[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Endless Legend tabletop headcanon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
Greetings, fellow fa/tg/uys!

Endless Legend is a great 4X game, but in the game itself we are given only the bare minimum of the setting. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xD9UkJQAiw)

I think EL would make a kickass setting for a tabletop game, but the setting has to be expanded upon before it's remotely playable.

So, how about we start fleshing out our EL heancanon right here and now? Answer my questions, or ask your own!

My questions (i'll post them in packs):

The Dust (ancient nanomachines)
> How pervasive is it, exactly? Is it present in the bodies of the commoners?
> How do the alchemists and mages interact with Dust? How do they "feed" commands into it without having acess to Endless machinery?
> Sure, the big states use Dust as an exchange medium. What about common folk? Do they use Dust as well, or do the various states use Dust-equivalent coins for small transactions?
>>
>>46695645

> Is there an Auriga-encompassing Dust-network?
> The Enldess sure have lef a lot of junk on Auriga. What kind of mechanisms do the locals encounter often?
>>
>>46695645

> Sure, the big states use Dust as an exchange medium. What about common folk? Do they use Dust as well, or do the various states use Dust-equivalent coins for small transactions?

Perhaps everyone uses some sort of command that causes Dust to congeal into convienient coins or at least small cubes?
>>
I think it would be the best to treat Dust as the magical currency it is described as in the game. As far as I know the whole Endless thing and their machinery is a mystery to the common folks.
>>
>>46696087

I think it's safe to assume that every government heavily polices everything Dust-related. All Endless artifacts must pass a state inspection and be declared safe. The ones that have strategic value get confiscated.
>>
>>46696087
Many things Dust related are a mystery even for the spacefaring civilizations of Endless Space until you're well into one or more tech trees.
>>
>>46696812

I think that ES deals with more global aspects of Dust.

It's one thing to use Dust to accelerate a chemical reaction (EL level), and another - to change comsological constants or create complex self-regulating systems from thin air (late-game ES level).

For Endless Legend we need something more hands-on. (Also, no way in hell I give players acess to cosmological constants again any time soon.)
>>
>>46695645
>Dust
>Ancient nanomachines

No.
>>
>>46697013

Alternative explanation, please.
>>
>>46697099
not him but Dust seems to be more of a reactive naturally occurring planetary thing to me. Kinda like gold dust in real life.
>>
>>46697118
Also dust is described as "magic" and performs stuff which is strictly non-explainable with nanomachines.
>>
>>46697155
Maybe its just a naturally occurring element that channels magic really well.
>>
>>46697118

This really depends on how we percieve Endless Legend. If we want to consider it a piece of Endless Space, we gotta go with "Dust is a phenomenon that can be encountered everywhere in the galaxy, constists of small particles, and has a lot of practical (and other) applications".

If we for some reason want to make EL separate, we might make Dust just some sort of alchemical catalyst... oh wait.
>>
File: endless space.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
endless space.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>46697013
But they have been established to be exactly that for a long time.
>>
>>46697179
That sounds fair yeah.
>>
>>46697155

Clarke's third Law? The Endless made laws of physics their bitch a long, long time ago. Their nanomachines can do that and then some.
>>
>>46697183
>If we want to consider it a piece of Endless Space

They do exactly this with the entire Vaulter storyline.

You find out Vaulters are on the planet do to a ship crashing. by the end of the quest line you repair the ship and venture back into space before the planet dies.[/soiler]
>>
the game has a marvelous soundtrack.
>>
>>46697227
Please provide the evidence.
>>
>>46697255

I know. Believe it or not, I actually played the game itself. I'm speaking about the GM's stance on the issue.
>>
File: 0a6da05b79f07d1e25fe609390c81.jpg (42 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
0a6da05b79f07d1e25fe609390c81.jpg
42 KB, 500x419
>>46697013
I have some bad news for you...
>>
>>46697268

Let's start off with http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Dust

While I'm checking the materials for something blatantly law-breaking, please provide evidence of "magical effects" that are >strictly non-explainable.
>>
>>46697339
>Endless Space

Nice try!
>>
>>46697359

So, basically you're for separating the two. That's a valid position, but it makes the whole discussion moot.
>>
Instead of calling it "dust" just give it another name. Some like corundum, and explain it comes from the planet's core or the remains of magical blue cat fey from under a giant tree or something. Replace science with whatever babble you need.
>>
thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBI4aSzw0E
>>
>>46697557
>not posting the best one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHyw9agRCZQ
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.