[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I Fucked Up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 200_s.gif (52 KB, 357x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
52 KB, 357x200
>Friend gives me Out of the Abyss cause he's a bro
>Read through it, don't get around to running it because I don't want to DM
>Start playing DnD again because a found a cool group of friends
>MFW I realize my DM's running Out of the Abyss

I don't want to bail because it's a /really/ /good/ group but I don't want to be That Guy who read the entire book beforehand and metagames heavily. Besides 'don't metagame, dumbass' what do I do?
>>
>>46685130
Talk to the DM about what kind of character to run.

Maybe there's a place for a well-informed guide for the party.
Maybe you just ought to be a mute mercenary.
Maybe the best option is to do something solo with the DM until their finished.
>>
File: 1270968855281.jpg (272 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1270968855281.jpg
272 KB, 1200x800
>>46685130
Rohypnol.

Alternatively, saturate yourself with another system's modules so your brain gets confused on the details. And deliberately don't think about this module.
>>
>>46685130
Hit yourself in the head with a brick until you forget.
Alternatively, just chill the fuck out. Let other players take the initiative when doing shit and only use your metagame knowledge when absolutely necessary.

Or instead of being That Guy who read the entire book and metagames, you could decide to be That Guy who totally derails the DM's game.
>>
>>46685130
In my opinion, you need to bail. It sucks, but you already know all the challenges and plot, so you kind of have to.
Modules aren't that great anyway OP
>>
>>46685130
Just let the other characters drive the plot forward, be there for the RP and the Combat, but don't bother trying to drive the plot.
>>
>>46685251
>deliberately don't think about this module
This is awful advice. You can't force yourself not to think about something, because by trying not to think about it you're already thinking about it.
>>
>>46685130
Either be straight with the DM and tell him you know the module but would like to keep playing, and figure out a solution together OR do what other anons said and just sit back, analogous to letting your teammates solve the puzzles when playing co-op portal or something.

Who knows, maybe the DM is twisting the module in his own way anyway, and you'll end up surprised.
>>
>>46685130
You know where the GM wants to go and the stuff he wants to see set off, why not help him?
I don't see this as a problem, just something you can play with.
>>
If you find yourself thinking "oh I know this situation, X will lead to Y", instead think "but as far as my character knows, he thinks X should be Z".

Roleplay faggot, put your head into your character.
>>
>>46685130
Just let the GM know this happened before hand and see what comes out of it. Who knows, you could make your character into the one that's secretly been plotting against the group. Make an interesting plot twist. If good ol crin/GM/aker can't create a plot twist and run with it, he's got a way's to go as a DM.
>>
>>46685130
As many anons wrote tell GM and see if you can play someone with a vision of the future.
And as a plot hook everytime you tell your group something or explain what comes next, the gm can penalize your character. Like visions come with a curse that costs you something.

So it would mean you have to lead or help your group, but without direct hints or be open about it?
Could be interesting quest for your play.
>>
>>46685130

Be straight with your GM, and take on a sort of insider role.

Play the game, and use your knowledge of the module to try and keep the plot moving forward/ the other players softly on the rails, but never reveal to the other party members that you know what is going to happen, and don't solve any of the major challenges yourself until the rest of the party gets stuck on something.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.