[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Railroading (and derailing) thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 18
File: henderson.jpg (65 KB, 364x500) Image search: [Google]
henderson.jpg
65 KB, 364x500
What's the hardest you've been railroaded in a game? How did you fuck it up? What's the hardest you've derailed a game?
>>
no good railroading thing but once i was playing a game set almost entirely in a massive city. instead of following plot hooks, i managed to convince my party members to help me gentrify the slums.
eventually we declared ourselves nobility and seceded, causing a civil war.
never got to finish that campaign, but the DM had me roll up 50 level 1-5 characters for our little army and i still bring them out every now and then when im supposed to make a new character.
>>
God, what a retarded story that was.
Henderson is such garbage.
>>
>>46676938
made you roll them up like, as their own characters? with personalities and everything? That seems like more effort than it's worth.
>>
>>46677024
I love when /tg/ turns on its old memes and stories. I don't know why, it gives me schadenfreude.
>>
I fucked up a super railroady "No, you don't do that, you go here instead..." mixed-WoD game so hard with a buddy/co-conspirator that the GM went online the night before the next session, downloaded a fan-made rulebook for WoD Terminators, and started throwing Terminator 2 guys at us to try to retcon everything we did. In the process he raged out and ended up killing two PCs -- not even ours, either.

This caused the rest of the group to see the issue at hand and one of them showed up to the game after that declaring that if the GM was gonna throw in bullshit Terminators, he was gonna be reroll as something new, and he slapped some printed sheets of a fan-made Highlander WoD rulebook, since fair is fair. The GM allowed it on shaky footing and then promptly lost his mind when this new co-conspirator started trying to "quicken" every NPC the GM held dear.

This was all a grand and immature plot to fuck with an extremely nasty That Guy GM who was very mean to someone in every group, a designated whipping boy, to the point that most people at our FLGS wouldnt play with him any more. He claimed his entire game(s) was just the first draft of his novel(s) and everyone would one day be famous for playing a role in what was sure to be a huge deal, and sometimes he told people (especially girls) that when he got a movie made of the book they could be in charge of casting the role of their character so long as they went along with the story. His last designated whipping boy had been a guy in our group and when he showed up to our game with a notably sour mood, we dug down for the reason and then emailed the GM the next day and asked to join his game. Because that's what mature people do. Not proud of it. Mostly.
>>
>>46676709
I once played an elf thief that stole a large amount of treasure from a dwarven king. This started a war between the dwarves and elves. Some elves came looking for me but I kept denying being the thief. There was honestly no reason for me to admit it. Finally, the gm had them bring me to a wizard that could instantly read my mind and thus i was roped into fixing the whole mess. I don't even think the system had magic for mind-reading.
>>
>>46677036
yea i gave each one their own little backstory and everything
>>
File: Thinking with portals.png (28 KB, 1318x169) Image search: [Google]
Thinking with portals.png
28 KB, 1318x169
Not mine, but seems appropriate.
>>
>>46677113

I did the opposite with that one paladin story. "Enemy and adjacent target die" ... yeah right.

But now that it's generally accepted that /tg/ stories are artistic works of fiction and falsehood, I appreciate it a lot more. It's a funny what-if? tale.
>>
>>46677113
>/tg/ is a hivemind

Old Man Henderson is one of those stories that never actually happened, but is kind of entertaining on its own. When people go "hur dur OMH so ebin XDXDXD" is when it becomes annoying.

Personally, OMH reminds me of those "epic" stories people tell where people roll for everyday actions and say "and then the DM ruled he choked on his own tongue".
>>
>>46678063
But I mean now you can't post Henderson, Bearington, etc. without at least one or two anons getting upset. I love it, for some reason.
>>
>>46678063
Don't always count those out. There are some (bad) GMs that will make you roll for really basic shit half the time. Like putting out a campfire.
>>
>>46678118
You can still post the actually good stories without anyone getting upset though.
>>
>>46678258

Had an asshole have me roll for shouting to wake up a man.

When I was half an inch away from his ear.

And yes, I failed.
>>
>>46678258
That's just That DM. I mean the stuff where people tell this story like they actually played a game, but it's just a bunch of people making up random stuff after rolling dice.
>>
The most derailed a campaign has ever been for me was when the PC's decided to abandon the huge new york-sized city that was basically supposed to be the setting for the game.

They stole a cart full of 40k worth opium they had scoped out, and nabbed it in the ensuing chaos when a giant blassed by the god of fate started rampaging through the city because he was upset the people of the city wanted him to leave. The cart was owned by a massive theives guild, and the product was cultivated by the family who currently ruled the empire.

Since there were no heroes to solve the brewing shitstorm in the city, a month or two later they heard that the city was destroyed in some kind of horrible planar disaster. Six months after that we've rolled up new characters in a side campaign where they're going to explore the ruins of the city, which is now The Zone with SCP shit thrown in. Because that huge city also had one of "The Foundation"s biggest containment areas beneath it.
>>
Have you ever been in a railroad campaign where the plot was so good that you didn't mind?
>>
>>46676709
DM but here goes

players started as slaves and servants, got sent on a variety of chores. got tired of it. killed slave master.

I was upset for a little, then I realized it was great.
>>
>>46676709
I somehow managed to derail GM's story before it even started
My character wouldnt get out of bed by any means, so his house started shaking. When he gets out his house started growing for some retarded reason.Time goes on and the whole party decides to say fuck whatever GM had planned and went to investigate what the fuck happened to the house.
At some point GM gave up and we ended wrestling an alien and snapping his spine, not without a last fuck you from the GM making his house turn into a rocket and blast off to where hitler lost his cap.
>>
I once derailed the campaign by intentionally ignoring any plot hook the GM tried to shove down my throat and sabatoged any other character getting a plot hook. Fucking railroad GMs can't even make a story without putting it on rails.
>>
File: wizarding.jpg (15 KB, 269x169) Image search: [Google]
wizarding.jpg
15 KB, 269x169
>>46676709

The two most derailed campaigns I've run were a Pathfinder one in which the PCs created a salt-trading company out of a minor dungeon feature that diversified into everything from trading nightmares with hags to selling adulterated lottery tickets for vacations in Mount Celestia, and an Ars Magica one that had the party develop a rolling base out of an abandoned castle and ended up with Mythic Earth locked down by aliens after everyone went full-on Katamari as their only way to survive.

Both derails had a lot of agreements made in the metagame, though; it's a well-knit group of players that has been going on for the better part of two decades, so even when things went off the window there was a sense of direction and purpose. I've had a few "let's derails this just because" cases with other groups that have been frustrating, but gladly those have been mainly in one-shots.
>>
My group has derailed no less than three campaign's I've run for them, and a few one-off sessions as well.
Dragon Age one-off
>Alienate town they were supposed to protect and murder quest-giver npc.
Rogue Trader
>Multiple times abandons quests to hunt down minor antagonist from first session, and then joins the Tau.
Pathfinder
>First session, they become Halfling supremacists who join the bad guy with the explicit intention of killing all non-Halflings and setting up an all-halfling nazi-esque state in the not-shire.
Dark Heresy
>PC turns into mutant, but instead of purging him, they protect him by beating to death a Sister of Battle, and then promptly being killed themselves, because they were on a ship full of pilgrims and zealots.
>>
>>46680697
I've seen that first one. Saltspit, right?
>>
>>46676709
As our dm put it, we never got to his written material
>>
File: that bastard.jpg (25 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
that bastard.jpg
25 KB, 320x304
>>46681034
I remember you telling us these stories the other day in a thread about bad GMs or something like that. I was a big fan of the Halfler campaign and wished you would have seen it through.
>>
DM was ripping off the Redcliff storyline from Dragon Age: Origins. Not inspired by-- completely ripped right down to the names. I believe he thought that no one else would catch on because the others aren't gamers and the DM didn't know me very well yet. I kept quiet at first and just let the group ride the train, jumping in to ensure that the group received maximum bonuses (like recruiting the elf in the inn, finding the kid hiding in his house, etc). I was just planning to ride it out and hope for a new storyline by the end since everyone else was having fun.

When we were trying to figure out what to do with the Arl's son (possessed by demon) we started to argue over whether to kill the kid or enlist the blood mage's help. He suggested that we go to the mage college for help, and I was in no fucking mood to do the Mage Circle bullshit, so I just said, "Oh, yes, and with our luck the mages and the templars would be going to war or something." He really got the message at that point.

The storyline got interesting again after that. It was a passive-aggressive thing, but I want to have fun too.
>>
>>46682564
It might have been interesting to see where they were going to go with "Halfler" but at the time I was quite angry about having to chuck about 80% of my planning in the bin just because they couldn't let "Halfer", which started as a joke, stay as a joke.
And it wouldn't have been particularly long either. Probably would have taken only two to three sessions for them to all get killed. First session to massacre the humans in the not-shire, second session to subjugate the rest of the not-shire into their halfling-nazi empire, and a third session to get slaughtered when angry elves from the forest next door turn up with their cavalry charge of doom.
Elves don't take kindly to nazi-empires on their borders.
>>
>>46681034
>>46682756
This could all have been avoided if you didn't make female DMPCs. Because reasons.
>>
>>46679476
If a DM can't "hook" you, there's nothing for you to do. It's akin to being in a bookstore and complaining there's nothing you want to read.

>Rails/Derail
There are a couple of issues. First, you have to realize that every story needs some sort of structure; a "This guy tells you about the bandits in the cave outside of town" (guess what the next scene is?) structure that allows the GM to look ahead an hour or two and figure out what to do with you next. If he does it well, you're having an adventure and you believe you and your friends are making it happen and you're part of a world that captures your imagination. If he does it badly, you feel like you're being yanked around, pushed around, or led around in order to fulfill the GM's "plan". At worse, it feels like you're serving his ego.

Secondly, you have to understand that being a GM is a difficult craft -- like spinning plates and being convincing and fun all at once. Give your friend a break, and let him get better at it before you condemn him for "railroading". Take a chance and ask if you all can come to a consensus about "what would be cool to happen next", and give him the freedom to make your characters a little uncomfortable. It makes for a better story.
>>
>>46676709
I'm not old enough to know who this is. Can someone fill me in?
>>
>>46682891
Old Man Henderson, the man who 'won' Call of Cthulhu, and the most legendary example of derailing a campaign.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson
Take note that while we usually agree that he is awesome, he is NOT to be emulated.
>>
>>46682866
>falling for bait
>>
>>46682891
A character from a story about a guy who wanted to "strike back" against an GM that never let his players do anything, and it's all about how the GM just lets him do whatever he wants and get away with things even a rather permissive GM would have to say "no, that's retarded."

In short, a stupid little wish-fulfillment fantasy about being passive aggressive and mistaking being random for being humorous, instead of just communicating like a human being.
>>
>>46682995
You're like eight sacks of fag in a three fag sack.
>>
>>46682891
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson
>>
>>46682866
The easiest way to hook someone is with mystery, specifically mystery boxes.
>>
>>46677024
>>46677713
>>46678063
>>46678377
isn't it a little early for so many newfags?

lurk more.
>>
>>46683153
Haha. I'm going to make my next game Play-To-Win. There will be mysterious lockboxes here and there, and players can pay me real money to unlock them.
>>
>>46682611
Makes me wonder if he would have included the Fade.
>>
>>46676709

>What's the hardest you've been railroaded in a game?

Left a town once and remembered I forgot to buy an item I needed and got told I couldn't go back for it. It was the TTRPG version of blatant invisible walls.

>How did you fuck it up?

I immediately told my GM to fuck off with that shit and talked to him. Turns out he wanted to make a very linear story-based campaign and hadn't told us beforehand (was his first time, so I can't fault him a lot). So, we just said that having a linear story didn't mean we had to be cut off from an area the second we leave it to have it work.

It can be difficult to pull off for a first timer (a linear story, that is). Especially since players are acting on their own and keeping it cohesive can be difficult without making it seem like you're being railroaded.
>>
>>46683199
Sorry, but as a person who remembers when people first tried to spam Henderson like it was a good story, I can't just let you pretend that any large population of /tg/ ever thought it was good.

It had a few moronic but dedicated fans, and it only persists because those idiots think rambling is a suitable substitute for having a sense of humor. It's always been a poorly written, poorly conceived, juvenile story written by someone who likely had little to no actual experience playing CoC (or any roleplaying game for that matter).

Henderson is a /tg/ embarrassment, the /tg/ equivalent of the Big Bang Theory, with WEE MEN instead of BAZINGA, zero actual knowledge of the topic it tries to reference, and similar degrees of cringe-inducing failed attempts at humor.
>>
>>46683436
>Henderson is a /tg/ embarrassment
stopped reading here. fuck off to somewhere that isn't here if you hate it so much.
>>
>>46683508
What are you, five years old or something?
>>
>>46683290

He did sort of. We went the blood mage route and fought the demon in the Fade. That part was actually kind of cool because he integrated some aspect from our back stories. He can tell a cool story, but I was just frustrated at that point because I already knew everything that would happen.
>>
>>46683436

It's even on the wiki. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was shit. Nor does there being some crazy story mean it's instantly fake and bullshit. Are you telling me that, at no point during your time roleplaying, you've had a moment where things all just fell into place to create an amazing story? I don't even mean like Henderson, I mean anything. Because I always see people go "ur story is bulshit ive played 4 a bajillion yrs n gams dnt do dat". Yet aren't moments like this what we play tabletops for? I don't play these for the fucking graphics. I play these because they're interesting games and offer interesting stories where I can play a part in it.

I don't know what your games are like, but if your stories are always bland to the point where anything but the most mundane of stories is believable, then you probably need to reconsider what you're doing and reconsider things. Maybe go back to playing video games or something, because it's games that have these crazy stories that we play ttrpgs. Same reason people playing Dwarf Fortress take shitty graphics and menus and create tales out of them. We play games of imagination; and if your imagination is bland shit and you're not exploring the full realm of possibilities to create stories you find awesome, you're flat out doing it wrong.
>>
>>46683610
he just doesn't like when things get popular. an anti-memer.
>>
>>46676709

I once started a campaign inside of a train.

>>46677024
Excellent post! Extremely on-topic!
>>
>>46678118
People get upset at Bearington? Anons need to chill.
>>
>>46683706
Henderson, Los Tiburon, Oinkbane, Edgardo, and Sir Bearington all get modern /tg/'s panties in a twist.
>>
File: Big Boy Blue.jpg (701 KB, 1236x4000) Image search: [Google]
Big Boy Blue.jpg
701 KB, 1236x4000
>>46683731
Is it because they get posted too often?
>>
>>46683610
Being on the wiki doesn't mean it's good. In fact, 1d4chan has actually developed a reputation for being a particularly shitty site that just regurgitates bad shit from the past and never letting it die, rather than acting as some archive that preserves meritorious works. Finding anything good on 1d4chan is a challenge at this point, and it's largely thanks to people like you who hope to establish a "legacy" for either mediocre or terrible efforts.

>it's instantly fake and bullshit.
No, it being fake and bullshit are what make it fake and bullshit. The central plot doesn't make sense, especially under the reasoning the story provides.

Or, are you expecting anyone to believe that any sane person would allow a player to use an unread brick of a backstory to justify that player acting like a retarded spaz and making things up on the spot? Especially when the sole trait of that person was to disallow that sort of thing, and that trait being the reason that player felt justified in making the game an exercise in how far a GM would allow them to do whatever they wanted to do, without raising the millions of objections that they had every right and opportunity to raise?

It's a story that you're hoping to try and call "interesting" or "amazing", when it's simply stupid, nonsensical, and reads like it was written by a middle-schooler who was told "no" by his GM for the first time and needed to vent. It's such a pathetically stupid story, that it should have been buried long ago.
>>
>>46683771
No, it's because they were spammed and are awful stories.

/tg/ has plenty of actually good stories that get posted often, but no one complains about those because they're not absolute shit.
>>
>>46683780

I didn't say anything as to the merit of the story. I'm simply saying that just because a story seems strange doesn't mean it's impossible or trash.

But, fine, maybe I'm wrong and looking at it the wrong way. Give me an example of a story that IS realistic and good.
>>
>>46683808
Name them. Double points if they're regarded as epic and are actually good.
>>
>>46676709
It started on a train headed to the Big City. Train blew up, nothing we could do to stop it, then we spent 40 sessions going from town to town on the way to the Big City, clearing out dungeons and fighting monsters to help the townsfolk. We never got paid, never found any useful loot, never achieved anything besides killing said monsters, and never got to make a single decision regarding what we wanted to do next. The whole way we had NPCs telling us what to do, making the decisions for the party, and ultimately deciding what our goals and motivations were for us.

>How did you fuck it up?
My character tried to kill a downed villainous NPC that had slaughtered hundreds of people. An allied NPC stopped him, letting the villain get away. I called him out on it in-character and turned around to leave. The allied NPC stabbed my character in the back, killing him instantly. The allied NPC was a Paladin, by the way. At that point the entire group just got up and left in disgust at how bullshit the game was.

>What's the hardest you've derailed a game?
In my last (completed) campaign I was in, the Big Bad was trying to hunt down my character because she had powers/abilities he needed for his grand scheme, so he'd either have her join him or he'd kill her and take the powers for himself. I colluded with the other players to have them hand over my character, as if they were giving her up in exchange for their lives, and had my character bluff that she wanted to kill her former friends for selling her out. Then, when the Big Bad was at his most vulnerable fighting the rest of the party, she turned on him and killed him.

We did all this without telling the GM that this was our plan all along. We basically lied to him and acted like this was what our characters were really thinking. He was really hurt that we deceived him, and it really ruined his campaign. I'm not proud of what I did, not at all.
>>
>>46683780
>Especially when the sole trait of that person was to disallow that sort of thing
That's not what he said about the GM.
>>
>>46683887
LCB
>>
>>46683878
>I'm simply saying that just because a story seems strange doesn't mean it's impossible or trash.

A story that works against itself isn't simply "strange", it's a poorly written and nonsensical mistake that shatters any suspension of disbelief. OMH consists of the writer failing to appreciate what the GM has control over but still hoping to try and write a story where a player manages to outmaneuver them. It was an admirable attempt, but it failed utterly.

>Give me an example of a story that IS realistic and good.

Before I answer, I want to know why you are asking.

Are you actually looking for a good story, or are you looking for something that you can attack and exaggerate how much you dislike it in an attempt to prove a point?
>>
>>46682397

Haha, you saw that. I think I posted that thing like 4 years ago. Damn how time flies!
>>
File: that dm feel.jpg (46 KB, 453x443) Image search: [Google]
that dm feel.jpg
46 KB, 453x443
>>46683975

Just give an example,
>>
>>46683962
Two things. That's not really a story about people playing a game nor is it a story that you can post in a screencap.

The other thing is that it's a really underwhelming story and most of it was riding on hype and people contributing additional OC as it was being written. It is well written but because it was unfinished and where it stopped I just came away with: That's it? Arguably things just got started. I was lied to there's the possibility of romance but it never really bloomed at the point it stopped.
>>
>>46683938
>That's not what he said about the GM.
THIS

>>46683054
>A character from a story about a guy who wanted to "strike back" against an GM that never let his players do anything, and it's all about how the GM just lets him do whatever he wants and get away with things even a rather permissive GM would have to say "no, that's retarded."
>>46683780
> Especially when the sole trait of that person was to disallow that sort of thing, and that trait being the reason that player felt justified in making the game an exercise in how far a GM would allow them to do whatever they wanted to do, without raising the millions of objections that they had every right and opportunity to raise?

Okay, this is exactly the shit I hate.
Love OMH, hate OMH, or anything in between?
Fine, don’t care.

But if you are going to take the time to repeatedly shitpost the same things you hate about a story?
LEARN TO READ FIRST!

Those that love to hate Henderson constantly cite the impossibility of a railroading GM allowing the character to do the things he does.
At no point in any of the telling of the Henderson stories did anyone say the GM “never let his players do anything”.
The problem they had with the GM was not railroading or fascist control of everything.
The problem they had was that the GM was doing stupid bullshit like killing a PC by dropping a horse out of a plane on their character, in Call of Cthulhu.
It’s a story about the GM trying to do his stupid bullshit, allowing Henderson to do “whatever” because he was focused on getting back to his bullshit, and Henderson’s bullshit derailing the GM’s bullshit even more.

Old Man Henderson might be stupid, might be made up, and might trigger autists, but it has nothing to do with “a railroading GM that never lets his players do anything.”
Learn. To. Read.
>>
>>46684390
>It’s a story about the GM trying to do his stupid bullshit, allowing Henderson to do “whatever” because he was focused on getting back to his bullshit, and Henderson’s bullshit derailing the GM’s bullshit even more.

Are you the original writer? It's hard to imagine that there's more than one person in the entire world who thinks that what you just wrote makes any sense.
>>
>>46676709

Oh boy. So, it was a campaign my buddy's friend was running, so I figured I'd jump in and rolled an Orc Beserker. The plot was something along the lines of, "Hey you guys have been asleep 1000 years and now everythings fucked up." And we kind of just got pushed from place to place in some kind of confusing array of events.

Point being I started derailing by literally smashing EVERYTHING. And then I realized I was derailing and just being a retard, so I quietly excused myself and then the game crashed and burned two sessions later.
>>
>>46683436
So much salt
>>
>>46683290
>>46682611
It struck me, i really liked drsgon age origins, but i keep catching myself thinking
>ugh redcliffe
>ugh mage tower
>ugh dalish
>fucking dorf politics god damn it
Everytime i replay it.
>>
>>46684516
I’m tempted to simply refer to the last line of my post , but I’ll humor you.

>It’s a story about the GM trying to do his stupid bullshit, allowing Henderson to do “whatever” because he was focused on getting back to his bullshit, and Henderson’s bullshit derailing the GM’s bullshit even more.
Let’s break it down into smaller sections for you.

>It’s a story about the GM trying to do his stupid bullshit,
The story is about the GM trying to do the things that he wants to have done in the game, that seem to have nothing to do with the entertainment or engagement of the players as would hopefully be the case.
Hence, it is the GM’s “bullshit”.

> allowing Henderson to do “whatever” because he was focused on getting back to his bullshit,
The story is also about the GM allowing Henderson to initiate activities and actions that are unrelated.
The GM might allow this because he is uninterested in the characters they have created after he killed their last ones and the GM is focused on doing the things he wants to have done, his “bullshit”.
The GM’s emotional response to the players’ actions is, essentially, “whatever”.
Hence, I referred to Henderson’s actions as “whatever.”

>and Henderson’s bullshit derailing the GM’s bullshit even more.
The story is also about Henderson doing the things Henderson wants do, his “bullshit”, and how that further prevents the GM from quickly doing the things he wants to have done, his “bullshit”.
Henderson’s actions have moved the events of the game away from their intended path.
Hence, I used the term “derailing”.
>>
File: maoCIV1.png (18 KB, 639x400) Image search: [Google]
maoCIV1.png
18 KB, 639x400
>>46677024
>>46677024
it's also completely invented, just like that edgardo bullshit and most of /tg/'s pet stories, but try telling that to the sperg vanguard on here
>>
>>46685121
Does there exist a /tg/ pet story that is good, about playing a game, and (optionally) actually happened?
>>
>>46685194
Most of the DF ones probably happened. The ones about killing furry DMPCs (Fur Heresy, Chakats Meet the Hammer of the Emperor) are way more plausible because the games end right as the players start fucking over their idiot DM's game, but I'd freely admit those are probably embellished at least a little.

That Guy Destroys All Psionics could be true - again, because the game ends and/or resets right when the player starts fucking it up and ruining everything. That's the difference between stories like that and Edgardo or Old Man Henderson, where you'd have to have a game being DMed by a houseplant for that kind of shit to go the way it's written.

Henderson also just isn't as entertaining as the ones I just brought up. Edgardo's more entertaining than Henderson, but there's no fucking way that happened.
>>
>>46685239
Wasn't Edgardo freeform or some bullshit like that? That means it could happen, because it's freeform, but any idiot could do that to it's not really impressive.
>>
>>46685239
How about big boy blue? Where does that rate on the plausibility meter?
>>
File: maopodium.jpg (18 KB, 319x421) Image search: [Google]
maopodium.jpg
18 KB, 319x421
>>46685307
He mentioned in the story that there were mods basically behaving as event DMs.

Even all that aside, it's pretty convenient that there is (and was) zero hard evidence for this forum anywhere on the internet. I know of forums like it, but the fact that the author couldn't produce anything pertaining to this one but had the whole story mapped out so well in his head is really dubious.

It could've happened, just like all the stories I brought up easily might not have happened, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.
>>
>>46685333
I think stories about huge gross fucks horning in on games and being creepy is pretty plausible.

Big Boy Blue pushes its luck with the whole "writing a letter" and the mention of a "beautiful peasant girl." Still, it's a stronger maybe than something like Henderson or most of the really elaborate SS13 stories.
>>
>>46683731
I haven't actually seen Oinkbane posted in a loong time, while regularly seeing the others.

And hell he's actually the best of the bunch imo - I really hate that pretending to be a true story shit.
>>
>>46685121
Once upon a time, some guy made up a story about subverting a forum of one piece RP by making a big crew of newbies to oppose individually powerful big-shot pirates.
Obvious parallels to Edgardo, refusal to show anything, etc.

/tg/ proceeded to go find a random one piece RP forum and make a fucking crew on it to make it reality.
>>
>>46685441
Oinkbane is definitely top-tier because it's not "and then the GM got OWNED TO THE MOON and einstein stepped in to give me a crisp hundred dollar bill."

A lot of /tg/ fiction is trash too, tho. Da Blue Grot can eat my ass and so can pretty much all of the 40k pantshitting of the past few years. People who go to bat for these things because people who don't like them "must be new" have a special kind of autism.
>>
PC decided to fight a NPC due to ethical issue.

NPC won, but GM brutally killed PC. As in, KO'ed PC with 3+ "Nat 20's" in a row, then drowned the PC in a river over a dozen turns.

GM said he didn't like the tone this set for his game. So he restarted the session and forced the PC to agree with his NPCs actions.
>>
>>46685339
>>46685307
>>46685239
>He mentioned in the story that there were mods basically behaving as event DMs.
That makes Edgardo somewhat plausible - the GMs may have been actually supportive of shaking up the status quo of the game and considering it a fun event.
>>
>>46676709
Hardest railroad? Every Narrative Mechanics game ever by anyone.

Haha no but seriously yes.

Hardest I've ever seen a game de-railed? BQ, and it's done by Soma pretty much every fucking thread.
>>
>>46685500
I thought it was generally accepted that /tg/'s tau OCs are terrible. Whether you're an old or newfag. They're sergal tier.
>>
>>46685510
In the story they seemed to alternate between ignoring them and trying to fuck them over. Sure, maaaaaybe they were subverting everything like puppetmasters, but I don't really think I can earnestly ascribe that kind of thing to the kind of people that would run an anime roleplay forum.

Plus there's always the biggest issue of there being no evidence for shit going down on a forum, the one place where you don't have the usual tabletop excuse for having nothing to show for it.
>>
File: maofatfuck.jpg (197 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
maofatfuck.jpg
197 KB, 620x414
>>46685520
Yeah I guess Da Blue Grot is kind of a shit example. Nobody besides fetishists ever liked that to begin with.
>>
>>46685520
What is it with /tg/ and tau girls anyway? You've got Xeno, Blue, and that fucking diaperfag who projected his fetish onto the whole race and wanked in tau threads. It's like you guys went out of your way to make anything linked to them exceptionally terrible. I love you /tg/, but sometimes. Holy shit.
>>
>>46685117
That was well done. If I wasn't already in your camp, you'd have convinced me.
>>
>>46683436
>OMH DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!1111

What's next, faggots? Deffwotch? I'd love to see that, because I'm fairly sure Shas'o still has the logs.
>>
File: koka.jpg (50 KB, 627x472) Image search: [Google]
koka.jpg
50 KB, 627x472
>>46685628
what is this autistic obsession you have where OMH had to happen in order for you not to hang yourself in your closet or something

a shit story propped up to be real is, in fact, fake and even more shit as a result

i'm sorry you're losing all the terrible meme touchstones that kept you from waddling onto the freeway in a fit of sperg rage
>>
>>46685660
Produce something better, then you get to trash-talk.

And no, LCB isn't "better". It's the most boring, fanfic-tier drivel on 1d4chan. Fuck, it even has a "pairing".
>>
>>46685683
fanfic-tier? It IS fanfiction. By definition.
>>
File: KING OF ISLAM.jpg (24 KB, 253x252) Image search: [Google]
KING OF ISLAM.jpg
24 KB, 253x252
>>46685683
have you ever heard someone say "i don't have to be a master chef to know when i've been served dog food"

it's not hard to make up a story about a mean ol' DM and how i totally owned him with the power of my monkey cheese dishwasher random humor XDDDDDDD

LCB can blow me desu, i'm not the same guy who said that was a good story but at least nobody's pretending LCB actually happened

go back to your tiji sector circlejerk you cuck
>>
>>46683771
>big boy blue
The only story with more bs in it than old man Henderson.

Anyone have the screencap of when big boy blue's writer came back and was massively called out on his bullshit?

>bbb caused my girlfriend to commit suicide after she left me a message on my answering machine
>but a friend of mine deleted the message so I don't have it anymore... and phone records don't exist
>no, the police never looking into it, and I never contacted them about it
>you guys don't get it, his dad is really rich, that's why I can never do anything about it
>...
>n-no guys... he's really, really rich... totally...
>>
Was force married to an evil and cruel dragon, and expected to roleplay out the abusive relationship. To be fair the end result was kind of cool, but not worth having to deal with the DM basically getting to play a sadistic dragon with a chip on her shoulder.
>>
Who cares if a story is fake as long as you enjoy reading it?
>>
File: maodeadpan.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
maodeadpan.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>46685700
the ending is also such a fucking wankfest

i still think it's at least SLIGHTLY more plausible than OMH but that means it's some fraction higher than absolute zero
>>
>>46685690
Yeah, and these assblasted faggots are touting it as "good". Don't get me wrong, there's some bad shit on 1d4chan, but if you're looking for "deep literature" on 4chan, you're fucking retarded. 4chan is a place for arguably funny stories, such as OMH, or Deffwotch, or 2d's storytime, or All Guardsmen Party, etc.

You won't find any grand artistic merit here and frankly, if you're looking for it in this place of all places, you need to get your head out of your own ass.

TBF, I don't see much new, good content on here. Nobody story times jack shit anymore because of the "THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN! MUH HIGH LITERATURE!" contrarians, so /tg/ has gotten a bit boring.
>>
>>46685722
It's completely unplausible for so many reasons, even within his little narrative the part where he says:

>I never told anyone about what happened
>...
>no you guys I've told lawyers about it and they said that his dad has too much money...

Should be the final nail in the coffin.
>>
This thread got derailed. Maybe that's the true power of Old Man Henderson.
>>
File: maoclasp.jpg (11 KB, 246x294) Image search: [Google]
maoclasp.jpg
11 KB, 246x294
>>46685743
and you're touting OMH as real

nobody's asking for "high literature," but the willingness of droolers like you to believe obvious bullshit is depressing and it's funny to watch you flip out when you realize not everyone in your sekrit club is buying it
>>
>>46676709
Durind an M&M campaign I somehow ended up creating the Independent Black States of America.
>>
>>46685753
This is metarailment.
>>
>>46685695
Dog food is usually high quality meat. People care about their pets.
>>
>>46685365
Some of those SS13 stories are real; Things really can get that crazy.

I myself debunked the "paladin overthrows the GM story", thougg.
>>
>>46685763
Please story time, that sounds fantastic.
>>
>>46685750
that's a pretty persistent problem in the story, too
the author gets greedy and thinks he can make up whatever the fuck he wants, either to shore up his earlier bullshit or to make the story more interesting
and yet spergaloids like >>46685743 would declare jihad on you for saying it didn't absolutely happen
>>
>>46685761
Did you even read his post? He said OMH and the like was 'arguably funny'. Not true.
>>
File: maofuckgrin.jpg (2 MB, 2894x2256) Image search: [Google]
maofuckgrin.jpg
2 MB, 2894x2256
>>46685775
i'll give you some high quality meat you contrarian fuck
>>
>>46685787
read
>>46685792
They're morons, jimmy. They're all morons. Then again, it IS 4chan...
>>
>>46685761
My point is all your whining about "X didn't happen" is something new content creators will see and decide to go elsewhere. Hell, it's the first thing they'll see and their reaction is going to be "fuck you".

It doesn't matter if it was real or not. It's the internet. You have no fucking way of knowing. What matters is that it's entertaining. Posting "waaah, it could nevah happen, waaah" like a four year old overdosing on skepticism is possibly the dumbest, most self-defeating thing people have ever done here. Nobody really cares if it was real or not, but all we hear is your butthurt whining every fucking time someone brings up a story, no matter what it is.
>>
>>46685792
i was giving him too much credit

it'd be funny if it were true, but the fact that it's fictional unfunny drivel verging on lolrandom humor makes it even worse

at least if it actually happened it'd have that kind of absurdity going for it, and the fact that the author went to such lengths to make it look like it was real is fucking depressing

short of that, he just has shit taste and is a moron either way
>>
>>46685817
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'arguably'? I don't think you do.
>>
>>46685814
>new content creators will see that we won't believe attention seeking bullshit you spew on the internet and go elsewhere

oh woe is me

nobody's whining, by the way, we're just not interested in seeing unfunny bullshit reposted a million times because spuds like you think it's the pinnacle of comedy

we've had people like you sucking henderson's greasy dick for years, where are the inspired, welcomed new content creators giving you fresh memes to cum over?
>>
>>46685830
"arguably" doesn't mean "provided you're completely retarded" the last time i checked
>>
>>46685831
>Where are the new content creators?

Case in fucking point.
>>
>>46685720
Reading fake shit that's touted as truth is just foolish. I don't mind reading a fake story, but don't say it's real and act assblasted that you get called out on ullshit.
>>
>>46685848
Never leave your home and don't ever visit pubs.
>>
>>46685843
you should read all of a sentence instead of half the sentence

you've done your part to shit your pants and scream if anyone calls OMH fake, unfunny bullshit and preserve an environment that's friendly to content creators

so, where are they
>>
>>46685840
It means an argument can be made for it being funny, and several people do find it funny. In any case, all of our jimmies are well and truly rustled.
>>
>>46685843
>wanting new content creators
>>46674122
>>
>>46685866
an argument like "shut up you're just new, that's why you don't like this godawful story"

unless you have a different one, because that's all i've ever seen
>>
>>46685862
do pub stories normally get repeated every single time you go into a pub for years after the drunken shithead first told the story
>>
I think you guys are lost

>>46683496
>>
>>46685864
Are you for real? Do you have papers that prove you're human? Come on, you can't be this fucking dumb...
>>
>>46685881
Going any further into it would be trying to dissect comedy and prove why it's funny. Which is kind of defeating the point.
>>
>>46685898
How the fuck do you think we got folklore in the first place?
>>
>>46685914
i'm just asking what you find funny in it
if you think "purple monkey cheese dishwasher" humor is to your tastes, that's fine, i'm just curious
>>
Well this one time we killed the Goddess of Vengeance and had our paladin replace her.
>>
>>46685930
That just gets a roll of the eyes. And you'd have to specify what exactly you want me to tell you about, you offer nothing but 'it'. There's several stories being talked about.
>>
File: 1427192879930.gif (65 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1427192879930.gif
65 KB, 400x400
>>46685781
>Playing as a black character during the 60s in USA
>Racism is still a notable thing around
>Don't really care that much, I still get to make my music, be with my bros and save the world dressed as Doctor Fate with wings
>All the Martin Luther King movement starts to happen
>Another black superhero is going to get executed for crimes against the nation in a few weeks, even though he's innocent
>Not on my watch
>Start getting close to Martin Luther King and help his movement
>Explain what's going to happen, form a big protest
>Police gets violent
>Reveal myself as a superhero, save the guy, control the police
>All of this without killing a single person
>I was some kind of mega symbol of the USA because I look like some sort of angel
>Black people start idolozing me
>MLK wants me to help his movement
>Somehow manage to put every pro-black movement in the USA under the same flag
>Malcolm X decides it's time for a place for black american people to live in peace
>Government is scared shit about me because I'm known to go apeshit and destroy literally anything in my path when justice isn't met
>Some more boring things happen
>Boom, Independent Black States
>I'm their religious symbol, the prophet, the messiah
>I was suposed to be saving the world during this time, though
>>
>>46685954
if you wanna be evasive, be my guest senpai
>>
>>46685959
This guy knows what's up. Let's get back on topic.
>>
>>46685975
No seriously, give me one and I'll tell you. I personally agree with >>46685977 , but I'm willing to satisfy your strange, cynical brand of autism.
>>
>>46685985
dude, it's cool, i get that you don't want to talk about it

i'll take my cynical brand of autism and you can take your garden-variety autism and go back to your terrible stories
>>
>>46686003
Now who's evasive?
>>
>>46676709
I don't know if this counts as a railroad; give me your opinion /tg/. Sometimes it's worth something.

I was DMing a M&M game. Intro to the game is my two players have been hired off the street as low level metahumans in a world where roughly 50% of the population is meta of varying power. They are trained for a few weeks and tasked with infiltrating a kidnapping ring and figuring out where it is and maybe what they're up to. They began with power level 6 characters, but no points in powers. Later they would gain powers and I would give them PP to allocate into their powers.

They manage to get kidnapped and wake up in a cross between a spring training camp and a concentration camp underground. They're prisoners and they have to stick to a routine, but most of the routine is just physical training and there's no real abuse. Overall the atmosphere is more of a health retreat, if not for the many armed guards wandering the perimeter.

One of my players got kidnapped by beating the shit out of one of the bad guys. He wakes up with a metal collar clearly labeled "THIS EXPLODES." During breakfast he finds someone who has the power to redirect attacks against her back to the attacker and delights in trying to beat the shit out of her, beating the shit out of himself in the process. Suddenly fort rolls ensue, and his ass is knocked out. Wakes up in the infirmary, is informed the collars also release knockout gas. Later that afternoon he tries to question one of the people running the exercises about what's going on, why ar they being held, etc. The give apropriately vague and villainous answers before going into the building that it has been stressed is off-limits to prisoners. He follows her in despite my reminders that he knows the building is off-limits. Cue tasers in the butthole, over and over.
Cont. didn't realize this was so long.
>>
>>46686010
if it wasn't you you'd have answered the question by now ;^)
>>
>>46686021
I'm offering to tell you what I think of these stories. Which one?
>>
>>46686028
you could literally scroll up a few posts and look at which one yourself you lazy turd
>>
>>46686011
>someone who has the power to redirect attacks against her back to the attacker
>wearing an explosive collar

That's just begging for someone to test things...
>>
>>46685959
I just want to confess to everyone ITT that for a couple of minutes I thought about samefagging the fuck out of this post, turning off my custom CSS, and capping it and samefag praise it in every 'best of /tg/' threads until some idiots actually go along with it, then a few people would get pissy about it becoming a pet story whilst I laugh at all the drama it would've created.
>>
>>46686044
Personally, I don't care. It's your autism I'm satisfying, not mine. If you want it satisfied, do it yourself.
>>
>>46686059
shockingly i'm not that interested in the reasoning behind your poor taste
i'll go to my grave perfectly content never knowing why you like garbage in the ken of OMH
>>
>>46686062
One man's garbage, another man's comedy. Let's unrustle our jimmies and get back on topic.
>>
>>46686011
He wakes up in his bunk sometime during the night. He decides he is going to leave the room. Goes out to the exercise yard, spins in circles with weights until he pukes, then sits down and waits. I send out an npc janitor to clean it up and attempt to engage him in conversation to figure out what the shit this player is doing.
>"Hello. I am Gustav. I clean mess. Who are you?"
>"Name, rank, and identification."
>"Uh... Gustav. Janitor?"
>"Name, rank, identification."
>"Gustav. Janitor. I have a mop?"
etc. Eventually Gustav cleans up the puke and goes inside. The next morning he's still there, having spent the night outside. Morning muster happens, he's still sitting there. A couple of guards come out and try to talk to him. This is the point where I drop the hook specially made for this character; a fight club type thing that happens at night. I figure it'd be a good chance for the other player to sneak off and do mission objectives or something.

He keeps it up, and the guards go back inside. Three much larger guards armed with tasers come out. He dodges the tasers, but doesn't do anything else, so once again he is gassed. this time he goes into the secret building and doesn't come out. The rest of the 3 hours of the session I focus entirely on the other player, not once mentioning anything about him. At the end he wakes up to the guy who runs the camp, an evil scientist. I figure this is a grand time for him to learn about the evil guy since he's a prominent villain.
The doctor ignores this and has a chilling one-sided conversation before leaving the character to be tortured with an earlier version of the power giving raygun, which is how he gets his powers.

So that's that. Was me knocking his ass out for 80% of an entire session railroading? Technically he had fort saves against the gas, but honestly they just kept pumping more at him til he failed.
>>
>>46686062
Not that anon, but you're the person dumb enough to ask "Why do you like something?". Top kek, retard.
>>
>>46686075
>n-now who's evasive, heh.... i sure showed that ASSBURGER
>>
>>46686058
That sounds hilarious. Shame you didn't.
>>
>>46686058
it would've worked

there's still time
>>
>>46686084
>>i-i sure showed that AUTIST who wants to get back on topic, heh heh
>>
>>46686104
do you get like a sperg flare-up if posts don't stay on topic or something

we neurotypicals are able to adapt to the flow of a conversation
>>
>>46686118
Actually, I find it kind of ironic that a thread about derails got derailed itself.
>>
>>46686077
Sounds like the player was just being a fucking retard. You're under no obligation to engage lolsorandom players with no conceivable reason for acting the way they do. He blocked every attempt at interaction. Fuck him.
>>
>>46683508
>stopped reading here.
What's hilarious is that its nearly the end of the post.
>>
>>46685117
>>46684390
Well then why had the GM not, at any point, killed henderson by another horse from a plane?
>>
>>46686077
Sounds like player was just fucking with you and your game. He deserves everything he gets.
>>
>>46676709
My group doesn't derail railroading, we just make choo choo noises until the point is made
>>
>>46677113
It's like the guy in the movie theatre who won't shut up about how unrealistic the John Woo movie is. You really can't be mad, even if he's interrupting the movie; only amused by how agitated he gets.
>>
>>46685117
.>The story is about the GM trying to do the things that he wants to have done in the game, that seem to have nothing to do with the entertainment or engagement of the players as would hopefully be the case.
Hence, it is the GM’s “bullshit”.

This is called "railroading", or, in other words "not letting players do shit."

>The GM’s emotional response to the players’ actions is, essentially, “whatever”.

No, it's "Yes, I will allow what no one would allow. I will permit you to succeed at whatever you want, even things that would ordinarily result in people dying under even the best circumstances." That's hardly "whatever." It's not casual permission, it is aid, assistance, cooperation, and in some cases even conspiracy.

>Hence, I used the term “derailing”.

At what point, what point, do you really expect the GM to not do what he wants to do? What part of Henderson's bullshit is not completely stoppable, even just by having the character die when it would be appropriate or even randomly, as the GM was known to do?

At no point, no point whatsoever, would the GM have to go along with GM's "bullshit." No GM would, largely because most of his bullshit was the stuff that had a hundred reasons as to why they would fail, and not even rare circumstances, just reasonable and expected concerns that were ignored for the sake of letting Henderson "get away" with "derailing."

You're trying rather hard, but you're really just trying to avoid the fact that the story is about a player trying to gain agency from a GM that was known for limiting player agency and doing what he wanted, and the GM allowing that player to do whatever he wanted at the cost of his own designs, regardless of how you want to avoid saying that while still ultimately agreeing.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.