[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/ - Gurps General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1460320007899.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1460320007899.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Vehicles When? edition.

Have any of you ever had a game where cars, planes, submarines, etc. played a major part, or were the entire focus of, the campaign? Have you used any vehicle combat rules? How did it that work out for you?

Personally, I've never been in a game with vehicles as the major focus, or even used vehicle combat rules. I've always wanted to run a game that took place on the Krajina Express, though.
>>
>>46676163
Fast-Draw does not exist for all weapons, including staves IIRC. However it's a moot point; while >>46676574 is right is that holding the staff in a "walking staff" position is different than holding it in a "combat" position (to say nothing off the two-handed-swordlike grip), I'd say that going between walking with it and fighting with it as a staff is a free action. At worst, pick up Grip Mastery; it's one point and there's no way anyway can argue it takes a full second to Ready the staff after walking with it.
>>
>>46676935
There are plenty of ways you can have a weapon in hand and still have to take a Ready action to be able to attack with it. Weapons that unready after swinging, for example.

To go back to the staff, a walking grip has your hand near the top, which is completely unsuitable for attacking with it. You'd have to slide your hand down most of the length of the staff, probably even involving your off hand to help adjust your grip.

I wouldn't argue with making it a free action myself, since I don't think it's vitally important or anything, but I wouldn't argue with it being a Ready action either.
>>
Oh, right, forgot I actually came here to ask a question:

What's the best way to represent a character that's made minor enemies all over the place, without having to stat up dozens of individual Enemy disadvantages? I'm working on a rough-and-tumble scoundrel type that's ruffled a lot of feathers all over the place.

A Reputation doesn't really work (though I'll probably have some of that anyway), since a reaction modifier isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like to do something like roll against frequency upon entering a new area or staying in place for a while, and on a "success" one of the character's enemies is either already there (for a new area), or has tracked him down (if he sits still for too long). I'd also like the enemy types to vary as well... sometimes a Watcher, sometimes a Hunter, most often a Rival, something like that.

Bonus points if the method used also works for minor allies, since he's also made a lot of friends all over as well.

Is there anything that works like this, or lets me get close?
>>
>>46677376
For minor allies, provided they don't set off on adventures with you, one could do Claim to Hospitality. Two or five points, depending on how many minor allies and their resources available. Otherwise, just buy an ally group. For the enemies, you can just take Enemy as a group, or an inverse Claim to Hospitality if they just get you blacklisted from services.
>>
Are there any articles on TK, especially flight, in Zero-G?

I'm playing with, eh, I'll call it a Space Gecko. Pulled from an old favourite series and heavily adapted, I'm basing them off of the combat Void Dancer lens from Ultra Tech.

Giving them extra hands (Feet), a tail, and TK.

Would giving them the ability to talk via bone conduction be a perk? They can vibrate a hard plate on their head to simulate a voice. (An attempt to give them echolocation against solid objects, it didn't work, but they can press the ridges together and talk)
>>
>>46677488
There should definitely be a chance of someone wanting to kill me outright, so I don't think anti-Hospitality would work. I'm not sure an enemy group works all that well either, since it's really only one or two people at a time at most...

Hmm... thinking on it, maybe I could just take a weak enemy, and have the GM randomize them whenever the frequency roll hits.
>>
Is the Remington 700's recoil wrong in High Tech? It has higher recoil than any other 7.62 AND higher than the M82...
>>
>>46677664
High-Tech Weapon Tables says it's correct; might be due to the 700 being under 8 lbs., while all over 7.62x51 is 10 lbs. or more?
>>
>>46677664
Recoil 4?
That's in line with other similar weapons.
moist nugger has 4 recoil with a reasonably similar caliber, and one of the higher tech rifles (AI AW) with the exact same caliber has 3 recoil at the cost of a vastly higher weight (7.8/03 vs 15/1)

seems pretty sensible to me
>>
>>46677664

As the rifle in question has RoF 1, when would the Rcl come into play?
>>
>>46678662
There are ways you could increase the RoF on guns (realistically, cinematically, or mystically), so it's probably just there as a placeholder for if you you manage to do that.

That said, I haven't done much reading on GURPS gun stuff yet (I just got started with the system, and fantasy is my preferred genre, so that's all I've been looking at so far), so there could be some other time it comes into play.
>>
>>46677376
If you've pissed off lots of people but not enough for them to care about acutely finding you or punishing you, it's a Reputation.

For enemies where you've made a ton, just pick something that loosely connects the large group and build them as a large group of enemies.

IE:

Enemy: People that want to find me are Watchers that show up at 9 or less. They are a group of 50 people.

Enemy: People that want to beat me are rivals that show up on a 6 or less. Group of 50.

Enemy: People that want to kill me are hunters that show up on 3 or less. Group of 10.

Good luck if every roll passes at once.
>>
>>46676799
>
Have any of you ever had a game where cars, planes, submarines, etc. played a major part, or were the entire focus of, the campaign? Have you used any vehicle combat rules? How did it that work out for you?

Yeah, a After The End game I'm in is sort of Mad Max on water in the Puget Sound (think small inlets and islands and harbors with huge, ruined cities).

Vehicle combat rules are weird, or we are using them wrong. In any case they seem confusing. Keeping the kitbashed steam engine running is a long term challenge and we do a lot of carrying fresh scrap and supplies back to the boat and carrying trade from one settlement to the other while raiders in kayaks and rowboats and rafts try to stop us.
>>
File: PugetSound-NASA.jpg (768 KB, 688x924) Image search: [Google]
PugetSound-NASA.jpg
768 KB, 688x924
>>46681450
Lots of places to go there, and plenty of dangerous places for a boat even without the end of the world as we know it.

>To the west, snowy mountains and a rain forest.

What kind of asshole made this setting?
>>
>>46680017
I've settled on trying to go with the second option, but since only one or two at a time are going to have a chance to show up, what I'll probably do is just buy them as 4-5 minor enemies instead of large enemy groups. It's not like there are 50 people working together to track me down and get revenge, just that, every so often, I run into one or two people that I pissed off in the past.

So I'll more likely do something like:
Rival, 1 Less Powerful Enemy, Frequency 9
Rival, 3-5 Less Powerful Enemies, Frequency 6
Rival, 1 More Powerful Enemy, Frequency 3
Hunter, 1 Less Powerful Enemy, Frequency 6
Hunter 3-5 Less Powerful Enemies, Frequency 3

There's a chance of a big ol' mob coming for him, but that's why he's good at running away (something he's had to do many times before) if his Fast-Talk rolls fail. Most of the time, though, it'll only be one or two... I'll avoid doing a More Powerful Hunter, since this character might be rash, but he knows better than to piss off powerful people badly enough that they actually want him dead.

It'll be a different person/different people each time, and even if I kill them, they'll keep coming. I'll probably put "Unknown" on them, too, since he'll never really know if any of the people he's pissed off are in the area... and he probably forgets most of the people he's annoyed shortly after leaving an area.

I'll run all this by my GM here soon, I think.
>>
How does GURPS handle travel in Urban environments?

Random Encounters? Traffic Jams that act as delays? Anything in the supplements or Pyramids that give ideas?
>>
Is there a more scientific way of making fictional weapons than just adjusting stats of something else till they look like they fit?
>>
>>46683315
What kind of fictional weapon? Low Tech Companiom 2 is for melee (pick with super long haft and flail at the end? DONE!). Pyramid's Tech and Toys 2 has blaster design and /tg/ has its own as well. 3e vehicles has a surprisingly solid firearm design section (just remember to half ACC when converting to 4e).
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-14+at+11.55.53).png (24 KB, 538x472) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-14+at+11.55.53).png
24 KB, 538x472
>>46683481
In this case, a man-portable 20mm cannon for a telekinetic. No, it's not being loaded for lethal rounds, it's being loaded with UT Tangler shot. Can't go killing people, you know. Pic related is what I have for the stats right now, partially hashed out with my GM.
>>
>>46683795
>Can't go killing people, you know
>damage 6d×2
Uh-huh.
>>
>>46683795
>>46683481
>>46683315

If you use anything out of UT you can pretty much just start eyeballing stuff. Balance isn't crazy important.
>>
>>46684232
Tangler rounds don't deal the weapon's normal damage, presumably because they burst into a cloud of silly string well before hitting their target.
>>
>>46682201
Seems relatively safe, given you won't ever face more then 1 more powerful foe at a time going for blood. A posse showing up to bring you down could be pretty deadly, however. With a hunter group it's kill-or-capture, so brace yourself.

Frequency 3 always seems like a crock to me so I might not allow it. There is a very good chance of never facing them.
>>
>>46682515
Anybody? Do you autists not keep track of these things in gritty campaigns?

Fuel costs? Travel time, etc.
>>
>>46684654
If it's interesting to the story, I'll have consequences for a roll be shit like that. "Oh, you failed your driving roll by 2. It takes more time as you forget to take off the parking break. Oh, you succeeded on your navigation roll. You get there in good time by taking back roads to avoid the pileup on I-666."

But then again, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to GURPS, and run it pretty fast and loose. If my players wanted me to be autistic about it, I'd tell them no, and suggest we do something else.
>>
I'll admit I haven't tried it, but am I correct in my estimation that Sorcery is unlikely to be any good at low-average point levels? In particular it seems like the core advantage doesn't scale down well and you may as well just do regular "Magic as Powers".
>>
>>46684773
What do you mean by 'low-average' point levels? Personally speaking, I don't think Sorcery becomes 'viable' for contributing to a party until you're at 150 points or so. I have a Sorcerer that specializes in fire and ice, and they have a damage spell, a wall spell, and a weapon buff that adds burning damage (incendiary or otherwise). The wall spell alone has been very useful.
>>
>>46684817
What I meant was, like, up to the mid-200s, I guess. It just seems vaguely depressing to look at your, like, four levels of Sorcery and try to think of something useful to improvise.
>>
File: Газ-69.jpg (16 KB, 280x177) Image search: [Google]
Газ-69.jpg
16 KB, 280x177
>>46684654
Generally they don't keep up. Outside of a chase or combat in a city, it's not important exactly how long it takes to drive cross town, or how much fuel you use. Most adventurers, I assume, keep their fuel tank topped up and the cost of fuel is factored into upkeep.

It's pretty simple to create your own story conflicts for players to overcome in an urban setting. Getting across town as fast as you can or while avoiding police hunting for you could be a whole story.
>>
>>46684434
> Frequency 3 always seems like a crock to me so I might not allow it. There is a very good chance of never facing them.

Well, what I'm trying to do is make it very likely that somebody will be after me in any given adventure, but have a sort of gradient of who and how powerful they are. So I'm looking at it as more of a combined thing... I wouldn't take a Frequency 3 Enemy on its own (point crocks aside, that's just not interesting), I'm just using that as a way to jury-rig a sliding scale of Enemy.

Besides, a group of 3-5 50% CP enemies on a Frequency of 3 is -1 point, so it's really more like a Quirk than a crock anyway.
>>
>>46684944
Pretty much this, BUT

If your campaign is either about exploration of wilderness, traversing said wilderness or some style of post-apo, fuel suddenly becomes THE very most important factor. People tend to forget about proper food rations, but not fuel if you are playing, say, Reign of Steel.

So while in most cases fuel, time travel and maintaince are non-existing issues, there are certain types of settings and scenario where they are more important than anything else.

Alternatively - just put time limit on players to get from point A and B on long-range distance and suddenly you've created a logistic nightmare
>>
>>46684865
Oh, yeah, Sorcery's improv is dogshit. I don't even bother looking at that sort of thing unless I have somewhere around 10~15 points to work with. IMO Sorcerous Empowerment's modular abilities doesn't justify itself. Maybe if it was equal to Sorcery Levels * 2, it'd start to look good.
>>
So... kind of noob question, as that would be my first character made fully by myself.

It's suppose to be (very) low fantasy - meaning no functional magic - TL4 setting homebrewed by the GM. And I'm suppose to play as a cat burglar. 150 points, including 30 from disadvantages (got that already covered with Curious, Compulsive Gambling, low Wealth, Skinny and Status - Woman)
Can someone advice me some advantages or discourage some of those I've picked so far by myself? So far I've got:
Acute Hearing
Ambidexterity
Catfall
Flexibility
Fit
Gizmo
High Manual Dexterity
Nightvision
Perfect Balance
Totalling with 53 points, so it's kind of tight on a budget. I know for sure that Gizmo just must stay, but I'm not very sure about the rest. The character is pretty much a non-combatant. Also, skill advices would ge really great, aside the obvious:
Acrobatics, Climbing, Forced Entry, Lockpicking, Observation, Search, Stealth and Traps.
I've read Animal Handling (Dogs) can be useful to deal with guarding dogs, but how it's used in practice? I'm rolling to pet the dog and say "Good boy", giving him a treat?
>>
>>46685303
The question that comes to mind is why are you paying for that modular ability you won't use much when you could spend those points on another neat spell to alternate ability everything to? Or, as DM, why make your players do this.
>>
>>46685424
Just to clarify - that means there are 120 points to spent AND 30 to get from disadvantages.
>>
>>46685424
>Ambidexterity
Why?
>Forced Entry
You can use combat skill instead with same bonuses. And I doubt you will want to break in loudly when you has lockpicking.
>>
File: hsDNItP.jpg (147 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
hsDNItP.jpg
147 KB, 960x720
>>46685301
IMC fuel's consumed, for After the End machines, in miles-per-gallon, with distances mutliped by a factor based on how well you can navigate an area.

IE: You've got a buggie based on a motorcycle engine that can make 50 miles per gallon and 20 miles per hour.

You are traveling though an unmapped, badly ruined city the GM says has a .1 multiplier. You can go 5 miles per gallon, and 2 miles per hour. You are also in serious danger of attack, given you can only creep slowly and carefully though ruined streets and have to stop to clear rubble or push ruined cars aside, so you won't be running away fast.

In my game it's rare to find anywhere with a 1x road or open water.
>>
>>46685509
>Ambidexterity
More as a personal choice than anything. From what I've understand, it has applications outside of the combat too, and this can be very useful to pick the lock with your other hand in emergency or something. Or I might be wrong here
>Forced Entry
Because sometimes you need to just bash things to get them open. For example, how are you gonna pick a lock in window, when all it takes is proper elbow-bash to get the hasp open?
And as I've said, no combat skills, so yeah...
>>
>>46685528
Out of curiosity - where is the place from the photo?
>>
>>46685555
It's in Ithaca, New York. Abandoned mill.

The arrow next to posts lets you open up Google reverse image search.
>>
>>46685433
Some sort of alleged flexibility, although I haven't been able to find it. The only GURPS magic systems I really like (having not read RPM so far) is Psionic Powers and powers as advantages. Nobody likes using psionic powers, though.
>>
>>46685583
Thanks. It simply looks very similar to the spot in nearby mountains, so... yeah

I keep forgetting about that
>>
>>46685594
>Nobody likes using psionic powers, though
For a good reason.
I still remember all the shit that suddenly started in the gaming club I'm GMing in after "The Chronicle" premiered.
>>
>>46685594
The real flexibility might be in Hardcore Improvisation allowing you to pull real powers out of your ass. But it does seem like a little bit of a struggle to get that to work if you want to use it regularly.
>>
What do you guys think about Symbol Magic? What's the best way to use it - write on parchment, finger trace or just make tokens?
>>
How should I price channeling powers through a familiar when it comes to psionics?
one of my players want this.
>>
>>46684654
>Do you autists

Cool it with the insult. We're all here to have fun.
>>
File: 826_image.jpg (309 KB, 2511x600) Image search: [Google]
826_image.jpg
309 KB, 2511x600
>>46686415
What you put your symbols on matters less then how you use them. I like it. It's interesting to combine different symbols for different effects but sometimes it's annoying to try and come up with effects, or to figure out what symbols are needed for the effects you want.

>>46685601
You keep forgetting about a creepy abandoned mill with a dam and, I assume, a deadly submerged weir?
>>
>>46686485
IIRC, powers granted by a familiar get a -40% modifier for it. That should suffice for your purposes.
>>
>>46685424
So... anyone?
>>
>>46685424

Have you looked at the "Work by Touch" Technique for Lockpicking?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (419 KB, 888x1909) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
419 KB, 888x1909
>horrible wounds
>hard to make
>more friction when binding
How would you stat wavy blade?
>>
>>46687637
So if I'm getting it right, since Work by Touch is hard, it should cost me... 2 points?
Now as I look at it, Scaling also looks good, given the nature of the character.
>>
>>46687683
Price x4 for starters
Slightly decrease anything that has anything to do with armour piercing
Slightly decrease thrusting damage
Add some small penalty to handling from atypical shape
Small bonus to Parry
Increased chance to damage/destroy enemy's weapon

That would be all.
>>
>>46687752

The Scaling Technique is worth it's weight in gold in any moderately urban environment.
>>
>>46687857
As for now, I'm reading how techniques actually work and what are their prices for the 5th time... and I'm still not getting it. Maybe this is simple language barrier, but I simply don't understand the way prices are explained and what my skill should even be to get each of those, as there is some prerequisted level, but... yeah
>>
How would a military force that has roughly renaissance level technology fight an aggressive wild life that is both not afraid to die and has superior numbers?
>>
File: 20110828155926_con_marco2.jpg (94 KB, 741x914) Image search: [Google]
20110828155926_con_marco2.jpg
94 KB, 741x914
>>46688016
By employing pic related
>>
>>46688047
lets say the wild life is also roughly horse sized, then what?
>>
>>46688066
Get more of those
>>
File: La Malinche.jpg (94 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
La Malinche.jpg
94 KB, 400x533
>>46688066
Then you add another pic related
>>
>>46688079
This anon gets it

And preferably use native levies with help of >>46688087
>>
>>46688016
By coughing a lot
>>
>>46688016
>>46688066
More details, or I will add my own conquistador jokes
>>
>>46688144
just doing a touch of world building. I want to have a enemy be an existential threat to humanity so that there are on their last legs. So the threat would be a none traditional force that is more or less a mass of eldritch horrors
>>
>>46688185
So let me get this straight.
You want grim derp world that is roughtly TL4 and on the way of humanity's wake thanks to unspeakable horrors?

Monastyr did that already, so go for references
>>
>>46688236
Got a pdf that isnt in Polish?
>>
>>46688263
I will get it after finishing work, so in about 2 hours.

Or you want crash-course already?
>>
>>46688274
how about both
>>
>>46688287
Let's see...
The basic idea is that you have semi-feudal kingdoms, tied together with shared faith (sounds familiar, doesn't it?) and all forms of magic, non-human races and pretty much anything that is not rational, human and "Catholic" is treated as evil incarnated (which is more ofthen than not true).
Hightlights incluse:
- internal struggle - all those nations are mostly focused on themselves rather than external enemy
- the climate is harsh and getting worse with each decade
- the monsters are absolutely and completely unbeatable; they can be fend off, but not really stopped or killed for good
- no magic; got especially prominent in later expansions, as magic cause even worse chaos around
- the situation must start as already unsalvagable, hence the fucked-up climate as core element, because if not monsters and forces of evil, then the malnutrition will get you
- religion institution nominally hold enormous power, in reality they mean shit and are often treated as an excuse or pawns
- inquisition is ineffective, delusional and fanatical in the realistic sense, thus causing only problems and not solving anything; for which more often than not inquisitors has a nasty tendency to be killed on spot when they show up somewhere without strong escort (that might also be very willing to kill their nominal employee)
- plagues and famine are every-day sight on borderlands
- land "beyond", the territories held by beasts, are in perpetual twilight nearby human-controlled lands, but the further you go (which is suicidal) the darker it gets, until there is no sun whatsoever (hence the fucked up climate)
- there is a civil war going for past two decades in the "central" kingdom, in which all powerful nations take part pretty openly (think Italian Wars)

In short - it's a classic grim-derp that goes for early baroque grotesque.
>>
>>46688372
On the plus-side of the classic grim-derp:
- no evil cults
- no evil nations
- the evil is simply out there, not some Forces Of Chaos or other bullshit like that
>>
>>46687683
IDHMBWM but ISTR that kris blades were covered in Martial Arts.
>>
RPM>Sorcery
>>
We're playing a post apoc car game currently, vast majority of gameplay has been vehicle and vehicle combat oriented.
>>
>>46685424
Try either Absolute Direction (very, very useful in case of complex buildings) or Architecture to have a broad idea how building can look inside/where it will be best to get inside.
And why not Jumping? Sufficiently high Jumping is really amazing for cat burglaries

>>46689765
But that's well-known truth, so why spoilering it?
>>
>>46689765
I agree, RPM feels like such a phenomenal success at creating something that has a lot of personality and mechanical depth and weight (sorry for using such bullshit terminology) while remaining almost completely setting agnostic... Besides the optional rooting of the system in the sephirot and decans.

Sorcery is a great replacement for the vanilla skill based magic system, and not much else.
>>
>>46689831
Autoduel or Mad Max?
>>
Can a player character crack under pressure of torture and interrogation against the player's will if the character fails its rolls to resist? Is the player being a That Guy if he refuses to have his character spill his guts, even if he fails to resist interrogation? Or is the GM a shithead for forcing the player character to say stuff?
>>
reposting

I'm really confused about turning and moving.
Normally you move your speed, but if you move 'backwards' you move at half speed
How often do you get to turn, and when?

I know vehicles have special rules for turning, which I'm purposely ignoring, I want to know about people
>>
>>46690924
That Guy is being a faggot. If the player can just lolnope and not say anything even after failing to resist, why even have the fucking resistance roll in the first place? You can't just go "no I hit him, that failed attack roll doesn't matter" or "I don't care what the dice say, I resisted the spell."
>>
>>46690924
>Can a player character crack under pressure of torture and interrogation against the player's will if the character fails its rolls to resist
Of course. That's part of the reason why the rolls are there in the first place
>Is the player being a That Guy if he refuses to have his character spill his guts
Yes, of course
>Or is the GM a shithead for forcing the player character to say stuff?
It's failed resist. So it's pretty much like the "compelled" status from D&D - your PC is under "control". In this case that means talking.

So if you've failed a save against tortures, just fucking deal with it.
>>
>>46691328
This hasn't happened in real life but I'm planning an interrogation as one of the things that can happen

I just figured that some people would really, really dislike hearing "Your guy cowardly explains where your friends are, betraying them" even if it makes sense from a roleplay perspective
>>
>>46691257
Read the Basic Set Chapter 11: Tactical Combat.
>>
>>46691365
Eh... let me explain this a bit.

So a PC is tortured. Before the game even starts, prepare a list of things PC could tell the torturers and talk with the player controlling said character. If this can't be arranged - take a private time with player via notes passed over table.
The best, easiest and most harmless way to handle this is to list all the informations the PC can give, then depending on rolls, just dedice how many of them the player can tell. Then let the player read those.

Here, you've successfully tortured a PC and the player retained all the dignity.
>>
>>46691420
You can even give the player a choice which of those points to read, so say there are 15 things on the list and you decide he should spill 6 of them... player's choice which.
By making them all semi-important it will make this still a tough choice and increase the role-play value of someone who's cracking but still wants to save friends.
>>
>>46691420
actually fuck it, i'm just gonna handle it like this

"you are being tortured, roll to endure the torture successfully or your character dies. or you can just tell the torturer what you know"
>>
>>46691481
>or you can just tell the torturer what you know
oh, or make a skill check to lie successfully

player freedom
>>
>>46691492
>Torture
>Lie
Anon, just don't. It works only in the movies. People under pressure are going to sell their mother and claim they've started Chicago fire just to stop the beating. And if you do this psychological, it goes even worse.

You can't lie under tortures. Because the idea of tortures is to break you so much you will be unable to resist at all. So unless the tortures will be sensless beating for few minutes (and they never are) lying is not even an option.
>>
>>46691559
what are you even saying dude lmao your post is all fucked up
>>
>>46691481
>Gets pretty decent solution on silver plate
>Decides to go for lazy-ass coup-out instead
Not the original anon, but people like you simply disgust me.
>>
>>46691481
>>46691492
>Lying to interrigator
Let me guess - you are from some cozy nation that never happend to have secret police, aren't you?
Good for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRxvEjprBM
>>
>>46691559
>>46691652

>There are people who genuinely believe torture is a useful and reliable way to extract information from a noncompliant prisoner
>>
>>46691652
That's totally plausible in a GURPS game; A player can use something like Fast Talk in a quick contest against the interrogator's Will or Detect Lies, whichever the GM prefers.

And if the PC wins then he still 'spilled his guts' he just got the interrogator to believe the false pretenses.

That's what I like about GURPS in how it nudges roleplaying from people based on their character builds.
>>
>>46691688
>There are people who thing torture is only by applying force and beating
Technically speaking, 48 hour non-stop police interrogation is a form of torture. And it's effective in enough cases to be used as standard procedure, while fully legal and nothing is done to the interrogated person at all.
>>
>>46691695
More or less this.

But I would rather go to how easily GURPS can be adjusted to increase or decrease the cinematic feeling of the game.
>>
>>46691768

>a police force uses it regularly so it must be effective

We said the same about eyewitness accounts once.
>>
>>46691559
>People under pressure are going to ... claim they've started Chicago fire just to stop the beating.
And the implication here is that this is not in fact the case, yes? A lie, strictly speaking? Because it does seem like you could tell them what they want to hear so they'll stop the torture without actually giving them accurate, ally-foiling information.
>>
>>46691600
it's not a "pretty decent solution" if it involves 15-30 minutes of prep time (per player) that will also spoil a future session's content and turn a stressful interrogation scenario into an arbitrary game of "roll the d10 and then roll d6 and then read the crumpled up piece of paper you wrote 3 months ago"

but good job on the patronizing attitude

>>46691652
first of all, you assume that all interrogators are Stasi operators when that isn't true. i mean, the CIA puts stuff up peoples' asses as a way of interrogation even though it's usually not that effective. the people doing the interrogation in my case are glorified rentacops who only know "beat the guy until he says something thats somewhat plausible"

also, you assume i want a fully realistic game when that just isn't the case. people don't have stats in real life either, nor do they roll a d10 to succeed in things. the player character can be socially skilled enough to reconstruct an entire scenario in his mind so that he can reformulate his recount of it at will.

do you really want to be the GM who says "no you can't roll to lie, that's not possible, look at this youtube video i found"
>>
>>46691688
>>46691795
Oh, look, we've got a badass relativist here!

Nothing ever works, nothing is sure and nothing is known! This totally explains why we have so many standard procedures and reactions as a society. Because none of them works.
>>
>>46691795
It's effective enough to be commonly used as testimony in court. Nobody really cares about your opinion about it.
>>
>>46691948

We do a lot of things because we think they should work, rather than because they do. And with crime, the problem is that you can't look up the answer, so you can't confirm whether you were wrong or right.

>>46692019

It's not just my opinion. Witness accounts have been repeatedly demonstrated to be very very poor tools for establishing information about crimes or criminals. We keep using it because it's simple, and because we naturally want to believe that our senses and memories are infallible and truthful.
>>
File: m'lady.gif (595 KB, 460x600) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.gif
595 KB, 460x600
>>46692078
>>
>>46692137

>I can't refute his point
>I'll call him a fedora tipper!
>I'm smart
>>
>>46683315
>Is there a more scientific way of making fictional weapons than just adjusting stats of something else till they look like they fit?

You will need to look at gurps damage rules and create something based on it
Stuff like
a single shot that does 10 damage on a average human without armor on the torso make the person make the person have 50% of chance to hit

the biggest problem with weapon creation is that there is only 1x, 1/2x, 1.75x and 2x penetatrion rules. This is too limited
>>
>>46692276
>a single shot that does 10 damage on a average human without armor on the torso make the person make the person have 50% of chance to hit

change to
a single shot that does 10 damage on a average human without armor on the torso make the person make the person have 50% of chance to die
>>
>>46692170
As if you had any point...
>>
>GURPS thread
>Pointless shitposting inside
Wait, what?

Anyway, is there anywhere a table to know how much increase prices for TL4 guns, depending on how much complicated they get (rifled, with proper sights, with better range, whatnot) or it's just more or less multiplication of basic price by amount of fancy elements?
>>
>>46691559
>You can't lie under tortures.

You absolutely can. I'm not sure how you got that idea, but people don't tell the truth under torture, they tell you ANYTHING they think will stop the torture.

>>46691831

Has it right.

It's also nearly impossible to sort lies from truth because everything they say is going to be confused and under extreme stress. Normally you can hope to spot a lie by things that have missing or contradictory details.. But with torture, you get everything with missing and contradictory details.

>>46691768
>>46691795

It's effective if your objective is to get a confession. It's utterly pointless if you are trying to get the truth.

>>46691948
Torture is objectively a terrible way to conduct an interrogation. People that have, with ethics set utterly aside, studied the matter have concluded that rapport building and repeated interviewing is vastly more effective.

>>46692137
He's right, nigga. Witness accounts and torture are 'common sense' things that only really work in fiction.
>>
>>46692374
Prices don't really increase much, as improving tools make it easier to make as fast as the designs get more complicated.

To see vastly different levels of refinement for TL 4 guns look at the matchlock musket and the flintlock.
>>
>>46693262
Yeah, but in this particular case I need to make sure the breach-loading rifle with properly aligned sights up to 300 meters is obscenely costly. Not in a sense of "you can't afford it", but having actual price for it, as I know the player will move mountains to "be able to afford it" if needed. It's just this type of guy. And I don't like making things up if they (might) be listed.
>>
>>46694124
Wouldn't that just be folded into Fine (Accurate) quality firearms? CF is only +0.75, though. However, you could always say that whoever made the gun figured "in for a penny, in for a pound" and also made the gun Very Fine (Reliable) [CF +1.25] and went all-out decorating the weapon — gold plates with intricate styling and imbedded gems, ebony stock, masterfully made leather sling, etc. — that comes out to +3 Styling [CF +9]. That brings the total cost multiplier to x12. Slap that onto Double-Barreled Jäger Rifle for a final price tag of $6,000!
>>
>>46694734
So yeah, we've got Acurate and Reliable... what about reloading speed then?
See why this is an issue? I know already where my player is heading and I need to think 5 steps ahead with this weapon, because costly or not, he will eventually get it.
>>
>>46694779
Breach loading r7fles don't cost that much more. They are pretty fragile however, there is a reason they weren't used much.
>>
>>46694734
>imbedded gems, ebony stock, masterfully made leather sling, etc. — that comes out to +3 Styling
No anon, nobody wants to use Pimp Gun. Not even pimps. Plus apparently the other anon is asking for functional weapon, not something you hang on a wall for dust-catching.
>>
>>46694907
Hence I'm asking about all of this combined. Since this will be a custom-made (duh), I need to get all the data. And price. Thing is, I can't find price for breach-loading in Low Tech nor in Swashbuckler. Either I'm missing something or this is listed in some different books. Or not listed at all.
>>
>>46694988
>Pimp Gun
You know what?
Stolen!
>>
>>46695151
There's a TL4 breech-loading carbine statted on page 94 of Low-Tech, might that serve your purposes?
>>
>>46694779
Reloading speed isn't a matter of weapon quality. Breechloading longarms take 10 seconds to reload or 8 with Fast-Draw (Ammo).

>See why this is an issue?
Honestly, no. If you don't want your player to have the weapon, it's not available. Just because it exists in the books doesn't mean it's available in a store; if someone makes a fine quality rifle, it's probably a custom job done by a professional craftsman. If he wants one, he'll have to not only pay for it but ask someone skilled enough to make it to do so. The craftsman is liable to tell him to piss off if he wants the gun for something stupid/criminal/evil, or just flat out refuse because he's not an aristocrat or a fellow countryman or whatever.

If you don't want him to have it at all, why not grow a pair and say "no"? And why is having an Acc 4 gun (the most accurate you can get at TL4) such a big deal anyway?

>>46694988
See above; it's not a question of what the player wants, it's a question of what's available. Someone that's going through the trouble of making a fine-quality firearm may not feel that stopping there is enough; his gun's a work of art and by god it's going to look like it.

>>46695151
Breechloading Carbines cost $270 and can be found on p. 94 of Low-Tech under "Rifles."
>>
>>46695245
Yeah, will do, thanks!

>>46695279
But I want to allow this. That's why I need the price tag.
But anyway - thanks for pointing out right page in the right book with other anon.
>>
>>46695279
>his gun's a work of art and by god it's going to look like it
You keep confusing "good looking" with "kitsch". And no, it's not "a period thing" to be kitsch. Weapon first and foremost is functional if it's not openly a decorative piece. This one definitely is functional. So while it might be finely done and even elaborately carved, that's all. Dunno, haven't you ever saw collection of Persian and Mughal guns from 17th century? A perfect mix between practical and decorative, but still useful and combat-worthy weapon.
What you describe is a stuff someone without taste and lots of money would hang on a wall.
>>
File: no worries, I got this.jpg (355 KB, 1920x852) Image search: [Google]
no worries, I got this.jpg
355 KB, 1920x852
How would you make the mechs in the pic attached as a vehicle in GURPS?
>>
Keeping it with guns, as the anon got me interested with flipping the books... can someone explain me how the hell even use matchlocks? I mean their reloading time is just absurd. 90 seconds? Really? Even with paper cartridge you (magically) can get halved reloading time, when apparently the whole thing is taking so long because of the "blow the match-cord" part.
Are there any better rules for this somewhere?
>>
>>46695506
If the GM doesn't want the PC to get a good weapon for cheap, suddenly all good weapons are blinged to hell and back and all craftsman have very Liberace-esque tastes. I'm not arguing that that should be the standard or that the craftman's right in thinking that makes it better, but it is a RAW way to inflate a weapon's cost, which (I'm assuming) was the goal here.

Also I think you're mostly getting upset over the examples of styling I gave, which I just sort of pulled out of my ass. A decorated gun can still have a Styling +CF without going full retard like my exaggerated example. A quick google search of 17th century Persian guns reveals some hella cool looking firearms that I would argue definitely count as Styling.
>>
>>46695832
>If the GM doesn't want the PC to get a good weapon for cheap, suddenly all good weapons are blinged to hell and back and all craftsman have very Liberace-esque tastes
No anon.
That simply means you are a shit GM if you are doing stuff like that.
>>
>>46695823
They're big enough that using the stuff from Spaceships should be enough. You'd need Alternate GURPS I for the combustion engine (or maybe there's a crummy coal-powered engine in Spaceships 7). Weapon look's like a main battery with the fixed point or whatever it's called when the gun isn't mounted on a rotating turret. Big windows in the front mean the Front section is probably unarmored and/or hold the Control Room.
>>
So I'm prepping to introduce Sorcery to my group right now and I feel it would be good idea to know: when exactly should casting rolls be necessary? I'm going through and trying to make a few new spells so my players have a little bit more choice, but I can't find any guidelines for when a casting roll should be done (other than resisted spells requiring them). Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>46695917
Jesus Christ man who pissed in your cereal bowl? It looked like Anon was worried over an improved-accuracy rifle being too affordable/accessible, so I suggested a way to have it be more expensive in his campaign. That's fucking all. Nowhere did I say that's a good default — in fact I explicitly said otherwise — so why are you getting your panties in a bunch?
>>
>>46695940
Thank you very much.
>>
What issues of Pyramid would /gurpsgen/ recommend for a semi-cinematic (still some grit) TL8-9 cyberpunk game base d on the CP2020 world setting?

Besides the obvious issue #21

Also if someone is doing a quick contest against someones will for an influence roll, can the subject ever get a bonus to will in such circumstances?

TIA!
>>
Another question; Can contacts help you find hirelings?
>>
>>46692292
>>46692276
>the biggest problem with weapon creation is that there is only 1x, 1/2x, 1.75x and 2x penetatrion rules.
Dont forget the use of 3d6, it makes making statistics about stuff, a pain in the ass
>>
>>46697258
If it makes sense, I'd allow it.
>>
>>46687902

Scaling is a Hard Technique. The cost for Techniques is on Page 230.

Say you have Climbing -15 and want to traverse up the side of a building. Your Climbing Skill would be 12 (15-3) for this task.

Say you want to buy up Scaling so the penalty is only -2. Looking at the Technique costs, you will see that Default +1 (the default is -3, so -3 +1 = -2) for a Hard technique costs 2 points.

Scaling -2, then, costs 2 Character Points.

For 4 points, you can *completely* buy off the penalty to climb a building (Default -3 + Technique Default +3 = 0).
>>
In GURPS terms, if you kick at an animal and it attempts to bite at your boot in response, what maneuver did the animal choose to make this possible?

Did it choose a Wait maneuver or did it choose to Counterattack (see GURPS Martial Arts for details).
>>
>>46698705
When did it bite your boot? After your kick? During it? Because it might be a Stop Hit.
>>
>climbing trees is +5
>climbing rope is -2
Am I the only person in whole world who can't climb trees for shit but can easily rope up? Is it worth a quirk or even full-fledged disadvantage?
>>
>>46698818

The way you would read the turn is "the kick misses (or hits), but before your leg can be fully retracted, the beast snaps at your foot in retribution".
>>
>>46699089
Clearly you have the Climbing Rope technquie at +10.

Also this REALLY comes down to where you live. GURPS was written by people used to big, sturdy oaks and maples with low branches. Climbing pines is harder, climbing hawthorn is an exersize in masochism.
>>
>>46699236
Ah, so it includes using branches as some sort of ladder. I assumed they mean climbing on tree trunk without branches.
>>
Armor-piercing pickaxe.
>>
Pickaxe-piercing armor
>>
>>46689765
RPM+Sorcery>RPM/Sorcery
>>
Is Blind Shooting a legitimate technique for Blind Fighting? Normally you need to roll Blind Fighting at -6 to make a ranged attack, and I was wondering if allowing a player to buy that up as a Hard technique would be too overpowered.
>>
>>46702412
Even for completely cinematic campaigns Gun Fu recommends very harsh penalties/requirements for blind shooting.
So I'd allow 3 levels at max.
>>
>>46702722
So at best improve it from -6 to around -3? That sounds reasonable; factoring in the penalties for loud combat (i.e. gunfights) brings the final penalty to around -7, which isn't terrible considering the point values at which blind shooting should be a thing.
>>
File: 4a7b41_3281983.jpg (46 KB, 960x889) Image search: [Google]
4a7b41_3281983.jpg
46 KB, 960x889
>>46698531
Thank you very, very much! I was looking at the table with prices for almost a hour until I finally gave up
>>
>>46699089
The other anon already explained how much this depends on where you live. And I know one thing for sure - I was able to climb trees as a kid without any preparation. But it wasn't until I've started training for it when I was able to climb ropes at all. I know personal examples are no examples, but from my point of view it makes perfect sense. Maybe not as +5, but still as something very easy to do.
What I personally find strange is how rope down with equipment has exactly the same difficulty as rope down with your arms and legs only. This is just not happening.
>>
>>46699333
>>46704663

Climbing a pole isn't all that easy but should depend a lot on the diameter of the pole. The tree climbing rules, as written, do assume branches offer easy hand and footholds.

>What I personally find strange is how rope down with equipment has exactly the same difficulty as rope down with your arms and legs only. This is just not happening.

Yeah, that's a good point. Safe decent with equipment is worlds easier then just trying to slide down a rope in a safe controlled manner.
>>
File: 1400006002134.jpg (560 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1400006002134.jpg
560 KB, 2560x1920
What would the damage do for a 3.5" 10 gauge slug? Something in the 2700 foot pound range. Might need it for.. reasons.
>>
>>46705281
Use conical bullet instead.
And rifle
>>
>>46705281
>Asking questions in imperial
Once again, but this time in something that everyone can understand. It's still night in Clappistani, you know
>>
>>46704598

You're welcome.

A Technique is merely a way to buy off a default penalty for specific situations with specific Skills.
>>
>>46705322
The pricing system makes little to no sense if you try to translate it, hence the confussion. That's also why it was so helpful to get an example.
>>
>>46705319

GURPS works in imperial, so us Europoors who play have to be fluent in both units until glorious 5e makes everything work natively in metric (hopefully)

Well except for ounces. What the fuck is an ounce?
>>
>>46705438
>What the fuck is an ounce?
1/16 of pound :^)
>>
>>46705438
It's a retarded division of retarded pound. Because splitting something into 16 parts makes perfect sense.
Honestly, whenever I have contact with old units of measurements and imperial, it's one massive "but why?!"
>>
>>46705446

>1/16 of a pound

Okay lets try

1lb = 0.453kg

0.453/16 = ???

Why do Americans even pretend they can divide by anything other than 2, 3, 5 and 10. Even us Europeans can't do that and we're better at maths.
>>
File: 1457229997076.jpg (974 KB, 1571x910) Image search: [Google]
1457229997076.jpg
974 KB, 1571x910
>>46705498
Because obviously there is no better way to celebrate freedom from English kings than to keep using a measurement system that is based on their body parts. And I can only assume that 16 is the number of fingers that some inbred royal had on his hands. Which naturally makes it easier to understand for a typical redneck
>>
>>46705554
>Reading that image
It was a bait, right?

Funny how French aren't celebrating their retarded math going into multiplication of 20 (because average human had 20 fingers), but are trying to change that since mid 19th century.
>>
>>46705554
I can only hope in the future humanity will change rotation speed of Earth, so year will consist of exactly 365 days without this stupid fix every 4/100/400 years. Otherwise I bet after a few thousands years we'll have to add another fix.
>>
>>46705503
Who cares about the transition to metric, but the sole concept of dividing unit A by 16 to get unit B is just mind-numbing.
Why? What for? What's the logic behind it? That's suppose to be "natural"? I mean the old measures in my country at least were dividable by ten as default. Not by "quarter of a quarter", because that's apparently what ounce is.
>>
>>46705621
>I mean the old measures in my country at least were dividable by ten as default. Not by "quarter of a quarter", because that's apparently what ounce is.
This

Don't know about your own, but Chinese units were pretty much "imperial" in their origin, BUT the division and multiplication was by 10 and 100, not by randomly picked numbers.
>>
>>46705621
I believe ounce was mass of some shit in given volume. Probably gold or something.
>>
>>46705621
Hmmm, number 16 pops up couple of times in old Russian measurements as well (or, rather, it's number 16 in length measurements and number 32 in weight measurements). Maybe it was some European thing? However, what really baffles me in Imperial system is length measurement. 1 mile is 1760 yards. The fuck is that even supposed to mean? No wonder even GURPS doesn't uses miles anywhere, except for mph. At least Russian versta equals to 500 sazhens (and is almost equal to one kilometer, but they got lucky on that one).
>>
>>46705847
1 mile, at least in case or Romans, was 1000 "double-steps", meaning the movement you make when you make step ahead with your right and then left leg ahead. Romans used that to force their soldiers into making marching patterns, everyone else just dumbly copied the unit.

So in a sense, mile IS dividable by 10 (or 1000), but it makes no sense with OTHER length units
>>
>>46705847
You mean Russian Пyд, or pood? That's 40 pounds AND the amount of floor you can put into a single sack.
And that's probably the only context pood was used. Salt comes to mind, but only in proverbial sense.
So Russian pood is "sack of floor" to be honest
>>
>>46705933
Weight units are even worse. 1 pound is not only a 16 ounces, but also 7000 grains. Now try and convert grains into ounces, I dare you. Russian weight units are also all over the place.

>>46706004
Pood is 40 pounds, and pound is 32 lots, or 96 zolotniks.
>>
>>46706045
>Lots
Unit I've learned about by reading adventure book about two guys trapped in a mountainous valley. They had to weight a rope carried by semi-tamed hawk, so they've used their bullet, knowing the lead weights 2 lots and then went on a half-page calculations to get the final weight of the rope based on this.
This was the first time I've realised how retarded non-metric systems are and I was 11 back then.
>>
>>46706188
Hey, I read that book too! It was fucking great, especially how all their genious ideas failed spectacularly, but in the end they were rescued by blind chance.
>>
File: fed_prem_vs_i.jpg (27 KB, 740x307) Image search: [Google]
fed_prem_vs_i.jpg
27 KB, 740x307
>>46705319
>Can't handle conversions of common measurements.

GURPS really isn't the game for you. The math is going to be too much for you.

3.5 inches is 89mm

10 gauge shotguns are 19.7mm

>>46705303

>Use conical bullet instead.
What do you think shotgun slugs are?
>>
>>46706444
>If you can't handle retarded imperial, your Maths are shit
I get it, it's already morning in Clappistan.

And shotgun slugs are not conical, you inbreed redneck. Slugs are slugs, flat fucking top, conical bullets are conical bullets, conical fucking top.
>>
>>46706444
>What do you think shotgun slugs are?
Flat-topped pieces of lead, you idiot.
>>
>>46705621
There's a whole lot of stuff out there that works in base 2 more then base 10, then there's the crazy base 60 stuff we still use because Babylonians figured it out and it's good enough.

An ounce is pretty much 'dived it into 4 parts, then divide those parts into 4 parts', something that makes sense if you aren't super hot on measurements because even a stupid bastard can figure out 1/4th.
>>
File: imperial-system.png (47 KB, 1427x628) Image search: [Google]
imperial-system.png
47 KB, 1427x628
>>46706444
>Imperial
>Common

>>46706532
Oh, look, "imperial is natural" argument.
No it's not. It's purely cultural thing. And if you are not taught imperial from your youth, it makes zero sense to you, that's how "natural" it is. It's as arbitrary as any other measurement system.
>>
>>46706544
Didn't Birma switch to metric last year?
>>
>>46706480
>>46706519
There's literally a picture of a shotgun slug that is a conical bullet in the post you are quoting. While shotgun slugs can be flat topped or made of lead it isn't part of the definition, that simply is any inert single firearm projectile.

>>46706480
>Knows nothing about guns and tries to make everything about nationalism.

Way to defy the stereotype. I bet you are a real smart guy.
>>
>>46706554
Well, wiki only says they are preparing to switching. Still better than murica
>>
>>46706586
>While shotgun slugs can be flat topped or made of lead it isn't part of the definition, that simply is any inert single firearm projectile.
Americans at their finest

Sorry, slugs in my country NEED to be flat-top to be called slugs. Or rather Flintenlaufgeschosse, Brenneke to make it more simple. If it's not flat-topped, you are using illegal ammo.
If you are using word that has no real definition nor formal list of requirements, why even bothering with it? This way you could call fucking heavy-machine round a slug and it would work by your "it's not part of the definition".
>>
File: [000009].jpg (96 KB, 854x974) Image search: [Google]
[000009].jpg
96 KB, 854x974
>>46706595
>>46706544
>plebs still using plebic

lel, its the superior engineering units.
>>
>>46706616
>Flintenlaufgeschosse
I am not really sure what's worse: murrican's lack of definition or german's 20-letter words.
>>
>>46706616

>Sorry

No harm, no foul. I don't expect a German to understand anything about firearms in any case.

>This way you could call fucking heavy-machine round a slug and it would work by your "it's not part of the definition".

I guess you don't understand English very well, or firearms.

The PROJECTILE is the part that leaves the weapon. It's always called a BULLET but it can be called a SHELL if it is filled with something like explosive or incendiary material. If it's made of inert metal it can be called a SLUG.

A SHOTGUN SLUG is a SINGLE INERT PROJECTILE fired from a SHOTGUN.

It can be rifled, finned, saboted or simply a flat projectile on top of a wad.
>>
>>46706639
Not the anon, but it's called Brenneke for a reason, as it was invented originally for Brenneke gun.
And the word is describing exactly what it is, so go figure from where the entire "Germanic precision" comes from.

Then compare it with "slug" and what kind of information it really brings if you never saw this nor have any knowledge about firearms.
>>
>>46706686
>English trying to name things to make sense
Last time it breed some success was pineapple. Because this is so fucking arbitrary division it makes me cringe just reading it. And I'm not blaming you, anon. It's just the purely linguistic thing here.
>>
>>46706687
Well if he'd asked for a Brenneke slug you'd be able to say those aren't conical, but shotgun slugs come in a huge range of shapes, up to and including conical slugs made to be fired from rifled barrels.

Some people prefer to call them 'slug guns' at that point, however, as a rifled barrel means the 'shot' that gives the shotgun it's name would perform very poorly out of the weapon.
>>
>>46706686
>I don't expect a German to understand anything about firearms in any case
>Said by American throwing around imperial and randomly applied names carrying with them zero precision
>>
>>46706731
Brenneke slug is literally shotgun slug.

Anyway, the original question was
>What would the damage do for a 3.5" 10 gauge slug?
And the answer is still somewhere around
>Large-bore conical bullet is going to be better
>>
Aside from bigger bulk is there anything that prevents me from running around with sniper rifle as if it was assault rifle?
>>
>>46707298
Fire rate?
Can be tricky to aim it too

Depends also on rifle type and TL.
>>
>>46707298
Depends on a sniper rifle in question. But they usually fire more powerful round compared to assault rifles, which means that you suffer from heavier recoil and carry less ammunition, as well as gun itself being heavier. Of course, if it's something like Vintorez, then it's not a bad idea at all.
>>
>>46707298
You have to roll Will after every shot to avoid screaming NOSCOPE'D YOU GOT NOSCOPE'D FAGGOT and blasting airhorns.
>>
File: 1429612031236.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1429612031236.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>46707503
>>
>>46707298

I actually played a character like this once, just keep one magazine with match-grade sniper rounds and two or three regular rounds.

High Tech has a rule that gives a penalty to Bulk if you have a scope:
>None of these benefits apply to unaimed shots. In fact, a high-powered scope (anything over 4x) makes unaimed shots slower: add -1 to Bulk.
Either deal with it, strive to always take aim maneuvers, or get a variable power scope.

A "true" sniper rifle has shitty rate of fire and a small magazine size, and in a harsh realism campaign is generally a lot more likely to jam if not kept scrupulously clean.

A more battle-rifle style weapon like SCAR-H or FN FAL only has the small downside of generally being heavier, with heavier ammo and smaller magazines. Rcl isn't normally an issue, since every round packs a bigger punch. They're usually not all that bulky, either. Combined with the -1 bulk from the scope you're looking at -2 bulk or so over the assault rifle counterpart.

So, not really, nothing's stopping you.
>>
>>46695832
>Liberace-guns

Now I know what to give the elves in my TL 4/5 fantasy game.
>>
>>46699333
Not the guy you're replying to, but I always assumed so. A tree, by the books, is nearly as easy as climbing a ladder, so, to me, that included horizontal foot/hand purchases. A rock wall/cliff can range from 0 to -3. I'd judge that a straight tree with no branches would be +1 to -1, depending on how rough/grippy the bark is.
>>
>>46705847
16 and 12 were used because they have a high number of factors and can be easily and reasonably accurately divided by sight alone. It's not easy to subdivide something by ten, but it's easy to halve it three times or divide it into thirds then halve it twice.
>>
Guys, for the normal magic spells that cost hundreds of FP (e.g., resurrection) how are players supposed to be able to gather that? You can only use 1 power stone per spell, so you have to buy a phenomenally expensive one, so I assume that there is another way.
>>
>>46708889
There are things that grant a lot of energy. For example, in the Spaceships books (which are also used for building magical airships and such) there are different generators that power the ship through necromancy and such, and they give a large amount of FP.

Otherwise, having a lot of helpers works too.
>>
>>46708889
Unique magic artifacts as fonts of power or Ceremonial Magic.
>>
>>46707298
As a second question, is there any way to mitigate the massive Bulk involved?

I may or may not be dealing with Bulk -8, so reducing it a bit would be neat.
>>
File: whatcouldgowrong.jpg (72 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
whatcouldgowrong.jpg
72 KB, 736x414
>>46709575
Cut off the stock
Cut off the barrel
Attach pistol grip
>Whatcouldgowrong.jpeg
>>
>>46709802
Given that it's an anti materiel rifle, a lot could go wrong, and the rules for sawed-off weapons kind of suck. Lose a grand total of 2 pounds (of 55) and - 2 Bulk in exchange for being basically useless.
>>
File: FORMOTHERLAND.jpg (716 KB, 1711x1141) Image search: [Google]
FORMOTHERLAND.jpg
716 KB, 1711x1141
>>46709802
>If stock short, then how throw glorious Rus-steel as Stalin intended?
>>
File: weneedtogodeeper.jpg (38 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
weneedtogodeeper.jpg
38 KB, 500x366
>>46709802
>>
File: 1458411828318.jpg (176 KB, 1447x2048) Image search: [Google]
1458411828318.jpg
176 KB, 1447x2048
Wish me luck Teej, gaming with the bros today and we might be cutting a player for extended no-notice absences. Its online and we've heard neither hide nor hair from him in weeks. Time to cut the chaff
>>
>>46708889
The easiest solution - group casting. You know, cultists, coven of witches, bunch of druids dancing naked in a circle... stuff like that.
>>
>>46709575
Simple question - why?

Seriously, you are using sniper rifle and apparently trying to turn it into assault one. Unless it's FN FAL or something similar, simply forget it. Just carry an SMG like any competent sniper and you will be dandy.
Or simply travel with a spotter, so he/she can cover you.
>>
File: 5125266735_0a46bc1c1b.jpg (26 KB, 500x185) Image search: [Google]
5125266735_0a46bc1c1b.jpg
26 KB, 500x185
>>46710562
Crazy idea; underbarrel SMG?
>>
>>46710562
We're actually two different anons. I posted earlier in the thread about the 20mm tangler gun I was statting up for a superhero.
>>
>>46710719

All the disadvantages of an SMG, with none of the advantages, the Bulk will be through the roof.
>>
>>46710754
but...muh RoF!
>>
>>46710719
>>46710754
>>46710830
Just strap on an underbarrel grenade launcher and call it good.
>>
>>46711372
You can even load theme with multi-flechette or birdshot.
>>
>>46711427
>40mm flechette round
that's a really bad day for somebody.
>>
>>46710719
Not crazy - just stupid.

Seriously, why so many people insist on carrying just their "main" weapon in games? Not only in GURPS, but in general. I still remember the strange looks everyone was giving me when my first character was carrying axe, shield, two long knives and crossbow for a good measurement.
They've stopped the moment action started rolling.

If you are a sniper and for whatever reason you need to shoot people up close - get yourself a SMG. Too low TL? Revolver will be just about fine.
Want to pack a punch? Why not a grenade launcher, but don't blame me when you will end up without decent suitable weapon for close combat.
If setting allows it, you just can't go wrong with Vector .45

Daily reminder Simo Häyhä took way over 1/3 of all his kills with the Suomi SMG
>>
>>46712019
Not everyone has the strength, money and training required to carry and use effectively so much stuff
>>
>>46712064
Let me get this straight - your average SMG is weighting around 2,5 kilos. Ammunition for that - 3 kilos in total.
Are you seriously going to make the bulk/weight argument? And you don't need no training to take aim and pull the trigger - you are a fucking sniper already.
>>
>>46712019
>Daily reminder Simo Häyhä took way over 1/3 of all his kills with the Suomi SMG
This

Depending on source, anything between 250-300 guys bagged with an SMG, and that's while technically sniping. Which is half of what he got with his sniper rifle.
>>
If I wanted to give a character like 10 DR, but they could only have it when in their super-mode, is there a Modifier for "only applies in X state?"
>>
>>46712855
What is your "super-mode"? If you have an Alternate Form, just add the DR to that form. If it's an advantage or metatrait with Switchable/Costs FP/Maximum Duration, then the DR would have a -10% to -30% limitation on it; this is based on the Accessibility limitation on p. B110.
>>
File: ExpertOperators.jpg (81 KB, 960x658) Image search: [Google]
ExpertOperators.jpg
81 KB, 960x658
How would GG handle a hacker/decker jjacking into an android's mind who has volitional AI?

Hard Mode: Using the rules in Pyramid #21
>>
Does the base speed of something get higher as it becomes larger? Like, if you made Ultraman would growing to size (8?) increase his Base Speed? Shouldn't it?
>>
>>46712019
It's realistic, but there's a lack of synergy in carrying several weapons that don't use the same skill. At higher TL you've got the advantage that guns pretty much all default to each other at -2, so you can get your main skill up and put 1 point in any others you will use to cover familiarity.

That said, my characters pretty much always carry a main weapon, a backup weapon and have some training in unarmed combat, or at least enough Escape to get away.

Some are variable walking arsenals, like my TL 6 hitman with three compact pistols, a shotgun, a rifle, a wire saw, a switchblade, a knife, a couple hand grenades, two throwing knives, a sword bayonet, sap gloves, thirty sticks of dynamite and a razor sharp entrenching tool. It was more then he'd need for the trip but once you start a serious collection there is a temptation to see how far you can push it.

You'd be amazed what will fit in the back of a Studebaker sedan.
>>
>>46714052
Don't you mean Basic Move?

And no, I don't believe that it does either way. maybe check Campaign's tactical combat section on multi-hex creatures.
>>
>>46714052
Nope. Like ST, you've got to buy more if you want more when you get bigger.

That said, if you just directly scale up a small creature to a large creature and are playing in a realistic game crazy stuff starts happening. At 30 feet a human's limbs would be nearly trans-sonic when running or punching.
>>
>>46714052
Assuming you mean basic move (why would you mean basic speed?) then no, SM only affects the size, anything else like greater strength or faster movement needs to be bought separately.
>>
>>46714319
>>46714358
>>46714052

One exception!

Giantism (0 point trait) comes with a free +1 Basic Move to reflect longer motive limbs then other members of your species.
>>
>>46714358
Sorta comes down to whether you want them to be proportionately fast - in which case absolute speeds will be very high and the striking force hilarious,

Or not, in which case they might be slow and sluggish enough to qualify for things like Decreased Time Rate.
>>
bamp of lyfe
>>
>>46677548

Nothing? Really?
>>
How do you create a vehicle? It's something I really can't wrap my mind around. Is there a guide anywhere?
>>
>>46716985
Spaceships has a pretty decent guide, also check the Vehicle Pyramid.

Action1 has a guide in the back for tweaking already made vehicles which can be found in the different equipment catalogs. I usually just use that guide from Action1 and add weapons like I would normal equipment.
>>
File: Guide to writing vehicles.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Guide to writing vehicles.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46716985
Vehicles book is supposed to be that guide, but it's still not out. So far, we only have this, but it is mostly for converting real-life vehicles. Russian anons also made a spreadsheet to go with it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BGEaDg_od8icIQ2oLj_MvUn7K5MbbjXZpVbEaXCjM24/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=722423260
>>
>>46716893
Sorry man, but there's not any articles about it, and it doesn't seem like an easy question to answer. Best approximation I can give are the general zero-G rules on p. B350, in particular the ST/2 move speed for "flying" by pushing off a surface; if you shoved off something with TK, you'd be moving TK/2 yards/second.

As for pushing yourself with TK alone...TK is a blatantly supernatural ability to generate force with no equal and opposite force. Applying existing reality- and mathematica-based rules towards TK in zero-G outright does not work. To quote one of the GURPS forums regulars:
>In space with nothing to decelerate it, why can't a Psi continue to accelerate the ship at 10,000 yd/s/s until they reached c?
For starters, you'd need some rules for short-term effects of reactionless engines or at the very least convert TK from Velocity-based measurement to Gs/Newton/whatevers-measurement (I'm not a physicist, in case you couldn't tell). Even then, TK 1 applied continuously to a colossal starship — let alone your scrawny ST 9 ass — would eventually lead to ludicrous speeds, and that's just assuming a gentle pushing and not TK-throwing yourself.

The simplest approach may be to just say "Fuck you" and keep the rules as for Earth-bound TK, complete with velocity caps and a nonsensical dependence on weight. No it's not realistic, but then again neither are telekinetic space geckos.

As for the bone-plate communication, I'd make it a mitigator for Mute rather than anything else, and probably not a huge mitigator either as that seems a very very inconvenient way to "talk."
>>
Mace with pick head is better than pick.
>>
File: spaceballs.jpg (127 KB, 1024x529) Image search: [Google]
spaceballs.jpg
127 KB, 1024x529
>>46719876
Damn forgot my picture.
>>
>>46719884
In terms of damage, yes, because it's heavier (sw+2 imp at ST 12 and 5.5 lb. versus sw+1 imp at ST 10 and 3 lb.) as well as more expensive ($100 versus $70). The extra weight of the mace head means more weight behind the pick's point. I'm pretty sure if you scaled the pick up to ST 12 too you'd see a similar increase in damage.
>>
>>46720003
>if you scaled the pick up to ST 12
Sadly we have no scaling rules aside from this weird shit in low-tech companion.
>>
>>46720471
Or, y'know, PKitty's rules for it that were the basis for Low-Tech's size scaling rules.
>>
>>46720597
I don't know PKitty, is it cute?
>>
>>46720597
Well, according to his rules you need at least 3 pounds difference in weight to get bonus damage. It won't become heavy enough at 12 ST.
>>
>>46719876
>ven then, TK 1 applied continuously to a colossal starship — let alone your scrawny ST 9 ass — would eventually lead to ludicrous speeds, and that's just assuming a gentle pushing and not TK-throwing yourself.

Depends. TK by default is reaction-less but not energy-less. You need to eat and exert yourself to use it, so you'd be limited to how much energy you could get into yourself and couldn't just go forever.
>>
>>46720973
Ah damn, oh well. 2.5 is pretty close to 3, so I leave it to rounding.

Regardless, Mace + Pickhead being +1 damage over Pick isn't unbelievable, and that was my main point.
>>
File: marital_arts.jpg (194 KB, 499x750) Image search: [Google]
marital_arts.jpg
194 KB, 499x750
>>
>>46722020
I don't get it.
>>
>>46722882
Hint #1: That's not *Martial* Arts in the background.
Hint #2: Its related to the standard shitposts/bumps for the general.
>>
>>46724402
>Hint #1
Oh, now I see.
>>
File: m9a1_by_arceon-d6d8f04.jpg (311 KB, 1176x720) Image search: [Google]
m9a1_by_arceon-d6d8f04.jpg
311 KB, 1176x720
If I am reading the rules correctly, a single Attack maneuver made with a RoF 3 pistol AT RoF 3 where all three shots could connect (assume that the MoS beats the cumulative Rcl) forces your foe to make a single Dodge roll...and they would need to succeed by 2 to avoid all the bullets?

On the other hand, if you have Extra Attack 2 (Multi-Strike) and shoot once per each Attack maneuver you get per turn (three of them), your opponent would have to make a separate Dodge roll for each attack?

Also, can a RoF 1 pistol (most single-action revolvers) be used in tandem with Extra Attack?
>>
>>46724826
>Also, can a RoF 1 pistol (most single-action revolvers) be used in tandem with Extra Attack?
RoF sets a hard limit on the attacks you can do with that weapon during a single turn. However, there are ways to increase RoF for some weapons (fanning single-action revolvers, slam-firing certain shotguns).
>>
>>46724826
>Also, can a RoF 1 pistol (most single-action revolvers) be used in tandem with Extra Attack?

No, but that's a good question.

Page 270 clears this up, RoF is the number of shots an ordinary shooter can fire in a one second turn. Unless you get the RoF up, ROF 1 guns can't be used with Extra Attack (Multiattack), likewise they can't be used with Rapid Shot (-6 to two attacks).

There are several ways to get a second shot off with a single action revolver though. High Tech gives you ROF 2 if you use the revolver in two hands and cock it with your off hand, or higher (at the cost of some accuracy) with different fast shooting techniques for revolver like fanning.

>If I am reading the rules correctly, a single Attack maneuver made with a RoF 3 pistol AT RoF 3 where all three shots could connect (assume that the MoS beats the cumulative Rcl) forces your foe to make a single Dodge roll...and they would need to succeed by 2 to avoid all the bullets?

Yep. If you manage to hit with 3 of 3 on a pistol your target can dodge. Succeeding gives them 1 bullet dodged, and every point past that gives them one more. So they'd have to roll 2 under their dodge to get out of the way of 3 bullets, a difficult feat. Time to bust out retreat, acrobatic dodge and the handy bullet proof shield.

>On the other hand, if you have Extra Attack 2 (Multi-Strike) and shoot once per each Attack maneuver you get per turn (three of them), your opponent would have to make a separate Dodge roll for each attack?

That's right.
>>
>>46725008

Wow.

You can do this all at "Level 1" at the expense of being more specialized and less generalized, whereas other tabletop RPGs might make you wait until "Level 10" or "Level 12" or whatever.

Man oh man, this system is becoming more appealing by the second.
>>
File: 28v7hb5.png (228 KB, 420x660) Image search: [Google]
28v7hb5.png
228 KB, 420x660
>>46725407
Oh yeah. No levels, no classes. If your character is only good at one thing and that thing happens to be killing he can be very good at that even at low level.

I'm sort of curious about that type of person. The wreck of a man that has only one skill and it's monstrous. Have they tried other things? When did they realize they were a crack shot, bad at math and unable to hold down a job folding sweaters at a gap?
>>
>>46725493
>I'm sort of curious about that type of person
Maybe he's just not a person at all
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (423 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
423 KB, 1280x960
>>46725668
Rude.
>>
>>46725668

>Delusion: Self-identifies as a mobile anti-air unit.
>>
File: Disgusting.gif (905 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.gif
905 KB, 240x228
>>46725407
>Tintin made by Americans
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.