I just knew it exists so I linked it.
>>
>>46730843
>is it gud?
It's what you asked for.
>>
>>46730843
>>46730862
What do you know, 1 minute answers do happen.
>>
>>46730862
Don't answer to shitposters you moron.
>>
>>46730862
>>46730869
>urban fantasy

not gonna bother.

Any ACTUAL human detective work?
>>
>>46730909
Not that I know of, no. Sorry man.
>>
>>46730909
>Any ACTUAL human detective work?
When you run it.
>>
Rolled 2, 10, 5, 5 = 22 (4d10)

>>
>>46731015
what was that for?
>>
>>46731021
Perception check.
You failed.
>>
>>46730909
I ACTUALLY got a plan for a detective quest that involved investigating the trading cards game community, something in between Sherlock Holmes and Yu-gi-oh, but designing the custom card game turned out to be somewhat difficult and I wasn't producing the cards at the rhythm I wanted, so I dropped the idea.
>>
>>46730909
Neo-noir High School Detective Quest, (y/n)?
>>
>>46731166
>High School
No. If I want a Noir detective story its going to be with adults in the city.
>>
>>46730740
There was Badge and Bullet
>>
>>46731166
What the fuck does neo-noir even mean?
For that matter, the fuck is afrofuturism?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

Just a test
>>
>>46730909
>>46731179
>detective quest
The problem with this is that the detective/mystery genre relies on the characters automagically figuring things out when the mystery/crime is so confusing that the average reader can't figure it out beforehand. Except with quests, the reader *is* the one trying to figure things out.

The way I see it, each case would be one of the following:
A) Everyone figures it out basically instantly. The QM made the clues too blatant.
B) Nobody figures it out, ever, because the QM made the clues too hidden or the case too obtuse.
C) Nobody figures it out, but the QM posts as anon with the solution.
>>
>>46731307
I choose C. Let's go.
>>
>>46731345
>C

Why even make it a quest, then? There's no reason to run a quest if the players don't fucking matter.

Shit like this makes me irrationally angry.
>>
>>46731307
What if some people figure it out, and others don't, and then when the plot is revealed people just shout that they knew it all along. You know, like a story
>>
>>46731219
neo-noir = same as original noir, but made today
afrofuturism = niggers in space or equivalent afrocentric sci-fi
>>
>>46731307
>naysaying
They said you couldn't make a movie with sound work either, they said nobody would ever go to see it. But that didn't stop them from trying until eventually one of them was decent, and that movie was Ghostbusters 2!
>>
>>46731307
>the detective/mystery genre relies on the characters automagically figuring things out when the mystery/crime is so confusing that the average reader can't figure it out beforehand

Have you ever heard of fair play detective fiction and Knox's Decalogue? It's hard to write, but evidently possible.
>>
I'll run a sci-fantasy noir quest at the weekend, if that's enough. It's got mystery, but it's more of a spy thing -- you'll be trying to figure things out so you don't fuck everything up, but you don't *have* to figure things out.
>>46731307
Shit.

What about -- hints that can become more or less blatant depending on what actions the players take?
>>
>>46731360
I don't mind being given an answer. But of course there's more to it than that.

If you tell the players you're posting as anon ahead of time, and that there are repercussions for supporting anonQM's post, then you've perfectly mimicked the particular brand of detective novel drama among the questers themselves.

Mind you, the QM never actually has to post as an anon with a plan. Not even once.
>>
>>46731179
You should really watch Brick.
>>
>>46731437
Alright that does look interesting. I'll keep it in mind.
>>
>>46731219
>For that matter, the fuck is afrofuturism?
In the future, Africa isn't a complete shithole and actually matters more than a land to plunder by Chinese.
>>
File: Smug overload.jpg (42 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
Smug overload.jpg
42 KB, 448x595
>>46731469
Sounds more like fantasy than science fiction.
>>
>>46731367
>when the plot is revealed

Right, because all mysteries are suddenly solved magically when the narrator explains the plot. It's not like the main character (In this case, the player character for the players) has to figure the mystery out or anything.

The plot wouldn't get revealed until the mystery is solved. The reason this works as a non-interactive media is because the writer can pace things properly, keep things interesting, and knows where the next clue is- so they can move the MC there.

But with interactive media, the MC is controlled by the players. If the players get lost, the QM has a few options. Some might be good, like having their plucky-yet-naive assistant notice something or come up with a new idea, but most of them are terrible- like ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL and piloting the MC toward the next clue like they're a compass pointing directly toward santa's anus.
>>
File: 1406148959038.jpg (158 KB, 796x464) Image search: [Google]
1406148959038.jpg
158 KB, 796x464
>>46731489
Yes, yes, you are very clever and witty.
>>
>>46731505
He couldn't not make the joke. I know I couldn't have resisted. It's just too good a set-up.
>>
>>46731522
It's not exactly a good joke, though. Easy shit is still shit.
>>
>>46731560
You're just jelly you didn't post the joke. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>46731581
You know, I've never understood the reasoning behind making these jokes.

No one's going to find it particularly funny, except maybe newfags who haven't seen those jokes yet. It's just repetition ad nauseum. It'd only be funny if you'd done it in some genuinely clever way, or the set up was *really* good. But...it wasn't.
>>
>>46731627
see
>>46731581
>>
>>46731627
Please don't set them off. You know this is enough to spark a hundred posts of shitposting.
>>
>>46731646
see
>>46731627
>>
>>46731690
see
>>46731581
The sooner you stop being jealous of others success, the sooner you can forge your own.
>>
>>46725209
>>46725220
Can't there be more than one Kung Fu Action Jesus?
>>
>>46719936
>Just steal traits you might of given to others?

I feel like as the quest goes on she should just develop. Unless you're writing only flat characters.
>>
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19 KB, 320x299
>>46719936
>What can change the nature of a waifu?

>Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a waifu, can
>>
File: Afrocentrist Future.png (4 MB, 4500x2234) Image search: [Google]
Afrocentrist Future.png
4 MB, 4500x2234
>>46716323
>QM
It would have to take place in some sort of bizarre future in which not only did the EU, China, and the USA collapse into their disparate elements, but Africa also united into a couple of larger federations/empires.

Basically, it would have to be entirely unrealistic.
>>
>>46731360
The players never matter except as a way to witness the author's brilliance.
>>
>>46716323

How well can players take punishment, do you think?

I think a lot of us like to say that players are entitled or immature or whatever, and throw a fit anytime there are consequences, but in general I think we're not that bad.

But is there a line that a QM shouldn't cross? Are there some characters that shouldn't be killed, or options that shouldn't be removed, for the sake of the quest? Or should players always take what they're given and make the best of it, instead of whining?

This is just an opinion based question, but also I'm wondering how far I can go before I lose all my players on /tg/.
>>
>>46732123
>African Union don't real
Its been in talks for a while now, only a matter of time lad
>>
>>46732182
All I can really say is be an asshole and you'll start losing folks left and right, unless the crowd you draw in are assholes in the first place.
>>
>>46732182
>is there a line that a QM shouldn't cross?

The Shadow Master Line.
>>
whoops.

But yeah we're running.
>>46732108
>>
>>46732209
The African Union has about as much power as the EU, though. Its member states wouldn't actually unite to work together on major projects nor is it effective as a peace keeping force.

However, the East African Federation could become a thing.
>>
>>46732243

Could you summarize for someone who hasn't read the quest?
>>
>>46732288
Fucking up very very hard when it comes to railroading.

>>
>>46732182
I think players will whine if they feel like they had no chance to save the person that got killed off.

If you run a quest for 150 threads and then in the opening of a thread there suddenly appears a enemy that'll kill you and your much beloved waifu, and the only choice you have is either to fight or run and you've told them multiple times that this enemy seems to strong, leading to your players choosing running and then your waifu gets gunned down like the degenerate she is, and after that you reveal that if you'd fought she would have been fine since you perfectly countered his powers or something.

That's taking it to far. Don't take agency from players and they will be decently happy.
>>
File: 1445033327689.jpg (11 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1445033327689.jpg
11 KB, 413x395
>>46732316

Oh, wait I DO remember that.

>>46732368

I guess agency is the main thing, but if the waifu or whatever the players are most attached to is lost due to consequences, would players stick around for vengeance or make other meaning in the quest or just leave? Obviously both can happen, I just wonder about /tg/
>>
>>46732527
>would players stick around for vengeance
JQ had that happen, yes.
>>
>>46732278
>American talking as if he knew anything about EU politics, fails
>>
>>46732592
JQ lost a lot of players from that though, but at least the quest survived. I feel like that was only an exception though.
>>
>>46732721
JQ is an oddity in that normally it'd have crashed and burned like five times over if it was any other quest.
>>
>>46732711
>The EU has no military power worth mentioning
>EU projects amount to passing laws on how many children Muslims are allowed to rape per day.
>>
>>46732792
>>46732711
>>46732278
>African nations holding it together by themselves
>Add another country barely holding on to the mix

Now I wanna see what the hell type of war something like that would spark.

EU, America, Russia, African Union
>>
>>46732792
You're embarassing yourself. Do stop.
>>
>>46730666
Kill one, fuck the other while wearing the skinned face of their sibling.
>>
>>46732288
He aged up the loli
>>
>>46732792
>EU's representative for Human Right's comes from a land where people are stoned to death on a daily/weekly basis.
Let's face it, EU is shit and the sooner people leave it to wither and die, the sooner the world can become a better place.
>>
>>46732923
The Monster did fucking what now?
>>
>>46732882
Easy, Ed Gein.
>>
>>46732944
Loli daughteru went into a magic gate.
Loli daughteru became an adult.
The MC, previously the loli's pet and familiar, falls in love with his now adult daughteru.
>>
>>46732944
He aged up the loli.

And then turned her into a mindless cockslut
>>
File: EU has no gunz.png (64 KB, 1684x903) Image search: [Google]
EU has no gunz.png
64 KB, 1684x903
>>46732854
>Only 7.1% of the EU's military force is prepared for long-term deployment
>Germany has essentially no military at all despite being the biggest economy in Europe.
>Most states in the US have a national guard larger than the vast majority of European militaries.
>>
File: Eclipsed Moon Logo School Days.png (2 MB, 1600x867) Image search: [Google]
Eclipsed Moon Logo School Days.png
2 MB, 1600x867
Eclipsed Moon Quest Episode 127 resumes.

>>46733005
>>
>>46733030
>>46733037
>my childhood monstrous magic familiar is now my husband because magic
THAT'S IT. That's the quest I'll run!
>>
>>46733073
Just make sure the loli stays a loli
>>
>>46733037
>>46733030
That hurt me more then it should.

>>46733038
Is Germany even allowed a military? I know that's a meme most likely but I know fuck all besides EU says 'what is military budget?' Then again we're fucking crazy with our budget

>>46733073
DON'T DO IT
>>
QMs, where do you find appropiate images for your quests?
>>
>>46733125
Hours upon hours of browsing ArtStation, Deviantart, Tumblr, and Concept Art World.
>>
>>46733125
the only guy I actually know who runs a quest uses cropped Smut 90% of the time.
>>
>>46733109
Sure, I can't imagine aging up for a monster. It has to be a fluke; not like its a relationship designed to sustain itself in equality or anything insipid like that.

>>46733124
Just try and stop me!
>>
>>46733038
>American sees everything in terms of guns
Not exactly surprising.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.