[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've heard Axis and Allies is considered the greatest war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1459354445942.jpg (126 KB, 911x615) Image search: [Google]
1459354445942.jpg
126 KB, 911x615
I've heard Axis and Allies is considered the greatest war game. Which version is he best to play? Alternatively, what's another wargame that has a large amount of depth?
Pic unrelated
>>
Dear christ the dice rolling can be pure bullshit sometimes. Also Germany will get truckfucked if you're playing against two competent players.
>>
>>46673193
Just like in real life then
>>
>>46672752

Axis and Allies is one of the worst wargames ever conceived.

Go pick up something by GMT games or DvG games. Anything. It doesn't matter. It will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the hell better than axis & failies.

If you want help narrowing it down, try dropping by the historical wargame general thread or the board game general thread.
>>
>>46672752
>a large amount of depth

Campaign for North Africa.
>>
>>46673193
>Play Germany
>Buy nothing but upgrade dice first turn
>Get Heavy Bombers and the production costs one
>Rek everyone in two more turns
>>
>>46673259
Why would you do this? This is overkill. The only worse thing I could think of would be a full-scale game of Harpoon.
>>
>>46673193
Germany being truckfucked (I don't even know what that means) seems perfectly accurate.
>>
>>46673259
I'm not interested in a game that will take half of my life to complete. Any other recommendations?
>>
>>46673193
Not sure which edition I was playing, but I usually did okay as Germany when I used infantry and artillery instead of just spamming tanks at Russia. The defensive capabilities really helped with holding onto those territories.

Also, I found that spending more time and money prepping for D-day means it takes the allies longer to feel confident about attacking, and I could smack them back out of Europe more easily.
>>
Which version of Axis and Allies is the best to pick up? 1940?
>>
>>46672752
the best version to play is the new one global edition. its the european one and the pacific one put together..expensive but so worth it.
>>
>>46673243
Thanks anon. I'll look in other threads
>>
While its not strictly a war game, Twilight Imperium has a huge amount of depth (especially with both expansions), a significant part of which is military.

But then theres also things like voting in the galactic council, negotiating trade agreements, exploring new star systems, and the like as well.
>>
>>46673278
I dont remember upgrade dice being in my version. My buddy has the second one, I think.

>>46673407
We had to make a house rule limiting the number of infantry you can stack on one province because of that ridiculous infantry cost/defense ratio. Prevented a couple drinks while screaming in silly accents and rolling dice from turning into a 48 hour binge drink and brawl that few would survive.

The board is great for homebrew wargames. Had a lot of fun using little pieces I 3D printed. Little F22's and ICBMs and Grads.
>>
>>46675459
>We had to make a house rule limiting the number of infantry you can stack on one province because of that ridiculous infantry cost/defense ratio. Prevented a couple drinks while screaming in silly accents and rolling dice from turning into a 48 hour binge drink and brawl that few would survive.
Only time I saw that being a problem was when Japan was about have its shit slapped, and stacked a bazillion guys on their main island. Didn't help much, but it did drag the game out somewhat. I always try to buy infantry with artillery so I can actually attack people, so it usually doesn't lead to absurd stacks unless I've been building up for a few turns.

Also, the people I played with usually called the game once one of the players' capitals were taken, since at that point the game was more or less decided. We could get through one or two games in an evening like that.
>>
>>46673398
But think of all the shoelaces you could manage!!!
>>
File: nowcomesthepart.gif (1 MB, 320x228) Image search: [Google]
nowcomesthepart.gif
1 MB, 320x228
>>46672752
>Axis and Allies is considered the greatest war game

Try Campaign for North Africa
>>
>>46673499
Twilight Imperium is dogshit. I would rather stare at a wall for twelve hours.
>>
File: desert war.jpg (77 KB, 500x686) Image search: [Google]
desert war.jpg
77 KB, 500x686
>>46672752
>greatest war game
>not Desert War
literally played a single game of this for an entire year
>>
A&A is a boardgame. Long to play but fuck is it satisfying to win. Especially if you played poorfag USSR.
>>
I know the version of axis and allies I owned was a solved game (with dice fuckery ofc)

Germany rolled a shitton of research die to get the rockets upgrade and then shot the UK and Russia out of money
>>
>>46673278
>not spending all your upgrade dice on Long Range Aircraft so you can take Britain before they've even had a chance to move by using all your planes as fodder

This was actually possible in 3e; dunno if they fixed it in later versions.
>>
>>46681083
I don't know about solved, but I recall doing very well whenever I got rockets as Germany.

Couldn't USSR or UK do the same thing though? Or do they just not have enough dosh for it?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.