[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /tg/ if you know of any good and fun spaceship combat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
Tell me /tg/ if you know of any good and fun spaceship combat games or tabletop systems. And your own experience with them.
Interested in checking them out.
>>
Full Thrust.
Or if you like the idea of symmetrical planning, but want lighter rules, X-Wing.
>>
>>46686404
Traveller.

I haven't played a lot, but the fact that the all game revolve around one crew is cool.
Everybody has it's place, even the gunfight guy ; he can man the turrets, or ready the counter-boarding.

Storytime ?
>Free Trader PC ship close in on distress signal
>Obviously fake, pirates try to attack them.
>Free Trader only has one weapon, who cost a lot of money.
>Of course with unlucky rolls, after one round, the weapon is disabled.
>The pirates try to close in to board, but can't because the pilote of the FT is making it difficult.
>PCs said "Fuck it, we can't escape, we do not have weapon anymore, there is only one thing to do"
>"Ram" the pirate ship to board it.
>The NPC Highclass safari hunter they have aboard take his rifle to help.
>The pirate ship was in bad shape and with fewer crew than usual
>Violent fight, half the party is injuried, and one badly by the Aslan pirate captain.
>They loot the cargo, 90 tons of spice.
>I can see the dollar sign in their eyes.

Tl;dr :
The point in my story is that in traveller, if done right, space combat isn't juste "combat" ; it's more than just firing on another ship until it falls other or looks like a little sun ; it's about why and how wage combat.
>>
Silent Death is a great hex based one.
>>
The absolute pinnacle is Attack Vector: Tactical, in terms of wargames. Absolutely silly levels of modeling, right down to how burning reaction mass will change your ships' handling, while still being surprisingly quick and a ton of fun.

In a similar Newtonian-space-combat vein, though a bunch more accessible (and free), you could try Voidstriker.

http://www.irrationaldesigns.com/TSOD/index.html
>>
File: cnsa_nanking_.jpg (499 KB, 1100x771) Image search: [Google]
cnsa_nanking_.jpg
499 KB, 1100x771
Great thread idea. Do any games exist like traveler that are played in a board game seting? My group normally won't stray from a boxed game that can be played in a couple hours...
>>
>>46687523
>Great thread idea. Do any games exist like traveler that are played in a board game seting? My group normally won't stray from a boxed game that can be played in a couple hours...

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a supplement for Traveller called "Trillion-Credit Squadron" where each player is in charge of a bunch of ships in a mass combat. I believe the rules are different from the standard RPG version, but I've never played it myself.
>>
>>46686404
We made one, actually. You can find it on 1d4chan. Or alternatively, pdf. related.
>>
File: FAI0601-2.jpg (298 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
FAI0601-2.jpg
298 KB, 900x598
I enjoy Firestorm Armada a lot. It's a very beer and pretzels space wargame, with simple rules and somewhat swingy mechanics (exploding sixes are a big part of the system) but a nice variety of fleets and ships available, and it creates those amazing moments where you get a lucky crit and an opponents detonating battleship wipes out half their fleet with its death throes, or a plucky little cruiser rolls amazingly well on shields and soars through a hail of fire unharmed.

Pic related is the battleship of one of my favourite subfaction, Hawker Industries.They're basically old school Ford in space, with a good work ethic, solid engineering and more technology than you'd expect. They're a natural ally of my main Terran fleet, and I basically take as many of their ships as possible because I love the old school ironclads in space look.
>>
>>46686404
Is that new wing commander I see?
>>
The one from Rogue Trader is functional, as long as the PC's have one of the smaller, faster ships, and they're fighting no more than 2 of 3 enemies. If they PC's have a big ship (light cruiser or bigger) or more than ship, or they're fighting more than 2 or three enemies, it becomes quite clunky.
>>
>>46686404

https://emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/full-thrust-project-continuum/

Full Thrust Project Continuum is an excellent community version of the Full Thrust rules, which is excellent and playable with any miniatures/setting you fancy.

I love it, take a look. Better than that onepageshit
>>
>>46686404
Personally, I'm fond of the old FASA trek game
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.