[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welcome to the elemental plane of metal. How metal are you and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Shrike_2.jpg (67 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Shrike_2.jpg
67 KB, 400x300
Welcome to the elemental plane of metal. How metal are you and how metal is your setting?

If you aren't brutal enough, I'll eat your fucking soul.
>>
>>46684686
40k, Fairly metal i'd say.
>>
>>46684686
Well, I like to impale my enemies on a massive thorn tree of alien metal, where they writhe in living agony for all eternity. How's that?
>>
>>46684716
I was hoping I'd get someone who'd read the book with this. Is the sequel worth reading? Just finished Hyperion and have heard conflicting reports
>>
>>46684755

You know how the first book very carefully limited your information about what was going on via close first person narratives?

We get to experience events from all of the characters views in a way that ruins most of the suspense and via a plot device that is incredibly stupid, and instead of being a set of interesting stories with set themes, we end up experiencing a slasher movie where the pilgrims are slowly hunted by the shrike which is intercut randomly by a weird mash up of a political thriller/star wars x-wing: Rogue Squadron story centering on the AI/Human/spaceblokes war.

the cliffnotes:
Fatty arbuckle gets stuck on the tree next to king billy
thingie who wanted to die dies
lady mcmiltonbrain has a tube stuck in her head and is transformed into The Lady Not-Appearing-In-This-Book
rachael is taken by the shrike at the moment when she would cease to have been conceived.
mr militarypants fights all the shrikes! It's less interesting than it sounds
the backstory to the treeship guy is boring and a total anticlimax
the proconsul has to travel all the way BACK to the city of hyperion to get his ship on the very magic carpet that was a key bit of his story because the president is bullying him and cockblocks his radio commands
>>
>>46684755
Fall of Hyperion, definitely, for closure. I enjoyed it a lot even though it diverged from the first storytelling mechanism and focused on the whiny old jew more that I would've liked
Endymion?
No.
>>
>>46684686
Infernum by Mongoose. You don't get more metal than d20 in hell.
>>
>>46686859
how horrifying
>>
>>46684755
I think the second book is worth reading if only to see how the rest of the story plays out. Don't read the Endymion books unless you like retcons.

I would also recommend his book Ilium, but then don't read Olympos; just make up your own ending after you get to the slight cliffhanger end in Ilium.
>>
>>46684686
>How metal are you
I'm made of diamond.
>>
File: HELL.png (993 KB, 744x638) Image search: [Google]
HELL.png
993 KB, 744x638
>>46684686
Hell is literally a huge, hollow rocky planet with nine internal layers. The Devil is the antistar in the middle of it. Hell likes to travel around and cast its hellish light through an opening which goes through all layers, bathing worlds in suffering.

TL;DR Hell is the Death Star, and Lucifer is its power core. Undeath itself was a side-effect of its existence.
>>
My two cents:
Book one is pretty much Canterbury tales, I actually didn't care for it as much as I did the rest of the series, but then I read it as a teen in the nineties and the shrike was fucking awesome at that point for me. So metal. I have actually reread Endymion and Rise recently, I still like the idea of fast space travel via resurrection since forces involved are too much for a body to survive.
And yes, the rest of the series is a very different feel than book one. If you loved book one, you will probably be a bit put off by the change in style, if you are okay with a science fantasy mash up with hand wavy metaphysics about human connection, it's a lot of fun. You get chances to cheer on shrike kun in some nice action scenes later on...
Also, I probably enjoyed ilium and Olympos more. That shit was funny.
Pretty much the author has great settings and then it gets weird as he explains it more. Literature and interpersonal connections underpin the metaphysics of his worlds.
>>
File: aniki.jpg (23 KB, 260x366) Image search: [Google]
aniki.jpg
23 KB, 260x366
>>46684686
My setting has Gods of war with hands of doom and hearts of steel. It's as metal as it can get.
>>
>>46684755
I rather liked Fall of Hyperion. It had good closure, a shitload of revalations that intertwined past stories, and was written terrifically, if differently from the first. If nothing else, its worth it just to see Ummon Plus we get a shitload of kassad fighting the fucking shrike
>>
It's based off of this fine piece of literature.
>>
>>46684686
I drink orange juice after brushing and flossing.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.