[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>start running the new DnD module >doing the tarot card
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 1458399223578.png (32 KB, 808x805) Image search: [Google]
1458399223578.png
32 KB, 808x805
>start running the new DnD module
>doing the tarot card randomization thing
>my least likable player knows exactly where each item is based off the reading
>Whats the deal playerguy?
>WHEN I HEARD YOU WERE RUNNING A PREPUBLISHED, I BOUGHT THE SAME BOOK AND READ IT COVER TO COVER ;)
>im not okay with this
>what is the point of me dropping thirty bucks on a book if you're going to cheat
>ITS NOT CHEATING
>how is it not cheating, you know the adventure before it happens
>IM NOT GOING TO METAGAME
>okay, fine
>rewrite a bunch of the encounters so they're different
>guy gets visibly annoyed and angry its not exactly out of the book
>YOUR RUNNING IT RONG
>i changed some stuff because you read ahead
>WOW YOU ARE A REALLY RESTRICTIVE AND SHITTY DM, NO FUN ALLOWED, HEY IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO RUN PATHFINDER AGAIN I WON'T BE A FUCKING DICK ABOUT IT
>other players refuse to take a side, saying "he has a point man, just run it, you can't argue with jerry on these things he wont let it go"
Why cant i meet a good group

its not even that he's being a faggot, its that he spoils it for everyone
OH THIS IS THE CHURCH WHERE THE PRIEST HAS HIS VAMPIRE SON LOCKED IN THE BASEMENT
thats not fun for anyone
>>
>buying premade adventures
>>
>>46684659

now now anon, its perfectly alright to buy premade adventures. For example, Out of the Abyss has a fully done up hexcrawling map of the Underdark, and full mechanics for Faezeruss and all of that shit

what you should have said was:

>running premade adventures and not just writing your own shit while using the best shit the book has to offer
>>
okay, meta time

i've been playing DnD for like, 20 years at this point.

I'm 40.

I've played with people around the world, lots of times at gencon, once played it in Japan with grognards there.

I have never in my life ran into the fucking eldritch nightmare players that get posted every day on /tg/

Do you people just make this shit up
>>
File: You really think.jpg (40 KB, 453x576) Image search: [Google]
You really think.jpg
40 KB, 453x576
>>46684650
>Why cant i meet a good group
Because you're acting like a pussy. Ditch the people who suck, and stick with people who are good. You're not going to get a good group by wasting your time on a shitty one.

>>46684700
>Do you people just make this shit up
>>
>>46684650
If you're too spineless to kick That Guy, you don't have what it takes to DM.
>>
>>46684659
Some people, myself included, don't have very much time to plan adventures because of school, family, work, or a combination.

So running premades means I can cut down the time to a fraction of what plotting our my own campaign would be.
>>
>>46684650
kill he
>>
>>46684955

premades dont cut out prep time, fucking faggot

they fucking add to it.

Premades mean you need to:
a) read the entire book beforehand
b) keep the plot running at a smooth pace and make sure that the PCs understand whats going on at all times

I literally crank out a homebrew setting and just throw in whatever for each mission. I change shit around based on what they do.
>>
>>46684650
Kick him out.
>>
>>46684650

Set him on fire in the backyard.
>>
>>46685217
>>46685234

calm down tg
>>
>>46685217
This guy got it.

Also, why the hell would you TELL them not only that you're running a pregen, but WHICH pregen you're running? Keep that shit on a need-to-know basis. None of the players need to know.
>>
>>46684650
Sorry dude, this is why you don't tell your players shit other than three things:
What their character would know because of the region they are from.
If the campaign requires or bans specific spells/skills/etc. to function and what those are.
How outside of the rules you are comfortable going.
>>
>>46685040
You forgot dealing with player reactions and solutions that go beyond the premade, making sure their genuinely clever ideas won't crash plots and encounters 60 pages later.
>>
>>46685295
Well some are expensive purchaces and shelling out for a setting that you can't play in yourself, once its run as GM there's little magic left.
>>
>>46684650
Kick him from the group. If the rest of the group doesn't want to play with you afterwards for whatever reason, find another group. There are plenty of good groups out there, and plenty of people looking to find a good GM like you who is willing to pay 30 bucks for a cool module. Don't waste your time with assholes.
>>
>>46685295
In addition to what >>46685466 said, I've had times where I wanted to run a pregen with my players but one of them had already played it. If you run it by them first you make sure none of them have played it before, thus making it far more fun and interesting.

The core problem here isn't that OP told the players what he was going to run, it's that That Guy decided to read the module and spoiled not only himself, but the other players as well! That's just bad form.
>>
>>46684700
Dude, I'm like 33 and I've played erratically for 15 years.

I have definitely met people like in OPs story. Not nearly coming to the worst of others.

Never a whole fucking group though, oh my god what is wrong with your group. At best someone would do this and everyone would tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>46684700
I've met far worse.
Some game communities are refuse pits where the worst human refuse and scum congeal and ferment.
>>
>>46684650

Been a while since we played rpg´s, but when we did, the GM was the rules. He was God basically, and if you fucked with his shit like this, you would get penalized for it. Swedish old school rpg´s used to have this "the main rules" on every first page
1. The game master is always right
2. If, by any chance the game master shouldn't be right, refer to rule number 1.
This said allot on the power of the GM. Its your game, if they don't like it, they can fuck of or sit it out and wait for a better adventure. To buy a pre-made and re-write some of the stuff is just in the spirit of the game, where you as a GM has a chance to put your own touch to the adventure.
>>
>>46684650
Fuck That Guy. You should literally rocks fall him. Then kick him out. If the group doesn't understand how fucked that is either you really shouldn't DM for that group any more because they're a bunch of cunts.
>>
>>46684650
Is... this just the thread from like, last night from the opposite point of view?
>>
>>46685708

what do you mean anonalon?
>>
>>46684650
Have you thought that maybe YOU'RE the That Guy, and if the player finds it more fun to read ahead in the module and spoil himself, then that's his choice?

Wait, did you outright tell the players "Don't read spoilers" or "Don't look ahead in this module" or "Has anyone played this module before? This module doesn't really work if you've played it before, you have to learn it as you go" or something along those lines?

If you told the player not to get equipped with spoilers, and he did so anyway, then that IS his problem and you should call him a prick about it.
But if you DIDN'T tell the player to avoid spoilers, and he went ahead and spoiled himself and the other players, then you taking issue with that is very much your problem.
You're expecting the player to live up to demands that you never discussed with them beforehand, and that is not cool.

Of course if you DID make the demands beforehand, the player understood, the player agreed to follow them, then the player got spoilers anyway, the player is the prick.
>>
>>46685708
Someone complained that the GM didn't run the campaign "the right way"?
>>
>>46684700
I played with some gay players IRL that would constantly try to gay ERP in game.

Other than that I either haven't found the fun players, or I found them but didn't think of them as noteworthy or a problem in any way.
>>
>>46685794
>>46686353
>>46649332
>>
>>46686348
>if the player finds it more fun to read ahead in the module and spoil himself, then that's his choice?
But OP said he spoils shit out loud, so he's ruining things for the rest of the group whether they want him to or not.

>Wait, did you outright tell the players "Don't read spoilers" or "Don't look ahead in this module" or "Has anyone played this module before?
Aside from "has anyone played this before" those should all be assumed. Absolute minimum, the player who wants to read ahead should ask the GM if he's cool with it if the GM didn't specify.
>>
>>46685436
Those are fun. Typically I just let the premade go off da railz and crash itself.

>>46685495
>>46685217
>>46685704
Am I reading OP wrong tho?
Nobody told Mr. Spoiler to not engage in spoilers until after he'd already spoiled himself. Can't blame him for failing to follow rules that you never explained.

With how quick you are to ban a guy for having "the wrong kind of fun" I'd think you guys were NeoGAF or twitch.tv , or that you have literally 0 experience in having fun in a group of people (some of whom have different tastes to yourself).

I don't get why OP was called Restrictive tho. Nothing about running a module and changing it is restrictive.
I think OP isn't telling us the whole story.
Why'd your spoiled player called you restrictive and shitty and implied you were a dick?

Was there something you restricted him from doing?
Were these restrictions placed for a shitty reason?
Were you a dick about them?
I think you're not telling us the whole story. Maybe YOU'RE the bad apple here.

>its not even that he's being a faggot, its that he spoils it for everyone
>OH THIS IS THE CHURCH WHERE THE PRIEST HAS HIS VAMPIRE SON LOCKED IN THE BASEMENT
>thats not fun for anyone
You don't want your players getting hype for the Vampire Son fight?
>>
>>46686410
>rolling a Monk in Pathfinder because you want to powergame
>rolling all 18s on stats

The OP in that other threat is clearly bait, and on top of that it's lazy bait.

Is OP trying to fake one of those times where /tg/ finds two people on opposite sides of a dispute who each made separate threads about the same issue?
>>
>>46686412
>But OP said he spoils shit out loud, so he's ruining things for the rest of the group whether they want him to or not.
Q. Did the group tell him they don't want to be spoiled, or is it 1 prick (OP) demanding that the player doesn't spread spoilers, when the rest of the group is okay with it?

> those should all be assumed.
No, they should not. You place demands on a player that you don't even explain to them and you get pissy when they fail to follow your demands, you're being the exact same kind of asshole that /tg/ constantly complains about.

The proper response is "I am sorry, I didn't explain {x}, can you refrain from doing {x}?" to which your player will either agree, or tell you to shove it because you're clipping into his fun on short notice. Most of the time they'll agree. It takes a LOT of unfair treatment to most players before they'll call you out on it.

>Absolute minimum, the player who wants to read ahead should ask the GM if he's cool with it if the GM didn't specify.
I've tried to ask ahead about the 300 fucking things the various neckbeards get salty about and it ALWAYS turns out there's a 301st.

Perhaps the best strat is "accept that someone's gonna get salty about some bullshit you never expected, and cope with it when it happens by telling them to stop being so damn salty".
>>
>>46686417
Hype<Plot twist.
It's as jumpscare is to suspense.
>>
>>46686458
Makes sense.
Still, the way /tg/ is absolutely intolerant of people having BadWrongFun, you'd think /tg/ were bigger That Guys than most That Guys.
>That's just 3 faggots on /tg/ overreacting, most of /tg/ is normal and sane and rational
I know. You'd think there'd be more "People enjoy different things; cope with it and find mutual enjoyment rather than having your first response be ban/ragequit" responses tho.

I do agree that if a player understands a rule and agrees to follow it, but then doesn't follow it anyway, that is some bullshit and SHOULD be punished.
Same as if one player is consistently getting the short end of the stick, the worst side of the deal, or the unfavourable outcome out of all the new rules that come into play.
If there's one player who is consistently screwed over by the others' demands, that is also bullshit and in an ideal world there'd be some recompense.
Players can be astonishingly selfish though, demanding to have things go their way 100% of the time and acting indignant and pissy and morally righteous when someone else wants to do something else.

That applies both to people who demand "no spoilers" when someone else wants to spoil, AND to people who demand "I must spoil" when others do not want to be spoiled.
>>
>>46686417
>>OH THIS IS THE CHURCH WHERE THE PRIEST HAS HIS VAMPIRE SON LOCKED IN THE BASEMENT

>Gm then calls it for the night so he can find material to replace the 2-3 sessions the investigation of disappearances, the wild goose chase the priest sends them on, the search for the vampire's lair would take.
>>
>>46686533
Or you could not do that.
Who does that benefit? You waste your time making the homebrew and the spoilerman wastes his time reading the now defunct info.

Just let the game break, man. You don't replace those sessions, you just let the party use their knowledge to skip 'em.
>>
>>46686348
Anybody who does not know already you should not read a module or spoil it is is a selfish piece of shit who does not deserve to play games with others.

>>46686531
Why are you defending selfish behaviour?

And stop that ridiculous false equivalence, not wanting spoilers trumps wanting to be the kind of person who spoils it for others every time. Because only a selfish person would even consider deliberately doing that.
>>
>>46686754
What a horrible, defeatist attitude.

And who gives a crap if he wasted his time? He is the one at fault here.
>>
>>46686440
>I don't understand unspoken social contracts

Either this is bait or you are literally autistic.
>>
>>46684650
Grow a pair.

Tell him to either deal with the fact that you rewrote shit or hit the bricks. If he bitches again, kick him out.
>>
>>46686348
You're right. When I see a movie, I need to shout "NO SPOILERS!" Otherwise it's my fault if someone yells out the climactic twist.

You're an idiot
>>
>>46684650
You two deserve each other.
>>
>>46684650
why were you running an adventure path 100% out of the book anyway
>>
>>46684700

I meet an asshole in every single game I've ever been. Seems like you only meet solid people, ya lucky grognard.
>>
>>46686754
>Determine module
>Set up game
>Meet
>"So, has everyone read the module?"
>Nodding all around
>"Good campaign, everyone."
>Pack up and go home.

Yeah, sounds great.
>>
>>46684700
Oh, they exists, but they only congregate around other degenerates. So if you are a social reject your tendency to 'settle' for these shity players is pretty high.
>>
>>46686417
>nobody told the guy not to read up on every encounter, the entire plot, and every NPC they encounter. Its not like those things are for a DMs eyes only or anything.

If you dont see a problem with this then I dont know what to say. Adding to that he revealed a fairly vital story component which the other players likely wanted to figure out for themselves.

Theres a large difference between having your own kind of fun and ruining the fun of others.
>>
>>46688048
>>nobody told the guy not to read up on every encounter, the entire plot, and every NPC they encounter. Its not like those things are for a DMs eyes only or anything.
It's funny, because pretty much every module ever says 'If you're going to play in this, DON'T FUCKING READ IT.' right in the front.
>>
>>46686417
>Nobody told Mr. Spoiler to not engage in spoilers until after he'd already spoiled himself. Can't blame him for failing to follow rules that you never explained.
When you invite a couple friends to see a mystery film together, you shouldn't have to explicitly tell them "By the way, don't look up the ending online and then spoil everyone while we're watching the trailers."

There are unspoken social contracts that come into play when group of people gather to enjoy a piece of media together. Not spoiling it for everyone else is one of them.
>>
I kick this in the bud when using adventure paths by changing them from day 1.

I also play with /tg/ so I know my idiots have read all of them as they come out.
>>
>>46684650
I don't know why people are putting you in the wrong, here. I agree with showing boundaries, but he was a massive dickhole all around.

>ITS NOT CHEATING
Yes it is.

>IM NOT GOING TO METAGAME
Yes he did.

>YOUR RUNNING IT RONG
Because he wanted to metagame.

>WOW YOU ARE RESTRICTIVE, NO FUN ALLOWED
Cheating is taking away the fun from yourself.

>Other players apathetically accept his bullshit out of experience.

I'm have literal autism and I think that the douchecanoe has it, too. The group just doesn't care.

>>46684700
One of my players explicitly told me with a shit eating grin that he copied my campaign notes from my USB stick. I thought he was joking. He was not. Not only did he copied it, he TOOK it. Ctrl + X instead of C.

There are dilholes out there you won't believe.
>>
>>46684700
I've only played for about 6 years, and I have met two pretty shitty people (3 if you count the guy who only plays 3.5 because he thinks it's perfect), but they still weren't this bad.
>>
>>46684700
Out of the maybe 20 people I have played D&D with, 4 have been objectively terrible and one has been just annoying.
>>
>>46684700

You're the That Guy of your groups.
>>
>>46686348
So it's not reasonable to assume that a player won't metagame like fuck and spoil the module for the rest of the group?

What other disclaimers do you typically issue to cover behaviour that ought to be obvious?
>>
>>46691467

lol
>>
>>46684700
You're probably a bland pushover who contributes nothing to the game.
>>
>>46684700
Never had this problem, only problem player I had was trying to Munchkin a 5e Warlock using pathfinder rules, but he was new.
It does happen, but you usually have to go out of your way to find them.
>>
>>46692884
>>46691467

>people just throwing insults at him

wow
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.