[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: SA_2015_03_23_1[1].png (317 KB, 425x403) Image search: [Google]
SA_2015_03_23_1[1].png
317 KB, 425x403
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Spells edition. What are your favorite spells? Martials not allowed.
>>
>>46689138
>have a staff with a hook on the end
>decides to use hand to reach into the obvious trap for treasure instead

I thought elves were smart.
>>
Other 9gag approved topics for discussion

>4 suits of plate
>bags of rats
>martials aren't interesting (meme, but true)
>disadvantage into super advantage
>6d20 down the line
>>
>>46689138
It's hard to tell. I'm split between Faerie Fire, Misty Step, or Prestigidation for pure fun.
>>
>>46689186
You forgot
>my opinions on class balance are facts!
>>
>>46689138
I'm torn between pushing attack and cunning action
>>
I know the bag of rats is a meme, but I really do like the idea of some sort of fiendish warlock or death obsessed monk carrying around cages of starving rats that he or she smashes in times of great need, letting the lifeblood of the innocent creature wash over him or her and restore his wounds.

As a DM, I'd allow it.
>>
Any Ninja-ish kits out for 5e yet?
>>
>>46689396
>ninja-ish kits
>what is Assassin Rogue
>what is Path of Shadow Monk
>>
>>46689186
>4 suits of plate
What? Like diamonds/hearts/clubs/spades?
>>
File: 1422400828288.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1422400828288.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>46689186
>tfw you started the 6d20 down the line meme months ago as a joke when people were getting all flustered over rolling for stats and someone keeps reviving it every few weeks
>>
>>46689396
wot4e monk or draconic sorcerer are very ninja like
>>
>>46689439
But I started it anon, like a year ago.
>>
>>46689138
Phantasmal Killer.

Dr. Jonathan Crane up in this bitch.
>>
whats the most OP race/class?
>>
File: 100 percent correct.gif (792 KB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
100 percent correct.gif
792 KB, 440x300
I'm thinking of making a LE Dragonborn Fighter, still don't know if i would go into Champion and go pure Fighter 20 or go Fighter 2 / Wizard 18.
What colour has the best flavour for someone pretending to be exiled from his homeland by corrupt nobles, when in fact he got cocky and failed a coup?
>>
>>46689492
Hombrew race/homebrew class.
>>
>>46689492
alt human 20 bard (stealing spells like simulacrum and wish from the wizard list)
>>
File: ancientmemehistory.gif (1 MB, 2875x1331) Image search: [Google]
ancientmemehistory.gif
1 MB, 2875x1331
>>46689439
>>46689456
Earliest reference I can find. If I recall, i had started joking about it in the thread prior to that when someone was discussing the superior method to roll stats. But who knows, maybe someone else thought of it before me.

>>46689492
Human (variant)
3 warlock
17 Sorc
>>
>>46689501
Green or Blue. Maybe Red if you're playing the hubristic angle.

Treachery over brute force.
>>
File: 1381411791382.png (579 KB, 736x560) Image search: [Google]
1381411791382.png
579 KB, 736x560
>>46689530
Back when I was unemployed and had time to start these threads. Mmmm good shit.
>>
>>46689422
In Death House their are four suits of plate mail in the attic. Que angry arguments about weather its usable by players
>>
>>46689576
Cheese pizza? What is this, /ck/?
>>
>>46689537
Hmm i can dig Red/Blue, but i think of RP'ing then like Turians from Mass Effect - the colours have actual effect in society.

Maybe something like Silver
>>
File: savedoffarchive.png (583 KB, 736x560) Image search: [Google]
savedoffarchive.png
583 KB, 736x560
Would a passive aura that forces con saves or 1d6 necrotic damage to all creatures , friendly or foey within 30 feet of the aura user be OP? It doesn't seem OP to me.

>>46689576
While I don't doubt your unemployment, I do doubt that you started a meme if you're the first anon, since he/you said it was a few weeks ago, not half a year ago. Anyone can save the image off the archive anon.
>>
>>46689636
OK, I guess.

If this is in the 'Realms, Silver Dragons are generally considered gregarious and nice to the little people. Since Dragonborn tend to follow the example of their Draconic heritage, a Silver is less-than-likely to show that kind of ambition.

Not impossible, just be mindful of the DM's setting expectations.
>>
>>46689138
Fabricate, Wall of Stone, True Polymorph or Shapechange. Wall of Stone to make my factories, Fabricate to make specialty equipment and products, and True Polymorph/Shapechange to become a shadow dragon to assemble a hoard of shadows that serve as my eternal factory workers.
>>
>>46689179
Elves aren't smart, they just live a really long time and learn from their many mistakes.

For example, this elf will no longer stick his hands into obvious traps.
>>
File: 1394951901230.jpg (103 KB, 680x932) Image search: [Google]
1394951901230.jpg
103 KB, 680x932
>>46689677
Nah dude it was me. I was in the thread before extolling the virtue of 2d6+6 as a stat rolling method. While I doubt I was the first person to ever make a joke about using 6d20 ever, it was the first time it'd been a thing on /5eg/ I've been here since it began.. I don't know why you are doubting me.
>>
>>46689710
>DM's setting expectations.
I always talk to the DM before i start character creation. He said that DBs don't really follow their colours exactly, but non DBs expect them to.
>>
>>46689595
Heh.

At least the doors aren't made of adamantium I guess.
>>
>>46689755
Kind of a key piece of information there, bucko.

Be whatever color you want.
>>
>>46689492
Variant Human is probably the best race, for the same reason humans are pretty much always the best race in DnD. Sure, you don't get special racial abilities, but you get more customizeable stats and a free feat, which is generally far more useful than racial abilities (lots of the racial abilities are very situational, or might be good for one class but not for another, but with a free feat you can just choose one that you'll get the best use out of).

Not sure about race. 5th edition seems to have pretty tightly spaced "tiers" (ie. the difference between worst class and best class is not nearly as big as, say, the differnce between Fighter and Wizar in 3.5), so it's somewhat hard to say that one class is always better than any other (since in some situations the "2nd best" or "3rd best" will pull ahead of it). Bards and Wizards seem to be among the most powerful. Moon Druids are very strong early on but not all that spectacular at mid-levels (once they get unlimited wildshape at lv.20 they jump back to being very good, though). Range and Monk are amonf the worst (Beastmaster Ranger is pretty much universally considered the worst class, and the only one I'd consider to be truly shit instead of just unoptimized).
>>
>>46689048
>And? The same applies to classes. By committing to a class, you lose opportunities to go into other classes. Again, why are classes relevant to food production and not feats/spells?

SImple. Because you don't choose a class solely for the ability to produce food whereas you would choose a class solely for that purpose. The basis of my original claim was that the ranger was good to go for food production from the get go. If you don't contest that, then gtfo, you have no argument.
>>
>>46689836
And yet nobody plays variant human in my games, or human for that matter

Also, BM is just a couple of common-sense changes away from being pretty good, as is wot4e monk
>>
File: pimpsuphosdown.jpg (54 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
pimpsuphosdown.jpg
54 KB, 350x500
I'm perfectly satisfied with the rules for running businesses, owning and maintaining property, lifestyle expenses and constructing strongholds (apart from that bit where nothing will ever get built unless you stand there and watch every single piece of masonry get put into place). However, there are no rules for taxation or otherwise collecting tribute from the local populace. The next campaign we're going to do has a pretty good chance of the party ending up rulers of a small fiefdom by level 10, and since running a strong can be quite expensive we'll inevitably turn to squeezing money out of the local population. I don't think the rules for running a business are a good fit (and not just because they heavily incentivize staying home all the time), so has D&D ever had rules for taxation? Has any system, for that matter? Or is my DM going to have to make some rules up for it from scratch?
>>
>>46689888
>Also, BM is just a couple of common-sense changes away from being pretty good
Are you high? BM is fantastic, and possibly the best Fighter archetype.
>>
>>46689960
I think he was meaning Beastmaster, not Battlemaster. Confusing acronyms.
>>
>>46689944
I think you'll have to set something up
>>
>>46689944
AD&D had rules for managing small fiefdoms because for some reason it was assumed that every single fighter (and no other classes) would become a feudal lord around level 9 or 10.
>>
>>46689888
>And yet nobody plays variant human in my games, or human for that matter

Yuck
>>
>>46689960
Think he eman Beastmaster (the Ranger archetype), which does indeed suck.

Really, if you want a really simple fix that makes the BM ranger at least OK-ish, just make it so that once you command the best to attack, it will keep attacking that target until you command it to do something else without you needing to spend your action every turn to tell it to attack again. That way you can actually hit something while your pet is also hitting something, rather than wasting every turn telling the dumb thing to bite the guy you told it to bite six seconds ago.
>>
>>46689960
>>46689969
Yeah, my bad, I meant beastmaster
I agree battlemaster is absolutely amazing
>>
>>46689836
Ranger is honestly a weird class and has always been; the 1E ranger was Aragorn, literally.

The 2E ranger was so situational it hurt and pretty much required writing encounters around it; the Rangers shine in BG mostly because they're allowed to specialize (illegally, in a game that comparatively nerfed Thieves and Bards), and because they conveniently happen to have the perfect favored enemy (to a point where Minsc's changes between 1 and 2).

The 3.0 Ranger (like the 3.0 Bard, mind) was utter horseshit, while the 3.5 Ranger's main saving grace is being a part-time caster skill monkey in an edition that makes spells inherently superior to the formerly superior non-caster counterpart.

The 4e Ranger was basically an anomaly in not being the worst or second worst class in the game.
>>
>>46689978
Pretty much everyone disregarded them by 2E because it was actually extremely rare for feudal lords to be anywhere near name level, aside from maybe kings and shit.

They had Birthright, instead, but tied it to a setting, and wrapped it to a bunch of rules about divine bloodlines for everyone down to the shittiest baron, so making it usable outside of it pretty much required houseruling it to the gills.
>>
>>46689983
I know, my current party is 2 dragonborn, 2 genasi and a tiefling

Makes me sad

>>46689987
That would break the action economy though, because of multiattack
Making it a bonus action would still not be perfect but it would make it somewhat better
In my opinion, most of the changes should go to beast survivability and scaling, because BMs do pretty well in terms of damage
>>
>>46689983
>You should play human, they're the most common race in the world anon
Do you also have players play as 15PB commoners?
>>
File: smug.jpg (16 KB, 480x378) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
16 KB, 480x378
>>46690073
When I'm feeling cruel, yes.
>>
>>46690073
>commoner game
That sounds fun as fuck

I like tying my campaigns together and might do something like this between PotA and OotA
>>
>>46690121
I could see running a commoner campaign, it's just a weird argument when you aren't.

I might actually be tempted to do a commoner game that unlocks full class at level 3 when they get their specialization, including the missing PB.
>>
>>46690073
>not wanting to play the group of 5 or so commoners that with no special talents and only blind luck and determination make it to the BBEG's evil fortress and slay him.
>>
>>46690144
Yeah, or something like a one-shot where the characters start as commoners and end up as lv1 PCs (captured by the drow)
>>
File: witchhomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
witchhomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Finally finished up on the familiar options.

Next step are the poisons. As always, please criticize me.
>>
>>46690351
Additionally, how overpowered would it be for a high level class feature to let a character concentrate on 2 spells at once?
>>
File: desertcity2.jpg (309 KB, 1200x400) Image search: [Google]
desertcity2.jpg
309 KB, 1200x400
Has anyone ever run a session where the PCs are level 0 kids? I'm running a desert campaign in a couple weeks where the players are all from a gypsy caravan and I'm thinking about running a pre-session where they're kids to flesh out their backstories/character relationships. Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
>>46690351
IMO Hag makes more sense than witch. If you're trying to build off of rl mythological witches, the patrons we know would either count as Fiend or Fey (for things like Aradia)
>>
>>46690374
It's already a sorcerer feature.
>>
>>46689944

You can't manage things like payroll taxes, because wages haven't been invented yet. Instead, your peasants tend your lands a certain number of days per year, and you use the grain produced to make yourself wealthy.

The factors that matter in a feudal economy are 1) productivity of your estate's fields 2) whether you have a population of able-bodied workers sufficient to tend those fields 3) the price of grain. Make a little chart showing how many peasants are required to tend a certain amount of land (remember to factor in the number of people who wouldn't be productive, which would be substantial). Then make a random roll chart for productivity, with modifiers for region, quality of soil, weather, etc. Then make another random roll chart for grain prices, with modifiers for weather, last year's price, etc. That'll let you figure out the proceeds from a fiefdom with two rolls.

Of course, you could be involved in something other than grain production—an Irish or Scottish laird would get more from his cattle—but grain production would be the easiest and simplest, and would cover most of the gains that most aristocrats could expect in most parts of the world. As long as you abstract it a bit, the same system could cover rice paddies as well as wheat farms.

You could then give players the opportunity to construct improvements, like granaries for weathering short famines, or distilleries/breweries for fermenting the grain into alcohol and getting a little more return that way.
>>
>>46690376
Back in early 3E, I'd run a few as-kids quests in the Ravenloft town that's run by an evil Pinocchio.

I made Apprentice variants of the core classes and used one of the shittier arrays for until they were about 16 or their race's equivalent.
>>
>>46690048
>dragonborn

I fucking hate this stupid meme. When the fuck will it end.
>>
>>46689995
It's just too crowded of a design space for 5e I think.

5e ranger could have been made into a Fighter archetype (like Eldritch Knight but with druid spells and different ribbons) and it'd be fine.
>>
>>46690376

Ask your players if they want to do it before you spring it on them. It's a pretty divisive choice. Some love the idea, some hate it.
>>
>>46690456
I had some positive reception from the players already on the idea, maybe not even a full session but just timeskipping halfway through. Just wondering how you implement it and some cool events that could happen during it.
>>
>>46690391
I must be missing it. Is it not in the PHB varieties, this feature that lets sorc's cast and maintain two different concentration spells?
>>
>>46690442
>the price of grain
I'll add to that
- Cash crops, especially hemp, flax and wine, mattered to the feudal lords
- Mine rights where a struggle between lesser feudal lords and the reguli class (major counts up to kings)
- The meat economy; the aristocracy in Europe usually had a near monopoly on beef herding due to extremely punitive taxes they were exempted from, so the peasants often raised pork either for themselves, or to sell to cities so they could buy beef; it was also often their primary or even sole source of solid coin.
>>
>>46690455
Personal opinion, Ranger as either Fighter or Rogue works; as Rogue it stays a skill monkey, and can be the rogue archetype with 2 attacks or something, make its special spells class features instead. As fighter, it makes some sense.

The problem was also that Barbarian kind of steals its thunder as wilderness fighter.
>>
>>46690496
>Applying real world medieval economics to a world where Goodberry, Mending, Unseen Servant, etc exist
>>
>>46690374
> Bringing back 3.5e legobuffing for any reason.
No.
>>
>>46690527
Magic is extremely rare though. It doesn't affect the majority of people's lives, so it wouldn't have much effect on the economy.
>>
>>46690527
>Everyone is a caster
>Casters are common at all
You're part of the cancer
>>
>>46690543
>Magic is extremely rare
dependsonthesetting.meme
>>
Would anyone play a 5e mecha homebrew system?

Alternately, am I retarded for deciding to make such a thing?
>>
>>46690554
There's nothing stopping you from having giant constructs, but they don't warrant their own setting.
>>
>>46690549
Unless that setting is Eberron, who would want to play in a setting where casters were common enough to significantly alter that economy?
>>
>>46690549
Sure, but the same applies to you. The official setting makes the most sense to talk about in this thread, because it will be the most common by far. The official setting features magic as a rarity.
>>
>>46690549
Whoop dee doo a druid can feed its family at level 1, what a great change to the overall economy.

Unsee Servant also matters much less than you seem to think, while Mending only just mends shit, which doesn't actually reduce the workload of peasants much when they literally only had a set each of work clothes and good clothes unless they were wealthy.
>>
>>46690570
> own setting
System. Fuck.
>>
>>46690573
Depends on how common druids are.

If they are common enough, and anyone can become a druid, then you've got a post scarcity medieval wonderland.
>>
>>46690554
Just convert Spelljammer?

Some of the online fan stuff gives magic mecha-like constructs to the IEN.
>>
>>46690571
>who would want to play in a setting where casters were common enough to significantly alter that economy?
You would.

Doubt the local apothecary would carry bat guano or dried newts if there weren't a reasonably market for them.
>>
>>46690596
>post scarcity medieval wonderland.
Why would you ever want to play that?
>>
>>46690491
It lets them maintain two instances of the same concentration spell if they are single-target (Twinned Spell).

Is it OP? Yes. I could think of so many ways to break the game if that restriction was lifted.

Glyph of Warding can let you do this, if your DM is permissive.
>>
>>46690596
They're a PC class, which is all but stated to be rare beyond other PC classes.
>>
File: image.png (127 KB, 1500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
127 KB, 1500x500
looking for the "Way of might" homebrew for monk. please and thanks in advance.
>>
>>46690612
There are still lands to bring Plenty to, Anon. And less-enlightened races to bring the light to.

Paladin Trek: The Next Generation is a go.
>>
>>46690611
I think it's assumed that the casters gather materials on the road or while resting.

>>46690612
I could have some fun with it, playing a group of industrialist players trying to stick it to the global druid society and invent a space program or something.

>>46690621
how would you break the game, out of curiosity?

>>46690623
magic is stated to be rare too. Depends on the setting anon.
>>
>>46690611
Luxury goods were a thing even in the middle ages. A few wealthy wizards needing Bat Guano, in shops that are probably only one in a large city, isn't actually not unrealistic. It's just probably about as rare as saffron west of Persia irl.
>>
>>46690611
Bat guano is good fertilizer, and dried newts are tasty snacks.
>>
>>46690657
>>I think it's assumed that the casters gather materials on the road or while resting.
>Jesus, someone just left huge fucking gemstones everywhere.
>>
>>46690658
>double negation
Isn't actually unrealistic
>>
>>46690675
You can't replace gemstones in spell component lists with component pouches, because they're worth too much anon. You have to track those.
>>
>>46690675
Didn't someone derail a thread last year asking about the relative worth of diamonds in an economy where the jewelry cartels don't exist?
>>
>>46690675
Gemstones are rarely spent by the casting, have explicit prices, and unlike bat guano make sense as a tradeable good.
>>
>>46690698
They'd be expensive honestly. The only reason gemstones are overpriced, nowadays, is that you can basically just stumble on them in Southern Africa, Australia or Brazil. And it turns out that the Canadian shield also has enormous deposits.

In 14th century, about the only known diamond mines in the entire world were in Gondwana.
>>
File: Iron_Armor_(10).jpg (62 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Armor_(10).jpg
62 KB, 1280x800
What's a good visual effect for the Way of the Long Death monk's life drain.

I'm trying for something visible but subtle, like smoke coming off of the foe and trailing into the monks fingertips (which is my current plan if I don't hear something else I like). I realize it could just as easily be something with no visible effect but I'm not really going for that here.
>>
>>46690738
>Visual effects on things that aren't meant to be flashy spells
Why would you do that?
>>
>>46690451
>meme
What do you mean meme? It's a PHB race
>>
>>46690762
It's also a mistake.
>>
>>46690731
They've been overpriced for most of the last century, Anon. And not all diamonds you can find are jewelry-grade.

The GP cost is bullshit mostly because it just seems unnatural: you could have a fist-sized uncut diamond full of inclusions and not be able to cast greater restoration, but if you pay someone to cut off a couple of unincluded slivers of it and pretty them up, you've got restorations for days.
>>
>>46690782
Why? What makes them so bad?
>>
>>46690698
Yeah, something about buying wholesale.

WotC can't economics.
>>
>>46689179
also, mage hand is a cantrip? unseen servant is a first level spell?
>>
>>46690788
>They've been overpriced for most of the last century, Anon.
Yes, I state why; except there's no real indication that gems in FR are massively common, if anything I like the idea of Thay or Mulhorand having an monopoly on the few mines known like Indian kingdoms irl prior to the discovery of major mines in South Africa and the new world.
>>
File: Mutator (name pending).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mutator (name pending).pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cthulhufag again. Hopefully this should be done now. Did some nerfs/rebalances, and admitted I can't come up with a good name for the specializations so I just went with the generic "archetypes".

I still have at least one big idea left, namely creating another incredibly specific and probably useless "splatbook", this time about underwater stuff (because I still regret not becoming a marine biologist). I could port stuff like the Apparatus of Kwalish and playable merfolk/sahuagin/sea elves from 3.5, and add some aquatic monsters (just how OP should a giant mantis shrimp be?) and very specific sub-classes that's be useless in any other envivorment (ocean-ranger, underwater druid). Call it..."Lord Nomic Compendium of Underwater Bullshit" or something.
>>
>>46690837
>except there's no real indication that gems in FR are massively common
Except, you know, literally all lore about Dwarves, Gnomes, and Kobolds.
>>
>>46690843
How do you get naturalcrit to print to pdf with color? I'm the witch guy, and I just can't get it to generate the background color.
>>
>>46690816
In the beginning, they were part of a cashgrab for WotC and a way for players to make characters that were so special because they were part dragon without having to have less class levels because they were a half dragon. Now, they exist for players who want to make characters who are special for being part dragon and find being a dragonblooded sorcerer insufficient.
>>
>>46690867
And that commoners tend to carry gems and jewels because they're more valuable than coins but far less heavy
>>
>>46690869
When you print it it, there should be a checkbox (under the "Layout", "Paper Size" and "Margins" dropdown menus) called "Background graphics". Tick it.
>>
>>46690889
> Butthurt Grogs

And FYI, "Dragonborn are a bad meme" is a bad meme.
>>
File: panick.jpg (25 KB, 234x196) Image search: [Google]
panick.jpg
25 KB, 234x196
Please help me, /5eg/, I've fucked up.
I'm running the beginnings of Princes of the Apocalypse for a fifth level party. Last session I got a little flustered and accidentally sent them in the direction of one of the little sidequests intended for lower level characters -- in this case, it's one designed for FIRST level parties.

The sidequest consists of a necromancer and his feeble band of zombies/skellies in a shitty little cave. To make matters worse, I've already used lots of zombies and skeletons on these guys already, so to combine that with the fact that this is designed for a much less experienced party as well as the fact that I tend to go easy on them means that this is all unfortunately adding up to one incredibly easy and boring encounter that will do nothing but eat time. Are there some undead creatures that might pose a more interesting and formidable threat than a handful of skeletons?

The players don't know anything about the encounter yet except for its location (Lance Rock), and they haven't really begun to scratch the surface of the cults' presence in the town. I'm thinking that they might come upon the place to find it abandoned, with only the sigil of the Elemental Eye remaining as a clue to the grand scheme of things, but if I do that then I have to admit I'm not sure where they'll be going next. I don't have much time.

TL;DR, I've got myself in a corner because I fucked up and failed to read far enough ahead, and my players are on their way to a disappointing encounter if I don't think fast. Any advice, especially from anybody familiar with the Princes of the Apocalypse storyline, would be appreciated.
>>
>>46690612
I'm running a post-scarcity Cyberpunk style dystopia game right now which is a lot of fun, although it does heavily rely on being non standard / a mashup.
>>
>>46690913
Pearls were never rare, neither were gems outside the cardinal stones. That said D&D has always sucked about coinage, because its retardedly heavy coinage is the weight of irl trade bars that would cover a commoner's living expenses for a year at least.
>>
>>46690889
5E turned them into AD&D draconians.
>>
File: witchhomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
witchhomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46690925
Thanks.
>>
>>46690698
Having the spell work off of the diamond's value is kinda weird, yeah. If local scarcity pushes the price up, does that mean that less diamond could do the same spell? If you get conned into paying more would the spell fail? Could you ever pay less than the quoted figure to make the spell work?
>>
>>46690940
You laugh, but tieflings are the same thing but with demons instead of dragons, and now they're a PHB race too.
>>
>>46690976
Can't you just rebalance the encounters for their level?
>>
>>46690889
How can including a race in the PHB, the book you literally need to be able to play in the first place, be a "cashgrab"? People would be buying the book anyway, even if it didn't contain dragonborn. It would make sense to call it a cashgrab if they'd published it in some extra supplement and charged for it, but they didn't.
>>
>>46691050
>butthurter grogs
I'm sure there's forums for people who enjoy playing 1E Greyhawk all-human-fighter games, but Tiefling and Genasi were base races in 2E Planescape. They had nothing to do with "taking demon levels" in a ruleset that didn't even do Templates.
>>
Aasimar should be core

Dragonborn should be a race in a player option supplement alongside Warforged, etc

Gnomes should be removed and never again exposed to the light of day
>>
>>46690976
There are undead all the way up to CR 23 anon. You'll be fine. Use koboldfightclub to help you out.

Also, less worry anon. You can make things up as you go along!
>>
>>46691038
> Have lots of garbage diamonds.
> Lead a campaign to seal all Dwarves/Gnomes in their own holes
> Have lots of VALUABLE garbage diamonds
I found my next BBEG.
>>
>>46691066
>How can including a race in the PHB, the book you literally need to be able to play in the first place, be a "cashgrab"?
It wasn't in the PHB back when it was a cashgrab, you dolt. It was in a 3.5 splatbook.
>>
>>46691038
My favorite is still shit like Diamond Dust worth 1,500 GP. Diamond dust is ass-inexpensive.

And grinding a 1,500 GP diamond into dust would not give you 1,500 GP worth of diamond dust. You'd just lose a lot of value.
>>
>>46691111
Oh, my bad. Sorry, not familiar with 3.5. Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>46691073
>but Tiefling and Genasi were base races in 2E Planescape
And if WotC were presenting Planescape as the default setting, I'd welcome them in the PHB with open arms. But WotC is presenting FR as the default setting, so instead I'm getting my knickers in a knot.
>>
>>46691038
This is why I like having a god in the setting that runs off of money.
>>
>>46691111
>> Equating 3.5e Dragonborn in any way with 4e/5e Dragonborn.
Sigh.

>>46691146
Don't encourage him.
>>
>>46691152
Or they can try to avoid splatitis for a race that's been used in FR since, again, late 2E when Planescape became a thing.
>>
>>46691038
Buy your diamonds wholesale, hire an appraiser.

Restoration/Resurrection spells at a profit, man.
>>
>>46691058
That's one way to go with it, but as I said before, I'm worried they're a little sick of zombies at this point. Rebalancing the encounter without changing the actual monsters would basically wind up stuffing the entire cave with zombies and dragging things out which sounds even worse than just letting them steamroll this. I'm also kind of new so working out how to make an encounter/rebalance one is a little intimidating.

>>46691094
I would feel much more comfortable making things up as I went along if I weren't trying to work from a module.
>>
>>46690816
Scalies and sues, every single one. Without fail.
>>
>>46691234
So don't fucking play Dragonborn. You're not going to make the person who is playing a Dragonborn Dragon Sorc like you by being a passive aggressive bitch who secretly changes their character sheet for a Male Human Champion Fighter named Dirk McSword
>>
>>46691234
>Scally
>noun
>a roguish self-assured young person, typically a man, who is boisterous, disruptive, or irresponsible
Sounds cool to me.
>>
>>46691192
>Or they can try to avoid splatitis
That's a fair goal, but I don't think it would be splatitis if they put out one big book for each prominent setting and introduced the races key to those settings within. Or heck, put them in the DMG or MM if you insist that they be introduced in the core rulebooks. I just think that the PHB should be reserved for the common player races that form the backbone of every major D&D setting.
>>
>>46691266
>being a passive aggressive bitch who secretly changes their character sheet for a Male Human Champion Fighter named Dirk McSword

What the actual fuck?

Did a guy that dislikes dragonborn kill your dog?
>>
>>46691300
Good thing, then, that Tiefling has been an accepted player race for Forgotten Realms since 2e made it a playable race.
>>
>>46691301
> Did a guy that dislikes dragonborn kill your dog?
Could ask you the same question about a person who likes them. Nobody cares about your necrotizing groggitis, Anon.

Don't like Dragonborn? Don't play in a game with Dragonborn. Done.
>>
>>46691330
>Don't like Dragonborn? Don't play in a game with Dragonborn. Done.

This, from a guy who started shitposting when someone didn't like dragonborn.
>>
>>46691094
>koboldfightclub
Ah, bless you, this might turn out to be the tool that saves my bacon for now. Ghouls seem a bit tougher and might actually turn out to be kind of fun in a cave with lots of tiny crevices for them to drag their prey into after paralyzing them.
Thanks again.
>>
>>46691405
> Only 1 Anon disagrees with me, and he must be shitposting.
Ok.
>>
>Arcane Trickster takes Find Familiar as their non-enchantment/illusion spell at 3rd level
>casts find familiar
>next level, they replace Find Familiar with a different spell

What happens to the familiar? Poof gone? There until it dies?
>>
>>46691322
I really want to argue that Tieflings being established does not make them part of the backbone I mentioned, but I would have to do some research and even then you'd still not be convinced, so fuck it. I will say that if WotC had presented Tieflings as being a thing of Planescape, I'd be completely fine with them being in the PHB. In fact, if they'd taken all the setting unique player races and introduced them as such in the PHB, I'd be a much happier camper.
>>
>>46691613
Recasts of Find Familiar are just to resurrect dead familiars.
>>
>>46691661
Yes, but if one no longer knows the spell, is the familiar still around?
>>
>>46691631

I'd love for them to have had a setting specific race for every setting. I mostly want Thri Keen, damn it.

I love the mantis men, they're fucking awesome. Way cooler than a fucking dragon person or a demon blooded edgelord.
>>
>>46689677
Uh, I'd seriously reconsider. That is the That-Guyest That Guy ability that ever started a shit-fit at a table. That's neither fair, nor helpful, so consider these points:

How many other passives deal constant damage to allies?

Why does one character get to bog everything down so immensely? Just allow Kender if you want players to have an option to irritate people, lender only kill themselves, not their whole party.

How would he even walk down the street? 30 feet in any direction means that even in huge rooms everyone would have to hug the walls,or start rotting away. In dungeons, he wouldn't even be able to be in the same room as his party. He'd be slain on principle, by the town guard, if he even survived his first dungeon where he had to take a long rest alone.

You could make it an active with a duration, but that mostly removes the 'makes no sense in-game' problem, and does nothing for the 'poor design and table salt' problem.

Of course, if this is a trait for some kind of monstrous BBEG, preferably who has a concert of clerics with their eyes plucked out who follow him by ribbons tied from his (helmet?)horns to their wrists, who chant to contain the fell aura, that shit is cash money, good job.
>>
>>46691211
Ah I'm sure they'll be fine. Rebalancing encounters is easy, if you screw up and make it far too hard just fudge the rolls a little. Not like your players can tell.
>>
>>46690762
>It's a PHB race

Doesn't make it any less of a meme
>>
>>46691234
I didn't think my dragonborn barbarian who just wanted to stockpile treasure and unleash primal dragon rage on unsuspecting foes was either.
>>
>>46691895
So should I add dragonborn are a meme to the list of hilarious 9gag approved topics of discussion?
>>
>>46691025
Stealing from this if you don't mind.
>>
>>46691911
Not at all. I post it to be shared. Just tell me what you're stealing so I know what works.
>>
>>46691906
Yes
>>
>>46691938
Im at work, so I'll have to read it through the day. But I read the earlier one you posted and liked a lot of its ideas. I got a pretty extensive home brew myself for the warlock, but am always looking to add more options for my players. I'll let you know what my group picks up if your around later. Cheers.
>>
>>46692031
You might also want to check out the Cthulhu-themed warlock patrons, although those are rather specific (ie. not really useful in games that don't involve the Cthulhu Mythos).
>>
>tfw the one design decision you disagree with 5e on is making bard a full caster instead of a half caster with its 3.5 songs
>>
>>46692238
I guess it was decided that the songs were spell-like enough that casting them using an Instrument instead of non-consumable components was good enough.
>>
>>46692238
i just wish there was more to do with the songs in 5e. Bardic inspiration can be fluffed as song but i wish it was a more explicit use of music like countercharm and song of rest.
>>
I want to DM my roommates first game, but there's just two of them. Any suggestions for a good starter two man adventure? I don't gave time to write my own scenario right now
>>
>>46692111
Not him, or cthulufag, but those are good enough you could just refluff them to a specific made up GOO.
>>
>>46692464
I'm first time DMing for just my girlfriend, though I'm running a dmnpc who doesn't say much and is mostly there to help in fights. We're doing LMoP and it's going pretty well so far.
>>
INT/DEX race that isn't gay as fuck when?
>>
>>46692540
How do you adjust the encounters
>>
File: DoOG Warlock.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DoOG Warlock.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46692497
My original intention was actually to present them as not!Outer Gods, with generic names, ie. "Keeper of the Gates (Yog-Sothot)", since that's how they're known in my setting (they're supposed to be the Lovecraftian Outer Gods, but most of their worshipers in the setting know them with more mundane names).

The basic "themes" I built them around are generic enough that they could easily be used for generic eldritch entities themed around space/time-fuckery, life, and being a manipulative dickhead.
>>
>>46692645
>t. greasy dwarf
>>
>>46692705
t. homo gnomo
>>
a friend of mine told me he wanted to play D&D with me sometime and I fucking pounced on the opportunity, so now we're trying to organize a rotating-DM group.

Anyone got any advice for rotating-DM with inexperienced players? Obviously, as the "guru" (such as it is) on D&D, I'll be giving the newbies lots of support- I just don't wanna be perma-DM if at all possible.
>>
>>46691676
Its still there. If it dies, they aren't getting a new one. It's the same with using a scroll of find familiar
>>
>>46692694
Most I've done so far is remove a goblin or two in the bigger fights, and that's about it. I've fudge a roll once or twice, but she was surprisingly clever enough with the bugbear in the first cave that I haven't done that much.
>>
>>46692769
>rotating-DM

Why on earth
>>
>>46692769
>having inexpierenced players DM

Not gonna work, looks like your stuck being perma
>>
>>46692832
because it gives me a chance to play without the inherent problems with dmpc, because my friend likes the idea of learning the rules that way, because every group I've ever run falls apart when I run out of creative juices and rotating gives a convenient excuse for episodic storytelling that doesn't have to hang together thematically

>>46692848
hey now, one of my friends I'll probably rope in has DMing experience. the idea isn't "every session it passes off to a predetermined person," the idea is "anyone who feels brave enough can volunteer and we'll hold their hand through the process"
>>
>>46692881
even if it ended up being just those two friends and me switching off and the other one to three don't ever contribute, that's way less pressure on me
>>
>>46692812
That's a good point, I hadn't considered spell scroll analogue
>>
I had a rotating GM thing a few years ago, waspretty fun. A bit of oneupsmanship made things exciting.

Although we were playing Touhou Danmaku Yuugi ~Flowers~ and drinking in fairly large quantities.
>>
>>46692694
See what the encounters are monsters-wise and their CR. Use Kobold Fight Club to calculate what number of creatures of certain type the characters should be able to handle at their level.
>>
>>46692881
There are no inherent problems with DMPCs. There are inherent problems with bad DMs.
>>
>>46691763
Horrible, bad, no-good advice. Fudging dice rolls is straight-up bullshit.
>>
>>46691079
Just bring back the fucking Plantouched. Aasimar, Tiefling, and the Genasi are your subraces. Easy peasy.
>>
>>46689440
The fuck kind of ninja are you faggoting about?
>>
>>46693014
>There are no inherent problems with DMPCs. There are inherent problems with bad DMs.
>playing a PC while knowing everything a DM knows and trying to avoid using that body of knowledge (which, in a traditional one-DM setup, grows more every session and includes arc spoilers) accidentally or on purpose, while also running the entire game, doesn't constitute an inherent problem with DMPCs
like, okay, I appreciate that a perfect DM would have no difficulty doing that, but perfect DMs don't exist- people do, and people have limited cognitive resources
imagining that you don't know something is cognitively intensive, so is DMing, the two processes are competing for the same resources and are at direct odds with each other
rotating DM means that even if a DM slips up and uses protected knowledge, anyone who DMs has roughly equal access to the protected knowledge- which is to say, potentially everyone has roughly equal access to protected knowledge, and whoever the current DM's PC is doesn't have as large an inherent advantage over all other PCs
>>
>only two mentions of Battlemasters in the whole thread
>no mentions of Tavern Brawler or Shield Master
STEP IT UP MY MARTIAL BRETHREN
>>
>>46693106
also, "can't come up with solutions to a problem or it seems like the DM is jerking off to their own plot" is an inherent problem for the playing experience, if not the DMing experience
>>
>>46693051
Well you're technically right, but it's harmless and useful bullshit if the players never find out.

What you have to realize about players (and this includes you), is that they don't know what they want. They'll say they want a fair game, but really, they want the appearance of a fair game, and the appearance of beating a fair game. In many respects, giving them a fair game will result in them not having the appearance of beating a fair game. Since delivering a fair game is not something the players actually want (just the appearance), you're actively sacrificing one of the player's wants for no gain. That's a bad choice. So do the right thing: fudge rolls.

>>46693106
It's a basic ability of DMs to separate knowledge of characters. If you can't do this, you're a bad DM, a shit DM, a terrible DM, not "close to perfect". In many ways, being able to run a DMPC without causing problems is a litmus test for acceptable DMing. If you can't do it, you probably shouldn't be running games.

>>46693177
This is closer to a valid criticism. But it hasn't bothered me on any of the DMPCs I've ran before. I just have em be quiet, and occasionally give the players hints, or help to break stalls. They're great tools.
>>
>>46693215
thanks for the no true scotsman argument but the fact that DMs have to have that skill implies it is an inherent problem to be managed, you're moving goalposts

anyway if no-one has advice I'm peacing out, I really fucking hate this kind of argument
>>
>>46693215
I'd argue that if your NPC is functionally not badly played, it will come off as a NPC; a badly done mentor type char can end up was a DMPC, but sometimes a more experienced NPC or even just one who happens to be around works too.

I tend to just make it clear that whatever happens to pass off for a DMPC in my games is usually one of about 20 chars I've got premade that I use as local guides.

I wouldn't necessarily do it in Ravenloft.
>>
File: 91v34RPCt8L._SL1500_.0.0[1].jpg (114 KB, 1310x737) Image search: [Google]
91v34RPCt8L._SL1500_.0.0[1].jpg
114 KB, 1310x737
>>46693246
That's a retarded argument.

>anything that requires a DM to have skill implies something is a problem to be managed
>mfw the entire game is problematic because it takes skill to DM for.

Did you just learn the buzzwords "No True Scotsman" and "moving goalposts" yesterday? Because I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

>>46693259
The NPC vs. DMPC thing is more about DM intent than player perception to me at least. If the character is intended to let the DM play a little bit as an almost player, then it's a DM. If it comes off as not problematic (or to you as an NPC) that means the DM is good.
>>
File: PlaneswalkersMirth.jpg (54 KB, 640x516) Image search: [Google]
PlaneswalkersMirth.jpg
54 KB, 640x516
>>46693138
your kind isn't welcome around here.
>>
>>46693138
Should I take Tavern Brawler or Durable on a battlemaster fighter with 19 Con and no other stats that need boosting?
>>
>>46692645
Well, the Tieflings in the SCAG have the option of being an int/dex race. The SCAG also helps to make them less gay by making them more like Planescape Tieflings, with more randomly generated features rather than being the whole "tail, red skin and horns". It can be someone that looks pretty much human with possibly a few infernal features.
>>
Is the default standard array over-powered or under powered?
>>
>>46693616
It's just right. Rolling for stats, especially 4d6 drop low, is overpowered.
>>
>>46689138
CLONE
L
O
N
E
>>
>>46693532
Durable does nothing for Second Wind and will make your heal per HD while resting a flat 15 every time; without Durable, this is 6-15.

Tavern Brawler opens a world of new and hilarious opportunities for chumping the baddies, and since you're a BM, you gain access to the fabulous Trip Attack+Grapple combo without wasting any attacks.

It really depends on how your game works. If your DM doesn't give out a lot of short rests, obviously Durable is less valuable. If you're the only one who can take a hit and healing is in short supply in the party, it's more valuable. If you have a nice (magic) weapon or are the primary damage dealer, abandoning it to grapple or make unarmed strikes is less valuable. If there's a lot of other melee classes or people who need set-up for their abilities, TB can be moreso.

I would personally lean towards Tavern Brawler. You can always blow cash and chug healing potions if you're hurt, but there's no way to buy being able to grab your two prison guards by the neck and slam their foreheads together.
>>
>>46693697
What's the best way to roll for stats?

It should accomplish these goals: variability and a minimum stat threshold to keep people from being left out.

I'd say a good minimum stat would be 8.

What should the average stat be?
>>
Hey /5eg/, was hoping you could help me choose the right class/archetype. The basic concept in my head is of high elf arcane duelist, someone who mixes fencing and magic, big emphasis on swiftness and skill over raw power. Would the wizard's Bladesinger or fighter's Eldritch Knight be better for that sort of character?
>>
>>46694016
I'd say Bladesinger, but I'm a wizard player so I might be biased. How much casting do you want to do?
>>
>>46694050
I kinda want to be able to go half-and-half, run a guy through one turn, toss a fireball the next, etc.
>>
>>46694016
Pact of the Blade Warlock.
>>
>>46694067
There's no arcane half caster. You could see about talking to your DM and replacing the paladin spell list with the sorcerer or wizard one.
>>
File: 1455710556527.jpg (7 KB, 295x200) Image search: [Google]
1455710556527.jpg
7 KB, 295x200
>>46689396
Are you retarded?
>>
>>46694016

what character level?

Eldritch Knight isn't going to be casting any serious magic till 7, but Bladesinger can do the same at 3
>>
>>46694167
We're starting at 3. Sooo, Bladesinger is starting to sound like the way to go.
>>
>>46689396
Shadow Monk literally mentions ninjas by name.
>>
>>46690612
Forget that, the fictional kingdom of UR had post-scarcity in the equivalent of the Hyborean Age.

>Learn fire
>Learn pottery
>Learn golem making
>Golems do all jobs
>Post-labor society before the wheel.
>>
>>46693950
There isn't one, but you could try this:
Roll 1d8+7 and mark down how much that would cost using point buy, repeat until you reach the point buy limit or you have 6 ability scores. If you reached the point buy threshold early any remaining stats are 8, if you finish without spending it all you can allocate it wherever you want.
>>
Which of the Fighter Archtypes is the most "Fun"?
Don't get me wrong, i like to RP, but i don't like 1 trick pony Characters

>inb4 why play fighter
Action
Surge
>>
>>46693950
8-Straight, 5E can handle negatives alright.
Write down the score names, roll 3d6 for each score in order, you make up to 8 arrays this way. If the player doesn't like any of the arrays, they can take the standard.

It's pretty hilarious seeing the look on a player's face when they roll two 18s for STR and CON, while they rolled 5 for INT and 8 on CHA, saying "Fuck it, I'm playing Sloth". That retarded half-hill giant didn't last too long, but it was glorious, we basically reenacted the Goonies.
>>
>>46694221
the problem with 1d8+7 is that the max stat is 15. I like having the 16s in there.

With computers, we could do 1d9+7. That allows for both 8 and 16 as a possibility.

With computers involved, we could go really crazy:

Roll 36d20. Sort them into 6 groups of 6 die.

average out each group.

round half up
round half down

assign those numbers to your stats.

>>46694291
That does seem fun.
>>
>>46694264
I'd say battlemaster, because you get to be a refined, Sun Tzu-like tactical master.
>>
>>46693950
4d6 and take the lowest one out
>>
>>46690596
I've never understood why Druids aren't busting their humps to improve farming conditions around the world.

Hey, asshole, you want to protect the forest and the wild places? No one needs to expand their farm into your precious woodland or graze their cattle in yet more prairies if the current land they have is twice as good. You know who has a spell to double crop yield? YOU DO.

Druids should be travelling to farms and saying, "Hey, for a nominal fee and your promise that you will never expand your lands past this point, I will stop by every year and double your crops. Screw me on this and I drop lightning bolts on your house."

We actually pulled this off in a campaign after accidentally burning down half a farmer's field trying to save his ranch from ankhegs and feeling bad about it. We took half a week out of our journey and went back to this druid NPC we met and promised we'd go out of our way to kill a necromancer for him if he'd pop over to the farm with us and do his Plant Growth voodoo. Then our Rogue, while explaining how this is actually way better for the farmer than it seems (he only has to take care of half as much land, so he saves time; the field that was razed will be prime soil next season) hits upon the idea to drag the Druid around to every other farm convince him it's in Nature's best interest to drown everyone in wheat and apples so no one's tempted to go wild boar hunting or whatever.

This would become a recurring theme in our campaign.
>>
>>46694264
eldritch knight only exists for games that don't use multiclassing, champion is the boring subclass in the game. BM wins by default.
>>
Do Bladesingers *actually* bring anything to the table that another wizard archetype can't do better? Or are they wizard's bladelock?
>>
>>46694310
>I like having the 16s in there
3d4+4 per stat. You can hit 16 but as a fair trade off also get a low but not too low score of 7, and on average you'll be getting 13's and 12's which is what you'd get if you evened out your stats using point buy.
>>
>>46694409
They bring mary sue elf characters to the table usually.
>>
>>46694322
>>46694364
Works with my Lawful Evil Not!Doom

Is a dip into Wiz/Sorc worth it - or just go straight 20 Fighter?

thanks
>>
>>46694362
probably the same reason we ship guns and bombs to the middle east instead of literacy aids and act surprised when a bunch of illiterate nutjobs use guns and bombs to kill us because the few people who can read in the middle east told them to.

helping your enemy economically so they don't have any more incentives to mess you up doesn't sound good to voting blocks.

I bet the guy who keeps bringing up his goodberry supply plan at the annual druid convention gets laughed out of the room.
>>
>>46694409
Wizard's bladelock.

Bladesingers should be something that's backed in EK or Valor Bard since they used to be a multiclass, not the domain of Wizards.

AFAIR the 2E Bladesinger was literally "you can't play bard but look at this awesome FM kit that's totally not 90% of a Bard"
>>
File: method_v.jpg (139 KB, 544x728) Image search: [Google]
method_v.jpg
139 KB, 544x728
>>46693950
>What's the best way to roll for stats?
Method V from the OG Unearthed Arcana. Adjust to suit modern character classes.
>>
>>46694575
>Method V
AD&D's version of 40PB
>>
>>46694533
>Druids and all the other innawoods types are crazy classists/racists who spend all their time thinking of inventive new ways to piss on peasants instead of catching poachers, curing forest diseases, or growing trees
>>
Or it could just be that druids are a small elite class with concerns that are fitting to a priesthood rather than magic dispensers.

Which is actually my usual response as to why magic exists isn't a good enough justification for literally any argument if there's a particular set of social conditions at play.
>>
Best race for a swashbuckler?

Also should I CN, CG or NE for him?
>>
>>46694619
Half Elf, Human, Tiefling/Aasimar, arguably Forest Gnome and Elf.
>>
I'm trying to write up a magic robot race for my 90s JRPG themed game and I'm having a hard time deciding on a compelling feature for the combat robot subtype (the other type is smart and good at magic). I'm considering lifting the half-orc's savage attacks (deal an extra die of damage on weapon crits), but I had this idea, too:
>Integrated Weapon: You have a weapon integrated into one of your arms. This weapon deals 1d6 damage, has the light and finesse properties, and deals one of the following damage types: bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. Once you choose a damage type, it cannot be changed. This weapon cannot be detected without magic while it is concealed in your arm, and it cannot be disarmed or dropped.
Is this any good? If not, what changes can make it good? Should I just scrap it and go with the half-orc's savage attacks instead?
>>
>>46694409
They have the best AC. That's really the one thing you want to use them for.
>>
>>46694617
>concerns that are fitting to a priesthood
I don't know what priests do in your campaign settings, but in like 90% of FR they're sitting in temples in or near a city and dispensing shit to the populace because their adoration LITERALLY FEEDS THEIR GOD.
>>
File: WWE trashed.webm (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
WWE trashed.webm
3 MB, 512x288
>>46694364
>best rolls
>boring

Champs are by-far the funnest(and best scaling) Fighter archetype, take a two level dip in Bard for Jack of All Trades after level 7 to get full proficiency bonus on all STR, DEX and CON checks. That means you can spend your actual class skills in other stuff, turning you into a skill monkey. One more level in Bard for Cutting Words can turn you into an amazing wrestler.
I get most of my fun from interacting with the environment, NPCs and items. Just give me some big rolls.
>>
Every spell above level zero is removed from the book.

Is the game still fun?
>>
>>46694619
CN desu
>>
>>46694409
maryadesuingers should not be allowed under any circumstances
>>
>>46694766
How do I CN without being an asshole? I've only ever run LE, CG, LG, NG, and LN characters because I'm afraid to touch the easily fucked up CN alignment.
>>
>>46694696
Something like Aaracoa's talons (your unarmed strikes do d4 slashing damage, instead of the normal 1 bludgeoning) might also be an easy way to do it.
>>
>>46690843
Call it the Protean. Protean as an adjective means malleable/versatile.
>>
>>46694854
You just want to be left alone, you do the adventuring thing mainly because it pays well or you're bored and wanted to see the world, but ultimately your main moral compass is either yourself, friends or the people you take a liking to, not an interest in saving the world.
>>
>>46694854
>How do I CN without being an asshole?

Play a pirate

You're an asshole, but only when necessary, and you have a personal standard of ethics
>>
>>46694854
Don't be an asshole. That's it.

There's nothing inherently bad about CN, it's just the fact that a lot of people treat it as either "lolrandumb" or "DM didn't let me play CE, so I'll play a CN asshole".
Ultimately CN boils down to being individualist. You aren't particualrly concened with complex moral questions, and prefer freedom and the ability to decide things by yourself to taking orders from others. Doesn't necessarily mean you won't follow orders, but you'd probably be happier if you're told "do what you think is the best way to accomplish our goal", rather than "follow my lead and do exactly what I say".
>>
>>46694854
CN is morally flexible and doesn't like strict rules, but that doesn't make him an asshole necessarily.

You can still be loyal to your friends and an asshole to anyone else who tries to fuck with you.
>>
File: image.gif (67 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
67 KB, 300x360
How have your players reacted to the vistani?

One of my (level 3) PCs grabbed a bag of loot from their cart and it had more loot than they'd gotten in all their adventures so far. He put it back because he didn't want to get cursed.

They plan on genociding them
>>
>>46690843
Are you making an entire system, or just Cthulhu themed options on the base rules?

I'm curious if we'll see a litany of !5e systems spring up.
>>
>>46694854
>>46695171
Play sort of like a people-oriented TN with a stronger love of freedom.
>>
>>46695149
>You aren't particualrly concened with complex moral questions
Largely this

I kind of like GitP's Chaotic Neutral guide
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448806-We-re-Rebels-Without-A-Clue-A-Chaotic-Neutral-Handbook
>>
>>46694575
That's pretty neato. I might try to port it.
>>
File: jack-sparrow-depp[1].jpg (113 KB, 612x475) Image search: [Google]
jack-sparrow-depp[1].jpg
113 KB, 612x475
>>46694854
You be an asshole in amusing ways.
>>
>>46694749
No.

Make it so that all spells can only be cast as rituals though and I'm in
>>
Any of yall remember Hengeyokai from AD&D Karatur?

That was the bomb
>>
Which is your favorite warlock pact and why is it your favorite?
>>
>>46695389
Sold, but make it so most rituals only need 5-10 rounds to complete, and I'm in.
>>
>>46695402
Fey, Blade
I mostly just like the Knight of Flowers concept.
>>
>>46695402
I'd have to go with pact of the chain. Mechanically, I think pact of the tome is easily the best. But Familiars are really fun to use, especially the chain exclusive ones. They're really fucking useful.

Blade Pact is also fun, but you're kind of gimping yourself really hard taking it.

Patrons are sort of a tossup. They all have fun and thematic elements. I'm a huge sucker for fey though, so I like it the most, but all are really fun to play if your DM is any good.
>>
>>46695061
That works. Not gonna repost the same thing with a different name, but it's in the mega.

Assuming nobody notices somethign that still needs fixing, I think that's done. I think it ended up OK, although I think the Cthulhu stuff worked better, due to having a solid theme.
Plus, it kind of feels, for a lack of a better word, neutered.
The original version I did was less well written, but had some extra abilities (some more minon-related things, and a third specialization that I never really got fully fleshed out) that I had to drop due to balancing and restructuring reasons, and THAT was a simultaneously expanded and toned down version of a class I made for 3.PF (which was both explicitly Shub-Niggurath themed and weird as hell).

>>46695194
Just a "splatbook" of Cthulhu-themed options. I'm not crazy to write an entire system, especially when the base rules aren't really all that well suited for a proper Cthulhu-themed game (I've seen enough 3rd edition OGL systems to know you can't just use DnD mechanics on every possible setting and expect it to work). I just like Lovecraft, and the PHB has the Great Old Ones as a warlock patron, so I wanted to elaborate on that a bit.
>>
>>46694749
it's shit
>>
Can the fae breed with humans? I think a fey touched sorcerer sounds fun.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.