[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone on /tg/ have an interest in old/dead TCGs and games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Digimon_TCG_001.jpg (203 KB, 1024x711) Image search: [Google]
Digimon_TCG_001.jpg
203 KB, 1024x711
Does anyone on /tg/ have an interest in old/dead TCGs and games?
For some reason they've really become an obsession for me because the fact that they are usually decent games with unique twists that may have been the reason they failed.
Also I remember playing some as a kid.
Does anyone know any way to play old dead ones online or do I need to scour stores for shitty 50 cent starter packs?
>>
>>46711192
I had some cards for the Digimon TCG when I was a kid, but never got to play due to not having any local scene.
>>
>>46711384
Is that what usually kills these games? Nobody plays it, so nobody ever has an interest to play it, then it dies?
>>
>>46711425
Yeah, it is difficult to break into the market when MtG, Pokemon, and Yugioh are so well established.
LCGs and digital card games seem to be more successful ways to market new games now.
>>
>>46711192
.hack//ENEMY and Digimon, mostly.
Got plenty of cards for the former and a few for the latter.
>>
File: METW clouds.jpg (14 KB, 228x300) Image search: [Google]
METW clouds.jpg
14 KB, 228x300
>>46711192

I still love METW, but I haven't played a game in almost 8 years, and I'm still missing a few cards in my collection.

It's by far, the best CCG I've ever played, but I can see why it didn't do well commercially, it's really complex for a card game, almost more like a board game played with cards than a traditional CCG like magic.

I can run through the basic rules and strategy if anyone's interested.
>>
>>46711682
Well what game is it? I've never heard of a card game so complex that it's basically a board game. Is there a way to play it online?
>>
I still have a collection of kickass Duel Masters and One Piece cards.
Too bad those tcgs are dead would live to sell them for a decent ptize
>>
>>46711682

I would like to know more.

When I first clicked, I thought this thread was gonna be about stuff like Middle Earth, On The Edge, Rage, etc., and not... Digimon.
>>
>>46711892
It could be about those
>>
File: tkhss.jpg (49 KB, 287x400) Image search: [Google]
tkhss.jpg
49 KB, 287x400
>>46711920

Sounds good.

Was Spellfire as bad as I remember?
>>
>>46711799

METW is how it usually goes by, which stands for "Middle Earth The Wizards". It's an old Iron Crown Enterprises game.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to play it online.

>>46711892

At least in the main game (later expansions changed this a bit) Each player (usually 2) plays one of the 5 wizards. You start off with a bunch of characters, like link related.

http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/thumb/7/73/METW_-_Aragorn_II.jpg/180px-METW_-_Aragorn_II.jpg

Your task is to prepare for Sauron's onlslaught as best you can by running around and gathering up resources like items

http://crystal-cdn4.crystalcommerce.com/photos/876482/large/SwordofGondolin.jpg

And factions (armies) http://crystal-cdn1.crystalcommerce.com/photos/876423/large/MenofLebennin.jpg

You do this, and you score points. First to get to 20 can call a meeting of the White Council, and after one more turn of sudden death, whomever has the highest point total wins. Unless someone finds and destroys the One Ring, which is an instant win and trumps all other victory conditions.

But you can't play your cards just anywhere. Your characters have to run around to sites, http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/thumb/6/6b/METW_-_Moria.jpg/180px-METW_-_Moria.jpg to be able to play the overwhelming majority of your cards. Items can only be played at sites which have that category of item. Most factions can only be played at a single, specific site.

Along the way though, there are hazards, stuff that isn't directly under your opponents control, but just represents the dangers running around in Middle Earth. You have two major types of hazards, creatures which can attack you and beat up your characters http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/C2IAAOxydwZR56x-/$T2eC16FHJFwFFZ3uQ%283hBR56%29-Q8NQ~~60_35.JPG

1/2
>>
>>46711799
>>46711892

And corruption, which can cause them to turn evil. http://s.ecrater.com/stores/138763/4b157d1925035_138763n.jpg If your wizard gets killed or corrupted, you're out of the game, and any character killed or corrupted is really bad. There are both resources and hazards which can makethe hazards stronger or weaker, or easier/harder to play, since like the resources, most hazards are keyed to certain locations or types of locations: Nazgul hang out around Mordor and its adjacent environs. Dragons are mostly in the norhteast around Withered Heath, awakened plants stick to the wilderness, whereas hostile men are usually in human areas like Gondor or Rohan or the Anduin dales.

And that's the very basic overview, there's a lot of strategy within it, and a bunch of rules about what constitutes a legal deck I'm skipping over, but that's the basis of the game, try to gather up resources faster than your opponent is doing the same, using hazard cards to fuck each other over.
>>
>>46712125
>>46712143

Thank you, anon. I might look into this.
>>
>>46712366

Just warning you, it's very hard to find cards these days, and even harder to find people to play. The game's last expansion was in 1998.
>>
>>46711192
I vaguely remember this game from childhood. Played it maybe twice. Any place to find the cards online and try it again?
>>
>>46711192
Digimon was a pretty bad game.
Only deads I still play are vs system and shaman King. Sold dbz collection long ago.
>>
>>46713948
What is the VS system like?
>>
>>46714146
Short answer is MTG, but lands are instant spells, etc and are colorless, and everything can be played as a land.
IMO it's super fun, a bit deterministic, but complexity provides tons of options.
Golden age (all sets) is what i play most of with games generally ending or being decided by turn 4. The way most teams play is very flavorful. Fuck vs2pcg, it's a shittier wow.
>>
>>46714626
*Hyper competitive golden can get old real quick, so focusing on fun interactions or 4v1 events is best.*
>>
Call of Cthulhu LCG counts as one?
It looks interesting and I would like to know more about it but since FFG dropped the support I guess that is not a possiblity.
also what does qualify as a dead game? a game without company support or just something that people in your area do not pick up anymore?
>>
Was WoW TCG good?
>>
>>46715213
I love it, but I was also hardcore raiding during its release so take it with a grain of salt. I feel kinda bad for potential newcomers because most places are sold out so your selection is pretty limited compared to the old guard.
>>
>>46715793
I heard there was some sort of Archenemy-style raid decks where one player plays the raid and the others are the raiders. Were those any fun?
>>
>>46715155
It all depends on what you're referring to. Some games are in production without OP material from the company. An oop game is essentially dead, while your last example is a dead scene and not a comment on its production status or op material.
>>
File: pp32707-wibisono-kei-poster.jpg (66 KB, 473x709) Image search: [Google]
pp32707-wibisono-kei-poster.jpg
66 KB, 473x709
I still try and play L5R on the regular, but that died just 6 months ago. I picked up a fair amount of the Xmen TCG (from around the first move) back in the day too.
>>
>>46715895
My take will be colored by nostalgia (I was autistic enough to play against the NPC dungekn decks alone when I couldn't find games), but I really enjoyed the PvP raid decks. Iirc, it was actually a borrowed concept from vs system with it's giant size Galactus deck. It may be hard to gather enough people, but those were some memorable games.
Most of the time you wouldn't want to play your t1 decks (they ruin the flavor of the encounter) unless you're allowing the DM to customize as well. The dungeon decks can be light fun when utilizing the basic class decks and offer a small sense of progression.
>>
>>46711192
I loved the Monster Rancher card game, the one in the GB and PSX game. Some guy on tumblr remade all the cards but I can't bring myself to pay to get them printed.
>>
>>46716146
You got a link bro?

Also, again I ask does anyone know any sites that let you play old games online?

I have OCTGN and I found a site that let's you play some but its kinda shitty and slow
>>
>>46716256
Here's what he sent me when I asked for the files. Can't find his post about it at the moment.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_SGfRUV7YPVFg2b1dVVlBGZnpEUmVxZkZiOXFjVlpmUjU0/view?usp=docslist_api
>>
>>46712404
Why was this game made so long ago?
>>
>>46717678

Probably it was ICE using their then extant access to Tolkien material to try to cash in on the MTG craze, that was just starting up then.

But that's just a guess.
>>
I have a huge collection of Ani-Mayhem. Probably the only anime-themed CCG during its time, so it survived for 3 or so series. It was put out by Pioneer and used their anime licenses, so the first series had Ranma, BGC, Tenchi and El hazard and was awesome. 2nd series consisted of the lesser known anime series, so it was meh. 3rd series was DBZ and that series blew everything out of the water power scale wise. The one aspect that saved it for me was that you could play it by yourself, so it didn't matter if nobody else you knew played it. But it had a healthy community on usenet and I did lots of trades by mail.

I also picked up a few packs of ST:TNG, Marvel and so others.
>>
>>46711192
I enjoyed Magi-Nation, although I think I have exactly one starter deck and the card that came with the GBC video game. Someday, I hope to be able to hunt down some more cards and actually collect them. Someday...

I also have a decent number of Dinosaur King TCG cards (interesting design), and I randomly found some Sailor Moon TCG cards which I apparently still have. I've played the Digimon TCG you have there, along with the physical Monster Rancher TCG and Harry Potter TCG.

I'm pretty sure there are some card programs which just give you some basic functions (turning sideways, adding counters, moving wherever you way) and manage the deck, but you can upload images and name the cards whatever you want. I don't recall what program it might be, though. It should work for some random card game.

>>46716146
>I loved the Monster Rancher card game, the one in the GB and PSX game.
That one was fun. My only real disappointment was how strong some decks were in comparison to others; I found maybe two deck types which could beat absolutely every other deck type I came across, and only really had trouble with each other.

It was still fun putting together random decks and seeing how they worked. I remembered assembling a deck focused around boosting up the Dragon Combo attack for a final kill, since that attack still dealt damage on a dodge.
>>
File: mohammedjyhad.jpg (27 KB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
mohammedjyhad.jpg
27 KB, 300x217
I was a huge White Wolf fag when I was a teenager and really got into Jyhad/VTES and Rage. Still have all my cards but haven't played either in probably 20 years at least.

Rage was a great beer & pretzels game for the most part, probably the first CCG I remember that had foils. Never did get a complete set though. Last couple of expansions are extremely hard to come by and expensive now.

Jyhad was probably the best multiplayer CCG I ever played, decks could get pretty huge and there wasn't really a limit on duplicates you could have in your library. I use to play it a lot at game nights at the local comic shop and it actually seemed like it was slightly more popular than Magic for a while, at least with my group of friends.
>>
File: chaotic.jpg (29 KB, 535x188) Image search: [Google]
chaotic.jpg
29 KB, 535x188
Anyone remember Chaotic?
>>
>>46711192
All I do is buy and play dead games because I make up my own game ideas based on what was cool or tweaking systems.

Digimon in America is a lot different than in Japan gaming scene. I actually prefer it over Pokemon TCG, no energy bullshit.
>>
>>46721296
I remember the cartoon, and I played the game exactly once with my roommate.

I didn't quite get how different printings of the same card could have different power values, but the strategic placement of cards to fight in orders was pretty neat.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.