[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm dying to make a setting like Treasure Planet, 17/18th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: treasure_planet_2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
treasure_planet_2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I'm dying to make a setting like Treasure Planet, 17/18th century, the age of sailing recycled in space.
It's really easy to imagine the colonial powers in space but I want a deeper lore.

Are you guys up for some brainstorming?
>>
File: 1327041873333.jpg (39 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1327041873333.jpg
39 KB, 1024x576
Please
>>
What, specifically, are you hung up on?
>>
>>46684404
Try Rogue Trader.
>>
>>46684404
Spelljammer is pretty similar.
>>
File: 1384388679547.png (162 KB, 389x1097) Image search: [Google]
1384388679547.png
162 KB, 389x1097
Bump for interest.
>>
File: Obersteins asbergers.jpg (512 KB, 1000x1512) Image search: [Google]
Obersteins asbergers.jpg
512 KB, 1000x1512
>>46684404
Couple of directions you might wanna look at for inspirations.
>Battlefleet gothic for that 17/18th century naval wafare in spehss
>Legend of the galactic heroes to see some space Prussians duking it out with space French
>>
File: Amalia___huge_tits.jpg (209 KB, 1816x1080) Image search: [Google]
Amalia___huge_tits.jpg
209 KB, 1816x1080
>>46684404
Yep, treasure planet thread... Better find a tissue.
>>
>>46684404

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Planet:_Battle_at_Procyon

That'll give you some background. It's also a damn good game.
>>
>>46686980
That game was so great.

Battlefleet Gothic is a lot similar now, I think.

But yeah, it will expand the background, even if it's not entirely "canon" (I think about the guy who is dead is the movie but show up in the game)
>>
>>46687043
Same VA and same character portrait, but he did have a different name.
>>
>>46687204
Turnbuckle ?

I remember it has the same name, and even the wikia suggest "an alternate storyline", where I would have put "they forgot that he died"
source : http://treasure-planet.wikia.com/wiki/Turnbuckle
>>
>>46684404
Dungeons the Dragoning
>>
>>46684404
Mandatory viewing is Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
>>
>>46687221
We are talking about the guy working as first officer of Jimmy here, right?
His name was Onyx if i remember right.
>>
>>46687221
Oh yeah THAT guy, disregard my earlier post >>46687554
Did he die in the movie?
Was it at that one lifeboat scene where a bunch of pirates fall through the lifeboat bay and into the atmosphere of the TP?
>>
>>46687566
No he fell into the core of TP when the booby trap self destruct sequence activated.
>>
>>46687554
No no, Onyx is just the same species of the guy from the movie ;
I was thinking of the helmsman of the RLS Legacy, who died falling in the fire in the end of the movies, and reappeared in the game to give Jim a McGuffin.
>>
>>46687615
>>46687627
Right, right, that guy, i also didn't read the article and just saw the picture of the guy and realized we were talking about that guy.

All in all, disregard my previous posts, i suck dicks.
>>
>>46687661
Nah don t worry, we all are.
>>
File: Space ship Treasure Planet.jpg (24 KB, 485x311) Image search: [Google]
Space ship Treasure Planet.jpg
24 KB, 485x311
>>46686980
It's good for what it was - hardly complex or anything, but I did love the ship designs, and refining everything with the crew and armaments to be just so was always cool

I seem to remember that if you kind of ignore the crews and stuff you could get like 10 of a fast, medium sized ship with good armament, which was pretty neat - felt like a full battle squadron or something
>>
>>46687775
Or you could go for the max point battle, put everything on one heavy ship, best crew, best weapon and you could see it wrecked two fleets alone
>>
>>46687861
Not the max points ship, iirc, unless you went filthy Procyon and got a Dreadnought (I consdidered spoilering, but it's a decade old obscure disney game) - wasn't the most expensive Royal Navy one essentially the normal huge ship with the front replaced with the huge and awkward mega-mortar or something (never question how mortars work in space)

The 10 decent ships with scrub crews was on max points though
>>
>>46687930
Oh no I was Royal Navy, with maxed out Manowar, plasma guns and everything. Didn't need anything else !
The megamortar wasn't really worth it for the polyvalence. Yeah it had its place in a fleet, but for a lone ship, it was pretty useless.
>>
>>46684404
As LOTGH has gotten brought up several times, I would like to echo I would LOVE to see a setting thats more like this, than Pirates of the Carribean in space. AKA how the era of the high sea's actually were, with multifarious Empire's duking it out in a huge land and business rush
>>
>>46688100
Yeah, the megamortar needed to be in a fleet - but a tooled up Man o' War would do fine. Especially with those sexy plasma guns on its big batteries.

I always liked spending spare points on torpedo boats, they had such an impact for their minimal cost
>>
>>46684404
Despite its variable quality, and lacking the wood-and-sails look, I feel Honor Harrington should be at least mentioned
>>
>>46686448
I disagree respectfully.
LoGH was about space prussian duking it with space americans.
And it wasn't naval warfare in space, but Napoleonic Infantry in space.

Still one of my favourite show though
>>
>>46688691
Yeah i was thinking that OP might get some ideas for in-universe lore or something.
>>
>>46688181
I tried reading those books and i died out of autism
>>
>>46688181
I was thinking this. Honor Harrington has its issues, but most of them are resolved by Weber's later Safehold series. Rather than being Age of Sail in space, it's an android from a high tech space civilization getting thrown into the Age of Sail. Really interesting, teaches you a lot about nautical stuff, and a fun read all around. OP should definitely check it out.
>>
>>46691623
I'll check that out.
Does the MC stay above tolerable, at least?

Though I have no doubt that I'll continue to read the Harrington novels to their drawn-out conclusion, in part because I'm invested at this point.
>>
>>46692189
Yes, actually. Nimue Alban has a lot in common with Honor, but she's nowhere near as much of a mary sue as Honor is, and she shares the spotlight with a lot of other characters.
>>
>>46692213
Ah nice.

I do like Honor (still), but it is trying at parts. At least in the early books she had fuckups.
Also, I swear Grayson is the source of like 50% of the cringe in those books, as well as clearly being Weber's magical realm (complete with katanas) - even the comedy moments like the GNS Honor Harrington don't excuse that much author favour.
>>
File: FILE1495.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
FILE1495.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
/tg/ I'm dissapoint, I expected this thread to be a full blown magical real of cat girls.

Getting real I wanted to hear ideas about the factions/nations and what kind of planets and species could be there.
>>
>>46692533
As OP says, the colonial powers IN SPACE is easy, but getting the whole thing done nicely is a bit of a challenge.
>>
>>46684404
TP is a Spelljammer rip-off
>>
>>46694327
Do you literally have learning difficulties?
>>
Daily reminder that Kida is the superior obscure Disney waifu than that dogfucking-whorecat Captain Amalia.
>>
>>46694481
Is she a bloody Admiral?
If not, then get out of the way peasant, swerve
>>
>>46694605
No, but she is a princess, a later a queen after marrying the nerdy white savior protagonist.
>>
You are all now aware that the same people that made Homeworld Cataclysm made Treasure Planet: Battle of Procyon.
>>
bamp
>>
>>46694481
Okay, but find me a better Not!Dad than Silver. (also, this is one of the few movies where actual dad is still straight-up alive, but has just fucked off, and the mother is still around)

And bear in mind he has gunlimbs
>>
>>46699860
Nah, Silver is the best Not!Dad.
>>
>>46699860

Silver actually was a pretty good father figure.

I mean, he was a pirate, and true to his nature was murdering, thieving scum; but when he bonded to Jim he actively wanted the boy to pursue something that made him happy, something he had a great deal of potential for, and he didn't even really want Jim to become a pirate with him, wanting something better than Silver himself could provide.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.