[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Competent BBEG Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: Arcane_trickster_wand.jpg (102 KB, 377x500) Image search: [Google]
Arcane_trickster_wand.jpg
102 KB, 377x500
Basically I want to see how the hive mind of /tg/ would face challnges that are currently presented in an official D&D module I'm reading. I'd like to make my BBEG not retarded. Thus, I'll make a very short quest.

We start of with our CM(Competent morherfucker) being a humaniod with about 15 years of adventuring experience under his(her?) belt. He is on the practical side of dealing with things and seen as "evil" by some rather retarded individuals. He has, in this generic D&D setting, asscumulated a significant amount of wealth and connections. He can set up a small strike force(say a dozen competent adventurers) if needed and is rather well connected in thieves and assassin guilds as well as some merchant guilds.

Recently he has been researching the whereabouts of The Shit. Via his connections he realized that a Dwarf pinpointed the location of The Shit.

What should be SMs next step?
>>
Well you posted a picture of a chick, so I guess she sends out feelers to determine the situation with The Shit. Like is it guarded?
>>
File: dwarf_by_delowar-d30lpxs.jpg (130 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_by_delowar-d30lpxs.jpg
130 KB, 800x650
>>46686786
OP here.

Am thinking of maybe using a chick as BBEG. My players are used only to sauron-type enemies. Anyway ...

Her spies figure out Dwarf has the Map to The Shit. It's still unclear where The Shit actually is ATM.

Dwarf, however, is not some bumbling idiot. He is a member of a large dwarven family who deal in underground research. Map could be stolen or Dwarf could be killed, but this could mean trouble. Not trouble our CM could not overcome, but trouble nevertheless.
>>
>>46686830

Ass To Mouth?
>>
Three points:

1. Do we need the shit?

2. How much do our perceivable enemies want the shit, and for what purpose?

3. How much will it cost to procure the shit relative to its value the organisation?
>>
File: yang_ringofthune.jpg (52 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
yang_ringofthune.jpg
52 KB, 620x453
>>46687113

>1. Do we need the shit?
It'd be a nice advantage. It'd make CM a regional player.

>2. How much do our perceivable enemies want the shit, and for what purpose?
Well, they want it because they are greedy. It's no like family heirloom, but you know, Dwarves. They want to use it to make money. Lots of money.

>3. How much will it cost to procure the shit relative to its value the organisation?

If CM moves fast and in a competent way, it will cost little. It's a powerful thing though.
>>
Why not hire adventurers to get The Shit and then off them? As in, poison the little shits when you offer them a dinner in your mansion for a job well done, at least that way nobody knows where The Shit is.
>>
>>46686652
>>46687485
Well OP, if said BBEG is competent, then there must be some recognition and thus some form of organization to thwart them from a Good or Neutral aligned Society.

How infamous is the BBEG?

What is her plan with the shit?

There is nothing wrong with making the BBEG competent enough to slip away into the shadows so that they can make another grab at the shit or continue a larger step plan.
>>
File: Power_Opening_Title.jpg (69 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Power_Opening_Title.jpg
69 KB, 640x360
>>46688283
An interesting idea.

>>46689030

>How infamous is the BBEG?
Not really. On the level of above-competent adventurer with a hint of "practicality"(evil) about him.

>What is her plan with the shit?
Gain power. Gain way to get lots of money. Then increase subtle influence in the region and adjecent regions. Basically make her/his life a bit swaggier in terms of BBEG.

>There is nothing wrong with making the BBEG competent enough to slip away into the shadows so that they can make another grab at the shit or continue a larger step plan.

VERY interesting. Didn't think of it.
>>
>>46689556
Ok, so if the BBEG isn't well-known then there won't be any groups after her.

How does this offer her money? Is she selling an artifact? Is it a recipe? Does she have a plan that she can crank profit out of it? Can she scam buyers? Would she double-cross NPCs or players? Does she have a mole in the party of adventurers?

I am glad you think that it is an interesting idea, in my mind, a competent BBEG makes multiple appearances. What does she do for a living?
>>
>>46690092

>How does this offer her money?
She can make valuable/powerful stuff from it.
>Is she selling an artifact?
No.
>Is it a recipe?
Recipe and a tools to make thins.

>Does she have a plan that she can crank profit out of it?
Yes. Get the thing, secure it somewhere, make things, sell them, get lots of money.

>Can she scam buyers?
Yes, but no need.

>Would she double-cross NPCs or players?
Of course.

>Does she have a mole in the party of adventurers?
Not yet.

What does she do for a living?
>Assasin/spy/supplier of rare things
>>
>>46690155
Ok, so she would be able to psudeo-industrialize something that would turn a great profit.
Is it legal?

Drop the Assassin part, make her a upper or mid ranking smuggler in a crime syndicate.
At this rate, she has contacts who she can move product for in exchange for information, currency, and favors. Anyone with money can throw it at bloodthirsty ruffians to kill a target. This is precisely what this character does when law-enforcement gets too involved. Plus smugglers can move shop if things get too hot.

By no means is she unwilling to get her hands dirty. She started as a smuggler and probably loves to feel the rush again.

Just some ideas.
>>
File: mm191_ycqp824myj.jpg (105 KB, 620x462) Image search: [Google]
mm191_ycqp824myj.jpg
105 KB, 620x462
>>46690328
Yep, It's legal.

And I'm taking this background for her. Cool.

So from this point on - how should she act? Got an idea?
>>
>>46690409
If its legal, she can use it as a front for other activities if its disguised well. Assuming she is successful of course.

Mannerisms? Hard to say. Think cheery business woman meets stock trader who gets constant updates from their smartphone.
>>
>>46690409
>>46690639

She has others who regulate outside information to her, so it wouldn't be absurd for her to have one or a handful of spymasters. Of course will meet with contacts if a large amount of information or money is involved, but for the most part is detached.

Family, Finances, and Product quality are her biggest concerns, for they are all the key to the door of efficiency. She is more concerned about making sure her machine is well oiled than the piddly affairs outside of it. She has those under her employment who can protect her assets. The information is more to regulate business ventures, provide leverage when needed, and to expand her well oiled machine.
>>
Of course you could cut down on the all strengths no weaknesses idea and have her settle for a seat on the syndicate council, head of "Product Placement", the other heads being "Asset Protection", "Monetary Adjustments", and "Client Networking". Makes her the wheels of the job, trying to make a quick buck on the side, unbeknownst to the others. (Obviously not the "Client Networking" head, she pays him off/he's in on it/owes her a favor/etc.)

Think Han Solo if he was part of a... trading organization.

And plus it gives her a ridiculously fantastic out if she does manage to get captured and/or imprisoned.
>>
File: mm56_map.jpg (76 KB, 620x233) Image search: [Google]
mm56_map.jpg
76 KB, 620x233
>>46690914

Quite detailed ideas, I have to agree.(and am thankful) But in this case Dwarf still has the location and our BBEG is no closet to The Shit.
>>
>>46691616
The Dwarf is in the PC party? or a seperate endeavor? Either way she can make an offer to pay off the one who looks shadiest (NPC or PC), if they refuse she can have some muscle kidnap them or leave a note that she desires to see them impressing with her status, or blackmail them into submission.

I'd imagine she would be direct, up front tell the character what she wants, make a meager offer, definitely willing to go up in money, favors, goods or a mix of all three.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.